[OF GOSHEN TOWNSHIP]
Sheridan Jones, born in Scotland, is a son of Jacob Jones, a native of Scotland, who settled first in Muskingum Co., O., where the family lived seven years; moved to Indiana and in 1839 located at Lafayette, and in the following year located on land now owned by Samuel Jones. They purchased 160 acres of land owned by Sheridan at Congress prices. On this land Jacob Jones lived and died. He was a Methodist in religious belief, he was aged when he came and lived only two years after settling here. Sheridan Jones was married to Ann Meek in Ohio. They came overland with team and wagon with their family. On the land he settled he lived during his life-time and prospered. Both he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church and exemplary Christian people. To them were born six children, namely: S. M. and F. A., living in this county(1887); John Z., deceased; Moses S., deceased; Rufus S., Atkinson, Neb.; Margaret J., wife of Thomas Jones, Indianola, Iowa. Moses was a member of Company B, Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer infantry; enlisted in 1861; served his time of three years; was veteranized and served till close of war as corporal; died at home, as stated. John L. was a member of the Eighteenth Missouri Regiment and served through the war as private; died from being struck by lightning. Mr. Jones died in 1861. His wife is also numbered with the dead. Mr. J. was an uncompromising Republican and a staunch supporter of its doctrines. S. M. Jones was born in Clermont county, Ohio, in 1829; was ten years old when his parents settled in Stark county, where he received a limited education in the common schools. He was arried to Martha H. Redfield, who was born in West Jersey. He has resided in the township continuousluy since 1839, and carries on a farm of 355 acres of well-improved land. To them have been born a family of four children, namely: Della A., wife of John A. White; Frank S., Emma A., wife of B. F. Jackson, in Iowa, and Ida May. Mr. Jones votes the Republican ticket. Frank S. married Miss Emma Manley.
Capt. F. A. Jones, second son of Sheridan Jones (deceased), was born in Clermont county, Ohio, August 13, 1831. He was in his ninth year when the family settled in the wilds of Stark county. Here he obtained the education which the district schools offered, and the more practical one which labor on the farm gave. About 1852 he entered life for himself and was engaged in agriculture until the breaking out of the war of the rebellion when he enlisted in Company B, Thirty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was elected Second-Lieutenant on the organization of the company. He was ordered to Camp Webb, Chicago, and thence to Missouri, where for two years his command was engaged in active service at Pea Ridge and other places. In 1863 the regiment was ordered to take part in the Vicksburg campaign, and later dispatched to New Orleans; thence to Brownsville, Texas, where it veteranized. Prior to this he was promoted First-Lieutenant; returned home on furlough; again at the front served in Florida and Alabama; was commissioned Captain of Company B, but was never mustered in under that rank; returned on sick-leave, and while here the war between the North and South was closed, let us hope forever. Capt. Jones received his honorable discharge through the war department. On returning to civil life he resumed farming in which he is still engaged, owning 120 acres of fine land. On February 26, 1857, he married Miss Maria Locy, daughter of Aretus Locy of New York, then residing in this county. Their children are Eddie F., of Washington Territory, and Charlie E., deceased. Mrs. Jones died March 20. 1878. His marriage with Miss Martha J., daughter of Thomas W. Ross, took place April 17, 1879. They are the parents of five children, namely: Lena B., Fred R, Wilna M., Ella M. and Hattie E. Mr. Jones is a Republican in politics, and, like other members of that family, a most useful citizen.
Andrew Hamilton served in the Sixty-sixth Regiment through the Civil War and was honorably discharged.
William J. Hamilton was a member of Company F, One-hundred and Twelfth Regiment; discharged at the close of the Civil War.
Asahel N. Harris and family settled in Fulton county in February 1836 and at Wethersfield in Henry county in 1839. In 1841 they moved again settling on Indian Creek of Spoon River and in 1843 located on sections 9 and 10 in Goshen Township, where it is alleged that a division of Blackhawk's indians camped in 1832. This land was purchased from one of the early settlers of Goshen who had joined the Mormons at Nauvoo.
Harry Hayes born in Saratoga county N.Y. in 1806 and there married Harriet Wright, also a native of New York. They, with their daughter, Julia A., came to Goshen Township in 1837. Mr. Hayes entered half on section 4, which he improved and lived on for thirty years and ultimately removed to Know county.During his residence here, he took a very prominent part in public affairs. There were four children born to this union, Margaret, Julia, Mary E. who married A.M. Snyder, and Eugene K. The family claimed membership with the old Baptist Church of LaFayette.
John S. Haxton born near Hudson N.Y. in 1801 moved with his parents to Bradford Pennsylvania in 1807; to Wisconsin in 1855 and he settled in Stark COunty IL in 1856 and made his home at LaFayette in 1857. Mr. Haxton died on September 13, 1881.
Mrs. Martha C.(Currie) Hill born in 1800, died at LaFayette IL march 10, 1882. She married G.F. Hill in 1824; emigrated to Canada in 1831 and came here in 1857. Her husband died in 1872.
Mrs. Sabrina(Chatfield) Hilliard was the first female school-teacher in Stark COunty Illinois. She married here in 1834 and resided near LaFayette. She died at New Virginia Iowa on January 28, 1886 aged sixty-nine years.
Mrs. Jane (Fairchild) Frail born in Luzerne County Pennsylvania in 1815, died in Goshen township, Stark county, February 25, 1882. She married Barney Frail in 1833 and both moved to Stark County Illinois in 1835 making their home near Wyoming, in what was "Moulton City."
[OF OSCEOLA TOWNSHIP]
Wesley T. Foster was born in Maine on March 31, 1844 to Alfred and Fanny (Wiggins) Foster, both natives of that state. In 1853 the family came to Bradford IL. The father engaged in farming, on lands which he purchased, in connection with his trade of shoemaker, and so continued until his death in 1871. The family had five children including Wesley T. Foster. Wesley was raised and educated in Stark County. In 1861 he entered in the Ninth Illinois Cavalry, reenlisted in 1864 and served fifty-one months until mustered out as Sergeant in December 1865. Returning to Bradford he engaged at the carpenter's trade. In 1866 he married Miss Sarah Shaw, daughter of Samuel and Ann E. Shaw. Samuel being a native of England and Ann of Rhode Island who together settled in Illinois in 1840 where their daughter was born. In politics Mr. Foster was a Republican. He held the office of village trustee for many years and was collector as well. In religious affairs he supported the Protestant Episcopal church of which his wife was a member, and in society matters was a member of the Blue Lodge and Grand Army Republic Post.
Dr. Gilman G. Shaw, a graduate of the Eclectic College of Pennsylvania, settled in Lombardville about 1876.
Otis Gardner died February 22, 1880, aged 72 years.
[OF ELMIRA TOWNSHIP]
James Buswell, born at Peacham, Vt., in 1793, came to Illinois in 1833, brought his family in 1834, and in 1835 came to Elmira township, with ten friends, known as the "Peoria Party," where each entered a quarter section. Early in 1837 he came here with his family, bought a second quarter section from Governor Duncan, where he built a house in 1815, drawing the lumber himself from Chicago. He served as Justice of the Peace for many years, as related in other pages, had seen the Prairie turned into cultivated fields, and the untenanted wigwams of the Indians give place to pleasant, well ordered villages. One of his sons, Nicholas C. Buswell, of Princeton, was Lieutenant Colonel of the Ninety-third Illinois Infantry.
James Cinnamon, son of John and Sarah (McGinnis) Cinnamon, was born in Down county, Ireland, in March, 1826. His ancestors are said to have settled there during the invasion of England by "William the Conqueror," and today several representatives of the family may be found there. James left Ireland in 1847, and coming to Canada, settled at Kingston. Eighteen months later we find him at Chicago, and January 1, 1849, at Lacon, Ill., engaged as house carpenter. On May 8, 185l, he married Miss Flora A., daughter of Robert and Phoebe (Newton) Shaver, the father a native of New York and the mother of Luzerne county, Pa. Robert Shaver, son of Samuel and Elizabeth (Taylor) Shaver, was born April 13, 1803. Samuel was a native of Ireland and his wife of England. Of their children, Robert, William and James were born in York state, and Joseph, David, Samuel, Thomas, Elias and Sarah A. after their removal into Luzerne county, Pa. Robert Shaver married Phoebe Newton July 5, 1830, to whom five children were born. He and family moved to Wyoming, this county, in 1835; es
Thomas Nicholas died at the house of James Cinnamon July, 1883, aged seventy-two years. He came from Pennsylvania in 1843, settling at Lacon, Ills.
