Search billions of records on

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Ro-Rz

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Robbe Henry N.
Robbe Nils H.
Rockney Knute
Rockne Ole Knudtson
Rockney O.L. Mrs.
Rodningen Ole Nelson
Rognes Jake N.
Rogness Nettie Mrs.
Rognlien Anton M.
Rognlien Martin E.
Rognlien Martin
Rognlien Martin M. 2
Rognlien Mathilde Mrs.
Rognlien Nicholas M.
Rognrud Albert G.
Rognrud Gunarius G. Pederson
Rongstad Ole
Ronning Oscar E.
Roiseland Aaren J.
Romundstad Andres J.
Romundstad Lars Olson
Romundstad Michael J.Roseland Andrew
Roseland Edmund
Rosendale Andrew
Roseth H. Mrs.
Roseth H.
Roseth O. O.
Roseth Olson Martin L.
Rudd Andrew O.
Rud Anton
Rud Ever Hanson
Rud Ever Hanson Mrs.
Rudd Ole Martin
Rude Harold
Rumberger Olive Mrs.
Runnestrand Anna Mrs.
Runnestrand Elling
Runnestrand Knute E.
Runnestrand Knudt E. 2
Runnestrand Ole
Runyon Harold J. Mrs.
Rustad H. M.
Rudd Oline Ericksmoen Mrs.
Rydberg C.A. Mrs.
Rye Andrew Mrs.
Ryerson August Mrs.
Rygh Hans T.


"Hans L. Roseth, an old, respected and esteemed citizen and farmer of Preston, died at his home west of this village last Saturday, February 24, 1906, aged 61 years and 10 months. Mr. Roseth was born in Norway. He came to this country in 1870, settling in Newcomb valley in the town of Arcadia, where he remained two years, then came to the town of Preston and remained its resident thereof until his death. He possessed a strong constitution, was a great worker, and enjoyed robust health up to about a year ago, when he was taken sick, being confined to his bed during the greater portion of his illness. He suffered a great deal, but the exact cause of his death seemed to baffle the skill of local phyisicians. Deceased leaves to mourn his death a wife and six chidren, three sons and three daughters, the children being as follows: Peter L., Claus, Lewis, Mrs. Ole Roseth, Huldah and Anna, all living in Preston. The funeral was held from the United Lutheran church in Blair Tuesday at 2 p.m., the rites being largely attended Relatives of the deceased have the sympathy of their friends in their bereavement." THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - March 1, 1906

"Mrs. Hans Roseth was born in Vestre Toten, Norway, April 15, 1847. Her maiden name was Clara Sather. Her parents were Paul and Elline Sather. She was married to Hans L. Roseth, June 1st, 1870. They made their home in Newcomb Valley shortly after their arrival here where they resided for about a year.
Later they moved to a homestead north of Blair, which is now owned by Bennie Knudtson. Here they lived for fourteen years, enduring all the privations of pioneer settlers. Then they bought the place now owned by their son, Lewis, where they resided until the death of her husband February 24, 1906. Since then she has been living with her sons, Peter and Claus.
Seven children were born to them, namely: Peter, Emma, Mrs. Ole Roseth, Claus, Laura, who died in infancy, Hulda, Lewis and Annie.
Mrs. Roseth had been in poor health for over twenty years and suffered a great deal but was always very patient and especially so during her last illness.
She passed away peacefully March 7th, 1918 feeling certain she would meet her Saviour." THE BLAIR PRESS - March 14, 1918

"Funeral services for Ole O. Roseth, who passed away at his home in Taylor Wednesday, October 4, 1950, were held at the Zion Lutheran chyurch in Blair Saturday afternoon with the Reverend B. J. Hatlem and L.W. Halvorson officiating. Burial was in the Zion cemetery. Pall bearers were Lloyd Roseth, Arthur Roseth, Alf Moen, Carl Sjuggerud, Ivan Anderson and Rudolph Anderson. Carrying flowers were Helen Anderson and Dorothy and Carol Moen.
Ole Olson Roseth was born in Vestre Toten, Norway on November 29, 1864, to his parents Dina Christianson and Ole Christianson Rosethhoug. He was baptized and confirmed in the Asa church in Norway and his boyhood was spent at the home of his parents.
In 1881, at the age of seventeen he came to America, making the long journey alone. He was married on April 56, 1888 to Emma Marie Hanson Roseth. They lived a happy and blessed life together for more than 62 years. Two children Oscar and Clarence, were born to them, who they raised to manhood. Mr. Roseth also played the role of father and wise counseler to Victoria, the orphaned daughter of Tillie Jorgenson and to Agnes, Lloyd and Helen Roseth, the orphaned children of Lewis and Selma Roseth.
For over 50 years he made his home on a farm in Larkin Valley where he was well known for his friendiness and willingness to help his neighbors. He also hauled cream and butter for many years with horses and wagon for T.I. Gilbert. A few years ago the family moved to Taylor where he quietly passed away at his home on October 4th, 1950.
He leaves to mourn his death his wife and two son Oscar and Clarence at home; a sister Mrs. Emlia Tagbakken of North Dak., a sister, Carrie in Norway and a brother Hans in Denver, Col. besides a large number of nieces and nephews and a host of friends." THE BLAIR PRESS - October 12, 1950

"Hans Martinson Rustad was born in Vestre Toten Norway, May 25, 1846, but most of his youth and early manhood was spent in Ostre Toten, Norway.
About 1867 he married Anne Johnson, with whom he had nine children, three of whom died in infancy or early childhood. After the loss of their first child, Rustad and his wife in 1870, came to U.S. Their first five years in this country were spent in Vernon and LaCrosse counties.
In 1875, Mr. Rustad homesteaded a forty of land in the town of Hale, this county. Later he purchased a forty in the town of Pigeon, where he built a good home where he lived during the last forty years of his life. Mrs. Rustad died September 27, 1922.
In his youth, Mr. Rustad learned the trade of making wooden spoons, ladles and other domestic implements. I would perhaps be more correct to say he learned the art, etc., for the products of his hands were artistic in design and finish. But after coming here, he soon found out that Americans prefer implements made of iron, tin and other metals. Therefore, he devoted the rest of his life to farming.
Beginning empty-handed on a piece of land which many had passed by as comparatively worthless he found the road to success long and steep. But slowly and persistently he went forward till he had a good home without the shadow of a mortgage. When he was about 80 years old, he sold his home to his son, John Rustad, with whom he passed his last years. His daughter, Emma Rustad, was also constantly with him.
Mr. Rustad was a man of sturdy build and dignified bearing. He was independent in thought and action, upright and dependable in business affairs, a good citizen and sincere Christian. Up till a few years ago he enjoyed good health and only for a short time did he burden his children. He died on September 9, 1930, on the hill-side which he had converted into a pleasant haven for rest and comfort.
He is survived by six children as follows: Henry and Marcus Rustad of Anaconda, Mont.; Alice Bruil of Maxbass, N.D.; John and Emma of Pigeon, and Albert of Osseo, Wis. His funeral was conducted by Rev. Christopherson September 13, and was well attended.
May his children make their lives as successful as he did and the world will have no reason for complaint. H.A. Anderson, September 22, 1930" THE WHITEHALL TIMES - September 25, 1930

"Edmund Roseland, whose 89th birthday fell on Thanksgiving day this year, died Friday morning at Madison general hospital, following an operation performed November 24. Mr. Roseland made his home with a daughter, Mrs. Raymond Hardie, at Franklin. He was a retired farmer. He has a brother, 91, and two sisters, aged 81 and 76 still living in Norway. A brother, Ole, died three years ago at the age of 81 , and another brother, Andrew, died two years ago from injuries when struck by a car at the age of 78.
Roseland was boern in Hardanger, Norway, November 27, 1858. He worked as a fisherman and in the lumber industry. He served his required time in the army, and at 23 came to America and a year later married Sarah Stone to whom he had become engaged in Norway. The couple settled first in Rock county, and walked over a large part of Wisconsin, seeking work and travelling as they worked.
Reaching Trempealeau county in 1899, they lived for a time with Mrs Roseland's brother in Washington Coulee, town of Ettrick, purchasing land and erecting a home. Mrs. Roseland died in March, 1939.
A monument has been erected at Wilmar, Minn. to Roseland's grandmother, Guri Roseland, who at the age of 49, was in a settlement attacked by Indians. Many were massacred amd she saw her husband and a son killed and another son wounded. She and a daughter were captured by the Indians but escaped. She made her way to a neighbor at some distance, travelling most of the night to reach them. Later she drove an ox team, taking her baby and three wounded men to get help. The monument commemorating her heroic record was erected in 1907.
Survivors include the two sisters in Norway, Mmes. Yorand Uglebus ad Anna Moe, and the brother, Arne; four sons, Louis of Minneapolis, Clarence and Elwin of Melvin and Alvie of Whitehall; five daughters, Mrs. Raymond Hardie, Franklin; Annie of Mendota; Mrs. Kila Schimnowski and Mrs. Alfred Kittleson of Milwaukee and Mrs. John McKeeth of Galesville; 40 grandchildren and 31 great-grandchildren. One son died in infancy and another son, John, died while residing at Black River Falls.
Funeral services were held on Tuesday, December 9 at the Raymond Hardie home at Franklin, and at First Lutheran church in North Beaver Creek. The Rev. K.M. Urberg officiated and burial was in the church cemetery." THE BLAIR PRESS - December 11, 1947

"Andrew Roseland, 77, was instantly killed shortly after 1 a.m. Sunday when he was struck by a car drive by Ernest Erickson of Ettrick as Roseland stepped from behind a parked car in front of the Helmer Chrisitianson harness shop on Main Street. Erickson was driving into town from the north. Martin Wiemer, Independence, county coroner was called and decided that the accident was unavoidable. Roseland died of a skull fracture.
Roseland was born in Hardanger, Norway August 22, 1868, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Lars Roseland. He came to America in 1893, going to the home of his brother Edmund who then lived at Clinton, Wis. He was married in 1911 and his wife died the same year. The greater part of his life in America was spent at the home of his brother Edmund who farmed in Washinton Coulee, Ettrick township. For the past five years or more Andrew made his home with Mary and William Flaherty in Ettrick.
Survivors are his brother, Edmund, who makes his home with Mr. and Mrs. Ray Hardie of Franklin, a brother Arnie and two sisters, Yorand and Annie in Norway.
Funeral services were held Wednesday, August 29, at 2 p.m. at the Runnestrand funeral chapel in Ettrick and at 2:30 p.m. at the First Lutheran church in North Beaver Creek with the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery." BLAIR PRESS - March 30, 1945

