Search billions of records on
Welcome to...
           Casey County
When David and I visited Casey County, KY in Aug. 2000 we went to Liberty first and stayed at the Browns Motel. That day we met Steve Vest and searched out as many cemeteries as we could and took as many pictures as we could. The links are listed below.
There is a link on this page for Liberty, we never had a chance to visit any of the other wonderful places in Casey County.
The following information was originally sent to the Casey County, KY Rootsweb list by Pat Brooks, she kindly agreed to let me post it here :) Thank you Pat!
APRIL 5, 1872


"A difficulty occurred in our usually quiet village last week between Dr. Dan S. Parker and Iron Wilkinson, in which the latter attempted to shoot the Dr., but some one knocked his pistol up and it went off in the air. At the examining trial the Dr. was cleared, and Mr. Wilkinson's trial was put off for a few days on account of witnesses not being present, and he was placed under guard for safe keeping, that night, however, he took "French leave" of his guards and has not been heard from."


"Our County Court, since the burning of the old jail, are making arrangements to build a handsome brick prison, which will be an ornament to the town, besides a terror to the evil-doers of the county. The sheriff reports that all the persons that have been gone from the county for several years, to keep from paying fines and being arrested for misdemeanors have returned, as there is no place to confine them."


"On the 27th day of March, 1872, at his residence in Casey County, James Clarkston in the 67th year of his age." Bud.

FRIDAY MAY 10, 1872

"On our recent trip to Liberty, in there adjoining county of Casey, we discovered evidences of enterprise and improvement. Two lines of excellent turnpike are well advanced, and will prove as excellent desideratum. Liberty has long been supposed to be a flower "born to blush unseen." This mistake will soon be verified. We mingled with many of her people, and are free to accord to her the highest praise. We met them in a commodious church, and found a large and fine-looking congregation, and many city churches might learn from them a lesson of deportment. Would will run for Congress, if he doesn't forget it. Adams is doing the role of Good Templar; McFogle is about retiring upon a competency.The younger portions of the Bar propose a speedy removal to Texas. Last, but by no means, least, W. F. Napier is not married yet, but genial and gentle as ever, and later, Dan Parker is there. In haste, F.

FRIDAY MAY 31, 1872


"On Friday the 24th, by the county judge; P.J. Waymond to Miss Martha Ruker."
"Col. Talbott seems to be making a thorough canvass of our County for Congress if all reports are true. We hear of him all around. He spoke on Casey's Creek the 27th and will speak today, the 28th at Shady Grove."



Fount Young, accused of the murder of Trusty, in Casey County, and who has been lying in our jail wounded, for some months, (Lincoln County) was taken to Liberty last Monday morning to be tried at the present term of the Casey Circuit court.



"The completion of the pike to Liberty, in Casey County, which will soon be done, will place us within twenty-four miles of that town, which would be only four hours, or less, travel by stage. This should be a post road, with post-offices at Turnersille, McKinney's, Middleburg, and further on at some halfway point between the latter place and Liberty. It would be a great blessing to a large, and mainly rich section of country, and be the means of bringing travel from that direction as far down as Jamestown, in Russell County, and all the intervening country on both sides. At first, the travel might be light, but in proportion to the facilities of travel, which the public receives, in that proportion they will make us of them. The amount paid to the stage contractor for carrying the mail, would more than support his enterprise, and the money received for travel, would in our opinion, be clear profit. It might be found more expedient to pass through Hustonville, in which event it would be best, of course, to run that route. In any event, there should be a line of stages over this road by some route, to give that people greater mail and traveling facilities. We would like to see the experiment tried by someone, provided we can establish it as a mail route."

MARCH 31, 1873


"We have been anticipating to hear something said of our thriving little village, and our county taken into notice through your paper. We think our village quite a business place. The trade of the town is increasing very rapidly; so much so that persons at a distance will be behind the times if they don't read the papers."
"F.W. Roy sold to Jesse Coffey his property in Middleburg at $1,400. Dr. J. A. Wall sold to G. G. Fair his house and lot at $2,000. Messrs. Fair & Coffey are doing a lively business.
The Poplar Hill and Mintonville merchants passed through our village this morning, on the way to the city to purchase their spring stock of goods. They looked as cheerful as when they used to be in our midst. We have a splendid mill in our village, which is doing a thriving business under the care of F. W. Roy, one of the most genial fellows you ever saw.

Dr. J.A. Wall started for Texas this morning. We wish him a safe trip, and when he returns we will report his observations. H.S. Wood and family started for Kansas last week. We wish them success in their new home. The people of our county are preparing to farm extensively this year, notwithstanding the gloomy weather we have had." R.



"A correspondent, writing from Middleburg, Casey County, says, "Of the night of the 8th, a brutal outrage was committed by a band of disguised men. They visited the house of Mr. Zimmerman, and flogged him in the presence of his wife and children. Fortunately some of the party were recognized and preparations are now being made to bring them to justice." In reference to the crops, he says: "We have lately traveled over the southern part of this county, and find that the wheat crop will prove almost an entire failure. The prospects for an average fruit crop is very flattering now, and loves of apple-jack are in a lively mood."

