Call John A.
Call John H.
Cannon Amelia Mrs.
Carlson Anna Mrs.
Carlson Carl T.
Carlson Carl Mrs.
Carlson Gustave Olaf
Castad Chris Mrs.
Christianson Arnt Mrs.
Christianson Christ Mrs.
Christianson Even Mrs.
Christiansen George M.D.
Christianson Hans (2)
Christianson Hans Mrs.
Christianson Lena Mrs.
Christianson Malner P.
Christianson Martin Mrs.
Christianson Ole Mrs.
Christianson Ole Mrs.2
Christianson Ole P.
Christianson Pernille Mrs.
Christianson T. Mrs.
Christophersen Einard Bjorn
Christophersen Emanuel Rev.
Christophersen Emanuel Rev. 2
Christopherson Lauritz Mrs.
Christopherson Ole Gustveen
Clark Elizabeth Mrs.
Clipper Anna Brevign Mrs.
Cram Almon Mrs.
Crawford Bert Mrs.
Crawford Gurina Mrs.
CAROLINE CARLSON (SWEDEN)
Miss Caroline Carlson passed away at 6 o’clock in the morning on December 19, 1935 at the Dan Carlson home in Lee. She was 70 years, 8 months and 10 days of age. Miss Carlson was born at Jacklider Sogn Wormland, Sweden on April 8, 1860. She came to this county in 1889 and came directly to the farm in Lee, where she has since resided. She was never married. She had continuously lived with her brother, Dan Carlson. She was a member of the South Beaver Creek Church and was an earnest church worker. She was a kind and loving sister and a good neighbor. The funeral services were held from the home at one o’clock and at 2 o’clock from the South Beaver Creek church on December 21, 1935. Rev. John Olsen of Frenchville and funeral director B. Smith in charge. Interment was in the South Beaver Creek Cemetery. Reprinted from the MELROSE CHRONICLE - THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - JANUARY 17, 1936
MRS. ANNA CARLSON (SWEDEN)
Mrs. Anna Carlson passed away at her home in Shake Hollow on November 24, 1929, at the age of 78 years 2 months and 21 days. Mrs. Carlson underwent a serious surgical operation about three years ago and the following two years her health was very fair. About one year ago indications of Bright’s disease developed and that with several other complications resulted in her death. Funeral services were conducted at the South Beaver Creek Lutheran church on Tuesday afternoon by Rev. N.E. Halvorsen. The services were largely attended and there was a wonderful profusion of flowers attesting to the esteem in which she was held by her relatives and friends. Mrs. Carlson was born in Vermland, Sweden, on September 3, 1851, the daughter of Peter and Ellen Johnson. She emigrated to America with her parents in 1857, at the age of 6 years, and located at Neenah, Wisconsin, remaining there three years and later moved to Melrose, Wisconsin. In the year 1875 she was united in marriage to Ole Carlson and located on the farm now owned by Earl Jennings in Shake Hollow. To this union was born seven children, of which three survive. Her husband preceded her in death some 36 years ago. The following children survive: Mrs. Amelia Halvorsen, Lisbon, N.D.; Mrs. Alma Fithen, Fergus Falls, Minn., and Price Carlson, Melrose, Wisconsin. She also leaves nine grandchildren, one great-granddaughter, three brothers and one sister. The brothers and sister are John P. Johnson, Rush City, Minn.; A.P. Johnson, M.P. Johnson, Mrs. Martha Berg, all of Melrose, Wis. Mrs. Carlson became a member of the Lutheran church in her youth and ever since has been a worshiper in that faith. She was a kindly Christian woman, devoted to her family, and one who was always ready to be of assistance to her friends and neighbors. Her children and other relatives have the sincere sympathy of their many friends in their great sorrow. THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - DECEMBER 13, 1929
CHRISTIAN CASTAD (VARDAL)
Christian Evenson Castad died at his home in the town of Hale Sunday, August 7, 1932, after an illness of ten months. At the time of his death he had reached the age of 88 years, one month and three days. Christian Castad was born in Vardal, Norway, and came to this country at the age of 23 years. A few years later he settled on the homestead where he has lived ever since. The deceased leaves to mourn his death, seven children; namely, Gustave of Minnesota; Oscar on the home place; Cornelius, Robert and Margaret, Mrs. Carl Finstad of Osseo; Christine, Mrs. Elmer Larson, Whitehall; Arndt of Ettrick and eight grandchildren. Mrs. Castad preceded him in death six year ago. Mr. Castad was in good health until he was taken sick on October 56, 1931, and from that time he was confined to his bed. He was laid to rest Wednesday, August 10, 1932 in the Pigeon Falls cemetery. Rev. Christopherson of Pigeon Falls delivered the funeral sermon. Many came to show their last respects for a citizen who will be greatly missed by all. The pall bearers were Morris J. Pederson, Elmer O. Larson, Carl Finstad, Axel Sedahl, Tom Syverson and Emil Melom. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 18, 1832
MRS. AMELIA CANNON (VAALER, SOLAR)
Mrs. Amelia Cannon, whose maiden name was Knutson, was born in Vaaler, Solar, Norway June 10, 1855. She was raised by Mr. and Mrs. C. Kvenmoen of Blair. She was married in 1881 to James Cannon and after living a few years in Neillsville, they moved to Minneapolis where her death occurred on Friday, February 28, 1919. Besides her foster mother, Mrs. Kvenmoen, there remain the following relatives to mourn her death: The A.G. Pederson family of Blair, Mr. and Mrs. O.A. Kvenmoen of Berlin, N.D., Mr. and Mrs. P.A. Kvenmoen of Jamestown, N.D. and Mr. and Mrs. P.M. Stutrud of Minneapolis. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 6, 1919
MRS. CARL CARLSON (VERMLAND, SWEDEN)
Mrs. Carl Carlson of Chimney Rock died at her home May 14, aged 88 years, 7 months and 15 days, following an illness since January. Funeral services were held at the Chimney Rock church Monday, the Rev. A Wichmann officiating and burial was in the church cemetery. Mrs. Carlson, nee Anna Hendrickson, was born in Wermland, Sweden, September 29, 1848, and married Carl Carlson in 1880. The two came to America in 1888, settling on the farm where Mrs. Carlson was to live until her passing. Her husband died in 1896, since which time her son, Carl, has operated the home place. Surviving the deceased are her five children, Carl at home, Mrs. Melvin Jacobson of Chippewa Falls, Mrs. Helmer Halvorson of Minneapolis, Mrs. Anderson of Eau Claire and Mrs. Melvin Jacobson of Strum, besides 16 grandchildren, three great-grandchildren and one brother, P. Hendrickson of Tacoma, Wash. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MAY 20, 1937
GUSTAVE OLAF CARLSON (OSLO)
Gustave Olaf Carlson, a former resident of Whitehall, died at his farm home near New Auburn December 18 at the age of 89 years, three months and nine days. Funeral services were held at the Bethel Lutheran church at New Auburn on December 20, the Rev. G.A. Almquist officiating. Interment was in the Spring Brook cemetery. Mr. Carlson was born near Oslo, Norway, September 10, 1860. At the age of 18 years he came to this country. In the spring of 1889 he married Emma Hendrickson and the couple lived near Whitehall for 17 years. In the spring of 1906 they moved to their New Auburn farm which remained his home until his death. To this union four children were born. Three sons, Carl, Arthur and Clarence survive him, while a daughter preceded him in death in 1928. His wife died November 7, 1949. Two grandchildren also survive. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 29, 1949
ARNT CHRISTIANSON (SOLAR)
Arnt Christianson died Saturday, January 29, 1927, at his home in Lakes Coulee where he has resided ever since coming from Norway. Mr. Christianson was born in Solar, Norway, March 12, 1846. He came to this country in 1869 and the same year he was married. To this union were born ten children, three of the children and his wife having preceded him in death. Mary, Mrs. Alex Olson of Tamarack; Annie, Mrs. Jim Hanson of Newcomb Valley; Jennie, Mrs. Charles Bingham of Winona; Emma, Mrs. Melvin Tolokken of French Coulee; Olaf and Ebert at home. Also 21 grandchildren, 8 great-grandchildren, two brothers, Ole and Martin, the former living at Middle River, Minnesota and Martin at Blair. He had reached the age of 80 years, 10 months and 16 days. He had been in poor health for several months, confined to his bed for eight weeks. The funeral services were held at the home and at the Fagernes church on Wednesday, February 2, Rev. Bestul officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 10, 1927
MRS. LENA CHRISTIANSON (RINGSAGEN)
Mrs. Lena Christianson died Wednesday, January 25, 1911, at the age of 75 years and 11 months. She was born in Ringsagen, Norway, February 19, 1835; married Knut Simpson in 1858; came to America in 1871 and settled in Trempealeau county, where after three months her husband died. In 1872 she married Oluf Christiansen, who survives her besides five children, namely, Mrs. Nettie Ostering of Los Angeles, Cal.; Sam Simpson of Ridgeway, Minn.; Martin Simonson; Mrs. Fred Ziegler of Arcadia, and Charles Christiansen of St. Paul. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - February 2, 1911
TORBJORN CHRISTIANSON (NORWAY)
Torbjorn Christianson, an old and respected resident of Trump Coulee, died on the 21st of May of paralysis, aged 76years, 5 months and 15 days. Deceased leaves besides a wife, three daughters, Mr. B.T. Hanson of Kutely Coulee, Mrs. A. N. Burch and Mrs. John Dale of Trump Coulee, and four sons, C.T., T.T., N.T. and S.T., all of Trump coulee. There are also 31 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Deceased emigrated to this country from Norway in 1857, and after residing a few years in Dane county moved to this county in 1861 where he had since resided. The funeral was held at the Houge church Monday and was largely attended, Rev. Dahle conducting the service. THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - MAY 28, 1908
MRS. ARNT CHRISTIANSON (SOLAR)
Mrs. Arnt Christianson died Sunday morning April 11, 1926, at her home in Lakes Coulee, where she has lived since coming to this country. Mrs. Christianson’s maiden name was Caroline Everson. She was born in Solar, Norway, September 5, 1846. She came to this country in 1869 and the same year she was married to Arnt Christianson by Rev. Valdelan at the Trempealeau Valley church. To them were born ten children; three of them have gone before her. She leaves to mourn her loss her husband and the following children: Mary, Mrs. Alex Olson, of Tamarack; Annie, Mrs. Jim Hanson, of Newcomb Valley; Emma, Ms. Melvin Tolokken, of French Creek; Milda, Mrs. Helmer Tolokken of French Creek; and Jennie, Mrs. Charles Bingham of Winona; Olaf and Ebert at home. Also 21 grandchildren, seven great-grandchildren, and her sister, Mrs. Emelia Thompson. Besides her relatives, she leaves a host of friends. She will long be remembered and much missed in her home and church, where she loved to be. They have had both their silver and golden weddings. Mrs. Christianson had been in failing health for several months and when the Angel of Death came to receive her, she was prepared to go to the Better Land, where sorrow and parting shall end. Her funeral was held at the home and at the Fagernes Lutheran Church on Wednesday, April 14th, Rev. Bestul officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 15, 1926
MRS. T. CHRISTIANSON (STUTNESS)
Mrs. T. Christianson was born in Stutness, Norway on the fourth day of June, 1834, and came to this country in 1857, settling with her parents, at Primrose, this state. Five years later she was married and with her husband moved to Trump Coulee, where she has since resided, the husband having been called in death about eight years ago. Since that time Mrs. Christianson has made her home with her son, Chris. Eleven children were born to this union, six of whom survive. They are: Christ, Thomas, Nels, Sever, Mrs. Andrew Burch and Mrs. John Dahle. Funeral services were held at the home Wednesday afternoon, Rev. Borgen officiating, with interment in the Upper Trump Coulee cemetery. The Press joins the many friends in extending sympathy to the sorrowing children. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 5, 1916
MRS. HANS CHRISTIANSON (NORWAY)
Mrs. Hans Christianson died last Saturday evening at her home in this city. Her illness began about six months ago and during the past three months, she has been confined to bed. The cause of her death was a malignant tumor. The discomfort and pain incident to her ailment she bore with Christian fortitude. The funeral was held on Monday afternoon. Brief services were carried out at the home. At the Lutheran church, Rev. Urberg delivered a funeral oration in the Norwegian language and Rev. Bestul preached in English. A large number of friends paid their last respects to the deceased at the church. Interment was made at the Lutheran cemetery. Caroline Christianson was born in Norway, February 10, 1846. Her parents, who died in Norway, were Ole Larson and Margaret Gunderson. She was married in her native land in November, 1868 and in the same year accompanied her husband to America. They settled immediately in the Trempealeau County and have since lived continuously in or near Ettrick. She was the mother of nine children, six of whom survive. The deceased members of the family were Robert, Ole and Melvin. The surviving members, besides her husband are as follows: Helena, now Mrs. L.M. Larson of Regine, Canada; Martha, now Mrs. A.C. Hagestad of Ettrick; Clara, wife of Rev. P.A. Henrickson of Bowdon, North Dakota; Helmer and Octavia of Ettrick, and Anna Emelie, now Mrs. E.J Burke of LaSalle, Ill. THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - OCTOBER 1, 1920
HANS CHRISTIANSON (RINGSAKER, HEDMARKEN)
The passing away of Hans Christianson no doubt has taken away our oldest pioneer. Mr. Christianson came to Ettrick and started in business in 1871, just three years after his arrival in America. His first three years were spent as a farm hand in South Beaver Creek. Mr. Christianson was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Olson in November 1866. Mrs. Christianson passed away September 25, 1920. Nine children were born to this union, six of whom are living to mourn their loss. Those living are: Mrs. L.M. Larson of Regina, Canada; Mrs. A.C. Hagestad of Ettrick; Mrs. P.A. Hendrickson of Valley City, North Dakota; Mrs. John Olson of Oshkosh; Mrs. E.J. Burke of LaSalle Ill.; and Helmer, living at home. Two years ago this winter, Mr. Christians slipped and fell on the ice; he never recovered from this. For a time it seemed that he would rally and throw off the effects of his fall, but his age was against him. Up to within the past two years, Mr. Christianson had been in perfect health, he was always ambitious and the writer cannot recall any one time that he was not at work at his bench. He was a very good citizen, at all times interested in the welfare of his community. He never entered into politics; nevertheless, his good will was for the community in which he lived and only influenced by his own judgment in the selection of officers for the various jobs. When Mr. Christianson came here in 1871 to open up business, this village then boasted of four buildings. They were real hard times to go up against. Money was scarce and work was about as scarce. Time wore on and in the end he had laid the foundation for a substantial business which was his reward for the hardships he had gone through. He was a member of the Lutheran faith and was true to the teachings of his church. The deceased was born in Ringsaker, Hedmarken, Norway, October 17, 1843, and passed away Monday, December 29, 1924 at the age of 81 years, 2 months and 12 days. The last four days his condition was alarming, but early on Monday morning he was considered greatly improved. The end came at about 8:45 Monday. Funeral services were held Friday, 12 o’clock at the home and 1 pm. at the church. His children all attended the funeral with the exception of Mrs. John Olson of Oshkosh and Mrs. L.M. Larson of Regina, Canada. Rev. S.S. Urberg had charge of the services, but was assisted by Rev. T.E. Sweger. REPRINTED FROM THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - THE BLAIR PRESS - JANUARY 8, 1925
OLE CHRISTIANSON (BIRI)
Ole Christianson Was born in Biri, Norway, April 8, 1848. He emigrated to America in 1868, and spent his first years in this country in Hardies Creek. He was married to Thone Hoieson in June 1878. He was in business with his brother in Blair for a while, later moved to York, where they lived eight years, and from there moved to Prey, where they spent two years. Since then they had made their home on their present farm, three miles northeast of Blair. To this union were born the following children: Minnie, Mrs. A.K. Thompson, Arcadia; Aleda, Mrs. Martin Thompson, Blair; Arthur, who died in infancy; and Omer, at home. Mr. Christianson was a member of the Trempealeau Valley congregation from the time he moved on the farm. He was confined to the sick bed for over a year, and spent the last seven months at the sanitarium at Onalaksa. He died of pulmonary trouble February 2, 1926 at 8:30 p.m. His wife is still at the sanitarium, suffering from the same trouble, and was not able to attend the funeral. Funeral services wee held at the Trempealeau Valley church Friday, February 5, at 1:30 p.m, Rev. T.E. Sweger officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 4, 1926
MRS. EVEN CHRISTIANSON (ULSAKER)
Mrs. Even Christianson, well know, loved and respected by a large circle of acquaintances in the Hale country, died August 14th. She was born in Ulsaker, Norway, July 27, 1865. She came to America with her parents, Hans and Maria Larson in 1866 to Filmore county, Minnesota. After two years stay at this place, they moved to Hale, which had been her home since. Here practically her whole life was spent. The 6th of May, 1880, she was confirmed by Rev. Em. Christophersen, who at that time served the Hale congregation. In the year, 1891, the 14th of December, she was married to Even Christianson. To this union, six children were born. Louise, Albert, Olaf, Marie, Mathile and Anton. Albert, Mathilde and Anton are still at home. Olaf, Louise and Marie having established homes of their own in the town of Hale. Mrs. Christianson lost her mother at the age of five years. In the year 1870, five brothers died of diphtheria and in 1888, a sister died from pneumonia, leaving her the only child in the family. Her father died June 12, 1915, at the age of 74. The funeral was attended by a large gathering which more than filled the Hale church. Rev. E.B. Christophersen officiated. Besides the beautiful flowers, there were a number of memorial gifts to missions and charitable institutions. With her friendliness and genial disposition, she will be sadly missed, not only by her family, but by a large number of friends. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - SEPTEMBER 11, 1930
MRS. OLE CHRISTIANSON (KVITSERID, TELEMARKEN)
Thon Helgeson was born in Telemarken, Norway, June 15, 1854. She came to America with her parents Halvor and Aslaug Helgeson in 1861. After a short residence in Racine county they came to Trempealeau county. She was confirmed October 2, 1870 in the Trempealeau Valley church by Rev. Jenson. She was united in marriage to Ole Christianson in 1878. Four children were born to this union: Minnie, Alida, Omer and Arthur who died in infancy. Her husband preceded her in death 8 years ago, February 2, 1926. She was a very devoted mother and the welfare of her children lay strongly upon her heart. She was a woman who valued the friendship of many and with her cheerful disposition made many friends. She was a member of the Trempealeau Valley church. Mrs. Christianson is survived by her children: Mrs. Minnie Thompson, Arcadia; Mrs. Alida Thompson, Blair; Omer of LaCrosse; nine grandchildren; one sister, Mrs. Signe Drangstveit and one brother, Knute Helgeson, both of Blair, also survive. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. O. H. Hofstad, assisted by Rev. T.E. Sweger Tuesday, May 15 at the home and the Trempealeau Valley church. A memory wreath to the Home for the Aged by Mrs. Signe Drangstveit, Mrs. And Mrs. Melvin Drangstveit and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Drangstveit. The pall bearers were Ole Sylfest, Guy Shepherd, Ole Lyngen, Andrew Nelson, Tom Mikklson and Henry Helgeson. THE BLAIR PRESS - MAY 17, 1934
EVEN CHRISTIANSON (NORWAY)
Even Christianson, 77, died at his home in the town of Hale Saturday afternoon, December 17. Funeral services were held at the Hale Lutheran church Wednesday, the Rev. N.E. Halvorsen, officiating. Burial was in the church cemetery. Mr. Christianson was born in Norway, May 6, 1861. After coming to America, he settled in the town of Hale, where he lived until his death. He is survived by four sons and two daughters, Lewis, Albert on the home place, Olaf of Bruce Valley, Anton, Mary, Mrs. Emil Peterson and Mathilda, Mrs. Joseph Peterson. There are also two brothers, Anton and Sever Christianson of Northwood, N.D. Mrs. Christianson died eight years ago. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 22, 1938
MARTIN CHRISTIANSON (VAALER, SOLAR)
The life of another one of the old settlers of this county came to a close at his farm home near Blair on the morning of June 9, 1930 when Martin Christianson passed away at the age of 79 years. Martin Christianson was born in the parish of Vaaler, Solar, Norway, March 15, 1851. He came to this country in 1872, for some time making his home with his brother, Arndt Christianson, who had previously emigrated to this country and had settled on a farm in Lakes Coulee, Town of Preston. In July 1874 he was married to Marie Olson and in 1875, they settled on a homestead claim in the French Creek valley where they built up a good and comfortable home, where they lived for abut 57 years. Twelve years ago he sold his farm in French Creek valley and bought a farm near Blair, where he lived until he peacefully passed away June 9, 1930. His wife preceded him in death two years ago since which time his health gradually failed; but it was only the last few months that he had to keep to his bed more or less. With the help of his adopted son, John, he worked up the farm in good shape so today it is one of the best farms in the valley. Mr. Christianson was a hard working man and a good farmer, and always took good care of what he had. He was a good neighbor, always willing to lend a helping hand to a person in need and his promises could always be depended upon. Funeral services were held at the house and at the French Creek church June 11th. Rev. Johan Olson, pastor of the French Creek congregation, delivered the funeral address, and the body was laid to rest beside his wife in the French Creek cemetery. The only surviving relatives are his son, John, and the children of his brother, Arndt. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 19, 1930
MRS. MARTIN CHRISTIANSON (HURDALEN)
Maria Olson Bjornstad was born in Hurdalen, Norway, April 14, 1851, came to this country with her parents Ole and Sophia Bjornstad in 1870, first settling at Coon Prairie, Wisconsin, later living at Black River Falls until her marriage to Martin Christianson July 6, 1874. She came with her husband to a farm in French Creek valley where they lived 43 years. Selling the farm they bought a farm a 1 ½ miles west of Blair where she lived with her husband and adopted son, John, until she passed quietly away Friday morning, April 20, 1928 at the age of 77 years and 6 days. She had been in poor health a number of years, but was up and around most of the time until two weeks before the end came. She was a good and Christian woman, a life-long member of the Synod Lutheran Church. Funeral services were held from the French Creek church Tuesday, April 24, 1928, conducted by Rev. S.S. Urberg who spoke both at the house and church. Interment was made in the French Creek cemetery, Alvin Runnestrand in charge of arrangements. She leaves to mourn her death her husband, son John and four brothers: Hans, Ole, Gullick and Adolph, all brothers living at Cashton, Wisconsin. THE BLAIR PRESS - MAY 3, 1928
MRS. OLE CHRISTIANSON (SOLAR)
Mrs. Oliva Christianson was born in Solar, Norway, January 31, 1873. She was the daughter of Olea and Kristiane Haug and lived with her parents until the year 1904 when she came to The United States, coming directly to Whitehall, where she made her home until May 24, 1905, when she was united in marriage to Ole P. Christianson and went to the farm with her husband, northwest of Whitehall, where she spent the rest of her life. To this union was born one child, Oscar. Mrs. Christianson was preceded in death by her husband, who died in 1910. Two years later Mrs. Christianson and son, Oscar, went to Norway to visit relatives and friends, returning in the fall of 1914. Since that time she and her son have lived on the farm. She passed away Tuesday morning, December 12, at 9 a.m. after many years of failing health which finally culminated in cancer. During her last months she had looked forward to death and when the final summons came, after a long period of intense suffering, was prepared to go. She leaves to mourn, her son Oscar, a sister in Norway and many friends. Funeral services were held Thursday, December 14 from Our Saviour Lutheran church in this village. Rev. O.L. Hofstad conducted the services. Interment was at Old Whitehall cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER, DECEMBER 21, 1922
OLE GUSTVEEN CHRISTOPHERSON (FAABERG, GULBRANDSDAL)
Ole Gustveen Christopherson of Lakes Coulee passed away after a long illness at his home on Friday forenoon, February 28, 1930, at the age of 82 years and 8 months. Last fall his right foot started to pain him and he was taken to the hospital where it was found necessary to amputate his leg. When he had fairly recovered from the operation, he suffered a stroke, from which he recovered enough to be taken home, where he died two weeks later. Ole Gustveen was born in Faaberg, Prestegjeld, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway in the year 1847. In 1869 he came to this country with his parents Christopher and Mary Olson, and settled at the place where Ole Gustveen had lived ever since. In 1871 he was married to Marthe Olsdatter, and to their union three children were born: Marthinus of Colfax, Wisconsin; Christian, on the home farm and Regina, now Mrs. Harold Rude of Tappen Coulee. During the early years of his life spent in America, before he took over his father’s holdings, he worked in the cornfields near Trempealeau in the fall and in the logging camps in the winter. He also worked a few years as shoemaker for Mr. Christianson of Ettrick. Mr. Gustveen Christopherson had been a lifelong member of the Fagnernes church. He was a good and faithful father, and always ready to lend a helping hand to everyone. Funeral services were held at the Fagernes church, Tuesday, March 3, Revs. S.S. Urberg and N.T. Halvorson officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 13, 1930
STIAN CHRISTIANSON (RISOR, TELEMARKEN)
On Thanksgiving Day a man was buried who was 33 years old when president Lincoln issued a proclamation declaring Thanksgiving day to be a national holiday. Stian Christenson was born December 20, 1830 in Risor, Telemarken, Norway, to the parents Chresten and Berthe Christensen. Of his early life little is known. This is only natural because he was in full manhood long before the Civil War broke out here in America. His early manhood dates back to a period which is known to us only through the history books. In 1884 Mr. Christensen came to America and made his home in Pine Creek where he lived until 1914 when his wife, nee Berthe Olson, died. Since the death of his wife he has lived with friends and relatives in Pine Creek, Taylor and Star Lake, Wisconsin. The writer spoke with him after he became a centenarian and he was wonderfully alert at that high age. He leaves to mourn his death three children, Mrs. John Jacobson, Ole Christensen and Mrs. John Moen. One daughter, Mrs. Henry Hendrickson, preceded him in death. He fell asleep on Monday, November 21, 1932 at Star Lake, Wisconsin. Funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church in Taylor with interment in the Pine Creek cemetery. As we viewed the remains of this old man, all the history of the United States passed before our mind’s eyes; here was one whose life was lived in all but the first 40 years of the entire history of the U.S. A. Peace be with his dust; blessed by his memory. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 1, 1932
PEDER CHRISTIANSON (SOLAR)
Peder Christianson was born in Solar, Norway, April 12, 1872. He came to America with his parents, Ole and Pernilla Christianson, when he was three or four years old. The family secured a homestead in the town of Lincoln, and on this place, Peder grew to manhood. He was confirmed by the Rev. Emmanual Christopherson of Pigeon Falls. The first major tragedy in Peder’s life occurred when he was six years old. His father, who was at the time working in a northern lumbering camp, was accidentally killed. And not many years later, his only brother and two sisters died of diabetes. All were in their teens. Peder never married, but as long as his mother lived he made a home for her. Several years after his father died, they moved to another farm nearby the homestead, which they operated until 1911. From then until 1924, when Mrs. Christianson died, they continued to live on the place but rented the land to Lewis Witt. Now alone, Peder bought a home in Whitehall and moved to the village. This he shared during the past 11 years with his second cousin, Dr. Oscar Christianson of Chicago, whenever the latter was free from his studies or work and vacationing in his native community. Blessed with robust physique, Peder was never seriously ill until the last few days of his life when following a siege of the flu and exposing himself too quickly after recovering, he was taken with double bronchial pneumonia. Friends had him moved from his home to the local hospital, and his cousin was called. He died Friday, February 22, 1935. Funeral services were held the following Monday from Our Saviour’s Lutheran church, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiating. A quartet, including Mrs. Lewis Hanson, Mrs. J.E.Rhode, Mrs. O. W. Elstad and Mrs S.M. Salverson, sang two hymns. Pallbearers were Ole Iverson, Lewis Witt, Pete Peterson, Ed Christopherson, Frank Caswell and Gilbert Paulson. Burial was made in the Old Whitehall cemetery. Deceased leaves to mourn his death his cousins, Martin Christianson of Fitch Coulee and Ludvig Chrisitianson of Bemidji, Minn., and his second cousin, Dr. Christianson, now residing in Chicago. Pete, the name by which he was commonly known, was a popular thresherman, an occupation he followed extensively for many years. He loved machinery, so much so that it has often been said that could he be repairing or inspecting some mechanical device, he was happy. A good neighbor and a true friend, Pete leaves a host of acquaintances who mourn his death. His disposition was unceasingly cheerful, and among his many friends, who will not miss his smiling countenance, congenial words and infectious laugh? Going deeper, we find that his every act reflected a sterling character. Probably the two words that best describe him are honesty and kindness. All his obligations he met promptly, and he was known for his fair dealing in all transactions. His kindliness is especially appreciated by the second cousin, who found in him a friend and counselor that a father could not have surpassed, even unto his deathbed. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 7, 1935
MRS. PERNILLE CHRISTIANSON (SOLAR)
Pernille Christianson was born in Solar, Norway, January 5, 1845, and married Ole Christianson in 1871. She came with her husband and three children to the Town of Lincoln, this county, in 1877. Here for a short time they made their home with Peter Christianson, a brother of the husband of the deceased. Near Peter’s place they found a rough forty of land which they entered under the homestead law. Here they built a small shanty and began their dream of a house. Like most immigrants they had nothing but hope, courage, and industrious hands to begin with. When winter came, the husband went to the pineries to work; likewise the next winter. On February 17, 1879, he was killed by a tree which though accident or carelessness was felled on him while he was sawing. Thus, the subject of this sketch was left with three small children and soon after the death of her husband came another child. Of the four children only Peter survives. Tilda died October 17, 1895; Maria, May 14, 1898 and Christian, November 9, 1900. But despite grief, loneliness, poverty and in unbearable hardships, Mrs. Christianson toiled and prospered through her forty-five years of widowhood and her son, Peter, continued to faithfully assist her. Her life is one of the most striking examples in this neighborhood of what can be accomplished by singleness of purpose and constant industry and economy. Mrs. Christianson was a woman of fine and commanding presence with mental and moral qualities that triumphed over all adversities. Her health was remarkably good up to a short time before her passing. She died from a stroke at the Community hospital in this village August 5, 1924. Her funeral was held in Our Saviors church August 8, 1924, Rev. Christophersen officiating. Her body was interred in the Lutheran cemetery at Old Whitehall. When we are told of the death of a good man or woman who has been blessed with good health, mentally and physical, for seventy-five years or more, we experience a peace and tranquility such as we feel when a deep-toned organ peals forth a melodious anthem. There is joy over the long successful pilgrimage but no noisy exultation. These sentiments pervaded Rev. Christophersen’s discourse as he stood beside the silent tabernacle of the departed and pictured in calm, comforting words her life’s journey through many trials, but always through an atmosphere of God’s all-embracing love. We experience like emotions and sentiments as we watch the quiet, majestic flow of a river coursing through its lower level stretches of the sea. But if we follow it to its source we learn that its calm and quiet have been interrupted by innumerable obstructions. Here is a cascade where the current is torn into jets of spray as the waters dash over terraced rocks. Farther on are the cataracts where the river leaps hundreds of feet from sheer mountain walls into abysmal depths where it churns, eddies and froths in dizzying confusion before it recovers its regular flow and balance. And still farther we find it creeping and whirling and twisting through mazes of rocks and roots. But if the river in its lower course impresses us with a peace and serenity like the undertones of an organ, then the overtones of its tremendous and spectacular struggles on its upper course ought to inspire admiration and a spirit of emulation. We see it split, divided, dissolved into foam, mists and spray again and again, but its identity is retained, its volume and strength increased, until at last all the noise and tumult are hushed into one grand harmonious symphony. The river expresses a very good illustration of the course of the course of a good, long and successful human life. And in the contemplation and review of such a life we find energies, misused passions gone astray, impulses blind reason, hope and faith shivered by misfortune and disappointments. But when we see the broken barriers, the obstacles overcome, and temptations thrust aside, and the sublime trust that all will be well, then we know that the essential God-given endowments have been preserved and the Divine identity maintained. We judge not human life by its fragments but by it’s ensemble-it’s final serene whole as it merges with the infinite future. It would not be true to say that this meditative sketch had its sole inspiration from a review of the life of Mrs. Christianson, but the immediate impulse of these reflections did come from a study of her long, hard journey and its beautiful finish. Only one near relative-her son-to enshrine her memory-a sweet, pleasant memory it ought to be-but her example is worthy the attention of all who find themselves in the dark vales of adversity and aspire to the height where victory waits to crown the noble and valiant. Written by HA. Anderson THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 14, 1924