Harriet J. (Woods) McKenzie was born in Indiana April 24, 1845, and came to her sister's, Mrs. Mauck, in Elmira, about the year 1864. On January 17, 1865, she was united in marriage to John C. McKenzie, died January 6, 1887, in her forty-second year.
Samuel Montooth, born in Tyrone county, Ireland, in 1799, and his wife, born there in 1810, came to the United States in 1830 and to Elmira township in 1858. Lieutenant Hunter, who married their daughter, was killed at Murfreesboro.
Robert Moore, named in the history of Elmira township, who married Margaret Clark, moved from Lancaster county, Pa., to St. Genevieve county, Mo., in the spring of 1822, and operated a mill there until 1835, when, as one of the Peoria colony, he purchased some claims in what is now Elmira township, this county, and took a full share in its first improvement. His family consisted of four sons and six daughters. In 1874 the family moved to Toulon. Samuel, Orlando and Corydon, her sons, are favorably known here. The two first-named are residents of Barton county, Mo., and the last of Toulon township. His second marriage was with Mrs. Lucina Petteys Van Dewater, a native of Oneida county, N.Y. This lady's two daughters were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Moore died January 3, 1887, in her fifty-fourth year.
[OF ESSEX TOWNSHIP]
Mae (Thurston) Hollis was born on November 5, 1908 in Essex township, Stark County, to David and Isabel Stevenson Thurston, she married Dale Hollis on January 28, 1932. He died October 14, 1980. The Hollis family had nine children; six daughters and three sons. Mae Hollis was a longtime member of the First Baptist Church in Wyoming IL where she taught Sunday School and was active in the Ladies Auxillary. Mrs. Hollis passed away on October 29, 1992 and was laid to rest in the Stringtown Cemetery.
Mrs. Eliza Edwards wife of E.J. Edwards, born in Pennsylvania in 1837 died in Essex township on June 18, 1880.
Thomas Essex born in Virginia in 1803 was the son of Thomas and Elizabeth(Bowen) Essex, natives of Maryland, came with the family to Spoon River in 1831 and settled near Wyoming. In 1834 Thomas Essex bought his home in Richwood's township. He served in the Blackhawk War, being the only one of the family named in that connection.
Phillip Fast who died in 1856 had one son, Daniel, who served in Capt. Brown's company K, Forty-Seventh Illinois. The widow of this pioneer and mother of the soldier--Mrs. Mary Fast, was granted a pension of $8 per month, to date from 1862, in February 1885.
James M. Estep was born near Fairchild Iowa February 7, 1842. His father, John Estep, died there two years later, and his mother Sarah Whittington returned with her family to Peoria County IL and resided there several years with her brother. In 1849 or 50' she married Christian Miller and with his mother and stepfather James M. made his home as a boy. At the age of 18 years he became a farm laborer and for nine years gave his attention to this work. When twenty-seven years old he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of George and Christina Springer. This lady was born in Essex Township, in 1849, and resided there until her marriage in 1868. The six succeeding months they resided in Peoria county, and then moved into their small house in Essex township, Stark county. Their original farm of 80 acres was later increased to 160 acres with all improvemnets. Mr. Estep was a democrat in polotics but above party when a man or measure deserved his confidence. Only two children came to their home, Jennie V. and Anna N. He was indeed a self-made man, and of that intelligent class too, whose friend is always a friend.
George Fautz, was born in Germany, March 9, 1812. His parents, Michael and Elizabeth (Stacer) Fautz, came to the United States about 1818, settled in Perry county, Ohio, moved thence to a point near Lancaster Ohio, where the mother died in 1867, and the father died in 1869. George remained with his parents until the age of twenty-one years, when he married Miss Sally Springer a native of Ohio, whose parents came from Virignia some years before. In 1841 Mr. Fautz came to Stark county, while the wild prairie stretched out in every direction. He located 160 acres of prairie, breaking some acres that year and planting his first crop of corn. The tract he increased to 346 acres which he sold in 1883, and moving to Duncan, established his large hardware and grocery store there. There were twelve children born to this family, six of which were known to have gone west to seek their fortunes. A reference to the history of the United Brethren Church here tells that Mr. Fautz was one of its first members and always prominent in every effort to build it up to its present importance.
Julius Barnes, son of Martin and Ruth (Dart) Barnes, was born at Florence, Oneida county, New York, August 27, 1826. His parents were natives of Connecticut, who, with their family, moved into York state. Their children numbered six sons and four daughters, all of whom, with the exception of two sons and one daughter, grew to manhood and womanhood -- one son and one daughter dying in late years. In 1836 the entire family moved to Elmwood coming the whole distance by wagon, and occupying six weeks in making the trip. Julius received his education at Elmwood, and was there engaged in agriculture and stock-raising until 1853, when he settled in Valley township and improved a farm of 160 acres there, since extended to 400 acres. For thirty years he resided on this farm; was school director of his district for fourteen years consecutively, and served in several township offices, always taking a pride in the progress of the community. In 1853 he married Miss Sarah, daughter of Arni and Susan (Bosworth) Kellogg who came from Clinton county, N. Y., to Stark county in 1836. Mrs. Barnes, however, was born in Vermont. Their children are Martin J., a farmer of Davis county, Ia.; Mrs. Mary A. Tilton, of Bement, Neb.; Rufus A., of Davis county, Ia.; Franklin A., farmer on old homestead; Alvin S., of Otoe county, Neb., Edson S., who died in his fifth year; Frederick H. and Emma L. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes, originally Methodists, but of old Presbyterian families, are members of the Congregational church. He was a member of the Stark County Agricultural Society but since the organization of the Central Agricultural Society has given it full support. He devoted much attention to fine stock growing up to 1883, when he moved into Wyoming, where he has a pleasant residence and a farm of 70 acres of well located and fertile land.(1887-MA Leeson)
Thomas A. Beall, Sr., born in Dubois county, Ind., March 11, 1823, is the son of Asa and Mary (Coyle) Beall, natives of Kentucky. The former of Fayette county and the latter of Bullitt county. The father was a millwright and helped build the first grist mill at Cincinnati, O. He died in Peoria county in June, 1873, aged eighty-four years, his wife preceded him in 1872, leaving three sons and two daughters. Asa Beall was a son of Thomas Beall, an old settler of Kentucky. Asa Beall removed with his family to Illinois in 1832 and located where is now Mossville, Peoria county, but removed to Kickapoo, where be resided for many years. His children are: Thomas, Harriet, wife of James Rogers; William, a farmer of Valley township, Francis, a resident of Peoria, and Josephine, wife of William Lawrence, of Peoria county.(1887 - MA Leeson)
William J. Bond, a native of Maine, was born in Lincoln county, township of Jefferson, January 25, 1827. His father was William Fullerton Bond, a farmer, and son of Henry Bond, a farmer originally a brick-mason, a native of Winchester, Mass. William J. was one of three sons and three daughters of William F. and Hannah (Jackson) Bond, the latter daughter of Joseph Jackson, who served in the Revolution. He spent boyhood in his native county. At the age of seventeen years he engaged as clerk in a mercantile house, and after a few years became a partner in a general store at Jefferson. In 1860 he went to Rockland, Me., and was engaged in mercantile work until coming West in 1868. During his stay at Rockland he served in the council of that city six years, was clerk of the city three years, and member of the board of assessors of Rockland for eight years. In 1868, sold out his interest, came west, and after spending four years in Missouri in traveling trade, he was sent here in 1872 to take charge of his coal mining company’s interests. Those interests he subsequently purchased, and was prominently connected with business here until 1881. Upon the organization of the Central Agricultural Society he became a stockholder. He was married in Missouri to Miss Amelia Gregory.(1887 - MA Leeson)
