Search billions of records on

Wisconsin Scandinavian
Obituaries An - Aq

Norway Flag     Denmark Flag     Sweden Flag

Anderson Alex
Anderson Allaug Mrs.
Anderson Andrew
Anderson Andrew C.
Anderson Andrew W.
Anderson Andrew W. (2)
Anderson Andy
Anderson August
Anderson August Mrs.
Anderson Bennett
Anderson Bertha A.
Anderson Charles H.
Anderson Carrie Mrs.
Anderson Christian
Anderson Christine
Anderson Christopher
Anderson Cornell H.
Anderson Dorthea Mrs.
Anderson Edward
Anderson Edward H.
Anderson Ellen Mrs.
Anderson Ellen
Anderson Embret
Anderson Erick
Anderson Gabriel
Anderson Gilbert
Anderson Griffin
Anderson Griffin Mrs.
Anderson Gunder
Anderson H. A. Mrs.
Anderson Halvor
Anderson Hannah
Anderson Hans
Anderson Hans Mrs.
Anderson Judge Hans A.
Anderson Hattie Mrs.
Anderson Henry
Anderson Hogan Mrs.
Anderson John
Anderson John G. Mrs.
Anderson Julia
Anderson Knud Jr.
Anderson Lewie Mrs.
Anderson Maren Mrs.
Anderson Maren Mrs. 2
Anderson Minnie Mrs.
Anderson Morris
Anderson Ole
Anderson Ole J.
Anderson Ole J. (2)
Anderson Oline Mrs.
Anderson Oscar E.
Anderson Paul
Anderson Samuel
Anderson Svend Mrs.
Anderson Syverine Mrs.
Anderson Tom

"Bennett Anderson, deceased, one of the early settlers of Trempealeau County, was born in Valders, Norway. In 1868 he brought his family to Trempealeau County from Dane County and established himself as a farmer in Arcadia Township, being one of the earliest settlers in that neighborhood. He labored early and late and under these conditions prospered. He became one of the representative farmers of Trempealeau County, remaining on his farm until his death, February 15, 1902. He was married to Ellen Everson, who still survives and resides on the old homestead in Arcadia Township. He had a family of nine children, as follows: Inger Maria, who became Mrs. H.O. Wold and the mother of one child, Oscar B. Wold (she passed away in 1893); Gabriel, who died at the age of seven years; Ever B. and C.H., farmers in Lincoln Townshp; Sarah A. who died at the age of ten years; Gabriel, second, residing on the old homstead in Arcadia Township who married Julia Nelson and has four children: Bennett O., Irene E. Carrie M. and Goodwin J.; Carrie, who died in 1914; Edward, a resident of the state of Washington, and Polly A., wife of Henry Amundson, who resides in Ostrander, Minn., and has three children: Sidney B., Cyril W. and Madeline M." History of Trempealeau County, 1917

"Charles H. Anderson, whose well cultivated farm of 230 acres is located in sections 25 and 35, Lincoln Township, was born in Dane County, Wisconsin, December 15, 1865. He is a son of Bennett and Ellen (Everson) Anderson and is of Norwegian ancestry. His grandfather Gilbert, married Inger Flategar. Gilbert had considerable property in Norway and during a famine gave it all away to feed the starving. His mother, aged 80 years, had a life interest in the old home, and this she sold to provide her son Gilbert and his family with funds to come to America. They reached Milwaukee with no money and this aged lady walked from Milwaukee to Dane County, Wisconsin, with the family and the ox team. Bennett Anderson, father of Charles H., was reared in Dane County and there married Ellen Everson. After living in Dane County until 1868 he homesteaded land in Arcadia Township, which was his home until his death. He and his wife had nine children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the third in order of birth. Charles H. Anderson lived on the old home in Arcadia Townshp till 1887. He then went to Yellowstone Valley in Montana, where he worked at railroad construction for eight years. Then in the summer of 1896 he bought his present farm, which is a well improved piece of agricultural property. He raises Shorthorn cattle, keeping 50 head, which are all high grade. He feeds one carload a year and milks 20 cows, and keeps 40 cres of his land in clover and timothy. Mr. Anderson has served six years on the township board, during three years of which he has been chairman. He was married April 14, 1897, to Mrs. Marian Skaug (Nee Wald), widow of Christopher Skaug, of Unity, Wis. They have had 11 children, of whom three - Charles, Omer and Rudolph R. - died in infancy. The living are Blanche, Laura, Jane, Julia, Elanor, Myrtle, Caspter and Doris. Mr. Anderson is a member of the Synod Norwegian Lutheran Church." History of Trempealeau County - 1917