MRS. CHRIST CHRISTIANSON (SWEDEN)
Funeral services were held at the home northwest of Independence and at the Independence Lutheran church Tuesday afternoon, June 19, for Mrs. Christ Christianson, 52, who died June 14 at her home after many months of failing health. The Rev. O.G. Birkeland officiated at the last rites. At the church the choir sang “I Know of a Sleep in Jesus’ Name” and “Nearer My God to Thee”. James Gabriel sang “Abide With Me” as a solo. Burial was Bethel cemetery. Pallbearers were three nephews: Mence Sather of Independence, Leroy Lure of Osseo and Roderick Sielaff of Whitehall, Melvin Solberg of Blair, Bennie Olson and Alton Anderson of Independence. Flowers were carried by nieces, Mrs. Frank Kuhn of Minneapolis, Mrs. Lester Wedding of Strum, Mrs. Clarence Dean of Pigeon and Miss Ione Sielaff of Eau Claire. Mrs. Christianson, formerly Helga Enarson, was born in Warmland, Sweden, May 13, 1883, daughter of Embert and Matilda Enarson. She came to this country with her two sisters, Mrs. Bert Haugen and Mrs. Pete Christianson, now deceased in 1904. Miss Enarson was married to Christ Christianson on June 2, 1906. They lived a couple of years on Maule coulee and later purchased the place where she spent her remaining years. To the couple were born six children: Oscar, Blair; Helen, Mrs. Milo Torud, Whitehall; Edna, Mrs. Jimmie Johnson, Blair; and Leonard at home; and Theodore, who died in 1930. She also leaves her husband; seven grandchildren; three sisters, Mrs. Sena Sather of Independence; Mrs. Sam Bue of Beloit and Mrs. Bert Haugen of Rugby, N.D. and one sister and two brothers in Norway as far as is known. Two sisters preceded her in death. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 28, 1945
OLE CHRISTOPHERSON (VAALER, SOLAR)
Ole Christopherson was born at Vaaler, Norway, on August 17, 1846. To him as to so many of his countrymen came the call of the New World overseas and in 1870, he came to Black River Falls in this state, where he found work in the woods and on the drive. In 1873 he married Miss Randine Benson. Six children were born to them, four of whom died in infancy, the others, Ole and John, survive to mourn the loss of a good father. He is also survived by a brother, Knut Christopherson of Blair. In 1873 the family went to Eau Claire, where they lived until when they made a home on a homestead in the town of Drammen until 1900. In that year Mr. and Mrs. Christopherson settled in the city of Mondovi. It was here in 1915 that Mr. Christopherson lost his wife by death. On August 27, 1927, he was united in marriage with Miss Ida Johnson of Gilmanton. Last February his health began to fail and gradually his strength wand until he passed away from this life on the morning of July1. His wife survives to mourn the loss of a kind husband. On Thursday, July 3, a short funeral service was conducted at his home in this city and then the remains were taken to the church in Pleasant Valley which he helped to build. There services were conducted by Rev. E.A. Norsen and body found its last earthly resting place in the cemetery on the hillside. In the second chapter of his epistle to Titus, Paul writes: “But speak thou the things which belong to doctrine: That the aged men be sober grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience.” To this ideal of the apostle Ole Christopherson conformed and for such as conform to this ideal, the happy gates to the new and better life are always open. Ole Christopherson in passing on leaves behind him a good example of patience and unwavering faith in his Maker. THE MONDOVI HERALD, JULY 11, 1919
KNUDT CHRISTOPHERSON (VALER, SOLAR)
Knudt Christopherson was born in Vaaler, Solar, Norway, April 2, 1844. He together with many others, among them Martin Toroldson and wife, left Vaaler in 1869 and came to this Portion of Trempealeau County. He made his first home with Sever Iverson until he was able to obtain a piece of government land upon which he built his home. This farm is owned by Oscar O. Nyen In 1890 he sold his homestead to his son, Carlot, and purchased the farm he now lives. Fifteen years ago he sold this farm to Bernt Tenneson and moved to town where he remained until his death. He was married in 1866 to Bertha Johnson. Their union as blessed with five children, three sons and two daughters. One of the sons died in childhood; another died in 1895 at the age of 21; the third, Carlot, died in Canby, Oregon two years ago. His two daughters, Mrs. Julia Berg, from Santa Ana, California; and Mrs. Eli Berg from Berg, N.D., were both here during the summer and were at his bedside at the time of his death. Mrs. Christopherson died April 2, 1893. Knut Christopherson was a kindly man, a law abiding citizen of the type of emigrant whose efforts transformed the American wildness into a land of plenty. During these years in which he was so busy clearing and transforming a portion of this wilderness into his well cultivated farm, he was vitally interested in the affairs of church and state. He was a strong, healthy man up to his last years. Even in his old age, up to within a short time before his death, he was able to come to town nearly every day. He closed his eyes in death on the 13th of August, and was buried on the 15th. The funeral was held from the Zion Lutheran church, Rev. Urberg officiating. Mr. Christopherson was laid to rest beside his wife and two sons. THE BLAIR PRESS - AUGUST 21, 1924
INGER CHRISTOPHERSON (ASKEROT)
As I sit down to write the obituary of the esteemed and beloved woman whose names appears above, I am conscious of wave after wave of memories crested with lights that illuminate deep, shadowed in departed years. And though I consider it a precious privilege to add my testimonial of appreciation to hundreds already expressed, I feel an unusual degree of inadequacy for the task before me. I cannot tell in altering rimes. The beauty of Cathedral chimes; Nor can my broken times express, The fragrant South winds sweet caress; Nor can I paint the wonderous lights, That oft imparadise our nights. Much less can I appraise the worth, Of things that reach beyond the earth. In the fall of the Centennial Year, 1876, when I returned to Pigeon after several years of youthful wanderings, I learned that Rev. Emanuel Christopherson and his wife had prospectively become permanent residents of Pigeon Falls, he as pastor of the Lutheran Church organized several years before by Rev. Waldeland. Mr. and Mrs. Christopherson came directly from Norway in the summer of 1876, in response to a call from the Lutheran Congregations of Whitehall, Pigeon and affiliated congregations. It is recalled that they spent their first night in this community at the ever hospitable home of Mr. and Mrs. A.W. Anderson in Erwin Coulee. For a brief time they lived at Whitehall in the little house now owned and occupied by Miss Henrietta Engen. From there they moved to Pigeon Falls where all their subsequent years were spent. The present church building, often referred to as the Upper Church at Pigeon Falls, had been built but not finished when the Christophersons arrived. It is also recalled that the first service conducted in this building by Rev. Christopherson was a confirmation service, and that Ludvig Ekern, the oldest son of Peder Ekern, was one of the Catechumens or candidates for confirmation at this service. When we consider the fact the Mr. and Mrs. Christopherson were reared in comparative wealth and luxury, in a community well organized for centuries, it is easy to imagine that as they traveled from place to place in this frontier land, they found themselves unconsciously repeating “Crude, Crude!” for everything abut them was in a state of newness-elemental, chaotic, but plastic-awaiting organization, leadership and the touch of strong guiding hands. This well-favored pair, healthy, educated, cultured and unafraid, met the conditions that faced them in an admirable manner. They had been married just before coming here and they were called on not only to help shape the destiny of a family, but also of a large and growing community. It was seen after my return that certain occurrences in the neighborhood brought about an intimate acquaintanceship between Rev. Christophersen and myself, which continued until his death. Incidentally at the same time I became acquainted with Mrs. Christophersen. Thus it chanced that the real life work of these good people, as well as my own, began practically at the same time, for I began teaching school that same fall and the following year married. Nearly fifty-four years were full of work, problems and enough of adversities to remind us of our mortal state. In his day, Rev. Christophersen served as master of congregations at Old Whitehall, New Whitehall, Pigeon Falls, Northfield, Beef River, Hale, Chimney Rock and occasionally as far north as Mikana in Barron County. This intense and strenuous life of the husband of necessity affected the wife. She shared in the glory of his victories and walked with him through the shadows of his failures. But Mrs. Christopherson was not a mere shadow of a reflection of her husband. While he taught, preached and organized, she disseminated such charm of manner and constant overflowing geniality, that in her own right she earned and received from all whom she came in contact with the spontaneous tributes of love and esteem. And while she abundantly met the calls of duty as a pastor’s wife, she also met another class of duties no less sacred. As a mother of eleven children and householder in a home where guests were never limited as to number, and rarely, if ever as to length of time they might stay, only a woman in a similar situation can truly judge and appreciate the bigness of her domestic talents. If she ever murmured over her husband’s lavish hospitality and benevolence or the large demands on her motherhood, such murmurings have not been broadcasted. How often I have heard from lips now sealed in eternal silence, and lips still warm with praise: “Mrs. Christopherson is such a good woman.” No encomium ever fell from the lips of kings or queens greater than this; for those who uttered such statements were but by currents flowing direct from their hearts. Mrs. Christopherson was born October 3, 1849, on Askerot, a small island in Christiania Fjord. Her ancestors for many generations had been sea-faring folks. Her father, Knut Johan Nielson, was typical sea captain who spent more than fifty years on the ocean. Her mother was Brethe Helene. Rev. Christopherson was born and reared on another island near by. His father was also a sea captain. Therefore the meeting and marriage of these twain were only natural sequence of propinquity, common tastes and environments. The date of their sacred union was March 23, 1876. Their honeymoon trip brought them here to face life’s stern realities. The children born to them were: Christopher, Anna, now Mrs. Olaf Mosbo, of Rembrandt, Ia; Knut Bjorn; Gottlob Bjorn; Johannes Bjorn of Glasgow, Montana; Einar Bjorn of Pigeon Falls, Wisconsin; Andreas Gerhard Bjorn, of Superior, Wisconsin; Johanne Marie of Frankfort, Michigan; Knut Johan, of Pigeon Falls, Wisconsin; Ragnild Margaret, now Mrs. Peterson of Chicago, Ill.; and Valborg, also of Chicago, Ill. Knut Bjorn and Gottlob Bjorn are dead. On March 23, 1909, came to Mrs. Christopherson the most stunning blow of all. Sitting at the dinner table on this 33rd anniversary of their wedding day, a silent, invisible spear