CENTRE ROAD, DERBY.
In the old maps, and in others which, though not old, are carelessly got up,
is a line of road from the Garafraxa Road, near where Johntown now stands,
in a diagonal direction to Southampton. Such a line was at one time
contemplated, and actually surveyed (at least as far as the County Line of
Bruce). Nothing more, however, was done with it; and when Sullivan was
surveyed, Mr. Rankin-who surveyed the northern part of it-was directed to
pull up the stakes and make a square survey of the township. But, though
communication was not needed between Southampton town plot and the centre
of the County of Grey, communication was still needed with Owen Sound and
the navigation of Georgian Bay. An attempt was made a dozen years ago to
get a direct road opened out between the two towns, and the Indians were
induced to cede a half-mile strip adjoining the northern limit of Derby and
Arran. Whether it was that the land on this strip got mainly into the hands
of absentees and speculators, or that the crossing of the Aux Sable and the
Saugeen Rivers became too formidable an undertaking, or both, we cannot
say. The road, however, as a thoroughfare between the two points, was not
In the meantime, Derby had become well settled, and Arran had filled up
with inhabitants; and the main leading road through Derby, known as the
Centre Road, became the stage road and thoroughfare. It runs directly
across the centre of Derby, westward to the County line. It crosses the
Garafraxa Road at "Rockford Castle", 4 m. S. of Owen Sound, though the
stage generally turns off two or three miles before reaching the Garafraxa
Road, and comes down the valley of the Sydenham River. The most noted
point on the road is Sloan's Hotel, near the centre of the township.
The place is now called Kilsyth. This road was laid out by the Government
as a "Colonization Road," and presents some admirable specimens of
first class causewaying. (See O.S. and Saugeen Road and Kilsyth.)
It is now some years since W. J. Marsh, Esq., took up 400 acres
of wild land adjoining the northern boundary of the town plot of
Thornbury; with a roaring stream pursuing its headlong way through
his domain. In 1856 he settled on his land. Thornbury then contained
a Grist and Saw Mill, and a few houses. In 1859, W. A. Clark purchased
of him a water privilege on the Beaver River, with 5 acres of land attached.
Mr. Clark made immediate preparations for building his woollen mills;
and a residence for himself. In 1860, John Tyson came in, and
purchased of Mr. Clark water privilege and land for a flouring mill.
The flouring mill was put in operation in January, 1861, and the
woollen factory in October of the same year. The parties who owned
the ground adjoining, W. T. Marsh, W. A. Clark, and A. J. Whitney, offered
every facility to parties wishing to settle in the new village; and soon
Stores, Inns, and Mechanics Shops began to make their appearance in the
new village, as yet without a name. The inhabitants wished it called
Clarksville after the enterprising proprietor of the Woollen Works;
but the P. O., authorities seem of late years to have set their faces
against any more "villes", and so they compromised the matter by
establishing a P. O. under the name of CLARKSBURG. At first it was merely
a sub-office in connexion with Thornbury, but for a year past it has been
independent, and receives daily mails from Collingwood.
Clarksburg is a little over a mile from Georgian Bay, having only the
town-plot of Thornbury (a square block of 900 acres) between it
and the shore. The population is nearly 200. The whole place,
as it stands, is the result of four years enterprise. It is fortunate
for the present and future interests, of the village, that its
"chief men and fathers" are men of such stability of character, enterprise
The "Northern Woollen Mills," W. A. Clark, E., Proprietor, were, as
already stated, put in operation in 1861. They are intended for two
sets of manufacturing machines; and will work up, when all completed,
80,000 lbs. wool per annum. The main building, which is four-and-a-half
storeys high, stands 34 x 62 feet on the ground. A Sheepskin Factory
is attached, finished in 1864. At present the pelts are exported in
pickle to the United States; but Mr. Clark intends, as soon as arrangements
to that end can be completed, to have them dressed on the premises.
About 20 hands are employed in the various departments of the works.
Custom carding and fulling is likewise attended to. Tweeds, fulled
cloths, beaver cloths, blankets, flannels, &C. are all manufactured,
and are now known all over the Province. Mr. Clark has filled some very
large orders during the last two years, for Montreal, Toronto and Hamilton
wholesale houses. For this trade, his twilled scarlet flannels and checks
are in special request. The establishment of the Northern woollen Mills
has greatly stimulated the growth of wool in the county.
The "Beaver Valley Mills" are the property of John Tyson, Esq.,
and form one of the chief establishments in the village. The
building is of wood, neatly painted; and in its various flats affords
ample storage for grain. There are three run of stones. Flour to a
large amount, is manufactured at these extensive mills.
There are 3 Stores, 2 comfortable Hotels, 2 Shoemakers, a shop for custom
Spinning and Weaving, 1 Harness shop, 2 Waggon shops, a Blacksmith, Tailor,
Cooper, Tinsmith, and several Carpenters. The Potash works of
Mr. B. J. Marsh, were erected last year. There is no church precisely
in the village, the English Church being just within the townplot of
Thornbury, though answering for both villages, which indeed are likely,
ere long to grow into one. An excellent school is in operation.
There is an excellent opening in Clarksburg for both a Foundry and a
Tannery. These wants will no doubt, be soon supplied. There is a
spare water privilege above the mills, and two privileges below, where
the whole volume of the Beaver River could be made available; and at
least 3 other privileges in the village, supplied from the surplus water,
which is very abundant, averaging about half the force of the stream.
Clarksburg is in the township of Collingwood, 1 m. N. of Thornbury;
14 m. N. W. of Collingwood Harbor; 8 m S. E. of Meaford; and 28 m.
E. S. E. of Owen Sound.
Albery, Robt., Saddler, and Harness maker, Marsh St.
Atkins, George, Carder, Northern Woolen Mills, bds. W. A. Clark.
BEAVER VALLEY FLOURING MILLS, John Tyson, proprietor.
BEAVER VALLEY HOTEL, Francis Le Roy, Proprietor
Bracken, Robert, laborer bds Le Roy's Hotel.
Brown, Wm. Shoemaker, at H. Sheridan's, Clark St.
CASEY'S HOTEL, MARSH St.
CASEY JOHN, Proprietor of Casey's Hotel.
Calvery, John, Carpenter, Marsh St.
CLARK, W. A. Proprietor Northern Woollen Mills, h. Marsh St.
Clark, Andrew, Northern Woollen Mills.
DICKSON, JAMES, Cooper, Clark St.
Drake, George, Fuller, Norther Woollen Mills, h. Clark St.
Drake, Mrs., Brook St.
DOUGLAS, JOHN, Tailor, corner Marsh and John Sts.
FAIRGRIEVE, JOHN T., Superintendent Northern Woollen Mills, bds at H. Fraser's
FRASER, HUGH, Custom Weaver and Spinner, Marsh St.
Fraser, Thomas, Weaver, at H. Fraser's.
Gilston, James, Weaver, at H. Fraser's.
Goggins, Wm. Spinner, Northern Woollen Mills, h Clark St.
Hutchinson James, employee at Northern Woollen Mills, h Clark St
HUNTER, WALTER,- Postmaster, and General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, &c,
Agent Western Assurance Co., Marsh St., h Clark St.
Header, James, Farmer, bds at Casey's Hotel.
Huff, Thomas W., Painter; bd's Le Roy's Hotel
KEAST, THOMAS, Horseshoer and general Blacksmith, Clark St.
LYNE, HENRY, General Merchant, Marsh St.
Le Roy, Eugene, Saddler, Clark St.
LE ROY, FRANCIS, Proprietor, Beaver Valley Hotel, Clark St.
Le Roy, John B., Waggon maker, Clark St.
Marsh, B. J., General Merchant, Marsh St.
MARSH, W. J., J.P., Farmer, Clarksburg.
McCue, Patrick, Saddler, at R. Allery's.
Miller, Allan, Farmer.
NORTHERN WOOLLEN MILLS, W. A. Clark, Proprietor.
Pinney, Henry, Carder, Northern Woollen MiIls, bds W. A. Clark.
Purser, Amos, Wool Puller, Northern Woollen Mills, bds W. A. Clark.
Ray, Wm., Casey's Hotel.
Rowe, Peter, Farmer, Marsh St.
RORKE, JOSEPH, J.P., Commissioner in Queen's Bench, Marsh St.
Sheridan, Wm., Boot and Shoe Maker, N. side Clark St.
Sheridan, Humphrey, Boot and Shoemaker, S. side, Clark St.
Sheers, George, Carpenter, Brook St.
Stephens, Robt., Tinsmith, Marsh St. opposite Flouring Mills.
TYSON, JOHN, Proprietor, Beaver Valley Mills, h Marsh St.
Tyson, Milton, Miller, Beaver Valley Mills.
Tyson, Charles, Beaver Valley Mills
WHITNEY, A. J. Carpenter, Clarksburg
It is astonishing how far distant, thirty years ago, the
shores of Georgian Bay seemed from the settled portions of
Upper Canada. Up Yonge Street to Holland Landing, down the
sluggish Holland River, and northward across Lake Simcoe to
Orillia; across the country some twenty miles to Coldwater; then
batteaux (in after days a steamer once a week) from Sturgeon Bay
coastwise along Georgian Bay to any of the new and struggling
settlements on its shores. The opening of the Northern Railway
in the winter of 1854-5, put a new face upon matters. Up to that
time the northern part of Grey had been comparatively isolated.
Penetanguishene and some spots on the southern shores of the
romantic inlet upon which it stands, were the only settlements
on the waters of Georgian Bay. Penetanguishene was a Naval Station
as far back as the war of 1812. Looking across, then, at a distance of
20 miles, from the strait between the Christian Islands and
the shores of Tiny, Collingwood Mountain must have loomed up
in silent and forbidding grandeur. But the spirit of progress,
(and the wants of speculators!) are never satisfied. The settlements
had reached Barrie; and it was desirable to extend the surveys
northwesterly; especially as there were a great many floating
"U. E. Rights" still to locate. People in the present day
can scarcely have an idea of the persistence of the speculators
in lands and land scrip before the Union. No sooner was a township
surveyed than a shoal of these speculators pounced upon it,
and secured the best portions of it and being, many of them, in
the Upper Canada Parliament, they managed to get the "actual settlement"
clause in the grants modified or set aside in their particular cases.
To a considerable extent Collingwood was acquired by absentees, under
U. E. and other land scrip. As mentioned in another place, the Government
had bought up the Indian title to the lands as far west as the perpendicular
line between St. Vincent and Sydenham; in fact as far west as
the old limits of the County of Simcoe. Mr. Rankin, now of Owen Sound,
was employed to survey two townships on Georgian Bay.
There was then no Collingwood Town, with its low water-margin, Railway
Elevator, dark background of cedar, and sentinel Lighthouse; no farms
and fields smoothed out of the shaggy shoulders of the mountain;
no Meaford nestling in the elbow of the Bight of St. Vincent, with
its cultivated slopes in rear, and terrace-like farms extending down
to Cape Rich-nothing, but the rude unbroken forest. In the eastern
portion, good land was found on the top of the mountain; and as
for the western half, it may all be set down as pretty good
land, and sufficiently well situated; falling down toward the
valley of the Beaver River, or occupying its bottom. An incident
of the survey is worth preserving. Chief Wahbatick, of the
Ojibways, now an infirm old man of 70 or 80, at Cape Croker,
called upon Mr. Rankin, and ordered the surveying party to desist
and leave "his land." Mr. Rankin reasoned with him; showing him
that the Government did not profess to claim the land further west
than Vail's Point, but that up to that headland they had bought out
the Indian rights. Wahbatick had probably never consented to the
transfer, as, in after years, when no longer considered as a Chief,
he dissented from the surrender of the Saugeen Peninsula to Lord Bury.
Be this as it may, he threatened the party; but having implicit faith
in his "Great Father", at York; Sir John Colborne, the Lieut. Governor
of Upper Canada, he would first try peaceful means. He departed, and
within the short space of about ten days reappeared, having been,
by canoe and on foot, to York (Toronto) in the meantime. The clerks
at the Crown Land Office had imposed on the fiery little Chief;
and giving him a paper which they asserted would cause all unauthorized
trespassers to decamp, got rid of him. The paper was but a printed
handbill, "Lands for Sale;" and this he had carried, carefully folded,
in his bosom, all the way from York. He "served it" upon Mr. Rankin
with all due importance; but seeing no immediate effect, grew confidential,
and admitting he was "buckatae," (hungry), got something to eat and
drink, and made peace with the party.