"Ths death of Ole Nelson Rodningen occurred at his home in Plumb Creek September 7, after an illness of five weeks with gangrene of the foot.
Ole Nelson Rodningen was born in Ostre Slidre, Valders, Norway, August 10, 1834, and in 1866 was united in marriage to Ingeborg Nelson Dovre. Thirteen children were born to this union, eight of whom preceded him in death. In 1868 they imigrated to America and settled in Winona county, Minn., where they resided until the summer of 1870 when they moved to Trempealeau county, and settled on a farm in the town of Arcadia, where he lived until the time of his death. He was one of the earliest settlers in this part of the county, and one of the organizers of the United Lutheran church at Independence. He was an active worker in the church as long as his health permitted, but for a number of years before his death he was unable to attend church with the rest of the family. Deceased was highly respected which was shown by the beautiful floral tributes of his many friends. He leaves a wife, and five children, all of whom were at his bedside, namely, Mrs. Herman Moe, Gabe, Rena, Nelius and Mrs. Gabe Anderson. The funeral took place on Friday, September 10, and was largely attended. There was a short service at the home, after which the cortege proceded to the Lutheran church in Independence. The ceremonies were conducted by Rev. A.J. Orke of Pigeon. The remains were laid to rest in Bethel cemetery." THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - September 23, 1915

Agnes Berdella Otterson was born February 6, 1906, the daughter of Oluf and Marie Otterson. She was baptized by Rev. Ole Gulbrandsen March 4, 1906 in the Beaver Creek Church. She was confimed by Rev. A.J. Boe in the Zion Lutheran church at Blair with the class of 1920. After having completed the grade school, she attended the Blair High School and graduated with the class of 1924. Afterwards, she attended the LaCrosse Normal. She was united in marriage to Harold J. Runyon by Rev. T.E. Sweger January 25, 1926. They made their home in LaCrosse for a time, later moving to Minneapolis, where they have since resided. Twin children were born to this union, Dorothy Lois and Doris Lucille. She was taken ill with an infected tooth early in June and on the 9th was removed to the Minneapolis General Hospital, where she passed away on the 19th of June 1930 at 7:15 a.m. She bore all her suffering in patience and with prayer to and trust in her Redeemer she awaited the end. She leaves to mourn her untimely departure her grief-stricken husband and children, her mother and the following sisters who were all at her bedside when she passed away: Nettie, Mrs. Ed Anderson, Osseo; Amanda, Mrs. Andrew Larkin, Disco; Mabel, Mrs. Carl M. Peterson, Black River Falls; and a host of friends to whom her gracious and winning personality had so deeply endeared her. A dear friend, a loving wife and mother, a dutiful daughter and affectionate sister is gone but her memory will long be cherished by those who knew her. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T.E. Sweger at the Mrs. Marie Otterson home in Blair and at the Beaver Creek church on Monday, June 22. Interment was made beside her father who preceded her in death August 29, 1909. There was a large attendance at the funeral and many floral tributes. Pallbearers were Kaari Mork, Archie Bratland, Harry Stai, Oscar Fredrixon, Larence Hoganson and Philip Bersing. Flower girls were Lucille Westerlund, Mrs. Goodwin Nelson, Mildred Hethson, Amy Kjentvet, Mrs. Elvin Rognes and Mrs. Oscar Fredrixon. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

Mrs. C.A. Rydberg passed away at the Community Hospital in Black River Falls on Thursday, August 20, 1964 from a heart attack after a few hours illness. Surviving are her husband, one daughter, Mrs. John (Madalyn) Huecker, LaCrosse; two sisters, Mrs. Linda Gresswell, Los Angeles; Mrs. Helen Sullivan, Milwaukee; one brother, Elmer Berg of Port Angeles, Washington and two granddaughters, Karla and Karen Huecker. Mrs. Rydbeg was born April 1, 1888 to Mr. and Mrs. Martin A. Berg, pioneer settlers of the Lee community. Besides her parents, one sister, Julie Berg and two brothers, August and Melvin Berg preceded her in death. Gertie Berg was united in marriage on April 20, 1910 to Carl Alfred Rydberg and after residing in Minneapolis for a brief period, the couple has made Melrose their home for 52 years. A Golden Wedding Anniversary celebration was observed in April 1960. Funeral arrangements were made by the Smith's Funeral Service with services at the Melrose Methodist church on August 24, the Rev. Bruce Willet officiating. The floral tributes were many and beautiful. Burial was in the Melrose cemetery. Pallbearers for Mrs. Rydberg were Roy Lutz, C. F. Gilbertson, Wayne Fabian, Stanton Gilbertson, Wayne Lutz and Ruel Young. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

Ole E. Runnestrand died at his home at Ettrick on the 15th inst., aged about 50 years. He had been in poor health for several years. Deceased was born in Bergen, Norway in 1866 and at the age of 18 years came to America. He worked for H.A. Young in the mill at Blair for several years, and later was employed in the store of I. Pederson at Ettrick, when after some years of efficient work he became a member of the firm. In 1893 he married Hannah Johnson. She died in 1899. Five children survive. Revs. Urberg and Bestul officiated at the funeral which was held Friday, August 18, and largely attended. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - AUGUST 31, 1916

Failing health extending over the past year and a critical illness for the past six weeks terminated Sunday, February 16, when Knute E. Runnestrand, well known carpenter and highly respected citizen, died at his home in Ettrick, aged 74 years, 6 months and 22 days. Knute E. Runnestrand was born in Hardanger, Norway, August 3, 1855. He spent his boyhood in his native land and immigrated to America in 1877. Three years later he returned home where he remained a few months and in the fall of the same, he came to America again. In the spring of 1881, he returned to his native land where he was united in marriage to Anna Larson on April 18, 1881, at Bergen. Mr. and Mrs. Runnestrand then came to Wisconsin and settled on land in Bear Creek, Town of Ettrick, where they resided until the spring of 1885, when they moved into the village of Ettrick where they have since resided. Nine children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Runnestrand. Three children died in infancy and Alfred, their eldest son, was a soldier in the World War and died in France where he is buried. Survivors of the deceased are Mrs. Runnestrand, Mrs. M. Casey, Mrs. William Truax, and Archie Runnestrand, Ettrick; Mrs. A.C. Knudtson, St. Paul; Mrs. Helen Engh, Gillispie, Illinois. All the children were home and assisted in caring for the father during his last illness. One brother, Elling of Ettrick, and two sisters living in Norway, also survive. Mr. Runnestrand was one of the leading citizens of the Town of Ettrick and he always took a prominent part in every effort to advance the welfare of his community. He was a lifelong member of the Lutheran Church and took a prominent part in religious activities. Funeral services were held at Ettrick Thursday, February 20, conducted by Rev. S. S. Urberg and Rev. K.M. Urberg. Burial took place in the family lot in the Ettrick cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 6, 1930

Relatives and friends of Mrs. K.E. Runnestrand received the shocking news Monday evening at about 6:30 of her sudden death. She had been in her usual good health and her sudden passing away came as a great shock to her family. She had called on a friend in the afternoon and had stopped at a store for groceries and was returning home. Clayton Olson had overtaken her on her way home and assisted her with her packages. Upon her arrival at her home, she mentioned that she was tired and sat upon the porch to rest. A little later Miss Palma Dahl went over to the Runnestrand home to use the telephone and found Mrs. Runnestrand in a critical condition. She immediately summoned help, but soon after the arrival of the doctor and help, she passed away. The deceased was born in Norway, November 24, 1854, and soon after her marriage to Mr. K.E. Runnestrand which took place in Bergen, Norway, April 18, 1881, she, in company with her husband, arrived in this state. They at first settled on a farm in Bear Creek and remained on the farm until May 17, 1886. They moved to this village at that time and have lived here continuously since. Her husband preceded her in death February 15, 1930. Nine children were born to this union, three passing away in infancy, and one son was killed during the World War. The children living to mourn the loss of a kind and faithful mother are Mrs. Maurice Casey, Mrs. William Truax and Archie of Ettrick; Mrs. A.C. Knudtson of St. Paul and Mrs. H. Engh of Gillispie, Illinois. There are seven grandchildren. Mrs. Runnestrand was a faithful worker of the Lutheran faith and was at all times glad whenever she could be of any assistance to its cause. She was a Gold Star mother, being the mother of Alfred Runnestrand, after which the local America Legion Post is named. Funeral services were held Friday afternoon with services from the house and church, Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating, and interment was made in the family lot here. Reprinted from the Ettrick Advance. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MAY 14, 1931

Elling E. Runnestrand, 84, died Saturday, December 3, 1955, at his home in Ettrick. He had been in failing health the past ten years. Runnestrand was born November 27, 1871, near Bergen, a seaport in Norway, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Elling Runnestrand, Sr. He learned the carpenter’s trade and at the age of 21 came to America, joining his brother Knudt, who preceded him here. The two brothers engaged in carpenter work in Trempealeau County. In 1907 they started the Runnesrand Furniture and Undertaking Business, still in operation with E.O. Runnestrand as manager. For more than thirty years, since its organization, Runnestrand was vice-president and yard manager of the Ettrick Lumber Co. For more than 25 years he was treasurer of the Ettrick Lutheran congregation. In 1898 he married Mary Ellen Ask. She died January 14, 1840, and Runnestrand’s brother Knudt died in 1930. He is survived by two sons Elvin O. and Arthur, both in business in Ettrick; three daughters, Mrs. Raymond Steidl of Milwaukee, Mrs. Howard Horton of Duluth, Minnesota and Mrs. Conrad Rogne who teaches at Van Nuys, California and five grandchildren. Funeral services were held Tuesday at Ettrick Lutheran church, the Rev. Luther B. Keay officiating. Burial was in the Ettrick cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 8, 1955