"Funeral services were held Monday at 1:30 P.M. at the Taylor Lutheran church for Mrs Hannah Anderson, 86. The Rev. B. J. Hatlem, assisted by the Rev. John Skepstad, Evansville, Minn., a nephew of Mrs. Anderson officiated.
Mrs. Hannah Anderson was born in Toten, Norway, one of eleven children of parents, Haaken Anderson and wife Andrine, May 14, 1869.
At the age of 20, she left her home in Toten and went to Oslo, Norway where she was employed for a few years and there met her husband, Eric Anderson.
The couple was married November 1, 1896. In 1904 Mr. and Mrs. Anderson and their two children, Mrs. Cornell (Anges) Rogness and Chris came to America and settled at Taylor. Anderson was employed by the G.B. and Western R.R. for 32 years. He died in 1936.
Mrs. Andeson continued to live at Taylor. Her health began to fail last year. She was hospitlized for one week at the Krohn hospital where she passed waway December 29, 1955.
Survivors are two children, Mrs. Rogness, Taylor and Chris, Berlin, Wisc., one brother Haaken Anderson, Norway and two grandchildren, Jane and Sara Anderson.
Pall bearers were Gorden, Omer Sidney and Harley Simonson, Merlin and John Joten.
Burial was at the Woodlawn cemetery." THE BLAIR PRESS - January 12, 1956

"Andy Anderson died at his home in Pigeon December 27, 1920, at the age of 73 years, 7 months and 9 days. He was born in Valders, Norway, May 16, 1847. He came to America with his parents in 1840?. They settled in Dane county, where he spent his boyhood days.
The last year of the Civil war he enlisted from Prairie du Chien, October 4, 1864, at the age of 17 years, and served with Co. B. 3d Wis. Regt., Vol. Infantry, under Lt. Oliver A. Hegg and Col. Wm. Hawley until the end of the war. He was engaged in the following battles: Harrison's Plantaion, Argyle Island, Buzzard Plantation, Robertsville Averaslors, Bentonville, marching with Gen. Sherman from Atlanta to the sea, and participated in the grand review at Washington, D.C. May 24, 1865. He was honorably discharged July 18, 1865, at Louisville, KY., on account of the close of the war.
His first marriage took place December 27, 1872, to Hattie Hanson of Preston. She died April 15, 1890. On April 25, 1891, he married Carrie Garthus of Independence. To this happy union six children were born, all of whom are living. He made his home near Independence for about thirty years after which he moved to Pigeon, about ten years ago.
Mr. Anderson's health began to fail about four years ago, the last two years being the hardest. He suffered from dropsy and heart trouble until the end. He was a patient sufferer. His wish was to depart and be with Christ and his loved ones who had gone before him. He was a kind and loving father. Although his disappointments were many, he always looked on the bright side of life.
The burial took place Friday, December 31. The ceremony was held at the house at ten o'clock. Rev. A.J. Orke officiating. The remains were laid to rest Bethel cemetery at Independence. He leaves to mourn his death his wife and six children, Mrs. H.J. Rhode of Fond du lac; Mrs. Adolph Hagen, Joel, Clifford, Valborg and Madelyn of Pigeon." - THE WHITEHALL TIMES - January 13, 1921

"A.W. Anderson died Wednesday, September 10, 1902, at 4:20 a.m. of tuberculosis of the bowels, aged 66 years, 7 months and 18 days.
Andrew Anderson Ruud was born in Valders, Norway, January 22, 1836. In 1854 he immigrated to this country arriving at Blue Mounds, Dane County, Wis., his parents, together with three brothers and two sisters, having come to this country four years earlier.
In Apriol, 1860, Mr. Anderson left for the gold regions of the West, locating at Denver, Colo. May 1, 1863, he left Denver and went to Helena, Mont., but in 1869, he moved to Trempealeau county, purchasing of Rev. Aldrich the farm upon which he afterwards continuously resided up to the time of his death.
In 1870, Mr. Anderson was married to Mis Julia Peterson of Blue Mounds. Deceased was a good man and kind neighbor, and ever ready to give any assistance within his power. He was one of the organizers of the Synod Lutheran church, first at Old Whitehall, later at Whitehall, and took an active interest in church work as long as his health would admit.
For a few years preceding his death deceased was not physically strong, and last May he was taken with the disease that terminated in his death. All that medical aid and loving care could do was done but of no avail. The time for his departure had come, and another home was made sad and lonely. His parents, a baby girl, two brothers and one sister died before him. Besides a brother and two sisters, he leaves a wife, an adopted daughter and son, to mourn the loss of a most affectionate husband and father.
The funeral services were held Friday from the Synod Lutheran church in this village, Rev. Christopherson, of Pigeon Falls, conducting the services in Norwegian and English. Interment was in the Lutheran Church cemetery at Old Whitehall. Card of Thanks - Mrs. Julia Anderson, Clara and George" THE WHITEHALL TIMES AND BLAIR BANNER - September 18, 1902

"Julia Anderson was born in the province of Valders, Norway, February 11, 1849.
Her parents were Peder Evenson Huset and Maria Huset. With them she came to U.S. in 1854. They settled near Blue Mounds, Dane county, Wisconsin, where they lived for about sixteen years. in 1870 they gathered their belongings - such as household goods, farm implements and cattle- and came to this county where they settled on a piece of land in the upper end of Erwin Coulee. In the meantime the subject of this sketch had grown to womanhood. Her parents, like most immgrants in early days, being poor, her school advantages were very limited. Early in her teens she had to go into service as "hired girl". During her early girlhood she became acquainted with Andrias Ruud, a son of Gulbrand and Ingeborg Ruud, who lived near the Husets in Dane county. Andrias was her senior by about 13 years. In 1860, he being then about 24 years old, went to Colorado in search of gold and adventure. For about four years he roamed the west, where he always found plenty of work, for he was a big, strong man. In 1864, he was at Denver, Colorado, when the news came that a rich gold mine had been discovered where the city of Helena, Montana, now is located. As soon as the report came, he, with a few pals left for the place of gold known as "Last Chance Gulch." He had at the time two yoke of oxen, which he had used for freighting. These he took with him over the mountains. When he reached Last Chance Gulch nearly all the good claims had been staked and the oxen he had brought proved to be worth more than most of the gold claims that had been registered. The mine was, however, one of the richest gold placer mines ever discovered on earth. For, in a short time, more than twenty-five millions of gold were dug out of that little narrow gulch. Thousands of men and women in the course of a few weeks flocked in. The discovery was made July 15, 1864, and by October the city of Helena was laid out and hundreds of homes began to dot the rough landscape.
Andrias Ruud was closely associated with a man by the name of Holter, who for many years, bore the distinction of being the "Richest Norwegian in Ameridca." Mr. Ruud and Holter were in on the ground floor in the freighting business, for we have heard Mr. Ruud say several times, that he and Holter hauled the first logs for the first house built in Helena. During his stay in Helena he became acquainted with many of the great historical characters of the west. Among them may be mentioned "The Royal Swede" and "X Biedler," either one of whom would give glamour to place or incident. In 1869 Ruud returned to Blue Mounds to renew his acquaintance with the Husets and other neighbors of his family. Among them was Julia, who was only eleven years old when he left for the west. When he saw her again, he found her a splendidly developed woman. No doubt his long absence in regions of gold and adventure had given him a halo of romance which made him the cynosure of many attractive maidens. But among all he met, he could probably have found none more suitable for his future career. Having settled the question of who was to be his help-mate, he at once began to look for a home-place. This he found in Erwin Coulee where he bought the farm then occupied by a Methodist minister, Rev. Aldrich, and where he and his wife spent the rest of their days. They were married July 12, 1870, by George A. Dewey of Arcadia. Only one child was born to them, which died a few weeks after birth. Later on they adopted Clara Solberg, who grew to womanhood in their home and is now Mrs. Clara Thompson of Palisade, Minn. Mr. Ruud, known to many of our citizens as A.W. Anderson, died the 10th day of September 1901. His widow Julia soon afterwards sold the farm to Ever B. Anderson, married to her sister, Carrie. Ever B. Anderson was a nephew of A.W. Anderson. Julia Anderson, however, continued to make her home with Ever B. Anderson and his wife until death.
Mrs. Julia Anderson needs no eulogy to adorn either her person or her character. She was gifted with an attractive personality and poise that defied all the minor annoyances, disappointments and adversities of life. She governed herself and surroundings without domination, pleased and attracted without apparent effort, was generous and hospitable without ostentation. Calmly and dispassionately, with an abundance of common sense, she managed her early affairs. Deeply religious, she lived in an atmosphere of faith in a firm reliance on her God and Savior. Though her sphere was narrow, her influence for good was wide. From an economic standpoint, her life was troubled much less than the lives of many of our pioneer women. Up till about ten years ago, she was a splendidly well prserved woman. On July 10, 1924, she fell and broke her hip. She was in the hospital for eighteen weeks, but failed to recover the use of her injured limb. This made her a prisoner in her home. And not long thereafter, her sister, Mrs. Carrie Anderson, became afflicted with a species of arthritis, which gradually invalided her to such an extent that she can only get about her house with a wheelchair. Thus the sisters for several years sat in the same room, looking into each others faces, with a latent hopelessness. But neither visiting friend or stranger was ever made aware of the mental or physical suffering of the sisters. Their pains, their griefs and their anxieties were always hidden under smiling faces and glad welcomes. In the early summer of 1933, the older sister found herself attacked by cancer. An operation at the Community Hospital, which seemed very successful, removed for a time apprehensions concerning her general health. But about three months ago she began to fail and since that time she was practically confined to her bed. Being willing and ready to go, she awaited the final call with a serene resignation. The writer called on her a day or two before the end. Asked her about sleep, pain and the discomforts of the extreme heat at the time, she replied in whispers which had no word of complaint nor impatience. Her last words as we parted were: "How is your family? How is Rose?" Then "Goodbye:. A strong, good woman gone to a well earned rest at the age of 85 years, 5 months and 13 days. She died July 24, 1934.
"Of all the thoughts of God that are Borne into souls afar,
Along the Psalmist's music deep, Now tell me if there any is,
For gift or grace surpassing this-- 'He giveth His beloved sleep.'
H.A. Anderson, August 5, 1934" WHITEHALL TIMES - August 9, 1934

Alex Anderson passed away at his home in Vosse Coulee, Town of Preston, November 15, 1918, at the age of 69 years, 11 months and 6 days after a lingering illness of two years. He was confined to his bed most of the time for the last six months. Alex Anderson was born in Solar, Norway December 9, 1849. He moved with his parents to this country when a young boy, where he has resided ever since. He was married in July 1874 to Dorothea Lewison, who with five children survive him, namely: Gilbert and Oscar of Griffin, N.D.; Mrs. Ella Dister of Colorado Springs, Colorado; Mrs. Edith Hanson and Alfred at home. He is also survived by three sisters and three brothers. The funeral was held Monday, November 18, 1918 THE BLAIR PRESS - NOVEMBER 21, 1918

Mrs Allaug Anderson, one of the early settlers of this community, passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Hannah Moe, at Madison, Wisconsin, January 12, 1922. The remains were brought here for burial and the funeral services were held at the Taylor church, Saturday, 14th. Interment was made at the Hjerleid cemetery. Rev. Urberg of Blair and Fosso of Taylor conducted the services. Mrs. Anderson was born in Holt PreStegjeld in Norway, June 27th, 1841. In the year 1871 she was united in marriage to Andreas Anderson. In the year of 1882 they came to seek their fortune in America and settled in Jackson county. Her husband passed away three years later and since that time she has resided in Taylor until the last several months when she made her home with her daughter in Madison. Mrs. Anderson had been in frail health for some time and death was due to infirmities of old age. About two years ago when she was making her home with her son, Andrew Anderson, in Taylor, she fell down stairs and was confined to her bed for several weeks, but seemed to recover completely from this accident. She leaves to mourn the death of a kind and loving mother, four children, namely: Mrs. Hanna Moe of Madison, Wisconsin; Henry Anderson, of Seattle, Washington; Ole Anderson of Granville, North Dakota and Andrew Anderson of Taylor. THE TAYLOR HERALD - JANUARY 27, 1922

Funeral services held Monday at the Wiemer funeral home and at the Independence Lutheran church for August Anderson, 65, who dropped dead of heart failure, Wednesday morning, January 13, while on route from his home three milEs north of Independence to that city. The Reverend O.G. Birkeland officiated and burial was in Bethel cemetery. Mr. Anderson was born in Varmland, Sweden, November 10, 1877, and came to America when eight years old. The family settled at Independence. August was confirmed by the Reverend Hauge at the Independence Lutheran church and was joined in marriage to Martha Berg there on August 6, 1905. In 1910 he settled on the farm formerly owned by his folks, where he lived until his death. Besides his wife, he is survived by four sons, Corporal Alfred Anderson of Camp Shelby, Miss.,; Darwin of Chimney Rock; Anton of Sturgeon Bay and Vernon at home. All were present at the last rites. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 21, 1943

Funeral services for Mrs. August Anderson were conducted from the home and the Upper Pigeon Church on New Year’s Day, the Rev. E.B. Christophersen officiating. Pall bearers were Lawrence Larson, Ole Hanson, Clarence Eid, Palmer Steen, Henry Hanson and Knudt Haugen, all close neighbors. Mrs. Thomas Larson and Mrs. Olger Mickelson carried flowers. Her daughter, Mrs. Rose Hoaglund and her son-in-law, George Hayes of Minneapolis attended the funeral. Mrs. Anderson passed away at her home early Tuesday morning December 29, after a brief illness, at the age of 82 years, one month and 14 days. Suffering a stroke during the night, she passed away very quietly. Serine O. Hendrickson was born in Solor, Norway, on October 14, 1860, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andreas Hendrickson. She came to America about 1884. The following year she was united in marriage to August Anderson. To this union nine children were born. Those surviving are Adolph of Taylor, Ole of Milwaukee, Mrs. Selmer Smith of California, Mrs. Rose Hoaglund of Minneapolis, and Herman and Carl at home. Her husband and three children have preceded her in death. She also leaves several grandchildren. The Andersons’ first home was with the Martin Lawrences, where Mrs. Anderson cared for Mr. Lawrence’s mother until her death. Later they purchased their own farm, now owned by Hans Haugen, where they continued to reside until they retired and moved to York about 28 years ago. The Andersons were true pioneers, Mrs. Anderson staying at home and taking care of farm and children while her husband went to work in the woods in the winter. Her life was a busy and active one in her home and the mother was usually waiting there to welcome home her loved ones and friends. They in turn made it as comfortable and pleasant for her in her declining years. The last few days, although not as active, she did not complain and retiring for the night, she peacefully closed her eyes in slumber, never to awaken again. Mrs. Anderson was a good mother and neighbor and will be sadly missed by her family and friends. Her earthly tasks are over, her journey is done. God called her and she readily obeyed His call. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 7, 1943