JUNE 28TH, 1873


"At a called meeting of the Teacher's Institute, for Casey County, held at Liberty, on Saturday, June 28th, 1873, for the purpose of organization, D. W. Coleman, Common School Commissioner, ex-official, took the chair, and Eastham Tarrant acted as Secretary. A committee on organization having been appointed, made the following report which was adopted:

President, D. W. Coleman; vice-presidents, John W. Whipp, Judge Winston Bowman, Col. Silas Adams; Secretaries, Eastham Tarrant, J. Boyle Stone, A. B. Williams; Treasurer, W. F. Jackman; Post-master, J.H. Hanklee; Critics, Dr. F. O. Young, Miss Sallie Wolford, T. W. Wash.
Committee of Arrangements.
A. J. Gibony, Sr., Chairman, A. Lipe, J.M. Rose, Geo. E. Stone, W. F. Forgie, A. Royalty, B.F. Branson, Robert McAninch.
Committee on Vocal Music
John W. Whipp, Chairman, Jas. W. Roy, Wm. Foglle, Miss Martha Lyon, Miss Bell Portman, Miss Bell Napier, Miss Bell Lipe.
Committee on Program
Profs. A. S. Loventhal, B.N. Grehan.
Committee on Entertainment

W. F. Napier, Chairman, Gen. Frank Wolford, Dr. P.C. DePeauw, Col. Silas Adams.
On motion, it was ordered that all school officers or other friends of education, without regard to locality, be cordially invited to attend the sessions of this Institute, commencing July 28th, and that every effort will be made by its members to enable them to spend their time pleasantly and profitably.
On motion, it was ordered that a copy of these proceedings be sent to the Interior Journal for publication.

The meeting then adjourned, to commence July 28th, 1873. D. W. Coleman, Chm'n Eastham TDarrant, Sec'y "

FRIDAY JULY 25, 1873
"Interior Journal Vo. 20 No.II


Middleburg has two large dry goods stores, a drug store, a tin-ware establishment, several mechanical shops, and one house of entertainment, in operation. C. L. Holmes has considerable experience as a merchant; was once connected with a wholesale house in Louisville, and can't be beat in the selection of goods. Fair & Coffey also have much mercantile experience, and are doing a through trade. F. M. Roy, druggist, miller and magistrate, has won his own way by perseverance and energy, and is indispensable to the community. Situated, as we are, at the juncture of several important high-ways, in the center of a large business community, much more trading is done here than in the general quiet appearance of the place would indicate.
We have two Doctors -- Dr. B. P. Estes and Dr. Wm. Hunn -- both of fine attainments in their profession, and courteous gentlemen. As for lawyers, our neighbor, Liberty, furnishes an abundant supply when called upon.
A healthy, moral and religious atmosphere pervades the whole community. Two churches are here or in close proximity, and also a Good Templar's Lodge. King alcohol was banished years ago, and since the dethronement of his Majesty, you can no longer hear, as John Phoenix would say, "the dulcet tones of the pistol, or the pleasant shriek of the victim," --but peace and good will reign supreme."

AUG 2, 1873


" The events of the week have been lively and interesting -- unusually large crowd in attendance. In the evening a difficulty occurred between Ed Snow, Wm. Myers, Jr., and Robert Myres. Snow fired two shots without effect, and battered William's head severely with a pistol. The parties will undergo an examinal trial today."
"The only occurrence calculated to mar the pleasure of the week, took place on Monday morning. About the close of one of Professor Loventhal's fine lectures, Miss Bell Lipe, a young lady of high social position, entered the hall to the professor and informed him that she had had a conversation with God, and that God had commissioned her to inform the members of the institute through him that the world was coming to an end on that day. It was first intimation any person had that her mind was dethroned, and of course, every person present was startled. She was started to the lunatic asylum last Tuesday evening. A gloom has been cast over this entire community." (We learn from a private letter from our correspondent that the young lady above referred to has since died- ED.)
"Sneed and Varnon were present on Monday. Also, Marrs of the Advocate. J.E. Hays, a distinguished lawyer from Jamestown, honored the town with his presence several days, paying marked attention to the gentler sex. Although his life is silently approaching the sear and yellow---a rumor is afloat that cupid is playing the wild with the gentleman's heart."

FRIDAY AUG 22, 1873
Interior journal Vol II, No. 24

"Mt. Olive A fine frame school house, in many respects a model one, is completed, or nearly so, at Mt. Olive church, 8 miles from this place. A school was opened with forty-five pupils in attendance on the 4th inst. Mr. Samuel M. Williams, son of W. L. Williams of Hustonville, is the teacher. Mr. Williams, although a very young man, has already shown very unfailing laurels, as a teacher of youths. Ethelbert"

FRIDAY AUG 29, 1873
Interior Journal, Vol. II, No. 25


"We neglected in our last communication, that the common school in this place opened on the 6th inst., with 47 pupils in attendance. It is under the charge of Miss Sallie Wolford, who is highly accomplished, and has considerable experience as a teacher."
"John Vandever, a gentleman of African descent, has been entangled in the uncomfortable new-work of circumstances. Mr. Wm. Fair, the keeper of the toll-gate one mile from Liberty, had been losing corn from his field; so much so that he had unpleasant suspicions of his neighbors. A few nights since, hearing something breaking off corn is his field, he proceeded in the direction of the sound, accompanied by a large dog. A chase was soon gotten up, and the depredator so hotly pursued, that he was compelled to leave his booty, and also his horse hitched to the fence. The horse was taken possession of and locked up. Late the next evening, John being sent for, made his appearance as claimant of the horse. He strongly protested that some other person had stolen his horse and hitched him there; but John's private character being somewhat ordorous, fell credence, could not be placed in his statement. "

"Our very energetic school Commission, D. W. Coleman, informs us that he has visited all the schools south of Green River. He found about three-fourths of them in fine working order--the teachers of which had been greatly improved since the last Institute was held. They have left off the old method of teaching, and adopted new ones more in accordance with the progress of the times." Ethelbert

Interior Journal, Stanford, Lincoln County, KY


"Our farmers are unusually busy breaking up corn land, being very backward on account of the time consumed in repairing damages done by the late freshets.
Rev. J. M. Sallee has closed an interesting meeting, of a few days, on Carpenter's Creek, with three additions by Baptism. W. F. Ray has moved his family to the Southland Mill Seat, and is busy getting out timbers for the purpose of erecting his mill. Joseph Coffey, who is in partnership with H.H. McAninch, has contract to furnish King's Mountain Tunnel contractors with beef, informed us the other day that it was difficult to supply the demand on account of the scarcity of fat cattle. In order to show the value of real estate here, we will mention the fact that John O. Staton bought one tenth of an acre of land, partly composed of the bed of the river, for which he paid $750. Per acre, and was under the necessity of putting his dwelling house and shop upon stilts to keep them out of the water.