MARTIN L. OLSON (ROSETH) (V. TOTEN) Martin L. Olson, a former resident of lair, who passed away at his home in Hettinger, North Dakota November 5th, 1936, after suffering a year from cancer was brought back to Blair to be interred in the family lot in the Zion cemetery beside his son, Bjarne, who passed away several years ago. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. T.E. Sweger on Tuesday at their home at Hettinger, North Dakota, where Mr. Olson conducted a hardware store. He is survived by the widow and the following children: Olaf Olson, Tyndall, South Dakota; Bjarne Olson, Hettinger; Mrs. W.B. Dickinson, Dickinson, North Dakota; and Victoria Olson, Hettinger; and the following brothers and sisters, Ole Roseth, Blair; Hans Roseth, Greeley, Colorado; Mrs. John Tangbakken, Bucyrus, North Dakota; and Sorine Roseth in Norway. A stepmother in Norway also survives. There are two grandchildren. He was 65 years, 11 months and 5 days at the time of his death. Mrs. Angus Sather sang two songs. The pallbearers were Ole Urlien, Charles Borreson, Albert Hagen, Carl Sjuggerud, Oscar Anderson and Alvin Grotem. The flower bearers were Mrs. Bennie Knutson, Mrs. Ole Urlien and the Misses Thea Lovberg and Anna Roseth. Mr. Olson was born November 29, 1869 in Vestre Toten, Norway. He attended school at Gjovik the years 1886 to 1890. At Melbo Vsteraalem, Norway he was united in marriage to Berntina Olson October 27, 1900. They emigrated to America in 1903. Their first home was at Blair where they resided until 1907 where he was engaged in his trade as tinsmith and plumber. From 1907 to 1911 the family resided at Ellingson, South Dakota. Since that time they have made (NOTE: The rest has been deleted). THE BLAIR PRESS - NOVEMBER 12, 1936

Mrs. O. L. Rockney, at one time a resident of the Town of Springfield, living on the farm now belonging to M.T. Post passed away at her home in Amery, Wisconsin, November 6, 1930 as the result of a stroke which had occurred about a week and a half ago, at the age of 71 years, 8 months and 4 days. The deceased was born in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, March 2, 1859 and came to this country in 1879. Four years later she was married to O.L. Rockney at Black River Falls where they made their home for many years. About 27 years ago, the family moved to Amery where they have since made their home. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband and two daughters, Alma of this city and Mrs. Lewis Simms of Minneapolis; also one grandson, Robert Simms, Jr. and one sister, Mrs. Axel Swanson of Duluth. One daughter, May, preceded in her death some 25 years ago. Mrs. Rockney will always be remembered for her loving Christian life by a host of relatives and friends and greatly missed by the family who are left to mourn her loss. Funeral services were held Sunday afternoon at the Congregational church Rev. C.M. Lee officiating and the remains interred in the Amery cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 4, 1930

Funeral services were held last Thursday afternoon for the late Knute Rockney, who had passed away the previous Monday, February 9, 1931, following an illness of a week of pneumonia. Mr. Rockney had suffered numerous attacks of severe illness during his latter years, having three times been a victim of pneumonia, and his death came as a shock to the members of his family, for he had so often managed to weather the storm on previous occasions. There was a service at the home at 1 o’clock, and a service at the Evangelical Lutheran church of this city at 2 o’clock, Rev. C.E. Skoien officiating. The church was filled by sympathizing friends some time before the service began. Mrs. Eda Hilleque played the organ and Mrs. Sylvia Moen sang two beautiful sons with Mrs. Hilleque as accompanist. There was a beautiful display of flowers, emblems of respect in which the late Mr. Rockney was held by many friends. Mrs. S.M. Hanson and Misses Inger Rockney, Alice Hanson and Agnes Larkin acted as flower girls. Gust Hortum, Mark Thomas, Harry Haralson, Ole Wold, Gilbert Tofthagen and John O. Kleven officiated as pallbearers. Knute Rockney, son of Lars and Ann Rockney, was born in Norway, September 9, 1857. He was 73 years and 5 months of age at the time of his death. He came to America at the age of nine years, settling with his parents at Disco, which was the family home for many years to come, two of his brothers still living there. In 1887 he was united in marriage at Eau Claire to Miss Ella Olson, who now survives and mourns his loss, together with two children, a son Alfred M. Rockney, of this city, and a daughter Lida, now Mrs. Oscar Halverson of Irving. He leaves four grandchildren, Durward and Elna May Rockney and Jerry and Jeanne Halverson. He also leaves four brothers and three sisters, namely; Ole Rockey of Amery; John and Gilbert Rockny of Disco; Sever Rockney of Minneapolis; Mrs. Ed. Larkin of Shake Hollow; Mrs. Nels T. Peterson of Taylor; and Mrs. Antone Hanson of Nye. With the exception of the latter, all were present at his funeral. One brother, Louis, preceded him in death 12 years ago. Following his marriage, Mr. Rockney was a resident of this city for a number of years. He was alderman from the fourth ward. He moved from here to Warrens where he lived from 1902 to 1904 and worked as a blacksmith. He then purchased the farm in Spring Creek, which had since been his home, and where he passed away. For thirty years Mr. Rockney was a member of the S.A. F. fraternity. Mr. Rockney was confirmed by Rev. Solberg, May 18, 1873, at the Jake Wallen home north of Taylor, and for years past he and the surviving members of that class have held an annual reunion in commemoration of that day. Reprinted from the Black River Falls Banner Journal. THE TAYLOR HERALD - FEBRUARY 27, 1931

Ole Knudtson Rockne, who died in this village October 4th, was born near Vossevangen, Norway October 22, 1819. He came to the United States in 1844, spending four months in Chicago, and from there went to Woodstock, Illinois where, in 1846, he married the widow Gjoren Thompson, with whom he had three children, now all dead. During his residence in Woodstock, he worked at his trade as blacksmith. In 1850, when the cry of “Gold discovered in California” had echoed around the world, Mr. Knudtson joined with thousands in the grand overland rush for the Eldorado of the west, returning to Woodstock after an absence of nearly two years. In 1859 he moved with his family to Mound Spring, Jackson County, this state, near where the village of Taylor is now located. On June 25, 1860, he moved to old Whitehall, this county. There he built a blacksmith shop and hotel, and was probably the first settler in what is now known as the Town of Pigeon. When he located at Old Whitehall, about 200 Indians were camping nearby. The name “Whitehall” was suggested by a man by the name of Georges, who had been raised in Whitehall, New York. In 1889, moved by a desire to spend the closing years of life near their children, Mr. and Mrs. Knudtson moved to Arizona, where, in quick succession, his wife and two sons, John and Henry, all were taken from him by death. In addition to these afflictions, Mr. Knudtson became the victim of an accident wherein his body was literally broken to pieces by a mad horse. After this accident he spent several years in a hospital until, through the generous kindness of his grandsons, our townsmen Albert Wing and Archie Webb, he was brought to this village abut two weeks ago. Broken by age, and constant nerve-racking pain caused by his injuries, little was left of the man as we knew him years ago, when he returned to Whitehall, except his humor and optimism. Those who remember him as he stood in his smithy year after year, also well remember the humorous twinkle about his eyes and the twitchings of his lips when some good joke or story was forthcoming to cheer the listener and relax the toiler. When Mr. Knudtson returned from California he brought but little gold, but the west gave him a greater gift than gold-a hopeful spirit and generous hospitality. Some of the old boys still remark that Mr. and Mrs. Knudtson gave away a fortune at their hotel at Old Whitehall, for prince and begger fared alike, and the hungry or homeless never knocked in vain at their door. Equally well is “Aunt Julia, as Mrs. Knudtson was often called, remembered for her constant ministrations to the sick in the neighborhood where she lived. The faults and shortcomings of most of our pioneers are far outweighed by their hospitality and helpfulness so necessary in a primitive community. Long may the memory of these virtues help us from becoming victims to the callous spirit of commercialism. The funeral of the deceased was held at the Baptist church on the 6th inst., services being conducted by Rev. N. L. Sweet, and the remains were interred in Lincoln cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - OCTOBER 13, 1910

Jake N. Rognes, an influential citizen, a progressive and prosperous farmer residing in Washington Coulee, Town of Franklin, Jackson County passed away at his home on July 5, 1921, after a period of four weeks confinement most of the time to his bed, aged 59 years, 4 months and 28 days, Mr. Rognes has not been in the best of health for a number of years, but it was nothing serious until June 19th when he submitted to an operation and it was found he was suffering from cancer of the stomach. The deceased was born on February 7, 1862 in Nordfjord, Norway and emigrated to America together with his parents in 1870. The family formerly settled on a homestead on which he lived at the time of his death. Mr. Rognes was a man with ambition, thrift and perseverance, hence he soon transformed his quarter section of primeval forest (at that time) into a productive, well-developed farm with a beautiful home for himself and his family. On June 3, 1895, he was married to Miss Agnetta Anderson, which union was blessed with 12 children, one of which died in infancy, the other living and making their home with the parents except Mrs. Axel Hanson. Mr. Rognes was a man of sterling character, good habits and cheery disposition and was frequently chosen to represent this community in various pubic offices; in the congregation, in the school district and in the town. In short he was a man who would express his opinion on public questions and it was always found he used good judgment and was reliable. The funeral took place on July 7, 1921, a 1:00 p.m. at the home and 2:00 p.m. at the church, Rev. A. Boe officiating, preaching a beautiful sermon to a well-filled church. The floral tributes were many and beautiful. In the death of Mr. Rognes this community lost a good citizen, the church a staunch friend, the home a kind father and loving husband. The pallbearers he had selected himself and they were: Ed. Roseland, John Rickolson, Jens Tjorstad, Nels Twesme, Carl Hagestad and Ed. Stone. Precious father, he has left us; left us, yes forever more, but we hope to meet our loved one, on that bright and happy shore. Lonely the house and sadly the home, since our dear one has gone, but oh! A brighter home than ours in heaven is now his own. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 17, 1921