struck down her husband, without the slightest warning. But the bereaved wife did not shut herself away from life and its manifold duties. Love for her fellowmen, love for children, impelled her to look on the sunny side of life and dispense cheer and kindness wherever she went. Blessed with unusual health, she continued to get about actively among her friends up to the very day she was stricken almost as suddenly and unexpectedly as her husband. On July 5, about 4:00 o’clock in the morning came the emphatic intimation that death was on the way, and on July 10, she finished her earthly race. As long as memories last among those who knew her, many will walk in the light of her remembered smiles and feel the balm of her kindness and sympathy. Funeral services were held at the home of her son, Rev. E.B. Christopherson, Monday afternoon, July 14, conducted by Rev. E.O. Vik of LaCrosse. Otto Clatmen of Chicago sang a vocal number. Rev. C.B. Bestul of Brandon, Minn., preached the funeral sermon at the church. Short talks were given by Rev H.O. Magelsen, LaCrosse; Rev. A. J. Orke, Pigeon Falls; Rev. T.E. Sweger, Blair; Rev. O.O. Lovaas, Taylor; Rev. E.O. Vik, LaCrosse; Rev. K.M. Urberg, Blair; Rev. T.H. Megaarden, Galesville; Rev. Johann Olson, Ettrick; Rev. J.H. Pruss, Strum; Rev. J.O. Hjolum. Music was furnished by the South Beef River male quartette, accompanied by Mrs. Edwin Thomley, and Otto Clausen of Chicago, accompanied by Philip Tomte, church organist. Pallbearers were Martin Thomley, Tom Lomsdahl, Edward Hagen, John Larson, Oluf Bergerson and Simon Faldet. Flower bearers were Mrs. Oluf Hagen, Mrs. Tillie Everson, Mrs. Ole Haug and Mrs. Edwin Thomley. A profusion of flowers expressed the loving sympathy in which she was held by her relatives and many friends. Numerous contributions were given to memorial funds. Arrangements were in charge of undertaker E.A. Sletteland. Written by H.A. Anderson THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 24, 1930
REV. EMANUEL CHRISTOPHERSEN (DYNGER)
Rev. Emuel Christophersen was born in Dynger, Norway, June 23, 1849. After finishing college at Damen, he entered the University of Christiania, where he took up the study of Theology and graduated in 1873. March 23, 1876, he was married to Inger Nielsen at Lynger, Norway. Shortly after their wedding the young couple departed for the distant land across the ocean, from where a call had been extended the young minister through Bishop Essendrop to serve as pastor for Pigeon Creek and adjoining congregations. The call consisted at that time of five congregations, covering a wide territory of the then sparsely settled portions of Trempealeau and Jackson counties. In the early years of his service also Chimney Rock, Spooner and McKenney, where congregations had been organized, were visited and supplied with pastoral care. He shared the hardships and privations of the early pioneer days. On his long and tedious drives to the distant congregations and in visiting the sick in his call, he often had to travel by night as well as by day, over great stretches of virgin soil where as yet no roads had been laid out. These were days of strenuous and incessant labor, but he never faltered, always seeking his strength, courage and comfort from above, from the Master, whom he was serving and whose work he was doing. While thus fully occupied with cares in his new home, he never lost his loyal regard and love for his old mother country, but always retained a deep interest in its concerns and welfare. Neither was anything that pertained to the true betterment and uplift of his adopted country ever in want of full and hearty support and cooperation on his part. To those who were destitute and in need, he was always ready to minister, both of worldly and spiritual goods, as far as he was able. But chiefly as a dispenser of spiritual blessings will he be remembered and blessed by the many members of his three congregations. His married life was blessed with eleven children. The three oldest sons died in infancy and in childhood. His faithful and loving wife, Inger, four sons, Johnnie, Einar, Gerhard, and Knut; and four daughters, Anna, Marie, Ragnild and Valborg, remain to cherish the memory of a truly noble and devoted husband and father. March 23, 1909, the 33rd anniversary of his wedding, the summons of his Master came to him and he gladly responded peacefully passing out of the church militant into the church triumphant. The natural cause of death was a stroke of paralysis. Mrs. Christophersen and the two youngest in the family were present at the death bed. Anna was visiting in Minneapolis; Einar was at Hamline, where he is attending Luther seminary; Gerhard at Superior, where he is employed by the Twoley-Eimon Merchantile Co.; Marie was in Story City, Ia., where she teaches in the public schools; Ragnhild was at Galesville, where she is a student of Gale college. At the funeral, which occurred Monday, the 29th, all of the family were present except Johnnie, who is located in Spokane, Washington. An unusual number of people from the three congregations, and surrounding community attended the funeral. The following ministers participated: The Rt. Rev. J. Nordby, Lee, Ill.; Rev. B. Hovde, Blair; Rev. O.K. Bamburg, Whitehall; Prof. L.M. Grimstad, Galesville; Rev. S.S. Urberg, Blair; Rev. C.B. Bestul, Ettrick; Rev. E. Berrum, Half Way Creek; Rev. E. O Vik, La Crosse; Rev. D. Kvaase, Menominee. Revs. Bamberg and Hovde spoke at the home. Three members of the South Beef River and three congregations carried the casket out of the parsonage; six members of the Pigeon Creek congregation carried it into the church, and earthly remains to their final resting place. The Rt. Rev. J. Nordby preached the funeral services. Rev. .K Bamberg who serves at Whitehall Ev. Lutheran congregation, which originally belonged to Rev. Christophersen’s call, had charge of the ceremonies, and in behalf of the congregation offered a floral emblem. There were floral emblems of various descriptions from the three ladies’ societies of South Beef River church; ladies society of the Upper Pigeon Creek church, Foldalen School district, the Pigeon Creek ladies society, Pigeon Falls young peoples society, Gale College, La Crosse conference, La Crosse Lutheran hospital and others. May his memory live and serve as an inspiration to those who would live a fearlessly honest, upright and Christian life. WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - APRIL 1, 1909
PAUL CHRISTOPHERSON (OSLO)
Paul Christopherson died at the Lutheran hospital of Eau Claire in the morning of August 6, after a very painful operation, at the age of 80 years and 7 months. He was born on a farm not far from Oslo, the capital of Norway, January 11, 1847. He emigrated to this country in 1856 and worked a few years on Coon Prairie. In 1869 he was married to Miss Anna Olson and the same year the young couple came to Trempealeau county and established a home on a piece of land a couple of miles southeast of Strum in Johnson valley. By hard work and good management, the couple soon got the land turned into a fertile and beautiful home. This first union was blessed with four children of which two died young and two are living. Mrs. Ole Gilbertson of Strum and Carl. In 1882 his wife died and he was left alone with those two children to bring up, which he did in good shape. Some years later he was married again to Miss Ingeborg Lee. In 1895 he sold his farm and bought the Alex Tracy farm in the town of Sumner, which is one of the best and prettiest farms in the whole neighborhood. No children were born from the second marriage. His second wife died in 1921. About a year later, he sold his farm to his son, Carl, and built himself a cozy little home in Osseo. Dreading to live alone the few years he had left, he married his present wife, formerly Mrs. Christian Ruele, who together with Mrs. Gilbertson and Carl, survive him. There are also 8 grandchildren. Now, the writer doesn’t know much about his early life, but has been fairly well acquainted with Paul since he moved into the town of Sumner some 32 years ago and will say, he was a man of sterling quality, straight as a string, and his ability was above the average. He was a fine citizen and a splendid husband neighbor. He would go out of his way any time to give a lift to someone less fortunate. Considering the limited education men of his age had, he was very successful in his undertakings, and accumulated quite a little fortune, that is we don’t mean a Rockefeller, but as a plain dirt farmer. He was honored with several offices of trust, such as school and town offices, and has been a director of the State Bank of Osseo for a number of years. He was a good Lutheran and was a liberal donator to church affairs. In short he was a man that the writer feels proud to call a friend. Written by A.N. Freng in the OSSEO NEWS THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 18, 1927
MRS. LAURITZ CHRISTOPHERSON (TORPEN)
Death brought the life of Mrs. Lauritz Christopherson to a close at the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Bang at Blair Wednesday evening, December 30. Mrs. Christopherson was in her 95th year. She was born in Torpen, Norway, August 9, 1842, a daughter of Amen and Ann Amundson. Her Christian name was Agnette. In 1866 Miss Amundson was united in marriage to Lauritz Christopherson. A home was established in Norway, where they resided until 1882 and then came to America. The Christophersons came to Trempealeau county and settled in Bennet Valley, where they engaged in farming and continued to reside there for 20 years. After disposing of the place, they came to Whitehall, bought a home and resided here many years. After the death of Mr. Christopherson, the widow made her home with her son-in-law and daughter, Andrew Bang and wife, and went to Blair with them in 1924, when they moved to that village. The deceased is survived by two daughters, Mrs. Bang and Mrs. Gilbert Gilbertson of Irvin Coulee. Prior to her death the family tree included five generations. There were Mrs. Christopherson, her daughter, Mrs. Gilbertson; the latter’s daughter, Mrs. Ben Pahnke; Mrs. Pahnke’s daughter, Mrs. Donald Wright, and George Mae Wright, three years old. Funeral services were held Monday afternoon at the Rhode chapel and at Our Saviour’s Lutheran church in Whitehall, the Rev. O.G. Birkeland being assisted by the Rev. K.M. Urberg of Blair. Burial was in Lincoln cemetery. Song service was rendered by Mrs. Carl Jahr, who sang a solo, and by Mrs. Donald Warner and Mrs. Lloyd Nehring in duet. Pall bearers were Ben Pahnke, Albert Peterson, Melvin Bang, Anton Bernt, Gustav Gilbertson and James Steen. Flowers were carried by Mmes, Ben Pahnke, Albert Peterson, Melvin Bang and Clarence Hanson. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 14, 1937
JOHN CLIPPER (BREVIGN, GULBRANDSDALEN)
John Clipper, 89, Taylor, passed away on Wednesday, September 24, 1975 at the Black River Memorial Hospital, where he had been a patient two days. Clipper, oldest son of Ole H. and Alana Johnson Clipper was born on June 30, 1886 in Brevin, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway. He was baptized in the Sor-Fron kirke and came to America with his parents at the age of 5. He spent his entire life in Jackson County, with the exception of two years in Montana following his marriage to Effie Anderson on September 3, 1913 in Black River Falls. They returned to the Taylor area and farmed. Following his retirement from farming, Clipper was employed as custodian at the Taylor schools for many years. Survivors are three daughters; Mrs. Morris (Eileen) Casper, Taylor; Mrs. Olger (Helen) Berget of Hixton; and Mrs. Artis (Elayne) Hanson of Portage, Wisconsin; one son, Lawrence Clipper of Blair; one brother, Theodore of Taylor; three sisters, Mrs. Edward (Lena) Lambert, Taylor, Mrs. Judean (Mary) Severson, Xenia, Ohio and Mrs. Alma Steen, Oberon, North Dakota; 10 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his wife in 1968, one daughter, Mrs. Evelyn Letson in 1969, three brothers and one sister. Services were held on Saturday, September 27, 1975 at 2 p.m. at the Taylor Lutheran Church, the Rev. Vern Barlow officiating. Burial was in the Woodlawn Cemetery, Taylor. Pallbearers were Jeff Casper, Jay Casper, Jonathon Hanson, Ellsworth Storlie, Jerome Gusk and Maynard Clipper. Jensen Funeral Home of Hixton was in charge of the arrangements. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 2, 1975