The surveying party came across in boats from Penetanguishene,
which, during the season was their "base of supplies." The Blue
Mountains" were then considered so far away and so forbidding,
that some apprehensions were felt for the safety of the party from
Indians, wild beasts, and distance from civilization. The Naval
Lientenant in command was extremely delighted to see the party
safely return at the close of the season.
When the plans were all sent in, the new Township was called by
the Governor "Alta," from the great height of land within it.
Capt. Moberly, a retired Naval officer drawing his grant of land in the
Township, disliked the name "Alta," and prevailed on Sir John Colborne
to change it to "Collingwood," as well as the other Township from
"Zero," to St. Vincent, after those two Naval heroes.
The natural outlet of the traffic of the western half of Collingwood,
down the Beaver Valley to Clarksburg and Thornbury while the Eastern
or Mountain half of the Township find their market and outlet Easterly
toward Collingwood Town and the villages and Stations of Nottawasaga.
Hence there are two interests in the Township, almost as distinct as
if there were two Townships. The Council meet somewhat centrally in
the Township, and try to reconcile these conflicting interests as
best they can.
There are three Villages in Collingwood; Thornbury, Clarksburg,
and Williamstown [Heathcote]. The Township is rapidly improving
and filling up, as may be evidenced by the fact that the number
of acres held in 1864 is 14,000 more than in 1860. A pleasing
feature in the statistics of this Township is that by the Census
reports, it raised half as much Fall Wheat in 1860 as all the rest
of the County. The injury to the Spring Wheat by summer frosts
has forced the farmers to this experiment; but independently of that,
it is found to be fully as remunerative a crop, under all circustances,
and is now being increasingly cultivated throughout the County.
The soil is generally clay, through the Township of Collingwood.
The Owen Sound and Collingwood Gravel Road runs along the Shore,
across the front of the Township, and forms an excellent
commercial outlet. Were a wharf erected at Thornbury, as at
Meaford, and the Owen Sound and Collingwood Steamer making daily
calls, it would be still better. This is an improvement which the
future must provide.
Trout anglers in the Beaver take up their quarters in one of the
three villages above-named, as taste or convenience decide.
Deer hunters make their headquarters at Milligan's Hotel, at
the foot of the Mountain, 4 m. E. of Thornbury. Many a deer is tracked
round and round the Mountain by the hounds, and finally shot in
Milligan's clearing or overtaken in the waters of Georgian Bay,
to which in their desperation they often betake themselves.
Census Returns.-Population in 1861, 1492. Acres under cultivation, 5,357.
Fall Wheat, 11,243 bushels; Spring Wheat, 26,040 bushels; Peas, 8,279
bushels; Oats, 15,496 bushels; Potatoes, 28,687 bushels; Turnips,
16,155 bushels; Hay, 1,354 tons; Maple Sugar, 7,630 lbs,; Wool, 2,865 lbs.;
Butter, 17,951 lbs.
The amount of land in the township is about 68,600 acres. Of
this, 37,000 acres were held by residents, in 1864.
Including Schools in "Union" with other townships, Collingwood has
fourteen Common Schools.
Union Section No.1 (with Nottawasaga). - John Brown, Teacher,
House, Frame, Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance
for 1864, about 25.
S. S. No.2. Martin Badjero, Teacher. House, Stone. Furnished
with maps and Globes. Average attendance for 1864, about 15.
S. S. No.3. Archibald Currie, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 16.
Union S.S. No.4. (with Euphrasia). William C. Hewish, Teacher.
House, log. Furnished with Maps and Globe. - Average attendance
for 1864, about 40. (Williamstown School.)
Union S.S. No. 5. (with Euphrasia). Joseph McAuslan, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 20.
S. S. No. 5. Archibald Campbell, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 69.
S.S. No.6. James Currie, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with Maps
and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 17.
S. S. No. 7. George Spong, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with Maps
and Globe. Average attendance for the year, about 14.
S. S. No. 8. Daniel Wright, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about, 21.
S. S. No. 9. (Thornbury School). Francis Powell, Teacher.
House, Frame. Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance
for 1864, about 50.
Union S. S. No. 10. (with Nottawasaga). Malcolm Smith, Teacher.
House, log. Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for
1864 about 30.
S.S. No.12. James McMahon, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with Maps
and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 15.
S.S. No.13. (Clarksburg) House, Frame. Robert Albery, Teacher.
Furnished with Maps and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 23.
S.S. No.14. Sarah McMillan, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with Maps
and Globe. Average attendance for 1864, about 16.
Collingwood possesses a Township Library, purchased a few years
ago; and a division of it is placed in each Ward, and changed
at the commencement of the year from one Ward to another.
Each librarian receives some $10 a year. The good effects of
the scheme are aleady visible in the improvement and intelligence
of the young people.
Churches.-Exclusive of the Churches in the villages already
named, there are the following in the Township:
Episcopal Church; frame; on 9th Concession, about 5 m. from Thornbury
Primitive Methodist Church; frame; on 10th Concession, about 5 m. from
Weslayan Church; log; on 10th Concession, 6 m. from Clarksburg.
Sawmills.-Thornbury Sawmill, Riddell & Murdy,-Lessees;
Cumming's Sawmill half a mile above Clarksburg;
Wilson's Sawmill, 2 m. above Clarksburg;
Stottenberg's Sawmill, on Mill Creek, on Lot 10, Con. 8.
Township Officers.-Reeve, Alex. Mitchell [Clarksburg, P. O.]
Councillors, W. White, W. Reid, D. Wright, Neil Smith.
Clerk, Richard Rorke, [Heathcote P. O.]
Treasurer, James Johnston, [Heathcote P. O.]
NOTE.-In the following list, f is "Freeholder," and h is "Householder,"
as so noted in the assessment roll for 1864.
Arbuthnot, Neil f 1 41
Allcock, Robert f 9 13
Atkins, Mrs f 10 19
Abbey, Luke h 11 18
Atkins, Robert h 11 33
Alexander, Joseph f 9 28
Alexander, John f 12 13
Alexander, Samuel f 9 29
Andrews, Samuel f 12 34
Brown, Wm. f 7 27
Burchill, Samuel h 11 9
Barr, Robert f 1 1
Barr, Adam f 1 1
Buie, Neil f 2 20
Bell, John f 3 1
Brown, Arch'd f 3 21
Brooks, Wm f 4 18
Beaton, Donald, senr. f 6 20
Beaton, Donald, junr. f 6 20
Beaton, John f 6 20
Brock, George E. h 7 8
Brophy, James f 7 20
Brownlee, James f 8 18
Brooks, Abraham f 8 23
Ballantyne, Wm. f 8 27
Badger, Aaron f 9 22
Belfry, John A f 9 26
Belfry, Ira f 9 26
Burns, Thomas f 10 9
Bell, Joseph f 11 12
Bolls, John f 11 33
Bradbury, Luke, Shoemaker h 12 23
Brooklebank, Wm. f 12 16
Burns, Henry f 12 22
Buhart, David f 10 25
Croker, Robert h 12 32
Clark, John f 12 15
Clark, George f 12 15
Cumming, David f 11 30
Carefoot, Richard f 11 22
Clark, W. A. f 10 31
Collins, Henry h 11 14
Carefoot, John f 11 16
Carefoot, Thomas f 10 13
Carefoot, Henry f 10 13
Condlin, John h 10 15
Carefoot, Wm. f 10 16
Carscaden, Joseph f 9 21
Carscaden, Dean f 8 19
Carscaden, Thomas f 8 19
Cordner, Wm. h 6 3
Chamberlain, John h 6 4
Couper, John f 5 4
Couper, Wm. f 5 4
Campbell, Wm. f 4 5
Campbell, Donald f 3 10
Campbell, Dugald f 2 19
Currie, John h 2 15
Currie, Dugald f 1 10
Craig, Robert f 11 33
Currie, Neil h 1 12
Currie, John f 1 13
Currie, John f 1 14
Currie, Arch'd f 1 14
Currie, John f 2 1
Campbell, Arch'd f 2 3
Currie, Arch'd f 2 3
Currie, Malcolm f 1 3
Currie, Neil f 1 3
Currie, Edward f 1 2
Campbell, Hugh f 4 3
Draper, Benj h 8 21
Draper, Paul h 8 21
Donaldson, Wm. Blacksmith f 12 23
Day, John f 12 36
Dinsmore, John f 12 33
Dinsmore, Andrew f 12 33
Eaton, Cyrus h 12 26
Emery, John f 12 12
Elven, Thomas f 11 32
Erven, Thomas f 9 24
Fremlin, Frederick f 2 13
Fleming, A. G. f 2 21
Fleming, John f 2 21
Ferguson, George f 3 8
Ferguson, Finlay f 3 9
Fleming, Alex f 3 20
Fleming, Henry f 3 21
Field, Wm. f 7 23
Field, Thomas f 8 24
Fawcett, Chas f 9 24
Fawcett, Robert f 10 24
Futhey, Robert f 11 9
Fawcett, John f 11 23
Ferguson, John f 11 33
Ferguson, Charles h 11 33
Ferguson, James f 11 33
Fleming, William Innkeeper f 12 23
Fletcher, Dickenson f 12 27
Fife, Wm h 12 22
Gould, Henry f 12 41
Grant, Charles f 12 4O
Gage, Geo. Carpenter f 12 36
Green, John f 12 21
Gould, Rev. John,
Canada Presbyterian f 11 34
Goldsmith, James f 11 26
Goldsmith, Wm f 11 26
Grainger, John f 11 29
Grainger, Joseph f 11 29
Goodfellow, Adam f 11 12
Grierson, John f 9 12
Griffeth, George f 10 27
Grierson, Walter f 9 12
Gould, Jesse h 9 14
Gould, Allan f 12 39
Galbraith, Maxwell f 8 26
Greig, James f 8 27
Gibson, James f 7 20
Galloway, Edward f 5 18
Gillies, Donald f 2 2
Gillies, Arch'd f 2 2
Gillies, Alex f 1 2
Gardner, James f 8 9
Gardner, Charles f 8 9
Henderson, Donald f 1 4
Henderson, John f 1 5
Harris, Wm. f 4 16
Hamwood, Alban f 5 20
Hill, Joseph f 8 25
Hurst, Edward h 8 29
Hutchinson, John h 10 20
Hutchinson, James h 10 20
Holderahaw, James h 11 18
Hutton, George f 11 18
Hewgill, Wm. f 12 17
Hamilton, Mrs f 12 23
Hewish, W.C. Teacher f 12 23
Holdship, George f 12 35
Holdship, Wm. f 12 35
Hammond, Darius f 2 43
Isaac, Wm. f 10 22
Irwin, Michael f 10 16
Isaac, Charles f 10 17
Jordan, John f 3 8
Johns, Samuel f 4 15
Johnson, George f 8 13
Johnson, Wm f 11 26
Kinney, Samuel f 12 18
Kinney, Charles f 12 18
Kennedy, Wm. f 11 10
Kirk, John h 9 18
Kerr, Wm. f 6 21
Lunan, George f 3 23
Lang, John f 4 3
Latimer, James f 4 14
Lunan, James f 6 18
Latter, Wm. f 8 16
Loughead, Joseph f 10 21
Loughead, James f 10 21
Loughead, Wm. f 10 21
Loughead, Smith f 10 23
Loughead, Joseph f 10 23
Loughead, John f 11 19
Loughead, John f 11 23
Loughead, Wm h 11 25
Loughead, Thomas f 11 25
Loughead, Warren f 11 21
Lapp, Jeremiah f 12 15
Londry, John B. f 12 40
Moore, Benj. f 12 28
Maloney, Patrick f 12 29
Maloney, John f 12 29
Miller, Mrs. f 12 20
Moscrop, Joseph f 12 22
Monroe, Thomas f 11 33
Mossington, Geo. h 11 28
Moore, Elias f 10 28
Marsh, W. J. f 10 30
Maddill, Wm. f 9 25
Melville, Adam h 8 23
Milligan, Robt. f 6 25
Morphet, Robt. f 6 7
May, John f 4 16
May, Wm. f 4 19
Martin, Thomas f 2 21
McNichol, Neil f 1 4
McMurchy, Malcolm f 1 9
McAlister, John f 1 10
McCannell, Archibald f 1 15
McCoy, John h 2 9
McLeod, Alex f 2 19
McLeod, Duncan f 2 19
McDougall, Alex h 2 20
McCaffrey, Gilbert f 2 21
McPherson, John f 3 2
McQuin, Alex f 3 2
McIntyre, Mrs f 3 15
McLeod, John f 3 16
McLeod, Alex f 3 16
McArthur, Peter f 3 16
McLeod, John f 3 17
McArthur, John h 3 17
McNichol, Peter f 3 17
McGregor, Gregor h 4 22
McEachern, John f 4 8
McLennan, John f 4 9
McAlister, Donald f 4 9
McArthur, Charles f 4 15
McAlister, Donald f 5 8
McAlister, Dugald f 5 8
McLeod, Murdoch f 5 19
McKay, John f 5 19
McArthur, John f 6 9
McArthur, Peter f 6 15
McArthur, Hugh f 6 16
McKenzie, Donald h 6 19
McLeod, Robt. h 6 19
McGee, Johnston f 6 21
McKinley, James f 6 21
McArthur, Duncan f 7 17
McCollman, Duncan f 9 11
McIlroy, John f 9 19
McIlroy, Thomas f 9 20
McKee, Wm. f 9 29
McMaster, James f 9 30
McCollman, Donald f 10 11
McCollman, Angus f 10 11
McCollman, Neil f 11 17
McIlroy, George f 11 21
McGuire, Charles f 11 35
McGuire, James f 11 34
McGuire, Richard f 11 35
McGuire, Richard Sr. f 11 35
McCallum, James f 12 14
McCallum, John f 12 14
McCallun, Samuel f 12 16
McKinlay, Arch'd h 12 20
McCarroll, Mrs. f 12 23
McRae, John f 42 13
Nicholson, John f 8 28
Park, John f 6 19
Peachy, Reuben f 6 25
Parks, Milo f 9 3
Prentice, Jacob f 12 21
Proctor, Louis h 11 31
Parsley, Dr.W. H f 12 36
Rogers, Eli f 12 37
Rogers, Daniel H f 12 32
Rorke, Thomas J f 12 24
Rorke, Richard f 12 25
Rorke, Thomas H f 12 25
Ryder, Christopher h 11 10
Robinson, Mrs. f 11 20
Ryan, Thomas f 11 15
Rorke, George f 9 18
Rairdon, John f 8 4
Reid, Wm f 8 16
Randall, John f 7 23
Reikie, George f 7 26
Reikie, John f 7 26
Reikie, George, Sr. f 7 26
Reid, Wm f 5 19
Robinson, John h 3 9
Smith, Neil f 2 9
Smith, Malcolm f 2 11
Sullivan, John h 2 11
Shaw, John f 3 15
Stevens, Richard f 3 21
Shaw, Andrew f 4 14
Skelton, Joseph f 4 17
Shaw, Thomas f 4 18
Smith, Thomas f 5 4
Skelton, Wm. f 5 17
Scobie, James f 6 16
Sheridan, James f 6 21
Spies, Frederick f 6 25
Small, Thomas, junr. f 7 15
Stottenburgh, Alfred h 7 14
Stottenburgh, Hiram h 7 14
Small, Joseph h 7 16
Small, Thomas f 7 15
Stottenburgh, Peter f 8 10
Shore, Andrew f 8 20
Smithson, George f 9 29
Spaul, Austin f 10 22
Scroggie, Samuel f 9 28
Shaw, Wm. f 11 18
Shaw, Christopher f 11 20
Stephens, James f 11 32
Stewart, Major Chas. f 11 37
Shannon, Thomas f 12 12
Stotts, Peter f 7 27
Small, Wm. h 7 16
Shore, Robert f 7 22
Shaw, Joseph f 12 19
Shaw, Edward h 12 19
Stephens, James f 12 36
Theakston, John f 11 25
Tong, John h 10 20
Taylor, Jeremiah f 9 23
Thompson, John f 2 13
Vickers, Joseph h 3 9
Vamplew, Wm. f 10 19
Walters, Henry f 6 15
Wilson, Ambrose f 6 21
Wallace, James f 8 17
Wallace, Andrew f 8 17
Wright, Daniel f 4 18
Wallace, Hugh f 8 22
Wright, Arthur f 8 23
Wright, Richard f 8 23
Wheatland, Cornelius f 8 27
Wagg, Francis f 9 13
Walter, Geo., senr. f 9 15
Walter, Geo., junr. f 9 15
Walter, James f 9 15
Wilson, Robert f 9 24
Wilson, Thomas f 9 28
White, Wm. f 10 18
White, Samuel f 10 18
Whitney, Abraham f 10 29
Walter, Wm. f 11 17
Wilson, James Miller f 11 26
Wilson, James f 12 23
York, Henry f 12 21
A beautiful Bay washing the northernmost part of the County,
and an arm of Georgian Bay, named after a pilot in the
exploring expedition of Capt. W. F. W. Owen, R. N., at which
time the shore of Georgian Bay was an uninhabited wilderness,
with the solitary exception of Penetanguishene and immediate
neighbourhood. Colpoy's Bay has the Township of Keppel on
the South, the Township of Albemarle on the North and the
Townplot of Wiarton at its Western end. It opens out
Northeasterly into the Lake, having White Cloud Island lying
directly in its mouth. Further out, like the second cordon of
a blockading squadron, lie Griffeth's Island and Hay Island;
in such order that when within the Bay, the view of
the open lake is entirely obstructed, and the shelter is
complete. The Bay is of great depth; nine miles long; from
White Cloud Island to the head of the Bay, (Wiarton is as yet
only a "Town" on paper), and has no shoals, sand-bars nor rocks
to obstruct the navigation. As the visitor enters the Bay both shores
are guarded by a high precipitous ridge of rugged limestone a
short distance back from the shore, that on the N. W. side
being the highest and most irregular. These ridges
lessen down toward the head of the Bay; in fact almost
disappearing. On the Southern shore, for two miles before reaching
the head of the Bay a beautiful succession of improving
farms is presented. This was formerly an Indian Reserve, but given up
and sold some three years ago. Here we find a P. O. lately
established for the convenience of the settlers. "Oxenden P. O."
The mail from Owen Sound is carried across by boat to "Colpoy's Bay."
P. O. directly opposite, 1 1/4 m. across), in the Township of Albemarle,
and County of Bruce. In the latter vicinity are also some good farms.
Colpoy's Bay is a favorite resort for summer picnic parties
by Steamer, from Owen Sound. The two Post-offices above named are
30 m. from Owen Sound, by water. In former years all communication
with Colpoy's Bay was by coasting in boats. Lately the County line
has been opened out, and Owen Sound is brought 10 m. nearer. From
Colpoy's Bay across to Lake Huron is only 7 m.
A Post Village in the N.E. corner of the Township of Glenelg,
on the Toronto and Sydenham Road, 26 m. from Owen Sound, 17 m.
from Johntown, and 6 m. N. W. of Flesherton. In the
village are 3 stores, a Post office, an Episcopal Church, a
Wagonmaker; Shoemaker, Carpenter, 2 Blacksmiths, and a tavern.
A large quantity of wheat and other grain is purchased in the winter.
Messrs. McFarland and Reynolds are General Dealer's; Mr. Van Felsen
confines himself principally to Drugs and Medicines. Mails on
Wednesdays and Saturdays from Flesherton and Johntown. The
Post office was formerly known as "East Glenelg;" but
last year, the name "Cornabuss" was given by the P. O. Department.
Armstrong, Mark, Farmer.
Colemon, Samuel, Farmer.
Colemon, W. J., Clerk at C. Reynolds
Dundas, Wm., Boot and Shoe Maker.
Eaton, Alfred, Blacksmith.
HASKETT W. N., Hotel keeper
Haskett, Robert, Haskett's Hotel
McDuffy, Daniel, Farmer.
MCFARLAND, W. J.. Postmaster, and
General Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, and Country Produce.
Noble, Alfred, Wagon Maker.
Ritchie, Wm. Carpenter
REYNOLDS, CLARK, general Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, Country Produce, &c.
Reynolds, Mrs., Groceries &c.
Van Felsen, Charles, Druggist.
Van Felsen, Charles, jr., and Photographic Artist.
Van Felsen, George, Painter and Photographic Artist.
Walker, George, Blacksmith.
A Post office on the Owen Sound and Collingwood Road, in the Township
of Collingwood, on Georgian Bay. It is 6 m. from Collingwood Harbor,
and a little over a mile from the County line of Simcoe. Beside the P. O.
there are in the immediate vicinity, a tavern (Mrs. Cook's), and an
excellent new Stone School-house.
Cook, Mrs., Inn-keeper.
Martin, Thomas, Farmer.
Fleming, A. G, Postmaster and farmer.
McCaffrae, Gilbert, Labourer.
A Post Office on the 10th con. of the township of Bentinck, 7 m.
W. of Latona P. O., from whence it is supplied with mails on Wednesdays
and Saturdays. 13 m. from Durham, and 28 from Owen Sound.
Hector McRae, Postmaster.
The name popularly bestowed upon the upper part of the valley
of the Beaver River. This valley commences as a narrow gorge
between limestone precipices at the bottom of Eugenia Falls, but
soon widens out into very respectable proportions. On the east
side of the valley, the Collingwood or Blue Mountains slope
down with a descent of sometimes two or three miles, as yet chiefly
covered with wood. The Western slope is more abrupt, and
apparently less elevated. The river pursues a pretty swift course
through cedar swamps and partially cleared farms, toward Georgian Bay.
The valley, including the slopes, is frequently three to five miles
in width. The time is coming when this valley will be one of the
most attractive spots in Upper Canada. The attempt was
made, two or three years ago, by some of the residents at its
upper end, to call it "Queen's Valley;" but the old name is likely
to remain, not withstanding this expressed desire. The Cuckoo Valley
is a noted resort for angler's. (See also "Beaver River.")
A Post-office in the Township of Sydenham-, on the "Lake Shore
Line;" 8 mi. from Owen Sound. Mail to and from Owen Sound on
Tuesdays and Saturdays. Abraham Cameron, Postmaster. Messrs.
S. & A. Cameron carry on here a Boot and Shoe manufactory,
employing several hands.
As elsewhere stated, the Government had, in 1833, when the survey
of St. Vincent and Collingwood was taken in hand, acquired
by treaty, with the Ojibway Indians, the Eastern portion of
the present county of Grey. In 1836, the Government, by another
treaty, acquired the remainder of the county of Grey as far
north as the original Northern limits of Derby. Though a part of
Owen Sound town was surveyed in 1840, and the township of Sydenham
wholly completed in 1842 and '43, it was not till 1846
that Derby was surveyed. It was named after the late Lord Derby,
the father of the present Earl. It is scarcely as large a township
as some of the others; its distance from North to South
being somewhat less. The number of acres assessed in 1864 is- 40,147.
Derby lies in the N.W. of the county, being bounded N., by Keppel,
E. by Sydenham, S. by Sullivan, and W. by Arran. Its general aspect is
even. There are large tracts of pretty level and very good land in
Derby. In the East, toward the Garafraxa Road, especially between that
road and the Sydenham River, is a very stony tract. West of that,
some places show a friable, sandy soil; but more generally clay.
Timber, maple, elm, and ash. There may be said to be no
oak, but there is a good deal of pine in Several of the
cedar swamps. These latter prevail to some extent in the vicinity
of the Pottawatamie River. There are few better townships to be found;
as a whole; than Derby, whether we consider soil, timber, convenience
to market or enterprise of the settlers. There is air of thrift
about the appearance of most of the farms in the concessions;
not by any means universal in the county. The population has
considerably increased since the Census was taken, many new
settlers having come into the Township. There are on the Roll for
1864, 320 resident Householders. Taking the very safe "Rule of Five,"
we find these would represent a population of 1,600. In 1861, the
population is given as 1,243. There are no villages in Derby,
except Kilsyth, which is now beginning to be considered as a
"village." There are two Post-offices-Kilsyth and Alvanley.
Some years ago, an addition was made to the township by the "Half-mile
Strip" being added to its Northern side. -(See Centre Road, Derby.")
Mills.-There are two Grist Mills-"Derby Mills," and "Inglis Mills";
Five Sawmills, viz.: Coulters' Sawmill, on Centre Road, on
a branch of the Pottawatamie, 5 m. from Owen Sound; Jones Sawmill
at the Falls of the Pottawatamie, on the Gravel Road, 2 m. West
of Owen Sound; Inglis' Sawmill; Herriman's Sawmill, on Centre
Road, 3 m. from Owen Sound, on the Sydenham River, 3 m. from
Owen Sound-and Cross' Sawmill, on the Sydenham River, below
Inglis' 2 1/4 m. from Owen sound.
Section. No. 1.- Thomas H. Gillespie; Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, 32.
Section No.2. Mary A. Meir, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, 11.
Section No.3. Archibald B. Walker, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, 36.
Section No.4. J. W. Bingham, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, 21.
Section No. 7. W. L. B. Hamlin, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for 1864, 8.
