The Township of Holland is centrally situated in the County of
Grey, having Sydenham on the North, Euphrasia on the East,
Glenelg on the South, and Sullivan on the West. It was named
after the late amiable Lord Holland; and though the "Garafraxa
Road" on its Western boundary was laid out as early as 1840, the
survey of the township at large was not taken in hand till
1849. Charles Rankin, P. L. S., made the survey in 1849 and
1850. The survey is rendered complex by the "Toronto and
Sydenham Road" being projected through the township from N. W.
to S. E., with five and sometimes six ranges of lots parallel
with it in its diagonal course. The township is somewhat hilly,
and will be in some parts, when a little older, very romantic.
Portions of Holland, especially in the vicinity of the Garafraxa
Road, are stony. The soil is generally clay, and for the
most part very fertile. When the time comes that these
Northern townships can bear the expense of underdraining on a
moderate scale, the productiveness of the soil will be immensely
increased. The timber is almost exclusively maple, beech and
elm, with an occasional sprinkling of hemlock, and some
cedar-swamps of no great extent. The township is well
watered- by many springs, some small lakes, and several mill
streams, that, running in different directions, form the head
waters or become tributary to the Big Head, Sydenham or Saugeen Rivers.
The Villages are Chatsworth or Johntown, (partly in this
town-ship), and Walter's Falls. Post-offices are found at the
two places just named, besides Berkeley, Sullivan and Massie
Post-offices. There are three grist mills-one at Walter's Falls,
Massie's and Conger's; and another building a short distance from
Williamsford, up the so called "Sable." There are a number of
Sawmills. In the Southern and central part of the township,
are Lillburn's, Hamilton's, and Lawless's Sawmills. In the
Northern part of the township are Conger's, Massie's, Ceasor's,
Walter's, and another building.
Census Reports.-The population of Holland was in 1861, 2,317,
standing in this respect eighth among the Municipalities of
the County. The natives of England were set down at 155;
Scotland, 182; Ireland, 686, Canada, 1,261; all other
countries, 33. Occupiers of land, 372; of whom 72 occupied from
20 to 50 acres each, 207 from 50 to 100 acres each and 90 over
100 acres each. Fall Wheat reported in 1861, 1,200 bushels;
Spring Wheat, 44,889 bushels; Barley, 973 bushels; Pease,
8,590 bushels; Oats 28,107 bushels; Potatoes, 42,362 bushels;
Turnips, 63,980 bushels; Hay, 1,381 tons; Maple Sugar, 12,485 lbs.;
Wool, 5,563 lbs.; Butter, 43,610 lbs. Cheese, 1,030 lbs.
Magistrates.-Henry Cardwell, George Deavitt, Richard Green,
John Fleming, John Walters.
Municipal Officers.-Reeve, John Lyons, (Berkeley P. O.)
Deputy Reeve, William Howey, (Massie P. O.)
Councillors, Richard Green, Joseph Byers, George Deavitt.
Clerk, Henry Cardwell, (Chatsworth P. O.)
Treasurer, John McInnis, Chatsworth P. O.)
Schools.-Section No. 1. Samuel Holland, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance in 1864, 28.
Section No. 2. Margaret Williams, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance in 1864, 22.
Section No.3. John W. Jackson, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance in 1864, 10
Section No. 4. Carson Price, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance in 1864, 30.
Section No.5. Minerva Smith, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance for first 6 mos. of 1864, 17.
Section No. 6. Robert Welsh, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance for first 6 mos. of 1864, 35.
Section No.9. George Henderson, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance for 1864, 14.
Section No.12. John Sutherland, Teacher. House, log. Average
attendance for 1864, 16.
Union Section No. 11 (part Sydenham). George Henderson, teacher.
House, log. Average attendance from Holland, 16; from
Sydenham, 2; total average for 1864, 16.
Union Section No.1 (part Sullivan). J. A. G. Williamson,
Teacher. House, log. Average attendance from Holland, 17; from
Sullivan, 22; total average for 1864, 39.
Union Section No. 2 (part Sullivan). John H. Campbell,
Teacher. House, frame. Average attendance from Holland, 9;
from Sullivan, 4; total average for 1864, 13.
Union Section No. 3 (part Sullivan). House, brick. Closed
NOTE.-In the following lists, "East" or "West" Toronto and
Sydenham Road, includes only the diagonal ranges parallel to
that road. "East Garafraxa Road," includes all the rest of
the township, whether contiguous to that road or not. The
Concessions number from the Garafraxa Road, Eastward.
East of Toronto and Sydenham Road.
Allan, James, Sr. 1 74
Archer, Jonah 2 41
Archer, Joseph 2 43
Baird, John, Jr. 2 15
Blaney, Patrick 2 72
Blaney, David 2 70
Brown, Edward 1 70
Boyd, John 1 53
Clarke, Robert 1 39
Clarke, Robert, Jr 1 40
Carter, Robert 1 47
Downey, Edward 4 19
Deavitt, John 3 14
Dalahinty, Edmund 2 12
Dillane, John 2 35
Edwards, Joel 1 13
Erwin, Robert 1 30
Erwin, Thomas 2 32
Erwin, Samuel 2 31
Erwin William 2 39
Erwin, Joseph 2 23
Erwin, John 2 22
Farley, Wm. 2 13
Farley, James 3 21
Fagan, Edward 1 89
Fowell, Thomas 1 6
Fanning, Joseph 1 56
Fleming, John 1 57
Fleming, John Jr 1 59
Gilmore, Robert 1 4
Greenaway, Wm 1 45
Gillespie, John 1 72
Glenn, John 2 34
Gates, Samuel 2 24
Gates, Thomas 3 19
Gordon, John 3 1
Given, Robert 4 11
Hart, Humphrey 2 18
Hamilton, James 2 45
Hamilton, Patrick 2 40
Hamilton, Archibald 2 38
Hamilton, William 2 36
Handley, John 2 27
Irvine, Andrew 4 9
Jackson, William 3 65
Jackson, David 2 63
Jackson, David, Jr. 3 64
Kinifeck, James 3 24
Kinifeck, Jeremiah 2 8
Kinifeck, James, Jr. 3 7
Leitch, John 2 51
Leitch, Charles 2 52
Lawless, Lawrence 2 49
Lings, George 1 84
Logan, James 2 79
Mackey, William 1 21
Montgomery, William 1 1
Murray, James, Jr. 1 1
Minnes, John 1 3
Montgomery, John 3 75
Middleton, John 2 66
Matthews, Patrick Jr. 3 36
Malloy, Edward 3 26
Matthews, Michael 2 17
Murphy, John 3 8
Murphy, John, Jr. 3 8
Murphy, Matthew 2 5
Miller, S. C. 2 2
Matthews, Charles Jr. 4 17
McLean, John 2 26
McKinstrey, James 2 25
McLellan, John 2 19
McNally, George 2 83
McKay, Wm. Jr. 1 10
McNeil, Arch'd 1 41
Orr, Hugh 1 2
Porter, Andrew 2 78
Perdue, Joseph 4 13
Quin, James 2 55
Quin, John 3 71
Roach, Edward 2 11
Ritchie, Andrew 2 67
Ritchie, John 2 67
Shute, James 4 13
Shunn, Richard 1 11
Shunn, Wm. 1 15
Shunn, Wm. Jr. 1 15
Silverlock, Mrs. 1 24
Sargent, John 1 66
Sanderson, Robert 2 76
Sanderson, Thomas 2 76
Shute, Anthony 4 23
Shute, Anthony, Jr. 4 21
Snooks, Henry 1 20
Troughton, Thomas 3 22
Troughton, Francis 3 13
Troughton, Samuel 2 16
Tompson, Joseph 2 28
Tidsbery, George 2 68
Thomas, Thomas 3 69
Timson, Robert 1 18
Underwood, Robert 2 81
Whitney, Thomas 3 13
Whitney, John 3 11
Winch, Charles 2 25
Williscroft, Benj. 2 20
White, Wm. Sr 1 67
Walker, Andrew 1 78
Walker, George, Sr. 3 79
Webster, Robert 1 8
Wark, David 1 37
White, Robert 1 54
Wright, James 1 62
Young, Samuel 2 57
West of Toronto and Sydenham Road.
Allen, James Jr. 1 76
Allen, John 1 77
Abbott, Joseph 2 73
Abbott, Wm. 2 62
Bennett, Wm. 2 34
Boyd, Thomas 1 72
Brown, Thomas 3 73
Bateman, Peter 2 59
Blaisdell, Benj. 1 10
Bravinder, Christopher 1 6
Close, James Sr. 1 22
Carter, Thomas 1 48
Craig, George 3 72
Crawford, Andrew 2 49
Campbell, James 2 26
Campbell, Robert 2 26
Crowther, John 2 11
Deaver, Wm. 2 67
Doherty, Hugh 3 63
Ewart, Andrew 2 70
Ewart, Edwin 3 70
Earles, Elias 1 11
Freeborn, James 2 44
Foster, Alex. 2 77
Freeborn, Andrew 2 68
Freeborn, Johnstone 1 39
Freeborn, Robert 1 41
Freeborn, Thomas 1 42
Fleming, Wm. 1 57
Gauley, Joseph 1 44
Glenn, Samuel 1 53
Glenn, Joseph 1 53
Green, Thomas 3 76
Helferty, Christopher 2 33
Hare, James 1 21
Haskett, Robert 1 63
Jackson, John 2 37
Jackson, Joseph 2 31
Kirton, Alex 3 65
Lillburn, Samuel 1 30
Lyons, Mrs. 1 56
Lee, John 2 13
Madill, Samuel 2 58
Martin, John 1 15
McInnis, John 1 5
McKay, David 1 18
McCann, John 1 24
McCann, Michael 2 66
McKennett, Robert 2 50
McKennett, Richard 2 48
McKennett, Andrew 2 47
McCann, Francis 2 38
McInnis, James 1 2
Norten, Henry 1 25
Oliver, Edward 1 25
Orr, James 2 23
Orr, Matthew 2 19
Reid, Wm. 1 70
Reynolds, Clark 1 77
Roe, Peter 3 74
Shunn, Francis 1 9
Sargent, Thomas 1 63
Speers, Robert 1 74
Stephens, James 1 76
Smith, George 2 64
Sinclair, George 2 8
White, Wm. 1 54
White, George 1 58
Welsh, Robert 2 74
Wright, Benj. 1 62
White, Thomas 1 63
Williams, William 1 13
Watson, Samuel 1 17
White, Wm. Jr. 1 67
Walker, Robert 2 80
Walker, George 2 78
Weaver, Samuel 2 24
Virtue, David 3 61
East of Garafraxa Road.