Thomas Beall, was educated in Peoria county and there married Miss Ophelia, daughter of David and Roxanna (Minter) Bush, of Pennsylvania and Kentucky, respectively, and pioneers of Peoria county. At thirty years of age he left there and purchased a property in Valley township, section 2, known since as the Beall farm. Of his five sons and six daughters, Marion is a farmer in Harlan county, Neb.; Fred’k, an attorney-at-law, of Alma, Harlan county, Neb.; Asa, a minister of the Methodist church (Peoria conference); Hattie, the wife of David McLeish, a minister of the Methodist church, at Roseville, Ill.; Thomas Allen, at Hedding College, pursuing a literary and classical course; Mary, at Squire Rogers; John is a clever musical genius; Susie, Effie, Minnie and Ada residing here. He is a supporter of the Methodist church, while Mrs. Beall and many of the children are members of that church.(1887 - MA Leeson)
John Berfield, son of Benjamin and Martha (Sloan) Berfield, was born in Summer Hill township, Crawford county, Pa., April 24, 1814. His father was born in Clearfield county, Pa., and his grandfather at London, Eng., who came to our shores as a British soldier during the Franco-Indian War, settled in Mahoning county, and afterwards embraced the cause of the Revolution; lived to see the country rid of tyranny, and a family of five sons and two daughters growing up in a free state. His wife was a Miss Hall, who, like the old soldier, ended her days on the old farm beside the Susquehanna. Mr. John Berfield’s father served in the War of 1812; settled in Crawford county, Pa., where he raised a family of four sons and five daughters. In 1834 he moved to Peoria county, Ill., and in 1836 took up land in West Jersey township, where he and his wife died in 1840, and were buried in the McClenaghan cemetery. His wife was a daughter of John Sloan, of Crawford county. Of his family, Elizabeth, wife of Nathan Stockton, of Peoria county, is dead; Maria, wife of Jacob Kightlinger, of Yates city is dead. The former was the mother of two sons and three daughters, and the latter of eleven children, seven of whom are living. Sarah, wife of Mr. Ball, of Dakota, is dead; Carson and John, of Stark county; George, who died in 1845; Martha, wife of Joseph N. Benedict, of Moline, deceased, leaving three children--Wheatley B., a farmer, near Hokah, Minn., and Mary Anne, wife of Miner Hedges of Denver, Col., deceased. John Berfield received a fair education in his native county, learned the carpenter’s trade there, and on coming to Knox county, now a part of Stark, purchased and improved a farm in what is now West Jersey township, and ever since has been identified with the county’s progress. He married here Emily, daughter of Squire Thomas Colwell and a native of Ross county, Ohio. They are the parents of two sons and two daughters, who are also the heads of families. Mr. Berfield has served as justice of the peace for West Jersey, supervisor of Toulon, whither he moved in 1852; has been township treasurer of schools and member of school board, as related in the histories of these townships. Mr. and Mrs. Berfield at one time were members of the Baptist church, and are numbered among the most useful citizens and honored pioneers of the county.(1887 - MA Leeson)
Thomas W. Bloomer, born in Fayette county, Ohio, January 15, 1833, is the son of Jesse and Matilda (MacDonald) Bloomer, the former a native of Ohio and son of Wm. Bloomer, a farmer who settled in Fayette county on moving from Alabama. Jesse Bloomer was a farmer in Fayette county Ohio when he died. Thomas W. received a fair education there, and there learned the blacksmith’s trade at Washington, Ohio. In 1855 he came to Stark county with his uncle Squire MacMillen. Here he established business for himself and has since been identified with Wyoming. He was married in Fayette county Ohio to Miss Mary J. Kimble, daughter of Nathan Kimble, a merchant of Washington. They have one son and one daughter, Jesse C., a real estate dealer, and Ida A., the wife of George H. Lyons of Wyoming, a traveling salesman. A reference to the history of Wyoming will point out Mr. Bloomer’s connection with the city council, school board, masonic circles, while in the general history many references are made to him. He is one of the original members of the Central Agricultural Society.(1887 - MA Leeson)
Patrick M. Blair, son of William Preston and Hannah (Craig) Blair, was born at Frankfort, Ky., April 10, 1829. His father was also born at Frankfort, son of James Blair, a native of Richmond, Va., --attorney general of Kentucky, and grandson of John Blair, also a native of Virginia--a name known in the judicial history of Virginia. James Blair served with distinction in the Revolution, and William P. Blair in the War of 1812 as captain in the U. S. army. After the war he was in command of the first regular garrison at Ft. Clark (now Peoria); subsequently in command at Rock Island, Council Bluffs and Ft. Smith. Ark., where he married Miss Craig, daughter of one of the first settlers of Arkansas. Patrick M. Blair was educated at St. Louis University, studied law in the office of his cousin, Montgomery Blair, and was admitted to the Illinois Bar at Ottawa in 1850. In 1846 he visited Toulon; returned to St. Louis in 1848, and took up his residence at Toulon in 1854. He was married November 5, 1851, to Miss Harriet M. daughter of Dr. Hall, born in Derbyshire, Eng., July 26, 1832. In 1854 he and John Berfield established the first lumber yard at Toulon, where his present residence now stands. In 1858 he and G. A. Clifford opened a law office. Before the war this partnership was dissolved, and one with Judge James Hewitt formed. In 1860 he was elected circuit clerk, which position he held eight years, the vote being in 1868 for Mr. Blair 1128, a majority of 570, the largest majority given at this election. In 1867 he assisted in organizing the R. I. & P. R. R. Co.; was one of the incorporators, and in 1869 was elected first vice president, serving until succeeded by Captain S. F. Otman. In 1886 he was appointed master in chancery, as successor to Allen P. Miller. Of the four children born to Mr. and Mrs. Blair none are living. William P., born December 19, 1854, died December 25, that year; Frances L., born January 20, 1856, died April 23, 1873; Thomas H., one of the founders of the Sentinel, born July 30, 1858, died August 28, 1881, and Walter H., born in 1862, died December 26, 1884.
John Drinnin born in Ireland in 1812 came to Canada in 1832 and to the United States in 1834. He was a contractor on the Erie Railroad. Mr. Drinnin married Miss Acker at Buffalo, N.Y. in 1840 and moved to Toulon township in Stark county in 1844, where he died September 16, 1881. Father Moynihan conducted the service of the dead. Joseph Drinnin, a Stark County man was elected sheriff of Platte County Nebraska in 1885.
Luther Driscoll whose name is identified with the early history of Stark, was born in Connecticut on May 14, 1791 and died April 5,1858. His wife was Mary Neal, born in Pennsylvania, Dec. 28, 1809, died July 30, 1876. Their son G.C. Driscoll resided in LaFayette.
Mrs. Mary Etta Dugan one of the very old settlers died on May 10, 1881, aged sixty-five years.
William Dunn a soldier of the War of 1812, died January 23, 1863, aged eighty-seven years, at the house of his son-in-law, Seth Johnson, at Toulon. He was a native of York state.
C.C. Campbell born in Connecticut in 1817; moved to Stark County in 1865 and resided at Wyoming in Toulon Township a number of years. He died at Chicago on May 1, 1880.
Rev. R. C. Dunn, born in Georgia, like his brother Augustus, was in his youth a school teacher in Georgia. On moving to Ohio with the family in 1831, he studied at Cincinnati, and on coming to this county in 1836, left nothing undone to acquire practical knowledge. In 1840 he attended the Galesburg Academy, working for his board and tuition; in 1843 he entered college there, and in 1847 was one of three who graduated with the second class graduated from Knox College. In 1850 he received the diploma of Master of Arts, having meantime traveled and taught school in several places. On October 31, 1850, he married Miss Sarah A. Marvin, then cast aside his law studies, and in November, 1850, entered the Union Theological Seminary, of New York studied there for three years, preached for one year in Western New York, then came to Peoria, where he filled the pulpit of the Congregational church for three months, and in January, 1855, succeeded Rev. S. G. Wright, as minister at Toulon, as related in the history of the Congregational church there. In 1867 he was called to Oneida, Knox county, and there died May, 24, 1868, and in 1869 his remains were moved to Toulon.
Otis T. Dyer and family left Wyoming for San Francisco in July, 1880.