OLE CLIPPER (SONDRE FROEN, GULBRANDSDALEN)
Ole Clipper passed away at the home of his son, John, in Taylor, Tuesday, May 14, 1946, at the age of 83 years and 29 days. He had been in ill health for a number of years. He as born in Sondre Froen, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, April 15, 1863. He came to America in 1889 and to Jackson county, locating at Goodyear, where he had employment in a saw mill. He later moved to a farm in the town of Springfield and in the fall of 1918 moved to Taylor from their farm five miles east of Taylor. He was married in 1885 to Anna Brevigen, who passed away January 30, 1930. One son, Edward passed away May 20, 1920. The remaining children are: John, Theodore and Mrs. Edward (Lena) Lambert of Taylor; Mrs. Forest (Anna) Zeman, Melrose; Alfred, Milwaukee; Henry, Eau Claire; Mrs. Judean (Mary) Severson, Dayton, Ohio; and Mrs. Olaf (Alma) Stein, Oberon, North Dakota. He leaves two sisters in Norway. Other survivors are 16 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren. He was a member of the Trempealeau Valley Lutheran church from which funeral services were held Friday, May 17th, with the Rev. B. J. Hatlem officiating. The pall bearers were Oscar Kutson, Hans Amundson, Jake Hoem, John Mattson, Alfred Kelley and Sever Skutley. Burial was in the Trempealeau Valley cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - MAY 23, 1946
MRS. ANNA BREVIGN CLIPPER (S. FRON; GULDBRANDSDALEN)
Mrs. Ole Clipper, a brief mention of whose death was made in last week’s issue of the Herald, was born December 31, 1860, in Gulbrandsalen, Sondre Fron, Norway, and was a daughter of Anna and Johannes Brevign. She was united in marriage in Norway, to Mr. Clipper in 1884 and remained there for a few years when Mr. Clipper decided to come to America. He was here a couple of years before his wife came to join him in 1891. They located at Black River Falls where Mr. Clipper had employment at a saw mill. Later they moved to a farm in Shake Hollow, where they lived a few years when they purchased a fine farm east of Taylor known as the Caves farm where they resided until 1918 when they moved to Taylor, to make their home, retiring from active work after any years of earnest and hard endeavor. Mrs. Clipper was taken sick last fall. She remained in her home in Taylor until New Years Day when she was taken to the Luther hospital at Eau Claire, where she underwent an operation for gall stones. In performing this operation, the doctors also discovered that she was suffering with a cancer and tumors, which had advanced too far for medical science to be able to do anything for her. She remained at the hospital for fifteen days, when she expressed the wish to be taken home, knowing that her end was near at hand. She was home a week, when on January 25th death came to relieve her suffering which during the last few days was intense, and at times she was unconscious. She was the mother of nine children, all of whom are living, except Ed, who passed away in 1920. The children, who together with a sorrowing husband, remain to mourn her loss are: Mrs. Ed Lambert of Taylor; Mrs. Forrest Zeman of Melrose; Mrs Olaf Steen of Oberon, N. Dak.; Mrs. Judean Severson of Taylor; Alfred of Racine; John, Henry and Theodore, of Taylor. All the children were here for the funeral except Mrs. Olaf Steen, who was unable to come. She is also survived by one brother and one sister who live in Norway. Funeral services were held last Thursday, at the Lutheran church at Taylor. Rev. S.S. Urberg, her life long pastor officiated, assisted by Rev. O.O. Lovaas. Interment was made at the Trempealeau Valley cemetery. The sympathy of this community is extended to the husband, children and relatives who mourn the loss of a kind wife and mother, friend and neighbor. THE TAYLOR HERALD - FEBRUARY 7, 1930
MRS. GURINA CRAWFORD (NORWAY)
Mrs. Gurina Crawford died Saturday night, March 28, after a long illness, having been in bed all winter. She was nearly 88 years old and her death was due to old age and a general breakdown. She was one of the oldest settlers of this community, having resided here since 1866. Gurina Holte was born in Norway, July 7, 1837 and was married there to Christopher Olson. In 1858 they came to the United States. It took them six weeks to make the voyage across the ocean. They located at Edgerton, Wisconsin, later going to Walworth, and in 1862, the family came to Trempealeau county and settled in Johnson valley near Strum, later moving to Osseo, where there were only a few buildings at that time. Mr. Olson was the first shoemaker in Osseo. They first lived in the house now occupied by Mrs. Hattie Newman. Later they built a house back of where Steenson’s store now stands. Mr. Olson died in 1875, and some time after she was married to Ed Crawford who was one of Osseo’s first blacksmiths, being in partnership with John Christianson. Their shop was on the south side near where the bakery now stands. Mrs. Crawford was the mother of ten children only two of whom survive. They are: Mrs. C.F. Nichols and Mrs. R.W. Whipple. She also leaves to mourn the loss of a kind grandma, six grandchildren, eight great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren. She was always a hard working woman and always ready to help anyone in need. Funeral services were held in the Osseo Lutheran church and were conducted by Rev. Aune and Rev. Preus of Strum. She was laid to rest in her family lot in the Osseo cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRI 15, 1925
MRS. BERT CRAWFORD (NESS)
Mrs. Bert Crawford, daughter of Andrew and Ellie Hilstad, was born in Norway August 10, 1880. She came to America at the age of two years. Baptized in Norway, she was confirmed at the Elk Creek church by the Rev. Heyer. In 1914 she was united in marriage to Bert Crawford. They first rented the Harry Caswell farm, now owned by Waldemar Pederson, but later bought the Simon Freng farm in Hale township, which remained her home until her death. Death came at the Whitehall hospital November 17 and funeral services were conducted November 21 at the home and the Elk Creek Lutheran church, the Rev. J.A. Westberg officiating. A song was sung by the choir and Mrs. Oscar Fremstad contributed a solo. Pallbearers, neighbors of the deceased, were Arthur Hammerstad, Halmer Holmen, Bernt Beck, Curtiss and Clarence Amundson and Sam Olson, while the flowers were carried by Mrs. Arthur Hammerstad, Mrs. Arnold Johnson and a great-nephew, LeRoy Johnson. Burial was in the Elk Creek Lutheran Cemetery. Mrs. Crawford is mourned by her husband; two brothers, Sever and Anton Hilstad of Hale, three sisters, Mrs. Emma Johnson and Mrs. William Toftum of Hale and Mrs. William Trenter of Whitehall, besides nieces, nephews, friends and neighbors. She was preceded in death by her father in 1898, her mother in 1948 and one sister, Ella, who died in 1910. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - DECEMBER 1, 1949
MRS. ALMON CRAM (STAVANGER, NORWAY)
Mrs. Almon Cram died suddenly last Thursday evening, September 4, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Harry Bennett at Centerville. Mr. and Mrs. Cram and Mr. and Mrs. John Cram had driven to the Bennet home to spend the evening. They had been there about an hour when Mrs. Cram complained of being sleepy. Then almost instantly, as she sat in a chair, her life went out. Funeral services were held Sunday from the Presbyterian church, conducted by the Rev. C. H. Phips. The church was filled with old friends and acquaintances and a long procession followed the remains to Pine Cliff. Ms. Cram was a native of Norway. Her maiden name was Isabella Gunderson and she was born in Starvanger, February 20, 1856. Her parents Michael and Betsy Gunderson, came to this country when the daughter was eight years old. The family first settled in Bear Creek, in the town of Ettrick and later located in Minnesota. The daughter, Isabella attended the old school in Beach district and was reared to womanhood in that locality. Her marriage to Almon E. Cram took place July 4, 1876, the centennial year. Three years later, Mr. and Mrs. Cram became residents of Galesville continuing in town twelve years and then settling on the farm two miles east, which has since been the family home. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Cram. Of these five, with the father, survive. The children are Mrs. Harry Bennett, Mrs. Milton Nerwin, Centerville; Ray, Galesville; and John and Vilas, residing on the farm. There are twelve grandchildren. Mrs. Cram’s mother, six brothers and two sisters also survive her. In her earlier life, Mrs. Cram was affiliated with the Lutheran church. She was a woman devoted in her home and her family. Neighbors attest to her many excellent qualities. Reprinted from the GALESVILLE REPUBLICAN THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - SEPTEMBER 21, 1922
LAURITZ CHRISTOPHERSON: (TOTEN)
"Lauritz Christopherson was born at Toten, Noway, april 25, 1846. He grew to manhood among the scenes of his birth, and in 1867 was united in marriage to Agnette Amundson. They remained in Noway until 1883, when they came to America and Wisconsin, making their first home in Lakes Coulee with Jule Skogstad. Mr. and Mrs. Christopeherson have lived in Bennett Valley, Pigeon Falls, Chimmney Rock and the past 20 years resided at Whtiehall. Mr. Christopherson died at the home of his daugher, Mr. A.O. Bang at Blair, Thursday, March 15, 1928. Funeral services were held Saturday from the home of his granddaugher, Mrs. Ben Phanke, of Whitehall, Rev. Urberg of Blair and Rev. Maakestad of Whitehall officiating. Vocal solos were rendered by Mrs. Carl Jahr and Rev. Maakestad. Burial took place in Lincoln cemetery. Deceased is survived by his wife and two daughters, Mrs. A.O. Bang of Blair, and Mrs. Gilbert Gilbertson of Irvin Coulee." THE BLAIR PRESS - March 29, 1928
MRS. CHRIS CASTAD: (VALDERS)
"Mrs. Chris Castad died at the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. Elmer Larson at Whtiehall Wednesday, October 27, aged 69 years and 10 months.
Caroline Erickson was born at Valdres, Norway, January 13, 1857. She grew to womanhood in the vicinity of her birth and in 1881 came to America and to the Pigeon Valley where a sister, Mrs. Hans Sedahl resided. The following year she married to Chris Castad and started housekeeping on the present Castad farm in the town of Hale, which Mr. Castad homesteaded from the government.
Deceased is survived by her husband, seven children and thre sisters. The children are Gustave, Pine Island, Minn.; Oscar at home; Robert at Osseo; Cornelius, town of Hale; Mrs. Carl Finstad, town of Hale; Mrs. Elmer Larson, Whitehall, and Arndt of Ettrick. The sisters are: Mrs. Severt Johnson, Osseo; Mrs. Annie Melom, Northfield and Mrs. A.O. Brosveen, Minneapolis.
Funeral services were held Saturday at the Lutheran church at Pigeon Falls, Rev. Christopherson officiating.
Last August Mrs. Castad came to visit her daughter and while here she was taken sick and since that time remained at her daughter's home until her death. Mrs. Castad became a member of the Beef River Lutheran church many years ago and until her death continued a devout Chrisitian, a true wife and a loving mother.
There was a large assembly of people to pay her their last respects. The floral offerings were pretty and many. The pall bearers were: Even Hawkenson, Carl A. Olson, Anton Skoyen, P.M. Lien, Ole Larson and Ole Foss. Undertakers Freng & Freng of Osseo were in charge of funeral arrangements.