Anderson, Francis 2 50
Armstrong, John 3 50
Aitken, John 6 29
Atkinson, John 8 8
Adams, Alex. 10 4
Budge, Robert 11 18
Bradley, David 11 14
Bruce, James 10 17
Brown, Joseph Sr. 8 7
Burchill, John 8 4
Brennan, James 5 29
Boyle, James 5 30
Brosnan, John 6 27
Brosnan, John, Jr 6 27
Brennan, Patrick 3 70
Brennan, Thomas 2 67
Brennan, James Jr. 2 68
Boyle, John 4 30
Barron, Walter 2 62
Brennan, John 2 65
Brennan, Michael 3 67
Brennan, Wm. 3 68
Barron, George 3 43
Baird, Andrew 2 16
Bell, Joshua 1 19
Byers, Joseph 1 22
Breeze, Stephen H. 1 4
Buchanan, John 1 17
Buchanan, Wm. Sr. 1 16
Buchanan, Wm. 1 16
Buchanan, Arch'd 1 15
Crookshank, John 3 21
Crisp, Capt. S. 1 18
Cardwell, Henry 1 6
Cardwell, Joseph 1 6
Charlton, John 1 7
Cook, Aaron 1 21
Chambers, Wm. 3 3
Coulter, Edward 3 5
Coulter, David 3 6
Campbell, Wm. 2 3
Craven, Richard 2 5
Cunningham, Martin 2 6
Cunningham, Michael 2 6
Clarke, George 3 10
Clarke, Wm. 3 11
Clarke, Hamlet 3 11
Clarke, Robert Sr. 2 9
Cameron, John 3 17
Cameron, Alex. 3 18
Campbell, Edward 3 42
Cowling, John 3 44
Cexzon, George 2 52
Carson, Samuel 3 61
Carson, David 2 61
Carson, Dickson 3 62
Chisholm, Thomas 5 6
Caldwell, Robert 5 27
Ceasor, John Jr. 7 7
Ceasor, George 7 7
Carson, John 7 4
Cairns, John 6 1
Colville, Charles 6 1
Cook, John 11 7
Ceasor, John Sr. 8 7
Cunnington, John 9 8
Crichton, Thomas 9 6
Campbell, Philip 9 1
Campbell, Peter 9 1
Connell, George 11 9
Connell, David 11 9
Clarke, Thomas 11 16
Crawford, John 11 19
Crawford, Walter 11 19
Dickson, Thomas 12 6
Dickson, Joseph 10 6
Dickson, Mrs. 10 6
Dickson, Isaac 10 6
Dunbar, John 8 10
Dwyre, Thomas 7 10
Davidson, Wm. 4 24
Donnelly, James E. 3 48
Dale, Henry 3 51
Dale, George 3 52
Donnelly, Mrs. 2 53
Donnelly, Wm. 3 53
Deavitt, George 2 12
Dowd, Martin 3 16
Derrickson, Benj. 1 19
Douglas, Daniel 1 20
Douglas, James 1 20
Douglas, Wm. 1 20
Dudgeon, James 1 2
Dudgeon, Wm. 1 2
Dillane, Wm. 1 12
Ewing, Robert 1 15
Edgar, John 3 3
Edgar, Joseph 3 4
Elder, Donald 2 19
Elliot, Rev. Mr. 2 34
Fleming, Alex 4 27
Folkington, David 12 15
Foster, John 7 6
Foster, Wm. 8 6
Ferns, Samuel 3 41
Fraser, James 2 15
Foster, Samuel 1 3
Gaddis, John 1 16
Geary, John 1 22
Garrett, Wm. 2 1
Garrett, James 3 1
Garrett, John 3 2
Galbraith, John 2 18
Galbraith, Arch'd 2 18
Gunn, John 2 20
Gell, Robert 2 28
Green, Richard 2 30
Goy, Joseph 2 52
George, Wm. 3 65
Gill, Thomas 8 11
Gill, Michael 8 12
Gunn, Donald 9 4
Gunn, John 9 4
Heighes, Wm. 12 4
Hayes, Robert 11 6
Henderson, James 10 13
Henderson, George 10 15
Howey, Wm. 7 5
Hammell, James 11 2
Hanna, Samuel 11 3
Howey, Edward 8 4
Howey, James 8 5
Hammell, Wm. 5 4
Hammell, Robt. 5 5
Holland, Robt. 4 5
Holland, John 4 5
Houghton, Joseph 3 9
Hagen, Patrick 1 25
Hagen, Owen 1 25
Halliday, Thos. 1 27
Halliday, John 1 28
Halliday, James 1 28
Henry, Robert 11 12
Henry, Wm. 11 12
Johnstone, Robert 12 18
Jackson, John 2 63
Jamieson, W. J. 5 5
Jamieson, David 7 5
Kirk, James 4 2
Kirk, Wm. 4 2
Little, John 1 8
Lee, George Sr 1 14
Little, Wm. C. 3 8
Lee, George 2 35
Laird, James 4 4
Lynch, James 7 30
Lynch, Dennis 7 30
Love, John 10 12
Long, Charles 11 18
Lyons, Thomas 11 20
Lyons, John 12 21
Lyons, Wm. 12 20
Lyons, James, Sr 12 19
Lyons, James, Jr 12 20
Lyons, Patrick 12 19
Lee, Joseph 12 15
Murdoch, John 2 63
Milligan, Joshua 6 4
Massie, Alex 6 4
Matheson, Duncan 6 4
Matheson, Adam 6 4
Mara, Michael 3 69
Merriam, Justus 4 6
Miller, James 2 49
Moggy, Wm. 3 49
Moggy, Joseph 2 54
Moggy, John 3 59
Murray, James 3 19
Murray, Wm. G. 3 21
Matthews, Michael 2 11
Matthews, Charles Sr. 2 13
Matthews, Thomas 2 13
Matthews, James 2 14
Matthews, Patrick 3 14
Markle, W. K. 1 19
Muldoon, Edward 1 26
McKay, John 6 30
McGregor, Hugh 1 4
McCauley, Alex 1 13
McCauley, John 1 13
McIntosh, Peter Sr. 1 30
McIntosh, Peter Jr. 1 29
McClintock, Wm. 3 15
McInnis, John 2 22
McDonald, Angus 3 21
McCauley, John 2 24
McKay, Wm. Sr. 2 25
McKay, John 2 25
McKay, Angus 2 26
McLeod, Joseph 2 27
McBride, John 2 32
McKay, John 2 36
McKay, Roderick 3 45
McGeary, Owen 2 56
McGeary, James 2 56
McCartney, Francis 2 57
McGuire, John 5 1
McLean, Neil 7 26
McLellan, Samuel 9 9
McInnis, John 9 6
McDonald, Philip 9 4
McLean, W.J. 10 1
McQuaker, Wm. 10 1
McQuaker, Andrew 12 7
McCauley, George 10 7
McCauley, Cochrane 10 8
McCauley, Patrick 11 8
McNally, John 12 22
McLachlin, Peter 11 3
Neely, John 12 13
Neely, Wm. 12 16
Neely, Jacob 12 16
Neely, Thomas 12 16
Norton, Wm. 11 7
Norton, Samuel 10 9
Nicholson, John 9 7
Neelands, Andrew 6 3
Orr, George 1 20
Prile, Andrew 5 28
Pearce, John Sr. 2 39
Pearce, John Jr. 2 39
Page, Ephriam 2 40
Page, James 2 40
Pearce, George 3 43
Pritchard, Robert 2 58
Prile, Michael 4 28
Paton, Neil 6 27
Poole, John 6 28
Page, Aaron 7 9
Page, Elijah 6 7
Philips, Mrs. 8 7
Phillips, Wm. 9 10
Price, John 9 1
Price, Carson 10 4
Price, Robert 10 9
Perdue, Thomas 6 8
Pearce, Wm. 1 1
Quinton, Thomas 11 1
Quinton, Richard 11 1
Roach, James 2 15
Robinson, Wm. 9 13
Reid, Patrick 11 16
Rose, John 11 17
Rose, Magnus 11 17
Rose, Jacob 3 21
Ramage, Alex 8 1
Ramage, Thomas 8 2
Ramage, Matthew 8 2
Ramage, James 8 3
Roe, Patrick 5 30
Reader, Robert 2 29
Russell, Patrick 2 8
Richardson, Samuel 1 4
Redfern, Wm. 1 5
Ross, Robert Sr. 2 2
Strathy, A.E. 1 18
Smith, Wm. 1 30
Smith, Donald 1 30
Sinclair, Donald 2 4
Sinclair, Peter 2 4
Sparrow, Edward 2 33
Sparrow, Thomas 2 34
Stringer, John Sr. 2 38
Stringer, Wm. 2 38
Sheils, James 3 60
Sheils, Charles 3 60
Sutcliff, John 4 18
Shea, John 5 21
Stevenson, Joshua 5 22
Stevenson, Wm. 5 22
Sullivan, Patrick 6 27
Shaw, Robert 7 9
Shaw, Wm. 7 8
Sutherland, John 10 5
Steele, Michael 10 16
Seabrook, John 11 1
Squire, David 12 8
Smith, Donald 11 4
Thompson, Henry 7 6
Taylor, Hugh 6 6
Taylor, Wm. 6 5
Taylor, John 8 6
Thompson, L. 2 29
Telfer, John 2 17
Thorp, Charles 1 2
Tompsett, Wm. 1 9
Vennard, John 4 26
Vennard, Robert Sr. 4 26
Wilson, Mrs. 1 17
Williams, Alfred 12 14
Williams, Charles 1 19
Williams, Robert 2 51
Wark, John 3 61
Wark, Thomas 2 64
Wark, Wm. 2 64
Walker, Francis 4 1
Walker, John 5 1
Walker, Alex 5 2
Walker, Alex Jr. 5 2
Walker, Andrew 5 3
Walter, John 12 2
Waiter, John Jr. 12 1
Wray, James 4 3
White, Robert 4 25
White, James 5 24
White, George 5 25
Winter, W. J. 6 4
Wallace, James 10 17
Williamson, David 9 3
Williamson, James 9 2
Williamson, James Jr. 9 3
Young, M.A. 10 4
Young, Thomas 11 5
Young, David 11 5
Young, James 11 5
Young, Wm. 11 6
A Post Village in the Township Egremont, 6 m. from Mount Forest.
Mr. M. D. McKenzie is the Postmaster, and likewise keeps a General Store.
