|William James Balgowan
William was from the parish of Drumblane in Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Their eldest son William was born in Scotland and Janet was born on board the Royal Consort on the voyage out. They left Scotland 1 July 1840 and arrived in Sydney 8 Nov 1840. When he came to NSW, he listed his occupation as farm servant. The family went to the Camden area for some years where the other children were born. On 1 Jan 1859, they bought the 'Dryburgh' property. On April 26 1970, all the buildings were swept away in a great flood. A new house was built further from the river on a rise.
BALGOWAN, William Crookwell Gazette Fri 25.2.1887
Family burial plot "Dryburg", Reid's Flat.
Noted events in his life were:
• He worked as a Farmer before 1838 in Rhynie And Essie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom. 4
• He immigrated free per Royal Consort on 9 Nov 1840 to Botany Bay, Cumberland County, New South Wales. Australian Packet Ships – Free Passage
• He was employed from 1840 to 1840 in Camden, Camden County, New South Wales. 4
• Moved: Camden to Reid's Flat, 1850, Reid's Flat, Monteagle County, New South Wales, Australia. 4
• Moved: 1861, Reid's Flat, Monteagle County, New South Wales. "Dryburgh", Reid's Flat, New South Wales
• He worked as a Farmer at "Dryburgh" in Feb 1859 in Fish River, King County, New South Wales. 4 Lease hold?
• He owned land in 1865 in Reid's Flat, Monteagle County, New South Wales. 4 Purchased the "Dryburgh" property from the Harper family.
William married Jannet Shand, daughter of Robert Shand and Margaret Kemmie, on 28 Jan 1838 in Rhynie And Essie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom.8 (Jannet Shand was born on 10 Feb 1810 in Rhynie And Essie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, United Kingdom,5 died on 12 Oct 1880 in New South Wales 9 and was buried on 14 Oct 1880 in Reid's Flat, Monteagle County, New South Wales 7.)
1 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family Search, M112375. Surety:2
2 Crookwell Gazette, Fri 25.2.1887.
3 jan balgowan, balgowan family file.
Helen V Lloyd, Reid's Flat, On the Banks of the Lachlan (Published in 1999
Printed by Southwood Press Pty Ltd
ISBN 0646279356), 127.
5 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family Search, C112374.
6 NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/), 6560/1887.
Cowra Family History Group, Rugby Rye Park & Reids Flat Burials (Published 2001
cowra Family History Group Inc.
P.O. Box 495
Cowra NSW 2794 Australia
ISBN 0 958 660034), Dryborough Private Cemetery.
8 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Family Search, M112375.
9 NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages (http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/), 5894/1880.
Brian Yap (葉文意)
This data in a Gencircles Page. See connections to other people's data. This database on the roots web server.
I do not update this one as oftem ,but it is good for producting reports of ancestors and descendents.
I am now working on a new project at wikicities. Please come and vist and add your info. There are other people in this site, for various reasons, some not related at all. Some are married into my family, some I once thought were related and, turns out, they are not.
www.flickr.com yewenyi's Family History Photos photoset
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids