Search billions of records on

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries Fa - Fq

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Fagerland Gunder O.
Fagerland Nels S.
Fagernes Charles C.
Fagernes Hans C.
Fagernes Ole C.
Fauske Mads Kundtson
Feiring Ole P.
Fenney Knut K.
Fenney Theodore K.
Fennell James Mrs.
Fenny K.K. Mrs.
Finstad Sophie Miss
Fjeld Adolph
Fjeld John Olson
Fjeld Knudt N.
Fjelstad Christopher J.
Flaaten Anders O.
Flaaten Astrid Miss
Flaaten Knut
Flaaten Maret Mrs.
Flaaten Ole
Flaaten Sarah Halverson
Flagen CC
Flagen CC Mrs
Flekke Matias Rev.
Flekkesshaug Anton
Flugstad Matt
Flugstad Ole
Folkestad Dagny Mrs.
Folkedahl Amund
Folkedahl Sever
Follingstad Andrew J.
Forness Ole O.
Forseth Mary Mrs.
Fortun G.T.
Fossegaard Emma Mrs.
Foss Ole
Foss Ole C. Mrs.
Fosse Randi Mrs.
Fosse Henry O.

"Corelius Christopherson was born in Norway on April 19, 1853, and died in the town of Pigeon on December 4, 1918 at 7 o'clock in the morning of apoplexy.
His boyhood life was spent on a farm in Norway. In 1880 he was married to Jonina Olson and two years later they came to Blair, Trempealeau County, and located on a farm in Fly Creek in the Town of Pigeon Their home was in the same valley until he was suddenly called to the great beyond To their union were born 13 children, ten of whom survive: Mrs. Tena Mainland of Frankin; Morris in the service and stationed at Camp Cody, New Mexico; Miss Tillie, of Minot, N.D.; Mrs. Lulu Mader, of Minneapolis; and Olaf, Carl, Isaac, Oscar, Hilman and Mabel at home with Mrs Christopherson.
The funeral was held from the Main street Lutheran church at Whitehall Monday afternoon at one o'clock and the remains were laid to rest in the Old Whitehall cemetery. Rev. E. Christopherson officiating." THE WHITEHALL TIMES/BANNER - December 12, 1918

"Funeral services for Mrs. Cornelius Flagen were held at Our Saviour's Lutheran church Monday afternoon, the Reverend O. G. Birkeland officiating. Burial was made in the Old Whitehall cemetery. Mrs. Flagen died at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Carlson at Blair Wednesday, February 3, following a stroke of paralysis.
Mrs. Flagen, whose maiden name was Yonine Olson Malbegerget, was born in Asne Parish, Solor, Norway, the 27th of April 1859, of the parents Ole Christianson Malberget and Marte Christianson Flagen. She was baptized and confirmed in the Asnes church by Pastor Borg. She was married to Cornelius Flagen. She and her husband immigrated to America and settled in Fly Creek valley, Town of Preston, Trempealeau county. That was 48 years ago. Thirteen children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Flagen, ten of whom are still living. Two children died as infants and Selma passed away 12 years ago. Those remaining are Martin, Mrs. G.C. Mondand of Racine; Lulu, Mrs. Joe Mader of Philadelphia, Pa; Mrs. Clara Simcea of Portland, Ore; Morris of the state of Montana; Mr. Odin Mitskogen of Taylor and Oluf, Charley, Isaac, Oscar and Helmer at home. Mr Flagen died 13 years ago.
Heartfelt sympathy is extended to surviving relatives and friends of Fly Creek, Blair and Whitehall especialy where Mrs. Flagen was well known." THE WHITEHALL TIMES, February 11, 1932

"Adolph Fjeld the youngest son of Hannah and Ole Johnson of Toten, Norway, was born December 27, 1889, at Ostre Toten. He was confirmed at the Hoff church in Toten in 1903 and in the year 1907, he came to the United States. On October 23, 1911, he was united in marriage to Anna Erickson of Taylor, and to this union was born one child, a daughter. Mr. Fjeld took out naturalization papers and became a citizen of the US. in 1907.
In 1907 he moved to the farm which is at present owned by John Sygulla, but was at that time owned and operated by Ralph Wood, assisted by Mr Fjeld. In the spring of 1917, he and his family went to Temvik, N.D. where they stayed until the fall of the same year. The following spring they again returned to Temvik, when they sold their property and came to Wisconsin to visit relatives. A week prior to his death, Mr. Fjeld returned to Dakota on business and was in Aberdeen, S.D. in search of employment at the time of his death.
Mr Fjeld had been in good health up to the time of his death. The cause of his demise was given as hemorrhage of the brain, and being unable to talk, his last message was in the form of a note, which read, "I am insured," which of course, assured him that he would be taken care of even though he was in the hands of strangers.
The deceased possessed a very pleasing personality and was an ambitious young man, who was well liked by all his friends who will miss him.
Funeral services were held at the Synod Lutheran church at Pigeon Falls on Friday, April 11, 1930 at 3:00 p.m. Rev. E.B. Christopherson of Pigeon Falls delivered the funeral sermon and undertakers Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Rhode were in charge of arrangements. Ralph Wood, Charles Neprud, Charles Olsen, Robert Salverson, Martin Thorson and Olaf Hagen acted as pall bearers. Misses Mildred and Carol Nelson were flower girls. Mrs. Dale, a cousin of the deceased, and her granddaughter of Milwaukee, attended the funeral.
Mr. Fjeld leaves to mourn his death, a wife and daughter and a brother, John, of Independence, and also many other relatives at Winona and other points." THE WHITEHALL TIMES - April 24, 1930

"Funeral services for Ole Fos, 81, who died at the Whitehall Community hospital at 6:45 a.m. July 9 following less than a day's illness with pneumonia, were held Satuday afternoon at the Johnson chapel and at Our Saviour's Lutheran church, the Rev. O. G. Birkeland officiating. A group from the Senior choir sang "tank naar en gang" and "Abide With Me" and Miss Stella Windjue sang "Jeg ved mig en sovn i Jesu navn." Pall bearers were his six sons and the flowers were carried by Janice, Mary, Elaine and Delores Foss, Betty Hanson and Mildred Kildahl. Burial was in Lincoln cmetery beside his wife who died in 1939. Memorials given at the last rites totalled $166.30.
Mr. Foss was born June 25, 1866, in Vestre Toten, Norway, the son of Brede Rodfossen and his wife Tina. When he was five years old he came to this country with his parents, who settled in Moe coulee, town of Pigeon, on the farm now owned by S.N Hegge. As a young man he spent his winters working in the pineries of northern Wisconsin as a cook.
He was united in marriage on June 25, 1891, to Johanne Nilson of Pigeon, the cemeony being performed by the late Emmanuel Christophersen. They settled on the farm of his parents, building a house for themselves on the same land. After residing there a few years they moved to Pigeon Falls, where Mr. Foss operated a meat market.
Later they came to Whitehall, purchasing the Scandinavian hotel and operating a meat market beside it. After a short time here they purchased the present Elmer Back farm in Fitch coulee, later selling that to return to Whitehall, where Mr. Foss operated a meat market where the Whitehall Bakery is now located.
The family then purrchased the present Elmer Larson residence on the east edge of Whitehall with a few acres adjoining, where Mr Foss operated a dairy. Later he purchased the preent Norman Foss farm adjoining, selling his smaller place to L.J. Schansberg, who later disposed of it to Elmer Larson. He also owned a farm near Sechlerville for a time.
In 1935 he and his wife retired, spent about a year with the late Nels Windjue at Coral City, and in 1936 built the home in East Whitehall, where he continued to live until he sold it to Paul Blaha in April this year and moved in with his son Norman and family.
He is survived by ten children: Benoni, Fly Creek; Christopher, Eau Claire; Martha, Mrs. Fred Hanson, Whitehall; Cora, Mrs. Joel Anderson, Coral City; Theodora, Mrs. William Pederson, Whitehall; Olger, Brainerd, Minn.; Joseph, Ettrick; Olga, Mrs. Einar Kildahl, Norman and Hjalmer, Whitehall. A son Ernest preceded him in death a couple of years ago.
He also leaves 49 grandchildren 18 great-grandchidren and two brothers, Theo. B. Olson of Whitehall and Martin Olson of Osseo. A brother B.B. Olson and a sister, Mrs. B. P. Moe, both of this vicintiy, preceded him in death." THE WHITEHALL TIMES - July 17, 1947

"Ole Flaaten was born in Valders, Norway, February 14th, 1870 and emigrated to America with his mother in 1888.
For some years he has suffered from dropsy, and his death occurred at the home of his sister, Mrs. Sever Erickson. He had sought medical aid at many points, but to no avail. He was unmarried. His age was 55 years, 5 months and 24 days.
He leaves to mourn his death three brothers Evert, Knute and Peter and two sisters, Mrs. Sever Erickson and Miss Siri Flaaten.
Funeral services were held Monday, August 10, at 1:30 p.m. at the home and from the Zion Lutheran church, Rev. T.E. Sweger officiating." BLAIR PRESS - August 13, 1925

"Ole O. Fornesss passed away at the old Forness homestad in Curran Valley on Tuesday, April 29, 1926, after lingering infirmities caused by old age.
Mr. Forness was born in Tondhjem, Norway, April 28, 1844 and from this date it will be seen that he passed away just after passing his 82nd birthday. At the age of 21 years, he came to this country and settled at Black River Falls, where he worked for a few years.
On March 30, 1870, he was united in marriage to Miss Amelia Mattson. The same spring they settled on a homestead in Curran Valley, which has been their continuous home every since. Five children were born to them; three have preceded him in death and two are living, namely, Menford Forness, who now owns and resides on the old homestead in Curran Valley, and Mrs. N.N. Nelson, also of Curran Valley, He is also survived by his aged widow and lifelong helpmate, ten grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Saturday, May 1st at the Curran Valley church, Rev. O.O. Lovaas officiating. Acting as pall bearers were six grandsons. Interment was made at the Curran Valley Cemetery.
Mr. Forness became a member of the Lutheran church in his boyhood days and he lived a consistent life in that faith. He was an honest, upright, industrious man, one who gained and always retained the respect and esteem of his friends. He was a devoted husband and father. His friendships were characterized by faithfulness and loyalty. He was a good man and a good citizen.
His widow, children and other relatives have the heartfelt sympaty of all in the community in their great loss." THE TAYLOR HARALD - May 7, 1926

"Funeral services for Knut Flaaten who passed away at the Trempealeau County hospital April 14, 1947, were held at the Zion Lutheran Church on Wednesday, April 16 with the Rev. Luther S. Borgen officiating.'
Pall bearers were former neighbors and friends from Lakes Coulee: Selmer Knutson, Henry Knutson, Jens Peterson, Odwin Berg, Henry Moe and Tilman Halvorson.
Knut Flaaten was born November 24, 1866 in North Aurdal, Norway, the son of Halvor and Anna Flaaten. He was baptized in the Skrautvald church in Norway on January 13, 1867.
He came to this country with his parents and settled in Lakes coulee, where he spent most of his life.
Survivors are four nieces, Mrs. Henry Moen, Mrs. Oliver Engelien,Mrs. Glenn Boyd and Mrs. Arnold Haugen and one nephew, Dilont Halverson." THE BLAIR PRESS, April 24, 1947

"Funeral services for Sarah Halverson Flaaten who died at Whitehall on November 30, 1946, were held Tuesday afternoon December 3 at the Zion Lutheran church with Rev. Luther S. Borgen officiating. Interment was in the family lot in the Zion Cemetery. The music was provided by Mrs. Leonard Elison with Mrs. Dale Davis accompanying her on the organ.
Sarah Halverson Flaaten was born in (Nodre) Aurdal Norway on April 19, 1873, a daughter of Halvor and Anna Petersdatter Flaaten. She was baptized in the Skrutvold church on Mayr 4, 1873. She was confirmed in the Strand church in Aurdal, Norway.
As a young girl she came to America with her parents and settled in this community where she has remained ever since. She is survived by one brother, Knute Halverson; four nieces, Mrs. Arnold Haugen of Northfield; Mrs. Helen Boyd of Chicago, Ill.; Mrs. Oliver Engelien of French Creek; and Mrs. Henry Moe of Arcadia. She is also survived by one nephew, Mr. Dillmont Halverson of Osseo. Blessed by her memory." THE BLAIR PRESS - December 12, 1946

Gunder O. Fagerland was born at Valestrand, Bondhordland, Norway, on December 12, 1854. While he grew to manhood he was occupied partly with farm work and partly as a sailor, and as such he was well acquainted along the coast of Norway from Stavanger to Tromso. June 9, 1879, he was united in marriage to Bynhild Nilson Sydness. May 15, 1882, he left Norway with his wife and one child and came to America. He settled at Deerfield, Wisconsin where the family lived for 12 years. In 1894, Mr. Fagerland moved to Taylor, where he purchased a farm that was his home for 26 years. Ten years ago, Mr. and Mrs. Fagerland moved to Eleva, where they have resided ever since. Last fall Mr Fagerland’s health began to fail and on November 11 he was taken to Luther hospital in Eau Claire. But in spite of medical skill and the very best attention, he succumbed November 26, 1930. He leaves to mourn his death, his wife, his three sons, Olaf, Nels and Clarence, and one daugher, Mrs. Lillie Hovershom, all of Eleva. He is also survived by three half-brothers, George, of Calamus, Iowa; Severt, in Forde, Norway and Anflin in Seattle, Washington, and one sister, Martha, in Norway, 15 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. The funeral took place from the Eleva Lutheran church, December 2, where a large congregation had gathered to pay the deceased the last respects. From Eleva, the funeral procession went to Curran Valley, Taylor, where the local pastor, Rev. Lovaas, delivered an address in English while Rev. A. Wichmann spoke in the Norwegian language. Mr. Fagerland was laid to rest in the Curran Valley cemetery in the family lot in the shade of a large spruce planted by himself years ago. The Ladies Aid served a dainty lunch for those from Eleva that attended the funeral. Mr. Kjentvet had charge of the funeral. Rewritten from the ELEVA SECTION-MONDOVI HERALD-NEWS THE TAYLOR HERALD - DECEMBER 12, 1930

The name, as above written, was the form the deceased used, but it was originally, probably Carl Fagernes, for Faagernas was undoubtedly the name of the farm which his father came from in Norway and means “Fairpoint.” Christian Fagernas, the father, came to Welch Slough, town of Preston, 1871, accompanied by his wife Olia and his children, Ole Eli, Hans, Karen and Charles, who at that time was about six years old for he was born in Vinger, Norway February 19, 1865. At first the family lived in the coulee but after a short time, they moved to the place near where Fagernes church now stands. Later on the family acquired another farm in the town of Northfield, Jackson county. At the time of his death, Charlie owned both farms. Looking back over the history of the Fagernes family, is it quite plain, they practiced cooperation within the family circle. Ole and Hans did not marry. It is also plain that all the men prospered, either through mutual helpfulness or through individual thrift and industry. The girls married. Eli became Mrs. Tande and Karen, Mrs. Thompson. They are both dead, and Ole and Hans are therefore the only survivors of the Fagernes family that came from Norway. In 1889, Charlies married Nettie Nelson. Ten children were born from this union, to wit; Elvie, Elvina, Clara, Myrtle, Arnold, Wilmer and Kermit are living; a son Carl, died in 1922, leaving a widow and one child; Olga, a daughter died at the age of 19, unmarried and Norman, another son, died at the age of 17. The mother died in 1929. Charlie and Ole owned and operated the Northfield farm together for a number of years. And it was while living there that death began to make inroads in his family and this accounts for the fact that he selected a cemetery lot in Northfield, where his children and wife are buried, and where he has now joined them. His parents sleep in the Fagernes church yard. Up to about eleven years ago, Charles was a comparatively well man. One day, together with his brother, Ole and a young son, he went out to cut down a large tree. In order to have the tree fall in a certain direction, they attached a rope to the trunk. Charles and his son held the rope while Ole did the chopping. Through some miscalculation, when the tree fell, a limb struck Charlie both in the front and the back of his head. His jawbone was broken in two places and the back of his head was seriously dented. For a while it looked like death had won, but he recovered sufficiently to look after his business. Then came death again and took a son and his wife. Soon after his wife’s death he came to see me and I remember how pitifully worn, tired and broken he seemed that day. Then came financial losses and finally, about a year ago, he was attacked by chronic internal disorders which brought about a steady decline. He spent months at the Lutheran Hospital in Eau Claire. When he realized that there was no prospect of recovery, he asked to be taken home to the place where his childhood, youth and much of his manhood had been spent-The Old Homestead-in the very shadow of the church to which the Fagernes people have contributed so freely. There on April 14, 1933, he passed quietly and peacefully away. On Tuesday, April 18, funeral services were held first in Fagernes church at 2:00 o’clock p.m. and at the Northfield church about 4:00 o’clock. Services were well attended at both places and were conducted by Rev. Olsen, pastor of the Fagernes congregation and Rev. Oerke, pastor of the Northfield congregation. The day was an ideal spring day. All the living children of the deceased were present. I think he left 18 grandchildren. Thus passed, another faithful servant of the people, a home and community builder. Proper care of his family was his greatest ambition and his home was his dearest earthly Mecca. If his children will follow the paths made plain by their grandparents, they will never go far astray. They were quiet, frugal, industrious and religious people, faithful to every trust committed to them. To their plans and toils the hills and vales around them responded with beautiful meadows and fruitful fields. And under the banner of their faith, they built better than they knew. And while civilization finds expression in law, order and reverence for things worthwhile, the name “Fagernes” will continue as a symbol of beauty, constancy and sweet tranquility. Written by H.A. Anderson, April 23, 1933 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 27, 1933

Hans C. Fagernes died at his home at Osseo June 4, 1939, at the age of 81 years, 5 months and 14 days. Funeral services were held June 6 at the John T. Thompson home at Osseo and at the Fagernes church south of Whitehall. The Revs. N.E. Havorsen of Osseo and Johan Olsen of French Creek officiated. Burial was in the Fagernes cemetery. Mr. Fagernes was born in Vinger, Norway, December 21, 1857, the second son of Christian and Olina Fagernes. When Hans was 12 years old, the family came to America, settling on a farm in the town of Preston. He made his home with his parents until the time of their death. For the past 18 years, he has lived with his nephew, John T. Thompson of Osseo. Two brothers and two sisters preceded the deceased in death and he is survived by several nieces and nephews. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 15, 1939

Ole C. Fagernes, son of Christian and Olia Fagernes, was born in Vinger, Norway, July 1, 1855. At the age of 16 years, he came to America with his parents and settled in Welch Coulee in the year 1871. Ole was unmarried. His parents, one brother Charles and two sisters, Ella and Karen preceded him in death. He is survived by one brother, Hans, and several nephews and nieces. He made his home with his brother Charles until he passed away in 1933. Since that time he has made his home with his nephew, Kermit Fagernes, who purchased the Fagernes farm after the death of his father. Ole, at the time of his death, was serving as janitor in the Fagernes church. He had held this position for the last 25 years. Ole was in robust health until Monday morning, March 21st, when he suffered a stroke. Quietly and peacefully, he passed way the same morning at 8:15. Funeral services were conducted in the Fagernes church Friday, March 25 at 2 o’clock in the afternoon, preceded by short services at the Fagernes home with the Rev. Johan Olson officiating. Pallbearers were E.E. Hanson, Henry and Nels K. Nelson, Ben Knudtson, Oluf Christianson and Helmer Hogden. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 31, 1948

Mads Knudtson Fauske was born in Sonfjord, Norway, in the year 1834, on March 15. There among high mountains, deep canyon-like valleys, swift turbulent streams giving voice to their haste and impatience on their short journeys to the sea as they leaped from crag to crag. It was a land of mists and shadows of constant toil and many hardships to young and old alike. A land teeming with traditions of myths and fairies, good and malignant. Winters came early and lingered long, but summers brought beauties and joys which are unknown to those who live in more southern climes. Educational advantages were meager, but available and compulsory to all. Doctors, medicines and luxuries almost unknown. Those who survived the early privations and hardships usually became rugged and hardy men and women and knew the joys of life to a degree not experienced by the codlings raised in wealth and luxury. At the foot of every valley was the sea, ever calling to the vigorous mountain-bred children: “Come away. Come away.” On the snow clad crest of the mountains lingered the beauty of rising and settling sun like a smile of God inviting the strong to come up ever higher into light and glory. Down in the shadows and narrow valley, the wish and desire to know what lay beyond the sea and mountains grew ever greater and the increasing strength of youth and manhood. Down in the mountain feet was endless routine and poverty. Up where the eagle circles with graceful freedom were scenes of beauty and splendor, and beyond: “What?” Out over the sea where gulls screamed and bathed in the spray of silver-crested waves was boundless freedom and an open way to the brighter, “Everywhere.” No wonder the men pulsing with pure red blood again and again through the ages have singly and in large bodies broken away from their narrow confines to seek for fame and riches in the enchanting “Beyond.” Knudtson was one of these. A typical Viking. Large of frame with a physical strength much above the average. Light haired, blue eyes, restless and aggressive, possessing a keen intellect and an irrepressible sense of humor. In his youth fiddler, fun maker and instigator of pranks that more sober-minded people still recall with unfavorable comments while they involuntarily smile as the incidents rise in memory. Married young to a healthy pleasant, tactable maiden near his birthplace, he soon sought a place for his activities where fun, freedom and success might be found more easily than in the vicinity of his birth. Thus, we find him in the city of Bergen, where for several years he works at odd jobs where strong men are wanted. But the call of America is in the air. Children come to the wedded pair in rapid succession. Knudtson has no trade. Only the heavier tasks are his. Wages merely sufficient to supply the daily wants. The future promises little in the way of advancement. Strong men have gone before him to this new land of promise. Letters glowing with hope come over the sea. He listens with rapture to the wonderful stories they tell of wealth and positions acquired in a few years. He brings these tidings to his wife day after day. Shadows darken her cheeks. She is content with the present. Ties of kinship, friendship and environments hold her with a greater strength than him. She has not looked far into the future. She has not seen a numerous group of children of her body struggling for a livelihood. She hears whispers of dangers on the great sea. Hears tales of crimes and strange sufferings in this Eldorado of her husband’s dreams. But her husband is not a man who pleads long. He may introduce his wish with a question, but command has always followed swiftly with every wish expressed. Hence the question is soon settled. He is still the wife’s hero. The strong man who can win what he desires. But money for the voyage. How is he to get it? He has a little laid by. They will sell their household goods and get a little more. But still it is not enough. But at this point in the history, an old maid appears on the scene. She has heard that Knudtson intends to go to America. She has a little more money than she needs for passage. She is willing to lend it. She, too, has caught the vision of larger opportunities in the western world. She has faith in the strong man who dares to venture. Thus, it comes to pass that in the spring of 1864, May 19th, Knudtson and his family and Miss Bertine Bertelson Smelmehaugen embark on a small ship called “Maria”. Captain Jacob Hanson in command. They are on the sea. Swiftly receding is the land of their birth. Land of sweet memories. Lands of glorious deeds. Lands of heroes and loved ones. Tears blue the vision. Shadows and distance soon hide it all from the eye. But under the impulses of youth, hope and faith, they soon turn their faces westward. There is compensation for all their sacrifices. There shall the son of the strong vindicate anew the title of his race to courage, freedom and great enterprise. There under the stars and stripe shall his children reach an eminence in prosperity not attainable in his native land. His heart sings the saga of every true emigrant. He is not driven from his country. He goes forth amid prayers ad blessings. Mutual love fills the atmosphere at his parting. He goes as the conqueror goes; to add fame and honor to his native country. A larger sphere for action is at his command. His reward: the right to high endeavor. But an emmigant’s path is not always smooth. Usually rough and full of hardships. So Mrs. Knudtson found it. A few days out on the ocean and a terrible storm came up. All the masts, three in number, were broken during the storm. The ship drove before the wind to Lyell, England, where it was laid up for repairs two weeks. While there, Mrs. Knudtson gave birth to a child which was named Atlanthea Norges. This child, once the pupil of the writer, grew to womanhood and married Anton Morterud. She died many years ago from typhoid at Duluth, Minnesota, leaving several children. After leaving England the ship sprung a lead so that the pumps had to be worked constantly. After 17 weeks it reached Quebec. Water gave out. Provisions failed many of the passengers. Out of 360 passengers, only three families had sufficient provisions to last to the end of the voyage. But, fortunately, by dividing their supplies with what was provided for the ship’s crew, no one actually starved. Arriving in Quebec, Knudtson had only a few cents left, but he and others in similar circumstances were carried free to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. There he borrowed from a fellow passenger eight dollars for transportation to LaCrosse, Wisconsin. Eight dollars at that time were worth twenty-one and 24/100 dollars in U.S. money. On reaching LaCrosse he was fortunate enough to meet a country man who had come in to carry a load of household goods for some of his friends to Bostwick valley. He asked Knudtson what he intended to do. Knudtson told him he wanted to get out in the country somewhere where he could get work. The man offered Knudtson’s family the privilege of riding on his load. This offer was accepted and Knudtson walked behind. After working in Bostwick valley for six weeks, Knudtson moved to LaCrosse valley where he remained until the spring of 1866, when he moved on to and preempted part of the northeast quarter of Section twelve, township twenty-two of range seven, now a part of the town of Pigeon. A log cabin was built and furnished in primitive style. A home at last! How the thoughts thrills the parents hearts. But Knudtson always so competent to met emergencies lacked that constancy and patience so necessary to ultimate success. No sooner had he began the improvement of his surrounds, than he saw another piece of land which suited him better. This land lay in section thirty-five, township twenty-three and range seven. Here he began in 1867 to open up a farm and for a few years worked with the enthusiasm so characteristic of his sanguine temperament. This land is now part of the farm owned by Mrs. Christianna Thompson, one of the best farms in the town of Pigeon. His next move was to a little valley north of York. Here with the assistance of his brother-in-law, Mads Monson, he built this residence in less than half a day. This was record time. The next year he has sold again and bought the Jim Phillips farm in Big Slough. Here he remained several years in apparent contentment. But when the chintz bugs for several years in succession practically ruined the wheat crop, he became restless again. He took a trip through the prairie lands of Minnesota, but soon became disgusted with the monotonous bleakness, lack of hills and woods. But he sold his Big Slough farm and bought a farm in Section thirty-six, township twenty-three in range seven. This the writer has always considered the most beautiful location in the vicinity of Pigeon Falls. Here he lived for many years. Here his family grew up and scattered. After selling this farm he moved to Whitehall where he kept a restaurant for a few years. He soon wearied of this occupation and bought a small piece of land in Section 24, 22, 8. Here he spent a number of years with his wife and youngest daughter, Emma, in comparative ease and contentment. But one day his daughter, Minnie, came home with two children in a widowed condition, her husband having deserted her and left her nothing. She was a strong masterful woman so he conceived the idea of buying a hotel for her to run. Selling his little farm for a good price, he bought what was for many years known as the St. Olaf’s Hotel on Wisconsin street, Eau Claire. Here he lived for a few years, and for a time this life suited him first rate, but his love of conviviality and the opportunities for indulgence in intoxicants, made the successful continuance of the business impossible. So he sold out. While in the St. Olaf’s Hotel, his wife died at the St. Joseph hospital at Eau Claire. Mrs. Knudtson was a genial, hospitable woman, a kind mother and almost slavishly faithful wife. She was the mother of thirteen children. One child was born when she had no one to assist her except several young children huddled around her, none of whom was old enough to render the essential services needed. She bore her children with remarkable ease and was usually at work in a week or two after the event. During the more than seventy-two years of her life, she never had the ministration of a doctor until her last sickness. In fact she had never been sick. She had suffered hardships and toil. Had suffered from her husband’s restless, impatient nature, at times from his convivial habits. The circumstances of her injury and death were peculiar and sad. Standing near the center of the sitting room in the hotel on a rug or carpet with her hands under and apron waving it back and forth to amuse one of grandchildren, she somehow twisted her body a little, fell on the floor and was found with a broken hip. Taken to the hospital she was given such kind care and treatment as is usually found in such institutions, all hoped for her recovery, but one morning after a short absence from the room by the nurse, she was found dead. So ended the life of this devoted pioneer wife and mother that had so often ministered to the comfort and happiness of many early settlers in the Pigeon valley. Since her death Mr. Knudtson has lived with his children ranging from Wisconsin to California. That he did not find a permanent home with any of them may in some measure be attributed to his disposition to book no restraint. His fervid, assertive nature writhed under the checks which a conventional home or society imposes. From 1912 until 1919, he lived with Halvor Monson and family near Whitehall, and during that time he was a familiar figure on our streets. In 1920, he went to Kingsbury,California to live with is oldesd son, Knudt. The next year he moved with his son to Long Beach, California, where he passed away May 8, 1925. Only four of his children survive him: Marie Strand, Spooner, Wisconsin; Emma Breed, New Auburn, Wisconsin; Matt Knudtson, Covina, California and Jacob Knudtson, Helena, Montana. In his later years he was temperate in the use of liquors and in fact he was never a steady drinker though he occasional he drank to excess. Having had known him intimately since the summer of 1867; known and seen him under all the varying circumstances of his life, known him when his face shone with the glory of the hope and faith of an enthusiastic follower of the doctrine of Roger Williams; known him when later on he joined with still greater zeal and fervor the followers of Mrs. Ellen G. White, the leader of the Seventh Day Adventists. This last change of religion led him to the study of the Bible, which soon shattered his faith in revelation and eventually led him to believe that all religions are the inventions of man. Since arriving at this conclusion his life was somewhat marred by his habit of scoffing at those who professed to believe in revealed religion. Like most scoffers, he saw only pretense and hypocrisy, where in fact stern convictions and sublime faith were the ruling forces. He forgot what joy and consolation he once found in the worship of the Unknown, whom men call God. But notwithstanding his unbelief in all revealed religion, he did not become cynical or pessimistic. To spend an hour with him was worth more than the visit of an ordinary physician. He still bubbled with humor, sparkled with anecdotes and the love of all that grew and unfolded in nature, and he was intensely interested in all that pertained to the history and activities of man and especially in politics. His mental and physical powers were practically unimpaired until he was far beyond the age of eighty years. When he laughed or talked or walked or worked there was still the warmth and motion that I remember so well were characteristic of him, when I first knew him., Passionate, fierce and unyielding in all arguments and conflicts, he was tender as a child in the presence of sentiment or suffering. Ready on the smallest provocation to strike back cruelly and without consideration, he was always equally willing to go half way to make up with his adversary. In case of need or distress, only the slightest hint was necessary to enlist his sympathy and immediate action of relief. Through his thoughtlessness, his love of fun, ridicule and caustic skepticism. He wounded and hurt many but on the other hand his glowing countenance, his bugle-like voice, his vibrant, strong personality, have helped kill so many “Blue Devils” in the world that I believe his credits ought to exceed by far his debits. I like to think of Knudtson in action. In fact it is difficult to think of him otherwise. I like to think of him as I first saw him driving seven yoke of oxen on a twenty-four inch breaking plow. A ship stock of pliant oak six or eight feet long with a lash nearly a dozen feet long walking back and forth among the long grasses and brush, and at short intervals with a peculiar motion of the ship producing a sound like the firing of a gun. At this time he was a religious man, and rarely, if ever, used any bad language, but he had a vocabulary, not found in Webster’s dictionary, as fluent and picturesque as ever was heard in Pigeon valley. His voice was loud and resonant to a degree beyond that of any voice I ever heard in Pigeon. Often of many evening I have head his voice at the distance of a mile in ordinary conversation. To hear him sing was worth a trip of several miles. Again I like to think of him as I often saw him with a Morgan Cradle cutting the golden wheat. His big ruddy face beaded with perspiration, shining with the joy of action and accomplishment. I found pleasure in seeing him walk, slightly bow-legged, he moved along as if some surplus energy was trying to escape while he was determined that it should be exhausted in his present effort. Hands, head and every muscle seemed to frolic and dance to the music of motion. Children always loved him after short acquaintance, though at first his big voice and face often startled them and cause them to cry. And among my many memories of his varied life, I have never seen him more in his element than when dandling a child on his knee. No child, however, cross or peevish, ever resisted long his comic and over-powering persuasiveness. For a while the child might cry, struggle or scream but his tuneful voice, his mobile features would soon cause it to investigate and wonder, and in a little while smiles would take the place of tears and then would come the sweet instinctive sense of trust resulting in rest, peace and slumber. My purpose in sketching Mr. Knudtson at such length is that the future generations of our county may know what manner of man was this man who was the very first to leave his parish in Norway and come to this country. Fearless, energetic, enthusiastic, resilient, springing back from every adverse blow, sometimes dazed but never daunted, such was the character of this pioneer. Thousands of men, far inferior in physical and mental gifts, have made greater success of life than Knudtson and perhaps for the very reason that such as he hewed the way and cheered them on. “Come boys” was always his rallying cry and I can imagine when he at last stop beside the dark river where the mists of death thickened around him, his final challenge was “Come on boys, don’t be afraid.” Written by H.A. Anderson on May 12,1925 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MAY 21, 1925

Funeral services for Miss Sophia Finstad, 79, who died at the Community Hospital at 4:30 p.m., Friday, following a long illness with heart trouble, were conducted Monday, April 18, by the Rev. O.G. Birkeland at the John Funeral Home and Our Saviour’s Lutheran church. Mrs. Carl Jahr sang “Den Store Hvide Flok and a group of women from the Senior choir sang two hymns. Pallbearers were Iver B. Olson, Ole Haug, August Nyberg, Carl Jahr, Ralph Wood and Theodore Olson and burial was in the Old Whitehall cemetery. Miss Finstad was born September 12, 1869 in Vardahl, Noway, daughter of Anders Finstad and his wife, Gunhild. At the age of ten years, she came to America with her mother, her father having preceded her to this country by a year. They came to the home of relatives in Long coulee near Holmen, LaCrosse county, stayed there a short time, and then moved to the present Will Mahlum farm in Pigeon township. They remained there about a year and Mr. Finstad homesteaded the present Joel Anderson farm in Fitch coulee, where the family lived for many years. Sophia, who had been baptized in Norway, was confirmed by the Rev. Em. Christophersen at Pigeon Falls. When she had become old enough, Miss Finstad began working out. She was employed for a time in a home at Grand Forks, North Dakota, later at Neillsville and later for 22 years, she kept house for Hans Nyberg on his farm in Moe coulee. In 1916 she came to Whitehall to live with her brother, Andrew, when his wife became sick and died. Here she made her home the rest of her life. After moving to Whitehall she made two trips back to Norway on visits to relatives, staying a year on one trip and 1 ½ years on the other. Surviving are two brothers, Andrew and Even Finstad of Whitehall, and one sister, Mrs. Annie Fennell of Rugby, North Dakota. The latter, 84, was not able to come for the funeral. One brother, Robert, preceded her in death. Neighbors of the Finstads served lunch at the church parlors for the relatives following the funeral. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 21, 1949