There is a Blacksmith's Shop and a Sawmill at Holstein; the latter
the property of Mr. John Shells. Mails are supplied from Mount Forest.
A village in the Township of Melancthon, between the first and
second Concessions, in what is known as the "Old Survey" of the
Township. Horning's Mills P. O., is 12 m. South of Singhampton;
but although the road runs direct South from Singhampton,
Horning's Mills is not situated on the County line, like the
village just named. In Melancthon, the County line of Grey
projects, as it were, one Concession into Simcoe. This village
is 6 m; N. of the end of the "Toronto and Sydenham" gravel road,
and about 22 m. N. of Orangeville. The place is very scattered;
a few houses being in the vicinity of the mills, and nearly a mile
South, a few more near the Hotel; with the Postoffice and Mr. Jarvis'
Store midway between.
The South end of the place is sometimes called "Masonville," having
been laid out as a village under that name a few years ago by the
late John Mason, Hotel Keeper. Population of Horning's Mills
about 100. Within the bounds of the village are 3 Stores, a School,
a Gristmill, a Fulling Mill, a Sawmill, a Postffice, 2 Blacksmiths
Shops, a Waggon Shop, a Tavern, 3 Shoemakers, a Tailor, &C
The Grist Mill is the property of W. Airth, Esq. It has two run
of stones. It is the oldest Mill in the County, having been built 30
years ago by the late Mr. Horning. The Carding and Fulling Mill
belongs to Mrs. Johnson, and is leased by Mr. E. Creech. These,
as also Mr. John McGhee's Sawmill, are situated on the headwaters
of the Pine River, a tributary of the Nottawasaga River. The fall
on Mr. Airth's property is as much as 200 feet, affording
almost unlimited waterpower. Being fed from springs, none of which are
more than two miles distant, it shows little or no variation in the
volume of its water at any time of the year-neither affected by floods.
Adjoining the School House, is a pretty little Cemetery, the
property of the public, containing over an acre. There is an Episcopal
Methodist Chapel, and a Wesleyan Chapel (the latter not quite
finished) near enough to be considered in the village. The Wesleyan
and New Connexion Methodists, and the Canada Presbyterians worship
at present in the Schoolhouse. The School Section possesses
a Common School Library.
A melancholy tale hangs round the early settlement of this place.
Thirty years ago, four children, one a son of Mr. Hornings and three
other children named Van Meer, wandered into the woods, perhaps
in search of the cows, and were never more heard of! It was supposed,
it does not seem to be known on what grounds, that they were
carried off by Indians. The mystery was never cleared up. No
traces were discovered, nor were any remains of the little unfortunates
ever found. It is easy to refer to, but impossible to describe
the desolation of the parents, the sickness of "hope deferred", the
catching at every atom of probability on which a hope might hang,
only to be again disappointed; and at last the utter darkness and the
blank despair. Twenty years after, a young Indian looking man appeared
in the settlement, and gave on that he was Mr. Horning's son,
but his contradictory accounts of himself gained no credence, and he
was set down as an impostor.
AIRTH, WILLIAM General dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &C
Proprietor Grist Mill. Commissioner for taking affidavits, J. P.
Berry, Francis, General Weaver.
Creech, Edward, Lessee Carding and Fulling Mill.
Doan, Sylvester, Boot and Shoe Maker.
Ferris, William, Farmer.
Ferris, Edward, Boot and Shoe Maker.
Hudd, Stephen, Farmer.
Hewitt, Rev. W. J., Wesleyan Methodist.
Hiscocks, Rev. J., Episcopal Methodist.
JARVIS, PAUL General dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries
and Country Produce, and Postmaster.
JOHNSON, MRS., General dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &C
Proprietress Fulling and Carding Mill.
Leitch, George, Farmer.
LAWRENCE, SAMUEL, Waggon Maker and general Blacksmith.
Lytle, James, Blacksmith (at S. Lawrence's).
MEWS, THOMAS, Blacksmith.
Mason, Mrs., "Wheat Sheaf Hotel."
Munro, V. F., Teacher.
MARSHALL, GEORGE, Boot and Shoe maker.
McGHEE, JOHN, Proprietor Sawmill.
Polly, Richard, Farmer.
Reddick, George, Farmer.
SHEPPARD, GEORGE, Lessee Grist Mill.
Yokom, Elijah, Farmer.
A small stream that rises in the Eastern part of the Township
of Keppel, and after a short course through a part of that
township, and the Township of Sarawak, falls into Owen's Sound about
4 m. from the Town of that name. At present it drives no machinery
except a Sawmill at its mouth, in Sarawak. Its upper course is
generally sluggish; flowing through a series of flats and swamps
which it occasionally overflows in spring. Its lower course
is sometimes visited for trout fishing; but it is rather too small
a stream for good fishing. It is chiefly noticeable on account of
its Falls 1/2 mile from its mouth. Its mouth forms an excellent
For want of a better name, these Falls, and the small river
which forms them, have been called "Indian," because they
are found on lands until lately constituting an Indian Reserve. The
Ojibways sometimes call the stream "Drumming River," from the
resemblance of the noise of the Falls to the "drumming" of a
partridge, as frequently heard in the woods. These beautiful Falls are,
we are most happy to say, yet in a complete state of nature. No
work of man is visible from the chasm below, or from the brink, except
on the latter the carving of "many a long forgotten name" on a beech rooted
in the rock. The descent is sheer. The height of the Falls, as we
once found by actual measurement, is 41 ft.; and behind the curtain
of falling waters it has becone customary for all visitors to pass.
It is a favourite resort for summer picnic parties from Owen Sound,
who proceed to the mouth of the river in boats.
Sometimes also called "Sydenham Falls." They are three miles
south of Owen Sound, on the Sydenham River. The river here
plunges over rocks from a height of 70 ft. above the bed of the stream
below. The fall is broken and irregular: When the water is very
low, the rocks show their black, mossy faces, and the waters dart
hither and thither in jets and Streams; but, when the river is full,
it is a rude tumbling cascade, descending in a sheet of foam to the bottom.
Nothing can be more picturesque than these Falls, as seen from below, and
the rapids and rocks round which, the visitor has to pick his way to
reach the bottom of the cascade. The people of the town and neighbourhood
are justly proud of them. Lord Elgin, when Governor General, paid a
visit to these Falls in the autumn of 1851, when in Owen Sound. The
road from Owen Sound, for a quarter of a mile before reaching the Falls,
is beyond all cavil the prettiest and most romantic bit of road in the County.
Situated just above the Falls of the Sydenham River, 3 miles
from Owen Sound, and in the Township of Derby. In 1842, when
the embryo town of Owen Sound was scarce discernable to the
eye, and Derby as yet an unsurveyed wilderness, Mr. Elliott, a
Millwright, from Goderich, came in Mr. W. C. Boyd's schooner; the "Fly,"
and commenced putting up Mills at the Falls of the Sydenham. Either
in '42 or '43, before they were quite finished, he sold it to Mr. Boyd,
who, in 1845, sold them to Peter Inglis, Esq., the present proprietor.
The Mills consist of a Grist Mill (with two run of stones) and a
Sawmill. The original Grist Mill was superseded in 1862 by a
newer structure; handsomely built, 2 1/2 stories high, adjoining
the old site. The residence of the proprietor stands on an elevation
near the Mills, and commands a most extensive prospect Northward. The
Indian shore, as far as Cape Commodore (20 m. distant), is distinctly
visible, with the blue waters of the Lake East and North, and
the Town of Owen Sound, and the intervening valley, lying, as it were,
almost at the spectators feet. Little over a quarter of a
mile above is Mr. Herriman's Sawmill, and at the turn of the
road, between the two, is W. McMeekin's Inn.
Dickson, Thomas, Miller.
INGLIS, PETER, Proprietor Grist and Sawmills; Clerk of the
County Court, and Registrar of Surrogate Court.
McMEEKIN, WILLIAM, Innkeeper.
Reilly, John, Sawyer.
A village on the Garafraxa Road, between the Townships of Sullivan
and Holland, 9 m. South of Owen Sound. Described under the name of
"Chatsworth" (which see).
JOHNSON P. O.
A country Post Office in the Township of Sydenham, on the
"Lake Shore Line," 12 m. from Owen Sound; one or two
miles from the shore of the "Sound." There is a fine
improving country around it. Mails to and from Owen Sound on
Tuesdays and Saturdays. There is a frame Church at Johnson,
belonging to the Presbyterian Church of Canada (Kirk).
Rev. Alex. Hunter, B. A., of Leith, preaches every Sabbath.
Also a frame Schoolhouse. Mr. Simon Graham, Teacher. The P. O.
derives its name from the name of the Postmaster, although the P. O.
Department have taken some liberties with the spelling.
JOHNSTON, WILLIAM, Postmaster.
JOHNSTON, ROBERT, Farmer.
The Northernmost Township of the County of Grey. Bounded North by
Colpoy's Bay, East by the waters of Owen's Sound, South by
Derby, and West by Amabel. Keppel, and the other Townships
forming the Saugeen Peninsula, were surrendered to the Government by
the Ojibway Indians residing at Newash and Saugeen, in the early part
of 1855; a grand Council of the Tribes assembling to consummate the
treaty with Lord Bury, then the head of the Indian Department. Keppel
was surveyed the same year by Charles Rankin, Esq., of Owen Sound,
and an efficient staff of assistants. It was sold by auction at
Owen Sound, in the autumn of 1856; an upset price having been put on
each lot by the Surveyors. For two or three years thereafter, Keppel,
along with Sarawak, was attached for Municipal purposes to Derby, and
is still attached to Sarawak.
The soil in Keppel is unequal. Some tracts are of very excellent
quality, and moderately free from stones; other portions are stony
and contain rocky streaks, and occasionally rock ridges of
several feet perpendicular height. There are a number of
small lakes in the township, most of which are surrounded by
cliffs of limestone of no great elevation.
A diagonal line of road was surveyed through the township, from
the vicinity of Owen Sound Northwesterly. Of the three roads
shown on the survey, the Southernmost is the one improved best
and most travelled. The "South Diagonal" as it is called, in
conjunction with the County Line; lately opened up and improved,
makes a land communication between Owen Sound and the settlements
at the head of Colpoy's Bay; the only communication until the
last two years having been wholly or partially by water.
The only village in the Township is North Keppel, on a bight
of the shore opposite Griffith's Island.
