EGREMONT P. O.
This is one of the oldest established Post Offices on the Garafraxa Road,
dating back 20 years. It is 3 m. north of Mount Forest. Daily mails both
ways. Thomas Smith, Esq., Postmaster. Mr. Smith also keeps a general
stock of Dry Goods, Groceries, &c. The "Egremont House," kept by
James Cringle, is a large, well known and well conducted House; kept for
many years by T. Smith, the present Postmaster. There is also another
tavern, Adam Fries, proprietor. Half a mile further north is Dickson's
Grist and Sawmill in the Township of Sullivan; lot H, third Concession.
The mills are on the River Sydenham, a small stream at that place. They
are 3 miles from Johntown (S. W). The Grist mill has two run of stones.
Erected about 6 years ago. Peter McGillivary, Lessee.
EPPING P. O.
On Lot 18, Con. 8, Township of Euphrasia. It is 5 m. from Griersville,
and 10 m.. from Meaford (directly South.) About 10 m. north of Eugenia.
Mail to and from Walter's Falls, Griersville and Meaford every Thursday.
There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (frame) and a school house nearby.
John Benson, Postmaster.
A town plot in the township of Artemisia, at the Falls of the Beaver River,
4 1/2 m. from Flesherton, 20 m. S. of Meaford, 26 m. from Collingwood by
present route, and 35 from Owen Sound. In August, 1858, Messrs. Purdy
commenced operations in Eugenia. A house was run up, a small clearing made,
&c., near the brink of the Falls. The sawmill was built in 1859, and the
flouring mill put in operation in 1860. The town plot consists of 800 acres.
None of it except the mill plot is yet sold by the Government. A few
inhabitants have taken possession of town or park lots, and some improvements
have been made. In 1864, the Municipal Council of Artemisia memorialized
the Crown Land Department in favour of selling the lots in Eugenia and
Priceville. The people of Eugenia opposed it, as far as their town was
concerned, and the "Department" took their view of the subject. Residents
giving the County Crown Land Agent satisfactory proof of having built on
the town lots, or made improvements to a specified extent on the Park lots,
are allowed to purchase them of the Government at fixed reasonable rates.
The inhabitants think this is more to the interest of the village than having
the town plot sold by auction, as in the latter case a larger portion would
get into the hands of absentees. The place has now outgrown its first
difficulties; mills have been built, a village site cleared, roads to
some extent opened out and a steady growth may reasonably be anticipated.
The place was surveyed nine or ten years ago, during the Crimean War, and the
names of the streets, Alma, Balaklava, Raglan, Codrington, &c., bear
witness to the exciting interest of the time. The village contains a
Postoffice and store, a tavern, three or four carpenters, a grist mill, a
sawmill, plasterer, a painter, a boot and shoemaker, &c. There are two
first class water privileges, not in use, above the Falls, in the town plot,
besides the rapids below the Falls, and the Falls themselves, which latter,
it is hoped, may be long unvexed with labouring wheels, to give pleasure
to the lovers of the picturesque, the grand and the beautiful.
The Grist Mill is 45 x 35 ft, 3 1/2 stories high, contains two run of stones,
and water power and room for more. The River is very swift, and the water
abundant, and "no dam" is required. The mill is a very short distance above
the brink of the Falls. The sawmill is a little further up. At another
excellent water privilege, a quarter of a mile above, the frame of a Woollen
Factory was erected, but has not been finished.
Elliott, Thomas, Boot and Shoemaker.
Eligh, Charles, Potash Worker.
Foster, Rev. John, Episcopal Methodist.
Harris, Elias, Farmer, Park lots.
Hawkins, Joseph, Farmer, Park lots.
Hislop, Adam, Miller, Eugenia Mills.
HALSTED, S. T., Proprietor Eugenia Hotel.
Long, E. G. Teamster.
Purdy, Alexander, Proprietor Grist and SawMill.
PURDY, R. McLEAN, General Merchant, Postmaster, Commissioner
in Queen's Bench, and Issuer of Marriage Licenses, J. P.
Sloan, Jacob, Carpenter.
Saunders, John, Carpenter.
Saunders, Samuel, House and Sign Painter
Saunders, William, Carpenter.
Whitney, S. T., Carpenter.
Mails on Tuesdays and Saturdays, to and from Flesherton, on
"Toronto and Sydenham" Gravel Road.
The feature for which Eugenia is most noted and oftenest visited, is far
famed Falls of the Beaver River, known as "Artemisia" or "Eugenia" Falls.
The River, a very considerable stream of clear cold water, plunges over a
precipice of 7O feet, in one unbroken sweep. The view, especially from below,
is sublime. The rocks are precipitous on either side, and on the Southern
side a steep hill rises from the brink to a considerable height above, the
falls. The descent into the wild ravine below is attended with some
difficulty. We were unable, on the occasion of our last visit, to make the
descent, being in mid winter. The cataract shot out, from under a jagged
curtain of blue ice, and disappered in the huge crater of a rising icecone
that had crept up one third the height of the falls. All was silent,
majestic, and most beautifal. Adventurous visitors in summer sometimes go
behind the sheet of falling waters, but it is an operation attended
with difficulty, at times rather dangerous, from the blinding, and stifling
force of the spray.
The fall is much visited, and will amply repay a day's journey to see it.
The best route from Owen Sound is by the Toronto and Sydenham Gravel Road
to Flesherton. Eugenia is two miles from the nearest point on the Gravel Road,
which would be three miles East of Flesherton. From Collingwood, the route
would be via Singhampton and Maxwell. In either case, the best return route
is by the descent of the Beaver River Valley to Meaford. The magnificence
of the view will more than compensate for the newer and rougher road.
R. McLean Purdy, Esq., the courteous Postmaster at Eugenia, exhibits in his
Store the antlers of an immense moose, found in a chasm of the rock below the
falls. The animal had probably fallen into a snow covered chasm, and
perished by wolves or hunger. From tip to tip the antlers would measure when
uninjured (one is complete), 4 ft. 8 in. The whole weighs, with one antler
mostly gone, and the lower jaw wanting, 16 1/2 lbs., or about 30 lbs. when
complete. The unbroken antler has, for the length of 16 inches, a breadth of
8 inches on its "flat"; in other words a piece 16 x 8 inches might be sawn
out of one horn. Mr. Purdy also shows the curious visitor, some specimens of
the "Fools' Gold" of 1852; and "thereby hangs a tale." In 1852, when the
country was very new and wild, somebody thought he had discovered gold in the
rocks below the falls. The secret at first was known only to two or three,
or at most half a dozen; and they wrought like beavers to make their "pile"
before the whole country should come flocking to the diggings, and the
Government interfere with their free mining. But "murder will out," and
rumours of gold seem carried by the very air; and it was not many days till
another prospecting party discovered them from the brink of the precipice,
hard at work in the chasm. Seeing they were discovered, they laid down their
picks, and held a parley. The newcomers were anxious to be assured that it
was the "real stuff," being a little doubtful on that point. "Well," said
an old man, wiping the sweat from his brow, and sitting down on a very
respectable pile of the purest and most glittering "rocks" he had been able
to find. "Well, if it's gold, I've got enough, and if it isn't gold, I've
got enough!" One adventurous waggonmaker, from the County of York, happening
to be in the region, made a rush with the rest to the diggings, and soon
departed homeward, several days journey through woods and bushroads, with a
backbreaking load in a bag. All the way home he was resolving what use to
make of his wealth. He decided on selling his shop, buying and stocking a
good farm, and living in comfort the rest of his days. He got home, and
before he slept kindled up his forge fire to melt down a little of the
precious stuff. The catastrophe was entirely unanticipated. The sulphurious
fumes and horrible stench of the vile stuff choked him, and well nigh drove
him out of the premises. The harder he blew, the more horrible became
the stifling fumes, till in despair he pitched the whole lot into the street!
He had carried home a backload of worthless iron pyrites!
A township in the Northeastern part of the County of Grey. It is South of
St. Vincent, West of Collingwood, North of Artemisia, and East of Holland.
Its N.E. corner comes to within about 2 m. of Georgian Bay. None of the
County gravel roads touch Euphrasia, though the improved roads pass very near
its N.E. and S. W. corners. St. Vincent was surveyed in 1834; and in a few
years a desire was felt to have the lands South of it opened up for settlement.
The speculators, also mentioned in connection with Collingwood Township,
desired to have Euphrasia surveyed, but they did not get hold of it, as they
did of Collingwood. Mr. Rankin was the Surveyor. Euphasia is becoming well
settled throughout. The Southern part is pretty new, but most of the lots
are occupied. The soil is generally clay. Timber, hardwood-maple, elm, &c.
Pine is scarce, and oak is only met with at rare points. The Northern and
Western parts of the Township are high upland. The Beaver River enters
Euphrasia about the middle of its South line, and goes out near the N. E.
corner, forming a broad valley, with a mile or two of slope on
each side. This valley and its slopes take up about one third
of the township. There are very few townships in which such
distant views can be obtained as in Euphrasia. From certain points
almost the whole township can be seen. There is not much stone,
though some, in certain localities.
Euphrasia contains 72,000 acres, and (in 1861) 1,472 inhabitants.
There are no villages in the township.
Post Offices-Blantyre and Epping.
Churches-Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (frame), on "Fourth Line,"
one mile S. of Griersville. Another Wesleyan Chapel (frame)
on the same Line, near Epping P. O.
Canada Presbyterian Church, on 9th Line, toward the North
end of the township.
Episcopal Methodist Chapel, on 5th Line, in the South part of
Saw Mills-In the South end of the township, 5 1/2 m. from
Eugenia, on "4th Line," is a Sawmill, lately erected, the
property of William Purdy, of Eugenia.
In the same neighbourhood, on 5th Concession, is a Sawmill
belonging to Mr. John Hurlburt.