Ole P. Feiring was born at Biristranden, Norway, the 6th day of January 1846, the youngest of a family of three children. Had he lived until the 6th of January, his life had spanned 71 years. His family had at one time been one of wealth, but through adverse circumstances, the family fortune had disappeared and he was born into the world under humble conditions. He was confirmed on the first of April 1861, in the Lutheran church of his native parish. As a youth of 20 years, he came to this country in 1866. The voyage from Norway to Quebec consumed a period of three months. He made his first home in America, until his marriage, with Andrew Ekern of Ettrick Wisconsin. Between these two a bond of friendship was established which remained unbroken for fifty years. Last summer Mr. Feiring visited him upon his return from Rochester. Three weeks ago he had a letter written for him to this friend of his youth, which reached his son the day of his father’s burial, so a period of only thee weeks separated them in death. Mr. Feiring was married at Sparta, Wisconsin, on the 9th of October 1873, to Beatta Melby, who faithfully at his side has shared all these years, the joys and sorrows of life. Seven children were born to bless this union. Of these, five survive, Mrs. Benjamin Tuft and Mrs. Oscar Hoff, Cooperstown; Mrs. O.B. Hoff, Sutton; Oscar, Havelock, North Dakota; and Melvin of Cooperstown. Three of the five are graduates of the university at Grand Forks and the other two have studied at higher institutions of learning. Had Mr. Feiring made no other contribution to the world than this, we would do well to honor his memory. The children, who by worthy lives, bear credit to a father’s name are as fitting a memorial as anyone can desire. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Feiring farmed ten years at Pigeon Falls, Wisconsin. They removed to Mable Township, Griggs county in 1883, where they had taken a homestead. In 1893, they purchased their present home, one and one-half miles northeast of Cooperstown, where they have since resided. He did Wednesday evening, December 29th, at 11 o’clock. The funeral services sere held Saturday at two o’clock in the Lutheran church. The pastor Rev. T.E. Sweger officiated, assisted by Rev. Thoreson of Hannaford. Interment was made in the Cooperstown cemetery. The Sentinel-Courier would bespeak for the community its sincere sympathy for the home left desolate, the sorrowing wife and children, of the deceased. REWRITTEN FROM THE GRIGGS COUNTRY SENTINEL-COURRIER, NORTH DAKOTA, DECEMBER 28 THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - JANUARY 11, 1917

John Olson Fjeld, died at his home in Lake’s Coulee, in this town, on the 31st ult., of paralysis, aged 56 years, 7 months and 29 days. He had his first stroke of paralysis 20 years ago, since which time he has been an invalid and a great care to his wife and children. He was an old settler in this vicinity and at one time was associated with the veteran ex-hotel man, E. Bergseng. Deceased was born in Toberg, Norway, and leaves a wife, five sons and four daughters to mourn his death. Rev. S.S. Urberg officiated at the funeral service. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JANUARY 8, 1903

Funeral services were held Friday afternoon, March 21, for Knut K. Fenney at the Taylor Lutheran church, Rev. B.J. Hatlem, officiating. After a lingering illness, Mr. Fenney passed away at his farm home south of Taylor, Tuesday morning, March 18, 1947, at the age of 76 years and 9 months. Mr. Fenney was born in Voss, Norway, on June 20, 1870. He was baptized in the Lutheran faith in Norway. He came to America with his parents, Knut and Ellen Fenney, when he was one year old, the family coming to Blair where they lived for about three years when they moved to a farm six miles south of Taylor. He was confirmed by the Rev. Opegaard in 1886. Knut was loved and esteemed by all the neighbors and was a very fine man. Besides farming, Mr. Fenney also had been a stone mason and did carpenter work with his brothers. He had served as Rose Hill correspondent for the Blair Pres for many years. He was a faithful and painstaking writer and his news will be greatly missed from the columns of the Press. He leaves to mourn his departure three brothers, Theodore, Martin and Olaf, all of Taylor; and four sisters, Mrs. Sarah Collins and Mrs. Anton (Josephine) Simonson, Taylor; Mrs. John (Annie) Simonson, Hixton; and Mrs. Frank (Bessie) Kohlaas, Minneapolis. A number of nieces and nephews also survive. At the church service Mrs. T.B. Schansberg and Mrs. Irvin Schultz sang “Beneath the Cross of Jesus” and “Under His Wings.” Mrs. Hatlem sang “The Great White Host.” THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 27, 1947

Funeral services were held for Theodore K. Fenney on Monday, August 5th, 1963 at 2 pm. at Upper Beaver Creek church with the Rev. W. H. Winkler officiating. Theodore Fenney was born July 25, 1874 on a farm near Blair, Wisconsin. After a long illness he died August 2, 1963 at the Misenko Home at Black River Falls, Wisconsin at the age of 89, where he had been since March. As a small child he moved with his parents to the Fenney farm and has lived in the Rose Hill area all his life, except for three years which he spent in San Francisco, California during the time of the earthquake and had some part in rebuilding the city before he returned. He married Charlotte Hendrickson June 23 1909 and was working as a mason and carpenter for several years before he started farming, moving to his present farm in 1916. Eleven children were born to them. He is survived by his wife, five sons and six daughters, Constance, Mrs. Kenneth Lilleberg of Cummings, North Dakota; Thelma, Mrs. Burnett Berntson of Milwaukee; Kenneth of Taylor; Goodwin of Faith, South Dakota; Lillian, Mrs. Albin Groth of Mequon, Wisconsin; Mabelle, Mrs. John Shell of Milwaukee; Ellen Broe of Pasadena, California; Esther, Mrs. John Sikich of San Diego, California; Leonard of Milwaukee; Roger of Brookfield, Wisconsin and Philip of Whitehall; and 31 grandchildren; three sisters - Bessie, Mrs. Frank Kohlhaas of Minneapolis; Anne, Mrs. John Simonson of Hixton; and Mrs. Joseph Simonson of Hixton; and one brother, Martin of Taylor. Three brothers and two sisters preceded him in death, also many nieces and nephews. The Fenneys celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary four years ago at which time the whole family was together. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

The death of Mrs. James Fennel, 85, a resident of Rugby, North Dakota, formerly of Velva, that state, was recorded in the Velva Journal. Mrs. Fennnell was a sister of Andrew and Even Finstad of Whitehall. She died at a Rugby hospital October 6 and funeral services and burial took place at Velva, October 10. Mrs. Fennell had been in failing health since last April. Mrs. Fennel was born in Gjorvik, Norway, September 13, 1864. She came with her parents, Anders and Gunhild Finstad to Whitehall at the age of 12. She was united in marriage to James Fennell at Grand Forks, North Dakota, in 1893. The family went to Velva in 1901 and filed on a homestead near that city, moving into town 25 years ago. A year ago a home was established in Rugby. Mrs. Fennell is survived by three daughters and one son besides her brothers, Andrew and Even. Her husband died in 1931 and an infant son and a daughter also preceded her in death. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - OCTOBER 20, 1949

Mrs. K.K. Fenny, Sr. passed away at her home in the Town of Franklin, August 1, 1920. She had a slight stroke of apoplexy the 20th of July and after that she gradually failed until she passed away. Her maiden name was Eli Elingson Rykke. She was born in Voss, Norway, on September 7, 1843. In 1869 she was united in marriage to K.K. Fenny. They came to America in June 1861 and located in Trempealeau county, one mile south of Blair and resided there until 1880 when they moved to Jackson county and bought a homestead relinquishment in the town of Franklin where she resided until her death. Her husband died seven years ago. She leaves to mourn her death ten children, namely, K.K. Fenney, Jr., Theodore K. Fenny, Edward K. Fenney, Martin I. Fenney, Olaf Fenney, Mrs. C.M. Larson, Mrs. J.W. Collins, Mrs. John Simonson all of Taylor; Mrs. Frank Kolhas of Minneapolis, all to mourn the loss of a kid and loving mother. REPRINTED FROM THE TAYLOR HERALD THE BLAIR PRESS - AUGUST 19, 1920