The Census Returns of 1861 give us extremely little information
respecting this Township of any practical value now, as it
was then only beginning to be extensively settled and improved
The population of Keppel, Sarawak, and the town plot of
Brooke is set down as being at that date 592. The Assessment Roll
for 1864 contains about 280 names of residents, representing a population
of 1,400 which would be about the number for the united
Municipality in the summer of 1864; but there has been a
considerable and steady influx of new settlers during the year,
and the Roll of 1865 when completed, will show a large
exeess over that of 1864.
Magistrates-There are three Magistrates in the United Municipality, viz.
William McNaught, Lockhart Ormiston and George Lee, Esqrs. Of these,
Mr. Lee is the only resident in Keppel; the others are in Sarawak.
Municipal Officers (for United Townships).
Reeve Alexander Bell (Sarawak P. O.);
Councillors, George Webb, James Cruikshank, William Ritchie,
and Arch. Campbell.
Clerk Abraham S. Vandusen (Owen Sound P. O.);
Treasurer, James Vandusen (Owen Sound P. O.).
Schools-There are five Common Schools within the United Municipality, viz.
Section No. 1 (Village of Brooke), George Barrit, Teacher. House frame.
Average attendance for 1864, 20.
Section No.2. George Meir, Teacher (first half of 1864).
Ave. attendance for ditto, 8. House, log.
Section No.3. Jane A. Sellon. Teacher. House, log. Average attendance
for first half of 1864, 15.
Section No. 4 Mary Gerolamy, Teacher. House, log. Average attendance
for 1864, 8.
Section No. 5. Sarah A. Doyle, Teacher. House, frame.
Average attendance for 1864, 13 (North Keppel School).
NOTE. In the following list, "N. C. D." is North of Centre Diagonal Road;
"S. C. D." means South of that road; "C. R." denotes "Colpoy Range,"
lying on Colpoy's Bay; "G. R." denotes "Georgian Range," a tier of lots
from the North Line of Sarawak, on the shore of Owen's Sound;
"J. R." is Jones' Range, on the former Indian Reserve, near the head of
Atkinson, Edward 2 N.C.D. 36
Ager, Gordon 18 35
Atkey, James 25 12
Arnold, Richard 26 24
Atkey, James, Jr. 25 12
Atkey, George 23 11
Atkey Henry 23 11
Abel, John 18 26
Boyd, Wm. D. C.R. 40
Boyd, Matthew 2 S.C.D. 26
Boyd, Wm. 8 5
Barramack, Joseph 9 2
Brown, Arch. 1 S.C.D. 30
Brown, Malcolm 1 S.C.D. 31
Butchart, Andrew 2 S.C.D. 15
Butchart, George 9 S.C.D. 11
Barrows, Rich'd 1 N.O.D. 10
Black, Robert G.R. 7
Black, Adam G.R. 7
Baylis, Wm. 17 33
Bell, Alex 20 42
Brown, John 24 26
Brown, Wm. 19 1
Brown, James 20 1
Clemens, Albert A. 14
Cheer, Amos 3 10
Cheer, John 3 9
Cruickshank, Jas. 2 S.C.D. 9
Carr, John A. 23
Crampton, John G.R. 23
Campbell, Arch. 18 40
Campbell, John 18 30
Campbell, Wm. 18 37
Crampton, Charles 21 39
Clark, John 24 33
Chatwin, Edwin C.R. 38
Chatwin, Alfred C.R. 37
Cornish, John C. R 32
Cornish, Richard C. R. 31
Cameron, Roderick C. R. 28
Cartmell, Jas. B J. R. 8
Connelly, Patrick 21 8
Corkwell, Thomas 18 27
Davidson, Samuel 3 16
Davidson, Joseph 3 16
Dunn, William 15 9
Duncan, Robert 2 S.C.D. 10
Duncan, Arch. 2 S.C.D. 10
Dunbar, Robert 1 N.C.D. 1
Dwar, Wm. 16 34
Dawson, Wm. 19 41
Dodds, Joseph 25 40
Dodds, Francis 24 40
Dewar, David C. R. 38
Dodds, Robert 7 7
Edmonstone, S. W. 21 31
Ferguson; Wm. B. 6
Freeman, Thomas 19 28
Flaherty, Wm. J.R. 5
Farrow, Frederick 19 2
Gerolamy, John B. 3
Grady, Thomas G. R. 20
Goldhawk, H. G. R. 16
Garvin, Alex G. R. 9
Garvin, James G. R. 9
Garvin, Hugh G. R. 9
Graham, George 24 37
Graham, Alex 23 36
Graham, Wm. 26 34
Gardner, Wm.G. 21 3
Hambley, Wm. 1 N.C.D. 30
Hay, Robert 22 45
Hutchinson, Singleton 17 32
Halliday, Wm. 24 35
Horn, John C.R. 38
Harvey, Wm. C.R. 38
Hutchin, Alex. C.R. 33
Hutchin, James C. R. 33
Hart, Francis 20 5
Johnston, James A. 15
Johnson, C. M. J.R.P.
Johnson, John R. J.R.S.
Kennedy, Allan A. 3
Kennedy, Duncan A. 2
Kennedy, Donald A. 2
Kennedy, Dugald A. 3
Kelso, Alex 2 S.C.D. 23
Lochead, Robert A. 8
Little, James 5 7
Lennox, John 2 S.C.D. 12
Leslie, James 3 4
Lee, George G.R. 19
Laing, Wm. 26 33
Limburner, Horace C. R. 38
Lewis, Wm. 21 34
Mills, Francis B. 13
Munro, Henry B. 1
Mitchell, David A. 5
Miller, Robert 4 2
Moore, Wm. 8 6
Moore, James 7 6
Moore, Thomas 7 6
Moore, Samuel 7 5
Murray, William (Mason) 2 S.C.D. 11
Mouck, Michael G R. 21
Marshall, Henry G. R. 10
Muir, Andrew 18 34
Madill, Samuel 19 29
Miller, John 20 28
Miller, Henry C. 20 29
Matthews, James 21 6
McAuley, John J. B. 1
McCrae, Finlay D. 20 36
McCulloch, James 16 7
McDonald, ??? B 11
McDonald, Andrew 1 S.C.D. 1
McGuire, John 19 39
McHardie, John 21 44
McHardie, James G.R. 8
McKenzie, Duncan B 10
McKenzie, George 19 43
McKenzie, Wm. 24 38
McKenzie, Hugh 25 36
McKenzie, James 26 35
McMillan, Wm. 22 44
McNaught, John 24 13
[I have been advised this likely should be George McNaught. Bill Martin]
North, Alfred R. J.R. 2
Ormiston, Thos. 21 42
Pringle, George 6 5
Pringle, John 5 4
Perkins, John 16 9
Perkins, George 1 N.C.D. 11
Perkins, Elias 1 N.C.D. 11
Payette, Lewis G.R. 13
Payette, David G.R. 14
Pease, Thomas 23 37
Picken, Rob. (Merchant) C.R. 38
Robertson, Daniel 4 12
Battan, Joseph 4 7
Ritchie, Wm. B. 9
Ritchie, John B. 7
Ritchie, Peter B. 7
Ritchie, D. S. F. (Teacher) B. 1
Ryder, Rob. (Blacksmith) 3 5
Sugden, Jonas 6 2
Spencer, Wm. J. 6 3
Spencer, Edwin H. 5 1
Smith, Wm. B. 7 3
Smith, Janet 5 25
Smith, James 19 40
Smith, James B. (Millwright) C. R. 38
Smith, Jas. W. C. R. 37
Smith, John C. J. R. 4
Swain, Edward 15 2
Stewart, Ebenezer G. R. 15
Stewart, Rob. (Carpenter) 19. 18
Shaw, Gawin, Sr. 17 35
Shaw, Gawin, Jr. 17 35
Shaw, Benj. 17 36
Shanks, John 21 40
Shean, James 19 3
Sheridan, James 23 6
Smail, John 24 28
Snelgrove, Thomas 25 37
Scales, Richard C.R. 31
Scales, Thomas C.R. 31
Scales, Wm. C.R. 28
Skinner, John 26 32
Skinner, George C.R. 32
Scott, James R. J.R. 10
Scott, John W. J.R. 8
Simms, James 22 8
Simms, Wm. H. J.R. 6
Soper, Levi J.R. 3
Taylor, Alex A. 4
Taylor, James 1 S.C .D. 16
Taylor, Henry G.R. 15
Taylor, Peter (Mason) 21 38
Taylor, George 21 37
Troup, Joseph 23 28
Thistle, John 25 37
Wilson, Henry A. 7
Wilson, Mrs. 3 4
Walker, Henry 7 4
Walker, J.R. C.R. 38
Wallace, Thomas 2 S.C.D. 31
Wallace, Anthony 1 S.C.D. 10
Ward, Alfred 24 30
Ward, Wm. 24 30
Westaway, Wm. 22 43
Winters, Wm. 23 30
Wyburn, Wm. 23 30
Yeo, Thomas 14 10
A Post village in the centre of the Township of Derby, 7 1/2 m.
from Owen Sound, 8 m. from Tara, and 23 m. from Southampton.
It is on the Owen Sound and Saugeen stage road (see "Centre Road,
Derby"), not on the the Gravel Road which runs through the Township
near its Northern limit. It contains a Postoffice, a Pottery,
a Disciples' Meeting House, 2 stores, a tavern ("Sloan's Hotel"),
a Blacksmith shop, &c. The Earthenware manufacture of
Walmsley and McCluskie has attained considerable proportions,
the Pottery having now been in successful operation for several
years; and many articles of the more ornamental kinds, as well as
those in common use, are now produced at the works. There are daily
mails, to and from Owetn Sound, Tara, Invermay, Southampton, &c.
FLEMING, WILLIAM, General Merchant.
Finch, Abraham, Tailor and Farmer.
McCluskie, James (of Walmsley & McCluskie), Potter.
SLOAN, THOMAS, General Merchant and Postmaster.
Smith, George, Innkeeper, "Sloan's Hotel."
Stedman, William, Blacksmith.
Walker, Archibald, Teacher.
WALMSLEY & McCLUSKIE, Manufacturers of Earthen and Stone Ware.
Walmsley, William (of Walmsley & McCluskey), Potter.
The old name of Georgian Bay, meaning the "Lake of the Great Spirit."
(See "Georgian Bay.")
A Post Office on the Garafraxa (Gravel) Road, in the Township
of Glenelg, and which was formerly called "Glenelg" P. O. The
name was changed in 1864 by the P. O. authorities. The office was
established in 1853. It is distant 7 m. from Durham, and 21 m. from
Owen Sound. Mails daily, North and South. Mails are exchanged every
Wednesday and Saturday with Crawford P. O., in Bentinck, and Scone P. O.
in Elderslie; and, on Saturday only, with Glascott P. O. in Glenelg.