A party of five in a spring-wagon, two males and three females, supposed to be from Lincoln, made themselves conspicuous last Sunday by dashing through toll-gates with out paying toll and very nearly driving over several persons. On their return one of the gates was shut down on them when the mournful confession was made that they were out of funds. Now, we are always glad to see the people of Lincoln, but we do object to a certain class making themselves too ostentatious without they have enough of the "tin" to make themselves important in other eyes except their own; especially as it is quite probable that one of the party had only been pampered on blue-grass long enough to make him forget, that he originated on the chestnut ridges of Casey. E.

MAY 6, 1874
Interior journal, Stanford, Lincoln County, KY


News, and everything else, except Green River and its tributary creeks and brooks, have been in a stagnated condition for some weeks, therefore we have neglected to write. Farmers, for the last few days, have been busily planting corn. From the signs of the times last Wednesday morning; people may still have a chance to till their icehouses.


April 20th, of scrofula, a little son of John Moore. Mr. Moore also got his hand terribly cut with an ax.


In Liberty, on Last Sunday, by Elder R. A. Hovious, Mr. James A. Wright to Miss Mary Marples.
On Tuesday last, Chrisman, Warren, Wolford and Adams, for Commonwealth's Attorney -- Van Winkle and Owsley, for Circuit Judge Stone and Bowman, for County Judge-- all made speeches here, but owing to a misunderstanding of date of appointment, few were present.

Rev. T. H. Coleman, assisted by Rev. J. M. Sallee, has been conducting a meeting at Richard's Schoolhouse for the last two weeks, resulting in a number of additions, and an increasing interest still manifested.
F. W. Roy has sold his unexpired time in the mill at this place to J.R. Coffey, and has timbers ready for erecting his own mill as soon as the watter falls.
We were shown yesterday, the second number of the Good Templar's Advocate, a manuscript paper, issued semi-monthly at this place, G. G. Fair, W. A. Coffey, Willie Fogle, and R. A. Hovious are its editors. Its editorial matter and selections are excellent, and has able contributors to its columns. It is done up in the superior chirography of Mr.
Hovious, in a manner that would throw the author of Spenserian penmanship in the shade.
Dr. F. O. Young, for some years a teacher here, has been located for some weeks at Liberty, as a practicing physician.
Feeling an abiding interest in the progress of education in Lincoln County we earnestly endorse the suggestions of Turnersville, in relation to a county association of teachers.
Our merchants are receiving splendid lots, spring and summer goods.
Jesse Coffey wishing to bring some extra style to this section called at an establishment last week in Louisville to purchase a buggy whip. Calling for the best, one was shown him priced at $30. He concluded to wait and sell another stock of goods before purchasing. The dealer had the same-opinion of him that Hon. G. R. McKee had of himself, when he accidentally put on Col. Wolford's pants, and found in the pockets an acorn and barlow knife; he thought Jesse was a Casey "hoss". E.

Casey VS Lincoln County
Interior Journal, Vol III, NO. 29


As you have other correspondents from our county we shall not burden your columns with lengthy, prolix articles of matters, - but since it is claimed, and, I believe, universally conceded, that along the Rolling Fork lies the Eden of Casey, I feel inspired to hope, notwithstanding we have no "Ethelberts," that an occasional paragraph from us will not be entirely ignored........As a county Casey is known to be rugged and mountainous, hence it is the "upper tens," and not infrequently some of the "lower tens," of the Blue-grass regions; are constantly associating in their minds with the people of Casey, their inelegant, uncouth ideas and notions of "the knobs." But let us say to all such, that these opinions are more frequently founded upon prejudice and corrupt educational bias than upon any good reason. It is doubtless true, as a rule, that the educational standard of Casey is inferior to that of Lincoln, --but for the people along the Rolling Fork; we claim a place second to none. Our schools, from Hustonville to Bradfordsville are equal to the best in the State. Our churches lift their lofty, golden spires as inspiring to kiss the very heavens. Our residences that deck the green carpeted mounds on either side of the pike would reflect honor upon any country. The enterprise and industry of the sturdy Granger may be seen peeping forth from every vale and dale along the valley. His barns and granaries are as richly stored with luxuriant products as the model husbandman's of more fertile counties. Plenty is written upon the adipose walls of every living creature. As an evidence of enterprise, our school teachers and preachers are paid as liberally as in any rural district of the State - and while we regret to learn that only a few copies of the Interior Journal are delivered through our post-office, our citizens are nevertheless a reading people. The writer has had the pleasure of teaching several different schools in Lincoln during the past few years, but in no community of Lincoln, in which he ever taught, did he find the attainments of pupils so favorable and creditable as here. This speaks well for the people of Rolling Fork Valley, and we have no doubt that they will continue to maintain their credit........."

FRIDAY OCT 9, 1874
Interior Journal, Vol III, No. 29

"Revs. A. D. Rash, of Stanford, and John M. Sallee, Middleburg, have just concluded one of the most interesting revivals of religion, at the Rocky Ford Church that was ever our good pleasure and profit to attend. The house, large and commodious, was filled to overflowing from its inauguration to its close. We never witnessed a meeting characterized by a more profound solemnity of earnestness and feeling upon the part of an audience. It continued sixteen days without the least perceptible flagging of interest, and the people only regret that other engagements equally imperative demand the attention of these worthy Heralds of the Cross. The result was twenty-two accessions by baptism, and five by letter, to say nothing of the good it did the church. The Rocky Ford Church is purely Baptist, yet in the adjacent communities are found many persons who claim to be exponents of other doctrines. A. D. Rash is the regular pastor, and right well has he proclaimed the tidings of his mission.....
On Friday night last, the dry goods store of Alstott Bros. was broken into by a band of robbers, who failing to find any ready cash, carried off about $450 worth of goods. The house was entered by means of a window. Circumstances indicate that there were quite a number of the robbers banded together, as there were evident traces that some stood picket while others plundered the house. G.W.C. "

MAY 29, 1875
Interior Journal of Stanford, Kentucky, Lincoln County, KY Vol. 4, No. 13


Death has invaded a happy family circle near Mt. Salem. On the 19th inst., Mr. Wm. H. Walls, Sr., after an illness of about six weeks, serenely departed this life, in the 71st year of his age. He had, for a number of years, been a member of the Baptist Church, and gave full evidence of bright hopes beyond the grave. He leaves a large number of friends and relatives. Wm. H. Walls, Jr., after three months absence in Illinois, returned on the 19th, -- four hours subsequent to the death of his father.
Mrs. Maria McKinney is now lying seriously ill.