George Reid's Sawmill is on Lot 25, in 7th Concession.
There are no flouring or other mills.
Cencus Reports-In 1861 the number of occupiers of land is set
down at 245. Of these, 27 occupied from 20 to 50 acre each;
168 from 50 to 100 acres each; and 38 from 100 to 200 acres each.
6,521 acres were reported as under cultivation. Fall wheat,
5,130 bushels; Spring wheat, 40,642 bushels; Barley, 2,218
bushels; Pease, 10,848 bushels; Oats, 13,407 bushels; Potatoes,
29,821 bushels; Turnips, 44,373 bushels. Grass seeds, 880 bushels;
Hay, 1,307 tons; Maple Sugar, 11,078 lbs.; Wool, 2,730 lbs.;
Butter; 22,668 lbs.; Pork, 395 barrels.
Township Officers-Reeve, James Kerr (Heathcote P. O.)
Councillors- S. McNaught, George Black, James Patterson, N. Currie.
Clerk, R. Dunlop (Griersville P. O.)
Treasurer, R. Johnston (Griersville P. O.)
Magistrates-James Kerr, Hugh Abercrombie, Nathaniel Currie,
James Patterson, Benjamin Parker, James Stitt, George Reid,
Jos. Boyd, Samuel Snelgrove, Robert Dunlop, Alexander Purdy, Robert Gilray.
Schools-There are six Common Schools in Euphrasia, beside two "Union" Schools,
S.S. No.5. John Donaldson, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with
maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 36.
S.S. No.6. Robert Johnston, Teacher. House Frame. Furnished With Maps, &c.
Average attendance for 1864, about 14.
S.S. No.7. Susan Johnston, Teacher. House, Frame. Furnished with Maps. &c.
Average attendance for 1864, about 25.
S.S. No.9. James Gilchrist, Teacher. House, Frame.
Furnished with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, about 20.
S.S. No.12. Margaret McIntyre, Teacher. House, Frame.
Furnished with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, about 15.
S.S. No.13. Thomas N. Reynolds, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, about 25.
Township Library.-There is a good Public Library in Euphrasia, established
by Township funds. It is divided into five sections, one for each Ward,
which are interchanged once a year. No fewer than 300 books per month
were taken out in 1864.
NOTE: f signifies "Freeholder;" h "Householder."
Abercrombie, Hugh f 4 29
Anderson, George f 6 26
Anderson, Henry f 7 29
Abercrombie, Thomas f 7 23
Artley, Wm. h 12 24
Abercrombie, John f 7 14
Abercrombie, Hugh f 7 14
Boyd, John h 5 19
Best, Wm. h 6 19
Bingham, John, f 6 21
Best, John f 6 30
Braidner, Joseph h 7 12
Braidner, Henry f 7 18
Braidner, Samuel f 7 19
Black, George f 7 22
Black, Donald h 7 25
Boyd, James f 8 21
Boyd, Joseph f 8 21
Braidner, Wm. f 9 22
Braidner, James f 9 22
Brown, Charles h 9 25
Brady, John f 10 3
Blaney, James h 12 5
Burton, Francis f 12 6
Black, Samuel f 7 22
Brown, Motson h 1 18
Blanchard, Nelson h 1 25
Bacon, Henry f 2 11
Black, David f 2 19
Black, W.J. f 2 19
Burns, Arthur h 2 19
Berry, Christopher f 2 29
Boyd, Wm. h 3 2
Boyd, John f 3 24
Bell, Joseph f 3 26
Ball, Henry f 4 15
Ball, Richard f 4 17
Ball, Enoch f 4 17
Black, John f 4 17
Burritt, Truman, Sr. f 5 3
Burritt, Stephen f 5 3
Burritt, Edward f 5 3
Burchard, John T. h 5 12
Cooper, James f 8 7
Cooper, Samuel f 8 7
Cooper, Robert f 8 8
Cooper, Wm. f 8 8
Clarke, Andrew f 8 29
Clarke, Robert f 8 30
Clock, Wm. h 10 2
Currie, James f 10 25
Currie, Nathaniel f 11 24
Creasor, Carlton f 12 8
Cameron, John f 11 17
Cornfield, George f 6 16
Carnaham, James f 1 18
Canfield, John h 5 13
Clugston, James f 5 16
Clugston, Robert f 5 21
Clugston, John f 5 21
Currie, John f 5 23
Clarke, John f 5 29
Craig, John h 5 9
Clarke, Noble f 6 28
Clarke, Robert f 6 30
Currie, James f 6 26
Cook, John h 7 15
Crabtree, John D. f 7 24
Clarke, James f 7 29
Clarke, Christopher f 7 30
Devins, Nathan f 1 27
Donaldson, Samuel f 2 17
Donaldson, David f 2 18
Dales, James, Sr. f 2 24
Dales, Richard f 2 25
Dales, John f 2 25
Dales, James, Jr. f 2 25
Duke, John f 4 24
Doherty, Thomas h 4 30
Dunlop, Robert f 5 28
Dowding, Jesse h 7 9
Dunlop, Robert f 9 20
Davies, Richard 1 9 28
Dunlop, James f 11 26
Drinkall, Thomas f 6 8
Donaldson, Wm. f 2 17
Edger, John h 2 12
Ellison, Wm. h 3 27
Eaton, Francis f 4 16
Erskine, Alex f 9 18
Eaton, Daniel f 10 28
Eaton, James f 11 23
Fawcett, Irwin f 1 12
Fawcett, Robert f 1 19
Fawcett, Wm. f 1 19
Fulford, Lorenzo f 2 27
Farry, Peter f 3 30
Fisher, Samuel f 4 30
Falls, John f 6 24
Foy, James f 8 22
Falls, Alex f 8 30
Goodfellow, Samuel f 1 13
Gordon, John f 3 3
Gilray, Wm. h 3 4
Griffith, George f 3 25
Groom, John f 3 27
Gilray, Robert f 5 17
Gardner, Ritchie f 5 21
Gilmour, Matthew h 6 17
Gilmour, Samuel f 6 25
Grier, James f 7 27
Gray, John f 9 10
Hewson, N. C. f 1 25
Hamilton, Thomas f 1 28
Henderson, George h 3 23
Hurd, Jehial h 4 8
Hurd, Stephen h 4 8
Hill, A.W. f 4 28
Hurd, Rufus h 5 2
Hurlburt, John h 5 5
Hutcbinson, Wm. h 7 3
Henderson, Joseph f 7 5
Hopkins, Richard f 8 24
Hines, Joseph f 10 20
Hines, W. R. f 10 20
Horner, John f 7 7
Horner, Henry f 7 7
Hopkins, R. J. f 8 25
Hines, James f 10 20
Irvine, Wm. f 11 30
Irwin, John f 1 28
Irwin, John f 7 20
Job, Joseph f 4 21
Johnston, Robert f 7 27
Johnston, James h 1 30
Kinnear, Alex f 2 11
Kerr, James f 2 21
Kinney, George f 3 29
Knott, J.W. f 4 26
Knott, James f 4 26
Kelly, John f 6 23
Kelly Thomas f 10 30
Leamon, Wm. f 1 16
Loughead, Wm. f 1 22
Lehi, Wm. h 1 30
Lewis, John f 3 26
Lawrence, George h 3 9
Loughead, Wm. h 5 14
Loughead, John f 5 16
Lanktree, H. W. f 5 24
Lanktree, John f 5 24
Lanktree, Richard f 5 25
Loughead, Hugh f 5 28
Lawrence, John h 5 12
Lawson, George f 7 8
Loughead, David f 2 23
Loughead, John f 1 5
Marwood, James h 6 9
Meek, Wm. h 11 28
Millson, Wm. f 11 23
Murray, John f 9 18
Murray, John, Jr f 9 18
Marshall, Wm. f 9 30
Myles, George f 8 15
Myles, Andrew f 8 15
Mathers, Robt. f 0 14
Menary, Andrew f 9 19
Menary, John f 9 27
Myles, James, Sr. f 5 25
Myles, Robt. h 5 11
Myles, James h 5 11
Mirrick, Hiram h 4 6
Mirrick, Nathan h 4 6
Miller, Henry f 1 17
Martin, Daniel f 6 22
Martin, David f 6 22
McLeod, Donald h 11 16
McCrea, Wm. f 1 10
McAuslan, James f 1 15
McCallan, Isaac h 1 16
McVain, John h 2 13
McClung, Wm. f 2 20
McMahon, James h 3 26
McLean, Alex h 4 7
McKnight, Samuel f 4 18
McKnight, James f 4 19
McConnell, Wm. f 4 21
McElroy, Wm. f 4 27
McGee, James h 5 4
McLean, O.F. f 4 7
McConnell, Thomas f 4 20
McConnell, Wm. f 8 27
McCombs, Joseph, Sr. f 5 30
McCombs, Joseph, Jr. f 5 29
McConnell, Alex A. h 5 30
McKenzie, John f 5 27
McArthur, Donald f 7 12
McCulloch, Robt. f 11 25
McCulloch, Wm. h 12 24
McConnell, John f 5 22
Neil, Joseph f 7 20
Neely, Jacob f 9 19
Norton, Charles f 9 7
Nelson, James h 7 1
Neil, James f 3 20
Neil, John f 5 19
Owen, Edward f 3 21
Owen, Isaiah f 3 21
Owen, Alfred h 3 25
Odell, John f 4 11
Park, Robt. f 1 20
Park, Wm. f 1 20
Prentis, Levi f 1 26
Parker, Benj. f 4 11
Pickering, John h 7 5
Patton, Daniel f 8 23
Patton, Matthew f 9 15
Patton, Joseph f 9 21
Patterson, James f 9 27
Perry, Alex h 11 28
Parker, Thomas f 2 15
Proctor, Wm. f 6 9
Quinton, Robt. f 7 30
Rorke, W. D. f 1 14
Rear, John h 2 24
Reid, Hugh f 4 15
Rice, James h 5 20
Rice, Thomas f 5 20
Robinson, John f 5 26
Reid, Thomas f 7 19
Reid, George f 7 24
Reid, Wm. f 7 26
Richardson, George f 9 2
Richardson, Thomas h 12 5
Richardson, John h 12 6
Snelgrove, R. W. f 4 14
Snelgrove, A. H. f 4 14
Stephens, George h 1 12
Smith, John f 3 30
Stafford, John f 3 5
Sparling, Thomas f 6 20
Snelgrove, Samuel f 6 27
Sewell, Thomas f 6 29
Somers, W.H. h 7 2
Stonnell, Richard h 7 3
Sheil, Adam f 9 1
Stitt, James f 9 26
Stead, James h 10 18
Sparling, Richard f 10 27
Struthers, James f 11 2
Shepherdson, George f 11 25
Thurston, James h 5 10
Thurston, Philemon f 5 10
Vickers, George f 3 28
Wright, John f 1 24
Wilson, George f 1 24
White, John h 1 29
Wright, John f 2 30
Wilson, Wm. f 3 28
White, Richard h 3 29
Wilson, James f 4 24
Winter, John f 4 27
Wickens, Thomas h 5 2
Welsh, James f 5 18
Wilcox, James f 7 8
Ward, Richard f 7 21
Willoughby, C. f 8 18
Ward, James f 8 20
Wright, Samuel f 9 14
Ward, George f 9 25
Wells, F. h 10 11
Ward, Wm. h 10 17
Wright, John h 10 27
Ward, Sheldon f 11 18
White, Arthur f 3 8
Wickens, Edward h 12 22
Wylie, Samuel f 6 8
Woods, Richard f 10 20
Ward, John f 1 6
Yelling, James f 7 9
Yeadell, George f 9 23
Yeadell, John f 9 23
Situated in the Township of Bentinck, at the mouth of a small
stream that falls into the Saugeen, less than a mile East of
Allan Park P. O., on the North side of the Durham Road. The
Mills consist of a Grist Mill, with one run of stones, and a
Sawmill. The Sawmill is said to be one of the best in the County.