APPLEBY, MARK Postmaster.
Cain, George, Farmer.
Cain, James, Farmer.
Jeseman, John, Farmer.
McFarlane, John, Farmer.
McFarlane, Duncan, Farmer.
McFarlane, John, Jr., Farmer.
Riddell, James, Farmer.
LEAVENS P. O.
In the Township of St. Vincent, on Owen Sound and Collingwood Gravel Road.
It is 4 1/2 m. from Meaford, and 14 1/2 from Owen Sound. In summer,
when Mails between Owen Sound and Meaford are carried by steamboat,
Leavens is supplied by a triweekly land mail. In winter, the Mails
are daily, in each direction.
Arthur, John, Broom maker.
Blanchard, A. C. Boot and Shoe Maker.
CUNNINGHAM, STEPHEN, Postmaster.
Groom, T. B., Boot and Shoe Maker.
LEAVENS, R. B., Farmer.
Richmond, Cyrus, Farmer.
A village in the township of Sydenham, on the Eastern shore of
Owen's Sound, 7 m. (by the road) from Owen Sound Town. John Telfer, Esq.,
the Government Agent in the settlement of Owen Sound town-plot and vicinity)
removed to Leith (so named by him) about 19 years ago, took up a lot or
two of wild land, built a Grist mill, and laid out a village. A very
pretty little trout and mill stream, named the "Water of Leith,"
gives power to the mill, and empties into the Sound at the village. Its
mouth forms a convenient boat harbour, but is not valuable for navigation,
properly so called. Adam Ainslie, Esq., the present proprietor of the mills,
&c., ran out a wharf (finished in 1861), which showed 8 1/2/ ft. water at
its end at the time, but, from the recent fall of water in the Upper
Lakes, is less now. Mr. Telfer's interest in the place was bought out
by Mr. James Wilson (formerly of Galt, now of Owen Sound), who
erected a Distillery, not now in operation. Mr. Ainslie succeeded
Mr. Wilson in the ownership of Leith. The Grist mill has been
enlarged since its first erection. It has two run of stones. A little
further down the the shore, on a different stream, is an Oatmeal Mill,
the property of James Ross, Esq. Messrs. Ross & Sons have also in course
of erection a Tannery, in the vicinity of the Oatmeal Mill. There are
several Mechanics in the Village, Blacksmith, Tailor, Shoe maker, &C.
The present population is 110. Mails to and from Owen Sound on Tuesdays
There is a neat frame School House, well furnished with maps, &c.
Henry Moore, Teacher. The average attendance of scholars for
1864, was 30. Religious services are held in the School
House every Sabbath, in connection with the Scottish Kirk;
Rev. Alex. Hunter, B. A. (who resides in the village), is the
Minister. A Subscription Library is sustained by the inhabitants
of the villaget; M.A. Ross, Secretary and Librarian. Fees, 50 cts.,
entrance, and 25 cts., a year. A lodge of Good Templars (British American),
holds its meetings every Monday evening. An Hotel, very pleasantly
situated, is kept by Mr. Moulton.
AINSLIE, ADAM, Proprietor Leith Mills.
Alexander, Richard, Labourer.
Burr, Peter, Blacksmith.
Brown, Thomas, Carpenter.
Cameron, Peter, Carpenter.
Cameron, George, Carpenter.
Cameron, Arthur B., Carpenter.
Clark, James, Carpenter.
Duffy, Michael, Labourer.
Lenfestey, John, Miller, Leith Mills.
LEMON, CHARLES, Boot and Shoe Maker.
Moore Henry, Teacher, bds. A. Ainslie's.
Moulton, Royal, Innkeeper, Leith Hotel.
Marshall, Anthony, Labourer.
McNeil, Neil, Labourer.
McNeil, Malcolm, Labourer.
McKeen, Wm. Farmer.
North, Daniel, Labourer.
Rickson, Henry bds. A. Ainslie's.
ROSS, JAMES, Postmaster.
ROSS, JOHN, Assistant Postmaster.
Ross, James, Jr.
One mile from Leith, on the Sydenham "Lake Shore Road," at
the turning off toward Leith. It is 6 m. from Owen Sound, and
in the midst of a fine and improving setttlement. At the
Corners are found a store, a tavern, a school house, Waggon Shop,
Blacksmith Shop, &c. Leith is the Post-town. A frame Church,
belonging to the Canada Presbyterians is in the immediate vicintity.
Rev. R. Dewar, Minister. The School House is frame, supplied with
maps and Globe; and the scholars during 1864, averaged in attendance
48. The children of school age in the Section number 104.
Armstrong, Charles, Farmer.
Biggar, Andrew, Farmer.
Clark, Robert (of Davidson & Clark).
Campbell, Roland, Waggon maker, at J. P. Telford's.
DAVIDSON & CLARK, Carpenters and waggon makers.
Davidson, James (of Davidson & Clark).
Dewar, Rev. Robert, Canada Presbyterian.
Hudson, John, Farmer.
Nisbet, George. Farmer.
SPEEDIE, WM., General Merchant, one door from Vanwyck's Hotel.
TELFORD, JAMES, Blacksmith.
Telford, William P., Teacher.
VANWYCK'S HOTEL, Leith Corners, Lake Shore Road.
VANWYCK, ROBERT, Proprietor, Vanwyck's Hotel.
In order to begin aright, it is necessary to premise that the Maitland
River (named after Sir Peregrine Maitland, Governor of Upper Canada;
and falling into L. Huron at Goderich), does not in any
part of its course touch the County of Grey, nor derive a drop
of its waters therefrom; and the only reason for introducing its
name in this work arises from the following circumstances. In
1837, Charles Rankin, Esq., P.L.S., received orders from
the Crown Land Department of Upper Canada, to proceed to
lay out a line of road between the head of Owen's Sound, and
the settlements of the Wellington District. Before this date,
Lewis Burwell, Esq., P.L.S., of Brantford, had been sent up to near
the headwaters of the Grand River, to lay out some new townships.
When Mr. Burwell came to the township of Luther, he merely ran lines
around it, and reported, it "all swamp." Though time has proved
Burwells report to have considerable foundation in fact, it
seems the Government of that day had serious doubts about its
correctness. Mr. Rankin, however, was allowed to go about the
present business in his own way; and being certain of the
reliability of his friend Burwell's report, after commencing
at Garafraxa township near the village (or rather then the
settlement of) Fergus, he bore off N. W. through what is now
the township of Arthur; intending to turn north when he was sure
of being round the great Swamp. When he struck the
"Maitland," at what is now Mount Forest, he judged from the high
banks and swift water that there could be no great swamp in the
immediate neighbourhood. Newash, the Ojibway Chief of Owen's Sound
told him it was "a Saugeen." Having always found Newash's topography
marvellously correct, he never had a doubt about it; and "Saugeen" it was
in his report. For the next three years, nothing was done. Emigration
and settlements were at a standstill. The County was slowly recovering
from the effects of the Rebellion of 1837.
In 1841, the Government, not liking on the map the appearance of
Mr. Rankins line, sent John McDonald, Esq., of Goderich, a Surveyor
who had been in the employ of the "Canada Company," to run out a new
and straight line-one that would serve as a Town line between the new
townships to be laid out. Mr. McDonald's survey extended from the
"Maitland" to the South limit of Sydenham Township. Coming from Goderich,
and finding a swift stream running directly toward it (though it soon
turns N. W.), his first thought would naturally be that it was the
Maitland River; though he might have judged that a stream as large as
the Saugeen at Mount Forest would make a larger river than the Maitland
by the time it reached the Lake at Goderich. Whether he consulted
the Indians on the subject, or consulting them paid no attention to
their statements, the fact remains that he dubbed the Southern Fork of
the Saugeen with the name "Maitland," and that it was many years before
the blunder began to be popularly corrected. All persons who had
occasion to travel the "Garafraxa Road," 10 or 15 years
ago, knew about the "Maitland hills" and the "Maitland woods"
the latter a mile long, through the then nameless townplot of
Mount Forest. When, some years after McDonald's survey was made,
some persons followed down the stream, searching for land, till it
joined the Saugeen (near where Hanover now stands), and followed up
the main stream of the Saugeen to Durham, and reported at the latter
place that the "Maitland" was "a Saugeen" people would believe them.
And at the present day there will he people found reading these pages
who will dispute the fact of the "Maitland" being no Maitland.
The large Provincial Maps of Tremaine and Tackabury have this
river correctly laid down, but the smaller Maps of Ensign,
Bridgman & Fanning, New York, both in the editions of 1855
and of 1861, have it down according to the erroneous tracings
of McDonald; and so widely has the error taken a root, that in
the map of Upper Canada, given in Chewett & Cos. "Canadian Almanac"
for 1865, the river goes from the South corners of Egremont and
Normanby, where Mount Forest ought to be, galloping away towards
Goderich!-the old error again, repeated.
An affluent of the Nottawasaga river, rising by various streams in
Osprey and Melancthon, and falling into the Nottawasaga near Angus.
As Osprey and Melancthon occupy some of the highest tableland in
the settled portions of Upper Canada, these streams on their entrance
into Nottawasaga Township, descends very rapidly, and might
be utilized to a very large extent for manufacturing purposes.
The main stream of the Mad River, then not far from its
source, passes through the rising village of Singhampton at the
County line of Simcoe.
A well known country Corners, in the Township of Sydenham, at
the foot of the "Lake Shore" Road, and on the Gravel Road
between Owen Sound and Meaford, 3 m. from the former
place. There is an excellent brick School House at the Corners,
which, with a with a well conducted Hotel by Mr. Wilkinson, and
the farmhouse (formerly the tavern) of Mr. R. Manders, constitutes
the hamlet. The School House was built three years ago at an expense of
$1,000. Average attendance of scholars in 1864, 30. There is as yet
no Postoffice nearer than Owen Sound. The Sydenham Township
Agricultural Society always hold their Annual exhibition, and the
Township Council generally meet, at Manders' Corners.
MANDERS, RICHARD, Farmer.
McKay, Hugh, Teacher, bds. at R. Manders.
WILKINSON, WILLIAM, Proprietor "St. Vincent Hotel."
A Postoffice on the 9th Concession of the Township of Sullivan,
11 m. S. W. of Chatsworth. Distant about 20 m. from Owen Sound.