Section No.8. D. F. S. Ritchie, Teacher. House, log.
Average attendance for first six months of 1864, 19..
Union Section No.7. Arran and Derby Wm. Elliott, Teacher.
Union Section No. 9. Arran and Derby. Andrew Quinn, teacher.
Union Section No.2. Derby and Sydenham. House, stone.
D. R. Dobie, Teacer. Average attendance, (from Derby), for 1864, 20.
Union Section No.3. Sydenham and Derby. Christina McKay, Teacher.
House, log. Average attendance (from Derby), for 1864, 10.
Union Section No.1. Sullivan and Derby. Edward Lunn, Teacher.
House, log. Average atndance for 1864, (from Derby), 5.
Agricultural Society.-The Township of Derby Agricultural
Society holds an Annual Exhibition every Autumn, generally at
Kilsyth. It has tended much to foster Agriculture in the
Township. W. Beaton, (Kilsyth P. O.), Secretary.
Nb.-f signifies "Freeholder," h "Householder"
Anderson, Andrew f 1 8
Agan, Francis f 2 6
Armstrong, James h 3 7
Armstrong, John h 4 1
Anthony, Francis f 5 12
Anthony, John f 5 12
Agnew, James f 6 7
Anderson, Thomas f 9 16
Agnew, Wm. h 12 3
Arnett, Peter h 12 16
Adair, Alex f 1/2 m. str 2
Brown, Wm. f 1/2 m. str 1
Barber, Nathaniel f 12 11
Barber, James f 12 12
Bentley, Randall h 12 4
Brock, Alex. f 11 10
Brock, Francis h 11 10
Barber, John h 9 4
Barber, James h 9 4
Barnard, John h 8 16
Barnard, George f 8 16
Breen, George f 8 5
Breem, Henry f 8 6
Black, John h 7 10
Black, Hugh h 7 11
Brown, Duncan f 7 4
Brown, Donald f 6 4
Brooks, George f 5 15
Brooks, John h 5 15
Barnes, Samuel h 4 13
Beaton, Wm. f 5 4
Beaton, Neil f 5 4
Beaton, Lachlin f 5 4
Barber, Francis f 3 7
Butchart, David f 3 14
Barber, James f 3 6
Boyle, John f 2 1
Bryant, Wm. h 4 17
Coleman, James f 1 1
Carson, James f 1 2
Carson, John f 1 5
Couch, Mark h 1 8
Cross, James f 1 11
Cooney, John f 2 2
Coulter, Alex f 4 9
Coulter, Mrs. J. D. f 4 9
Coulter, R. D. f 4 10
Coulter, Hugh f 4 10
Cameron, J. McA. f 5 5
Cashore, John h 6 11
Cavanagh, Robt h 6 16
Currie, Wm. h 7 4
Cochrane, James f 7 7
Charlton, John B. h 9 11
Costley, James h 9 14
Campbell, Wm. h 11 1
Coventry, Wm. h 12 2
Coventry, Joseph h 12 2
Dezell, John h 11 16
Davis, Charles f 12 7
Dalgarm, Alex h 11 10
Douglas, James h 9 1
Dick, Robt. h 4 11
Duncan, Alex h 2 8
Dickson, Robt h 2 12
Dowd, Jarvis h 5 3
Elliott, Wm. (Teacher) h 12 5
Egerton, Thomas f 12 13
Ekins, Claudius f 12 15
Frost, R. L. f 1 7
Frost, Thomas f 1 6
Follis, Irwin h 7 13
Finch, Abraham h 7 8
Foilis, Charles f 6 11
Fleming, Wm. f 9 6
Fleming, Donald f 6 9
Fleming, James f 6 9
Fleming, Charles f 6 10
Fleming, Alex Sr. f 6 10
Fleming, Alex Jr. f 9 6
Fleming, John f 6 1O
Fairbairn, John f 2 13
Flower, Samuel f 2 14
Graham, Robt f 6 6
Geddes, Wm h 1 2
Gibson, Thomas f 1 14
Galbraith, John h 2 13
Gillespie, Thos., Teacher h 4 6
Gerry, Jonathan f 5 15
Gerry, Wm.J. h 5 15
Garvie, Joseph h 6 1
Graham, Joseph f 7 6
Graham, Wm. h 7 6
Gray, Gilbert h 8 4
Gorley, Thomas jr. h 8 12
Graham, Solomon h 9 2
Gorley, Wm. h 9 9
Garvie, Alex h 9 12
Garvie, Joseph Sr. f 9 12
Gilchrist, Donald f 11 6
Gimby, John f 1/2 m. str 3
Gimby, Joseph f 1/2 m. str 4
Hanna, Richard h 9 11
Harris, James f 12 8
Henderson, John h 12 5
Hyde, Wm. h 11 14
Henderson, Wm. f 10 2
Henderon, Geo. h 10 2
Hart, John h 9 17
Harbottle, Ralph f 9 5
Hall, Wm., [Weaver] h 9 5
Hall, Samuel h 7 13
Hamilton, James h 8 1
Hall, Alex. h 8 3
Hilts, David h 7 9
Hunt, James h 7 5
Hunter, Andrew h 5 16
Hardie, Andrew f 4 8
Harrison, Charles f 4 6
Harrison, Richard f 4 6
Hall, Simon f 3 3
Hall, Francis f 3 4
Hall, Wm. f 3 5
Hamilton, Henry jr. f 2 3
Herriman, Nathaniel f 1 9
Herriman, Angus C. f 1 9
Horne, J. [Inkeep'r] h 1 7
Hamilton, John f 1 3
Hamilton, Henry, Sen f 1 4
Hammond, Richard h 8 14
Inglis, Peter f 1 10
Johnson, W. H. f 1 12
Johnson, David f 2 12
Johnson, James f 2 12
Jones, Wm. f 5 5
Jones, Wm. f 5 16
Jones, S.A. f 5 17
Jackman, James, senr. f 6 5
Jackman, James, junr. f 6 5
Johnston, Wm. h 6 11
Johnson, John f 7 6
Johnson, Samuel h 7 11
Johnson, James f 1/2 m. str. 10
Kinchen, Joseph h 7 14
Kennedy, John f 11 12
Kaake, Adam f 4 7
Lundy, Wm. h 3 1
Lochead, David h 4 12
Lochead, James h 4 12
Lochead, Wm. f 4 12
Lochead, John f 4 12
Linn, John f 5 9
Leslie, Alex h 5 15
Lee, Robert h 6 4
Linn, Robert f 6 7
Leslie, Thomas f 6 17
Leslie, Jeremiah f 6 17
Livingston, David h 7 8
Lister, James f 9 1
Lister, Wm. f 9 3
Meabry, John f 1 5
Maxwell, Hamilton f 3 12
Mundell, Wm. f 5 11
Maxwell, Thomas h 5 13
Maxwell, Michael h 5 13
Maxwell, James f 5 13
Moore, Alex. f 7 12
Mackie, Wm. f 8 8
Moore, David f 9 10
Moore, Robert f 9 10
Moore, George h 10 6
Marshall, David f 10 11
Mole, David h 11 3
Marshall, John h 11 11
Marshall, David, senr. f 11 12
Mitchell, Francis f 12 6
Mitchell, Wm. f 12 6
Morrow, Wm. A. f 12 9
Morrow, Wm. f 12 8
Matthews, G.M. f 1/2 m. str. 16
McGregor, Robert f 1 1
McNab, George f 1 3
McBrian, Edward h 1 6
McNab, Richard f 1 6
McDermid, Hugh f 1 10
McDermid, John f 1 10
McMeekin, Wm., [Innkeeper] f 1 10
McNab, Wm. h 2 1
McNab, George, junr. h 2 2
McLeod, Hugh h 2 7
McInnis, Jesse f 2 8
McDougall, David f 2 14
McAllister, Philip h 3 1
McAllister, Thomas h 3 1
McInnis, Mrs. f 3 8
McArthur, Donald, senr. h 6 2
McArthur, Donald, jr. h 6 2
McDonald, Chas. h 6 3
McDermid, George h 7 1
McArthur, Duncan h 7 2
McPhee, John f 7 3
McGaffin, James f 7 9
McClusky, James [Potter] h 7 9
McNerin, Samuel h 7 13
McDermid, Arch h 8 3
McDermid, James h 8 4
McAvoy, James f 8 7
McFarlane, Joseph h 9 2
McInnis, James h 10 1
McInnis, Thomas h 10 1
McFarlane, George f 10 10
McDonald, John f 12 7
Norris, John h 8 5
Neelands, Wm. f 3 10
Neelands, Daniel f 5 10
Nelson, Wm. h 3 10
Noonan, John f 12 11
Noonan, Dennis f 12 11
O'Neil, Michael f 1 1
Oliver, James f 1 13
Ormanby, Wm. f 3 14
Owen, Wm. f 8 13
Pearce, Ezra h 2 14
Porteus, Simon h 4 10
Reilly, Solomon f 1 9
Rankin, Charles f 1 11
Reilly, John f 1 10
Rowan, Wm. f 1 12
Rossitter, Harvey f 1 12
Reilly, John h 3 2
Reid, Wm. h 4 1
Reid, John h 4 9
Rowan, John h 6 3
Robertson, James h 9 7
Robertson, Robert h 9 7
Robertson, John h 9 7
Robertson, Robt.,jr. h 10 6
Rice, Ira W. h 11 9
Simpson, George f 1 2
Smith, John f 1 8
Sharp, James f 1 12
Simpson, Wm.B. h 2 2
Snell, Thomas h 2 3
Sergeant, Jesse h 2 12
Sibbald, Thomas f 3 11
Sibbald, John h 3 11
Spencer, George G. h 5 11
Smith, Alex h 7 1
Stedman, Morris h 7 2
Smith, Alex f 7 3
Smith, James f 7 3
Sinclair, Arch'd f 7 8
Smith, George (Innkeeper) h 7 9
Sloan, Thomas (Post master, Kilsyth)
f 7 10
Saunders, Wm. h 8 10
Saunders, David h 8 10
Smith, Alex h 9 4
Struthers, Wm. h 10 10
Stephens, John h 10 10
Saunders, Gilbert h 11 7
Smith, David h 11 10
Smith, Hugh h 11 10
Struthers, James h 11 12
Scarrow, Wm. h 10 2
Thompson, John h 6 4
Todd, James R f 6 11
Tait, Edward f 6 12
Thompson, Robert f 8 7
Thompson, Thos.,(Innkeeper) h 1/2 m. str 16
Tolton, Joshua h 8 9
Vance, James f 7 12
Westerman, James f 1 7
Wiggins, Samuel f 6 13
Wiggins, John f 6 13
Wiggins, Thomas f 6 13
Wilcox, Thomas f 7 7
Walker, Arch. (Teacher) h 7 10
Walmsley, Wm. (Potter) h 7 9
White, John h 9 3
Waddell, Gavin f 10 9
Waddell, Robert f 10 9
Webster, James, (P.M., Alvanley P. O.)
f 10 16
Webster, Alex f 1/2 m. str. 15
Wilson, John h 11 13
Witherspoon, James h 11 16
Wilkinson, Brigham f 11 14
White, Benj. f 12 8
Wyce, Jacob h 3 8
Yates, Wm. h 6 6
Young, George h 8 8
Young, James h 12 3
Situated in the township of Derby, 2 m. south of Owen Sound.
The motive power is supplied by a beautiful spring creek that gushes
out of the limestone rock within a few yards of the mill, and
falls into the Sydenham River half a mile below.
The mills consist of Grist Mill and Oatmeal Mill, with one run of
stones for each department, and were built a few years ago by the late
proprietor, John McInnis. A few months ago they were purchased by the
present proprietors, Messrs. J. & D. Johnson.
DICKSON, ROBERT, Lessee Derby Mills
Galbraith, Adam, Miller
JOHNSON, J. & D. [James Johnson and David Johnson], Proprietors Derby Mills.
Situated in the Township of Normanby, 5 m. N. W. of Mount Forest,
on a small stream that empties into the S. Br. of the Saugeen,
and at the mouth of the stream. The Grist Mill has two run of
stones. A Sawmill is also attached to the property, driven by
the same stream.
Dickson, John, Proprietor Grist and Saw-mills.
Dickson, Joseph, Miller.
A Post office in the Township of Egremont, 9 m. East of Orchardville,
from whence it is supplied with mails. Alexander Taylor, Postmaster
and General Merchant. Dromore is 45 miles from Owen Sound; and
17 m. from Mount Forest, and from Durham.
DURHAM TO COLLINGWOOD.