Knudt Nelson Fjeld was born in Biri, Norway, April 6, 1850, and came to America in the spring of 1879. He later settled on a farm about six miles east of Whitehall near Square Bluff, which he operated until 1917. Later he moved to the town of Ettrick near Frenchville, where he lived for six years. His wife was then taken sick and died March 14, 1929. Since then he has lived with his children. On June 29, when overcome with the heat at his daughter, Mrs. Johannes Brenengen’s home at Caledonia, he died a few hours later, having reached the age of 81 years, two months and 23 days. He leaves to mourn his death, three sons, Henry, Nels and Isaac; three daughters, Mrs. Christ Thompson, Galesville; Mrs. Johannes Brenengen, Galesville; and Mrs. Sigvald Ekern, Blair; one brother, John Fjeld of McGrath, Minnesota, besides 26 grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren. His wife and two daughters and one son preceded him in death. Lewis died March 1930. Clara and Bertha in January 1921. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon at Fagernes. Pallbearers were six grandsons, Carlild Nelson, Clifford Nelson, Clarence Brenengen, Alfred Brenengen, Oscar and Lester Berg. Flower bearers were two granddaughters, Alma Nelson and Esther Berg. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 9, 1931

Christopher J. Fjelstad was born in Eidsvold, Norway, November 26, 1854. He was a son of Mr. and Mrs. John Olson. When a young man he worked as a tanner. While still living in Norway, he was united in marriage to Theoline Scholl. In the year 1886, they moved to this country and settled on a farm in Dane County, Wisconsin. To this union were born nine children, six of whom died in infancy. Of those living are one son, John A. Fjelstad and two daughters, Mrs. Ben Cogill and Mrs. John Wedington, all living in Mason City, Iowa. In the spring of 1895, they moved from the farm in Dane County to Lake Mills, Iowa, where he was engaged in a music store until the death of his wife, December 29, 1901. He was later occupied in a business at Canton, Minnesota and moved from there to LaCrosse where he again was married to Mrs. Hall. In the year 1910 his second wife passed away. He then moved to Taylor which has been his home up to his last illness when he was taken to a hospital at Black River Falls where he passed away June 1, 1936. Had he lived until November 26 he would have been 82 years old. The funeral services were held at the Lutheran church Wednesday with Rev. Lundeberg officiating. The pallbearers were old friends of Mr. Fjelstad, namely, B.L. Van Gorden, Martin Kjorstad, Sam Olson, Ebert Bergseth, A.C. Anderson and Lee Woodhull. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 11, 1936

Miss Astrid Olsdatter Flaaten was born the 13th of March 1853. She was the daughter of Ole Knutson and wife, Gunhild Ericksdatter. She was baptized the 19th of April 1853 and was confirmed in the Hol Prestejeld church the 27th of June, 1869. She came to America in the year of 1894 and came to Blair, Wisconsin where she had relatives, and where she also worked at different households, having been at one place for 25 years. She was of a quiet nature and loved to read the Word of God in whom she trusted and believed until the end. Miss Flaaten had made her home with the Oluf Jacobson family since October 1933, Mrs. Jacobson being her niece. She passed away the 23rd of January 1941, at the age of 87 years, 10 months and 10 days. Miss Flaaten leaves to mourn her departure two brothers: Paul Flaaten of Alberta, Canada and Helge Flaaten of Silverton, Oregon, besides many nephews, nieces and friends. Her parents had preceded her in death. Funeral services were held at Taylor on Tuesday January 28, 1941 from Gibson’s funeral home at one o’clock and from the Presbyterian church at one-thirty with the Rev. George Bredeson officiating, speaking in Norwegian and the Rev. L.O. Bystol of Lodi, Wisconsin speaking in English. Interment was made at the Morken cemetery near Disco. Blessed be her memory. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 6, 1941

Mrs. Maret O. Flaaten died at her home in Lakes Coulee, Sunday, April 17, 1921, at the age of 86 years. She was born in Norway and was married to Halvor Flaaten, who preceded her in death. She is survived by the following children: Peter and Knute at home; Ole (Halverson) Flaaten, Minneapolis; Ole at home; Mrs. Severe Erickson, Blair; Sarah at home; and a son George died 11 years ago. Funeral services will be held on Thursday April 28, at 2:30 p.m. at the U.N. Lutheran church in charge of Rev. Boe. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 21, 1921

The death of Anders O. Flaaten had been ailing a long time, especially the last two weeks before his death. He went through a great deal of suffering. Mr. Flaaten spoke very little of his disease. Undoubtedly he had known possibly for several years that he was becoming a victim of cancer, but not until two weeks before his death was it known that the end was so near. He seemed very happy and satisfied in spite of it all, and seemed glad to think he should soon be released from his suffering and disease to go home to God. Andrew Flaaten was born in Hallingdal, Norway, November 11, 1856. He came to this country when he was 21 years of age. In 1884 he was married and together with his wife, they settled on the farm where he made his home until his death. Mr. and Mrs. Flaaten had in all ten children. Those living are: Mrs. Carl Arneson near Blair, Wisconsin; Mrs. Olaf Jacobson near Disco, Wisconsin; Ed, Alida, Ludwig and Bertha all at home. Besides these he leaves to mourn his death, Mrs. Flaaten, his wife; two brothers, Paul Flaaten of Alberta, Canada and Helge Flaaten of Silverton, Oregon and two sisters Astri Flaaten of Blair and one sister in Norway. Mrs. Anders Flaaten was buried in Beaver Creek at the U.N. Lutheran cemetery on March 12th. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 29, 1923

The Rev. Matias Flekke of Mondovi, whose death was announced in this column last week, was buried with appropriate rites in the Thompson Valley cemetery last week Tuesday. Speakers at the funeral services held at Mondovi were the Rev. E.A. Norson of that village, the Rev. A.O. Hjemboe of Strum, who spoke in behalf of neighboring pastors; the Revs. N.E.H. Ivorsen and O.C. Aune of Osseo, the Rev. H.P. Norby of Baldwin, who spoke for the family and also sang a solo, the Rev. Engel Olson of Sand Creek, and the Rev. H.A. Wichmann of Eleva, who represented the circuit. Pallbearers were the Revs. N.A. Berntson and Hjemboe of Strum, the Revs. Aune and Halvorsen of Osseo, the Rev. Wichmann of Eleva and the Rev. J.A. Westberg of Norden. Mr. Flekke, son of Osten Ingebrigtson Flekke and Anna Louise Flekke, was born in Ejtre Holmedal, Sondfjord, Bergen, Norway, November 7, 1867. He came to America in 1890 after having been educated in his native land and teaching school there two years. After teaching until 1894 in South Dakota, he entered the Luther seminary at Robbinsdale, Minn., completing the course in 1896. Subsequently he served as pastor at Holte and Soriam, Minnesota; Minneapolis and Gary, that state, until 1911, when he came to Sand Creek, Wisconsin. The Rev. Flekke had charge of the Strum congregation in 1914 and 1915 in the absence of the Reverend Folkestad and from then until he was no longer able to work he was pastor of the congregations in Thompson Valley, Naples and Bennett Valley. Mr. Flekke was married in 1896 to Henrikka Eggen of Baltic, South Dakota. Eight children were born to them, of whom one died in infancy. The seven survive, namely, Oscar of Baldwin, Adolph of Chicago, Mrs. C.A. Evenson of River Falls, Marie of Dawson, New Mexico, Mrs. J.A. Joss of Tomahaw, Emil of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, and Ruth of Chicago. There are two grandchildren. The first wife died in 1909 and the pastor was married to Inga Henschien of River Falls in 1913. She survives, with the children. The Rev. Flekke died October 1 after a long illness with cancer of the liver. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - NOVEMER 5, 1936

Matt Flugstad was born in Faaberg, Norway, in 1849, and came to this country in 1870, and spent a few years at Halfway Creek. Here he was married to Carrie Peterson. From here they came to Shimmerhorn valley which was his home until his death. Eight children came to bless this union, six of whom remain to mourn him. Two children, Clara, Mrs. Bryndelson, and Anna and his wife preceded him in death, the latter passing away in 1913. Mr. Flugsatad was a quiet man. A good neighbor and kind father. Death came after a severe illness at the Community hospital Friday, May 14. The funeral services were held Wednesday, May 19, from the home of his sister, Mrs. Everson and from the U.S. church, Rev. Oerke officiating. He is survived by three sons, Oluf, Carl and Emil, all unmarried; and Mrs. John Berge, Mrs. Christ Peterson, where he made his home and Mrs. Berndt Gilbertson of Rutland, North Dakota and one sister, Mrs. Oline Evenson and two brothers, Ole and Otto Flugstad. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MAY 27, 1926