Mails every Saturday to and from Chatsworth. Stephen B. Conger
Postmaster. About 1/2 mile distant, on the headwaters of the
Aux Sable, is a Sawmill, the property of Mr. J. A. Conger.
A Post village in the Northern part of the Township of Holland;
5 m. from Chatsworth, 5 m. from Walter's Falls, and 14 m. to
Owen Sound. The neighbourhood began to be settled about 1853,
and is rapidly improving. The place contains a Postoffice,
Grist mill, Sawmill, blacksmith shop, Horseshoe Nail Factory,
and a School House. The sawmill was erected in 1859;
the Grist Mill in 1863. Both are the property of Alex. Massie, Esq.
The Grist Mill is one of the best little Mills in the County.
Shafting throughout. One run of stones. The Mills are on the
Big Head River. There is another water privilege, a quarter of
a mile below, unemployed. Regular services are held every
Sabbath in the School house by the Wesleyan and N. C.
Methodist denominations, and occasionally by other
denominations. There is an air of thrift and enterprise about
the place, which promises well for its future growth and prosperity.
Ceasor, John, Blacksmith.
Coleman, Robert, Farmer.
HOWEY, WILLIAM, Farmer, Commissioner in Queens Bench.
Henderson, George, Teacher.
Lang, Andrew, Farmer.
MASSIE, ALEXANDER, Proprietor Grist and Sawmills, and Postmaster.
Matheson, Duncan, Carpenter.
Matheson, Adam, Carpenter.
Milligan, Joshua, Farmer.
Partridge, Joseph, Manufacturer of Horseshoe Nails.
Winter, William. J., Farmer.
A new and rising village in the township of Osprey, on the
Durham and Collingwood Gravel Road. Population about 60. It
is 9 m. from the Toronto and Sydenham Road at Flesherton, and 20 m.
distant from Collingwood Harbour. The place contains a Post
office, a store, two churches, school-house, tavern,
Blacksmiths, Shoemaker, Carpenters, Spinning wheel maker,
Cabinetmaker, &C. There is a large traffic across the country
continually setting toward the Railway at Collingwood, and its
influence is tending to build up Maxwell and other places on
the route of the Gravel Road. As an example of the amount of
trade which may be done even in a small place by enterprise and
capital, it nay be mentioned that the firm of Sutherland &
Bowes, Merchants, took in, in the winter of 1863-4, 32,000
bushels of Grain, and 50,000 lbs. of Pork, and teamed the whole
to Collingwood. Mr. Maxwell has erected and removed into a new
and commodious Hotel during the past few months.
The two chapels belong to the Wesleyan Methodists and the
Canada Presbyterians, respectively. They are new and scarcely
yet finished. Rev. James Greenfield, of Stayer (Presbyterian),
preaches every four weeks. Rev. D. E. Brownell, of Feversham (Wesleyan)
every two weeks; and Rev. I. Ryder (Primitive Methodist), every four weeks.
Bowes, George S. (of Sutherland and Bowes.)
Field, Henry, Boot and Shoemaker.
GAMEY, THOMAS, Farmer, commissioner in Queen's Bench; J.P. (2 miles West.)
GUY, WILLIAM, Horse-shoer and General Blacksmith.
Heron, Thomas, Carpenter.
Heron, Robert, Carpenter and Builder.
Heron, Duncan, Farmer, Lessee Feversham Sawmill.
Heron, Richard, Farmer.
Long, Hosea, Farmer.
Long, Wesley, Carpenter.
MAXWELL, JOSEPH, Proprietor Maxwell Hotel, and Postmaster.
Sproule, James, Farmer.
Sageon, Joseph, Farmer.
SUTHERLAND & BOWES, General Dealers in Country Produce,
Dry Goods, Groceries, Boots and Shoes, &C.
Sutherland, James A. (of Sutherland & Bowes.)
Shields, Andrew, Cabinet maker.
SCOTT, ROBERT, Blacksmith. ( 3/4 m. East).
When the Township of St. Vincent was surveyed, which was as
long ago as 1833, the town-plot of Meaford was left in a
block of no great extent. In 1845, when the township was pretty
well filled up, the late W. R. Gibbard, Esq. P.L.S, was
instructed to lay out the village. We believe we are correct
in stating that the name was bestowed by Mr. Gibbard. As the
former name of the township had been changed some years before
to St. Vincent, in honour of the naval hero, Admiral Jervis,
Earl St. Vincent, it seemed a happy thought to call the
principal village in the Township by the name of his country seat.
In the same manner, Mr. Gibbard named the streets, Nelson, Collingwood,
Sykes, Bayfield, &c.,- all names of naval heroes. The place did not
spring at once into importance; for, three years after its survey,
it yet contained but four houses.
The first Postmaster was the late Wm. Stephenson, and the
Postoffice then as now was called "St. Vincent P. O." It is told
that Mr. Stephenson made many a journey to Barrie on foot, to
take and bring his mails. The first storekeepers in the place
were Moses Chantler, Jesse T. Purdy, George Jackson (of Durham, M.P.P.),
and D. L. Layton. Mr. Layton is the only one of these now in the business,
and is the present Postmaster. Mr. Purdy laid out village lots South of the
Government survey, and Mr. Stephenson North of it; and, as each
made efforts to induce purchasers and settlers, the place
assumed for a time the appearance of three embryo villages.
The Owen Sound and Collingwood Gravel Road, running somewhat
from North to South through the village, and called at
different points Sykes Street, Seymour Street, and Edwin Street,
respectively,- appears to have brought the place together.
Business is centering on the Gravel Road and on Nelson street,
leading from it toward the Wharf.
Meaford lies very prettily. The lake view in front is at
all times exhilerating; he site of the town is dry, although
not elevated, a beautiful country lies around, sloping toward
the town; many handsome cottages adorn the streets at different
points, and the public buildings and places of business are very
creditable to the taste and enterprise of the inhabitants. There
are a number, of Stores and Manufactories. We will endeavour to
give a cursory glance at most of these as well as the Churches, &C,
and then pass on to the Alphabetical List of inhabitants. If we imagine
ourselves arriving by Steamer Clifton from Collingwood, our attention
would probably be first directed to the wharf at which Capt. Smith
sets us down. It is of considerable length, and very substantially built.
It was built seven or eight years ago by the Township Corporation of
St.Vineent, aided by a grant from Government, and cost about four thousand
pounds. At the shore end of the wharf stands the storehouse, likewise
Township property, both being leased at present to Mr. L. S. Menere.
As we emerge from the enclosed yard of the Storehouse, we are on
Bayfield Street-rather open and unenclosed as yet. On an opposite
corner, at our right is the Wheat Storehouse of Mr N. Burley. Further
on, and facing the shore, is "Georgian Inn", once Mr. Stephenson's
property. J. R. Mitchell & Co's Steam Planing Mill, and Sash and Door
Factory stands on the water's edge; and a little further on is
Mr. D. Sinclair's Foundry. The latter is not yet a very extensive
business, but yearly growing larger. Immediately in front of us is
D. L. Layton's General Store, and Post office, and in the next building
is Messrs. J. & W. Stewart's Store. A few steps further away from
the lake bring us to the foot of Nelson Street, with a little hill
in it, (a few feet only) between us and the Gravel Road. Behind us
is the old bridge over the Big Head River, and near it the Steam Tannery
of C. Carney, Esq., employing a number of hands. On our way up
Collins Street, toward the Gravel Road, we pass near or in front of
the establishments of Jethro Shiphird, Tailor; John Monaghan, Boot
and Shoe Maker; Barnhart & Wagstaff, Druggists; George Brown, Jr.,
Groceries & Liquors; W. F. Livingston, Saddler; James Mack, Merchant;
Jordan & Farley, Saddlers; W. Stephens, Tinsmith; John Lindsay,
Merchant; G. A. Caswell, Boot and Shoe Maker; J. Paul's " Meaford Hotel;"
the Wesleyan Brick Church, 40 ft. by 60, erected in 1864, cost $2,400;
the Town Hall of the Township, also erected last year, brick,
cost-$2,400, 56 by 35 feet in size, with walls 28 feet in height.
Pausing at the corner of the Gravel Road, we see on the
corners opposite us, the brick store of W. D. Taylor, and
Messrs. Andrew's Store; and further North John Patton's Cabinet Shop;
James Cox's Black-smiths Shop, N. C. Methodist Church (unfinished),
Orange Hall (brick), &c. Turning to the left we pass successively
the offices of John Albery, T. Plunkett, and W. D. Pollard, the stores of
D. A. Chase, (General Merchant), Messrs. Cleland (Stoves and
Tin-ware), K. Hurd (General Merchant), W. Meikle (General Store),
C. Burns (Groceries, and Boots and Shoes), W. H. Foster (Druggist,
seedsman, &c.), Coulson's Hotel, &c.
A short distance West of the Gravel Road ("Sykes Street"),
stands the Congregational and Disciples' Chapels, the
former of brick, and the latter a very good specimen of the
Concrete wall, rough-cast. Some distance beyond the Congregational
Chapel is the Canada Presbyterian Church, a small brick octagon.
Passing South over the new bridge across the River, we see on
the edge of the stream, the Woollen Mills of J. T. Purdy, Esq.
James Williams, lessee. The works contain a complete set of
manufacturmg machines; and picking, carding, fulling, dyeing
and dressing are done-for customers who wish their own wool
manufactured. Further up the stream are the Grist Mills of
Mr. Purdy (3 run of stones), the Sawmill; and near by, the site
of Mr. M. Chantler's Grist Mill (burned, and the water-privilege
unemployed). Near the Mills are the Waggon and Blacksmith Shop of
Mr. Hamilton, and the Waggon and Carriage Shop of Messrs. W. McDonald
& Co. Below the Mills, on the river edge, is the new Pearlash Factory
of Mr. A. Lawson. Above the Grist-Mill is a spare water-power.
Once over the bridge, the Gravel Road takes the name of Seymour
street; and on it we find the establishments of Messrs.
Henderson & McIntosh (General Dealers and Merchant Tailors),
Drummond's Cabinet Warehouse; Pillgrem's General Store; Dr. Maclean's
office; Wilcox's Boot & Shoe shop; the Methodist Episcopal Church,
finished a year ago, cost $2,000, brick; Stubb's Hotel, &c. In
this portion of the village are also the Fanning Mill Factory of
Mr. C. Watt, turning out 150 Mills and a large number of
Straw-cutters, &c., annually; the Episcopal Church, a neat Gothic
wooden building; the Masonic Hall; Cain's Job Printing Office, &c.