A number of the fair sex of Lincoln county made their appearance in our village today, ostensibly on a fishing excursion--but of course there will not be many fish caught. ETHELBERT "

FRIDAY JULY 23, 1875
Interior Journal, Stanford, KY, Lincoln County Vol. 4, N0 21


A bran-new eleven-pound boy at J. M. Bryant's.
Jake Lucus, a lively son of Mr. Dan. Lucus, living near Mt. Salem, while on a visit to a relation's near this place, was terribly bitten and lacerated by a large dog a few days since. He is now doing well.
Near the C.S. R. R., the other day, two women, Mrs. Mary Wilcher and Mrs. Mary J. Smith, after a proper amount of skirmishing and flank movements execute, with the unusual skill of females on such occasions, succeeded in killing a large rattle snake. It has seven buttons.
Three rogues made an entrance into John Troine's store at Carson's Mill and took out fifty dollars in money. One of them; Bill Fox, being lame in the foot, and walking on his toes, was traced, and is now in the hands of the law.

Alexander Marple's wife was bitten by a snake about dusk on day last week, and suffered intensely for some hours. A chicken was killed, cut open and applied to the wound, which brought immediate relief, and she is now in a fair way to recovery.


Died of consumption, at the residence of Dr. U.S. Taylor, Columbia, KY on the 12th inst. Prof. David Humphrey Butt, aged 33 years. He was the son of Mr. Green Butt, and was born and raised near Willow Springs, five miles from here, in which vicinity and also at this place he leaves many relatives. He joined the Christian church when very young and led a blameless life, being conscientious in everything he did. He had many pecuniary difficulties to struggle with in early youth, but succeeded by economy, perseverance and energy in acquiring a fine education, graduating in the College of the Bible and College of the Law in Kentucky University, and prosecuted the study of Medicine for sometime. But he neither studied law nor medicine with a professional view but only to satiate an ardent thirst for general information and the better to quality himself as a minister of the Gospel and teacher--Three years ago he went to Missouri and became principal of a high school there and took editorial charge of a local paper. While in Missouri he became affected with bronchitis, and wishing to return to Kentucky, in
hopes the change might benefit his health, he opened a correspondence with President Azbell of Columbia College, and secured the professorship of mathematics in the institution in September last."

Interior Journal, Vol. 4, No. 34.


Rev. White, belonging to the Christian church, assisted by the Rev. Z.Shackelford, is now conducting a successful meeting at Mt. Olive Meeting House, 13 additions so far. Also the Rev. Jno. M. Sallee, of the Baptist church is conducting one at Newell's School House, near by, with seven additions up to this writing.
Elder R. A. Hovious sold to Joseph Coffey three acres of land, at $120 per acre. For sometime past an interesting debating society has been going on at Richard's School House, a few miles above here. On last Wednesday night a large audience was present among whom by special invitation, were a goodly number of ladies to witness a discussion on a subject which is now not only agitating the people of the United States -- but also Egypt, Turkey, Japan and other oriental countries -- that is the Co-extensive Education of the Sexes. The affirmative was ably defended by M. L. Richards, E. Tarrant, John Lay, J. Bastin, J.H. McWhorter, Chas. Estes and J. Leonard; and the negative by Jack Walls, Moses Coffey, J. Fletcher, Jeff Walls, Geo. Fletcher, Jno. Wilcher and Will Scarboro. After full discussion the weight of argument over balanced in favor of the affirmative.

The members of a certain Lodge not far from here having lately become dilatory in attendance and careless about paying dues, the owner of the house became clamorous for back rent. At a recent meeting, at which there was a very meager attendance, a leading member proposed that they repudiate the Lodge debts and use the few funds in the treasury to buy whisky, and all get on a big spree. This raised the ire of devoted, honest Aunt Julia, who poured her vials of wrath in becoming Billingsgate style on the offending member. The scene was said to be rich. Ethelbert


Died, October 13th, at Mr. John Metcalf's, Bright Metcalf, age seven years and one day.

FRIDAY NOV 19, 1875
Interior Journal, Lincoln County, Stanford, KY Vol. 4, NO. 38


On the 11th inst., at the residence of her mother, of consumption, Matilda, wife of Samuel Smith Jr. Funeral services were held at Concord Church, attended by Rev. D.M. Johnson, after which her remains were deposited in the Burying Ground at Mr. B. Ellis'.
Geo. Tyree and son shipped to Louisville last week a No. 1 lot of fat hogs, for which they realized 7 3/4 cents. Capt. G. W. Penn and William Edwards have sold at home for 7c, to Messrs. Drye and Butt. Well done, for them, as hog cholera has recently made its advent into this neighborhood.


Rev. John O. Southerland, of Somerset, has just closed a protracted meeting, of two weeks duration, at Concord. About 7 additions to the church. Rev. S. is a man of distinguished and marked ability--one zealously devoted to the cause of his Master, and it is astonishing to think that with such audiences as he was favored at Concord, more did not heed his wise counsel and earnest entreaties. May he be instrumental (a humble
instrument in the hands of God,) in bringing many to the fold of Christ.