William M. Eagelston, born at Albany, N. Y., April 15, 1819, was the son of John T. and Mary (Charles) Eagelston. His father was a native of Philadelphia. and son of James Eagelston, a seafaring man and captain in the United States Mercantile Marine, who served with distinction in the war of 1812, and died of his wounds in Bellevue Hospital, New York. He was one of seven brothers, who came to America from Yorkshire, England, but little of whom is known. John T. was a rope and sail maker by trade, and the only child of Captain James Eagleston. He married at Albany, N. Y., Miss Mary Charles, a native of Oxfordshire, England, by whom he had three sons and three daughters. The family came to Illinois in 1833, and settled at what is now Kickapoo town, Peoria county, Il and upon coming to this county in 1852, Mr. Eagelston took up land in Penn township, purchased 160 acres which he improved and meantime added property aggregating 640 acres of choice land, improving during his time the making of four large and well improved farms. In 1873 he removed to Wyoming. Has served on the school board of the township, and has taken a full part in all matters relating to public well-being. He has given considerable attention to stock-growing and horse-breeding as well as agriculture. Mr. Eagelston was a member of the Masonic order with three of his sons. He was a member of the Royal Arch, while Mrs Eagelston was a member of Eastern Star Lodge, with two of her daughters, Jennie and Abbie.
Emory J. Edwards, born in Essex county, New Jersey, April 7, 1839, was the son of William H. and Deborah (Aldrich) Edwards. William was son of Rev. John Edwards, a native of Connecticut, and a methodist minister. William H. and wife moved to Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, where Emory J. Edwards was reared and educated. In 1865 he moved to Illinois, located in Osceola township, and carried on farming there for several years. In 1873 he left the farm, and settling at Wyoming, engaged in the hotel business, but a few years after resumed farming in Essex township. In 1883 he returned to Wyoming, and engaged in the hardware business, which he conducted until 1884, after which time he devoted his attention to his two farms. His daughter, Mary, was the wife of Marion Beall, of Nebraska. She was the daughter of Mrs. Lizzie S. Brace, niece of Myrtle Brace, and wife of Mr. Edwards, who died in 1880, and is buried at Wyoming. She had been a worthy member for eighteen years of the M. E. church. Mr. Edwards married Mrs. Mandana Harwood, nee Merrill. They had one daughter, Alizina Harwood, and one son and daughter married—Nelson, a merchant of Bradford, and Ruhama, the wife of William Phoenix. He had been a consistent member of the M. E. Church since boyhood. As stated in the history of the Central Agricultural Society, in the histories of the townships and in that of Wyoming, he had been identified with the social, agricultural and commercial progress of the county for over twenty years.
B. F. Edwards, who died in January, 1881, at Peoria, came from Virginia to Toulon about 1840, and for many years was a resident of this county. His son, I. C. Edwards, was a Peoria lawyer.
John G. Emery, born September 24, 1839, in West Jersey township, where his parents, Frederick and Hannah (Gaffney) Emery settled, removed to Henry county in 1860, and to Knox county in 1866. He married Miss Ruth A. Friend in 1872.
Joseph Essex, who came in 1831 (a brother of Isaac B. Essex), and in 1841 established the first blacksmith shop at Toulon, was stricken with paralysis in 1876, and died that year.
Capt. Artemus Ewers, who served in the war and was wounded, died from the result of bullet wounds inflicted by himself, October 4, 1879. He wrote a letter to William Holgate on September 25, and also left some instructions with his wife, but the coroner's jury returned a verdict of accidental shooting.
Spencer Falconer, born at Culpepper, Va., aged seventy-seven years, died at Thomas Falconer's house, north of Wyoming, May 22, 1886.
Davis Fast died in Barton county, Mo., January 25. 1882, at the age of ninety years. For fifty years he was a member of the Masonic society. Mrs. Elizabeth Fast, Sr., died in July, 1881, in her 92nd year.
John Finley died February 28, 1883, aged eighty-one years. He was born in Fayette county, Pa., in 1802; removed to Richland, O., in 1811; married Rebecca Gaffney in 1828; settled in Illinois in 1834, and in Stark county in 1838. In 1856 his first wife died. In 1861 he married Mrs. Sarah Adams.
Rev. J. J. Fleharty, born at Jacksonville, Ill., February 5, 1835, died at Tampa, Fla., May 2, 1884. From 1858 to the time of his death he was a minister of the Methodist Episcopal church, serving in this county a portion of the time.
Sarah E. (Moler) Foglesong, born in Maryland in 1834, married Henry Foglesong in 1851, came to Stark county two years before her death.
William Fuller, born in Luzerne county, Pa., in 1819, settled where Modena now is in 1836, was married first in 1849, secondly in 1858, died in September, 1879.
Alfred Castle M.D. son of Samuel and Phoebe(Parmalee) Castle, was born at Sullivan, Madison county, N.Y. on September 22, 1806. His father was a native of Berkshire county and the cousin of Ethan Allen and a descendant of the Irish family of Castles who settled in Connecticut among its pioneers. His mother was of Belgian lineage. Dr. Castle was a resident graduate of Harvard college and also at Massachusetts hospital Boston. He practiced two years at Brockport before obtaining his degree of M.D. in 1834 at the Berkshire school. During the two suceeding years he practiced in Monroe county. On May 19, 1835 he married Miss Maria P. Dana, the daughter of Col. Daniel Dana of the U.S. Army, who commanded the Vermont volunteers during the war of 1812. In 1836 he set out for Peoria IL on a one-horse buggy, leaving his wife to follow. He resided there five or six years before returning to Vermont only to again move in 1843 to Wyoming IL in Stark County. Dr. and Mrs. Castle were the parents of five children, two of whom died in infancy. He was the active agent in building the B. & R. Railroad of which his son Alfred was President. During his forty years of duty in this country he merited and obtained many tokens of popular esteem.
J.C. Starr an employee of the Bethuel Parish for many years and later in the employ of Marsh Mahany, was kicked to death by a span of mules in March 1885.
Daniel D. Stone born in Litchfield county Connecticut in 1813 came to Stark county with his family in 1856 and resided here until his death on February 7, 1883.
William F. Thomas came from Wyoming Valley Pennsylvania with his father, General Samuel Thomas, in 1834. In 1850 he was sheriff and as ex officio collector, was one of the aiders of the American Central Railroad, and in every sense one of the most useful citizens of the county. He died in May, 1875.
Mrs. Harriet Taylor sister of H. Shivvers and mother of Mr. Henry Harrington, died in Hooper county, Kansas on July 13, 1886, aged about sixty years.
Owen Thomas was born at Norristown Pennsylvania on December 12, 1818 and on arriving at manhood married Miss Sarah Pierce in the year 1844 and for nine years longer lived there, following his trade, that of a nail-cutter. In the year of 1853, he with his family came to Stark County and with the exception of a very short time lived on the same place where his last moments were passed ever since. To this family were born ten children. In 1882 his companion was taken from him. On Saturday November 6, 1886, he married Mrs. Sarah Lake, and bid her the last farewell November 20, 1886.
Captain Bradford F. Thompson son of Benjamin M. and Anna B. (McLaughlin) Thompson, was born at Montville, Waldo county ME November 6, 1837. His parents were Scotch and Irish respectively, early settlers of Maine and amongst that states most industrious citizens. In 1856 the famil, consisting of parents and four sons, moved to this county. Here the captain engaged as clerk in a store, but after the lapse of a few years, entered Martin Shallenberger's office at Toulon as a law student. The rebellion broke over the land soon after and in August 1862, he enlisted in Company B, One-hundred and Twelfth Illinois infantry, was promoted first Sergeant on organization of comapny; second lieutenant April 10, 1863; first lieutenant in December, 1863; Adjutant of the regiment March 7, 1864; and Captain of Company B, May 9, 1865. On his return, he engaged in merchandising at Bradford IL and continued in trade until 1874, when he resumed law studies and was admitted to the bar, entering the prctice of law. In 1859 he was elected town collector of Osceola IL, served one term as supervisor, was town clerk, justice of the peace and assessor. In 1868, he was elected representative in state legislature, and in 1876 state's attorney. In 1876 he removed to Toulon and in 1880 was re-elected state's attorney and served until 1884. Captain Thompson was married in 1860 to Miss Elizabeth A. Bevier, the daughter of Zachariah and Lydia Bevier, who settled here in 1851, coming from New York.