In 1848, what is called the "Durham Road"- was laid out. It
stretched across the Souterm part of the Townships of Osprey,
Artemisia, Glenelg and Bentinck, from Nottawasaga Westward.
Nor did it stop at the limits of this County; for the same
survey was continued through the Township of Brant; and,
after meeting the diagonal survey of the "Elora Road" at the
S. W. corner of the latter Towhship, continued its way, at first
West, then N. W. to Kincardine on Lake Huron. The lots on this Road
were "free-grants," and from 1849 it may be said to have been fully
settled. The portion of it from Durham Eastward, was surveyed
by the late David Gibson, Esq.,. P. L. S. In common with other
Roads laid out by Government for Colonization purposes, it
follows to some degree the inequalities of the country, while
preserving its general course. From Durham to Collingwood is
about 50 miles. Durham lies principally on very high ground, on
the right bank of the Saugeen, and the road Eastward follows the
ridge for 1 1/2 miles, then takes an elbew Southward, crosses the
Saugeen, and continues Eastward on lower ground. At 3 1/2 m. from
Durham is McArthur's tavern, and a Black-smith's shop. The place
is sometimes called "Pringleville." The Gravel Road is now found
a quarter mile or more South of the original "Durham Road," avoiding
thereby a range of hills over which the line runs. When it comes
out on the straight line again, the traveller finds himself 5 m.
from Durham. We have just passed a small wayside Inn (Mrs. Black's),
and see on our left a small Church belonging to the Canada Presbyterians.
As we enter Priceville; (10 m. from Durham), we find the Gravel Road
has again made a detour to the South, and passes through the
village not only off the line, but with a zig-zag to humour the
ground, and save cutting.
There is good Hotel accommodation at Priceville, though there is
none on the way thither. Here the Road, instead of going Eastward
on its old course, turns off N.E. toward Flesherton and Maxwell,
toward crossing the Toronto and Sydenham Road at the former place.
There are no Hotels till we get to Flesherton, and the 5 miles
between the places is found to be pretty hilly. A Gravel
Road in these regions does not necessarily involve deep cuttings
and easy grades. Constrast the Road with what it was, and be
thankful for what you have got, especially as it costs you nothing
in tolls! From the village of Flesherton it is three or four
miles to the next tavern (T. Munshaw's), then anothor mile and a half
to Miller's tavern, and about 3 m. farther to the village of Maxwell,
in Osprey. We are now going East through the centre of Osprey, in
beautiful and level country, 3 or 4 m. North of the real "Durham Road."
There is one Hotel at Maxwell, new and commodious. From thence we go
about 7 m. East on a straight and beautiful road, to the County line
of Simcoe. We are now in sight of Singhampton, and only 1/2 m. S.
of it. We turn North on the County line, put up comfortably in
Singhampton, and when we go on again toward Bowmore and Collingwood
Harbour (the latter 13 m. from Singhampton), we find we are out of
the County of Grey, and have lost our Gravel Road.
A large, rising and important Village, situated on the main branch
of the Saugeen River, partly in the township of Bentinck and
partly in Glenelg, at the intersection of the "Garafraxa"
and "Durham" Roads, both of which are gravelled, and free of tolls.
It lies in the midst of a fine agricultural country, and has from
year to year evinced a steady improvement and progress.
When Grey was created as a separate County, the claims of Durham to
be made the County Seat were strongly urged. It was certainly
somewhat more central than Owen Sound; but as the roads in
the county were of the most primitive chracter, and the
times almost impassable, and Owen Sound a lake port, the claims of the
latter prevailed. The County Crown Land Agency has, however, always
remained at Durham. At the present time arrangements are in progress
toward the incorporation of the place under a Village Corporation.
It will probably be arranged during the present year so as to take
effect in 1866. Durham is distant from Owen Sound and the
waters of Georgian Bay, 28 m.; from Mount Forest, 16 m.; from
Arthur, 31.m.; Fergus, 43 m.; from Guelph, 56 miles. Durham is
midway between Collingwood and Kincardine, being about 50
miles from each. Eastward, is 10 m. to Priceville; and 15 to
Flesherton and Westward is 11 m. to Hanover, and 17 to Walkerton.
Mails and Stages daily, to and from Owen Sound, Guelph, Collingwood
and Kincardine, and all the intermediate points.
The village is situated partly on high table land overlooking
the valley of the Saugeen, and partly on the lower level beside
the river. A very long hill separates the upper and lower
towns, and in former days presented a very formidable
appearance to the teamster and traveller; but it is now
cut down to a uniform and easy grade. Abundance of
limestone, of a light blue shade is found in the neighborhood,
and many buildings are erected of this substantial material.
The improvement of the place during the last three or four
years, with respect to the number and description of the
buildings erected, has been most marked. Merchant shops,
private residences, etc., may now be seen in Durham, which
would do credit much larger and older places. The
population by careful Municipal census, taken in September
1864, with a view to incorporation, was 850.
Durham presents a good market for agricultural produce to
the country around and should the present agitation for a
Railway result in securing that object, it must give
such an impetus to the business of the town as cannot fail to
conduce most wonderfully to its growth and importance.
A noticeable feature in the trade of Durham, are the
frequent Cattle Fairs that are held; not only the periodical
fairs established under patent by the Governor, but special
fairs at the invitation of Drovers and Cattle dealers, who
come up the country thus far to complete their purchases of
fat cattle, sheep, &C.
Like the greater part of our towns, all the business is done
upon one street-the Gravel Road, running North and South. The
town is about a mile long.
Mills and Factories.-Edge Mills.-The property of Mrs. S, J. Edge,
of Crettyard, Queens Co., Ireland. John Kelly, Lessee. There is
first a Grist and Flouring Mill, with three run of stones;
next a saw-mill, with circular and upright saws, and lastly
a Woollen Factory (in same building as flouring Mill). The
Woollen Mill has 3 power-looms, a spinning machine with 200 spindles,
2 carding machines, and the usual facilities for fulling and finishing
cloth. The mills are situated a quarter of a mile up the river
from the Garafraxa Road.
Inkerman Foundry.-Situated in the Lower Town on Garafraxa street.
Messrs. A. & A. Cochrane, Proprietors. The branches of business
carried on in this extensive establishment, consist of foundry
iron work proper, mill and other castings-waggon, carriage, and
sleigh making-Tinsmithing and Blacksmithing in all their branches
-the manufacture of Threshing machines, cross-cut sawing machines,
and Agricultural implements, generally, &c. From 15 to 20 hands
are employed all the year round. The Buildings consist, 1st, of a
large 3-story stone building 90 x 35 feet, with a wing for moulding
shop 40 feet square. The machinery is moved by a 10-horse steam engine.
On Garafraxa street, in front of the main building, is a long
wooden building containing the Show Room, Tinshop, Office, &c.
The Blacksmith shop is a stone building 30 x 40 feet, containing
4 fires. In the upper stories of the large building the shops for
Waggon-making, Pattern-making, wood work of implements and
machines, &c., are situated; the various planing machines, &c.,
being driven by belting from below. This establishment
is the largest of the class in the County; and the annual product
of the works in manufactured articles, amounts to a very large sum.
Messrs. Cochrane established themselves in Durham in August, 1854.
Durham Mills-Peter Paterson, Proprietor. These Mills consist
of Flouring Mill, Oatmeal Mill, Sawmill and Woollen Factory.
The Sawmill was erected about 12 Years ago. The Flour and Oatmeal
Mill was first put in operation in 1859. The Flour Mill
has 3 run of stones; one of which are used for manufacturing oatmeal.
Everything in the mill is conveniently arranged for the despatch of
business. The buildings are of wood. Water-power is supplied
by the Saugeen River. The mills are situated a short distance
West of the principal street. In the Woollen Factory is a
set of manufacturing machines complete. Custom carding and
fulling is likewise executed.
Smith's Tannery.-This is one of the most important enterprises
in the town. Mr. Thomas Smith, the proprietor, established
himself in Durham as a Saddler and Harness maker some years since, and
about seven years ago added tannery to his former business.
The establishment has grown on his hands, till now a
powerful steam engine- is used to assist the operations; a
considerable number of hands are employed, and a large amount
of work turned out, both in the shape of leather and harness. It
also benefits the neighbourhood by creating a good
market for hides, sheepskins; and tanbark. The Tannery and
Saddlery are on Garafraxa street, in the lower town, and
the tall square chimney of the former is a conspicuous object in
glancing over the town.
Rowswell's Pearl Ash Factory.-Situated in the Upper Town,
a short distance west of the main street-Herbert Rowswell,
proprietor. Mr. Rowswell, who is also an extensive
merchant in the town, established the Pearl Ash Factory about
eight years ago, though not at first in Durham. This is the
most important factory of the kind in the County, turning out 400
barrels Pearl Ash annually. It affords a profitable market for
the country surrounding, for ashes and "black salts." For the
latter, the proprietor paid out, in the year 1864, from $5,000
to $6,000. The employment given to coopers, teamsters, &c., is
also a considerable contribution toward the prosperity of the place.
Five hundred cords of wood are to be cut and hauled annually,
to keep the fires going; the material for 400 barrels pearl ash
are to be collected, and the pearl ash itself teamed to Collingwood.
It is by such enterprises the country must thrive.
Sheppard's Brewery, J. W. McDonnell's Furniture Factory,
Parrott's Tin and Sheet Iron Works, &c., &c., may also be mentioned
among the manufactures of the town.
Churches and Public Buildings.-Trinity Church, Episcopal, Upper Town.
Building, frame, Rev. Wm. B. Evans, B.A.
Canada Presbyterian Church. Upper Town. Durham Road, West.
Building, frame. Rev. Wm. Park.
N. C. Methodist Church. Upper Town. Building, frame. Rev. J. H. Fowler.
Wesleyan Methodist Church. Lower Town. Building frame. Rev. Isaac Baker.
Baptist Church. Lower Town. Building frame. Rev. A. Stewart.
Disciples' Meeting House; Upper Village. Frame. Used also as a Court Room.
Orange Hall, at the top of Garafraxa Street hill, in Upper Town.
The lower story is used for the junior division of the Common School,
and frequently for public meetings. Lodge Room in second story.
Common School. A comfortable building on the slope of the hill West
of Main Street. Hugh Jones, Teacher.
Hotels.-Middaugh's [formerly Hunter's] "British Hotel," is
situated East side of the street, in the the Upper Village, at
the corner of the "Durham Road," is a large and commodious
first-class hotel, extensively patronized. H. J. Middaugh, Proprietor.
Koiley's "Durham Hotel" is likewise in the Upper Village,
nearer the top of the hill, and on West side of the street.
It is a comfortable, well-conducted house. James Koiley,
Proprietor. Both, these hotels are of stone.
Mackay's "Argyle Hotel" is on East side of the street,
near the top of the hill in Upper Village. A commodious house,
with extensiye stabling. Hugh Mackay, Proprietor.
"Royal Exchange Hotel," is on the main street, in the Lower
Village some distance South of the river. It has excellent
stabling attached. Henry Cole, Proprietor.
The Post Office has always continued to be called, as at first,
"Bentinck" This is a matter of some inconvenience, and ought to
have been remedied ere this. The Post Office is in the
Lower Village, near the bridge. A. B. McNab, Postmaster.
The County Crown Land Office is in the Upper Village, near the
North end. William Jackson, Esq., Agent. Mr. Jackson was
appointed in 1854. His brother, George Jackson, Esq., the
present Member for the County was first Agent, having been appointed
in 1846 to superintend the settlement of the Durham Road. The
Division Court Office is at the same place, W. Jackson being also
Clerk of Division Court.
Mechanic's Institute.- Not at present in working order.
Loyal Orange Lodge, No. 632, meets in the Orange Hall on the Thursday
evening at or before the full moon. J. W. McDonnell, W. M.;
Thomas Jones, Secretary.
With the exception of a Rifle Company, in very effective
drill there are at present no Societies, apart from the
Magistrates.-George Jackson; M. P. P., David Jackson, Alexander Cochrane,
James Edge, Alexander B. McNab, Robert Dalglish, Archibald Hunter,
James Paterson, James Brown.
Allen, Joseph, Wagon Maker and General Blacksmith; Garafraxa Street, L. T.
Armour, Thomas, Pearlash Worker (at H. Howsell's Factory).
ARGYLE HOTEL, H. Mackay, Proprietor; Garafraxa St., U. T.
Allen, Henry, Farmer, Lower Town.
Andrews, Robert, Boot and Shoemaker, Lower Town.
Baldwin, John, Carpenter, L. .T
Barnes, Mrs., Garafraxa St., L. T.
Burt, Mrs., Garafraxa St., L. T.