The officers of Sam Young Lodge No. 1187 I.O.G.T., elected at a recent meeting, were installed on the 6th inst. Their names are as follows: S.G., Drye, W. C. T; Mrs. Pattie Drye, W. V. T; N.B. Nash, W.S.; Miss Rocena Penn, A.S; W.H. Bell, W.F. S; W. Ellis, W.T; O.Smith; W.C. A.C. Woodson, W.M. Mrs. J. Young, W. D. M.; Mrs. Roan Coffman, IlG; David Coffman, O.G; Miss Bettie Ellis, R.H. S.; Mrs. E. Young, L.H.S.
A Deer Hunt--On the morning of the 11 inst, Smith and Marshall Powell, W. Edwards, A. Carpenter, and several others, armed themselves with muskets and double-barrel shot-guns, sallied forth to Brush Creek from their respective abodes, accompanied by
an excellent pack of deer dogs, seemingly, with a full determination to kill or cripple a deer. They finally succeeded in starting one, and after running it for about 3 hours, Smith Powell, that expert marksman, met him in his wild carder and opened his field-piece, perforating 4 buck-shot in his body; killing him almost instantly. Thus ends the history of a deer hunt that probably created as much sensation in our neighborhood as a Morgan raid during the late rebellion. Casey "

NOV 26, 1875
Interior Journal, Lincoln Co. Stanford, KY Vol. 4, NO. 39.
Casey County News Middleburg

On the 14th inst., of pneumonia, Mrs. Ellen A. Benson, consort of William Benson, aged about fifty years. She was a devoted wife and mother, and her many friends and relations sustain a great loss.
Mrs. Eliza Daugherty, wife of Jas. W. Daugherty, living near Stanford, who has been very low with pneumonia, at the house of her father. Mr. William Benson is now in a fair way to recover.
The pneumonia has been, and is still prevailing to a considerable extent, in this section.
On a visit today to South fork, we were astonished to see the rapid advancement in the iron bridge at that place. About 160 feet of the span has already been constructed. If the work still continues to progress as it has done of late, it will soon be completed.
A feeble state of heal for some weeks must account for this meager report.

FRIDAY DEC 3, 1875

Mr. R. McWhorter, lies very low with pneumonia;. Also, the wife of Robert Ross is very ill at the house of Mr. H. McAninch.

Circuit Court is still in session at Liberty. It is thought that the Criminal Docket will consume the whole court, and that civil cases will most of them have to lie over. Among the cases tried last week. Frank Lanham, for carrying concealed weapons, was fined $50. and sentenced to ten days imprisonment. The Commonwealth vs. G. Wash Brown, for shooting at Thos. Snow, with intent to kill and wounding him, which case has been tried heretofore, and resulted in a hung jury, occupied five days of the present Court, and the jury was again hung. Commonwealth's attorney Denny, assisted by Jas prosecuted Brown. W. Alcorn, Col Silas Adams and others, and defended by Col Frank Wolford, J. S. Van Winkle, J. E. Hayes, M.C. Saufley, R. C. Warren, Jno. D. Belden, and George Stone. The case elicited some fine speeches from the legal gentlemen engaged, and
especially that of Judge Saufley, we hear very highly commended. John Saunders, charged with killing his father, who has been running at large for several years, was arrested in Green County, and lodged in Liberty jail last Sunday evening. His trial has not come up yet.
In regard to our pet horse thieves, Goff's case was continuing, and Floyd's was set for today. (Monday). "

Stanford, KY, Lincoln County, KY
Interior Journal Vol. V, No. 6

After the deep snow we are favored with mild and salubrious weather; changing the countenances of our farmers very much.


On Wednesday evening, 20th inst., James David, infant son of J. W. and Mitilda Porter. "How sweet to think that on his eyes, a lovelier clime shall yet arise; That he shall wake from sorrow's dream, beside a pure and living stream."


Miss -- Egbert of Mercer, is now visiting relatives and friends in this neighborhood.
She is at present the guest of Mr. M. Sweeny. A fondness for the society of ladies is something with which many of our young men have been lavishly endowed, and a "gift of gab" is certainly prominent among them -- consequently, we predict for her a pleasant visit while here -- on departure the "Captress" of at least one-half dozen hearts. Boys! Go slow!! Or you will lose the heart that beats within your bosom.
Monday, 27th. was County Court at Liberty. Quite a large crowd present. Matters went on in a business-like style. Our Sheriff was kept busy selling land for tax. It is rather strange to say he purchased nearly all that was sold, and at very low figures. Rev. J. M. Kirk and one Mr. Hardin from Mercer, candidates for Congress, addressed the good people of Casey, presenting their claims. Rev. K. told the people that he was a good, pious, and justified man--though he "ruined it all" among the Catholics, by asserting that
with in 10 years we would be under the rule of Papal power. Mr. Kirk touched very lightly on the political issues of the day--simply because his is not posted. Mr. Hardin gave a partial sketch of the proceedings at Washington. Let Uncle Geo. II. rest as he needs--they all need it, regardless of party. We presume both are sanguine.
We recently had the pleasure of attending an examination conducted by Mr. N. B. Nash; it being the close of a writing school that he gave his pupils. Cass No. 1, on the theory of Penmanship, composed of 6 little boys and ranging from 7 to 13 years of age. 72 questions were propounded; there being a premium awarded. Master H. Penn, 10 years old received it, missing one question. Class No. 2, composed of young ladies and gentlemen principally 21 in number. After questioning the class for about two hours 6 of them tied-- missing no questions. The examination was extended, when two of the number tied again. Mr. N. agreed to give each of the contestants a premium. He asked the six 336 questions -- three of them missed 3 each; one of them 2; the remaining two, 1 each. The best drilled class we ever saw. Miss K. Reid and George Penn are the winners. CASEY"

Stanford, Lincoln County, KY,
Interior Journal, Vol. 5, No. 7


Rev. Mr. Cook, of the Methodist E. Church, preached at Roberts Chapel on the 2nd inst., at 11 o'clock, A.M. Rev. Tom Taylor of the Christian church preached at the same place, on same day, at 3 o'clock, P.M. a revival conducted by Rev. D. M. Johnson, is now going on at Johnson's Chapel, on Little South Fork, several additions to the church.


