Search billions of records on
Van Wagenen's (R. L.) Infantry. See New York Troops, 145th Regiment.

APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.--The Chancellorsville Campaign.
No. 2.--Organization of the Army of the Potomac, commanded by Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, May 1-6, 1863.


Second Brigade.
20th Connecticut:
Lieut. Col. William B. Wooster.
Maj. Philo. B. Buckingham.
3d Maryland. Lieut. Col. Gilbert P. Robinson.
123d New York, Col. Archibald L. McDougall.
145th New York:
Col. E. Livingston Pries.
Capt. George W. Reid.

Second Brigade.
Killed Wounded
Staff .... .... 1 .... 1 .... 2
20th Connecticut 1 10 4 56 5 93 469
3d Maryland 1 10 3 42 1 28 85
123d New York 1 15 4 110 .... 18 148
145th New York 1 3 1 32 2 56 95
Total Second Brigade 4 38 13 240 9 195 499

Lieut William H. Poole, 145th Infantry. (killed)

Alternate name of the 145th
Price's (E. Livingston)Infantry. See New York Troops, 145th Regiment
Also, Reid's (George W.) Infantry Also Van Wagenen's (R. L.) Infantry

APRIL 27-MAY 6, 1863.--The Chancellorsville Campaign.
No. 271.--Report of Maj. George W. Reid, One hundred and forty-fifth New York Infantry.

SIR: This regiment, commanded by Col. E. Livingston Price, started from camp near Stafford Court-House, Va., April 27. After several days' marching, we joined the main body of the army near the Rappahannock, at a place called Kelly's Ford. We marched from thence without any particular molestation until we reached Chancellorsville, where we encamped May 1, and by order commenced throwing up breastworks and digging rifle-pits. Our position at this time was about the center of the Twelfth Corps, which occupied the right flank of the army. Our brigade was commanded by Colonel Ross, acting brigadier in the division under General Ruger.
On Friday, May 1, we participated in the feint which resulted in the capture of the United States Ford, and on the afternoon of the same day about 60 of our men were skirmishing with the enemy in front of the rifle-pits.

On Saturday, May 2, we advanced from our fortifications to attack the enemy's left, where our colonel was wounded and went to the rear, when the command devolved upon Maj. George W. Reid. We finally were ordered to return again to our intrenchments. During the night we lay very much exposed to the artillery practice, which was terrific from both sides, for two hours.
On Sunday, May 3, we were again attacked by the enemy in overpowering numbers, and obliged to retire to the woods, but rallied and again attempted to hold our former position, but the fire being severe, and the regiments on our flank breaking in disorder, by orders we fell back to the brick house and again rallied. We afterward joined the brigade commanded by General Knipe, when we were placed in position on the left, nearest the United States Ford, and remained there until orders were received requiring every regiment to return to its respective camp.
Respectfully submitted.

Major, Comdg. 145th Regiment New York Vols.
Capt. A. B. JUDD,
Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.

Alternate designation during Gettysburg Campaign:
Brown's (Hiram L.) Infantry. See Pennsylvania Troops, 145th Regiment.
Price's (E. Livingston) Infantry.

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] -- Gettysburg Campaign
No. 9. -- Organization of the Army of the Potomac, Maj. Gen. George G. Meade, U.S. Army, commanding, at the battle of Gettysburg, July 1-3, 1863.

Maj. Gen. HENRY W. SLOCUM.(*)
10th Maine (four companies), Capt. John D. Beardsley.
First Brigade.
5th Connecticut, Col. W. W. Packer.
20th Connecticut, Lieut. Col. William B. Wooster.
3d Maryland, Col. Jos. M. Sudsburg.
123d New York:
Lieut. Col. James C. Rogers.
Capt. Adolphus H, Tanner.
145th New York, Col. E. L. Price.
46th Pennsylvania, Col. James L. Selfridge,

O.R.--SERIES I--VOLUME XXVII/1 [S# 43] -- Gettysburg Campaign
No. 280. -- Report of Col. E. Livingston Price,
One hundred and Forty-fifth New York Infantry.