Fensom, John, Proprietor Grist and Sawmills.
Fensom (Messrs. Richard, George and James), Lessees of Mills.
A thriving little village in the township of Osprey, a little
N.W. of the centre of the township, situated on the upper waters
of the Beaver River. It is 1 1/2 miles North of the Durham and
Collingwood Gravel Road, the nearest point on that road being
about a mile East of Maxwell. It is 18 m. from Collingwood, 3 1/2 m.
from Maxwell, 12 from Flesherton, 42 from Owen Sound, and 27 from Durham.
Feversham was not a Government Townplot, but began to grow
into shape six years ago, when the late Edward Horton Esq.,
laid out a portion of his property into lots. Mr. Horton
built the Grist and Sawmills in 1860. The Flouring Mill has two run
of stones, with conveniences for Oatmeal mill, if required. The
Sawmill is a first class mill, and will turn out 4,000 ft. lumber per day.
There are still two spare water privileges at Feversham. The River here
is a consideble stream, yet of a very manageble size for milling
purposes. It runs between precipitous rocky banks of about 20 ft. in
height, having as it were cut its way through. The river is quite rapid,
and a short distance below the village forms pretty cascade
of 6 or 8 feet. The Mills are now the property of Arthur McRoberts, Esq.
The village contains a Postoffice, 2 Stores, a School House, 2 Churches,
both frame buildings; Grist mill, Sawmill, Tavern, Cabinet Maker, Tailor
and Carpenter. In the Canada Presbyterian Church, there are religious
services every second Sabbath; by Rev. Jas. Greenfield, of Stayner. In
the Episcopal Methodist Church, services every second Sabbath, by
Rev. John Foster, of Eugenia. There is a Loyal Orange Lodge in Feversham,
and a flourishing Temple of the Independent Order of Good Templars.
Mails, Monday and Friday.
Brownell, Rev. D. E., Wesleyan Methodist.
Campbell, Richard, Teacher.
Edwards, George, Cabinet maker.
FISHER, ALEXANDER, Proprietor Feversham House.
Horton, Mrs. (widow Edward).
Horton, George, Potash Manufacturer.
Horton, Samuel, Farmer.
HERON, DUNCAN, Lessee Sawmill.
LOGIE, JAMES, General Dealer in Country Produce, Dry Goods,
Groceries, Clothing, Boots and Shoes, &c.
McROBERTS, ARTHUR, Proprietor Grist and Sawmills.
Pipe, Henry, Carpenter.
Pye, Charles, Tailor.
SPROULE, MRS., Postmistress, and General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c.
A growing village near the centre of the Township of Artemisia, at the
intersection of the "Toronto and Sydenham" and Durham and Collingwood
Gravel Roads. A few years ago, W. K. Flesher, Esq.,
for some years Reeve of the Township and Warden of the County,
laid out a portion of his property in village lots, and named
the place "Flesherton," by which name it is generally known,
though the post office is still known by the original name
"Artemisia." Had the other owners of property co-operated with
Mr. Flesher, the place would doubtless have been larger by this date.
Until the Gravel Road was opened up, there was little at
"Flesher Corners" but the two taverns, and a sawmill not now
in existence. After the gravelling of the two intersecting
Roads, the place began rapidly to improve. The Sawmill, the
fulling mill, the stores, &c., are all the result of the last
two or three years. The village has a postoffice, 3 stores,
2 taverns, several carpenters, a pump-maker, a blacksmith shop, a
Sawmill, a carding and fulling mill, 2 churches, 2 resident
clergymen, and a resident physician. It is 5 m. from
Priceville, 37 m. from Orangeville, 30 m. to Owen Sound, and 30
m. to Collingwood Harbor. The Postoffice was first established
about 12 years ago, at the first settlement of the "Toronto
Line." J. P. Fowler is the present Postmaster. Mails daily
to and from Collingwood and Durham; on Wednesdays and Saturdays
to and from Chatsworth; on Mondays and Thursdays to
Orangeville, and on Tuesdays and Fridays from Orangeville. A
section of the Township Library is kept in the village,
W. K. Flesher, Librarian.
There is at present no Grist Mill in the villge, though one is
contemplated, and partially erected. There is a very large
traffic through the village, setting Eastward toward
Collingwood. The Mill stream is small, a tributary of the Beaver
River, sometimes called "Boyne Water." The N. C. Methodist
and Wesleyan Churches are both frame buildings; the latter was
erected in 1864.
Ainsley, Julius, Farmer.
Bonnar, Dr. D., Associate Coroner, &C., boards Jones' Hotel.
BOYNE WATER HOTEL, John Jones, Proprietor.
Cairns, Archibald, Farmer.
Campbell, Peter, Carding and Fulling Mill.
CAMPBELL, RICHARD, Township Clerk, (1 1/2 m. S. E.)
Clayton, William, Boot and Shoemaker.
Davidson, William, Farmer.
Dunwoodie, John, Farmer.
FLESHERTON HOTEL, A. Munshaw, Proprietor.
FLESHER, WILLIAM K., J. P., Proprietor Sawmill, General Merchant,
Warden of the County.
Hooper, William, Carpenter.
Hurd, John H., General Blacksmith.
Houx, Ward, Pump and Sieve Maker.
Jacques, Rev. George, Wesleyan Methodist.
JONES, JOHN, Proprietor, "Boyne Water Hotel."
Jackson, Rev. Thomas, New Connexion Methodist.
Keefer, George, Carpenter.
King, J. H., Farmer.
Marshall, James, Teacher.
MUNSHAW, AARON, Proprietor Flesherton Hotel.
Munshaw, Aaron, Sr., Farmer.
McSorley, John, Farmer.
Stewart, George, Farmer.
TRIMBLE, ROBERT, General Merchant and Farmer.
TOWLER, JAMES P., Postmaster; General Merchant:
In the year 1837, no townships were surveyed North or West of
Garafraxa township. It was the Ultima Thule of civilization in
that direction. Before that date, Lewis Burwell, Esq.,
afterward of Brantford, had been sent up to lay out some
townships at the head waters of the Grand River; and in the year
mentioned Charles Rankin, Esq., now of Owen Sound, was
directed to carry a line through to the waters of Owen Sound;
He started from Garafraxa near Fergus; through what is now the
townships of Peel and Arthur, to the present site of Mount Forest.
Here dropping the formal survey, he explored the route
Northward. In 1840, the line was opened out in a fashion-a few
necessary removals of logs and small trees made. In 1841,
a new survey of the line was made by Mr. McDonald, of Goderich.
The new line is the one now used. The variations between the
two were not very important. The first horse team that ever
came through was in the summer of 1842, driven by a person named
Boulton. The road began to get better after the "grant lots"
were pretty well taken up along it, and settlers had occasion
to travel it. From about the year 1848 it became an important
highway to the Northern Townships, though a bad enough road at
certain seasons. Within the last four years it has been
gravelled from below Arthur all the way to Owen Sound. It has
always been called in the County of Grey the "Garafraxa Road,"
from the circumstances of its first survey. But in the County
of Wellington it is spoken of as the "Owen Sound Road." (See
also "Owen Sound to Durham and Mount Forest," and the article
GEORGIAN BAY, or LAKE MANITOU.
This beautiful sheet of water is in the Northwestern part of the
inhabited portion of Upper Canada, and lies between 40 deg. 30 min.
and 46 deg. North latitude, and 80 to 81 deg. 30 min. West longitude.
In its longest direction (N. W. and S. E.), it is 120 m. long,
with a pretty uniform breadth of 50 m. It comprises, therefore,
6,000 square miles of water exclusive of the long, landlocked
channel North of the Manitoulin Islands, known as the North Channel,
which is 150 miles long, and contains 1,700 square miles.