Mrs. Nettie Anderson Rogness, 77, Washington Coulee, died at 6:30 a.m. April 7, at the Whitehall Community Hospital. She had been in poor health for a number of years, but became seriously ill the day before and was taken to the hospital. Mrs. Rogness was born April 19, 1876 in Biri, Norway, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Matt Anderson She came to this country with her parents at the age of seven. She was married to Jacob Rogness in June 1894. They farmed in Washington Coulee, Town of Franklin, until his death in 1921. She had lived on the farm since, with her children, Mrs. Axel Hanson, Tomah; a daughter, had assisted in her care the past year. Mrs. Rogness was an active member in the North Beaver Creek Lutheran church and a member of the Ladies Aid. Survivors are three daughters, Miss Christine Rogness at home, Mrs. Axel (Minnie) Hanson of Tomah and Mrs. Theodore (Laura) Johnson of Ettrick; six sons, Leonard and Hilman at home ;Nick and Elvin, Ettrick; Sanford, Monona, Iowa; and Helmer, Hixton; 21 grandchidren; 15 great-grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Ida Brenengen, Galesville; Mrs. Petra Larson, LaCrosse; and Mrs. Anna Olson, Janesville; and a brother, Ludwig Anderson, Ettrick. Two sons, Chester and Alfred and an infant daughter are dead. Funeral services were held aril 10 at 2 p.m. from the North Beaver Creek church, the Rev. L.W. Halvorson officiating. Her six sons acted as pallbearers. Mrs. Lloyd Quammen and Mrs. Orrin Bue sang at the last rites. Burial was in the church cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 15, 1954

Martin E. Rognlien, one of our oldest and best known citizens, died last Tuesday night, aged 75 years, 2 months and 13 days. Deceased was born in Hurdahl, Norway, January 13, 1826. He came to this country in 1886 and settled on a homestead in the Town of Unity. He lived on his farm until two years ago, when he moved to the home of his son, Nick, then made his home with his son, Martin, where he died. He was married in 1854 to Anna Enerson, and to the union were born eight children, six of whom are living. Mrs. Rognlien died in 1900. The children living are Martin, Nick, Even, Anton and Mrs. L.J. Dahl of this place and Otto of Walum, North Dakota. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - MARCH 23, 1911

Martin Rognlien of Strum passed away at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Anna Gram at Eau Claire on Friday, February 24, at the age of 80 years and seven days. Funeral services were held at the home of N.M. Rognlien and at the West Beef River church at Strum on Wednesday, March 1, the Rev. N.A. Berntson officiating, assisted by the Rev. O. A. Hjemboe, who spoke the Norwegian language. Mrs. Gerhard Strand and Thor Borreson sang ”After Solen Smiler, a favorite of the deceased, and Ovid Berg sang “I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say.” Pallbearers were Oscar Olson, Joseph Erlien, John Hammer, Ovid Berg, Joseph Mathison and William Christianson. Flowers were carried by four granddaughters, Marion Gram, Mary Pearl Rognlien, Carl and Margaret Jean Shermo. Burial was in the West Beef River cemetery. Martin Rognlien was born in Hurdalen, Norway, February 17, 1859, son of Martin E. and Anne (Enerson) Rognlien. The father came to America in 1868, homesteading a farm in Unity Township Trempealeau County. On April 28, 1870, the mother and eight children, namely, Anton, Even, Bertha, Nekoline, Jorgine, Martin, Nikolai and Otto left Christiania in a sailboat, called the “Columbia” and landed in Quebec June 28 the same year. On July 2 they came to Sparta, Wisconsin, and stayed at Sparta House, of which Lauris Dahl, a cousin of the deceased was proprietor. Here they spent three weeks before coming to their husband and father’s homestead in Unity. Martin was confirmed at the old Norden school house in 1874 by the Reverend Skceeven. On November 22, 1979, he was united in marriage to Mathilda Dahl, daughter of Johannes and Maria (Hansen) Dahl. They established housekeeping in the Town of Albion on the Bossard farm, which Mr. Rognlien operated for a period of four years. Being very hospitable, this became a popular stopping place for travelers going to Eau Claire. In 1883 he erected a dwelling on his father’s farm in Unity, where he and his family lived for the next six years, while he worked in the pineries during the winter and out with his team in the summer. In the spring of 1889 he purchased his present farm from Sam Hogue and continued to live there until a few days before his death when he was taken to Eau Claire. His wife and six children preceded him in death; namely, Mary, Josephine, Emma, Mary, William and John. He is survived by three sons and three daughters, Martin of Burwick, North Dakota; Anna, Mrs. Anna Gram,; Lauris, Anton, Emma, Mrs. Oscar Shermo, all of Eau Claire, and Margaret, Mrs. Melvin Ackley of Pigeon. He is also survived by one brother, Nick Rognlien of Strum, and one sister, Nekoline, Mrs. Dahl, also of Strum. There are 16 grandchildren. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 9, 1939

Mrs. Mathilde Rognlien was born April 25, 1860, at Hurdalen, Norway, and died at her home near Strum on December 9, 1929. In 1870, she came with her parents, Johannes and Marie Dahl to America, settling at Sparta. After spending a short time at Sparta, they moved onto a farm in Vernon county near Cashton. In 1877, she came to Trempealeau County where she remained until her death. On November 22, 1879, she was united in marriage to Martin M. Rognlien. To this union 12 children were born. Six children preceded her in death. She is survived by her husband and the following children: Mrs. Anna Gram and Anton Rognlien of Janesville, Wisconsin; Lauris of Whitehall; Margaret Ackely of Pigeon Falls; Mrs. Emma Shermoe of Strum, and Martin of Towner, North Dakota and 13 grandchildren. She also leaves to mourn her loss three brothers: ?airos Dahl of MacKintosh, Minnesota; Nick Dahl of Minneapolis; Olof Dahl, Mindoro; and one sister, Mrs. Josephine Berseth of Strum. The deceased was a good wife, mother and neighbor; faithfully executing her duties in her home, church and community. Funeral services were held Thursday, December 12 at the West Beef River church at Strum, Rev. J. H. Preus officiating. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 19, 1929

Strum and community and the West Beef River congregation sustained a great loss in the passing of Anton M. Rognlien, who died the 8th of August at the Lutheran Hospital in Eau Claire. Anton Martinson Rognlien was born February 1, 1857 in Hurdal, Norway, to parents Martin and Anne Rognlien. As a 14-year-old boy he came with his parents to America, reaching Sparta first and proceeding shortly tO Strum where the Rognliens were among the earliest settlers. He was reared in a Christian home and in early youth confirmed by Rev. Sherven. In 1878 he was married to Christine Opsahl, who shared both pleasures and hardships with him in a long course of years. Mr. Rognlien always took an active part in the work of the church, offering both of his time and means for its up-building. He was often selected as delegate to annual conventions, and at times when loyalty and interest were especially needed such as times of building, Mr. Rognlien gave his whole-hearted support. At the time of building both the old and new churches, as well as the parsonage, he did his full share in bringing about a successful completion. The various pastors have always found in him a sympathetic understanding. But not only in the church has Mr. Rognlien’s influence been felt. He has taken an active part in the community life as a good neighbor and fellow citizen. He has also done much for local business enterprises. His home was always open and full of true hospitality and his wide interest and knowledge in literature and history made him a splendid personality. As a father and husband he was exemplary and the many kind expressions and memories of the family are a testimony of this. He never spared himself and was always self-sacrificing for them. A fine Christian gentleman was Mr. Rognlien, humble and unassuming, loved and esteemed by family and friends. He will be much missed by all and there are many who are thankful for having known him. A beautiful sign of this love and esteem both of family and friends was shown only last fall when a golden wedding was celebrated in their honor in the West Beef River church. Here, amid a large gathering a splendid program and banquet were held in their honor. Mr. Rognlien is survived by Mrs. Rognlien and the following children: Melvin, Wilton, Minnesota; Mrs. Agnes Amsrud, Buffalo, New York; Rev. Joseph, Eagle Grove, Iowa; Mrs. Julia Amundson, Strum; Alfred, LaCrosse; Otto, Chippewa Falls; Leonel, Strum; John, Strum; and Mrs. Alma Christianson, Strum. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - SEPTEMBER 12, 1929

Ole Rongstad, 85, died at his farm home in the Town of Hale at 4:30 p.m. Saturday, February 19, following a lingering illness, although he had been confined to his bed only two weeks. Funeral services were held Wednesday at the Hale Lutheran church, the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery Mrs. J.E. Rhode sang, “Somebody Knows, Somebody Cares,” at the last rites, and the church choir sang “I Know of a Sleep in Jesus’ Name.” The pallbearers were Orlin and Alden Rongstad, Edgar and Kenneth Schaefer, and Richard and Gordon Johnson. Flowers were carried by Marlys Nelson and Lila Rongstad. Mr. Rongstad was born September 6, 1858 in Stange, Norway, the son of Ole and Helene Olson. He came to Montreal, Canada, in 1878, where his uncle was living. After residing with him a few months, he traveled to Chicago and was employed there a few years. During that time he sent to Norway for his sister, Paulina. They both came to Eau Claire and during his residence there, Mr. Rongstad worked in the lumber camps of northern Wisconsin. He married Inga Mathilda Aasgard on July 18, 1885, and together they homesteaded land in Ramsey County, North Dakota, returning to Wisconsin in 1891 and settling on the farm where Mr. Rongstad spent the rest of his life. Two children were born to this union, Mrs. Paul Schaefer, who died November 1, 1925, and Matilda, Mrs. Nels Johnson of Arcadia, who survives her father. Mrs. Rongstad died on May 15, 1893. On December 20, 1896, Mr. Rongstad married Mina Josephine Balstad, who survives him together with their four children, Odin, Milo and Olive, Mrs. Martin Nelson of Hale township, and John Rongstad of Osseo. Their son Milo and family reside on the home place. He also leaves 19 grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. One grandchild is in the armed service, PFC Charles Rongstad, son of John Rongstad of Osseo, who is with the Marines and stationed at Jacksonville, Florida. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - FEBRUARY 24, 1944

Oscar E. Ronning, 81, Black River Falls, passed away Sunday, September 5, 1976 at the Black River Memorial Hospital. He farmed in the Town of Franklin, near Melrose, until his retiring here in 1963. He was born in Oslo, Norway, January 15, 1895, immigrating here as a young man. He was a World War I veteran. He married Julia Tollefson at Winona, Minnesota, October 6, 1925. Survivors are his wife; four sons, Orvis and Donald, Ettrick; Curtis, Melrose; and Lloyd of Delavan; two daughters, Mrs. James (Mildred) Schoolcraft of Black River Falls and Mrs. Orville (Judith) Smikrud, Ettrick; 13 grandchildren; one great-grandchild; and two sisters Mrs. Olga Lundgren of Chicago, Illinois and Mrs. Eniar Zacrson, Burbank, Illinois. Funeral services were held Wednesday, September 8, 1976. THE BLAIR PRESS - SEPTEMBER 16, 1976

A.J. Roiseland, a resident and businessman of this city for nearly fifty years passed away at his home here at 4 o’clock Sunday morning, February 24, 1935. He would have reached the age of 75 years April 2nd. Mr. Roiseland had not been in good health for the past four years or so, suffering of hardening of the arteries. He had spent some time in the Luther hospital in Eau Claire when first overtaken by ill health but had since been at home. He retired from active business about four years ago in the hope that more time for rest and relaxation would aid him in a return to health, and for a time he was improved. He had suffered a stroke Friday, from which he failed to rally. Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon, February 25, 1935, conducted by Rev. Romstad. There was a prayer at the home at one o’clock and a service at the Lutheran church at 1:30 o’clock. There was a large attendance at the service at the church, of which Mr. Roiseland had long been a faithful member, serving in different capacities, both as a trustee and deacon of the church council and was always generous with his services in all ways in connection with his church. He was given a fine tribute by Rev. Romstad for his faithful service. Ed Locken, Carl Benson, Carl Carson, Henry Collum, Helge Rustad, A.L. Gilbert officiated as pallbearers. Mrs. Clarence Meek and Mrs. Chris Johnson were in charge of the flowers. There were two songs by a quartet composed of Dr. and Mrs. M.H. Moe, Mrs. Hilman Olson and Melvin Hogenson, and a solo in the Norwegian language, “Den Store Hvide Flok” by Rev. Romstad, Mrs. Esther Peterson played the accompaniments. Interment was made in Riverside. Among those from away to attend the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Roiseland of South St. Paul, Mr. and Mrs. Knute Amble and Mrs. and Mrs. Andrew Amble of Whitehall, and an old friend, S.H. Neperud of Blair. Andrew J. Roiseland, son of Jacob and Ingebor Roiseland, was born in Kristiansland, Norway, April 2, 1860. He came to America in 1884 when a young man. He arrived first at Cambridge, in this state, where he worked in a photograph gallery for a number of years. In 1886 he came to Black River Falls where he opened a photograph gallery in the location in which he was in business for practically 45 years, and which he sold in April 1931 to C.E. Berkins, who now conducts the studio there. He was twice married. First to Miss Josephine Johnson, who passed away March 1, 1894. He was married November 9, 1899 to Miss Karen Amble at Black River Falls, who now survives him together with on son, Adolph Roiseland of South St. Paul, who was called here Friday by the illness of his father and who was with him until the end. Ralph, another son of this marriage, passed away at the age of three years. Mr. Roiseland is survived by one sister, Miss Aase Roiseland who lives at the old home in Kristiansland, Norway. She is 83 years of age. His parents, three brothers and one sister have preceded him in death. He leaves one grandson, Donald Scott Roiseland. Mr. and Mrs. Roiseland and son, Adolph, spent a little over a year in Midland, South Dakota, where they had taken up a homestead. All the time he was in this city, however, he was in the same line of business. Ole Johnson, of Disco, built the back room on what was well known as the Roiseland gallery some years after its establishment. Mr. Roiseland later sold the building to Albert Enerson who converted it into a residence and for seven years, Mr. Roiseland conducted his photograph business in the building he owned downtown. It was washed away by the flood of 1911 and Mr. Roiseland later repurchased the Enerson resident, which was across the street from the courthouse and adjoining the Roiseland property on the north, which made it convenient for him. Mr. Roiseland was known throughout the country and even outside the country through his work as a photographer at which he was very good. Mrs. Roiseland, also, was well known through her work with him in their studio. For some years he made weekly trips to Melrose and Blair, where he had branch business. Mr. Roiseland should be equally known as a builder. He remodeled and rebuilt his present pleasant home in the third ward, added to the studio and made it a convenient place for carrying on his business. He rebuilt on his business property on Main street, just a little west of the New Freeman hotel, and his two stores there are occupied by the Olson Bakery and Mr. Weldner, who conducts the OK store. Last July he purchased from Fred Link what is known as the Dell block, just south of the Jackson County Bank. The lower floor is used for business places and the upper floor for apartments. The apartments were redecorated and improvements made after Mr. Roiseland’s purchase. He has always made decided improvements in the property he purchased and aided in improving the city. Mr. Roiseland was a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church and of the Masonic lodge. He was a worthy and highly esteemed citizen, faithful in the discharge of all his obligations and a kindly and obliging neighbor and friend. He was well thought of by all who knew him and respected for his integrity and ambition. He was a devoted husband and father and will be missed by his family and friends. The sympathy of the many who knew him is extended to Mrs. Roiseland and Adolph at this time. Reprinted from the Black River Falls Banner-Journal. THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - MARCH 22, 1935

Lars Olson Romundstad was born in Rindalen, Norway, July 24th, 1860. He resided there until he reached the age of 21, when he sailed for America and settled in Wisconsin. In the year of 1886 he was married to Marit Evenson. They moved to Maiden, Montana, in the year of 1888 and remained there for three years, then moving to Havana, North Dakota. In the year of 1925 he moved back to Strum and made his home here on his farm in Big Creek until the time of his death. He passed away on February 16th, at 5 p.m. He leaves to mourn his loss his wife Marit and four children, Oscar at Havana, North Dakota; Helmer at Great Falls, Montana; Clara, Mrs. M. Otis Sherman of Eleva and Laurits at home; also eight grandchildren, one brother and one sister in Norway, one brother and one sister in Duluth, Minnesota, one sister in Havana, North Dakota and one sister in Canada. The funeral services were held here at the St Paul’s Lutheran Church on Monday, February 19th, Rev. O.A. Hemboe officiating. Interment was made at the St. Paul’s cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - FEBRUARY 22, 1934

Andres J. Romundstad was born February 2, 1848, in Rindalen, Nordmor, Norway, of the parents, John and Marit Romundstad. Andres was the youngest of the nine brothers and sisters in the family. His mother died when he was eight years old. He was baptized and confirmed in the home church in Norway and in 1864 he immigated to America, coming directly to this locality. He worked in sawmills, on the railroad and herded sheep in Montana for several years. About 1872, he bought the farm that became his future home. On December 17, 1893 he was united in marriage to Miss Karen Imislund. He has been an ardent church worker, and was seldom absent from his place in church as long as he had the strength to be there. In 1920 he sold the farm and on March 17, moved to Strum where he lived one year. In 1921, he bought a house in Osseo and moved there where he remained most of the remaining years of his life. Mr. Romundstad never owned an automobile, but he was a great walker and covered the countryside in his walks. Many kind-hearted friends often gave him a ride when they happened to meet him in his walks. When his hearing became impaired, his family feared for his life should he not be able to observe the approach of cars. The loss of his hearing was one of his greatest disappointments in life when he was no longer able to hear the preaching of the Word of God, but he was diligent in reading the Bible and religious writings as he was able. When that means of fellowship with God was lost to him, he became a very lonely man. Failing in health last year before his death, he was taken to his farm again where Mrs. John Wiedenbauer assisted Mrs. Romundstad in caring for him. Death released him from his pains and God took him to Himself about 5:45 p.m. Sunday, November 1, 1936, at the age of 87 years and nine months. He is survived by his widow and two daughters, Nora, Mrs. Wiedenbauer and Mildred, Mrs. William J. Madson of Savage, Montana and six grandchildren. Funeral services were held at Strum Wednesday afternoon, November 4, at the St Paul’s Lutheran church, the Rev. O.A. Hjemboe officiating, assisted by the Rev. W. J. Madson of Savage, Montana. Interment was made in the church cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - NOVEMBER 12, 1936

Andrew Rosedale was born in Flekkefjord, Norway, May 17, 1864. He was baptized and confirmed in his native parish. At the age of 14 years he came with his father to America, his mother having died in Norway. They made their home in Wells, Minnesota where they lived two years on a farm and later moved to the city. Mr. Rosedale came to Beaver Creek in 1889 and has resided here continuously since. In 1892 he was united in marriage to Ellen Rickolson at LaCrosse. A year after their marriage they moved onto their present farm. The following children were born to this union: Olga, Mrs. Alfred Mahlum, Ettrick; Emma, Mrs. Joseph Johnson, Ettrick; Mabel, Mrs. Theodore Olson, Craig, Canada; Ogar, Ernest and Casper, Seattle, Washington; Miles and Verna, Ettrick. The deceased was taken sick in January. His condition improved for a time, but later on the decline was gradual until death ensued August 6, 1929 at 6 a.m. His suffering especially the last week was intense, but he bore it all patiently. He had been a member of the Beaver Creek congregation ever since coming here. The sympathy of the community is with the bereaved family. Funeral services were held Saturday, August 105th at 1 p.m. at the house and 2 p.m. at the Beaver Creek church where interment was made. Rev. Sweger officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - AUGUST 15, 1929

Andrew Olson Rudd was born in Hodeland, Norway, the 21st of April 1855, and died October 3, 1934, at his home in Newcomb Valley, Town of Arcadia. Funeral services were held Monday of this week and burial was made in the Fagernes cemetery. When he was 18 years of age, Andrew Rudd came to America and directly to Trempealeau, where he secured work on a farm and remained there for several years. Then he got another position, this time on the Comstock farm in the Town of Arcadia and here he stayed until in 1878 when he was married to Betsy Rudd. Mr. Rudd, like many of the pioneers, worked in the woods during the winter time and for 19 seasons he engaged in such occupation. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Rudd bought a farm in Newcomb Valley and here they made their home until they died, she 13 years ago and Mr. Rudd on the date above mentioned. He had enjoyed robust health until two years ago but since that time, he failed slowly, not suffering undue pain but being confined to his bed most of the time. When death came, quietly, as he slept, he was 79 years, six months and three days. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Olson Rudd: Amanda, who is now Mrs. August Ringstad of Whitehall; Adolph Olson of this village; and Alvin Olson, who has resided on the home farm since his birth. All survive their father besides an adopted son, Arnold Lorentson of Milwaukee, who was unable because of illness to attend the funeral. Services were held Monday at the home and the Fagernes Norwegian Lutheran church, the Rev. Johan Olsen officiating. Pallbearers were Albert Axness, Herman Moe, Melvin Berg, John Johnson, Sam Hanson and Mark Scow. Mrs. Carl Jahr sang two soprano solos at the church. Burial was made in the church cemetery. Six grandchildren and two great-grandchildren also survive the deceased. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 11, 1934