Her final resting place is in the church cemetery at Pigeon Falls. Sympathy is extended to the relatives in the loss of a wife, mother and sister." - WHITEHALL TIMES - November 4, 1926
MRS. ELIZABETH CLARK (LACROSSE, WISCONSIN)
Mrs. Clark, the former Elizabeth Ethyl Syvertson, was born at LaCrosse, Wisconsin on July 27, 1897. She was the daughter of Hans O. Syvertson, a Norwegian immigrant and his wife, the former Julia Etta Spencer. The family lived in the Curran valley before moving to Melrose where her father ran a photograph gallery until he died when she was ten years old. She was graduated from the Melrose High School in 1914 and attended Normal School at LaCrosse State Teacher’s College. She taught all eight grades at the Brookside school in German Settlement near Ettrick and at the Hardies Creek School near North Bend. After her marriage in 1917 to Walter F. Clark at Winona, Minnesota, they lived at North Bend until they moved to a farm just west of Melrose, where they farmed for 25 years. They bought and remodeled a home in the village of Melrose where they lived happily until serious illness forced her husband to retire. She cared for him devotedly until he passed away in 1961. She enjoyed fixing up her home and taking trips to be with her family and relatives, particularly a plane trip to Florida and Chicago. Last summer, she entered the LaCrosse Lutheran Hospital, where a lingering illness was finally diagnosed as incurable. She returned home, where despite her suffering she always had a cheerful smile for her family and friends. She passed away at Black River Falls Community Hospital about 10:00 Christmas Eve, 1964, at the age of 67. She is survived by three sons: Clayton Clark of Palmyra; Spencer Clark of Wausau; Gerald Clark of Fairchild; and two daughters: Mrs. Forrest (Helen) Goodenough and Mrs. Merline (Alyce) Hanson, both of Melrose; 15 grandchildren; three brothers: Guy Syvertson of Hobart, Indiana; Rex Syvertson of West Salem and Leland Syvertson of Chicago, Illinois; four sisters, Mrs. Maie Heineck of Cataract; Mrs. Nell Stowe of Bradenton, Florida; Mrs. Oscar (Annetta) Olson of Alma Center and Mrs. Ina Buhlinger of Port Charlotte, Florida. Her mother and three brothers also preceded her in death. She is deeply mourned and will be greatly missed by her friends and relatives because se was so kind, considerate, friendly and thoughtful of others. She was a loving mother and grandmother who was always ready to sacrifice for her family and lend a helping hand. It was an inspiration to talk to her. She was a member of the Methodist Church. She attended the 50th Alumni banquet for her class last spring. Smith Funeral Home was in charge of the arrangements and services were held at the Melrose Methodist Church, December 28th, with the Rev. Bruce Willett officiating. Interment was in the Melrose Cemetery. Pallbearers were grandsons: Duane Goodenough, Alan Hanson, Marvin Clark, Steven Clark, Harley Goodenough and Dale Clark. Miss Rita Ristow was the organist and the vocal solos were sung by Mrs. Marion Sacia. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK
CARL T. CARLSON (ESTHER GETLAND, SWEDEN)
Carl T. Carlson, who is successfully engaged in farming in section 19, Gale Township, was born in Esther Getland, Sweden, November 9, 1870, son of Carl John and Johanna M. (Flood) Carlson. His parents were born in the same province, the father in 1844 and the mother in 1846. Carl J. Carlson learned the trade of shoemaker in Sweden. He served in the regular army but otherwise followed his trade there until he came to America with his parents’ family in 1880, they locating at Galesville. Here he continued at his trade for about seven years longer, at the end of which time he homesteaded the farm where his son, Carl T., now lives. This place remained his home until his death, which occurred November 3, 1905. His wife died July 3, 1911. Their children were: Carl T., now on the old homestead; August M., residing in New York City; Ellen Elizabeth, who died at the age of 24 years in 1898; Oscar Robert of Wild Rose, North Dakota, who married Stilla Lindberg and has three children, Earl, Oscar and Eugene E., and John M., Marie and Alfred J. Carl T. Carlson was the eldest of six children. He attended district school in Gale Township and worked out as a farm hand from the time he was 14 years of age, at times also working in the pine woods. His first employment was by Hiram Butman in Gale Township. About 1896 he purchased land in Polk County, of which he later sold a part, but still owns 80 acres of farmland there. Since the death of his parents, Mr. Carlson has been a part owner of the old Carlson homestead, his brother, Alfred J. and his sister, Marie W. having an equal share with him-self in it. The farm contains 200 acres, some of which is timbered land. It is operated as a stock and dairy farm and about 100 head of sheep are kept. Carl T. Carlson is a stockholder in the LaCrosse Packing Company and a member of the Farmer’s Shipping Association of Trempealeau County. He is a member of the Lutheran church and in politics is independent. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
HANS CHRISTIANSON (RINGSAKER, HAEDMARKEN, NORWAY) (2)
Hans Christianson, proprietor of a shoemaking and repairing establishment, and also a dealer in saddlery and harness in Ettrick, Wisconsin, was born in Ringsaker, Haedmarken, Norway, October 17, 1843, son of Christian Hanson and Roufe (Johnson ) Hanson. His parents were natives of the same place or province, where they lived many years, the mother dying in her native land. In 1866 Christian Hanson came to the United States, and locating at North Bend, Jackson County, there engaged in farming, which he carried on industriously up to his later years, his death taking place about 1892. Hans Christianson was his parents’ only child. He had somewhat limited opportunities for attending school, but acquired the rudiments of knowledge, and at the age of 14 years began an apprenticeship to the shoemaker’s trade, at which he became an expert workman. In 1868 he followed his father to America, and on arriving here at first settled on a farm at South Beaver Creek, about four miles from Ettrick. Until the fall of 1871 he worked out for others, and then, deciding to return to his trade, he came to Ettrick, and opening a shop, engaged in shoemaking and repair work, in which business he has since continued, having also added a compete line of harness and saddlery supplies. When Mr. Christianson first came to Ettrick there were only four buildings in the village and he has since witnessed its growth to a flourishing village of 300 people or more. He built his present store about 1905, a substantial building, conveniently located, and giving him plenty of room. Mr. Christianson was married in November, 1868, to Caroline Olson, who was born in his own native province in Norway, and who came to America at the same time that he did. Her parents, who died in Norway, were Ole Larson and Margaret Gunderson. Mr. and Mrs. Christianson are the parents of nine children: Helena, now Mrs. L.M. Larson, an attorney residing in Regina, Canada, where he is collection man for the International Harvester Company; Ole (deceased), at the time of his death he was interested in a large creamery at Long Prairie, Minnesota; Robert (deceased), who was appointed by Governor LaFollette as district attorney of Trempealeau County and in August that year died, leaving a wife and two children; Martha, now Mrs. Andrew C. Hagestad of Ettrick Township; Clara, wife of Rev. P.A. Hendrickson of Roanwood, Montana; Melvin (deceased), who was assisting his father in business; Helmer, who is now associated with his father in business at Ettrick; Octavia, a stenographer at Fargo, North Dakota; Anna Amelia, a graduate nurse from the Cook County Hospital, Chicago, is now Mrs. E. J. Burke. They reside at LaSalle, Illinois, where Mr. Burke is a practicing physician. Mrs. Christianson has built up a good trade and is one of the prosperous citizens of the village of Ettrick. He and his family are members of the Lutheran church. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
GEORGE CHRISTIANSEN, M.D. (LACROSSE, WISCONSIN)
George Christiansen, M.D., a popular physician of Galesville, was born in LaCrosse, Wisconsin, May 14, 1886, son of Peter and Anna (Iverson) Christiansen. The father was born in Norway, August 7, 1844 and came to the United States when about 18 or 20 years of age, locating in LaCrosse, Wisconsin where he worked for some time in a store. Subsequently he engaged in rafting on the river between St. Louis and New Orleans and continued in this occupation until the Southern Minnesota Railroad was built, when he found work on it building telegraph lines. Later he became inspector of a telegraph line, holding this position for a number of years. His next employment was in the Kline dry goods store in LaCrosse, and he remained there until he was appointed substitute mail carrier in that city, later becoming a member of the regular force. In 1911 he ceased industrial activity and is now living retired in LaCrosse. His father died October 22, 1916. His wife, Anna, who was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1860, died February 6, 1900. Their family numbered four children, of whom George is the third in order of birth. George Christiansen acquired the main part of his literary education in the grammar school at LaCrosse. Then, after two years of preparatory medical work in Milwaukee, he entered Northwestern University Medical School, at Chicago, where he was graduated M.D. in 1911, after a four years’ course. Returning to LaCrosse, he became resident physician to the Lutheran Hospital there, which position he held for three years. He then went to Holmen, Wisconsin where he practiced for about 18 months, at the end of which time he came to Galesville as successor to Dr. G.H. Laurence in general medical practice. Though here, but a shot time, Dr. Christiansen has already made a favorable impression on the community, and, being thoroughly well qualified in his profession, has the best prospects of a successful career as long as he chooses to remain here. He is a member of the County, State and American Medical Associations. His other society affiliations are with the Masonic Lodge, No. 177, of Galesville, the Elks’ Lodge, No. 300 and the Phi Chi Medical Fraternity. In politics he is a Republican. The Doctor was married May 25, 1917 to Miss Dena Edna Myhre of Galesville. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
JOHN H. CALL (BERGEN, NORWAY)
John H. Call has been a resident of Sumner Township since 1877, and assisted by his good wife has reared a large family of children, developed a good farm and established himself as one of the substantial men of the community. He is doing the township good service as supervisor, to which position he was first elected in 1915. Born near Bergen, in Norway, June 9, 1851, he is the oldest of the eight children born to Henry and Sophia (Eirum) Call. The father, born April 21, 1824, and the mother, born December 23, 1835, brought their children to America in 1853, reached Dane County, Wisconsin June 9 of that year after a trip of six months, fourteen weeks of which were spent aboard a sailing vessel, and the next year located at West Prairie, Vernon County, Wisconsin, where the father died in 1890 and the mother in 1910. John H. Call was reared to farm pursuits and for a number of years was employed on various farms. After his marriage in 1877 he purchased his present farm of 121 acres in section 27, Sumner Township. From a wilderness he brought the farm to its present high degree of cultivation. On this place he now successfully carries on general farming, and makes a specialty of breeding Holstein cattle, of which he has a good-sized herd. In this connection he has purchased a two-unit milking machine, which is proving a great saving of labor. The farm throughout is equipped with the best of machinery and tools, and is fenced with woven wire. The buildings are especially sightly. The first house, a frame building, 12 by 18 feet, was erected in 1877. The present home, a two-story frame structure of eight pleasant rooms, was erected in 1899. The barn was constructed in 1912. It is 40 by 64 by 14 feet, with a stone basement and cement floors. Steel stanchions and other improvements add to the comfort of the stock. The silo, 12 by 39 feet, built of substantial cement blocks. Mrs. Call was married July 1, 1877 to Caroline Prestegaarden, born in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, February 4, 1855, daughter of Andrew and Martha (Eirum) Prestegaarden, who came to America in 1869, located in Dane County, Wisconsin and in 1871 took up their residence in Sumner Township, Trempealeau County, where they spent the remainder of their days. Mr. and Mrs. Call are the parents of ten children: Sophia, born February 22, 187; Albert, born August 12, 1880; Helmer, born March 1, 1882; Charles, born April 24, 1884; Martha, who died in infancy; Julia, born October 12, 1888; Martha, born July 29, 1890; Clara, born December 2, 1892; James , born June 2, 1895; and Bernhard, born February 5, 1897. Albert and Helmer farm in Jackson County, Wisconsin. Julia graduated from the LaCrosse State Normal School and taught three years. She married, November 27, 1916, Edwin Anderson, a farmer living in Unity Township. The other members of the family are at home. The family faith is that of the Hauge Norwegian Lutheran church, of which Mr. Call is the treasurer. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