Name.-It is much to be regretted that the old name, familiar
both to the French traders and Indians of former days-Lake
Manitou-(the "lake of the Great Spirit") should be now almost
disused. It is, perhaps, not yet too late to remedy this want
of taste, and restore to the lake its proper name; and as
"Frontenac" has within the last fifty years been entirely
supplanted by "Ontario," the Algonquin name for the lowest in
our chain of the Great Lakes, we may hope that the insipid
"Georgian Bay" will gradually give way to the more vigorous and
appropriate name conferred by the Indians, who deemed its
waters and islands sacred to the Great Spirit. "Georgian Bay"
was so renamed after the Province came into the hands of the
British, out of compliment to George III.
Discovery and Exploration-Samuel de Champlain, Governor of
Canada, was probably the first white man who ever sailed over
the deep waters of Georgian Bay. Having, between 1603 and
1607, explored the St. Lawrence as far as Three Rivers, and
discovered and explored Lake Champlain in 1609; and having
already founded Quebec (3rd July, 1608), he bethought him of a
great Western exploring tour in 1615. He ascended the Ottawa
and reached Lake Nipissing by the portages, and descended the
French River to its mouth. His expedition was not altogether a
peaceful one. He was in league with the Algonquins, Hurons,
Ojibways, and Eries, and virtually at war with the Iroquois and
all their English and Indian allies. He had several
encounters with the Iroquois. He found the Hurons in possession
of the Northern and Eastern coasts and the Islands of the
Lake, having been driven thither with great slaughter by the
victorious Iroquois half a century before. In fact their "star
of empire" westward was only fully checked by the great battle
at Point Iroquois, on Lake Superior, in 1564, where the Iroquois
"Six Nations" (then, however, only five nations), were utterly
defeated by the Ojibways, aided by the fugitive Hurons. We have
no trace of the inhabitants on the shores of Georgian Bay anterior
to the Hurons and the Petuns. The latter occupied the Saugeen
Peninsula but were driven out by the Six Nations in 1650, and fled to
Missouri. The Huron tradition is that they came down from the
North and spread themselves on the shores of the Upper Lakes,
before the discovery of America-about 1450.
From the time of Champlain, Georgian Bay was little visited, except
by traders aud Indians. Jesuit missionaries early established
themselves on its shores. As early as the year of Champlain's first
visit, a Recollet Father preached to the Indians at Matchedash Bay.
In fact, Champlain brought Jesuit missionaries with him, who could
either preach or fight, as occasion seemed to require. More than a
century ago a flourishing mission existed on the largest of the group
now known as the Christian Islands. Some small stone ruins of their
buildings are still visible. The mission was ruined by the victorious
and implacable Iroquois, then in the height of their power, and it is
said some of the converts were tortured to death; whence the Hurons,
and their friends the Ojibways, have ever since called the group
"THE CHRISTIANS' ISLANDS." Shortly before the breaking out of the
American Revolution when Sir William Johnston was virtual
Dictator among the Indians of North America, a Grand Council
was called; and as all the tribes were then at peace, delegates came
from all quarters. Among others, a deputation came down Georgian Bay
from the north Shores, landed at Cape Rich, struck across, to Christian
Islands, ascended the Severn River, crossed Lake Simcoe, descended
probably the Trent, crossed the foot of Lake Ontario, and ascended
the Oswego River to the place of meeting, among the lakes of N. York.
During the war of 1812, a small Naval depot was established at
Penetanguishene on the Eastern shores of Georgian Bay. In 1817
Lieut. (afterwards Admiral) Bayfield, having already assisted
Capt. Owen for two years in the exploration of the Lakes, became an
Admiralty Surveyor, and was appointed to the survey of Erie and Huron,
incuding Georgian Bay. He spent six years in this work; and the accuracy
of his charts is a theme of wonder and congratulation to the present
day to all navigators.
Its Navigation.-When the settlements first began on the South shores of
Georgian Bay, the only vessels navigating its waters were occasional
trading schooners among the Islands, gathering furs, feathers, cranberries,
maple sugar, fish, &c. from the Indians, and giving them manufactures
in return. One of these, the "Wanderer" of Coldwater; McGregor, master,
is noted in the annals of Owen Sound as the first vessel that is known
to have called at the port. The "Fly," W. C. Boyd, owner-the "St. Joseph's,"
Messrs. McNab, owners-the "Anne Brown," George Brown, owner-the "Eliza White,"
Messrs. Stephens, owners- all of Owen Sound, and the "Ann," of Meaford,
kept up, till 1845, communication between the S. W. shores of the Lake
and Penetanguishene and Coldwater, from whence communication was had
with Lake Simcoe and Toronto. In 1843 a little Government Steamer
looked into Owen Sound; but it was not till 1845 that any regular
running steam vessel appeared. In that year Chas. Thompson, Esq.,
brought on the Steamer "Gore," which made regular weekly trips from
Penetanguishene, to Owen Sound and Sault Ste Marie, up to 1851.
In 1852, the fine Steamer "Belle," intended to replace the "Gore", was
wrecked on Cape Croker. The "Detroit," the "Telegraph," the "Kaloolah," the
"Ploughboy," the "Rescue," the "Algoma," the "Bruce" and the "Georgian,"
have, at different times, and for longer or shorter periods, run
on the same route though latterly Collingwood has become the
first port of departure, instead of Penetanguishene.
In the winter of 1854-5, the Northern Railway was finished to
Collingwood; and in the latter part of May, 1855, the
"Louisiana," the pioneer Steamer of the Chicago line, arrived
at Collingwood. The line consisted at first of four large
sidewheel Steamers. Afterward a line of propellors was substituted;
but for two or three years past the Company have ceased to subsidize
or employ steamers at a loss, and the communication with Chicago has been
mainly kept up by large Schooners which come down with cereals
and take back lumber. Since 1855 a daily Steamer has plied
between Collingwood and Owen Sound, calling at Meaford and
Cape Rich. The "Mazeppa," the "Oxford," the "Canadian" and the "Clifton,"
have, at various times, been employed on this service.
General Aspect, Depth, Islands, &c.-Georgian Bay is 578 feet
above the level of the sea, there being no difference between
it and Lake Huron. It is 800 feet deep in the wider parts. Its
great depth accounts for the coldness of its waters, on which
the summer sun seems to have little influence. Its chief
entrance is between isle of Coves (on the N. point of which is a
first class revolving light) and Fitzwilliam Island, or rather the
small Yeo Island, S. of the latter. The channel is six miles
wide. There are three islands at the mouth of Colpoy's Bay,
Griffeths Island (on E. point of which is a Lighthouse), White Cloud,
and Hay Islands; in the Eastern part of the Lake, Christian island,
Beckwith I., Hope I., Pr. Wm. Henry I., Parry I., the Western Isles, the
Limestone Islands; and many thousands of small granite Islands,
lining the coast and filling the Inlets, from Penetanguishene to
the French River. This latter part of the coast is utterly
worthless for Agricultural purposes. From 10 to 20 m. inland,
the land grows a little better. It is uninhabited, except at
two or three lumbering Stations, where Sawmills are erected.
In the North and Northwestern part of the Lake are Lonely, Club, Squaw,
Halfmoon, Fitzwilliam, Cove, Bear's Rump, and Flower Pot Islands,
and others of less importance.
In the North Channel are others, some of which are of
several miles extent. The County of Grey occupies by far the
larger portion of the south shore. The shores of the Saugeen
Peninsula, bordering on Georgian Bay, are generally "bold," a
rocky escarpment, facing the East, following the bend of the
shore, with generally a narrow wooded slope between the cliff
and the water. The Eastern shores of the Lake present a
granite formation. There are many valuable fisheries in
Georgian Bay. The Fisheries at Collingwood, Cape Rich and
Vail's Point, are those conducted on the largest scale. At
many of the Islands in the Northern part, much fishing is done.
As the restriction on taking lakefish at certain seasons, do not
extend to the Lake Huron waters, Georgian Bay fish are in much
request at times when fishing is prohibited in Lakes Erie and Ontario.
Georgian Bay is justly celebrated for its clear bracing air and
beautiful scenery. A trip from Collingwood or Owen Sound through
the North Channel, to Sault Ste. Marie, presents some of the
finest lake and island scenery that can be imagined; and most
of the way in sheltered water. The route is becoming
fashionable; but the public have not been as well provided for
in the matter of good accommodation with the proper kind of
boats as they or the route deserved. The opening of the
"Georgian Bay Canal," or the "Ottawa Canal," or in process of time
of both those great works, will make this Northern Lake a most
important link in the great Marine Highway to the mighty West.
And, contrasting what LAKE MANITOU is now, with what it was twenty
years ago, when its blue waters were scarcely ploughed by a single keel,
it is difficult to predict what twenty more years may not do for it.
Situated on Lot 32, in the 2nd Con. of Melancthon, 6 1/2 m. directly
south of Singhampton, 6 1/2 m. North of Horning's Mills, and
1 1/2 m. from Osprey P. O. The mill was first put in operation
in 1861. One run of stones at present, but it is intended to
put in another run. The building is frame, 56 x 30 feet, and 4
stories in height. It is often called, after the name of the
Proprietor, "Plewes' Mill." Waterpower is supplied by a fork of
the Mad River, which falls into the main stream a little above Cremore.
PLEWES, WILLIAM, Proprietor Glandore Mills.
Plewes, John, Miller.
Reed, William, Millwright.
GLASCOTT P. O.
A Postoffice in the Township of Glenelg, 5 m. East of Garafraxa Road,
at Griffin's Corners, and on the Road leading from the Garafraxa Road
through the north part of Glenelg to Cornabuss, on the Toronto Line.