July 23, 1863.
CAPTAIN: In compliance with orders, I have the honor to submit the following report of the services rendered by my command during the operations of this army, from July I to 15:
On the morning of July 1, my command moved from Littlestown, Pa., and halted about 2 miles from Gettysburg, where it was drawn up in line of battle on the right of the Gettysburg pike. Heavy cannonading being heard in the direction of Gettysburg, we were ordered to advance with the brigade to within supporting distance <ar43_800> of the Eleventh Corps, but afterward, by orders received from General Williams, we retired to an open space beyond the woods, where we encamped for the night.
About 4 o'clock on the morning of the 2d instant, I received orders to be in readiness to move farther to the front, in order to take up a new line.
At 6 o'clock I accordingly moved my command to the front by the way of the Gettysburg turnpike, and, after maneuvering a short time, I was ordered to form my regiment in the second line of battle, parallel with and behind a stone wall, some 125 feet in rear of the first line. The Third Maryland Volunteers formed on the left and the Fifth Connecticut Volunteers on the right of my command. I would state that the position occupied by my command was some 200 or 300 yards northeast of the Gettysburg pike, on the crest of a hill covered with heavy timber. The ground was of a rough and rocky nature, and affording good means of defense.
About 12 m. I received orders to detach a company of my command as skirmishers. I accordingly detailed Company K, Captain George W. Reid commanding, and said company was afterward deployed in front of the first line along the line of Rock Creek. My command remained in the position before described until 6.30 p.m. (repairing the stone wall in the meantime, the regiments in the first line building breastworks), at which time I received orders to follow in rear of the Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers toward the left of the general line. My command (excepting Company K, which remained as before stated) then proceeded toward the left a distance of some 2 miles, being exposed to a fire of the enemy's artillery, but without injury to my command. I was then ordered to form my regiment on the left of the Fifth Connecticut Volunteers, in rear of the Fifth Army Corps. Scarcely, however, had my command formed, ere I received an order to return to my former position on the right and follow in the rear of the Fifth Connecticut Volunteers. Upon approaching the former position on the right, it was ascertained that during the absence of our forces the enemy had attacked our skirmishers on Rock Creek, who, after a slight resistance, were driven back, the enemy taking possession of the breastworks built by the regiments in the first line, and the stone wall behind which my command, with other regiments of the same line, had previously formed.
I was then ordered to form my command in an open field about an eighth of a mile in rear of my former position, on the right of the Third Maryland Volunteers, and parallel to my former line behind the stone wall. About this time I received an order to detail a company of skirmishers to report to Capt. E. J. Rice, acting assistant adjutant-general, First Brigade. I accordingly detailed Company C, Capt. S. T. Allen commanding, as skirmishers.
During the formation of the line as above described, a volley was fired directly in front of my command (probably by the enemy's skirmishers), wounding 2 of my men and causing some confusion; order was, however, quickly restored. It was now 10.30 o'clock. In this position my men rested on their arms during the night; nothing unusual occurred.
About 4 o'clock on the morning of the 3d, some twelve guns belonging to artillery, posted some 500 paces in rear of my regiment, opened upon the woods in front of my command, and the skirmishers became briskly engaged. This state of affairs continued about <ar43_801> thirty minutes, when the artillery fire partially ceased and the infantry in front of my line became hotly engaged. Company C was engaged with the enemy, and lost 1 private killed and 2 wounded, when it was recalled, and rejoined my command. The artillery occasionally opened upon the woods in my front, the shells of which barely cleared, the men of my command, who at that time were lying down. Subsequently several of my men were wounded by the fire of our artillery, and, deeming it advisable and proper to report the facts to my commanding officer, I dispatched Sergt. Maj. M. J. Shanly to inform the colonel commanding the brigade that several of my men had been wounded by the fire of our own artillery.