MAURICE CASEY (ETTRICK, TREMPEALEAU COUNTY, WISCONSIN)
Maurice Casey, a prominent resident of Ettrick Village, where he is profitably engaged in the implement and automobile business, was born in Ettrick, this county, April 14, 1880, son of Maurice, Sr. and Helena (Daley) Casey. He attended school in Ettrick and at an early age was obliged to make himself useful on the home farm, speedily acquiring a knowledge of agricultural methods, stock raising, dairying and all branches of farming science. Up to the age of 19 years he assisted his father and then rented the latter’s farm, which he operated for two years with his brother William as partner. At the end of that time he entered the employ of J.E. Cance of Ettrick, in whose store he learned the tinsmith and plumbing business, continuing with Mr. Cance until 1912, at which time he engaged in his present business. He has a thoroughly up-to-date establishment, enjoys a good patronage, and his trade is steadily increasing. Mr. Casey is the owner of a good residence in Ettrick, besides three village lots, and is a stock-holder in the Bank of Ettrick, the Ettrick & Northern Railroad Company and in Ettrick Hall. His fraternal affiliations are with the Beavers and the Modern Woodmen of America, he having been secretary of his camp in the latter order for the last 12 years. On March 16, 1911, Mr. Casey was united in marriage with Bertha Runnestrand, who was born in Ettrick, Wisconsin, daughter of Knudt E. and Anna (Larson) Runnestrand, natives of Norway, her father coming to Ettrick in 1877. Further mention of the family may be found in this volume. Mr. and Mrs. Casey have one child, Helen Anna. In politics Mr. Casey is practically independent, though usually voting the Democratic ticket. He reserves the right, however, to judge the fitness of candidates for public office, not being bound by strict party ties. As a citizen of Ettrick he has the interests of the general community at heart, and is quick to support any practical measure with that end in view. He and his family are well-known and popular residents of the village. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
JOHN A. CALL (CRAWFORD COUNTY, WISCONSIN)
John A. Call, an influential and prosperous businessman of Strum, was born in Crawford County, Wisconsin, March 1, 1864, son of Andrew and Brita (Johanasdotter) Call. Andrew Call was born in Sogon, Norway in 1826, came to America in 1850, farmed in Crawford County, Wisconsin until 1872 and then came to Unity Township, Trempealeau County, where he remained until his death in 1896, his widow now making her home in Strum. John A. Call was reared in Crawford County and came to Unity Township when eight years old. He attended district school and devoted his life to agricultural pursuits until 1896. In that year he came to Strum and engaged in the hotel and livery business. Subsequently he became a salesman of farm machinery. In 1904 he engaged in the hardware and implement business. In addition to this he handles harnesses and pianos and deals extensively in livestock. He has been a director of the school board since 1915. Mr. Call was married March 6, 1896 to Christine Johnson, of Unity Township, born in Gulbrandsdalen, Norway in 1872, the daughter of Lars Johnson. Mr. and Mrs. Call have had nine children: Birdella, William, Clarence, Lillian, Ruth, Esther, John and two who died in infancy. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
JOHN CARSON (WINNESHIEK COUNTY, IOWA)
John Carson, of Osseo, was born in Winneshiek County, Iowa, December 24, 1867, the oldest of the thirteen children of Ole and Jennie Carson. Ole Carson was born in Norway, came to America in 1865 and farmed near Decorah, Iowa, until his death in 1898, since which time his second wife, Julia Green, has made her home in Osseo. John Carson was reared in h is native county, he was about 15 he came to Osseo. After working on various farms for a number of years he opened a general store in Osseo in 1900. For a time he had J.N Lee as a partner but for some 15 years he conducted the business alone, selling out to M.I. Gilbert in 1916. In 1908 he erected a cement block building, with two full stories and a basement, thus giving him ample room for his rapidly growing trade. As justice of the peace for six years Mr. Carson won the respect of the community. He is especially interested in church work in the Hauge Norwegian Lutheran congregation and has been superintendent of the Sunday School for nearly twenty years. Mr. Carson was married June 5, 1889 to Anna Nelson, daughter of Eric and Betsy (Robertson) Nelson. Eric Nelson was born in Norway, came to America as a boy of nine years, has lived in Osseo 35 years, and now makes his home with the Carson family, his wife having died in 1914. With the family also lives Lottie Nelson, an Osseo milliner who was reared by Mr. and Mrs. Carson. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
MALNER P. CHRISTIANSON (TREMPEALEAU COUNTY)
Malner P. Christianson is the proprietor of the Strum Mill, one of the most important enterprises in the village. Born on the home farm three miles north of Strum, January 7, 1881, he remained with his parents, Ole P. and Pauline (Olson) Christianson until 1910. Then, after a year in the West, he bought the mill, which he now conducts. The mill is a substantial structure, 24 by 46 feet, erected in 1901 by Henry Ruseling, now of Eleva. Power is furnished by a 38-horsepower gasoline engine, and the equipment includes a 20-inch grinder and a cob cracker. The capacity is about 30 tons a day. In addition to doing a general gristmill business, Mr. Christianson handles Pillsbury, White Rose and Wingold flour, stock feed, flax meal, cal meal, middlings, shorts and bran. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
OLE P. CHRISTIANSON (NORWAY)
Ole P. Christianson was born in Norway, December 29, 1846 and was there reared. At the age of 21 he came to America, and located in Dane County, this state. Five years later he came to Trempealeau County and acquired 120 acres in Unity Township. This he successfully worked for a while, but in 1879, sold out and went to North Dakota. A year later, in 1880, he returned, married, and secured a farm of 120 acres three miles north of Strum. There he lived until 1911, when he moved to Strum. His wife, Paulina Olson, was born in Norway, March 20, 1865, and was brought to America by her parents at the age of 7 years. Mr. and Mrs. Christianson have five children: Malner P., the Strum miller; Johanna, who died in infancy; Josephine, the wife of Peter Smengson, of North Dakota; Otelja, who died in childhood, and Olga, a telephone operator. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917
EINARD BJORN CHRISTOPHERSEN (PIGEON FALLS, WISCONSIN)
Einard Bjorn Christophersen was born in Pigeon Falls, August 16, 1885. His parents were Rev. Emanuel Christophersen and Inger Christophersen. In the fall of 1900 he entered the preparatory department of Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, graduating from the preparatory department and continued in the collegiate department in 1902. He was graduated from the collegiate department, comprising a classical course, in 1906, with the degree B.A. The following year he taught school and in 1907 was admitted as a student at Luther Seminary, St. Paul, Minnesota. Upon completing the theological course at this institution in 1910 he was called to be his father’s successor as pastor of Pigeon Creek and affiliated congregations of the Lutheran Church of Pigeon Falls. On June 18, 1912, he was married to Myrtle Birdine Peterson, born November 8, 1888, daughter of Bent and Anne Peterson, Trempealeau Valley. Three children have been born to them: Emanuel Bjorn, born May 9, 1913; Rolf Erling, born August 19, 1915; and Paul Gerhard, born May 22, 1917. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917
REV. EMANUEL CHRISTOPHERSEN (LYNGOR, NORWAY) (2)
Rev. Emanuel Christophersen was born in Lyngor, Norway, June 23, 1849. Parents: Christopher J. and Margrete Christophersen. At the age of 13 years he entered Drammen’s Latin School and six years later matriculated at the University of Christiania. In 1873 he concluded his theological studies and after making a tour of Scotland, England, Germany and Denmark assumed the position of high school director in Gjerstad. Here he received information regarding the spiritual want among his fellow countrymen residing in America, and expressed his willingness to enter ministerial work among them. Through Bishop Hench he received a call from Pigeon Falls and affiliated congregations. He was ordained in Vor Freslser’s church in Christiania in 1876. The 23rd of March, the same year, he married Inger Nilson, also from Lyngor, Norway, born October 3, 1849, of parents Knut and Helene Nilson. Immediately afterward they emigrated to America and arrived at Whitehall May 30, 1876. Here they lived a few months until the parsonage, which was being built half a mile north of Pigeon Falls was ready for occupancy. His call consisted of five congregations and a number of missionary stations. For 33 years he performed his arduous labors in this large field with rare fidelity, traveling about in rain and sunshine, summer and winter, preaching the word of Christ’s gospel, administering the sacraments, comforting the sorrowful and instructing the young. During these many years of continued pastorate in Pigeon Falls he became widely known and respected in this and neighboring counties. His manly bearing, his clean-cut character and his integrity, together with his considerable learning commanded universal recognition and esteem. In his life work he was ably assisted by his faithful and self-sacrificing wife, whose crowning work it has been to make a home rich with joy, peace and contentment. Their married life was very happy. Eleven children were born to them. The three oldest boys, Christopher, Knut and Gotlob, all died young. The other eight living are: Anna, married to Olaf Mosbo and living at Rembrandt, Iowa; Johannes Bjorn, married to Eva Brevig and living at Roanwood, Montana; Einar Bjorn, successor in the father’s call and living at Pigeon Falls, married to Myrtle Peterson, of Trempealeau Valley; Gerhard Bjorn, married to Addie Dale and living in Frankfort, Michigan; Knut Johan, at Pigeon Falls; Ragnild Margrete, graduate nurse of Augustana Hospital, Chicago, living in Fargo, North Dakota; Valborg, teacher in North Dakota. On the 23rd of March, 1909, the anniversary of his wedding day, he suffered a paralytic stroke while seated at the dinner table and died a few hours later. The funeral took place on the 29th of March. Right Reverend J. Nordby, the president of the Eastern District of the Norwegian Lutheran Synod, spoke on 1 Peter 5:10, 11. The Revs. Ramberg, Gimmestad, Urberg, Bestul, Hovde, Berrum, Vik and Kvaase delivered brief addresses. The funeral services were attended by a great host of mourners. Floral offerings were sent by many societies and individuals. A number of old parishioners served as pallbearers from the residence of the deceased to the church. Six brother ministers carried his remains to the grave. Members of his congregations and his family have erected a beautiful monument upon his grave. At the time of his death his call consisted of three congregations: Pigeon Creek congregation, at Pigeon Falls; South Beef River, Jackson County, and Upper Pigeon Creek, Jackson County. During his pastorate at Pigeon Falls he had preached approximately 3,150 sermons, baptized 3,079, confirmed 2,029, married 480 couples and officiated at 1,002 funerals. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY – 1917
Back to Home Page