It is 7 m. from the latter place, 13 m. from Durham, and 25 m. from
Owen Sound. The P. O. was established in 1863. Mail every Saturday
to and from Latona P. O., on Garafraxa Road. John English, Postmaster.
These are the Falls of the "Rocky Saugeen" River, in Glenelg,
about the centre of the Township. The river, a pretty and swift
flowing stream, becomes very rapid, and then plunges over the
rocks in a perpendicular fall of 16 feet. The cascade is considered
very pleasing. There is a Sawmill near the property of H. Rowswell. Esq.,
of Durham. Glenelg Falls are 8 m. N. E. of Durham, 2 m. up the
stream from Chaffey's Mills, and about 3 E. of the Garafraxa Road.
GLENELG P. O. (See "Latona")
The Township of Glenelg lies somewhat central in the County,
having Holland on the north, Artemisia on the East, Egremont
on the South, and Bentinck on the West. It was settled about
the same time as the central and Southern Townships of Grey,
viz.: about the year 1850, and received an unusual proportion of
immigrants from Ireland and the Highlands of Scotland. The
names of reidents will show this fact. At elections, the
Returning Officers have often to invent distinctive
appellations for several persons of the same name who come
forward to vote. In population, Glenelg stood third in the
County at the Census of 1861, being set down at 3,065. The
first settlements were on the several roads touching or running
through the township, on which "free grants" were made by the
Government. The reader is referred to "Durham," "Garafraxa",
and "Toronto" Roads for further information regarding them.
Glenelg was surveyed by John Stoughton Dennis, Esq.,
P. L. S. in 1850. The land is generally rolling. Many of the
farms are yet far from being cleared up. The Western part of
the township, along the Garafraxa Road, is pretty stony, an
almost universal feature on this Road but not so much so
elsewhere in the township. The survey of the township, on
account of the three Roads above named, shows no fewer than four
"first," "second" and "third" Concessions; so that in the list
which follows, we have been obliged to keep these four Systems
distinct to avoid the multiplication of initial letters to
distinguish thc different surveys-a thing very puzzling to a
person consulting the work to find someones locality.
There are Postoffices at Durham, Latona, Glascott, Pomona, and
Cornabuss. There are three Sawmills on the "Rocky Saugeen",
Travis's, Rowswell's, and Chaffey's.
Census Reports.-Occupiers of land in 1861, 486; of whom 141
held from 50 to 100 acres each, and 330 from 100 to 200 acres
each. Acres under cultivation, 11,677. Spring Wheat, 56,590
bushels. Barley, 1,095 bushels. Pease, 7,025 bushels.
Oats, 32,961 bushels. Potatoes, 54,454 bushels. Turnips,
121,370 bushels. Hay, 1,476 tons. Maple Sugar, 11,321 lbs.
Wool 5,306 lbs. Butter, 40,230 lbs. Cheese, 1,527 lbs.
Municipal Officers.-Reeve, James Edge, (Bentinck P. O.)
Deputy Reeve, S. B. Chaffey, (Bentinck P. O.)
Councillors- J. McKechnie, W. Purdy, F. Walker.
Clerk- James Brown, (Bentinck P. O.)
Treasurer, Archibald Hunter, (Bentinck P. O.)
Magistrates-Wm. Morrison, S. B. Chaffey, James McGirr, Arch'd Black,
John McIlroy, John W. Reid, Neil McConnell.
Schools.-Union School No.2, (part Bentinck.) Jane Stewart, Teacher.
House, log. Furnished with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864,
from both townships, 15.
Union 5. No.3, (part Bentinck) William Campbell, Teacher.
House, log. Furnished with Maps, &C. Average attendance for
1864, 22, (from both townships.)
Section No.1. Charles McArthur, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &C. Average attendance for 1864, 28.
Section No.2. John McKechnie, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &C. Average attendance for 1864, 27.
Section No. 3. Lachlin Rose, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 37.
Section No. 4. Cecilia McGrath, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps, &C. Average attendance for six months of 1864, 22.
Section No.5. John Allan, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with
Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 28.
Section No.9. Sarah Lowther, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with
Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 24.
Section No.10. Elizabeth Wilson, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps, &C. Average attendance for 1864, 18.
R. C. Separate School, No. 5. Thomas Milroy, Teacher. No Returns.
R. C. Separate School, No. 7. Lachlin Black, Teacher. No Returns.
For No.1 Union, Male, Bentinck and Glenelg, and No. 1, Female, do. do.,
see Bentinck. For No. 1 Union, Artemisia and Glenelg, see Artemisia.
NOTE."Freeholder" and "Householder" are not given in the following
lists, for the same reasons given under Bentinck and Egremont. A few
are also given under 21 years of age. We beg the young men's pardon,
till their majority arrives.
East of Garafraxa Road.
Appleby, Mark 1 5
Andrews, Mary Ann 2 65
Andrews, James 2 65
Actor, Robert 3 39
Allen, James 3 49
Allen, Robert 3 49
Allen, John 3 49
Actor, James 3 61
Anderson, James 3 31
Barry, John 3 9
Black, James 3 18
Brosnan, Dennis 3 5
Brosnan, John 3 5
Bronan, Patrick 3 5
Bell, Wm. 2 39
Boyd, Allan 1 12
Burgess, James 1 21
Banks, Jabez 2 41
Cameron, John 1 8
Convell, Arch. 1 9
Clabury, Jas. H. 1 14
Cope, Samuel 1 28
Campbell, James 2 29
Campbell, John 2 29
Crage, James 2 34
Collier, Richard 2 55
Culberson, Thomas 2 67
Carson, James 2 69
Carson, John 2 70
Cofield, Patrick 3 10
Cannell, Arch'd 3 15
Chaffey, Samuel B. 3 28
Curlett, Edward 3 50
Cook, Smith 3 62
Condor, Bart 3 69
Collier, Thomas 3 48
Davis, John 3 46
Danochy, Thomas 3 6
Dillon, James 2 49
Duthie, George 2 52
Davis, Thomas 2 53
Duncan, John 2 9
Donohoe, Daniel 1 13
Dinsmore, Nathan 1 14
Dinsmore, J. C. 1 15
Edge, Samuel 2 42
Edge, James 2 43
Ennis, Wm. 2 56
Ellison, John 3 19
Ellison, James 3 20
Firth, Joseph 3 43
Firth, Daniel 3 44
Foley, Michael 3 33
Farr, Henry 2 54
Foley, Hugh 2 32
Grant, Arch'd 1 10
Gray, Jane 1 29
Gray, John 1 30
Gray, Charles 1 30
Greenwood, Wm. 2 37
Greenwood, John 3 45
Griffin, Bartholomew 1 1
Halfpenny, John 2 34
Hunter, Alex., Jr. 1 23
Hunter, Alex., Sr. 1 23
Hall, Henry 1 13
Jones, George 1 1
Jeseman, John 1 3
Jackson, David 1 24
Jackson, David, Jr. 1 24
Kingston, John 3 25
Kingston, Ann 3 26
Kennedy, Alex 1 11
Kingston, Wm. 3 27
Leslie, John 1 29
Ledingham, George 2 1
Ledingham, James 2 3
Leitch, Malcolm 2 11
Leitch, George 2 12
Leitch, Donald 2 13
Lindsay, Joseph 2 34
Lindsay, Andre 3 60
Lamb, George 3 32
Matthews, John 3 68
Matthews, George 2 68
Morrison, Peter 3 13
Morthy, Edward 2 19
Morrison, Wm 2 35
Morrison, Duncan 2 5
Morrison, Malcolm 2 7
Morrison, John 2 6
Morden, John 1 18
Myghton, Joseph 1 19
Myghton, Charles 1 17
McCallum, Alex 1 11
McColl, Hugh 1 12
McCormick, Donald 1 13
McLean, Alex 1 14
McKechnie, Arch'd 1 14
McIlroy, John 1 15
McCormick, John 1 19
McArthur, Alex 1 20
McArthur, Colin 1 20
McConvell, James 1 1
McConvell, James, Jr. 1 1
McGillivray, Arch 1 2
McFarland, John 1 6
McFarland, Allan 1 7
McArthur, John 1 22
McArthur, Angus 1 22
McKechnie, Hector 2 16
McInnis, Hugh 2 18
McDonald, Donald 2 21
McDonald, Neil 2 22
McKechnie, Neil 2 23
McDonald, Duncan 2 24
McDonald, Arch 2 24
McDonald, Donald 2 25
McDonald, Alex 2 26
McCormick, John 2 27
McFadyn, Hugh 2 46
McFadyn, John 2 47
McFadyen, Donald 2 48
McFadyen, Colin 2 47
McSirr, James 2 61
McSirr, Wm. 2 62
McSirr, James 2 64
McLean, Lachlin 3 11
McMillan, Arch. 3 12
McKechnie, Donald 3 16
McTaggart, John 3 17
McInnis, Angus 3 21
McKenzie, Kenneth 3 22
McAnally, John 3 34
McCracken, Wm 3 47
McKenna, Michael 3 8
McGirr, Andrew 3 63
Nichol, Walter 2 66
Norris, John 1 12
Patterson, James 1 28
Perry, Robert 2 60
Putherbough, George 3 36
Ryan, George 2 45
Robertson, Adam J. 2 50
Ritchie, John 2 60
Ritchie, Wm. 2 36
Smith, James 1 1
Skean, John 1 3
Smith, Duncan 1 4
Smilie, Wm. 1 22
Smith, Thomas 2 15
Stuart, John 2 63
Swinburne, John 2 56
Sullivan, John 3 1
Sullivan, Michael 3 2
Sullivan, Eugene 3 3
Smith, Wm. 3 30
Scott, Samuel 3 66
Scott, Andrew 3 66
Scott, Robert 3 67
Staples, George 3 41
Turnbull, Alex 1 20
Vasie, Wm. 1 21
Vasie, Wm. Jr. 1 21
Vasie, John 1 21
Vaughan, James 2 31
Williams, Christopher 3 38
Watson, Peter 2 57
Watson, Charles 2 57
Williams, Henry 2 38
Wilkie, John 2 14
Walker, Wm. 1 29
Weir, Adam 3 51
Weir, John 3 52
Young, James 2 3
West of Toronto and Sydenham Road.