Mrs. Carrie Anderson died at the home of her grandson, Alfred Anderson, in Mill Creek Valley, Tuesday August 29th, 1922, of the infirmities of old age. Mrs. Anderson was perhaps the oldest resident of the county. She was born at Varmland, Sweden, December 2, 1825. She grew to womanhood in her native country and was united in marriage to Andrew Anerson in 1845. Six children were born to this union, three dying in infancy; one son, Olof, died in Sweden in 1920; one daughTer, Mrs. Gunder Olson, died in Toledo, Oregon, in 1902. One son survives the mother, Martin Anderson, father of Alfred Anderson and both made their home with him. Mrs. Anderson’s husband died in 1858, and in 1893, in the month of October, she came to the United States locating in South Beaver Creek, Jackson county, Wisconsin. She has resided in this locality since that time. Mrs. Anderson was a good homeloving woman, lived a Christian life and was greatly beloved by every one who raised acquaintance. She is survived by one son, six grandchildren and a large number of great-grandchildren. The funeral services were held on Thursday, August 31st, 1922, at the South Beaver Creek Lutheran church, Rev. Bestule, pastor, officiating and interment was made in the church cemetery. There was a large attendance at the services. The pall bearers were Messrs. Knute Danielson, Emil Olson, E.P. Olson, Martin Johnson, Christ Ramsley, Holver Hendrickson.. P.H. Smith funeral director of Melrose, had charge of the arrangements. THE ETTRICK ADVANCE - SEPTEMBER 8, 1922

Christian Anderson of Fitch coulee, town of Pigeon, died July 18, 1940, at the Community Hospital in Whitehall, aged 82 years, five months and eight days. Cause of his death was cancer of the throat, with which he had been ill 15 months. For eight months he was confined to his bed at home and the last eight days of his life he spent at the hospital. He had also been troubled with bronchitis for several years. Funeral services were held July 22 at the Synod Lutheran church in Pigeon Falls, the Rev. E.B. Christophersen officiating. Interment was in the S.L. cemetery. Mr. Anderson was born in Sondreland, Norway, February 10, 1868, and has been a resident of Fitch coulee for 39 years. He was a hard worker and had done his best for his family as long as he was able. Greatly missed by his wife and children (John O. and Arthur Anderson), they nevertheless feel that his rest is well earned. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - AUGUST 1, 1940

Christine Anderson was born near the city of Varberg in the province of Halland, Sweden, April 16, 1847. With her parents, Berent Benson and Christine Benson, she came to Chicago in the summer of 1871. Here she met Halvor Anderson, who became her husband in 1873. Soon after marriage, Mr. Anderson and his wife came to Fly Creek, this county, where both lived until death. Mr. Anderson followed the trade of mason of plaster more or less for about forty years after he came to Fly Creek. This necessarily left Mrs. Anderson alone much of the time and also cast upon her the burden to a large extent, of looking after the farm. Her home was situated more than eighty rods back from the highway and there were no homes in sight to visit her eyes. It was indeed a lonely place for her until her children came to keep her company. But few are they who ever heard Mrs. Anderson complain or saw her cast down or discouraged. She was a strong, cheerful soul, with a body that met every fall of her strenuous life until she was about eighty years old. Her husband died January 2, 1927, and since his death she suffered a great deal from sickness and the infirmities of age. She continued on the old homestead with her son Alexander and when able to do so, helped with the housework, he being a single man. Her illness has this characteristic, that she could not lie down. When unable to care for herself one or more of her daughters attended her. Her last sickness began about Christmas time and during its continuance her daughter, Mrs. Urban of St. Paul, was almost constantly with her. Credit for tender care rendered their mother, is due to all her surviving daughters, but especially to Mrs. Urban. No doubt her sons, Alex and Fred, did the best they could for their mother through the long weeks and months of her suffering. Mrs. Anderson was remarkable for physical strength and endurance and equally remarkable for her cheerful and hopeful disposition. But after her husband’s death and the first long and severe attack of sickness, she began earnestly to long for rest, and during her long vigil as she sat up night after night her every breath seemed like a prayer for a call from home. This call came finally on the 21st day of February, 1930. On February 25, in Our Saviors church in Whitehall, Rev. Maakestad officiating, the funeral services were held. To mourn her loss she leaves the following named children: Amanda Midtskogen of Fly Creek; Hannah Urban of St. Paul; Fred Anderson of Fly Creek; Tena Hanson of Ashland; Alexander Anderson of Fly Creek; and Edwin Anderson of Montana. All her children were present at her funeral except Edwin and Mrs. Hanson. The following named brothers and sisters survive her and were present at her funeral: Andrew Bensend of Whitehall; John Bensend, Mrs. A. Cornwall and Mrs. Jack Cornwall, all three of Turtle Lake, Wisconsin. Written by H.A. Anderson on March 2, 1930 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - MARCH 6, 1930