On the delivery of this message, the said Sergeant-Major Shanly was instructed by the commanding officer of the brigade to tell Colonel Price "not to fret." Shortly after the arrival of this message, 3 more of my command were wounded, including a commissioned officer.
In company with Colonel Selfridge, Forty-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, I proceeded to the battery which had injured my command, where I met Major-General Slocum, whom I informed of the injury done by said battery, when my command was withdrawn a short distance, and no further injury inflicted upon it.
My command was afterward moved forward to occupy the position of the day before, the enemy having been driven beyond the stone wall and breastworks before alluded to. My command remained in this position, under a severe fire from the enemy's artillery, until 4.30 o'clock, when it was moved to the support of the center, but had hardly reached there before receiving orders to return to my former position on the right. My regiment was afterward thrown forward into the first line, behind the breastworks, where it engaged the enemy's sharpshooters until darkness put an end to further operations.
I was relieved by the One hundred and twenty-third Regiment New York Volunteers, Captain Tanner commanding, about 8 p.m., and retired to my former position behind the stone wall, where my command rested on their arms during the night.
Nothing unusual occurred during the night save the alarm in the first line which caused it to fire.
On the morning of the 4th, I was again thrown into the front line behind the breastworks, but nothing of importance occurred, the enemy having evacuated his position in our front during the night, leaving his dead upon the field; also many of his wounded. My command was again relieved about 12 o'clock, and again took up a position in the second line, behind the said stone wall; but this time my command was deprived of its former position by the posting of the One hundred and twenty-third New York Volunteers in my former position, and placing me in a small open field to the left of my original position. At this time the weather had changed, and the rain was falling in torrents, wetting my men thoroughly, and depriving them of rest and sleep during the following night.
Thus for four days and three nights were the men of my command subjected to the severest hardships, besides trials and dangers of almost every description; yet throughout all I cannot but speak in the highest terms of both the officers and men of my command. All behaved with a nobleness of spirit well worthy of record; each and every one seemed aware of the great issues involved, and the importance of the struggle in which they were engaged. 51RR--VOL XXVII, PT I <ar43_802>
On the morning of July 5, my command moved at 10.30 o'clock, marching through Littlestown, and encamping just outside that place.
On the morning of the 6th, we again started, continuing the march, passing through the towns of Frederick and Burkittsville, and on Saturday, the 11th instant, [encamped] near Fair Play, Md., about 5 miles from Williamsport, where we were employed during the three days of our stay at this place in throwing up breastworks.
On Sunday, the 14th instant, finding the enemy had fallen back, we followed with the main body of the army, halting near Williamsport.
On the following morning we took up our line of march, and halted near Harper's Ferry, W.. Va.
On the 16th, we moved again a short distance, and encamped at Pleasant Valley, Md., where my command was allowed to rest, and requisitions were made to furnish it with arms, ammunition, and clothing, for which, after such a severe campaign, my command stood greatly in need.
I cannot but mention the valuable services rendered me during the engagement at Gettysburg by Sergt. Maj. M. J. Shanly, who acted as adjutant, the adjutant of my regiment being absent during the battle.
In conclusion, I cannot omit speaking of the nobleness with which my command endured the privations, hardships, and trials of these fifteen days. It marched over 150 miles, engaged the enemy for two or three days at Gettysburg, built breastworks and abatis, was deprived continually of both rest and sleep, performed forced marches of nearly 30 miles per day through mud and rain, sometimes with inadequate rations, and many of my men without shoes or sufficient clothing. When I remember all this; when I consider the trials of these four days and nights before Gettysburg; the great fortitude and courage exhibited by the officers and men of my command; that not a man faltered; that not a single case of disobedience of orders occurred, I am constrained to believe that additional and greater honors await it on future fields of victory.
I have the honor to be, captain, very respectfully, your most obedient servant,
Colonel 145th New York Volunteers.
Capt. E. J. RICE,
A. A. A. G., First Brig., First Div., Twelfth A. C.