Armstrong, Wm. 2 101
Armstrong, Mark 1 101
Caswell, Robert 1 103
Campbell, Thomas 1 97
Caswell, John 2 103
Caswell, Wm. 2 104
Dobie, Wm. 1 99
Douglas, James 2 88
Dodds, Mrs. M. A. 2 96
Fraser, Donald 3 101
Hill, John 1 110
Hamilton, John 2 105
Irenton, Samuel 2 89
Irenton, Richard 2 91
Irenton, Samuel 2 92
Irenton, George 2 93
Lowe, Patrick 2 106
Littlejohn, Charles 2 108
Lowe, Robert 3 87
Lowe, Thomas 3 88
Mitchell, Reuben 3 99
Miller, Isaac 1 106
May, John 1 110
McFadden, Robert 1 82
McDuffie, Donald 1 98
McFarland, W. J. 1 101
McBride, Robert 3 100
O'Hanly, Dugald 3 93
Rogers, James 1 89
Ritchie, Wm. 1 101
Reynolds, Andrew 1 101
Reynolds, Clark 1 101
Rutledge, Edward 3 108
Rutledge, Wm. 3 110
Smith, Wm. 2 107
Smart, Samuel 3 102
Smith, Charles 2 84
Smith, Wm. 1 94
Sheil, Henry 3 85
Turnbull, James 3 83
Tory, Robert 3 91
Van Felsen, Charles 1 100
Van Felsen, George 1 100
Worrod, Mrs. 1 101
Walker, Robert 2 81
Walker, Wm. 2 82
South of Durham Road.
Allen, Henry 2 14
Algeo, Robert 4 1
Boak, John S. 3 53
Boak, Jesse 2 48
Bell, Alex 3 6
Bell, Robert 3 7
Bell, Andrew 3 7
Boam, Edward 3 28
Bray, Patrick 2 13
Black, Christina 1 28
Black, Duncan 1 14
Brown, John 1 18
Boyd, Dugald 1 20
Chrislet, Samuel 2 29
Cameron, Neil 1 8
Curry, Dugald 1 50
Curry, Thomas 1 51
Critchley, Henry 3 3
Dimond, James 3 15
Dobie, Arch'd 3 32
Flannigan, Patrick 3 14
Flowers, Henry 3 37
Fisher, James 2 47
Flood, Christopher 1 4
Gillespie, Mrs. Mary 3 46
Gray, Thomas 1 19
Higgins, James 2 1
Hartford, Bernard 2 20
Hooper, Isaac 2 31
Hall, Wm. 2 19
Harrison, Thomas 3 17
Hall, John 3 19
Jacques, Joseph 4 7
Keeland, John 1 45
Livingston, Duncan 1 24
Livingston, John 1 30
Lawrence, Henry 2 2
Langrill, Wm. 2 3
Lawrence, Samuel 2 5
Lawrence, James 3 1
Little, Wm. 3 25
Lawrence, John 2 2
Moore, James 2 12
Morrison, Duncan 2 40
Martin, John 2 8
McCallum, Arch'd 1 17
McComb, Alex 1 13
McArthur, Arch'd 1 10
McFadyen, Donald 1 1
McInnis, Dugald 1 22
McInnis, John 1 22
McArthur, Arch'd 1 23
McArthur, Peter 1 29
McArthur, Alex 1 29
McDonald, Arch'd 1 35
McDonald, Robert 1 40
McArthur, John 1 41
McArthur, Arch'd 1 41
McLachlan, John 1 43
McLachlan, Neil 1 46
McArthur, Duncan 1 38
McNee, Robert 2 4
McDonald, Lachlin 2 6
McColl, John 2 21
McCage, Hugh 2 25
McLeod, Alex 2 33
McLeod, Wm. 2 32
McCannell, Neil 2 34
McQuaig, Fin]ay 2 38
McArthur, John 2 41
McDonald, James 2 46
McKinnon, John 2 50
McKinnon, Hector 2 51
McDougall, Allan 2 53
McPhail, John 3 40
McKechnie, Alex 3 41
McDonald, Mrs. C. 3 43
McDonald, Hugh 3 43
McDonald, Donald 3 43
McIntyre, Robert 3 48
McDonald, James 3 50
McDougall, Donald 3 51
McKinnon, John 4 18
McPhail, Neil 4 20
McPhail, Alex 4 22
McPhail, John 4 24
McLean, Hector 4 26
O'Donnell, Lawrence 1 3
Pringle, David 1 11
Robertson, Arch'd 1 47
Robertson, John 1 48
Rynas, George 4 3
Stonehouse, Martin 3 34
Stonehouse, James 3 36
Stonehouse, Crispin 1 32
Salter, James 1 16
Tucker, John 2 27
Tucker, George 2 28
Tucker, Henry 4 16
Tucker, James 4 17
Waterson, John 2 24
Whitmore, Thomas 2 11
Wilson, John 4 14
Wilson, George 1 25
North of Durham Road.
Averill, Thomas 10 23
Arrowsmith, Samuel 4 5
Anderson, George 5 5
Arrowsmith, Thomas 5 20
Armstrong, Eliza 2 21
Anderson, Wm. 6 18
Anderson, Thomas 6 19
Allen, John 7 12
Bennie, Thomas 2 2
Barry, James 15 3
Boyle, Francis 14 6
Beck, Philip 14 1
Bell, Wm. 13 16
Bell, James 13 16
Brown, Thomas 11 21
Brown, Isaac 11 23
Brown, James 12 22
Boyce, Shepherd 11 24
Brown, Robert 11 23
Black, John 12 10
Black, Joseph 10 16
Burns, James 11 9
Burgess, Wm. 8 8
Black, Lachlin 8 24
Blair, Thomas 6 6
Blackwell, Walter 5 9
Burnett, Wm. 5 10
Black, Duncan 5 16
Burnet, David 4 1
Burnet, Mrs. M. 4 2
Burnet, James 4 4
Beaton, Donald 4 14
Beaton, Alex 4 15
Black, Neil 4 16
Black, John 4 16
Black, Joseph 4 23
Black, John 4 24
Beaton, Malcolm 3 15
Beaton, Arch'd 3 24
Beaton, Angus 3 25
Beaton, James 3 25
Black, Donald 2 37
Butters, Arch'd 2 40
Butters, Alex 2 40
Beaton, Mrs. F. 3 10
Beaton, John 2 11
Black, Neil 2 34
Black, Alex 1 10
Black, Arch'd 1 13
Black, Lachin 1 38
Barnett, John 1 51
Barnett, Arch'd 1 51
Black, Angus 1 10
Campbell, Alex 2 10
Campbell, John 1 5
Crage, Lewis 1 7
Campbell, Allan 1 9
Cameron, James 1 23
Chaplain, John 2 13
Cameron, John 2 22
Cameron, Neil 2 23
Cameron, Alex 2 41
Cameron, Malcolm 2 41
Cameron, Allan 3 7
Cameron, Donald 4 22
Currie, Donald 5 17
Cook, Abraham 6 7
Cushnie, John 6 9
Cox, Thomas 7 5
Cox, George 7 5
Cox, L. 7 5
Cushnie, George 7 9
Connelly, Patrick 7 21
Connelly, Thomas 7 21
Campbell, Angus 9 17
Connor, Thomas 12 1
Callahan, Eugene 12 15
Coffie, Patrick 13 1
Cummings, Moses 13 5
Cummings, Dennis 13 6
Calvert, John 14 17
Collier, George 15 8
Ditner, Lewis 13 7
Ditner, Augustine 13 11
Dillon, Michael 11 16
Dillon, Michael, Jr. 11 16
Donnelly, Samuel 11 18
Doolan, Morris 9 11
Darcy, Miles 9 12
Dunn, Martin 8 9
Darcy, Peter 7 14
Doyle, John 7 15
Davis, Benj 3 1
Davis, David 3 3
Davis, John 3 2
Dunn, George 3 5
Edwards, Thomas 6 8
Edge, Elias 7 8
English, John 15 6
Edge, George 6 1
Furnix, John 11 2
Fardin, Phelan 9 20
Fletcher, Wm. 8 4
Falkingham, Henry 7 10
Falkingham, Charles 6 2
Falkingham, James 6 3
Falkingham, Joseph 6 4
Follis, John 5 11
Fogarty, Andrew 4 11
Gallagher, John 13 17
Gillies, Neil 2 43
Gillies, Angus 2 47
Graham, Donald 3 22
Graham, John 3 22
Garvey, Michael 6 24
Grady, Edward 9 22
Goodwell, Anthony 12 9
Gatty, Ignatius 13 9
Hies, Martin 13 8
Henderson, Wm. 12 4
Hagen, James 12 21
Hewitt, Joseph 10 22
Hastie, Robert 9 14
Healy, Richard 7 15
Healy, Nicholas 6 15
Healy, Patrick 6 15
Hefferin, Michael 4 21
Jameson, Wm. 5 4
Jerdan, Robert 5 7
Jack, Richard 8 5
Johnson, Ronald 8 22
Kennedy, Patrick 15 10
Kerby, James 6 27
Kennedy, Donald 1 8
Kennedy, Colin 1 8
Lauder, Thomas 1 11
Leitch, Arch'd 12 2
Leitch, Angus 12 8
Lamont, Neil 11 3
Leitch, John 11 8
Leonard, James 8 28
Lively, John 7 21
Laurie, Robt. 7 13
Lauder, James 5 12
Laidlaw, James 5 2
Morrison, Neil 5 18
Martin, Alex 6 16
Morrow, Wm. 14 7
Martin, Philip 7 16
Martin, Patrick 7 16
Murphy, John 8 13
Murphy, Joseph 8 15
Martin, William 8 20
Maggitt, Philip 9 9
Maggitt, John 9 9
Martin, John 9 21
Morrison, John 3 34
Murchison, Alex 3 41
Murchison, Malcolm 3 41
Murchison, Donald 3 44
Muir, Donald 1 33
Millsap, Wm. 11 22
McArthur, Donald 1 15
McCormick, Hugh 1 19
McKinnon, Donald 1 21
McEwen, Lawrence 1 30
McLachlan, John 1 31
McInnis, Malcolm 1 35
McInnis, Allan 1 36
McInnis, Duncan 1 37
McNee, Donald 1 38
McArthur, Colin 1 39
McDonald, Arch'd 1 41
McDonald, John 1 42
McDonald, Charles 1 41
McLeod, Neil 1 43
McLachlan, Malcolm 1 44
McKechnie, Donald 1 45
McKechnie, John 1 47