William H. Johnson, son of Andrew J. and Margaret J. (Campbell) Johnson was born in Marshall county, Ill., August 6, 1859. In 1865 he with his parents settled in West Jersey township. In 1876 he entered Hedding College, Abingdon, Ill., and after a study there of four years he returned to his home on account of ill health, and at various times was engaged in teaching school. On December 5, 1883, he married Miss Flora, a daughter of Reuben and Martha (Heaton) Swank, born in Stark county, September 22, 1860. Previous to his marriage Mr. Johnson had purchased a store at West Jersey village, which he now owns. Mr. Swank was a native of Pennsylvania, born November 14, 1830, and died April 14, 1872. Mrs. Swank was born in New Jersey. November 23, 1833. They came to Illinois at an early day, and after their marriage settled near West Jersey. where Mr. Swank died. At the age of fourteen Miss Flora entered Hedding College, where she studied for about three years, when she entered the Wesleyan University at Bloomington, Ill. Subsequently she spent some time at Chicago in the study of the fine arts, and in '83 she married Mr. Johnson, as before stated. Since their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Johnson have resided at West Jersey. They are both respected members of the Methodist Episcopal church, interested in all works of a progressive nature, and are held in high esteem. In politics Mr. Johnson. like his father, is a Republican, and has honorably filled the office of town clerk.(1887)
R. W. King, M. D., one of the old physicians of the county, was born in Columbiana county, O., in 1819. His parents, William and Elizabeth (Ware) King, were Virginians. who settled in Ohio about 1810, where both died. The father served in the War of 1812, which resulted in the total banishment of the British from our coasts. Dr. King was educated in the early subscription schools of his district. In 1845 he entered the study of medicine at Akron, O. under Dr. Bartges. He practiced in that city for eleven years. until coming to Peoria county in 1856, where he practiced two years; resided at Brimfield two years,and in 1860 established an office at West Jersey. In addition to his professional duties he served as school director for sixteen years, collector one year, and in 1885 was appointed postmaster. He is also engaged in the drug trade there, his son, now of Toulon, assisting in the store. Dr. King was married in 1839 to Miss Sarah Bartges, to whom six children were born, of whom two are living(1887) -- Catherine E., now Mrs. James Jones, of Omaha, Neb., and Elizabeth, Mrs. George Slocum, of Ford county, Kan. A son, John W., enlisted in 1862, but died at Port Hudson before muster-in. The mother of this family died in May, 1856, and three years later the doctor married Miss Fannie E. Hunt. They are the parents of five children: Fannie R., deceased, Frank, Allen, Bert and Azora M. In political life Dr. King was decidedly Democratic up to a few years ago, when the fascinating goddess of Greenbackism won his allegiance.(1887)
Jacob Kissel, who settled in West Jersey about 1862. removed to Nebraska, and after a residence of nine years there returned to this county. Mr. Kissel was born in Lancaster county, Pa., in 1808, moved to Ohio, and subsequently resided in Indiana, Wisconsin and Nebraska, settling down here. In 1833 he married Miss Hester Clouser in Pennsylvania. Of their children, Reuben, Nathaniel, Mary, Emanuel, Sarah, Arabella, Henrietta, James (deceased), George and Jehial Kissel, are names well known. Emanuel served three years with a Peoria battery, escaped wounds, and is now a useful citizen of Dodge City, Kan.(1887)
Philip Knoff, was born in New Jersey, February 7, 1805, where his parents, Peter and Susan (Simmons) Knoff, then resided. In 1832 he married Miss Sarah Young, in 1845 moved to Ohio, and the following year set out for this county by wagon. On the journey hither, and after traveling forty miles, one of his horses died, when he returned to Ohio; but in the next spring made the journey and here purchased eighty acres of congressional land, built a log cabin, and entered on pioneer life. Here he resided until his death, October 11, 1876. He saw his original farm increased to 160 acres, and two survivors, of his five children, settled in life—Mrs. Kate Cross, of Toulon, and Mrs. Margaret Show, of West Jersey. In politics he was democratic. Jacob Young, brother of Mrs. Knoff, settled in West Jersey in 1846. For thirty years he was a pioneer here, and then became a pioneer of Iowa, where he now resides. Mrs. Knoff was born in New Jersey in 1809. Her parents, John and Susan (Daly) Young, died in that state about 1824. She has been connected with the Presbyterian Church of West Jersey since her settlement here, and has always been looked upon as a most exemplary member of the community.
William Mahany, settled in Toulon township, on the line of Essex, in 1836-7. He was born in the Shenandoah valley, in 1803; came to Illinois a single man and here married Miss Lydia McMullen. The farm which he purchased on coming here was improved by his own hands, and on it he resided until his death, in 1875. His wife died in 1866, at a time when her husband's success in life was assured and her young family provided for. Their children were: Paulina A. (deceased), James V. B., John W., residents here; Baxter M., died while in the army; Marshall, residing here, and Oliver, deceased. J. V. B. Mahany married Miss Belle C. Cain, of this county. He is the owner of 350 acres of fertile land in West Jersey township, all well improved and thoroughly cultivated. Like his father, he is democratic in political life, but liberal and enterprising as a citizen.(1887)
W. S. McClanahan, physician and surgeon, a native of Monmouth, Ill., is the son of T. S. and Mary J. (Martin) McClanahan, natives of Ohio, but old settlers of Warren county, Ill., of which T. S. McClanahan was surveyor for many years. The doctor completed his literary education during a two years' course at Monmouth College. He taught school, principally at Berwick, for three years; read medicine under his brother. Dr. J. M. McClanahan, of Kirkwood, Ill., in the fall of 1881 matriculated at Rush Medical College, where he took a full course in medicine and surgery, and from which he graduated in 1883. He began practice immediately after in Mercer county, Ill., and six months later settled at West Jersey, where he has confirmed himself in the confidence and esteem of the people. As related in the history of the village, he is a member of the new I. O. O. F. lodge there. His marriage with Miss Mabel S. Matteson, of Berwick, Ill., was celebrated in 1884. They are the parents of one child. Earl M.(1887)
Rev. Allen Cowen Miller, born in Fayette county, Pa., February 12, 1807, was the fourth son of James and Agnes Miller. His father died early in the twenties, for in 1826 his mother resided at Sewickley, Pa., where her son united with the Presbyterian church that year. From this period until 1829 he devoted all his leisure hours to study. In this year he was employed by Dr. Jennings, of the Christian Herald, to canvass for that paper throughout Northern Pennsylvania and Eastern Ohio, and continued in this position until the full of 1831, when he entered the Bassenheim Manual Labor Academy at Zelienople, Pa. In 1832 he entered Jefferson College, and with the exception of the summer of 1835, studied there until 1837, when he graduated and entered the Western Theological Seminary. from which he graduated in 1840. He was licensed by the Ohio Presbytery June 17, 1840, and in June, 1841, was installed pastor of the church at Marseilles, Ohio. He presided over that church for seven years, and while there married Miss Mary Pierson, who died at Toulon, August 22, 1872. From 1848 to 1851 he presided over churches at Edna and Caroline, Ohio. On coming to Illinois in 1851, he preached at Roscoe one year and then became pastor of the church at White Rock, where he remained for nine years. During that time he organized the Presbvterian church at Rochelle and also preached there for two years. In the fall of 1861 he with his family settled at West Jersey, and in the spring of 1863 removed to Toulon and for four years supplied the pulpit at West Jersey. Subsequently he rested from ministerial labor, again preached to several congregations throughout this district, acted as bible agent and colporteur, and in 1873 revisited his old home and friends in Pennsylvania and churches in Ohio. On returning in January, 1874. he received a call from his old society at White Rock, which call he accepted. There he died May 12, 1874, and his remains were taken to Toulon to rest. Of his three sons, two are leading lawyers of Stark county, and the youngest lies buried beside his parents in the cemetery at Toulon.(1887)
I. L. Newman, born in Warren county, N. J., July 7, 1827, is a son of Abraham and Eleanor (Lanning) Newman, natives of that state, and still residents there. His grandparents were Abraham and Mary (Hankinson) Newman, whose ancestors were British. Grandfather Abraham entered the service of the Continental Congress when fourteen years old and served throughout the grand struggle for freedom. At one time his brother and a man named Wykoff were captured by Indians who tomahawked one, while Wykoff escaped. This murder Abraham well avenged, both on the Indians and their teachers of England. After the war he settled in New Jersey, became a preacher of the M. E. church, and died there in his seventieth year. Isaac L. Newman was educated in the schools of Warren county. In 1851 he left his home in a one-horse buggy, and in forty-two days arrived at West Jersey Center with a capital of $300, and began life on the prairies. He purchased a tract of forty acres on section 15, at $3 per acre, and this small tract has grown, so to speak, into a magnificent farm of 600 acres. On September 12, 1857, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of James R. and Anna (Tuttle) Waibasse, whose brother Joseph came from Germany, and in 1858 settled here. Her father was the first to break sod in Sussex county, N. J. To this marriage there were born: Jerome, September 22, 1859; Anna, February 14, 1862; Melden A. and Selden A. (twins), March 24, 1866, all of whom are living. As related in the township history, he has been supervisor of West Jersey for five years; is a member of the Blue Lodge at Toulon, and politically a member of the Republican party. In 1881 Mr. Newman married Miss Permelia, daughter of John and Lydia (Maines) Pevey, who came from New Jersey to the township about 1850. Here her father died in 1863. aged about fifty-six years, and here her mother still resides in her seventy-sixth year. They were the parents of ten children, namely: Rachel, Joseph, Henry, John, Catherine, Permelia, William, Arthur, Jane, Aaron, Elizabeth and Clarrissa. Arthur resides in Peoria county, Aaron in Fulton county, Ill., and Elizabeth in Kansas. The other children are residents of Stark county.