Anton L. Rud of Irvin Coulee died at the Community Hospital Saturday, January 9, 1937. Previous to his admittance to the hospital he had been cared for since November at the George Knutson home in Blair. The cause of his death was cancer, at the age of 72 years, four months and nine days. Funeral services were held Tuesday at the Fagernes church, conducted by the Rev. O.G. Birkeland of Whitehall, assisted by Dr. A.J. Bergsaker of Minneapolis in the absence of the Rev. Johan Olsen, pastor of the church who was ill. Pallbearers were Anton Davidson, Theodore Nelson, Anton Melby, H.I. Hanson, Ernest Hanson and Nels K. Nelson. Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Rhode sang “Heaven is My Home” and “Beneath the Cross of Jesus” at the services. Burial was in the church cemetery. Surviving relatives are one son Albert, who makes his home with Harry Melby of Square Bluff, a brother Edward living in Canada and a brother Andrew and sister Gena in Norway. The deceased wife preceded him in death on November 1, 1912 and a daughter, Alice, died on April 22, 1901. Anton Ludwig Rud, son of Andreas and Eli Akstrud, was born in Stange, Norway, September 1, 1864. He grew to manhood in his native land and was confirmed in 1878. At the age of 29 years he came to America and settled in Trempealeau County, living here until his death. He was married in 1894 to Pernille Nelson. Mr. Rud’s former farm near the Fagneres church is now owned by Anton Melby, but for a dozen years or more, he has lived on the John Sime farm in Irvin Coulee which he bought from that family when they moved to Milwaukee. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 21, 1937

Ever Hanson Rud of Whitehall died at his home in this village about midnight Tuesday, July 23, aged 85 years, three months and nine days. Funeral services were held from the home and Our Saviour’s Lutheran church Friday afternoon, July 26, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. Burial was made in the Lincoln cemetery. Mr. Rud was born in Gulbransdalen, Norway, April 15, 1850. He came to America in 1865, directly to the home of his aunt, Mrs. Bennett Anderson in Plum Creek. He made his home with her, her husband and family until he was married in 1873 to Miss Emma Tande. The young couple homesteaded land in Irvin Coulee; the property is now owned by Albert Mahlum. Their first home was a dugout in the hillside, but later they built a house and lived on the place for many years. They then retired and bought the home in Whitehall where they both lived until death. Mrs. Rud died December 11, 1929. To Mr. and Mrs. Rud, eight children were born. The two youngest died as infants, a daughter Jennie passed away in 1906 and a son Anton died in 1910. There are therefore, four children who survive their father. They are Henry, who had lived with his father the past few years; Mrs. Lena Larson of Milwaukee; Mrs. August Knudtson of Newcomb Valley and Mrs. Hannah Thompson of Whitehall. There are seven grandchildren. Pallbearers at the funeral were George Lamberson, A.J. Lamberson, Tom Lindom, Albert Sasrud, Tom Johnson and Bennie Engen. Flower girls were Miss Eva Thompson and Mrs. Anton Thompson . A quartet furnished three hymns at the church services; its personnel included H.J. Aleckson, John Solsrud Mrs. Sebert Salverson and Mrs. S.B. Ivers. Besides flowers, two memorials were given to old people’s homes in honor of the deceased. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 1, 1935

Mrs. Ever Hanson Rud was born in Loam, Prestefeld, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, March 15, 1849. She came to America with her parents, Thron and Leve Tande in the year 1865, and settled in Dane County, Wisconsin, where they lived for about two years. Later the family moved to Trempealeau County where they settled on a homestead near Square Bluff. Emma Tande was married to Ever Hanson Rud in 1873, and the young couple took up housekeeping in a cellar dug in a side hill on what is now the Mahlum Bros. Farm in Irvin Coulee. Like all pioneers, the couple went through all the hardships of homesteading and it took much toil and patience to put up with the inconveniences which they were forced to face. At that time, rafters served as a ceiling to the cellars. Hay was loaded overhead. Snakes were very numerous in those days and it was a very usual thing to see them crawling along the rafters. They were not a dangerous species, being the so-called blow snake, but Mrs. Hanson hated them, and with good cause. But pioneers did not complain and when Mr. Hanson had enough timber cut, they built themselves a log house. Later they bought the MacGowen farm where they lived about 25 years. By the time that they were ready to retire, the homesteading period was practically over. Mr. and Mrs. Hanson then moved to Whitehall in 1915, and have lived on Dewey Street since, where she died, aged nearly 81 years. She had been in ill health for several years but the end came suddenly last Wednesday afternoon. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Hanson, namely: Henry of Oakland, California; Mrs. Lena Larson, Milwaukee; Mrs. August Knutson, Arcadia; Mrs. Hannah Thompson, Whitehall; and Jennie, Anton and Julia preceded her in death. She also leaves to mourn her death four sisters and one brother, Tom Tande of Northfield, Wisconsin, the latter of whom attended the funeral. Henry of California was not able to be present at the burial. Funeral services were held at the Lutheran church Saturday afternoon, Rev. N.G. Maakestad officiating. She was buried in Lincoln Cemetery. Pallbearers were Ludwig Solsrud, August Ringstad, Tom Johnson, E.B. Anderson, George Stuve and Martin Johnson. Mr. and Mrs. Rhode were in charge of arrangements. Mrs. Rud’s death marks the passing of another pioneer of this vicinity, one of the first comers who helped to make our community the well established place it is today. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 19, 1929

Ole Martin Rudd was born in Sondre Land, Norway, January 29, 1885, the oldest child of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Rudd. He was baptized and confirmed in the Lutheran faith, which he maintained until he died. In May 1906 he came to the United States, making his home for a time with his uncle, Tom Thompson and family at North Bend. In 1913 he homesteaded a claim at Lake Park, Sask., Canada. He attended to his farm work in the summer, spending most of the winters at North Bend, where he worked for Gus Berg in his blacksmith shop. In 1922 he sold his land and bought the blacksmith shop and property at York where he lived until his last illness. He was married on November 14, 1925 to Miss Ella Helwig of Alma Center, who remains to mourn his departure He also leaves an uncle, Tom Thompson and family at North Bend and several nieces and nephews in Norway. His parents, three brothers and one sister preceded him in death. Ole had not been feeling well since early spring but never complained. In May his condition became so serious that he consulted physicians. Although he was some better for a time, he soon became worse and was compelled to take to his bed where he remained for three weeks. Then he was taken to the Krohn hospital at Black River Falls. He was apparently improved but at the last failed rapidly, passing away on the evening of August 11. A great number of his friends came to visit him while he was in the hospital, for each of whom he always had a kindly greeting. He longed to get well and strong again so he could get back to his shop and help the farmers. Ole was a law-abiding citizen, always among the first to help in the promotion of a good cause. Generous to a fault, he made friends wherever he went and was loyal to them. He will be sadly missed in his home and among his friends. Mr. Rudd’s funeral was held at the home and from the Upper Pigeon church on Wednesday, August 14. The services were conducted by the Rev. E.B. Christophersen. Interment was made in the East Lawn cemetery at Alma Center. Undertakers Rhode of Whitehall were in charge. There were many beautiful floral offerings besides memorials. Those in charge of the flowers were Elinor Chapman, Ada Larson, Nola and Doris Hanson. The pallbearers included Martin Johnson, George Humphrey, Knute Haugen, Herman Anderson. H.K. Hanson and George Dettinger. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 22, 1935

Harold H. Rude, 81, former Blair resident, died Sunday (October 4, 1964) at 6:40 p.m. at the Providence Memorial hospital, El Paso, Texas, where he had been confined to about a week. He had been living with his daughter, Mrs. Robert (Mabel) Jackson at El Paso. Born January 15, 1883 in Vaaler, Solar, Norway, at the age of 18 he came to the United States. He lived in North Dakota several months before coming to Blair where he was a well driller and plumber. Returning to North Dakota, he married Regine Christopherson of Lakes Coulee October 5, 1907. They returned to Blair and farmed 32 years in Tappen Coulee. In 1946 they moved to Blair where he worked as a plumber and served as city marshal. Mrs. Rude died in 1947. He was a member of Blair First Lutheran church and its choir. In addition to Mrs. Jackson, he is survived by another daughter, Mrs. Milton (Helen) Lokken, Loyal; two sons, Rolf, Blair and Oswald, Honolulu, Hawaii; 10 grandchildren; two sisters, Mrs. Asbjorn (Martha) Arntson and Mrs. Johanna Karlstad and several nieces and nephews in Vaaler, Norway. The funeral service will be Friday at 2 p.m. at Blair First Lutheran church, the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial will be in Rest Haven cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 15, 1964

Mrs. Olive Rumberger aged 72, died March 20, 1928 at the home at Dalton Gardens, Idaho. She had been ill for about a year and in a critical condition for about eight months. Funeral services were held at the Lutheran church at Coeur ‘d Alene, Idaho. Mrs. Rumberger came to America with her parents Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Onsrud in 1862, taking a homestead in French Creek. Mrs. Rumberger spent her girlhood days in French Creek. At the age of 17 years she went to Galesville and LaCrosse where she worked a few years. In 1878 she went to Moorhead, Minnesota where she was employed for two years. In 1880, she went to Moscow, Idaho. Traveling was not good in those days, no trains going there, so she went by boat to Portland, Oregon and from there by stage to Moscow. She was married to Howard Olson. They made their home there for sometime and later moved to Davenport where they conducted a hotel. Mr. Olson died in 1890. Mrs. Olson was married again later to Frank Rumberger. Mr. and Mrs. Rumberger were in the hotel business in Davenport for many years and moved to Dalton Garden about 15 years ago. Mr. Rumberger died three years ago. Mrs. Rumberger leaves to mourn her death, two daughters, Mrs. Pearl Lehrke, Spokane; Miss Anna Olson, Davenport; and a son, A.T. Olson, Seattle; also one sister, Mrs. Johns Iverson, Hale, and one brother, Martin Onsrud, of French Creek. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 19, 1928