McLean, Donald 1 54
McNab, James 2 5
McGillivray, John 2 9
McGillivray, Duncan 2 9
McArthur, Alex 2 17
McLachlan, Angus 2 19
McLellan, Hugh 2 27
McIntyre, Duncan 2 28
McIntyre, Norman 2 28
McMillan, Angus 2 29
McMillan, John 2 30
McMillan, Murdoch 2 31
McMillan, Donald 2 31
McMillan, Matthew 2 35
McMillan, Malcolm 2 35
McMillan, Nancy 2 36
McQuarrie, Alex 2 45
McQuarrie, John 2 45
McQuarrie, James 2 45
McQuarrie, Alex 2 47
McDougall, Duncan 2 46
McPhail, Hugh 2 48
McDonald, Hugh 2 48
McPhee, Neil 2 52
McLean, Allan 2 54
McKinnon, Malcolm 3 9
McGillivray, James 3 11
McMillan, Isaac 3 13
McGillivray, Donald 3 11
McGillivray, John 3 11
McGillivray, John 3 17
McGillivray, Dugald 3 19
McDonald, John 3 20
McDonald, John, Jr. 3 20
McArthur, James 3 26
McArthur, Hugh 3 27
McArthur, Alex 3 28
McDonald, Alex 3 32
McDonald, Roderick 3 39
McPherson, Ronald 3 40
McDonald, Donald 3 48
McDonald, Allan 3 45
McDonald, Alex 3 48
McClellan, John 3 53
McLean, John 3 54
McInnis, Donald 3 55
McNab, Duncan 4 6
McNab, Hugh 4 7
McArthur, Duncan 4 7
McVicar, Angus 4 13
McIsaac, Murdoch 4 27
McRae, Finlay 4 17
McDonald, Godfrey 4 18
McDonald, Arch'd 4 19
McPherson, John 4 20
McTaggart, John 4 25
McInnis, Allan 4 27
McCarthy, Daniel 12 18
McKechnie, Donald 10 6
McFarland, John 10 7
McDonald, Donald 10 8
McCormick, John 10 14
McCormick, James 10 15
McPhee, John 10 15
McKee, Hugh 10 21
McKechnie, Alex 11 15
McDonald, John 11 6
McKechnie, John 11 7
McDonald, Donald 11 13
McDonald, John 11 13
McCarthy, John 11 15
McAnnelly, James 9 7
McDonald, Angus 9 16
McIntyre, Alex 9 24
McDonald, John 9 23
McKechnie, Donald 10 3
McDougall, Arch. 10 4
McKechnie, Duncan 10 4
McCascy, John 7 26
McGirrell, James 7 27
McCasey, Thos. 7 26
McDonald, Hugh 8 1
McGrade, Thos. 8 11
McDonald, Donald 8 17
McClelland, Angus 8 23
McGaskell, Donald 8 23
McLachlan, Patrick 6 21
McAnnally, Thos 7 6
McDonald, Angus 6 17
McInnis, Donald 4 27
McLouglin, Thos. 5 11
McLeod, John 5 15
McRae, Alex 5 16
McRae, Donald 5 16
McDonald, Neil 5 21
McCormick, Angus 3 21
McInnis, Malcolm 5 22
McKinnon, John 5 23
McTaggart, Godfrey 5 24
McQuarrie, Angus 13 4
McQuarrie, Lachlin 13 4
Norris, James 13 18
Norris, Michael 13 18
Neal, Patrick 5 13
Noble, James 10 26
Neil, Peter 4 10
Neil, Michael 4 10
O'Hanley, Murdoch 8 17
O'Hanley, Donald 9 23
O'Heron, Daniel 7 28
Orr, John 10 25
O'Donnell, Thomas 1 3
Priel, John 15 1
Peart, Emerson 8 7
Pendleton, James 1 50
Purdy, Wm. 5 17
Pemberton, Peter 5 27
Quirk, Cornelius 14 5
Quirk, Patrick 15 5
Quinlan, Thomas 6 11
Quinlan, John 6 14
Ryan, Henry 8 25
Ryan, John 7 27
Robertson, W. M. 4 12
Robertson, Arch'd 12 6
Robertson, Godfrey 12 6
Ryan, Timothy 6 26
Roach, Michael 15 2
Roach, Thos. 15 2
Sullivan, Michael 11 12
Shoebang, John 13 10
Smith, Robert 6 5
Sullivan, Patrick 6 15
Sullivan, James 5 25
Sullivan, Thomas 6 28
Shaw, Samuel 7 14
Sweeney, Patrick 4 9
Sinclair, John 3 49
Sinclair, Arch'd 3 52
Stoddart, Thomas 1 53
Scott, John 2 1
Scott, Samuel 1 26
Scott, Alex 1 28
Saunders, Robert 8 10
Smith, Charles 10 5
Travers, John 9 9
Thibadeau, John 10 2
Twohy, Patrick 8 19
Turnbull, Thomas 2 18
Townsend, Thomas 12 5
Thomas, John 13 2
Thomas, Henry 13 2
Thomas, Wm. 13 2
Timmons, Graham 7 4
Travers, Thomas 10 11
Vennard, John 7 2
Whitmore, Robert 7 2
Whitmore, Thos 1 2
Whitmore, Nathanial 1 2
Wright, Wm. 10 24
Wright, Thos. 11 19
Wells, James 6 13
Welsh, James 5 26
Welsh, Edward 5 28
Waterson, Robert 12 3
Walker, Francis 12 16
Washington, Elizabeth 1 52
Wilmer, Charles 3 29
Walls, James 7 20
Wilson, John 8 18
Webster, Jeremiah 9 15
Webster, Thomas 9 15
Webster, Wm. 9 15
A small village in the Southern part of the Township of St. Vincent,
5 m. South of Meaford, 24 m. from Owen Sound, 5 m. N. W. of Williamstown,
8 m. E. of Walter's Falls, 1/2 m. N. of the Town Line of Euphrasia, and
is 15 m. N. of Eugenia. The village has a Postoffice, store, tavern,
Tannery, a waggon and Agricultural Implement shop, blacksmith's shop,
weaver, and shoemaker. There is a very tasteful and commodious stone
school house, finished in 1864. On Sabbaths it is used for Divine worship by
the Anglican and Presbyterian denominations once in two weeks by
each; and occasionly by other bodies. Griersville was so named
by Messrs. James and Andrew Grier, who own the village site,
and reside there. It is on a well travelled road, between
Meaford and Eugenia, and where the road to Williamstown comes
in. Mails Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, to and from Meaford;
on Thursday to and from Epping; and on Tuesday and Saturday to and
from Blantyre and Walter's Falls. There are some excellent farms in
the neighbourhood of Griersville. Mr. Wilson's Hotel affords very
comfortable accommodation for travellers. Half a mile S., on the Town
Line of Euphrasia, on very elevated ground, is a frame Chapel
belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists.
Black, Donald, Farmer.
Brinkman, William, Boot and Shoe Maker.
GRIER, JAMES, J. P., Farmer.
GRIER, ANDREW, Postmaster, Common School Superintendent.
Lindsay, George, Teacher.
Malcom, Hamilton, Weaver.
Mitchell, Charles, Labourer.
MARSHALL & SMITH, Waggon-makers and Blacksmiths; Agricultural Implements;
sole Manufacturers in Co. of Grey of genuine "Modeland Plough".
Marshall, James, Waggon-maker (of Marshall & Smith).
McDonald, Miles, Farmer.
Mitchell, Robert, Farmer.
McLean, Robert, Proprietor Tannery.
Parker, Ephraim, Labourer.
Rowse, Wm., Farmer.
Smith, Philip, Blacksmith (of Marshall & Smith).
WILSON, JAMES L., Proprietor Griersville Hotel.
Wilson, Joseph, Labourer.
Wilson, John, Farmer.
An island about 2 m. in length from N.to S., lying 2m. N. of
Cape Commodore, the N. E. point of the Township of Keppel, and
somewhat in front of the entrance to Colpoy's Bay. It is Indian
territory, the title never having been acquired by the Government.
No Indians, however, reside on it, except occasionally in the
summer. About seven years ago the Government built a very
excellent lighthouse on the Eastern front of the island, the
blocks for which (white "Dolomite"), were obtained from the cliffs
West of Owen Sound town. The land on the island is elevated and well
covered with timber. Some swamps are said to exist on the table-land;
but the island is little visited, and only about the shores. The
Indians have a tradition that all the three islands were once
connected with each other and with Cape Croker peninsula. We
can say nothing as to the truth of this by hypothesis; for the
old Indians, whose boyhood learned it from their grandfathers,
can give us nothing more than the assertion of the doubtful fact.