Darius Sanders, born in Morris county, N. J., in 1816, died March 27, 1884. In 1868 he settled in West Jersey township.
Elder John Sargent, born in Maryland, October, 1793, served two campaigns in the War of 1812, after moving to Ohio with his parents; came to Henry county in 1850, to Stark county in 1853, later to Missouri, from which he was driven by the Jay-hawkers in 1861. He returned and settling at Millbrook, Peoria county, died there July 14, 1882.
Belle (Trimmer) Shafer, born in West Jersey township in 1863; married Peter Shafer in 1884; died March 15, 1885.
Mary L. Swank (Shannon), died at Grimes, Iowa, February 1, 1863; aged twenty-eight years.
Bishop Philander Chase, born December 14, 1775, in New Hampshire, graduated from Dartmouth College in 1795. He was brought up in the Congregational faith, but after leaving college became a member of the Protestant Episcopal body, studied for its ministry; was ordained in New York in May, 1798, and was missionary in that state for several years. From 1805 to 1811 he was pastor of the Protestant Episcopal church at New Orleans; next rector of the church at Hartford, Conn., and in 1817 we find him on the Ohio mission, of which state he was elected bishop in 1819. In 1823 he visited England and secured $30,000 aid for his church, then purchased 8,000 acres in central Ohio, and laid the foundation of Kenyon College. A dispute with the trustees of the college about funds led to his resignation as president of the college and also of his position as bishop, in 1831. Some time after he purchased land near Gilend, Mich., and resided thereon until 1835, when he was elected Bishop of Illinois, and settled in Peoria county. Revisiting England he secured $10,000, with which he founded Jubilee College, Peoria county, and there he resided until his death, September 20, 1852. It is said of him that he was the most useful, indomitable, earnest pioneer of Protestant Episcopalianism in the west, and indeed the history of that church does not point out a more distinguished worker on this continent. Bishop Chase married Miss Mary Fay. of Vermont, in 1795. She died, leaving three children: Philander, George and Dudley. The first named was a clergyman until his death in 1823; George became a lawyer, but died in early manhood; and Dudley, a clergyman, resides at Philadelphia. To his second wife, Miss Sophia M. Ingraham, three children were born: Henry, manager of the Chase Elevator Company, Chicago; Mary, wife of Rev. Jacob S. Chamberlain, of Topeka, Kan.; and Philander, who resided in Stark county until his death in 1872.
Philander Chase, youngest son of Bishop Chase, was born at Worthington, Ohio, June 8, 1824; educated at Jubilee College, and ordained in 1846. For many years he was missionary preacher in Peoria and Stark counties. In November, 1852, he, with his family, settled in Valley township. In 1856 he removed to Wyoming, as pastor of St. Luke's church; but early in 1860 returned to his farm, still conducting services at Wyoming. In February, 1864, he moved to Jubilee, preached in Fulton and Iroquois counties until 1868. Early in 1869 he returned to Valley township, and resided on his farm until his death, April 23, 1872. He was married to Miss Anna K. Ingraham, May 14, 1842. Of their children, Heber is a merchant at Wady Petra; Philander, a farmer of Wymore, Neb.; William I., publisher of the School Herald, Chicago; Elliott, a merchant of Wichita, Kan.; Henry E., a teacher, of Clarksburg, W. Va.; Alice C., on the editorial staff of the Inter Ocean, Chicago; Laura, now Mrs. B. H. Freeman, of Freeport, Kan.; L. Sophia M., teacher at Riverside, Ill., and Anna Content, a teacher of this county.
Mrs. Mary A. Dewhurst born near Heywood England, died near Stark Village April 2, 1880, aged fifty-eight years. She came to Peoria county in 1850 and for years resided in or near Wyoming IL
Lawrence Duckworth Sr. born in 1800, came to the United States in 1849 and resided in Peoria county for thirteen years, when he moved to Valley township, thence to his son's home at SHenandoah, Page county, Iowa, died near Yates city IL April 6, 1880.
Joseph Eby who resided in Valley township for over thirty years, died at Stark in February, 1882 in his eighty-fourth year.
Bernard Colgan, one of the most prominent farmers of Valley township, was born in Down county, Ireland, in 1836. He remained in his native land until twenty years of age , and then started to make a home in the new world, landing in New York. He came at once to Stark county, Ill., and began working as low as twelve dollars per month. After several years he rented land which he worked until 1865 when he purchased an eighty tract on section 16. In Jan., 1867, he married Miss Ann Slogan, who is also a native of Ireland. After their marriage they remained some seven years upon this place and then removed to a farm on section 2, which he had purchased. Here they have since resided, and built up their present beautiful home. Eight children have blessed their marriage, all of whom make their home with their parents. Mary, Francis, Edward, James, John, Bernard, Margaret, Rose. Thomas is numbered among the dead. Mr. Colgan is a member of the Catholic church, of which his family are all members. In politics he is decidedly Democratic. He has now 240 acres of choice farming land, and is well known as one of our best farmers.
John A. Colgan, born at Greencastle, Down county, Ireland, February 14, 1836, is the son of Edward and Sarah (Brennan) Colgan, and grandson of Patrick and Catherine (Fitzpatrick) Colgan, of Lisnacree, in that county, who were the children of Edward Colgan, of Aughioguhill, and Denis Fitzpatrick, of Ballymacdurphy, of Down county, the former a weaver, and the latter a farmer and blacksmith. The maternal grandparents of John A. were James and Rose (Lands) Brennan, of Ballamena, and on both sides the family history can be traced back to the Irish Brians and to the illustrious Colgan family, one of whom was the celebrated historian. To Patrick and his wife Catherine nine children were born, one of whom came to the United States. Edward Colgan was married in 1834; moved to Greencastle, where he died in 1848. His widow came to America in 1865, and now resides with her son John A. Her children are John A. Colgan, James, who was drowned at St. John's, Patrick, Mary, Kate, now Mrs. Wm. Gill, Peter, drowned near Liverpool, and Thomas, all survivors of the family residing in this township. John A. Colgan was taken by his paternal grandparents in 1837, and lived with them eighteen years. He then moved to Liverpool to learn the ship-carpenter's trade, but returned in a short time and remained at home until 1856, when he came to Illinois, residing near Brimfield for three years. Subsequently, he freighted between Kansas City and Ft. Leavenworth and Ft. Union, N.M., but after seven months, returned to Peoria county. In the spring of 1863 he purchased eighty acres in Valley. In February, 1867, he married Miss Sarah Colgan, a very distant relative, who shared his fortunes until death took her away in June 1882. On August, 16, 1886, he married Miss Emma Williams, of Valley. Of seven children born to the first marriage, Mary M., Sarah A., Patrick E., John, Rosa and Peter V. reside here; Katie died. Mr. Colgan has increased his acreage to 400, all excellent land, and well improved. Politically, he is independent, and as a citizen, ranks with the best in Stark county.