Funeral services for Mrs. Mathilda Ryerson, 80, who died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Ebert Christianson, Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin, Friday, February 16, 1945, were held at the Curran Valley Lutheran church at 2 p.m. Tuesday, the Rev. B.J. Hatlem officiated. Preliminary services were held at the home of her son, Martin in Hixton at 1:30 p.m. Burial was in the church cemetery (Sechlerville) Mrs. Christianson had beEn in poor health for about two years and suffered a stroke a week ago. She was born in Elverum, Norway, September 18, 1864, and came to America in 1889. She was married November 25, 1887 in Norway to August Ryerson. He died in 1937. Mrs. Ryerson is survived by two sons, Martin, Hixton, and Hjalmer, Blair; and eight daughters, Mrs. Norman (Olive) Nelson, Mrs. Walter (Nina) Halvorson and Mrs. William (Olga) Halvorson, Milwaukee; Mrs. Roy (Hazel) Nelson, Minneapolis; Mrs. Connie (Ina) Kling, Eau Claire; Mrs. Conrad (Birdie) Negaard, Black River Falls; Mrs. Clarence ( Nora) Brown, Blair and Mrs. Christianson, Fort Atkinson. Also surviving are 30 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 22, 1945

Mrs. O.E. Larson received a telegram December 21 stating her sister, Mrs. Rye, had died at the Grand Rapids hospital, Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Olive Skorstad was the oldest daughter of Christian and Elaine Skorstad and was born in Vardahl, Norway, July 15, 1850. The family moved to America when she was a child, settling in Vernon County. They later moved to the Town of Pigeon where Olive grew to womanhood. In 1885 she was united in marriage to Andrew Rye, a brother of Minnie Holte and the late Mrs. Olaus Lien of Strum. Mr. and Mrs. Rye spent several years in this county and will be remembered by our older residents. For the past twenty years they have lived in northern Minnesota. Mrs. Rye was a kind and loving woman and will be greatly missed by her neighbors and all who knew her. Besides her aged husband, who is very ill, she leaves two sisters, Mrs. O.E. Larson of Whitehall and Miss Carrie Skorstad of York. Funeral services were held at Grand Rapids, and interment was made in the city cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 7, 1926

Funeral services for Mrs. Oline Ericksmoen Ruud were held on Tuesday of last week at 1:3 p.m. from the Hanson and Dahl funeral home, and at 2 p.m. from the Riverside Lutheran church, the church service consisted of a song by a ladies quartet, Mrs. Sam Sumner, Mrs. John Stangeland, Mrs. Sam Stangeland and Mrs. B.M. Bergeson and a solo “Den Store Vide Flok” by Conrad Bolstad. Pallbearers were Herman Anderson, Edwin Stratmoen, Alfred Foss, Henry Flyen, Marvin Nelson and Hans Nordgarden. Interment was made in the Dawson cemetery. Mrs. Oline Ericksmoen Ruud was born in Vaaler, in Solar, Norway, on July 18, 1856. She came to America in 1873, when she was 17 years of age. She was married to Engebret Ruud in 1875. To this union seven children were born: Oscar of Crookston; Sina and George of Minneapolis; Oliver of Chicago; Belle (Mrs. Henry Stratte) and Ed of Dawson; and Sam on the home farm, all of whom survive the deceased. Also surviving are eight grandchildren, two great-grandchildren and one brother in Norway. Her husband preceded her in death 32 years ago. Mrs. Ruud was a resident of Lac qui Parle courty for about 43 years, and during the past 22 years ha made her home in Minneapolis. She passed away at her home in Minneapolis on Friday, January 9, at the age of 85, five months and twenty-two days. Reprinted from the Dawson Sentinel. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 22, 1942

Hans T. Rygh of Taylor passed away Tuesday evening, November 20, 1934, at 11:05 at the Lutheran hospital at LaCrosse, where he had returned on the previous Saturday after a six-day stay at home. The cause of his death was dropsy and heart trouble, the latter of which he had been a sufferer for several years. Hans T. Rygh, a son of Lars and Martha Rygh was born November 13, 1871 at Voss, Norway and was at the time of his death 63 years and seven days old. He came to America at the age of 15 and engaged in work on a farm for an uncle at Lake Mills, Iowa. He also found time to attend school. Early in life he had become interested in music and he engaged in the business of selling music and musical instruments. In 1900 he received an appointment as rural mail carrier at Joice, Iowa, and served in this capacity for nine years. In 1918 he and his family moved to Taylor where they have resided ever since. Hans L. Rygh was married to Geline Huso, May 28, 1900. To this union six children were born, five of whom are living, namely; Thomas, Sverre, Fritz, Wagner and Margaret who all reside in Taylor with the exception of Fritz, who makes his home at Albert Lea, Minnesota. Margaret, another daughter, passed away in infancy. He was a kind and indulgent father and husband and leaves to mourn his death his wife and five children who will sorely miss his absence in the home. He also leaves to mourn his death three sisters, Mrs. Martha Konkelberg and Mrs. Ingrid Grindeland, both of Norway, Mrs. Lars Lohn of Fargo, North Dakota; also two brothers, Sven Rygh of Norway and Lars Rygh of Kadoka, South Dakota. Mr. Rygh was an accomplished musician, the violin being his favorite instrument. He is known to have traveled great distances in order to hear concerts by Kreisler, Nils Rein and other noted violinists. He was also a well read man and could discuss intelligently almost any subject which would come up. He was proud of his mother tongue and had acquired a profound knowledge of the best literature of the most noted Norwegian writers. Funeral services were held Saturday afternoon at the home and later from the Trempealeau Lutheran church where a large concourse of neighbors and old friends had gathered to pay their last respect to the departed. Rev. H.O Hofstad conducted the services, first delivered a fine sermon in the Norwegian language and later in English. Mrs. Henry Husboe and Miss Selma Huseboe with Mrs. H.O. Hofstad as accompanist sang one duet in English and one in Norwegian. Pallbearers were old neighbors and friends, namely: B.L. Van Gorden, MW. Smith, George Bergseth, Harry Stevens, Victor Bellerue and O.S. Huseboe. His remains were laid to rest in the Trempealeau Valley cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - NOVEMBER 29, 1934