The water is, however, by no means deep between White Cloud
and Hay islands; and when we remember what has been done in our own
day at Long Point and Toronto-islands being made where formerly
there were none, it is not impossible that a century or two ago
it may have been the case.
A hamlet on the Garafraxa Road, 9 m. N. of Durham, and 19 m. S.
of Owen Sound. Mr. B. Griffin, of Durham, kept a Tavern and
Store here for many year-hence the name. Latona is the nearest
P. O.; about 2 m. South. There is an Inn by T. Ready, a Store,
and a Blacksmith's Shop. In the immediate vicinity is a
Presbytenan Church, as also a Roman Catholic Church; both log.
McINTOSH, PHILIP, General dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &C.
McIntosh, John, Farmer.
McIntosh, Donald, Farmer.
McIntosh, Alex., Farmer.
McIntosh, Peter, Farmer.
Ready, T. Innkeeper
Smith, John, Blacksmith.
Smith, Donald, Farmer.
Smith, William, Farmer.
Smith, James, Farmer.
Smith, Alex, Farmer.
An important village on the "Durham Road," 11 m. West of
Durham and 7 m. East of Walkerton; on the County line between
Grey and Bruce, and partially in the latter County. The
Townships of Bentinck and Brant, between which Hanover lies,
contain many German settlers, and Hanover is largely composed of
The main stream of the Saugeen River runs with a Westerly course,
a quarter of a mile or so North of the village. The mills are
the property of H. P. Adams, Esq., and were built about nine
years ago. They consist of a Grist and Flouring Mill with two
run of stones; a Sawmill, and a Carding and Fulling Mill. The
milldam and the dwelling house of the proprietor are on the
Bentinck side, and the mills are on the Brant side of the road.
After the mills had been built a year or two, Mr. Adams,
A. Z. Gottwals, Esq., and the Messrs. Hahn, and others, laid out
portions of their property in village lots. This was in
1857. There was already a Tavern, Postoffice and store. The
name Hanover was bestowed by the Post Office Department.
"Adamsville," and other names were suggested, but the
Post-Office officials have always on hand a large array of
borrowed, original, and especially of ill-sounding names, and
on the slightest provocation throw one at the Post-Office that
has not been fortunate enough to select a name claimed by no one
else, and as short as it ought to be. "Hanover," however, is
appropriate enough for a British-German village, and is not
far away from "Hahnover," the name proposed by the Messrs. Hahn. The
place wears a thriving appearance. There are three well-stocked
Merchant Shops; a somewhat extensive Foundry; four Hotels;
a Brewery; the mills already mentioned, the new Cabinet factory
of Mr. Crispin, the machinery of which is driven by a small
stream winding through the village; 3 Waggon Makers, 4 Blacksmiths' shops,
6 Churches, 3 resident Clergymen, a Physician, &C., &C. An Orange Hall
is used for School purposes at present. Average attendance of resident
pupils, 58; The Foundry was established in 1863; it turns out ploughs,
kettles, stoves, &c. The population is about 400, and increasing.
Mails to and from Durham, Walkerton, Kincardine, &c., daily.
Elmwood and Carlshrue Post Offices, (in Co. Bruce), are also
supplied from Hanover. The Southern fork of the Saugeen (the "Maitland,"
of former days), falls into the main stream 1/4 mile East of the
"Corners." These streams afford ample scope for trout fishing, and
Hanover for several past seasons has been much visited by Anglers from
a distance. They could not get a pleasanter place to put up at.
ADAMS, H. P.; Proprietor Grist Mill, Sawmill, and Fulling Mill.
Adams, G. W.. Carpenter, near the mills.
Black, Garret, Farmer.
Beckwith, George, House Carpenter.
Barry, Andrew, Cabinet Maker.
Buck, Abraham, Farmer.
Buttrel, James, Labourer.
Bottenhorn, Henry, Tailor.
Bomes, Frederick, Brickmaker.
Blackwell, Thomas, Saddler.
Black, Thomas, Farmer.
Campbell, D., Carder.
Clark, William, Labourer.
Crispin, James, Tanner.
Coppinger, Thomas, Sawyer.
Cross, Rev. William, Wesleyan Methodist.
CRISPIN, THOMAS, Proprietor Cabinet and Chair Factory.
Campbell, Donald, Farmer.
Campbell, Thomas, Farmer.
Campbell, John, Farmer.
CAMPBELL, DUNCAN, General Merchant, Township Clerk for Bentinck.
Clark, James, Waggon-maker.
Carter, John, Brickmaker
Doberer, A., Tailor
DAVIS, J.B., Somerset Farm, Hanover
Devlin, William, Carpenter
Dresch, Valentine, Farmer.
Derby, William, Blacksmith.
Eberth, John, Proprietor "Farmers' Home" Hotel, and Brewer.
Farmers' Home Hotel, John Eberth, Proprietor.
Freeman, James, Boot and Shoemaker.
Goodeve, Charles F. & Co., General Merchants.
Goodeve, Charles F. (of C. F. Goodeve & Co.)
Goodeve, Edward A. (of C. F. Goodeve & Co.)
Grooms, Elijah, Carpenter.
Graf, F. W., Boot and Shoemaker.
Gibson, John, Farmer.
Grooms, John, Carpenter.
GOTTWALS, A. Z , Postmaster.
GOTTWALS, J. Z.; Builder.
Hett, Conrad, Turner.
Haertel, John, labourer.
Husher, William, Boot and Shoemaker.
HANOVER HOTEL, J. McGaw, Proprietor.
HAHN, CHRISTOPHER, Proprietor Hahn's Hotel.
Hood, John, Saddler.
Hahn, John, Farmer.
Hahn, Joseph Farmer.
Hausenyager, Christopher, Farmer.
Johnson, John, Carpenter.
Keiner, John, Potter.
Kern, Chris., Tailor.
KALBFLEISCH & LAUTENSCHLAGER, General Merchants.
Laidlaw, James, Farmer.
Laidlaw, George, Carpenter.
LAUTENSCHLAGER, PHILIP, (of Kalbfleisch & Lautenschlager.)
Miller, George, Machinist.
MUNRO, G. M., Conveyancer and Notary Public.
Miller, Jacob, Mason.
McLachlin, A., Sawyer.
McNally, Samuel, Blacksmith.
McNally, Robert, Waggon-maker.
McKay, John, Carpenter.
McGAW, JOSEPH, Proprietor "Hanover Hotel."
Nuert, Valentine, Cooper.
Norsworthy, Samuel, Boot and Shoemaker.
Opperthauser, Conrad, Waggon-maker
Opperthauser, Henry, Farmer.
Peers, George G., Tinsmith.
Patterson, William, Labourer.
Stumpf, Rev. John, Baptist (German).
Sach, Frederick, Mason and Plasterer.
Schuman, F., Boot and Shoemaker.
Small, William, Carpenter.
Spry, John, Labourer.
Stewart, Charles, Shoemaker.
SCARBOROUGH, CHARLES. Proprietor Hanover Brick Yard.
Thornlow, H., Miller, Adams' Mills
Wagner, Anthony, Blacksmith.
Wright, Samuel, Innkeeper.
Young, Thomas, Carpenter.
Young, Simon, Tailor.
Yost, Ferdinand, Teamster.
Often called "Williamstown." A village in the Township of Collingwood,
at the town-line of Euphrasia. It is situated in the valley of the
Beaver River, and the stream runs through the village. The river is
placid in its course through the village, but there are some mill
privileges (unemployed) in the immediate neighbourhood. There is at
present no machinery at Williamstown; and the place is not apparently
as progressive as was anticipated for it a few years ago. Still, from
the fine settlement round it, it must in time become a place of
business. Almost the only buildings erected for the last five
years have been in the way of Churches and Halls; and these,
for so small a place, are very creditable. There is a new
Presbyterian Church (Rev. John Gould, of Thornbury, Minister),
and a new Episcopal Church (Rev. J. Hutchinson, of Meaford,
Minister), scarcely yet finished. We note also a neat Episcopal
Methodist Church, a Friends' Meeting House, and an Orange
Hall (frame). In the village is a Postoffice (Division Court
office in same building), two Stores, a Tavern, a Blacksmith,
Shoe maker, &C. At the Postoffice is kept a Section of the
Township Library of Collingwood. The village is a sort of
"headquarters" for summer tourists, who come to fish for speckled
trout in the far-famed Beaver River. The stream may be waded and
fished for miles in either direction. Mail on Tuesday and Saturday,
to and from Thornbury. "Heathcote" is the name of the Postoffice, and
will probably quite supersede "Williamstown," especially as the
latter name is already applied to a Post-town in Glengarry. It
is 10 m. S.E. of Meaford, 5 m. E. of Griersville, 5 m. W. of
Thornbury, 3 1/2. W. of Clarksburg, 17 m. from Collingwood, and
29 m. from Owen Sound.
Bradbury, Luke, Boot and Shoemaker.
Donaldson, Wm., Blacksmith.
FLEMING, WILLIAM, Innkeeper.
HEWISH, WILLIAM C., General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries,
&c., Commissioner for taking Affidavits.
Loughead, Warren, Farmer.
McCARROLL, REBECCA, General Dealer in Dry Goods and Groceries.
Orange Hall, Lodge No. 523.
RORKE, WILLIAM, Notary Public Conveyancer, &c.
RORKE, THOMAS J., Postmaster; Clerk of 4th Division Court, Grey.
RORKE, RICHARD, Township Clerk for Collingwood.
Wilson, George, Farmer.
Wilson, James, Farmer.
HOATH HEAD P. O.
A Post-office in the Southern part of the Township of Sydenham, 8 m.
from Owen Sound, from whence it is supplied with mails every Saturday.
Robert Hoath, Postmaster.
Bill Martin, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
My Site Map