The Rev. C.K. Malmin conducted funeral services at the Northfield Lutheran church Monday for Christopher Anderson, who died Saturday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Edwin A. Olson in Timber Creek. Burial was in the church cemetery. Mr. Anderson was born May 28, 1852, a son of Marit and Anders Bakken in Norreland, Norway. He was married in 1876 to Laura Ulimoen and in the same year the couple came to America, settling in Filmore county, Minn.; where they lived for 11 years. At the close of that time they came to Northfield, which has since been his home. His wife died 22 years ago and a son Albert also preceded him in death. He is survived by seven daughters, Mrs. John T. (Mabel) Thompson of Osseo; Mrs. B.O. (Mathilda) Bergerson; Mrs. Martin L. (Louisa) Olson; Mrs. Martin O. (Caroline) Lee; Mrs. Melvin C. (Hazel) Larson; Mrs. Melvin (Hazel) Thompson and Mrs. Edwin A. (Agnes) Olson and a son Anton, all of North field. He is also survived by 28 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 18, 1940

Dorthea Anderson was born near Bergen, Norway, February 10, 1852. Her parents were Ole and Gunilde Lewison. She came with them to America at the age of three years. Their first home was in Dane County. They moved later to Trempealeau County. She was confirmed at the Trempealeau Valley church by Rev. Ole Waldeland. She was united in marriage to Alex Anderson the 20th of July, 1874. To this union 7 children were born, two dying in infancy. Her husband died twelve years ago. It is almost five years since her health began to fail. She has been an invalid the past two years. She bore this and other afflictions with extreme patience. The weary patient soul longed for rest which came quietly on October 21, 1930. She was at the time of her death aged 78 years, 8 months and 11 days. The children surviving are: Gilbert J. Anderson of Rhame, N.Dak., Mrs. Ella Dister of Colorado Srings, Colorado; Mrs. Nobel Hanson and Alfred Anderson of Blair. She is survived also by one sister, Mrs Mary Halvorson of Black River Falls and three brothers, Aleck Lewison of Blair, Andrew Lewison of Spring Valley and Ole Lewison of Iola. All the above mentioned were at the funeral. There are seven grandchildren. She has made her home with her daughter, Mrs. Nobel Hanson, where she received the kindest of care and attention. Mrs. Anderson was a quiet peaceful soul whose loving presence will be sadly missed. She enjoyed the respect and affection of many friends. As the evening shadows of life gathered about her she made ready for the journey Home. Funeral services were held Friday, October 24th, 1 p.m. at the home in Vosse Coulee and 2 p.m at the Trempealeau Valley church of which she had been a member almost a lifetime, conducted by the pastor Rev. T.E. Sweger. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCOBER 30, 1930

Mrs. Ellen Anderson died Wednesday, June 11, at the home of her son, Gabriel Anderson, after a lingering illness of several months, aged 81 years and 8 months. Ellen Anderson was born in Kvikne, Gulbrandsdalen, Norway, October 11, 1837. In 1852,she, in company with her brother, came to this country and located at Blue Mounts, Dane county, this state. In 1859 she was married to Bennet Anderson also of Blue Mound, where they made their home until 1868, when they moved to the town of Arcadia, where she made her home till the time of her death. As the wife of one of the pioneers of this community, she experienced many of the harDships and privations accompanying the building of a home out of a wilderness. She was a member of the Independence Lutheran church from its organization and as a member of the Plum Creek branch of the Ladies Aid she took an active part in all its work. She was an affectionate wife, a kind mother and a staunch friend and was always ready to give a helping hand in case of sickness or other need. She was preceded in death by her husband, three daughters and one son. One daughter and four sons, namely, Mrs. Henry Amundson of Ostrander, Minn., Edward of Spokane, Wash., and Ever, Charley and Gabe of this community beside twenty-two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren are left to mourn her loss. The funeral was held from the Lutheran church at Independence Saturday, June 14, Rev. Orke conducting the services. Ed Larson, Christ Stuve, Sever Amundson, David Davidson, Jim Elstad and Amund Melby acted as pall bearers. Interment was made at Bethel cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER, JUNE 25, 1919