On the 7th inst., Geo. Denny, infant son of Samuel D. Jeffries, Jr, aged 10 days.
Marshal Wyatt is now in Russell County, proving a terror to Moonshiners. The popular Temperance movement, aided by the Federal authorities, will certainly ere long, crush the liquor traffic.


Mrs. Sarah Williams, consort of Geo. A. Williams, is now visiting relatives in this vicinity.
We have a model Sabbath School at Robert's Chapel. The attendance is generally good, and quite an interest manifested. In fact, we know of no Sunday School in the country, that surpasses it. CASEY"

Casey County News, Wednesday, August 11, 1937
Educational Notes by W. M. Watkins, Superintendent, Casey County Schools.
"History of Grove District Probably the most exciting history of Casey County centers around the raid of Morgan's men during the Civil War and the building of the Green River Railroad, which included the tram, the narrow gauge, and the standard gauge.
The tram road was built from Kings Mountain to the John Estes place. For a good description of this road see the history of the
Walltown district. This makeshift was built about 1879, after the 13,000 acres of land owned by Enoch Burdette had been bought by Eugene Zimmerman at the sale held at Poplar Springs near the home of Biven and Sally Meade. The tram road proved
inadequate and the small cars were replaced by a narrow gauge which was extended from Kings Mountain to Grove. The company, which was headed by Eugene Zimmerman, brought two large saw mills into the county. The first one was located
at Poplar Springs and was called Mill Number One. Quite a settlement grew up around this mill and became known as Staffordsville. In honor of Howard Stafford, who was the first superintendent of the works. Mill Number Two was located on the land now owned by Fritz Bastin, near Walltown, the output of this mill was hauled by oxen to a point which became known as Duncan. After the man who measured the lumber and logs. The oxen were shod with a peculiar type of shoe, needing two pieces to the foot. The oxen were
jacked up with a windlass while being shod. So many were the oxen and wagons that the blacksmith industry was a thriving one and a very prominent occupation, both in wood-work and ironwork. The late W. L. McCarty, well-known businessman of Lincoln County ran the first blacksmith shop at Staffordsville. The price for shoeing an ox was from twelve to fifteen cents per shoe. Ancel Frederick did much of the wood work in the blacksmith shops and with the help of Uncle Henry Green Riffe, made the first passenger coach on the narrow gauge on top of a flat car.
After the largest and handiest timber was cut at Staffordsville and Walltown the mills were moved nearer the timber. The Staffordsville mill was moved to near where the road up Indian creek joins the Grove and Kings Mountain road at the present home of
Franklin Hamilton and the mill at Walltown was moved to Grove, back of the Evans home. (1937) A huge pile of sawdust for years after the mill had gone stood a silent witness, condemning the barbarous slaughter of the lovely forest
children--yet in a measure a justifiable one.
At Grove, Jordan Brooks, a colored man, ran the first blacksmith shop, followed by Rash McKinsie.

A large commissary and depot was built just east and north of the Evans house and a little farther east a huge barn for the many cattle was built.
The train that led across Grove Ridge was the Liberty and Mt. Vernon Road. The railroad paralleled the dirt road roughly except that they crossed at a few points. One crossing was at Grove. The next one at the Ed Adams place, which was, called the Burdette Crossing, after Enoch or Bill Burdett. The next crossing was the Yates place and was called "Dicks" crossing (this crossing got its name from the fact that a horse named Dick was killed by a tree which was dug up when the narrow gauge road was being built.) The next crossing was near the Bob Martin place.
When the mill was moved to Grove several houses were built in addition to the commissary and barn mentioned above. A fine well was dug and is yet well known as the "Grove Well." An old cave is located east of Grove School house. From this cave a
pipe line supplied water to the water tank used by the engine on the road. Some of the older inhabitants remember that after the railroad was torn up that the pipe supplied the school with water.
An old storage house that stood near where Forch Leach now lives was torn down and made into a combined church house, school house and Masonic Hall and stood near where the present school house is located. This house was erected about 1882. This old house stood until about 1894. For some reason it was the home of many "Devil Darning needles" of which the children were very much afraid. The first school was taught at Grove by a Mrs. McAnelly whose husband was a boss in the log woods. She was followed by Miss Mattie McDaniel, Tom Benson and Ella Lewis. Others teachers were Dr. Lemuel Godbey, John Wheat, Caleb Newell, Wolford Taylor, Jason Wesley, Jodie Kelsay, Lula Adams, William henry Falconberry, Alva Lucas, Ben Foley and J. R. Statom. Supt. Henry Taylor condemned the old building and one Sam D. Napier
contracted to build a one room frame building, which stood at the present site until 1917 while Ransom Hatter was trustee it was replaced with the present two room building. The district was very large and families well scattered after the railroad was torn up but the cheap company land, which sold at from two to five dollars per acre soon, attracted an agricultural type of people.
Liberty was located as the county seat in 1808 and not many years after that a road was surveyed from that point to Riffe's Mill (now Middleburg) on the great road which connected Stanford and Columbia. By 1850 or 1860 a road or trail which ran near the present home of Forch Leach was known as the Liberty-Mt. Vernon Road. Most of the settlers before the coming of the railroad in the Grove district came from Virginia direct or by way of Tennessee. A few afflicted with wanderlust came from Pennsylvania, the
Carolinas, and Maryland. Before 1880 the population of what is now Grove district was very sparse. John Frederick whose sister married David Brown, lived near where preacher Thompson now lives, a house where Walter Dorn now lives and the Enouch Burdett place with a few Wall families near the Wall graveyard made up the most of the population.
A post office was operated at one time at Grove known as Deadwood. A list of names well known to the old timers are: Ed Claypool, Biven Meade, Ike Kelsay, Dick Wise, Geo. Lewis, Bunk Gauzney, John Seward, Wince Snow, Martin Middleton, a good old pioneer preacher.