Knudt E. Runnestrand, among the prosperous merchants of the Village of Ettrick, where he is engaged in the furniture business, is the subject of this sketch, who was born in Bergen, Norway, August 3, 1855. His parents were Elling and Barbara (Torgerson) Runnestrand, both natives of the same city, a noted seaport of Norway. The father was a sailor, but neither he nor his wife ever came to this country, both dying in their native land. Knudt Runnstrand resided with his parents until he was 17 years of age, when he began to learn the carpenter's trade, becoming a journeyman carpenter at the age of 21. After continuing work at his trade for one year in Norway, he decided to emigrate to the United States and soon after, June 5, 1877, arrived in Ettrick, Trempealeau County, Wisconsin, where at that time there were but two or three houses. Here Sylvester Johnson gave him work in the harvest field, and after that he became acquainted with Almond Hollinger, a carpenter and contractor of Blair, who was known as the "church builder," and was then engaged in building the church at French Creek. Mr. Hollinger employed him to assist on that job and he remained with him 18 months, during which time he also helped to build Gilbertson's store at Blair. He then began contracting on his own account, among other jobs building Swen Johnson's residence at Bear Creek. In 1880 Mr. Runnestrand returned to Norway, where April 18, 1881, he was married in the city of Bergen to Anna Larson, who was born in Hardanger, Norway, where her father was engaged in farming. Her parents remained in their native land, but in June 1881, about two months after their marriage, Mrs. Runnestrand accompanied her husband on his return to this country. Here he resumed his work as contractor and builder and has since continued in that line of industry, adding to it in 1907 his present furniture and undertaking business. His store is well stocked with a good line of furniture and his trade has gradually increased until it is now on a profitable basis. Mr. Runnestrand has been industrious and enterprising and is reaping the reward of his labors, having financial interests aside from those already mentioned. He owns valuable property in Ettrick and is a stockholder in the Bank of Ettrick and the Ettrick & Northern Railroad, now in process of construction. He and his wife are the parents of six children: Bertha, wife of Maurice Casey, who is engaged in the implement business in Ettrick; Emma, wife of Arthur Knudtson, a merchant of New England, North Dakota; Clara, wife of William Truax, a farmer of Gale Township; Alfred T., who is engaged in assisting his father; Helen, a telephone operator in Ettrick; and Archie. Mr. Runnestrand and his family are members of the Norwegian Synod Lutheran church. In politics he is an independent Republican. He has served one term a township treasurer and is a man who occupies an honorable place in the community, which he has won by his own efforts. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Henry N. Robbe, cashier of the First National Bank of Strum, has been an important factor in the business and financial life of the community for several years. He was born at Elk Mound, Wisconsin, March 3, 1868, son of Gunder and Marie (Nelson) Robbe. Gunder Robbe was born in Roldal, Christiansand, Norway in 1838, came to America in 1856, lived in Waupon, Wisconsin for a while and then located at Elk Mound, Wisconsin, where he has since resided, his wife, who was born in Norway in 1838, having died in April 1913. Henry N. Robbe passed through the public schools and took special courses in the Curtis Commercial College at Minneapolis. Thus prepared he taught in the schools of Dunn County, Wisconsin for seven years. In 1899 he came to Strum as a teacher. Deciding to locate here he purchased a half interest in the store of O.M. Solberg. Later he resold his interest to Mr. Solberg, erected a building and opened a store of his own. After conducting this alone, he formed a partnership with his brother, Nils H., under the firm name of Robbe Brothers. Later admitting O. J. Dahl to partnership, and changing the firm name to Robbe Bros. & Dahl, they bought the store of H. Williamson and added his business to their own. In the meantime, in 1905, the subject of this sketch had assisted in organizing the State Bank of Strum, of which he became director and examiner. January 4, 1912, he was elected president, a position he held until May 1, 1916, when he became cashier and assumed the active management, as at present. About the same time he disposed of his mercantile interests. He is also president and manager of the Strum Telephone Company and for a time was treasurer and manager of the Unity Cooperative Creamery Company. In public life he has done good service as clerk of the school board since 1912. Mr. Robbe was married January 28, 1900 to Malena Albertson, born in Strum, May 7, 1884, daughter of Reinhard and Marie (Teveand) Albertson, the former of whom died in 1909 and the latter of whom lives in LaCrosse. Mr. and Mrs. Robbe have three children: Gordon, born September 13, 1905; Harvey, born August 8, 1907; and Ethel, born June 1, 1909. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Nils H. Robbe, of the firm of Robbe & Myhers, general merchants at Strum, is a native of Wisconsin, born at Elk Mound, Dun County, May 10, 1865, son of Gunder and Marie (Nelson) Robbe. He remained with his parents until 1900, when he came to Strum and with his brother, Henry N. Robe, engaged in the line of business with which he is now connected in public life, Mr. Robbe has been a supervisor of the township a year. His financial holdings include stock in the First State Bank of Strum. In the Synod Norwegian Lutheran church he has been especially active, having been secretary of the building committee when the new church was erected in 1915 and 1916. Mr. Robbe was married January 11, 1903 to Clara Peterson of Strum, daughter of Ole and Clara Peterson, and they have six children: Marshall, Gladys, Nobel, Alice, Helen and Francis. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Martin M. Rognlien, who is engaged in farming 170 acres of land in section 20, Unity Township, was born in Hurdalen, Norway, February 17, 1859, son of Martin E. and Annie (Enerson) Rognlien. The father came to America in 1868, homesteading a farm in section 30, Unity Township, this county; his wife and the children, including the subject of this sketch following him in 1870. Martin M., on arriving in Wisconsin, spent three weeks in Sparta, after which he proceeded to his father's homestead, on which he resided until reaching the age of 21 years. He then rented a farm on Big Creek, Albion Township, operating it for four years. Then building a house on his father's farm, he lived there for the next six years while working out by the day with a team. In the spring of 1889 he bought his present farm of Sam Hoag, and has been occupied in its cultivation and improvement, owning besides his farm of 160 acres on Big Creek, Albion Township. On the farm where he makes his home, he has a barn 36 by 56 by 16 feet above basement, equipped with steel stanchions and with cement floors, and all his buildings are good and suitable for up-to-date farming. Mr. Rognlien was married November 22, 1879 to Matilda Dahl, who was born in Norway, April 25, 1860, daughter of Johannes and Mary (Hanson) Dahl. Both her parents died in Unity Township, they having settled in section 27 in 1876, six years after coming to this country, the intervening period having been spent in Vernon County. Mr. and Mrs. Rognlien have had a family of 12 children: Mary, who died at the age of 15 years; Josephine, who died at the age of 12 years; Annie (born after Mary and before Josephine), who is residing at home; Martin, now living in Calgary, Canada; John, a farmer in Unity Township, who married Johanna Flaten and has one child, Abraham; Louis, who is engaged in operating his father's farm in Albion Township; two who died in infancy, and William, who died June 25, 1917; Anton, Emma and Margaret, who are residing at home. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Nicholas M. Rognlien, a well-known and respected citizen of Unity Township, proprietor of a farm of 320 acres, forming the east half of section 30, was born in Hurdalen, Norway, January 31 1862. His parents were Martin E. and Annie (Enerson) Rognlien, the father born in Norway, January 13, 1826 and the mother in 1823. The family came to America ion 1870, taking a homestead in the northwest quarter of section 30, Unity Township, this county, where Martin E. Rognlien died March 21, 1911, his wife having passed away in 1900. Their family numbered eight children: Even, now deceased, whose widow and children now reside on the farm of the subject of this sketch; Bertha, who married John M. Rice, a farmer of Johnson Valley, and died in 1882; Georgia, who died at the age of 22 years; Nicholina, wife of Louis Dahl, a farmer of Unity Township; Anton, who is farming in Albion Township, this county; Martin, a farmer of Unity Township; Nicholas M., also of Unity Township and Otto, who is a farmer in Griggs County, North Dakota. Nicholas M. Rognlien, like most farmers' sons, was early trained to agricultural work, and when quite young was able to be of some assistance to his father. When he got large and strong he began working out in the pineries, but after being thus occupied for a while he bought 120 acres of land in section 17, Unity Township, which he sold later to Even Holte for $1,500, Mr. Holte paying $5.00 down and the balance at the rate of $100 a year for 15 years. After selling this farm, Mr. Rognlien rented the home farm from his father and operated it on that basis for 14 years. Subsequently he bought a 200 acres farm in Albion Township, but sold it five years later. February 5, 1896, he purchased his present farm, moving onto it the same year, and here he has since remained, with the exception of three years which he spent in Europe. As a farmer Mr. Rognlien has had a prosperous career, due to his industry and sound practical knowledge of the business. His farm is well handled and presents a thriving appearance, showing the building hand of a good manager. Mr. Rognlien is a stockholder in the Osseo Creamery and in the First State Bank of Strum. He is affiliated religiously with the Beef River Synod church, and in 1916 gave $1,000 to help build the church edifice of that denomination in Strum. Few men in this vicinity have been more successful and perhaps it may be said that none have been more liberal in supporting enterprises for the religious, moral or material advancement of the community. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Michael J. Romundstad, proprietor of Valley View Farm, Unity Township, a highly improved piece of agricultural property, was born on this farm, January 27, 1874, son of Ole J. and Gertrude O. Romundstad. The father was one of the early settlers in this locality. Born in Rindalen, near Trondjem, Norway, September 3, 1840, he came to the United States in the spring of 1869 and homesteaded the farm on which his son Michael J. now lives. This farm now consists of 280 acres of which 200 lie in section 4 and the other 80 in section 33. Here Ole J. Romundstad spent some 37 years, adding to the size of his farm and improving it by cultivation and the erection of buildings as needed until it became a valuable piece of property. His laborious career was brought to a close by death, September 10, 1906. His wife, Gertrude, who was born in the same part of Norway as himself, October 23, 1847, came to this country in the spring of 1870, their marriage taking place November 7, that year. She is still living and resides with her son, Michael J. Their family numbered nine children: Jon, a farmer at Fergus, Montana; Odin, who is engaged in ranching at that place; Michael j., subject of this sketch; Ellen, wife of John Karo, a farm of Fergus, Montana; Mollie, wife of Dan Moltzau, a farmer of Fergus, Montana; Marit, wife of Harry Haanstad, a sawyer of Medford, Wisconsin; Louisa, now Mrs. Anton Clementson, her husband being a merchant at Mondovi, Wisconsin; Annie, wife of H.. Frodal, of Shevlin, Minnesota, her husband being a farmer; and Olga, wife of Harry Oquist, a farmer of Roy, Montana. Michael J. Romundstad has resided on his present farm - the old parental homestead - all his life, becoming its manager in 1905 and its owner in 1906 after his father's death, he purchasing the property. The improvements are very extensive, and include a barn, 20 by 52 by 18 feet for horses; another barn, 30 by 50 by 16 feet, with an ell, also a residence of frame construction, two stores a basement and containing ten rooms. Among his other buildings are a skimming house, 10 feet by 12 feet; a granary, 20 by 32 by 14 and a machine shed, 32 by 22 by 8 feet, these three being frame buildings, together with a concrete silo, 14 by 33 feet. Mr. Romundstad keeps a herd of 32 Shorthorn cattle, graded, and also raises Plymouth Rock chickens. He is a stockholder in the Farmers' Exchange Bank of Osseo and the Unity Cooperative Creamery of Strum. As one of the responsible citizens of Unity Township, he has been called upon several times to aid in local government affairs, having been a member of the township board four years, school clerk four years and assessor one year. June 2, 1909, Mr. Romundstad was united in marriage with Marie Fossum of Eau Claire, Wisconsin, who was born in that city December 25, 1886, daughter of Anton and Mathia (Johnsgaard) Fossum, her father being a carpenter by occupation. Mr. and Mrs. Romundstad are the parents of four children born as follows: Oliver, July 5, 1910; Muriel, December 9, 1911; Astrid, September 23, 1914; and Gjermund, February 25, 1916. The family are members of the United Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Albert G. Rognrud is a native of this county, having been born near Blair, February 27, 1874, son of Gunarius G. Pederson Rognrud and Olea O. Tappen, his wife. Albert G. was reared and educated on the home farm, attending the district schools of the neighborhood. For a time he worked as a fireman in the Northwest Sawmill at Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and for a while he owned the T. H. Moen farm in Pigeon Township, but on March 21, 1904, he purchased the home farm, where he has since resided. Mr. Rognrud was married April 8, 1899 to Anna Moen, who was born in Dane County, Wisconsin, September 3, 1876, daughter of Thorsten H. and Eli (Gutormson) Moen, who were born July 19, 1847 and December 2, 1853, respectively, and came to America in 1876, settling near Eleva, in Eau Claire County, where they still live. Mr. and Mrs. Rognrud have two children: Elvina, born December 2, 1900, and Geodina, born September 12, 1902. With the Rognrud family lives Caroline Rustad, who homesteaded the Rognrud Farm in the fall of 1873, and in 1880 deeded the farm to Gunarius Rognrud with the provision that she retain herein her habitation during life. She was born in Elverum, Norway, January 12, 1831, and came to this region in the spring of 1873. In order to file on the property where she settled she made the trip to the land office at La Crosse, a distance of 50 miles, on foot. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917

Gunarius G. Pederson Rognrud, whose estate name in the old country was Gunarius G. Rongrud, was born in Vaaler Solar, Norway, October 14, 1831, and was there reared. Upon coming to America in the ‘60’s, he lived in La Crosse County a year and then found his way to this county, where he spent the remainder of his days. When he reached here he bought 100 acres of land a half mile south of Blair. Later he purchased 40 acres adjoining the old village of Porterville, and platted Pederson’s addition to that village. On this addition, an important part of Blair is now located, the village of Porterville having faded into oblivion. In 1890 he sold his farm and moved to Fly Creek Valley in Preston Township, where he farmed until his death in 1902. When he platted Pederson’s addition he gave a lot for the church, and on this lot he helped to build the edifice, hauling the lumber from Black River Falls. His wife, Olea O. Tappen, who was also a faithful church member, was born April 25, 1848, and died on Thanksgiving Day 1906 after a long and busy life. They were the parents of 15 children: Peder, Alavus (deceased), Lena, Geoadena (deceased), George, Emma, Gilbert, Albert G., Karn, Clara, Volborg, Alexander, Petra, Gena and Isaac. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917


Back to Home Page