Miss Ellen Anderson, for many years a resident of Neillsville, passed away at 12:30 on Monday, March 25, 1929, aged 57 years, 10 months and 28 days. She had made her home for the past five moths with Mr. and Mrs Nels Swenson and had been in poor health most of the time, being confined to her bed the last four weeks before her death. Ellen Anderson was born in Solar, Norway, April 27, 1871, and came to this country with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Arnt Anderson Kontrud, in 1873. They settled on a farm in Salve Coulee, the farm now occupied by Harry Skorstad. At the age of 16 years, she went to Neillsville to seek employment and has spent nearly all of her life there. She was cook and housekeeper for several private families and for many years was a noted hotel cook, later operating the Neilsville Hotel there for several years. He skill and efficiency in her work and her faithful in al this entrusted in her care won for her the confidence and esteem of all who came in contact with her. She leaves to mourn her death three sisters: Mrs. C.O. Berg of Granton, Wis.; Mrs. Ole Berg of Canada, and Mrs. Marthea Granlund of Blair. Her parents and two brothers, Ole and Halvor, preceded her in death. Funeral services were held at Neilssville, Wednesday at 2 p.m. at the Congregational church, Rev. G.W. Longenecker officiating and interment was made in the Winafall cemetery at Granton. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 4, 1929

Relatives here have received word of the death, May 30, 1957, of Embret Anderson, 76, at Gull Lake, Sask., Canada, following a long illness. Funeral services were held on June 1. Anderson was born at Vaaler parish, Solar, Norway, October 25, 1878. Before coming to this country at the age of 25, he had received military training in his native country and had worked in lumber camps and at log driving on the rivers of Norway. He came to the United States in 1905, and made his home at Eau Claire. He worked in the pine forest winters and in the summers he worked on the railroad, and as a farm laborer. In 1908, with a companion, Anderson went to Canada and homesteaded near Gull Lake. He was unmarried. Survivors included his brother Erick of North Beaver Creek, four sisters, Mrs. Anna Oeseth, Mrs. Oscar Holterkjolen, Mrs. Ingeborg Rongli, and Mrs. Peter Rivenes, all in Norway. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 13, 1957

Erick Anderson, 84, died in a LaCrosse hospital October 31 following a long illness. He was born in Norway, August 18, 1880, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Arnt Kontrud. He came to this country at the age of 23, with his brother, Embert, now deceased. He married Caroline Quarne November 12, 1906, and the couple lived in North Beaver Creek for 55 years, first in Joe Coulee and on the present Anderson farm for the past 13 years. Survivors include his wife; three sons, Ernest, Frederick. Wisconsin; Lloyd, Trempealeau; and Norman, who operates the home farm; a daughter, Mrs. Romens (Orilla) Scott, Milwaukee; 11 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren. Three sisters are living in Norway. A sister, Mrs. Anna Oiseth died in 1959 at her home in Vaaler, Solar, Norway and his brother, Embret, who homesteaded in Canada, died in 1957. Funeral services were held Monday at Faith Lutheran Church, rural Ettrick. The Rev. L. H. Jacobson officiated and burial was in the church cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS- NOVEMBER 5, 1964

On Thursday October 11, 1928, Gabriel Anderson passed away at the home of Mr. and Mrs. August Yahr in the Town of Franklin, Jackson County, aged almost 82 years. He was Born in Fgersund, Norway, December 9, 1847. With his parents he came to America in 1857 and they settled at Coon Prairie, Wisconsin. In 1867 they came to the Beaver Creek Valley, where they settled and where Mr. Anderson has ever since made his home. In 1873, on December 30, he was united in marriage to Johanna Johnson. To this union ten children were born: Iver, who died in infancy; Mrs. Ben Molstad of Ettrick; Albert J. Anderson, Franklin; John of Minot, North Dakota; Edward H. of Blair; Theodore G. who passed away in 1922; Mrs. August Yahr, Franklin,Wisc.; Martin of Sioux Falls, S.D.; Clarence W. of Williston, N.D.; and Mrs. Henry Hanson of St. Paul, Minn. His wife died March 24, 1919. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 18, 1928

Mrs. Griffin Anderson, 51, former Blair resident, died unexpectedly Thursday morning at her home in Milwaukee (December 24, 1964). Funeral services were held Tuesday at 1:30 p.m. at the Wendler Funeral Home there. Burial was in Wisconsin Memorial Park. The former Madli Mork, she was born in Ulvik, Hardanger, Norway to Dr. and Mrs. O. Mork. The family came to Blair in 1909 and Dr. Mork practiced medicine in Blair until his death in 1930, in his early 50’s. Mrs. Mork died a short time afterward. Mrs. Anderson was confirmed in 1918 by the late Rev. S.S. Urberg. She was married to Griffin Anderson of Blair, who died nearly five years ago. She is survived by a daughter, Mrs. Elroy (Gertrude) Meissner, Milwaukee, three grandsons Mark, Robert and Eric Meissner; five sisters, Anna, Milwaukee; Mrs. Stanley (Olga) Thomas and Mrs. Eric (Martha) Schee, LaCrosse; Mrs. B.B. (Hjordis) Bell, Ventura, California; and Mrs. A.H. (Elsie) LuBjarne, Milwaukee. Two brothers, Jon and Kaare, have died. THE BLAIR PRESS - DECEMBER 31, 1964