The system of paying the men was by means of script, issued in denominations from 5 cents to 5 dollars, which read, "Good only in Eugene Zimmerman's Store" This script became widely scattered over the neighborhood. The company had a payday once a month but a worker could get script at the end of each day. Other persons and sidelights on early Grove were Billy Fields and Billy Sanders, head sawyers, Mike Ginan, a big double-fisted Irishman who was the stable boss. A man by the name of Gill who killed his wife out near the Rube Statom place, Phillip Cain who was a brother to Mrs. Jane Martin and clerk in the commissary.
Ben Mesner was section and grade foreman. Mrs. John Galder ran a boarding house near the Evans home.
No liquor store was allowed to be put up at Grove but some few sold bootleg and stillhouses were in a few hours ride on horse back. Preston Bolin was for many years track-walker. Anderson Maynard, Pete Fuel, Bill and Caly Patterson, Joe and Hiram Douglas were other late settlers."
County named 1806
For Col. William Casey,
early KY pioneer and great - grandfather of Samuel J. Clemens, "Mark Twain". Casey born in VA. Came to KY in 1779. Built Casey's Station on the Dix River in 1791. Member of Convention, 1799, to fram second KY Constitution. Trustee, town of Columbia, 1802. 1813. Presidential Elector. Lived Adair Co, died 1816. County formed from Lincoln.
Casey County Marriages

Book One - Partial List
Book Two - Not Available At This Time
Book Three - Partial List
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
John Fry

Entered land on Carpenter's Creek 8 miles north, 1780, on a Treasury Warrant for service in the Revolution. Land Grant signed, 1783, by Gov. Benj. Harrison. Engaged in Battle of Point Pleasant, 1774, Served in Rockingham Militia, VA., during Revolution. With Kentuckians when killed at Blue Licks Battle, 1782, at age of 28. Four generations of family owned land over a century.
"For your reading enjoyment,  Happy Holidays and God Bless from Casey County, Kentucky"        Pat Brooks

Casey County News  Volume 37, No. 6, January 29, 1941


Here we go again reminiscing and today I wish to give fingernail sketches of men who helped build the community which we know.  I write from memory, without notes or records and the names of individuals who I mention just happen to be those I have known or heard about and by no means is inclusive but each of these was a stalwart oak, standing out as a leader who contributed to the advance of civilization.  A few of these men traveled over the "Wilderness Road" into Kentucky and settled in eastern Casey county on Fishing Creek.  That "Wilderness Road" has a history which is of interest to any Kentuckian, for over it traveled D. Boone and the hundreds of later men and women from the best homes and the oldest colleges of Virginia and the Carolinas.  My friend Bill Watkins should give us an article on this famous road and its influence on Casey.  Over this road traveled the early settlers of Lincoln county and later Casey county.  Among the number we shall enumerate David Humphrey, Johnson Elliott, Big Jim Adams, Old Johnny Morgan.  These men and some of their sons together with other names will make up the sketches.

Big Jim Adams is the father of Col. Silas Adams who represented the 11th Congressional District of Kentucky in Congress.  "Big Jim" as he was called by his friends was a man big of stature and big of soul and character.  He was one of the founders of the Mt. Olive Christian church in 1832.  he lived on Fishing Creek and was a leader in his community.  His son, Col. Silas Adams of Liberty was one of the biggest men intellectually and politically which Casey county has produced.  He was an orator and a good lawyer.  At one time he was offered the nomination for Governor on the Republican ticket.  He was educated in the public schools of Casey county and Bacon College of Harrodsburg.  During the Civil War he was connected with the First Kentucky Cavalry, becoming Colonel After the resignation of Col. Frank Wolford in 1863.

Col. Frank Wolford was a military genius, who led the First Kentucky Cavalry to many victories.  He laid out little stress on military discipline.  After the war he practiced law in Liberty and became a noted criminal lawyer.  He was a power before a jury and cold with all ease shed big tears before the jury.  Colonel Wolford once said, there were two
things with God o'mighty could not foretell; "one was how a jury would decide a case, and the second whom a woman would marry."

Another pioneer lawyer of Casey county was the late George E. Stone.  He was the most studious man in Liberty of this time.  He never loafed on the corner but was always in his office in the Court House or at home or on his way to or from.  He attended strictly to his profession and built up a fine practice.  Later in life he moved to Danville and continued the practice in the Blue Grass Capitol.

Johnson Elliott pioneered a farm on Fishing Creek in eastern Casey county.  He and his mother, two sisters and brother settled in Casey county in 1801, and patented title to his farm.  Johnson Elliott is the daddy to all the subsequent family of the name in Casey County.  He was known as "Silver Head" for the reason he carried a silver half dollar in his skull, due to a fracture sustained during a fight at a log rolling in which his antagonist struck him in the head with a hand spike.  Old Johnson was a worker; when a man came to see him on business when he was out in the field at work he would demand that the man climb over the fence and walk back in the next row and talk.  He would not stop.  Johnson would never charge a visitor for staying all night with him.  He said if the visitor was wise he would learn enough to pay him and if he were a fool he would receive entertainment enough to compensate him, so he was the winner in any event.  Old Johnson accumulated thousands of acres of land during his life and was able to settle each of his many sons on a good farm and give each daughter a cash dowry.

The farm old great-grandfather Elliott settled in 1801 is still in the Elliott family and has been for one hundred and forty years.  he lies buried on this farm but noliving soul can locate the exact spot.