Thomas Henry Crone, son of Benjamin and Mary (McDonald) Crone, was born in Fayette county, Ohio, January 20, 1829. His grandfather, Henry Crone, went to Canada to learn the carpenter trade, from Pennsylvania, of which state he was a native like his wife, and during the year the family spent there, Benjamin was born. In 1812 Henry returned to the United States and was a solider in the Union service, even as his father was a soldier of the Revolution. Benjamin Crone married Nancy McDonald in 1828. Her parents were natives of New Jersey. They were the parents of seven children: Thomas H., Albert W., John, Henrietta, James F. (deceased), Wm. A. and Douglas W. Thomas H. learned the carpenter's trade at an early day, and at the age of twenty years married Miss Eliza J., daughter of Ananias and Elizabeth Allen, a native of Madison county, Ohio. Six years later this lady died, leaving two children: William, now of Nodaway county, Mo., and Ammia E., now of Crawford county, Iowa. After the death of his wife he came to Stark county, Ill., worked at his trade until 1854, when he settled on his present farm, and in 1856 revisited Ohio, where he married Miss Catherine, daughter of Dr. And Ann (McClean) Robinson. They are the parents of seven children: John B., married, May, married, both of Crawford county, Iowa; James F., of Valley township, married Henry L., of Essex township, married; Rosella, married, residing here; Thomas S. and Nancy A. with parents. Like both his grandfathers, Thomas H. also was in the Union service, having enlisted in the Seventh Illinois Volunteer M. Infantry in February, 1865, and served until the close of the war. For thirty years he has filled the office of school director, is a member of the Central Agricultural Society, a supporter of the Methodist church, and in political life, a Republican.
GEORGE NICHOLAS was born on March 18, 1806 in Greenbrier County West Virginia and died May 16, 1862 in Stark County Illinois. He married HANNAH. She was born 26 Dec 1807, and died 10 Jun 1895 in Stark County Illinois. The following is an excerpt on the untimely death of George Nicholas and his son.....
George Nicholas' Death - On Friday afternoon, the 16th instant, this section of country was visited by a severe thunder storm, with copious showers of rain, and during its continuance Mr. George Nicholas, and his youngest son, living two or three miles northeast of Wyoming, were struck by lightning and instantly killed. They were out in the field, we understand, near the dwelling, engaged in planting the seed of sugar cane, and when found were very near each other, and it is supposed that both were killed by the same shock. It is said they were seen to fall by some one near, who repaired to the spot, and the clothes of both father and son were burning. Mr. Nicholas was a farmer, and one of our most respected citizens, was 56 years of age at the time of his death, and the large turn out at the funeral was a testimonial of the respect in which he was held in the community. The funeral services were held at the Methodist Church in Wyoming, on the Sunday following, the Rev. Mr. Matthew's officiating, preaching an appropriate sermon from the text, "Be ye also ready, for thou knowest not the day or the hour when the son of man cometh."
--A picture of George Nicholas' headstone is on the Headstone page of this site.
W. F. Price who was familiarly called Fred by his hosts of friends and was regarded as one of the active and progressive business men of Toulon, was the President and Manager of the Stark County Telephone Company. He is numbered among the old settlers of this part of the state, dating his residence in Illinois from 1856 and in Stark County from 1869. He was born in Newark New Jersey on February 11, 1853 and his father W.H. Price was also a native of that city, born on the 5th of July 1828.
W.H. Price was reared and educated in Newark where he wed Miss Mary Burns who was also born in that city on the 11th of February, 1828. After his marriage Mr. Price engaged in business in Newark for a number of years and three of his children were born there. In 1857 he removed to the West, settling first on a farm near Canton, Illinois, where he remained until 1869, when he came to Stark County and purchased land whereon he continued his agricultural pursuits for a number of years. He was a succesful farmer and well known citizen. In 1905 he purchased a lot in Toulon IL, erected a neat and attractive residence and lived and retired in this city. He and his wife celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary at Toulon in 1916.
Elam Morris Hamilton was born on August 10, 1926 in Limestone County Alabama. He was the son of Thomas Telford Hamilton(b.1895) and Florrie Bell Hudson(b.1901). The Thomas Hamilton family were faithful christians and devout Methodists. Elam Hamilton was raised attending the Crosskey Methodist church in rural Elkmont AL and made a profession of faith in Christ after attending revival services at the Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church in Athens AL one evening. He later became a Baptist Preacher. Rev. Elam Hamilton served in the United States Navy during WWII in the South Pacific theatre of action. He was married on February 15, 1947 to Lura Bell Osborn who was born on September 3, 1928 in Madison County Alabama. Her parents were James David Osborn and Susie Viola Madry. They resided in Alabama and later in Illinois, moving at first to Washington IL and then to Stark County IL after in Oct. of 1964 Rev. Hamilton accepted the pastorate of the First Baptist Church in Wyoming. The Hamilton family resided in the old Dr. Wead home on West Smith street, which home is still in the Hamilton family today(2006). There were born to Elam and Lura sixteen children, eight boys and eight girls. While living out his life in Wyoming Rev. Hamilton served on the city council for a time. Rev. Elam Hamilton had been the pastor of First Baptist Church in Wyoming IL for nearly 32 years when he passed away on 04/21/96. He is buried in the Wyoming IL City Cemetery.
Dr. Robert M. King who was engaged in the practice of medicine at Wyoming for 18 years, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland on April 15, 1864. His father John King, also a native of that country, held the position of pit boss there when in 1864 he resigned to come to the United States. At the time the family sailed for America, Robert was but 6 weeks old. After landing at New York June 14, 1864, the family continued their way west to Sparland, Marshall County, Illinois and subsequently moved to Camp Grove, Saratoga township, where the father purchased 250 acres of excellent land. He passed away in 1911, and his wife in 1878. They had 11 children.
Robert M. King passed his boyhood and youth upon the home farm and assisted his father. His education was not neglected and after attending the district schools, he became a student in the old Northwestern Normal School at Geneseo Illinois and later enetered Highland Park college at Des Moines Iowa.
He did his professional work at the Louisville Medical college, Louisville Kentucky, from which he graduated in 1898 with an M.D. degree. He located for practice in Wyoming and met with such a gratifying measure of success that he remained here. He was careful in making a diagnosis to take into consideration all possible factors and in his method of treatment utilized the latest discoveries of medical science. He not only had the confidence of the people as was evidenced by his large practice, but was held in high esteem by his professional colleagues. He owned land both in Minnesota and 80 acres in Stark County.
Dr. King was married December 6, 1905 to Nellie Wrigley, a daughter of Samuel Wrigley. Dr. and Mrs. King had one daughter, Margaret Joan, who later married Morrow H. Cox. They lived in Wyoming for many years before moving to Dunedin Florida.
Dr. Harold A. Wylyss M.D. practiced medicine for 45 years. His first practice was in Kingston Illinois and from there he came to Wyoming IL in 1901.
There were seven other doctors located in Wyoming at that time. They were J.R. Holgate, N.B. Morse, J.S. Wead, Alma T. Wead, R.M. King, Perkins, and Pierce and all made a good living.
When Dr. Wyllys left Wyoming in 1911, there were still four doctors in town. He sold his practice to Dr. C.C. McMackin and settled in Reno Nevada. He spent but a short time there before moving to Chicago where he practiced for almost five years.