Buckingham, F. G., Plasterer, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Brown, Thomas, Farmer, L. T.
Brown, James, J. P., General Merchant; Township Clerk
for Glenelg, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Bailey, George, Blacksmith (at A. & A. Cochrane's Foundry),
Garafraxa St., U. T.
Blair, Benjamin, Ploughmaker, (at A. & A. Cochranes).
Burt, Alex, Blacksmith, (at Joseph Allen's), bds. Mrs. Burt.
Burt, Mrs., Garafraxa St., L.T.
Burt, James, Moulder; Lower Town.
Boulden, Thomas, Carenter, Durham Road West.
BRITISH HOTEL, H. J. Middaugh, Proprietor, Upper Town.
Boyle, William, Boot and Shoemaker, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Brown, Peter, Sawyer, Durham Mills, L. T.
Baker, Rev. Isaac, Wesleyan Methodist, L. T.
CRAWFORD, JOSEPH C., Physician and Surgeon; Associate Coroner
for the County of Grey, Garafraxa St., U. T.
CAMERON & ROSS, General Merchants, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Clark, Henry, Brickmaker, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Cocking, George, Plasterer, L. T.
COCHRANE, A. & A, Proprietors Inkerman Foundry, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Cochrane, Alexander, J. P. (of A. & A. Cochrane), h. Garafraxa St. L. T.
Cochrane, Adam, (of A. & A. Cochrane) h. Garafraxa St. L. T.
CARSON, JOHN, General Merchant and Produce Dealer, Garafraxa St., L.T.
COLE, HENRY, Proprietor, "Royal Exchange Hotel", Garafraxa St., L. T.
Chittick, Christopher, Blacksmith, (at Jos. Allen's), L. T.
DURHAM MILLS, Peter Patterson, Proprietor, Lower Town.
DURHAM PEARLASH WORKS, H. Rowswell, proprietor, Queen St., U. T.
DURHAM HOTEL, James Koiley, Propietor, Upper Town.
DURHAM "STANDARD," White & Johnston, Publishers, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Douglas, Robert, Farmer, L. T.
Dargavell, Wm., Blacksmith, (at Jos. Allen's), bds. same.
Delaney, Michael, labourer, L. T.
Dalglish, Robert, General Merchant and Millowner, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Elliot, Mrs., Tailoress, Queen St., U. T.
EDGE MILLS, John Kelley; lessee, Lower Town.
Evans, Rev. W. B., B. A., Episcopal, Garafraxa St., hill.
EDWARDS, F. H., Watchmaker and Agent for the Sale of Jewellery and
Fancy Goods, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Fowler, Rev. John H., New Connection Methodist, L. T.
FLETCHER, DUNCAN, General Merchant, Garafraxa St., U. T.
FRASER, MATTHEW, General Merchant, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Foreman, Mr., Senr., L. T.
Foreman, Mr.; Division Court Bailiff, L. T.
Fagan, John, labourer, L. T.
Gainer, Owen, labourer, L T.
Gray, Wm., Currier, Smith's Steam Tannery.
Gunn, Jates, Physician and Surgeon, Associate Coroner for Grey,
Garafraxa St., U. T.
GRIFFIN, BARTHOLEMEW, General Merchant, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Graham, Wm., Iron Finisher, (A. & A. Cochrane's Foundry)
HUNTER, ARCHIBALD, J. P., Durham Road East, U. T.
Horton, Robert, Carriage Maker and Trimmer, (A. & A. Cochrane's),
bds. Cole's Hotel.
HUNTER, J. H., General Merchant, Hunter's Buildings, U. T.
Harris, Mrs., Dressmaker and Milliner, Garafraxa St., U. T.
INKERMAN FOUNDRY, A. & A. Cochrane, Proprietors, Lower Town.
ISAACS, GEORGE, Saddle and Harness maker, Garafraxa St., U. T.
JACKSON, GEORGE, M.P. P, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Jackson, David, Farmer, Agent for Canada Permanent Building and
Saving Society, U. T.
JACKSON, WILLIAM, Crown Land Agent for the County of Grey,
Clerk 2nd Division Court, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Jones, James, Sash Maker and Carpenter, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Johnson, John, (of White & Johnson) "Standard" Office; L. T.
JONES, THOMAS, Manufacturer and General Dealer in Boots, Shoes,
Leather & Findings, Garafraxa St., U. T.
JONES, HUGH, Teacher; h. Garafraxa St., U. T.
Jamieson, Joseph, Carpenter, L. T.
Jones, James, Carpenter, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Jack, John, Painter, L. T.
Jamieson, Wm., Carpenter, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Knowles, Mrs., L. T.
Kreiss, George, Cabinet Maker, Garafraxa St., L T.
Kelsey, Norman, Ambrotype and Photographic Artist, U. T.
KELLY, JOHN, Lessee "Edge Mills," Lower Town.
Kelley, John, labourer, Durham Road West.
Kincaid, Robert, Teamster, Edge Mills, L. T.
KOILEY, JAMES, Proprietor, "Durham Hotel," Upper Town.
Leavens, Charles, Saddler (Smith's Steam Tannery and Saddlery).
Lauder, John, Farmer, U. T.
Luke, S. L. M., Painter, h. near Edge Mills, L. T.
MILLER, JOHN A., General Merchant, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Miller, John, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Miller, Victor, teamster (at A. & A. Cochrane's).
McKay, Hugh, Proprietor "Argyle Hotel," Garafraxa St., U. T.
Matthews, George, Carpenter, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Moore, John, Farmer, near Edge Mills, L. T.
Moffat, Charles, Carpenter, Durham Road West.
Middaugh, H. J., Proprietor "British Hotel", Upper Town.
Myghton, Joseph, Nurseryman, Garafraxa St. U. T.
Mockler, Mrs., Millinery and Fancy Goods, Books and Stationery,
British Hotel Buildings, U. T.
Moodie, John, Lower Town.
McDONNELL, DUNCAN, Barrister and Attorney, Garafraxa St., U. T.
McFarlane, Robert, Waggon-maker, Queen street, U.T.
McCauley, Thomas, Carder, Edge MilIs, L.T.
McKinnon, Charles, teamster, Edge Mills, L . T.
McCauley, Wm., Weaver, Edge Mills. L.T..
McKECHNIE, N. & G. (Neil McKechnie and Gibbert McKechnie),
General Merchants, Garafraxa St., L. T.
McKechnie, Miss, Milliner, Garafraxa St., L.T.
McKenzie, Roderick, General Merchant, Garafraxa St., L.T.
McNab, Alexander B. J.P., Postmaster, Insurance Agent, Conveyancer,
and Agent for obtaining Loans. Lower Town.
MCKENZIE & BROTHER (Alex. McKenzie & Arch'd McKenzie),
General Merchants, Garafraxa street, L.T.
McDonnell, J. W., Licensed Auctioneer, Cabinet maker, and
Builder, Garafraxa St., L.T.
McDonald, John, Blacksmith (at A. & A. Cochrane's Foundry), L.T.
McIntyre, D., Tailor, Garafraxa St., L.T.
McCulloch, John, Carpenter, Garafraxa St., L.T.
McGauley, John, Miller, Paterson's Flouring Mills, L.T.
McClure, Robert, Foreman, Paterson's Woollen Factory L.T.
McKenzie, Donald, Boot and Shoemaker, Garafraxa St., L.T.
McCasey, John, labourer, L.T.
Neelands, James, Merchant, Garafraxa St., L. T.
Perry, John, Farmer, near Edge Mills, L.T.
PARROTT, JOHN, Tinsmith, Garafraxa St. L.T.
Park, Rev. Wm., Canada Presbyterian, L.T.
Pringle, Robert, Carpenter, U.T.
Porter, Francis, Millwright, L.T.
Pitt, John, Currier, Smith's Steam Tannery, L.T.
PATERSON, PETER, Proprietor, "Durham Mills," Lower Town.
PARKER & CATTLE, Chemists, Druggists, Seedsmen, &c., Garafraxa St., U.T.
Parker, Henry (of Parker & Cattle), Garafraxa St., U.T.
Paterson, Angus, Paterson's Flouring Mills, L.T.
Paterson, John, Paterson's Flouring Mills, L.T.
ROMBOUGH, W. R., Provincial Land Surveyor and Conveyancer, Garafraxa St., L.T.
Ross, William (of Cameron & Ross), Agent for Western Insurance,
Garafraxa St., U.T.
Ryan, Michael, Clerk, at J. Miller's, Garafraxa St., L.T.
Rowland, John, Constable, Garafraxa St., L.T.
"ROYAL EXCHANGE HOTEL," Henry Cole, Proprietor, L.T.
Renwick, James, Blacksmith, Garafraxa St., L.T.
ROWSWELL, HERBERT, General Merchant, Proprietor Pearlash Factory,
Garafraxa St., U.T.
Slatcher, Wm., Miller, Edge Mills, L.T.
Stewart, Robert, Clerk (at M. Fraser's), Garafraxa St., L.T.
Sullivan, James, Tinsmith (with A. & A. Cochrane), h. Garafraxa St., L.T.
SUTHERLAND, ROBERT, Baker and Confectioner, Garafraxa St., L.T.
Smith, John R., Saddle and harness maker, and Tanner, Garafraxa St., L.T.
SMITH, THOMAS, Proprietor Smith's Steam Tannery, Saddle and
Harness maker, Garafraxa St., L.T.
Stewart, Rev. Alex., Baptist, L.T.
Story, Thomas, Farmer, L.T.
Smith, Robert, Pearlash worker (at H. Rowswell's Pearlash Factory)
SHEWELL, JOHN, Chairmaker and Painter, Garafraxa St., hill.
Stevenson, Stevenson, Moulder (at A. & A. Cochrane's Foundry).
Sypes, Jacob, Waggon-maker (at A. & A..Cochrane's Foundry).
Tuckey, Walter, Butcher, Garafraxa Street, L. T.
Tutton, Wm. H., Waggonmaker, [at A. & A. Cochrane's,]
h. Garafraxa St., L.T.
Vallett, Charles, Teamster, Garafraxa Street, L.T.
WESTERN INSURANCE COMPANY, Wm. Ross, Agent; Office, Garafraxa Street, U. T.
Walton, Thomas, General Blacksmith, Garafraxa Street, U. T.
Waters, George, Miller, Edge Mills, L. T.
Wilson, Mrs., near Edge Mills, L. T.
Wilson, John, near Edge Mills, L. T.
WHITE & JOHNSON, Publishers Durham Standard, Book and Job Printers.
Office, Garafraxa Street, L. T.
White, Robert, [of White & Johnson].
WILLEY, JAMES, Boot and Shoe Maker, Garafraxa Street, L. T.
WOODLAND, JOSHUA, General Merchant, Garafraxa St., U. T.
Wilson, Alex., Tailor, Garafraxa Street, U. T.
WOOD, J. W., Physician and Surgeon, Associate Coroner for Grey. Upper Town.
DURHAM TO WALKERTON.
Proceeding Westward from Durham toward Walkerton and Kincardine;
on the "Durham Road," now gravelled as far as the County Line
at Hanover, we descend from the high upland on which Durham is
situated, and when about three fourths of a mile distant;
cross the Saugeen, which here takes a considerable bend to the
North. After receiving the "Rocky Saugeen," it bends more
Southward, and we shall see it again. Another three fourths of a
mile brings us to a high ridge and a deep cut on the road,
immediately afer passing which a beautiful piece of woods;
about a mile long, opens up, with the road through it as
straight as an arrow, cut out fifty yards or more wide.
We observe an unusual amount of pine in this tract for this
County and prophesy good rates for it when it comes to be
sold. It belongs to the Edge estate. After passing the Edge
woods, we come to an Inn on the left; and now find the
country rolling, with long slopes on the road, though no heavy
"hills." About 5 m. from Durham we come to Chittick's Tavern
and a blacksmiths shop. Half a mile further the road bears away
to the left, to avoid the Saugeen River. We see Fensom's Mills
at our right, where the bend of the road occurs. "Allan Park"
Post Office and store occurs next, 6 m. from Durham. About a
mile further on the road comes out to the straight line again,
and we soon gain sight of Hanover, in a pretty level and well
cleared up neighbourhood. At McGaw's "Hanover Hotel" we strike
the County line, and find we are now 11 m. from Durham and 6 m.
A Post Office on the "Toronto and Sydenham" Road, in the
Township of Melanthon, 11 m. S. E. of Flesherton, and 26 m.
N. W. of Orangeville. Distant from Owen Sound 41 m. Elias
B. Grey, Postmaster; James Mulholland, Acting Postmaster.
Mails on Monday and Tuesday from Flesherton, and on Tuesday
and Friday from Orangeville.