Creek Mills.-A mile North of the centre of the village, on the
Lake shore, are "Creek Mills,"- so called by Mr. Fuller, the
original proprietor of the water-power. They consist of two
Sawmills, one above the other, on a creek emptying into the Lake
there. The upper mill is the property of Mr. James Spratford;
the lower, of Mr. Joseph Cox. Both have upright saws and lath saws,
and are run with vigour. A Grist-Mill is spoken of. There is spare
water power above the Sawmills. The population of this suburb
is 100. For convenience, it is treated as a portion of Meaford in
this work, as the town will soon grow down to it.
Magistrates.-Charles Carney, David L. Layton, Thomas Donovan, Thomas Harris,
William D. Taylor, Jesse T. Purdy, James Stewart, John Johnson.
Meaford has grown rapidly since the wharf was built, and
especially since the gravelling of the Owen Sound and Collingwood
Road. It is stated, on good authority, that from 60,000 to 80,000
bushels of wheat are bought and stored every winter. An excellent
Agricultural country surrounds it, its manufactures are increasing, and
there is every reason to anticipate it will become a large place.
Mail stages pass daily in both directions; and during the season of
navigation the steamer "Clifton" calls both going and returning,
between Owen Sound and Collingwood. It is distant 18 1/2 m. from
Owen Sound, 8 1/2 m. from Thornbury, and 22. m. from Collingwood.
The Postoffice is still officially known as "St. Vincent P. O.;"
and the name Meaford, somewhat- to the disadvantage of the
place, frequently fails to appear in connexion with the village. It
is to be regretted that advantage was not taken of a fire some
years ago, by which the Posffice was burned, and the official stamps,
&c., had all to be renewed, to have this needful change of name made.
The wharf stands at the W. side of the mouth of the river.
There are 10 to 12 ft. water at its end. Were the wharf
somewhat lengthened, and a breakwater extended at right angles
to it, or the river bar dredged so as to form an inner harbour
in the river itself, it would add greatly to the trade and
prosperity of the town.
The site of the town was originally covered with beautiful hardwood timber;
and on retired streets and vacant lots, and frequently in gardens and
around dwellings, beautiful specimens of "second-growth" maple, &c.,
are found, singly or in groves, giving a pleasant and attractive air
to its summer aspect; for, after all, beauty is often cheaply obtained.
North winds prevail to some extent in winter, and are sometimes very
cutting; but the inhabitants accept the occasional discomfort as the
price they pay for being on navigable water.
The population is estimated (March, 1865), at one thousand.
Andrews, Anthony, Mason, Parker Street.
ANDREWS, T. & J. N. General merchants, and Builders.
Gravel Road, directly opposite Town Hall.
Andrews, Thomas (of T. & J. N. Andrews), h. Parker street.
Andrews, John Nicholas (of T. & J. N. Andrews), h. Parker street.
ALBERY, JOHN, Insurance Agent, Township Clerk of St. Vincent,
Notary Public; Conveyancer, &c. Gravel Road, h. Lake Shore, North
Brunger, Stephen, Carpenter, Creek Mills.
Baily, Thomas, Mason, Creek Mills.
BIRD, HENRY, Cabinet maker, Gravel Road, North.
Ball, John, Joiner, bds. J. R. Mitchells.
Blanchard, John, Baker, Collingwood street.
BARNHART & WAGSTAFF, Chemists and Druggists; Nelson street,
opposite Paul's Hotel.
BROWN, GEORGE, Jr. Grocery, Liquor and Provision Store,
Nelson street, opposite Paul's Hotel.
BURNS, CHARLES, Dealers in Groceries, Boots and Shoes,
Trowbridge St., one door from Gravel Road.
Boyter, Thomas, Fisherman, Lake Shore, East.
Brown, Valentine, Tanner, h. Nelson st.
Butchart, Wm., Tinsmith, bds. James Cleland's.
Boone, F., Tailor (at Henderson & McIntosh's), h. William Henry street.
Boyes, Joseph, Labourer, Seymour st.
Boyes, David, Labourer, Seymour st.
Brown, Hiram, Teacher, William Henry st.
Brown, David, Weaver, William Henry st.
Bushie, David, Carpenter, William Henry st.
Brown, Thomas, Butcher, New Bridge, h. William Henry st.
Barber, Francis, Waggon-maker, Victoria st., bds. Stubb's Hotel.
Boyes, George, Shoemaker.
Burdett, Robert, Mason and Plasterer, Marshall st.
Baker, Felix, Pearl-ash worker, bds. Edwin st.
Bowser, Roger, Brickmaker, near Purdy's Mill.
Boyce, George, Shoemaker, Miller st.
BURLEY, N., Warehouseman, near the wharf, h. St. Vincent st.
CHASE, GEORGE A., General dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.,
Sing's Block, Sykes st.
COMMERCIAL HOTEL, John Stubbs, proprietor, Gravel Road, cor. Edwin st.
Cox, Joseph, Sawyer and Blacksmith, Creek Mills.
Chambers, John, Mason, Creek Mills.
Chambers, Philip, Mason, Creek Mills.
Cox, George, Limeburner, Creek Mills.
Cox, James, Blacksmith, Gravel Road, North.
Congregational Chapel, Trowbridge st.
Curry, John, Innkeeper, "Georgian Inn," near the wharf.
Christie, J., Weaver, Nelson st.
CARNEY, CHARLES, Proprietor Meaford Tannery, h. Bayfield st.
Chapman, Benj., Saddler (at W. F. Livingston's), bds. Nelson st.
Chapman, Richard, Potash maker, h. W. side River.
Cain, W. F., Saddler, bds. H. Jordan's.
CAIN, JOHN C., Proprietor, Meaford Book & Job Printing Office, Victoria st.
COULSON'S HOTEL Sykes st.
COULSON, R. D., Coulson's Hotel, Sykes st.
CLELAND, H.& J. Tin and coppersmiths, Dealers in Stoves,
Bar iron, &c., Sykes St.
Cleland, James (of H.& J. Cleland), h. Sykes st.
CASWELL, GEORGE A., Boot and Shoemaker, Nelson st., adjoining Paul's Hotel.
Caswell, Henry, bds Stubbs' Hotel.
Charlwood, James, Gardener, bds. Stubbs' hotel.
Collins, Robert, Victoria st.
Collins, George, miller, bds. Victoria st.
Cronk, Reuben, Sawyer, h. near the Mills.
Chantler, Moses, Owen st.
Chantler, George, Insurance Agent, Owen st.
Crossley, John, Weaver, Trowbridge st.
Collins, Arthur, Teacher, bds. H. Purdy's.
Caswell, J. A., Shoemaker, bds. Nelson st.
Carney, Sidney S., Meaford Tannery.
Dewar, Robert (of J. R. Mitchell & Co.), Bricklayer, Lombard st.
Duff, Rev. Charles, Congregatonal, Parker st.
Dunn, James, Carpenter, near the Foundry.
Dailey, D. V., Clerk, (at T. & J. N. Andrews'), bds. Parker st.
Dean, Thomas, Clerk (at T. & J. N. Andrews'), h. Seymour st.
Doherty, Wm., Carpenter and Joiner, Collingwood st.
Drummond, D., Cabinet Warehouse, Seymour st.
Dewstow, Wm., Miller, William Henry st.
Dew, Mrs Sarah (widow John), Edwin st.
Delane, Patrick, Labourer, Seymour st.
DRUMMOND, ROBERT, Cabinet maker and Upholsterer, Seymour st.,
near New bridge.
Disciples' Meeting House, Nelson st.
DONOVAN, THOMAS, Civil Engineer and Provincial Land Surveyor,
Sykes st., cor. Collingwood st.
Ellis, Charles, Carpenter, Creek Mills.
Ellis, James, Fanning-mill maker, Creek Mills.
Ellis, George, Gardener, Creek Mills.
Ellis, George, Jr., Farmer, Creek Mills.
Edwards, Joseph S., Insurance Agent, Gravel Road, North.
Emery, Peter, Farmer, Creek Mills.
FULLER, PETER, Insurance Agent, Creek Mills.
Farley, Fergus (of Jordan & Farley), h. Nelson st.
FOSTER, W. H., Chemist and Druggist, Seedsman, Dealer in Furs, &c.,
Sykes st., near Coulson's Hotel.
Finley, Richard, Clerk (at K. Hurd's, Syke st.)
Ford, Benjamin, Labourer, Seymour st.
Govett, Thomas, Mason, Creek Mills.
Garrett, Isaac, Farmer, Creek Mills.
Garrett, Christepher, Limeburner, Creek Mills.
Goss, H. F., Tailor, Collingwood st.
GEDDES, JAMES, Solicitor, Conveyancer, &C office Collingwood st.,
h. Bayfield st.
Grant, James C., Blacksmith h. Miller st.
Grier, Wm., Shoemaker, Collingwood st.
Green, Charles, Mason, William Henry st.
Greenaway, William, Sawyer, Trowbridge st.
Glover, Wm., Plasterer, St. Vincent st.
Hutchinson, Rev. James, Church of England, Gravel Road, North.
Hutton, Richard, Hostler, "Georgian Inn."
Henderson, W. K., Carpenter aud Builder, Nelson st.
Hawkins, Wm., Brickmaker, William Henry st.
Hutchinson, Mrs. C. (widow Thomas), Nelson st.
Hay, Rev. William, Wesleyan Methodist, Nelson st.
Hurd, Kilborn, General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.,
Sykes st., opposite Coulson's Hotel.
Hill, George, Carpenter, Sykes st., opposite Town Hall.
Hill, Mrs. George, Ambrotypes, Photographs, &c., Gallery, Sykes st.
opposite Town Hall.
HEDERSON & McINTOSH; General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.,
and Merchant Tailors, Seymour st.
Henderson, Joseph (of Henderson & McIntosh), h. Seymour st.
Halleck, Benj., Carpenter & Joiner, William Henry st.
Haines, Mrs. Joan, (widow James), William Henry st.
Hunt, Charles, Waggon Maker, bds. Stubbs' Hotel.
Hutton, Mrs. Ann, (widow William) foot of Victoria st.
Hurd, Asahel, Blacksmith, Marshall st.
HAMILTON, JOSEPH, Carriage Maker, Miller st.
Hamilton, Alex., Blacksmith, Miller st., foot of Hamilton's Hill,
h. rear of Mrs. Chantler's.
Hamilton, Gerard B., Blacksmith, Barrie st., cor. Owen st.
Hadley, Nathaniel, Gardner, Barrie st.
Heath, Albion, Carpenter and Joiner; Barrie st. cor. Owen st.
