Descendants of Thomas Jr Woolsey
THOMAS WOOLSEY JR (THOMAS5, RICHARD4, THOMAS3, GEORGE "JORIS"2, GEORGE SR1)was born October 21, 1761 in NY - Bedford, Westchester, and died April 06, 1797 in TN - Greene County. He married PHOEBE GILBERT in 1779 in VA - Radford, Washington, daughter of SAMUEL GILBERT and HANNAH. She was born May 10, 1763 in NY - Esopus, Ulster, and died Abt. 1835 in KY - Knox County.
Thomas was a Revolutionary War Veteran. He lived in Caldwell County, Kentucky. (Per Steven Alsip - this line is special to me as Sarah and Gilbert married son and daughter of my Zephaniah Woolsey (with wife, makes a double line!) and daughter Ann married daughter of my ancestor, Nicholas Trosper! Also Phebe married William Hubbs, son of my ancestor John Hubbs! I believe I am related to this line 10 times!!!
April 6, 1797, Greene County, Tenn., named in will, wife Phebe, children Ruth, Sarah, Gilbert, Mary Ann. Gave Gilbert 100 acres on Little Lick Creek. Executors, Giles Parman (2nd husband of Thomas' wife, he and she moved to Knox County, Ky., Frethias Wall and wife Phebe
1999 March 22 from Wilford W. Whitaker
Rev. Thomas Woolsey, Jr., Baptist preacher in VA
1999 April 09, 1999 from Wilford W. Whitaker:
This is Phoebe Gilbert, prob d/o of Samuel Gilbert. She md the Rev. Thomas Woolsey [s/o Rev. Thomas Woolsey and _____ (Sarah Pierce) and when he died, she md Giles Parman Sr. as his second wife and her second husband. When she md him, she md him as Phoebe Woolsey and so some researchers thought she was a Woolsey, but she was a widow. I so appears that she and Giles may have had children.
I found Giles Parman's will in Knox Co., TN and am working on that right now. He mentions his present wife and the child (children?) he had by her.
More on that later.
2006 December 7 from Wilford Whitaker
ON-LINE: Hardeman Co, TN QUERIES: Rita Johnson 18 Mar 1997. "Searching for info on Ann Scott of Hardeman Co, TN. She md Adam Lockhart II of Anson Co, NC. Ann Scott was my great-great grandmother, the third wife of my great-great grandfather Adam Lockhart II. She is bur in the fam cemetery in Whites Store, NC. Adam and Ann had two children together, Robert Vernon Lockhart and Wilma Lockhart. I believe Ann Scott was a cousin to Thomas Woolsey Jones or his wife Mary Ann Ellerbe Jones of Booneville, MS. P. O. Box 469, Jamestown, KY. 42629.
GENE: Woolsey, Robert M. THE WOOLSEY FAMILY --- A Genealogy in the form of annotated Family Charts. 1939-1969 The NYG&B Society. 2.144. Susanna Woolsey, 1787, m. 31 Oct 1807 Alex Jones =69 p37[?]
GENE: Raymond Woolsey
QUERIES: Kathleen Eaton Greene Mar 1997:
Robert Jones md Tabitha Lard or Sabitha Lord in 1816 in Hart Co, KY. Robert Jones had brothers: Alexander Jones md Susan Woolsey/Woolzey, Thomas Jones md Zilpha Green, William Jones md Lucinda Gore, James Jones md Nancy Stanley Harris, widow of Nathan Harris. This Jones family moved to Wayne Co, IL and to Sangamon Co, IL by 1829. Father Jones died early 1800 in Pulaski Co, KY.
Susannah Woolsey could be the daughter of the Rev. Thomas Woolsey, Jr., and Phoebe Gilbert, but I'm not sure of that connection. She is not listed in the will of Rev. Thomas Woolsey, Jr.