He later spent six years practicing in Rockford and three years in Fairdale, Illinois. He retired in 1925 to Hastings Florida, to a relaxing, restful type life. After three years he returned to Wyoming in October 1928. he opened an office complete with new medical furnishings in the George Swan building on N. 7th street. Later he moved to 127 S. 7th Street where he stayed until his retirement to Florida in November 1944. Dr. and Mrs. Wyllys spent their last few months in Wyoming in the home of Mrs. Wyllys' sister, Mrs. V.L. Brown and husband on N. 6th Street. In all Dr. Wyllys practiced 20 years in Wyoming.
Rev. David G. Stouffer, once pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church Wyoming, was born at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania on April 26, 1841. His parents were John Stouffer, born in Lancaster county, Pa., a pioneer carpenter and builder of Harrisburg, and Elizabeth Markley, of Lancaster county. Rev. Mr. Stouffer obtained a good common school education at Harrisburg. In 1862 he enlisted in Company B., One-hundred and Twenty-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and followed the fortunes of that command for some time. In the spring of 1865 his father died, and the same year Mr. Stouffer came to Peoria ILL., with his mother, who died in February, 1866. He was the first photographic colorist at Peoria. In Harrisburg PA, in September, 1857, he became a member of the Methodist church, and in 1866, in Peoria, ILL was liscenced as local preacher. In 1873 he filled his first charge at Wyoming; in 1874 received the West Jersey appointment, which he held for three years. The subsequent three years he was pastor of the church at Atkinson ILL., and again for three years of the church at Toulon. He then served as supernumerary and evangelist preacher for two years. In the fall of 1885 he was appointed to the Wyoming charge--all his labors being attended with remarkable success. He was married in Peoria ILL., Sept. 26, 1866, to Miss Jennie E., daughter of George C. Babcock Sr., a native of Marietta Ohio. This lady has contributed a number of poems, some of sterling worth, to the press. Mr. Stouffer's talent for painting was manifested in early life. For some years he had charge of decorative paintings in car shops, again colorist at Peoria, and in later days produced some elegant studies in oil and water color work.
Hymen De Wolf retiured to LaFayette but for a long period was actively engaged in general agricultural pursuits in West Jersey township, where even during his retirement he owned a farm of one hundred and forty acres, from which he derived a substantial annual income. He followed the most practical and progressive methods of farming when living upon that place and the result of his labors was seen in the large crops which he annually gathered.
Stark county numbers him among her native sons, his birth having occured in West Jersey township, March 5, 1855. His father Joseph De Wolf, was born in Canada and was there reared to adult age. Making his way to the United States he settled at once in Stark county, Illinois and was here married on the 6th of April, 1841, to Miss Mary Ann Gibbs, a native of New Jersey and a daughter of Joseph Gibbs, who at an early day removed from New Jersey to Illinois and established a home in Stark county. In the early days of his residence here, Joseph De Wolf purchased a small tract of land, split rails and fenced his farm. He also built a good house upon his place and carried on the work of development and improvement. However, he had worked as a farm hand by the month for several years before he was married. He led an active, busy, and useful life, was careful and conservative in the management of his property and was industrious and energetic in carrying on the labors of the fields. Upon his farm he reared his family and spent his remaining days, there passing away at the age of sixty-four years, six months and nineteen days, his death occuring on the 3d of January, 1881. His wife survived him for a brief period, her death occuring January 19, 1884. When she had reached the age of sixty-two years, four months, and fifteen days.
Henry Bradford Dorrance, was the son of Lemuel Smith Dorrance and Mahala (Fuller) Dorrance. He was born in what is now Penn township, August 30, 1836. Lemuel was descended from one of the old Dutch families of Pennsylvania, while his wife, daughter of Orange and Hepsey (Munroe) Fuller, was born in York state, the ancestors of her father being some of the "Mayflower" immigrants, as related in the history of the Fuller family. Henry B. was educated in the schools here and at Galesburg. On August 1, 1858 he married Miss Mary E., daughter of John R., and Lucretia (Hallawbaugh) Powell. Her father was a native of New Jersey, where his Welsh ancestors settled, and her mother of Pennsylvania, where her German ancestors made a home. Mary Powell Dorrance was born July 4, 1842 at Milwaukee Wisconsin but was brought to this county when a child, and here was educated. In 1858, with her husband, she took up her residence on his fifty acre farm in Penn township and moved with him to Toulon township, where he purchased one hundred acres. Their children were Effie L., wife of E.P. Engle, Cowly county Kansas, and Lemuel S. Mr. Dorrance was a farmer during his whole life. In politics he was decidedly republican, in school matters ever interested and in business upright. His death occured in March, 1885.
Dr. Bacmeister, assisted in the laying out of Toulon and contributed in marked measure to the upbuilding of the county. following his marriage Dr. Bacmeister purchased a residence in Toulon, which he rebuilt in 1879, converting it into an attractive home. To him and his wife were born nine children. Their son Theodore became a well-known physician and surgeon in Chicago and son Otto, who after graduating from the high school and Academy of Toulon and also from Williams College of Massachusetts, became post-master of Toulon.
Cr. and Mrs. Bacmeister were members of the Methodist Episcopal church, in which he served on the official board. He took an active part in both church and Sunday school work, acting as Sunday school superintendant for twelve years. In community affairs he was also helpfully interested and was president of the town board and also president of the board of education. In a word, he stood for all that proved of public benefit and his community numbered him among its most valued and worthy citizens. He was a consistent member of the Masonic fraternity and enjoyed the fullest regard of his brethren of the order. Along professional lines he was connected with the local medical society, the Illinois State Homeopathic Medical Society and the american Institute of Homeopathy. He regarded his professional duties seriously, recognizing the great obligation that devolved upon him, and he became the loved family physician in many a household. Wherever known he was held in high esteem and his memory was enshrined in the hearts of all with whom he came in contact.
Dr. Josef Unhold came to Wyoming Illinois in 1958, after leaving his work at Methodist Hospital in Peoria, Illinois. Dr. Unhold was originally from Austria and came to the United States in 1956. He practiced for one year in Minneapolis Minnesota. Dr. Unhold was married to Sunna Schefzik who is now deceased. To this union were born four children. Dr. Unhold and his family became an integral part of the community of Wyoming Illinois. He was a true small-town doctor with a heart for the people whose care was in his charge. Dr. Josef Unhold is still living as of this writing.(2006)
WILLIAM D. WILKINSON was born 1796, and died October 1, 1864. He was married to Elizabeth Nicholas who was born on July 28, 1798 in Pennsylvania. William is buried in the Wyoming Illinois city cemetery.
SOLOMON WILKINSON, was born on January 24, 1824 and died in 1885. He was laid to rest in the Wyoming Cemetery, Stark County Illinois.
LEONARD WILKINSON, was born on August 23, 1833 in Ohio and died on Oct 4, 1895. He was laid to rest in the Pleasant Valley Cemetery, near the village of Castleton in Stark County Illinois.
CLARINDA (MCKINNIS) THURSTON, was born in 1845 in Illinois and died on December 14, 1911. She was laid to rest in the Pleasant Valley Cemetery, near Castleton in Stark County Illinois. Clarinda married DANIEL S. THURSTON; who was born on June 6, 1838 in New York and died on November 15, 1896. He is also buried in the Pleasant Valley Cemetery, Stark County Illinois.
JOHN W. AGARD, was born in Odessa, Schuyler county, New York. He was educated at Cazenovia, New York. March 1, 1834, he and Martha P., a daughter of General Thomas, were married at Kingston, Luzerne county, Pa. In 1836 he resolved to make his home in Illinois. He arrived in Wyoming September 25 of that year, and though he lived in other places since he always looked upon Wyoming as his home. From 1836 until 1845 he followed farming as a business, occasionally working as a carpenter, In 1845 he applied to the M. E. Rock River Conference for a preacher’s license. He took an active part in the work of the conference, and was for several years one of the leading presiding elders. He returned to Wyoming, there to devote himself more fully to the care of his sick wife, completing this duty with her death September 21, 1870. Mr. Agard then considered it his duty to give his-time and attention to the care of his wife’s father, the aged General Thomas. A few months after General Thomas’ death, which occurred July 7, 1879, Mr. Agard removed to Chicago, where he resided until his death, October 11, 1881.
MANY MORE TO BE ADDED HERE !!!