Another pioneer who traveled over that "Wilderness road", was David Humphrey who settle on the head waters of Russell Creek in about 1794.  He was a British Tory  and was never reconciled to the Revolution.  He had several children among whom was John Humphrey, grandfather of Marion Humphrey, and the first Supt. of Schools of Casey County.  John Humphrey lived and died north of Mt. Olive or Humphrey post office.  He was a very remarkable man, one of those original souls who carried the responsibilities of an entire community on his shoulders.  He taught school both public and subscriptional and writing schools; he was a squire and an arbiter in the disputes of his neighbors.  He was a founder of the Mt. Olive Christian church and Elder in the church.  No one man in the entire community had the confidence and love of all the people as he did.  He was a godly man, upright, honest and true.  In 1857, he served as clerk of the sale of Johnson Elliott estate and wrote the sale bill with a goosequill pen of which I have a photostatic copy.  His bones lie in the Salyers graveyard.

Old man Howe McAninch is a pioneer who was remarkably successful.  He grew up on the Rich Hill Section and later moved to Middleburg.  He was unlearned but as Mrs. McAninch often said, "he knew every hair on a cow's back."  He amassed a fortune in lands and money and became the richest man in Casey County.

I know no pioneer whom I had rather say a word about than Dr. J. T. Westley.  He is a member of the Bethelridge family and was born there but moved to Middleburg and lived most of his life.  He was a pioneer physician tried and true.  He believed in the nobility of his profession and gave to it every ounce of his strength.  He was an upright citizen, a good husband and father, and a pillar in the Methodist church.  His daily life among his neighbors and patients was regular Sermon on the Mount. No finer
character ever lived in Casey county.

Uncle Joshua Taylor a friend and neighbor of Dr. Wesley was another pioneer who helped mighty in building the society we know in Casey county.  He served as pastor in the Methodist church for years and died in that faith.  He was austere in his principles and straight and struck in his daily habits.  In contrast to Dr. Wesley who was gentle and tender as a woman.  Uncle Joshua was retiring unemotional and a stern son of the voice of God.  In his face was written the history of a soul free from sin and guilt and a life without guile.

In religion and church work, Joe Q. Montgomery, did pioneering.  He came to Casey county from Lincoln county and settled in Liberty and lived there most half a century.  He held pastorates at Mt. Olive, Green River, Freedom and Liberty as well as in churches in Lincoln county.  Brother Montgomery as he was never at aloss as what to say.  He stood an oak of tolerance, sanity, clean living of the entire county.  He and my father and Dr. W. T. Garner were born the same year.

Dr. W. T. Garner of Mt. Olive is another pioneer physician; he is yet living.  Dr. Garner was born near Caintown in Pulaski county.  He attended lectures for a few months in Louisville and began practice of medicine in Pulaski county, but when Dr. Shird McClure left Mt. Olive for Indiana, Dr. Garner set himself up there and has been in practice ever since.  Dr. Garner has seen the seamy side of the practice.  Many times he bumped up against situations and ailments not set out in the books and he had then and there to diagnose the disease and administer a remedy without consultation and without tools.  He was out there in the tall and uncut to attend suffering humanity with no facilities and few principles of sanitation.  He as done a remarkably good job and has worn out his life in service.  Dr,. Garner went whether there was money at the end of the trip and the gear which he has not accumulated here will be represented in mansions above where it can well be said and justly earned "well done good and faithful servant.... enter thou into the joys of the Lord."   No doctor in rural Kentucky has had a richer or more varied experience than  Dr. Garner.  His Fence-Corner diagnosis of disease in patients who entered Boyle County Hospital now Dr. Ephriam McDowell Memorial Hospital, from Casey county has proved correct on a vast majority of his patients.  Dr. Garner has two sons, George P. and Columbus, who is the daddy of about thirteen children; all living.  Doctor once said, "Columbus would have a baby early in the spring at his house and would not have another until way late in the fall."

There are a host of other pioneers who have helped to build Casey county whom I would like to make a brief sketch among who are McDowell Fogle,  F. P. Combest,  Tommy Wash,  Old Johnny Hamilton who loaned money but would never take a note, for "a man's word was as good as his bond with Johnny"   and Old Johnny Morgan in whose house Isaac Shelby spent a night while campaigning for Governor about 1792 and my father and I tore the house down in 1921 and built a hog-pen out of some of the yellow poplar logs.  In 1938 I cut a stick off one of those logs and brought it to Oklahoma and gave another stick to Mr. Lancaster of Lebanon who took it to Cincinnati to be hung in the office of his lumber company as evidence of the durability of yellow pooplar.  This particular log was more than one hundred and fifty years old.  It was in the same house my sainted mother sheltered from the hurricane which swept over Casey county about 1880, the strong wind blew a fence rail through the chink!
and dobbin between the logs.  Vincent Wesley's family of eight souls were killed in this storm.  Bed quilts and blankets were blown and carried by the wind seven miles and lodged in the tops of trees on my great-grandfathers farm.  When I was a boy the old folks reckoned time by "the big storm."   The baby was born before or after the big storm.

My editor, and readers of the Casey County News, I hope the fingernail sketches of pioneers whom I happen two know or knew about will provoke other pioneer names to be added and when all others have contributed the knowledge we can have a composite picture of the early pioneers who blazed a wilderness that you and I might enjoy the blessings of civilization.       A. CO. Elliott, Tulsa Okla.  1941.
In May of 2004, Dee Godkin made a genealogy trip to Kentucky and came back with some extra ordinary pictures and wonderful historical information on the Carpenter family. Included in this are pictures of Station George Carpenter's house, as it looks today, the house built by Hugh Logan Carpenter Station George's son, built 1838  - 1840, and pictures of the Carpenter Station Cemetery.
If anyone has any further information please email Dee at or myself (Rena) at
Casey County Courthouse

Present seat of justice, built 1888, was preceded by log building, 1809, and brick structure, 1837. Architects for current courthouse were the noted McDonald Bros. of Louisville. Its asymmetrical desgin and lavish use of stone trim (by T.D. Dunhauser of Germany) are unusual features among courthouses of McDonald firm. Listed on Nat'l Register of Historic Places, 1977.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~