1999 August 21 from Wilford W Whitaker:
From Ulster Co., New York and Greene Co., TN records: Phoebe Gilbert, b 10 May 1763 at Esopus, Ulster, New York d 1835, TN?? md abt 1779, in Washington Co., VA, to The Reverend Thomas Woolsey, Jr. [son of Rev. Thomas Woolsey]
This is a three-part reply to Norb Woolsey, of Tucson, and his query regarding the two Samuel Woolseys, one of Lawrence County, Tennessee, and one of Washington County, Arkansas.
1. First of all, I'm going to talk about the GILBERT family. If anyone can add to this, it would be greatly appreciated. One Reverend Samuel GILBERT seems to have been in Westchester and Ulster Counties, New York. Much of what I give following is conjecture and educated guesses, so no one should accept it at face value, as yet. But Rev. Samuel GILBERT seems to have followed the same migration as our Reverend Thomas Woolsey of Westchester County, New York, and Washington (and Smyth) County, Virginia. Rev. Samuel GILBERT may have had the following children:
1. Stephen Gilbert, b 5 Aug 1762 of Salem, Westchester, New York, d 25 Jun 1844, at Salem, Westchester, New York. He md Sarah _______ abt 1785.
2. Phoebe Gilbert, b 10 May 1763 at Esopus, Ulster, New York, d 1835, possibly in Greene County, Tennessee. She md 1) abt 1779, probably in Washington Co, VA, Rev. Thomas Woolsey, Jr. (son of Rev Thomas Woolsey, above) and she md 2) 10 Jan 1799 in Greene Co, Tennessee, to Giles Parman, Sr.
3. Mary Gilbert, b abt 1767, probably in New York, died abt 1846 in Clarksville, Red River, Texas, md 14 Jun 1787 in Greene County, Tennessee, to John Woolsey IV - (War of 1812).
4. Hannah Gilbert, b 1771, probably in Washington Co, VA and died 1855 in Henry County, Tennessee, and buried in the Breedlove Cemetery. She md abt 1792, possibly in Greene Co, Tennessee to Thomas Haynes.
5. Cassandra Gilbert [Gilbird], b 20 May 1773, Tennessee [?www], died bef 1820, Greene Co, Tennessee. She md 1 Sep 1801, Greene Co, Tennessee, to Samuel Woolsey who d 25 Nov 1844 in Lawrence Co, Tennessee.
I don't think that this was any coincidence that this group of Woolseys married into this Gilbert family, but rather there were close connections between the GILBERTS and WOOLSEYS. Can anyone shed further light on this family?
Children of THOMAS WOOLSEY and PHOEBE GILBERT are:
- RUTH WOOLSEY, b. February 06, 1780.
- SARAH WOOLSEY November 15, 1782, VA - Washington County; d. January 1857, TN - Greene County; m. WILLIAM WOOLSEY May 18, 1802, TN - Greene County; b. January 25, 1782, VA - Washington County; d. May 14, 1846, TN - Greene County.
- GILBERT W WOOLSEY, b. December 28, 1785, TN - Greene County; d. April 14, 1864, MO - Buchannan, Atchinson; m. (1) ABIGAIL MACKEY WOOLSEY, December 14, 1804, TN - Greene County; b. May 22, 1788, VA - Washington County d. August 16, 1852, MO - Buchannan, Atchinson m. (2) HEPZIBAH WALL, 1853; b. December 11, 1806, TN; d. February 14, 1857, KS - Walnut Creek, Phillips.
- MARY ANNE WOOLSEY, b. 1787; d. 1851; m. JOHN TROSPER, September 08, 1814, KY - Knox County; b. June 29, 1789, NC - Burke County; d. June 07, 1870, KS - Frankfort.
- MARY ANN WOOLSEY, b. August 30, 1788.
- RHODA WOOLSEY, b. April 04, 1794.
- PHOEBE MELISSA WOOLSEY, b. January 07, 1797, TN - Greene County; d. June 04, 1891, TN - Union County; m. WILLIAM HUBBS, July 26, 1813, TN - Greene County; b. July 28, 1793, SC - Edgefield, County; d. August 22, 1879, TN - Grainger County.