Following a short illness, Ole Flugstad passed away quietly Friday evening, December 8, at the home of his son and daughter in North Bend. Ole Flugstad was born in Faaberg, Norway. January 14, 1844. Here he spent his youth and early manhood and was baptized and confirmed into the Lutheran faith. In 1870 he turned thoughts and steps toward the New World, coming in that year to America and to Halfway Creek community. About two years later he was united in marriage to Miss Anne Evenson, and together they moved to a farm near North Bend. There the couple lived and labored many years. Two children, Oscar and Emma, were born in this home. In the year 1898, the home was broken by the death of the mother. In 1912 Mr. Flugstad sold his farm and moved into the home in North Bend which the children lovingly shared with him during the tranquil, twilight years of his life. Mr. Flugstad was a good father and worthy neighbor, always quiet and unassuming, a man of sterling character, which has been contagious in the lives of his children. Gently hands and loving hearts have returned to him a sincere devotion, caught from him, making his days of confinement brighter. An injury received from a fall had made it practically impossible for him to walk. Now the break, which has come into his peaceful home, has left an emptiness unreplaceable except by the indwelling of the spirit of Christ. For many years this aged resident of North Bend had been a member of the South Branch Lutheran church through which he has shown his love for, and faith in Christ Jesus. Out of a family of eight children, of which our departed one was the oldest, but one remains, Otto, the youngest brother. With the brother, living near Pigeon Falls, are a number of cousins, nieces and nephews, some of whom attended the funeral service. All these with the neighbors and friends of the home community will miss this loved one. Services on Tuesday afternoon of last week were held in the home and at the South Branch church, and were in charge of the Rev. Johan Olsen, pastor. The funeral was made in the North Bend cemetery. Pallbearers were his friends and neighbors. Flowers girls were Stella Ringlien, Borghild Maagelee, Ethel Anderson and Bertha Severson. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 21, 1933

Mrs. Dagny Folkestad, nee Hultgreen, who died at her home at Strum December 30th, was interred in the West Beef River cemetery January 3rd. The funeral was held in the church, Rev. O.K. Bamberg preaching the funeral sermon and officiating at the grave. Mrs. Folkestad was born in Orammen, Norway, November 25, 1877, and came to this country in 1902 as a co-laborer to her husband in the service of the Seasmen’s mission in Brooklyn, New York. Since June 1907, she had been a resident of Strum, She leaves an aged father, David Hultgreen, her husband, Rev. S. Folkestad and two children, Elsa and Solveig, aged 6 and 2 ½ years. Being endowed with a beautiful Christian character, she showed a remarkable patience and fortitude during her last lingering illness, which lasted more than six months and she is deeply mourned by everybody who knew her. Resolutions of sympathy from Rev. Folkestead’s congregations and from the LaCrosse Ministerial conference were read at the church. Floral tributes were sent by the Church District and Frodal’s Ladies’ Aid societies, by the Strum and Elk Creek Young People’s societies and others. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JANUARY 5, 1911

Amund Folkedahl Ask passed away at his home here in the village Monday morning, April 2, 1923 after having been confined to his bed the past four months with a paralytic stroke. The deceased was born in Hardanger, Norway in 1849 and came to this country when a lad of sixteen years. For a number of years after coming to this country he was active along the educational lines as he was a parochial teacher for a number of years. In 1876 he was united in marriage to Miss Aistre Kittleson and to this union were born three children, namely, Ed, of Ettrick; Mrs. E.E. Runnestrand, Ettrick; and Charlie of Blair. A number of years ago the deceased was active in the implement line, he was the first agent in this community to introduce the Plano binder. After retiring from the implement business, he held town offices for a number of years. In later years he operated a feed store in connection with his town offices. The deceased was at all times a respectable citizen with high regard for law. He was open in his arguments and the policy of justice for all was the standard by which he was daily conducted. Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon and after consoling words spoken to the relatives and friends by the Rev. Boe and Urberg, the remains were accompanied to their final resting place by a large number of relatives and friends. THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - APRIL 5, 1923

This community received a shock Sunday afternoon at about 2 o’clock when it was learned that Sever Folkedahl had suddenly passed away. He was found on the outside in the rear of Casey’s old garage. He was found by his brother, Nels. Steps were immediately taken in order to have the body removed to the undertaking parlor. Dr. George Christianson of Galesville was called. Mr. Folkedahl was a carpenter by trade and in his line was a skillful worker. He leaves his widow, three sons, Christopher, Arnold and Sever, one daughter, Anna, to mourn his loss. He also leaves two brothers and three sisters. The deceased was born in Hardanger, Norway June 13, 1874. When at the age of 12 years he came to this county in company with his sister, Mrs. Hans Erickson, and his brother, Ed. The parents had come over sometime earlier and settled at Osseo. The family remained at Osseo about a year and then moved to this village. Their home has been here ever since. Mr. Folkedahl was united in marriage to Anna Erickson May 2, 1908. Four children, Christopher, Arnold, Anna and Sever were born to bless this union. The widow and children all live to mourn the loss of a kind parent. Funeral services were held here Thursday afternoon. Interment was made in the Ettrick cemetery. Rev. K.M. Urberg had charge of the services. The deceased had many friends and these turned out to pay their last earthly respects. THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - OCTOBER 4, 1929

Andrew J. Follingstad died on January 27, 1908, at 4 p.m. at his home in Eau Claire. Deceased was born in Vardal, Norway, September 30, 1830, and immigrated to this country with his family on July 7, 1869, settling in the Tamarack valley, town of Arcadia. Four years later he homesteaded a quarter section of land in the town of Albion. In 1880 he sold out and removed to a farm in Chimney Rock, where his wife died. Then he again sold and moved to Eau Claire, where he resided up to the time of his death. Deceased is survived by a son, John Anderson, and two daughters, Mrs. Peter Quall and Mrs. Ed Johnson all of Eau Claire. The funeral was held from the residence of his son Friday, January 31st, at 2 p.m., Rev. O.S. Bygg officiating. Interment was in Lakeview cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIME AND BLAIR BANNER - FEBRUARY 6, 1908

Emma Ingeborg Jensen was born in Norway, September 6, 1853. In the spring of 1874, she came to America and first settled in Vernon county. After a short residence there she moved to Northwood, Iowa, where on the 16th of November, 1879, she was married to A.G. Fossegaard. Shortly after their marriage they moved to Whitehall, where Mr. Fossegaard owned and operated a tannery for a number of years. His death occurred many years ago while engaged in work in his tannery. Mrs. Fossegaard and only child, Millie Magna, continued to reside in this village where the latter grew to womanhood and later was married to James Bucholz. Ms. Fossegaard continued her residence in this village which extended over a period of 46 years. During those years she won many friends through her kindly disposition and willingness to assist in time of need. She possessed high character and great industry and besides supporting herself and raising her daughter, she provided herself a comfortable home and a competency. On November 1, 1926 Mrs. Fossegaard closed her Whitehall home and went to live with her son-in-law and daughter, Mrs. and Mrs. James Bucholtz at Ladysmith. At Christmas time last year her health began to fail and at times she suffered greatly, until the end came peacefully on December 3, 1927. The remains were brought to Whitehall and funeral services held at the Union church Sunday afternoon. Rev. F. Arthur Grunewald delivered the funeral sermon. Undertaker Rhode conveyed the remains to the family lot in Lincoln cemetery beside the grave of her husband. Mrs. Fossegaard is survived by her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. James Bucholtz and four grandchildren, besides brothers in Norway. The death of Mrs. Fossegaard marks the passing of another of the early residents of our village. Her many friends here will remember her as a splendid example of a high type of womanhood. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 15, 1927

Funeral services were held at the Viroqua Lutheran church Wednesday for G.T. Fortun, who died suddenly of a heart attack at his home in that city Saturday afternoon. Had he lived until April he would have been 84 years old. Mr. Fortun was born April 30, 1859, in Sogn, Norway, and came to this country in 1880, settling at Viroqua, Vernon county, where he spent the remainder of his life. He learned the trade of painting and decorating in his native land and made that his life work in his adopted country. He retired four or five years ago. He is survived by his wife, Annie Fortun; their son, Roy A. Fortun, who has been a druggist in Whitehall for more than 25 years; a son, Julius by a former marriage, who resides at Viroqua; a sister, Mrs. K. Anderson of Viroqua; and two granddaughters, Ruth and Dorothy Fortun, the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. R.A. Fortun of Whitehall. Mr. Fortun also had two sisters living in Norway at the time of the Nazi invasion whom he has not heard from since the occupation. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 4, 1943