EAST GLENELG P. O.
(Lately changed to "Cornabuss".)
From 1846 to 1850, the chief portion of the County of Grey was
surveyed. Following the surveys pertaining to the leading roads,
came the surveys of the adjoining townships. During this
period, Egremont was surveyed by Mr. Kerr. Mr. Dennis completed
his survey of Bentinck and Glenelg in 1850, and probably Mr. Kerr
in Egremont, and Mr. Gibson in Normanby finished theirs the same
year. The municipal records do not reach back further than 1850.
In tht year the Assessment Roll showed thirty names, nearly
all of them on the ranges parallel to the Garafraxa Road- the
first part of the Township surveyed. For three or four years after,
but few settlers settlers came in. But, in 1854-55, a very large
accession of new settlers took place in the various townships,
and Egremont was favoured among the rest. Its population in 1861,
was 2,934, standing sixth among the townships of Grey. It has, of
course, increased considerably since. Egremont is well settled,
and on the whole, a very excellent township. Looking at this
Township from its Western edge, along the Garafraxa Road, the
Northern half appears pretty hilly which is really the case
generally through the Northern part. The Central part of the
township is rather flat, though of excellent soil. A chain of
small lakes is found, emptying by several small streams into some
of the numerous branches of the Saugeen. Connected with this
miniature lake system is the broad streak of low lying ground
crossing the Garafraxa Road, four or five miles N. of Mount Forest,
and known to all the old travellers on the road as the "Forty mile
Swamp," being that distance from Owen Sound. The South part of the
township is a fine undulating country, with an excellant soil, not
too heavy. The soil is variable, at times sandy, occassionally
gravelly, often a friable loam, and sometimes, though not
often, a heavy clay.
Egremont contains several Post offices, but no village of any
importance after Mount Forest, which is partly in this township.
Schools.-There are nine school Sections wholly within the township,
beside five others, "Union Sections" connected with Normanby.
No. 3 Union. Alexander McRae, teacher. House frame. Furnished
with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 19 from Egremont,
and 18 from Normanby.
No.4 Union (Male). Robert Fairbairn, Teacher. House, brick.
(Mount Forest School). Furnished with maps, &c. Average attendance
for 1864, 32 from Egremont, and 32 from Normanby.
No.4 Union. (Female). Jemima Hay, Teacher. House, frame.
(Mount Forest School). Furnished with Maps, &c. Average attendance
for 1864, 28 from Egremont, and 31 from Normanby =59.
S. S. No. 4. James Allan, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with
Maps, &c. Average attendance 1864, 34.
S. S. No. 5. John Mearns, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with
Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 39.
S. S. No. 6. William Reid, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 24.
S. S. No.7. Henrietta Henry, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 19.
S. S. No.9. Daniel Drimmie, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 20.
S. S. No.10. Thomas Moore, Teacher. House, log. Furnished with
maps, &c. Average attendance for 9 months of 1864, 24.
S. S. No.11. James Cavanagh, Teacher. House log. Furnished
with maps, &c. Re-opened, 1st January, 1865. Average attendance
for first half of 1864, 19.
S. S. No. 12. Robert Legate, Teacher. House, log. Furnished
with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 1864, 18.
S. S. No. 13. Elizabeth Sterratt, Teacher. House, log.
Furnished with Maps, &c. Average attendance for 9 months of 1864, 13.
Union No. 1, and Union No.2, included in Normanby.
Township Officers.-Reeve, Henry Wakefield, (Bentinck P. O.)
Deputy Reeve, John Shields, (Holstein P. O.)
Councillors, J. L. Doyle, S. Wallace, T. Mickleburg.
Clerk, Benjamin Rogers, (Orchard P. O.)
Treasurer, Thomas Brown, (Holstein P. O.)
Magistrates.-Joseph Pilcher, James Brown, Samuel Wallace,
John Shields, Benj. Rogers, F. W. Stevenson.
Census Reports-Occupiers of land in 1861, 528; Do. 20 to 50
acres each, 14; 50 to 100 acres each, 123; 100 to 200 acres
each, 382. Acres under cultivation 10,311. Spring Wheat,
55,691 bushels. Barley, 2,708 bushels. Pease 11,235 bushels.
Oats, 39,887 bushels. Potatoes, 46,040 bushels. Turnips, 17,739
bushels, Hay, 1,015 tons. Maple Sugar, 10,133 lbs. Wool 3,306 lbs.
In 1864, the total number of assessed Residents on the Roll, was
686, which would represent a total population of about 3,500,
which may be assumed as the present population. The number of acres
on the Assessment Roll-"Resident" and "Non-resident,"-is 73,296.
The value of Real Estate in the Township, is set down,
(under the curious system prevailing in the County, of assessing
at one-fourth the market value), at $226,364. Say one million dollars.
The return of Personal property ($6,200), is so utterly worthless,
that it does not even furnish us with data for an estimate.
In Egremont there are twenty two Concessions. The 1st, 2nd.,
and 3rd, are parallel to the Garafraxa Road; the 4th to 22nd
inclusive, lie from East to West; the 4th being on the Southern
line of the Township; and the 22nd on its Northern limit. In
the eight Townships forming the Southern two tiers in Grey, the
Concessions run East and west; and are numbered from the South.
In the Northern half of the County the Concessions lie North
and South, and are numbered generally from the East. As in
Egremont all are set down as "Householders" who have not yet
obtained their patents from Government; we have omitted the distintion
made in the Rolls, between "Freeholder" and "Householder"-it
would be invidious here.
Acheson, Thomas 2 12
Allan, James 3 13
Amos, Alex 19 11
Armstrong, Chnstopher 1 7
Aitkins, Alex Sr. 2 27
Allan, James Sr. 3 15
Allan, D. Teacher 3 26
Acheson, John 18 1
Adams, James 18 8
Amos, George 18 12
Alles, Andrew 15 3
Aberdeen, Alex 15 7
Adams, Henry 2 33
Adams, Robert 12 3
Avery, Lacey 2 54
Andrew, Thomas 9 17
Ashdown, James 2 60
Bigham, Hadley 3 66
Bigham, Amos 6 7
Bigham, R. J. 6 7
Brown, Duncan 6 24
Brown, John 6 28
Brown, Roger 5 23
Bryans, James 1 3
Blaney, John 2 8
Baird, James 3 8
Babcock, Johiel 22 1
Baxter, James 22 12
Bothwell, Stewart 22 17
Bell, John 22 27
Bell, Albert 21 10
Brown, Thomas 20 7
Bell, Thomas 19 15
Bradley, Wm. 1 18
Bradley, George 2 21
Brown, Wm. 2 25
Brown, Mrs. R. 2 26
Black, Alex 3 16
Brown, John 18 26
Brown, Malcolm 18 27
Bruce, James 16 5
Baird, John 15 14
Batey, Isaac 1 14
Buchan, Mrs. Agnes; Storekeeper 1 18
Brown, James Bricklayer 2 29
Brown, Thomas 2 39
Brown, James 2 40
Brown, Adam, jr. Carpenter 2 42
Brown, Adam, Sr. 2 42
Bowman, James 3 32
Brown, Robert 3 41
Burrrows, Wm. 3 42
Brody, James 14 11
Bunston, Jos., Merchant 13 11
Boax, George 13 11
Buchanan, Neil 12 21
Barton, George 1 19
Baker, John 2 51
Bartley, Robt. 3 45
Burrow, Robt. 3 47
Bouldings, Robt. 10 7
Bigham, John 9 18
Bye, Job 9 19
Bouldings, Charles 8 1
Bye, Robert 8 9
Bye, George 8 9
Buchanan, Alex 8 23
Bowman, Wm. 7 2
Blanchard, Gilman 7 6
Bentley, Jas., Shoemaker 1 26
Burgess, James 1 30
Cochrane, John S. 1 1
Cochrane, Robt. 1 2
Crittenden, James 2 5
Crittenden, Isaac 2 7
Chipperfield, G. W. 3 6
Croft, Henry 19 1
Coleridge, Daniel 19 13
Connor, Thomas 19 19
Cummins, Michael 19 9
Chapman, Wm 2 17
Chapman, Thomas 2 18
Campbell, Peter 2 23
Campbell, Gilbert 3 21
Calvert, Wm 18 7
Clark, Donald 18 20
Clark, Neil 18 21
Clark, Arch. 18 23
Calvert, James 17 8
Cleaver, George 15 A
Cripps, Adam 1 15
Cornell, Joseph N 1 18
Campbell, James 2 34
Crawford, Peter, Sr 14 9
Cameron, Allan 14 13
Clark, Duncan 14 15
Coutts, Alex 13 A
Campion, Thomas 13 5
Campion, Francis 13 5
Cameron, Hugh 13 9
Calder, John 13 21
Campbell, Donald 12 17
Campbell, Hector 11 17
Carmichael, Donald 11 18
Carons, Patrick 1 20
Cameron, Wm. 1 22
Cowan, Wm., Sr. 2 50
Cowan, Wm. Jr. 2 52
Coxhead, Eli 9 23
Caulfield, Wm. 8 17
Cameron, Arch. 8 29
Currie, Donald 7 12
Campbell, Peter 7 24
Campbell, Duncan 7 31
Carson, Jacob J. 1 29
Cornell, Joseph 1 30
Canham, Harry, Cabinetmaker 1 33
Curle, Robert 6 3
Currie, Dugald 6 12
Currie, Wm. 6 13
Campbell, John 6 22
Curle, Wm. 5 8
Darby, David 2 14
Dodds, James 2 2
Doherty, Jacob 3 12
Dixon, James 22 15
Dunnet, Thomas 21 A
Douglas, Thos. 21 1
Dodd, Wm. 21 18
Dobson, James 20 21
Daniels, Thos. Shoemaker 1 11
Doyle, W. G. 2 24
Dixon, John 18 24
Doherty, Mrs.Rachael 17 11
Drimmie, John 16 11
Drimmie, Alex 15 25
Dundas, James 13 25
Doupe, Charles 11 1
Dice, Francis 11 25
Dice, James 11 26
Dice, George 11 27
Dawson, Robert 1 24
Dillon, Wm. 10 17
Dunbar, Wm. 1 31
Doyle, Rich'd, Blacksmith 1 33
Davidson, Alex 3 64
Donough, Andrew 6 2
Davis, C. H. 6 6
Douglas, Wm. 4 13
Emery, Robert 19 5
Ellice, Richard 16 1
Eccles, Wm. 16 7
Elliot, John 16 8
Ellice, John 15 1
Ellice, Moses 15 2
Eaket, Samuel 8 16
Elliot, James 1 33
Fleming, Stuart 2 11
Fleming, Thomas 2 11
Fleming, Samuel, Jr. 2 13
Fleming, James 3 11
Ferguson, Alex 22 11
