Deborah (Newcomb) Travis' gravestone
Old Bury Ground
and Nathaniel Travis
William Travis, born abt. 1742 in Westchester County, New
York and died January 1779 in the The garrison, New York. He
was married to Elizabeth Fowler who was born in New York
to Jeremiah Fowler and Sarah Dusenbury. She died in St. John,
New Brunswick. They were married in 1762 in New York.They had
- Jeremiah Travis born August 5, 1766 in New York; died 1847/8
in East Gwillimbury, Ontario, married Elizabeth Dunham (?) born
- Daniel Travis born abt. 1767/8 in New York, died before June
1857, York County, Ontario, m. Grace Pegg died abt. 1848 in East
Gwillimbury twp., York Co., Ontario born 1782
- William Travis, born Mary 1769 died October 20, 1845 in York
County, Ontario and was married to Mary.
- Sarah Travis born April 1765 in Courtland Manor, Westchester
County, New York died in Nova Scotia
- Anna Travis born 1772 in New York
- Whitney Travis born 1774 in New York, died 1811 in St. John
New Brunswick, Canada. He married Ann (unknown) who was born about
1775 and died December 30, 1836 in New Brunswick.
- Elizabeth Travis born May 15, 1773 in New York and was married
to Thomas Dunham born 1763 and died 1850.
From: "Descendants of Garrett Travis of Westchester County, New
York" by Maxine Phelps, Lines, (Main Author) The film # is 1035740
Item 40 US/CAN film Family History Library in Salt Lake City,
Unconfirmed records state that Elizabeth married Thomas Dunham,
who with his family went to Markham Twp, York County, Ontario
with the brothers of Elizabeth, Daniel Taviss, single and William
Traviss, married with family. These three families later settled
in Concession 3, E. Gwillimbury, York County, Ontario.
In claims papers for losses of Williams's estate, Elizabeth did
not give birth years for the last four children. They were 'infants'.
Nathaniel Travis was born June 20,
1763 in New York and died January 16, 1835 in Old Burying Ground,
Amherst, Cumberland Co., Nova Scotia. He was married to Deborah
Newcomb, born April 1766 in Cornwallis and died March
29, 1827 in Old Burying Ground, Amherst, Cumberland Co., Nova
Scotia. They were married Bet. 1792 - 1793 in Cumberland, Nova
Scotia. Nathaniel and Deborah had 11 children and farmed in Nova
Scotia. Except for Elizabeth, all their children were born in
Amherst, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia.
- Elizabeth Travis was born January 16, 1786 in Horton and died
October 27, 1822
- Ann Travis was born January 03, 1788 in Amherst, Nova Scotia
and died 1869. She was married to Mr. Johnson
- William Senior Travis was born January 01, 1790 in Amherst,
Nova Scotia and died March 07, 1791.
- William Junior Travis was born December 07, 1793 in Amherst,
Nova Scotia and died June 09, 1801.
- Lothrop Newcomb Travis was born December 15, 1794 in Amherst,
- Desire Newcomb Travis was born March 04, 1796 in Amherst,
Nova Scotia and died 1863
- Daniel Travis was born September 04, 1797 in Amherst, Cumberland
County, Nova Scotia and died June 04, 1861. Married Almira Black
born 1800 in Dorchester, New Brunswick .
- Charity Travis was born November 25, 1800 in Amherst, Nova
Scotia and died 1865
- Sophia Travis was born January 26, 1802 in Amherst, Nova Scotia
and died 1883. Married William Black. He was born 1798 and died
- James Travis was born January 20, 1805 in Amherst, Nova Scotia
and married Mary Elizabeth
Church, sister to Sarah Ann Church, married to John E. Travis.
She was born abt. 1816 in Amherst, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia.
- John E. Travis
born August 26, 1807 in Amherst, Cumberland County, Nova Scotia
and died 1874. He married Sarah
Ann Church who was born abt. 1815, daughter of Edward
Church and Isabel