MAY 4-JUNE 12, 1864--Campaign from the Rapidan to the James River, Va.
No. 2.--Return of Casualties in the Union forces, commanded by Lieut. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, from the Rapidan to the James River, May-June, 1864.

Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 1 (Campaigns etc.)
Union Regimental Index--New York

145th REGIMENT INFANTRY. ("STANTON LEGION.")--Org. at Staten Island and mustered in Sept. 11, 1862. Sept., 1862, 2 Brig., 1 Div., 12 Corps, Potomac. Oct., 1862, 2 Brig., 2 Div., 12 Corps, Potomac. May, 1863, 2 Brig., 1 Div., 12 Corps, Potomac. May, 1863, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 12 Corps, Potomac. Oct., 1863, 1 Brig., 1 Div., 12 Corps, Cumb'd. Regiment disbanded Dec. 9, 1863

Dyer's Compendium, Pt. 1 (Campaigns etc.)
Western Departments and Armies
Twelfth Army Corps

Transferred From the Army of the Potomac Sept. 25, 1863. Corps discontinued Apr. 14, 1864, and merged into the re-organized 20th Army Corps, Dept. of the Cumberland.

145th N.Y. Infy Sept., 1863 From 1-Brig. 1-Div. 12-Corps Pot. Disbanded Dec., 1863

July 1-3 Battle, Gettysburg NEW YORK--5th, 6th, 8th, 9th and 10th Cavalry; Oneida Cavalry Company; Batteries "B," "C." "D," "E," "G," "I," "K," "L" and "M" 1st Light Arty.; 1st, 3d, 4th, 5th, 6th, 11th, 13th and 15th Indpt. Batteries Light Arty.: 10th 39th, 40th, 41st 42d, 43d, 44th, 45th, 49th, 52d 54th, 57th 58th, 59th, 60th, 61st, 62d, 63d, 64th, 65th 66th, 67th, 68th, 69th, 70th, 71st, 72d, 73d, 74th, 76th, 77th, 78th, 80th, 82d, 83d, 84th, 85th, 88th, 94th, 95th 97th 102d. 104th, 107th, 108th, 111th, 119th, 120th, 121st, 122d, 123d. 124th. 125th, 126th. 134th, 136th, 137th, 140th, 145th. 146th, 147th. 149th

Nov. 9 Reconnoissance from Bolivar Heights to Rippon, W. Va ILLINOIS---12th Cavalry. MAINE--6th Battery Light Arty. MARYLAND--1st Cavalry (2 Cos.); 3d Infantry. NEW YORK--60th, 78th, 102d, 137th, 145th and 149th Infantry. OHIO--5th, 7th, 29th and 66th Infantry. PENNSYLVANIA--Indpt. Batteries "E" and "F" Light Arty.; 28th, 109th, 111th and 147th Infantry.

April 27-May 6 Campaign of Chancellorsville

Sept. 23-Oct. 3. Transfer of 11th and 12th Corps from Army Potomac to Dept. of the Cumberland CONNECTICUT--5th and 20th Infantry. ILLINOIS---82d Infantry. INDIANA--27th Infantry. MARYLAND--3d Infantry. MASSACHUSETTS--2d and 33d Infantry. NEW JERSEY--13th Infantry. NEW YORK--Batteries "I" and "M," 1st Light Arty.; 13th Indpt. Battery Light Arty.; 45th, 58th. 60th, 68th, 78th, 102d, 107th, 119th, 123d, 134th, 136th, 137th, 141st, 143d, 145th, 149th, 150th and 154th Infantry. OHIO--Batteries "I" and "K," 1st Light Arty.; 5th, 7th, 29th, 55th, 61st, 66th, 73d and 82d Infantry. PENNSYLVANIA--Indpt. Battery "E," Light Arty.; 27th, 28th, 29th, 46th, 73d, 75th, 109th, 111th and 147th Infantry. WISCONSIN--3d and 26th Infantry. UNITED STATES--Batteries "F" and "G," 4th Arty.; "K," 5th Arty. <dy_923>

Organized at Staten Island, N.Y., and mustered in September 11, 1862. Left State for Washington, D, C., and Harper's Ferry, W. Va., September 27, 1862. Attached to 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862. 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division, 12th Army Corps, to May, 1863. 2nd Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, May, 1863. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 12th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1863, and Army of the Cumberland, to December, 1863.
SERVICE.--Duty at Bolivar Heights, Md., till December, 1862. Reconnoissance to Rippon, W. Va., November 9. Expedition to Winchester and Skirmishes at Charlestown and Berryville December 2-6. March to Fairfax Station, Va., December 10-14, and duty there till January 19, 1863. Burnside's 2nd Campaign, "Mud March," January 20-24. At Stafford Court House till April 27. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. At Raccoon Ford, Va., till September. Movement to Stevenson, Ala., September 24-October 4. Duty along Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad till December. Regiment disbanded December 9, 1863, and men transferred to 107th, 123rd and 150th New York Infantry.
Regiment lost during service 1 Officer and 14 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 35 Enlisted men by disease. Total 50.