Fitzpatrick, Patr'k., Shoemaker 1 10
Ferguson, John 17 4
Freeman, Richard 3 29
Freeman, Wm. 3 29
Freeman, Samson 3 31
Ferguson, James 12 14
Fairbairn, John 12 20
Ferguson, George 11 14
Fitzgerald, Henry 1 21
Farrel, Charles 2 49
Farrell, Carons 3 58
Forsyth, Henry 5 6
Garnett, James 3 2
Gager, Owen 3 7
Garson, John 18 17
Geddes, James 16 A
Galbraith, Neil 14 22
Greenly, Matthew 12 A
Gordon, James 1 24
Gillies, Charles 10 18
Grimshaw, Z. 9 A
Gayley, John 9 3
Gibson, George 7 9
Giles, Wm. 3 60
Gardiner, Thomas 5 1
Hill, Thos 1 4
Hamilton, Alex 21 5
Hargrave, Wm. 22 18
Hooper, James 21 13
Hornsby, John, Sr 21 16
Hornsby, John, Jr 21 15
Hately, David 17 A
Haw, Robinson 17 25
Henderson, Robert 16 12
Henderson, Alex 15 13
Heard, James 15 19
Hicks, James 15 22
Hiscock, John 14 17
Hiscock, Fred 14 17
Hughes, Edward 13 24
Howe, Wm. 13 27
Houston, James 12 12
Hamilton, John 11 3
Howson, Andrew 11 8
Hilts, Solomon 2 48
Horshurgh, John 2 52
Hunt, James 2 5
Healy, Patrick 3 43
Hilts, Michael 3 48
Hilts, Abner 3 48
Hunter, Finlay 10 1
Hunter, John 9 1
Henry, Mrs. E. 9 8
Hewitt, James 8 3
Hewitt, Robert 8 12
Hudson, John 8 15
Huston, David 7 25
Hunt, Wm. 2 59
Hunt, John 2 59
Heener, Josiah 2 63
Harding, John 2 62
Horn, Robert 6 5
Irvine, Mrs. Jane 1 6
Isaac, James 17 12
Isaac, Wm. 17 13
Isaac, John 17 13
Iles, Daniel 9 20
Ireland, Isaac, Pumpmaker 1 33
Irving, James 3 64
Johnson, James 3 9
Johnston, John N. 18 6
Jaffray, Alex 17 18
Jackson, Barnabas 16 24
Jack, Wm. Sr. 11 15
James, Wm. 8 21
Johnston, George Sr. 4 1
Johnston, George Jr. 4 2
Konold, Wm. 22 19
Kennedy, Angus 17 23
Keith, Thomas 15 4
Kidd, Samuel 3 33
Kerr, Chas. & Co., Blacksmiths 3 40
Kerr, Alex 14 20
Kennedy, John 11 4
Kennedy, Robt. 11 4
Kennedy, Martin 11 5
Kennedy, Wm. 11 6
Keith, Peter 7 20
Keith, Wm. 3 57
Keith, Hugh 5 17
Keith, Arch'd 4 20
Keith, Andrew 4 20
Keith, Duncan 4 21
Kennedy, John 4 22
Kennedy, Robert 4 23
Keith, Duncan 4 25
Keith, Roger 4 26
Lepard, Nelson 2 3
Lepard, Christopher 2 4
Lepard, Hiram 2 4
Linnel, Joseph 2 5
Linnel, Wm. 2 7
Lawrence, George 22 4
Lawrence, Wm. 21 6
Lawrence, John 21 7
Lindsey, Jas. 21 11
Lamont, James 21 24
Legate, Robt. 20 12
Leask, Jas. 20 14
Leith, John 20 19
Lamb, Wm. 19 2
Lamb, David 19 3
Lamb, Joseph 19 4
Lee, Wm. 18 1
Leslie, Andrew 17 15
Long, Robt. 16 14
Little, Arch'd 1 16
Lewis, Wm. 1 17
Langdale, John 13 28
Lumley, William 12 2
Lumley, George 12 5
Logan, Wm. 12 8
Leslie, Peter 3 50
Lamont, Angus 10 10
Lamont, Arch'd 10 11
Lilwall, Wm. 10 21
Lamont, James 8 11
Leversage, James 7 28
Lindsay, Wm. 6 4
Mack, Joseph 3 4
Mead, Wm. 3 5
Morton, David 22 3
Machesney, James 22 5
Muir, John 22 21
Matthews, James 20 A
Moor, Joseph 19 12
Moodie, Peter 19 25
Martin, James 19 20
Morrison, Robert 1 7
Main, Nelson 3 27
Main, Robert 3 28
Myers, James 17 19
Moodie, Robert 17 26
Moodie, George 17 27
Mills, Mrs. A 16 20
Merchant, Joseph 15 6
Murphy, George 15 23
Main, Adam 2 37
Main, John 2 41
Morley, John 14 A
Mutch, Alex 14 4
Mark, John 12 1
Murdock, James 12 13
Miller, John 12 15
Mitchell, Charles 12 18
Morrison, Walter 11 7
Mickleborough, Thomas 3 49
Morrison, George 8 4
Morrison, John 7 3
Mosier, Jacob 3 71
Morrison, John 6 1
Montgomery, Donald 5 4
Muir, Robert 5 7
Morrison, Robert 4 5
McGregor, John 1 2
McMicken, James 3 8
McLachlan, Daniel 3 14
McFadden, John 22 9
McKinnon, Donald 22 20
McKechnie, Hugh 22 25
McLachlan, Arch'd 22 26
McDonald, Neil 21 19
McCormick, Dugald 21 21
McIntyre, John 21 25
McDonald, John 21 26
McQueen, John 20 22
McQueen, Charles 20 23
McDonald, Robert 20 25
McPhail, John 19 22
McCannell, Donald 19 23
McCannell, James 19 24
McDonald, Alex 19 26
McTavish, Alex 1 8
McIntee, Edward 1 12
McKenzie, James 2 16
McDonald, Donald 18 25
McKenzie, Donald 17 5
McKenzie, Alex 17 9
McDonald, Alex 17 20
McDougall, Lachlin 17 21
McDougall, Malcolm 17 23
McNorton, Daniel 15 21
McNalty, Thomas 1 18
McKenzie, Neil, Merch't 2 41
McGillivray, John 14 19
McGregor, Alex 13 3
McInnes, Malcolm 13 14
McEachern, Arch'd 13 19
McEachern, John 13 20
McLean, Angus 11 10
McPhee, Malcolm 11 9
McArthur, Neil 11 11
McArthur, Alex 11 13
McIntee, Patrick 1 19
McCallum, John 1 20
McKellar, Neil, Jr. 2 56
McEvery, Fanton 3 46
McEachern, Malcolm 10 5
McEachern, Peter 10 6
McFadyen, Peter 10 12
McEachern, John 10 13
McEachern, Gilbert 10 14
McQueen, Peter 10 19
McClarty, John 10 9
McDougall, Henry 9 2
McEachern, Angus 9 4
McEachern, John 9 7
McIntyre, John 9 7
McClarty, Arch'd 9 9
McClarty, Charles 9 10
McPhee, Dugald 8 28
McBride, John 7 7
McBride, Robert 7 8
McFadyen, Wm. 7 15
McMillan, Malcolm 7 22
McGough, Jas., Carpenter 1 30
McKellaar, Neil, Sen. 2 57
McCauley, John 3 59
McGee, Henry 3 62
McLean, John 3 68
McIntyre, Alex 6 9
McPhee, Arch'd 6 14
McPhee, Neil 6 15
McPhee, Peter 6 16
McDougall, James, Sen. 6 16
McLachlan, James 6 18
McPhee, Donald 6 20
McPhee, Dugald 6 21
McFarlane, Hugh 5 16
McLachlan, Duncan 5 18
McLachlan, John 5 19
McQueen, Donald 5 24
McLachlan, John 5 26
McQueen, John 5 28
McIntyre, Nichol 4 8
McIntyre, Joseph 4 14
McIntyre, John 4 15
McIntyre, Arch'd 4 16
McIntyre, Peter 4 17
McIntyre, Duncan 4 17
McArthur, Peter 4 24
McCulloch, George 4 27
McQueen, Allan 4 29
Nason, Joseph 1 2
Neven, David 22 23
Nixon, James 21 1
Neal, George 1 10
Nelson, John 18 13
Nelson, John 17 2
Nelson, Wm. 15 9
Nelson, Hugh 13 7
Nelson, James 13 8
Nicholson, Alex 13 13
Nicol, John 13 23
Nichol, Hugh 12 19
Nelson, John Carpenter 1 22
Orchard, Samuel 2 14
Orchard, John 1 13
Orr, Alex 13 17
Orr, Neil 13 18
O'Connell, John 2 46
Orchard, Paul 7 27
O'Hara, Oliver 2 58
Patterson, Hugh 19 A
Patterson, John 20 2
Pace, John 2 28
Pollok, Alex 3 25
Pollok, George 3 22
Pearce, Garrett 18 10
Pinder, Wm. 1 15
Paul, James 11 22
Parker, James 1 21
Pennock, Ira 2 44
Peckover, Daniel 10 8
Patton, James 1 25
Pelcher, Joseph 1 32
Pitt, John 20 20
Quinn, Samuel 2 20
Quinn, Isaac 3 19
Quinn, Thomas 3 19
Quinn, Gerry 18 11
Quinn, John 3 34
Reid, Peter 20 9
Reid, Gavin 19 8
Ranton, John 18 3
Rutherford, John Carpenter 18 15
Ross, Allen 15 18
Rogers, Benj. 1 14
Robertson, David 1 16
Reid, James 2 36
Reid, Thomas 3 35
Reid, Wm. 3 37
Romanes, Wm. Blacksmith, &C 3 40
Robbie, Charles 14 1
Robbie, Arch'd 14 2
Rosa, James 14 8
Reed, Robert V. 14 21
Reid, Jackson 13 10
Rawn, Henry 13 15
Rawn, Abijah 13 16
Roberts, Edward 12 27
Roberts, Ezekiel 12 28
Reid, Joshua 2 49
Rawn, Frederick 2 50
Rawn, John 3 53
Rawn, Nicholas 3 53
Rawn, George 3 55
Rawn, Stephen 3 56
Robb, Samuel 10 16
Robb, Joseph 9 15
Rodger, Elliot 6 4
Ross, David 5 9
Rogers, James 5 12
Ray, Colin 5 2
Rutherford, John 4 4
Stevenson, F. W. 5 14
Stevenson, Horatio 5 13
Ssott, John 6 A
Smith, George 3 71
Simpson, John, 3 68
Sirr, Mrs. H. 1 5
Smith, John 22 A
Setter, George 22 7
Stephenson, Joseph 21 17
Smail, Walter 20 17
Scott, Wm. 19 14
Smail, John 19 16
Sirr, Wm. 1 9
Sirr, Thos. 1 9
Sharp, Dawson 2 19
Sharp, Joseph 2 22
Starratt, Th. 3 20
Sharp, David 3 24
Spencer, John, Sr. 18 9
Shearer, James 17 7
Skinner, H. W., Butcher 18 22
Snell, Wm. 17 12
Schank, Andrew 16 3
Spencer, John 16 18
Swanston, Andrew 2 30
Stevenson, John 2 32
Stonehouse, Mich'l, Shoemaker 2 41
Shields, John 3 39
Sim, James 14 3
Sim, Robert 14 5
Sim, David 14 6
Scott, Samuel 14 7
Scott, Wm. 14 10
Shields, James 14 10
Sinclair, Duncan 14 14
Scythes, Henry 13 6
Swanston, James 14 18
Smith, John 13 1
Spence, Daniel 12 23
Snell, George 12 24
Slesser, Wm. 11 22
Spicer, Richard 11 23
Shell, Christopher 1 22
Spence, George 1 24
Sharp, James 2 47
Seaman, Smith 2 45
Shell, Lacy, Carpenter 3 48
Spicer, John, 10 15
Smith, Andrew 9 17
Stewart, John 9 22
Stephenson, George 8 A
Sinclair, Malcolm 8 5
Sinclair, John 8 6
Starratt, Isaac 7 1
Shearer, Alex 1 31
Smith, Alfred 1 32
Torrey, John 19 7
Taylor, Robert 17 17
Taylor, Alex. Merchant 17 17
Traynor, Peter 1 17
Tanner, Thomas 3 30
Troup, James 12 4
Traynor, Henry 12 16
Torrance, James 3 54
Tebby, Henry 9 16
Thorp, Thomas 1 26
Thornton, John 6 11
Vollet, Thomas 1 1
Vollet, Aaron 2 1
Vessie, James 2 10
Whitmore, John 22 6
Whitmore, Samuel 22 7
Wilson, Hugh 22 16
Wilder, Thos 1 2
Wilder, William 21 2
Wilder, Nathanael 21 3
Waters, Matthew 21 12
Wilder, David 20 3
Wilder, Charles 20 3
Wilder, Wm. 20 5
Wilson, Wm. 20 6
Wilder, Daniel 20 1
Wilson, John 20 26
Wilson, James 20 27
Weir, Alex 20 15
Wilson, John 1 10
Wilder, Isaac 18 4
Wilder, Hiram 18 5
Wilder, Peter 18 6
Wilder, Russell 16 4
Williams, John 16 6
Woodall, Matthew 16 15
Werrey, Henry 16 16
Weir, Robt. 16 23
Webster, John 14 12
Watson, John 14 27
Walmsley, Jonathan 13 2
White, John 13 4
White, Jasper 13 4
Wilson, James 13 26
Whitehead, Charles 12 6
Way, John 12 22
Waddell, Adam 11 21
Waddell, And., Shoemaker 11 24
Whitley, John 1 19
Wilson, Emanuel 3 51
Wires, Wm. 3 52
Waddell, Thos. 10 22
Wardell, John 7 A
White, Wm. 7 4
Wyatt, George 7 9
Wallace, James 7 10
Watson, George 7 14
Ward, Chester 7 18
Wilson, Wm., Innkeeper 1 26
Walker, Wm. 1 28
Wright, Thomas 1 29
Wilson, Daniel 6 10
Wright, David 5 2
Wallace, Albert 5 11
Wallace, Samuel 4 9
Wallace, William 4 11
Young, John 3 61
Bill Martin, Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.
My Site Map