Hollingbeck, Isaac B., Shoemaker, h. Trowbridge st.
Huff, Elisha, Shoemaker, St. Vincent st.
Helstrop, Robert, Waggon Maker, St. Vincent st.
Johnson, Alex., Clerk, bds. G. A. Chase's, Sykes st.
Johnson, Robert, farmer, Gravel Rd. North.
Johnson, Robert, Jr., Gardner, Gravel Road, North.
Johnson, Arthur, Labourer, Gravel Rd. North.
Johnson, Richard, Tanner, bds. R. Johnson's.
Jay, John, Mason, Bayfield st.
JORDAN & FARLEY, Saddlers and Harness Makers, Nelson st.
Jordan, Hugh, (of Jordan and Farley), h. Nelson st.
Knox, John, Carpenter, Creek Mills.
LIVINGSTON, W. J., Saddler and Harness Makers, Nelson St.,
opposite Paul's Hotel, h. Parker st.
LaRush, Charles, Butcher, Bayfield st. next "Georgian Inn."
Lang, John, Carpenter and Joiner, Collingwood st.
LAYTON, DAVID L. General Merchant and Postmaster, Bayfield st.
h. Wynthusen Square.
LAYTON, JOHN, Clerk, h. Collingwood st.
LINDSAY, JOHN, General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.
Nelson st., next Town Hall.
Lloyd, Edward, Tailor (at Henderson & McIntosh's)
Langtree, Thomas, Carpenter, Seymour st.
LAWSON, ANDREW, Pearlash Manufacturer, River bank, below Grist Mill
h. head of Edwin st.
Lindsay, Mrs., Dressmaker, Trowbridge st.
MEIKLE, WILLIAM, General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries,
Country Produce, &c. Sykes st., directly opposite Coulson's Hotel.
Menere, Levi S., Lessee Meaford Wharf and Forwarder, h. Parker st.
MEAFORD HOTEL, John Paul, Proprietor, Nelson st.
MITCHELL, J. R. & Co., Sash and Door Factory, Bayfield st., near the wharf.
Mitchell, J. R. (of J. R. Mitchell & Co.), h. St. Vincent st.
MONAGHAN, JOHN, Boot and Shoemaker, Nelson st. opposite
Paul's Hotel, h. Lake shore, East.
MACK, JAMES, (Agent for H. Conn), Dry Goods Groceries, Boots and Shoes, &c.,
Montgomery, Wm. Butcher, Nelson st.
MINTURN, JOHN, Painter, William Henry st.
McDONALD, ELIJAH, Pump maker, Gravel Road North.
McVie, Mr., Book keeper, Creek Mills.
McPherson, John, Shoemaker, bd. Nelson st.
McGillvray, William, Clerk, Nelson st.
McDonald, Hector, Saddler, bds. W. F. Livingston's.
McIntosh, D. G., (of Henderson & McIntosh), h. Semour st.
McDonald, Wm., Butcher, Marshall st., cor. William Henry st.
Maclean, Dr. C. R., Physician & Surgeon, Seymour st.
McDONALD, WILLIAM & Co., Carriage makers, cor. Owen and Barrie sts.
McDonald, Wm. (of W. McDonald & Co.), h. Trowbridge st.
McGee, John D. (of W. McDonald & Co.), h. Nelson st.
New Connexion Methodist Chapel, Gravel Road, North.
Oliver, James, Mason, Creek Mills.
Orange Hall, Gravel Road, North.
Pitts, Emanuel, Gardner, Creek Mills.
PATTON, JOHN, Cabinet Maker, Gravel Road, North, h. Parker st.
PAUL, JOHN, Proprietor "Meaford Hotel", Nelson street.
Plunkett, Robert, Carpenter, bds. H. Jordan's.
POLLARD, W. D., Solicitor and Attorney, Sing's Block, Sykes St.,
h. W. of lower bridge.
Potter, Mr., William Henry st.
PILLGREM, WM., General Dealer in Dry Goods, Grocries, &c., Seymour st.
PURDY, JESSE T., Proprietor Grist and Sawmills, h. near the mills.
Purdy, Adelbert, Purdy's Mills.
Purdy, Edwin, Purdy's Mills.
Purdy, William H., Miller, h. Victoria st.
Purdy, Hassard W., Farmer, Seymour st.
Patrick, Daniel, Labourer, Edwin st.
PLUNKETT, THOMAS, Division Court Clerk, Bookseller and Stationer,
Sing's Block, Syke st.
Randall, Bobert, Labourer, Gravel Road, North.
Raymond, Ambrose, Carriage maker, h. Sykes st. near Collingwood st.
Raymond, Curtis, Farmer, bds. at C. Carney's.
Robinson, Matthew, Carpenter and Joiner, Collingwood st.
Roadhouse, Thomas, Mason, William Henry st.
Rugg, Samuel, Carpenter, William Henry st.
Robinson, George, Boot and Shoe Maker, William Henry st.
Rugg, Oliver T., Shoemaker, Victoria st.
Rugg, Emery, Fisherman, Seymour st.
Richmond, Samuel, Carpenter and Joiner, Trowbridge st.
Spratford, James, Spratford's Sawmill, "Creek Mill."
STEWART, J.& W., General Merchants, Bayfield st.
Stewart, James (of J. & W. Stewart), h. Trowbridge st.
Stewart, William (of J. & W. Stewart), h. Trowbridge st.
Stewart, James Jr., Clerk, h. Gravel Road, North.
SINCLAIR, DUNCAN, Proprietor Meaford Foundry, Bayfield st., near the wharf.
Shipphird Jethro, Tailor, Bayfield st., h. Collingwood st.
STEPHENS, William, Tinsmith, Nelson st.
Smith, James, Cooper, St. Vincent st.
SYMES, THOMAS, M.D., office at R. H. Foster's Drug Store, h. Collins st.
Shaw, Rev. William, Methodist Episcopal, William Henry st.
STUBBS, JOHN, Proprietor Commercial Hotel, Gravel Road, S. of River,
cor. Edwin st.
SINCLAIR, Dr. J. G. Physician and Surgeon, bds. Coulson's Hotel.
Smith, John, Labourer, Marshall st.
Sing, Mrs. Sarah, Miller st.
SING, CYRUS R., Notary Public, Issuer of Marriage Licenses,
and Commissioner in Queen's Bench, St. Vincent st.
Sterret, Robert, St. Vincent st.
Tait, Adam, Blacksmith, Edwin st., h. Seymour st., near Stubbs' Hotel.
Thomas, David, Brickmaker, Creek Mills.
TAYLOR, WILLAM D., General Merchant, Sykes st., cor. Nelson st.
Taylor, William H., Sykes st., cor Nelson st.
THOMPSON, ALEX., Clothier, h. Seymour st.
Thompson, Mrs. M. A. (widow Adam), William Henry st.
Verrel, Bernard, Creek Mills.
Vanderburgh, Nelson, Labourer, William Henry st.
Wright, James, Carpenter, Creek Mills.
Wilcox, Mrs. Eliza J. (widow Amos), Gravel Road, North.
WAGSTAFF, JAMES (of Barnhart & Wagstaff) Chemist and Druggist, Nelson st.
opposite Paul's Hotel.
Wesleyn Methodist Chapel, Nelson st.
WILLIAMS, JAMES, Lessee Meaford Woollen Mills, h. William Henry st.
WATT, CHARLES, Fanning Mill Manufacturer, Factory and house,
cor. William Henry and Harriet sts.
Weston, John, Sawyer, Seymour st. near Stubbs' hotel.
WILCOX, THOMAS C., Boot and Shoemaker, Seymour st.
Watt, James, Labourer, Seymour st.
Watt, Andrew, Division Court Bailiff, Seymour st.
Weaver, Rev. F. G., New Connexion Methodist, h. St. Vincent st.
York, Henry, Well-digger, Parker st.
MEAFORD TO EUGENIA.
From Meaford, on Georgian Bay, to Eugenia, at the falls of the
Beaver River, in Artemisia, is 20 miles, direct South, at least
as direct as the township lines run, which is slightly E. of S.
This road is between the 4th and 5th concessions in St. Vincent
and Euphrasia townships, and is called the "Fourth Line" in each.
From Meaford to Griersville is 5 m. The Road may be said to be
uphill all the way. A mile in rear of Meaford, a beatiful prospect
is presented on looking lakeward. Arrived at Griersville, through
a fine improving country on each side, the traveller finds that the
"uphill" is not yet quite finished. Before him, at a little distance,
lies a perpendicular escarpment of the limestone rock so frequently
seen in this county, and which he must ascend through a narrow "cut,"
quarried and blasted out of the rock. Having probably rested and
dined at Wilson's Hotel, Griersville, the rock-ascent is soon and
easily made, and the table land of Euphrasia gained. At the town-line
between St. Vincent and Euphrasia, a Methodist Chapel (Mount Zion Chapel)
stands on East side of the road. About 3 m. further is Duke's tavern,
a small wayside Inn. Shortly after passing Duke's, the road begins
to descend to the South, opening out into the valley of the Beaver River.
If the traveller inquires diligently and watches closely, he will
discover the isolated Post-office of Epping, a great convenience,
however, to the inhabitants around. The view southward is most
beautiful. The slopes of the Collingwood and St. Vincent "Mountains,"
partially opened up, but nearly all yet covered with wood, and the
magnificent valley of the Beaver, present a fine picture. The road
is now none of the best, unless a good time of the year is
taken to make the journey. An occasional school-house, or
small Chapel, is met with on the way, showing that the people
are not insensible of their moral and educational interests.
About 1 1/2 m. from Epping, the bottom of the descent is reached.
In the midst of a pretty long "causeway," through a cedar-swamp,
the Beaver River is crossed, and shortly after, the Road begins to
ascend. A School-house is seen on the right, and Purdy's Sawmill
on the left. It is now 6 m. from Eugenia. The traveller keeps
on uphill, through a rather winding road, nearly all forest;
thinking, perhaps, that the descent of this new road is much
pleasanter than its ascent, and, looking back, or to the right
occasionally, to admire the exhilarating forest scenery of the
"Cuckoo Valley," that not even a new bush-road, can altogether
spoil; and having gone about three miles uphill, gets to the
high table land of Artemisia. In fact he has been in Artemisia
for the last mile or two, without knowing it. In due time
he reaches the village of Eugenia. We have given prominence to
this Road for the reason that, though as yet not much travelled
at its Southen end, it must eventually become a leading road between the
"Toronto Line" and the Lake; and partly because of the wild and
beautiful scenery surrounding it.
Bill Martin, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
My Site Map