Missing numbers in the line were also caused by transfers of regiments to a different arm of service; the 7th Cavalry became the 1st Mounted Rifles; the 15th and 50th Regiments served as Engineers; the 19th Infantry was changed to the 3d Artillery; the 113th to the 7th Heavy Artillery; the 129th to the 8th Heavy Artillery; the 130th to the 19th Cavalry (1st Dragoons); the 135th to the 6th Heavy Artillery; and the 138th to the 9th Heavy Artillery. The 22d Light Battery, which was organized in October, 1862, was transferred soon after to the 9th Artillery.
For various reasons some of the regiments were discontinued or disbanded before completing their term of enlistment: the 7th Cavalry, organized in October, 1861, was discontinued after six months; the 1st Marine Artillery was mustered out in March. 1863; the 1lth Infantry (Fire Zouaves) was disbanded in May, 1862; the 53d was discontinued in March, 1862; the 55th was transferred to the 38th in December, 1862; the 87th was transferred to the 40th in September, 1862; the 101st was transferred to the 37th in December, 1862; the 145th was disbanded December 9, 1863, and distributed to the 107th, 123d, and 150th Regiments; and the 163d was transferred to the 73d on January 20, 1863. The 190th and 191st were small battalions which did not leave the State, the war ending soon after their organization was commenced. <fx_482>[jump to table]

[Guild Press unified compilation from separate tables]
T Total C Total deaths


Sept.,'62 145th New York 1 14 15 .... 35 35 50 Williams's Twelfth.

New York Volunteers 146th

Organized at Rome, N.Y., and mustered in October 10, 1862. Left State for Washington, D.C., October 11, 1862. Attached to Casey's Division, Defences of Washington, to November, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Army Corps, Army of the Potomac, to March, 1864. 4th Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to April, 1864. 1st Brigade, 1st Division, 5th Army Corps, to June, 1864. 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, 5th Army Corps, to July, 1865.
SERVICE.--Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till November, 1862. Joined Army of the Potomac at Snicker's Gap, Va., November 2. Rappahannock Campaign November, 1862, to June, 1863. Battle of Fredericksburg, Va., December 12-15, 1862. At Falmouth to April 27, 1863. "Mud March" January 20-24. Chancellorsville Campaign April 27-May 6. Battle of Chancellorsville May 1-5. Gettysburg (Pa.) Campaign June 11-July 24. Battle of Gettysburg July 1-3. Pursuit of Lee July 5-24. At Warrenton, Beverly Ford and Culpeper till October. Bristoe Campaign October 9-22. Advance to line of the Rappahannock November 7-8. Rappahannock Station November 7. Mine Run Campaign November 26-December 2. At Beverly Ford, Va., till May, 1864. Campaign from the Rapidan to the James May 3-June 15. Battles of the Wilderness May 5-7. Spottsylvania May 8-12. Laurel Hill May 8. Spottsylvania Court House May 12-21. Assault on the Salient May 12. North Anna River May 23-26. On line of the Pamunkey May 26-28. Totopotomoy May 28-31. Cold Harbor June 1-12. Bethesda Church June 1-3. Before Petersburg June 16-18. Siege of Petersburg June 16, 1864, to April 2, 1865. Mine Explosion, Petersburg, July 30, 1864 (Reserve). Weldon Railroad August 18-21. Poplar Springs Church, Peeble's Farm, September 29-October 2. Boydton Plank Road, Hatcher's Run, October 27-28. Warren's Raid on Weldon Railroad December 7-12. Dabney's Mills, Hatcher's Run, February 5-7, 1865. Appomattox Campaign March 28-April 9. Lewis Farm, near Gravelly Run, March 29. White Oak Road March 31. Five Forks April 1. Fall of Petersburg April 2. Pursuit of Lee April 3-9. Appomattox Court House April 9. Surrender of Lee and his army. March to Washington, D.C., May 1-12. Grand Review May 23. Mustered out at Washington, D. C. July 16, 1865.
Regiment lost during service 7 Officers and 126 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 179 Enlisted men by disease. Total 314.