The sudden death of Mrs. Ole C. Foss, 66, on Monday morning, February 13, was a shock to her many relatives and friends, although she had suffered a few heart attacks during the last year. Funeral services were held at the home and Our Saviour’s Lutheran church Thursday, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating, assisted by the Rev. E.B. Christophersen, who spoke in the Norwegian language. Six ladies from the Senior choir sang, “One Sweetly Solemn Thought,” “Come Ye Disconsolate” and “Tank naar engang samles skal” at the last rites and Rev. Christophersen sang a solo, “Jeg ved mig en sovn in Jesu navn.” Pallbearers were Christopher, Olger, Joseph, Norman, Hjalmer and Ernest Foss, all sons of the deceased. The flowers were carried by Ruth Helen Foss and Mrs. Hiram Holstad, granddaughters. Memorial totaling $49.50 were given by friends and relatives to various causes. Burial was in the Lincoln cemetery. Mrs. Foss, nee Johanne Nelson, was born in Ringsaker, Norway, September 21, 1872. She came to America in 1883 at the age of 11 years with her brother Nels, who was 15 years old, her parents coming the following year. She was united in marriage with Ole C. Foss in 1891 and Whitehall and vicinity had been her home since that time. Eleven children were born to this union, all of whom survive, besides Mr. Foss: namely, Martha, Mrs. Fred Hanson; Cora, Mrs. Joel Anderson; Theodora, Mrs. William Pederson; Olga, Mrs. Einar Kildahl; Bennie, Christopher, Norman, Hjalmer and Ernest, all of Whitehall; Olger, Brainerd Minnesota; and Joseph of Ettrick. A sister also survives Mrs. Foss, Mrs. Simon Winjue of Whitehall and one brother, Nels Winjue, of Coral City. There are 40 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mrs. Foss was a devoted wife and mother, with ever a kind word and gentle smile, uncomplaining. She was a willing church worker and a faithful member of the Ladies Aid. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 2, 1939

At the home, where she had lived the past 55 years on the ridge separating North Beaver Creek and the Disco country, Randi Rosse died Monday afternoon, January 11, 1937, after a few weeks illness from heart trouble. She had enjoyed good health all her long life until the last fatal illness. In quietness and contentment she passed on to meet her Maker. She was lacking just five days of 78 years at the time of her demise. Randi Oukland, the daughter of Osmund and Madli Oukland was born in Auklands-haven, Norway, January 16, 1859. At the age of 3 ½ years, she migrated to this country with he parents making the voyage in 13 weeks on a sailboat that landed at Quebec. They spent their first summer at Primrose, Wisconsin. The following year the family came to Trempealeau county and settled on a farm in Bear Creek. She was confirmed at Curran Valley by Rev. P.L. Solberg. She traveled afoot many times the long distance to receive her confirmation instruction. On June 6, 1881, she was united in marriage to Henry O. Fosse. Immediately after their marriage, they moved on the farm in Upper Beaver Creek, which was destined to be her home the remainder of her days. A splendid apple orchard made this farm well known far and wide as well as the hospitality of the home. To this union six children were born: Helmar who preceded her in death 28 years ago; Oscar and Melvin at home; Theodore, Milwaukee; Amanda (Mrs. H.OL. Kjentvet) of Eleva; Ruby (Mrs. Ole Hilleque) Eau Claire. She is also survived by one sister, Mrs. Mary Otterson., Blair and two brothers, Oscar and John of Beaver Creek. Three brothers and two sisters preceded her in death. There are eight grandchildren. Her husband passed away June 30th, 1915. She was a member of Rev. Sweger’s congregation in North Beaver Creek, and a faithful worker in the Ladies Aid. In spite of her advanced age, she continued to serve as hostess in the Aid every year. She was a good mother and earnest in the practice of her religion. She dearly loved the Norwegian services from WCAL, which she was able to hear in spite of her pronounced deafness. She will be sadly missed in the home and the community where she had so many friends. Funeral services were conducted by her pastor, the Rev. T.E. Sweger Friday afternoon at the home and at Rev. Bringle’s church in North Beaver Creek. Rev. A.J. Bringle gave an address in English at the church and Rev. Sweger in Norwegian. Aage Wichman sang two solos, “In the Garden” and “Saet mig foran dig, Jesus.” Henry Kjentvet sang “Be Thou My Guide”. They were accompanied by Miss Irene Thompson at the organ. The pallbearers were Julius, Edward and Olaf Jacobson, Ed and Emil Lien and Joseph Olson. Memory wreaths in honor of Mrs. Fosse amounting to $21.50 were given to WCAL radio station at St. Olaf, by the children, relatives and friends. Another was given to an Orphans Home. Interment was in the cemetery adjoining the church. THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 21, 1937

Henry O. Fosse died at his home in North Beaver Creek, on Wednesday, June 30, at the age of 60 years, 2 months and 1 day. He had been in poor health for some time, but his condition became serious only a day before his death. The funeral services were held at Upper Beaver Creek church, Rev. Borgen officiating. Henry Fosse was born in Sondre Trons Prestegjeld, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, on April 29, 1855. He came to this country June 23, 1872. In 1881 he was united in marriage to Miss Randi Oakland and moved to his fathers homestead of Beaver Creek, where he resided until his death. Six children were born to them. Their son, Helmer, died about six years ago. He is survived by his wife and five children; also a brother, Elland Olson of Eau Claire and a sister, Mrs. Bertha Olson, also of Eau Claire. Mr. Fosse was man of a kind and cheerful disposition, and always willing to lend a helping hand. Although ailing for some time, his death came as a shock to his family and all who knew him. His family have the sincere sympathy of his friends and neighbors in their bereavement. REPRINTED FROM THE JACKSON COUNTY JOURNAL THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - JULY 22, 1915

Mrs. Marie Forseth, 81, died at her home in the Hardies Creek area, May 10, 1958. The former Marie Jevne was born in Faaberg, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, June 15, 1876. She came to this country at the age of seven, with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kristian Jevne. The family settled first in Lewis Valley, later moving to the Hardies Creek Valley where Mrs. Forseth spent the remainder of her life. She was married to John H. Forseth, January 29, 1896 in French Creek. He died March 26, 1943. She is survived by five sons, Herman of Milwaukee; Clarence, Alfred and Ed of Ettrick and Lester of Whitehall; a daughter, Mrs. Frank (Myrtle) Butler of LaCrosse; a brother, Andrew, at home; four sisters, Clara Jevne, at home; Mrs. Roy Stensven and Mrs. Otillie Sime, Ettrick; and Mrs. Hans Falls, Hardies Creek; seven grandchildren and five great-grandchildren. Funeral services were held at Hardies Creek Lutheran church on Tuesday at 2 p.m. The Rev. H.P. Walker officiated and burial was in the Hardies Creek cemetery. A devotional service was conducted Monday evening at the Runnestrand Funeral chapel. THE BLAIR PRESS - MAY 15, 1958

Funeral services for Anton Flekkeshaug, 70, were held Saturday from the home in Fitch coulee and the Synod Lutheran church. The Rev. E.B. Christophersen conducted the services and Undertaker E.A. Sletteland was in charge of the arrangements. Burial was in the church cemetery. Otto Semb, Alfred Nelson Dahl, Emil Borreson, Andrew Hallingstad, Theodore Tharaldson and Louis Larson were the pallbearers. At the services, the Rev. Christophersen sang “Den Store Hvide Flok.” Anton Flekkeshaug was born in Norway October 1, 1867, and when he was 1 ½ years old he came with his parents, Lars and Johanne Flekkeshaugh to America, settling on the farm now occupied by the Larson brothers in Fitch coulee. Later they moved to the present Flekkeshaug farm. He is survived by two sisters, Mrs. Chris Anderson and Miss Otilda at home. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 20, 1938

Nels S. Fagerland, who is successfully engaged in business as proprietor of a good general store in the village of Eleva, Wisconsin, was born in Deerfield, Dane County, Wisconsin, June 25, 1883. His father, Gunder O. Fagerland, was born in Norway in 1857 and came to America in 1881, settling in Dane County, Wisconsin, where he resided until 1893. He then removed to Curran Township, Jackson County, which is his present place of residence. Our subject’s mother, in maidenhood Brunhilde Sundnas, was born in Norway in 1860. Nels S. Fagerland remained with his parents until 1909. Then, with Clarence Thompson, his brother-in-law, he bought the general store of A.E. Amundson in Eleva, and they carried on business together until May 1, 1915, when he came to his present location, buying the store in company with Oscar Wold, who, however, lived but one year after. After Mr. Wold’s death, his wife continued the business with Mr. Fagerland until March 1, 1917, when his brother Olaf purchased her interests, the firm now being Fagerland Brothers. Mr. Fagerland was married March 30, 1907 to Isabelle Thompson, who was born in Jackson County, Wisconsin, April 27, 1881. Her parents, Thomas and Martha (Anderson) Thompson, were farming people of Jackson County, where the mother died in 1911. Mr. and Mrs. Fagerlandhave two children: Violet and Harley. Mr. Fagerland has served as village clerk for three years, as a member of the council four years and as school director three years. He and his family belong to the United Lutheran church. Since coming to Eleva they have made many friends and are increasing in prosperity from year to year as the result of honest dealing enterprise and frugality. SOURCE - HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Back to Home Page