Halvor Anderson, known widely for fory years as the “plasterer”was born in the parish of Grue, Solor, Norway, March 10, 1846. Grue parish is the place where a little more than a century ago the church building burned with nearly all the people in it who were attending worship, because the door to the building swung inwards. This was one of the greatest tragedies of the kind which has occurred in Norway. In 1870 Anderson emigrated to the U.S. For about three years he worked in Chicago where he learned the trade of plasterer. There he met and married Johanna Bensend, a sister of our well known townsman, Andrew Bensend. In 1873, he came to Blair, where he at once began to work at his trade. But, like most men of that day he felt the need of a permanent home and it was probably in the fall of the same year that he located in Fly Creek on the land which has ever since been his home. Being blessed with a very capable wife, he continued to follow his trade till he was past the age of seventy, leaving the farm and home to be managed by his wife. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, three of whom died in infancy. All the others lived till they attained maturity. Halbert, the oldest, died in 1920, Amanda is the wife of Olaus Mitskogen and lives in Fly Creek, Hanna Urban lives in St. Paul, Minn., Fred lives in Portland; Orelk Tena Hanson lives in Ashland, Wisc., Ella Gabrield died in 1919, Aleck lives on his father’s farm, Edwin lives at Flasville, Mont. The widow, though nearly eighty years, is still quite strong and well troubled considerably with rheumatism. Mrs. Anderson was in fair health until last summer, but only confined to his bed for two weeks immediately preceding his death, which occurred at his home January 2, 1927. Very few old people are missed much except by their nearest relatives. And if they live till they attain the age of eighty years or more they are not even actively remembered except by a few, unless they have gained prominence in public life. But if walls could speak, there are hundreds of homes in Jackson and Trempealeau counties that could tell of the bland, steady, honest Halvor Anderson, who for so many years carried about the implements of his trade from house to house. He was probably not the swiftest nor the most up to date plasterer during the last twenty years that he followed his trade, but those who knew him and employed him always felt that his work would be well done. I, as one who employed in on several occasions, take pleasure in commending his genial, equable disposition as well as his trustworthiness. I recall an incident which eminently illustrates his character. For many years I collected the interest on a mortgage against his home. He always paid promptly. Once when the interest came due he came in and told me that in order to pay the interest he had to give me a twenty dollar gold piece which he had kept for thirty years or more as souvenir because it was the first piece of money he got for his work as a plasterer after he came to this county. How many men, I wonder, would do the like, in order to meet an obligation on time. Yes, I feel as if the old Whitehall cemetery is just a little more sacred ground, because good Halvor, the “plasterer” sleeps there. Written by H.A. Anderson, January 25, 1927 THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 27, 1927

Hans A. Anderson, 84, of Whitehall, who served as county judge for Trempealeau county for ten years, died at his home Monday afternoon, October 9, 1939. Funeral services will be conducted at the home Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock by the Rev. E.B. Christopherson of Pigeon Falls and burial will be in the church cemetery. The body will lie in state in the Rhode Funeral home Thursday from three to five in the afternoon and seven to nine in the evening. Mr. Anderson was born in Norway March 4, 1855 and came to America with his parents in 1867. He settled in Big Slough, near Pigeon Falls where he lived until June 1884 when the family moved to Whitehall and where Mr. Anderson entered the law office of O. J. Allen, Whitehall’s first attorney. He entered the University of Wisconsin in 1887 and was graduated the following June, completing the two year course in nine months. He opened a law office at Whitehall. He was elected district attorney in 1889 and served in 1889 and 1890 and was elected assemblyman in 1921 and served a two-year term. He served as county judge for ten years. He retired from active law practice two years ago. In 1931, he donated to Whitehall the House of Memories, a sub-station museum, which contains his personal antique and historical collections. The building has been deeded to Trempealeau County. Mr. Anderson was married December 11, 1877 to Oline Fristad, who died a year ago and his youngest daughter, Rose, also preceded him recently. He was also preceded in death by a daughter, Mrs. Hazel MacMurray, in whose memory the House of Memories was built. He is survived by four daughters, Mrs. Herman L. Ekern of Madison, Mrs. Gerald Anderson of Sheboygan and Mrs. William C. Mason and Mrs. Scott B. Nichols of Whitehall and two sons George of Haugen and William of Rockford, Ill. He is survived by a sister, Mrs. Tom Iveland of Brill and a brother, Andrew Gunderson of the Black Hills. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 12, 1939

The earthly presence of one who had led a long and useful life was removed Saturday, April 1, when Mrs. H.A. Anderson passed away Tuesday, March 28, was laid to rest. The last rites were held at the Anderson home, the Rev. A.M. Ivey officiating. Following prayer, Mrs. C.B. Melby sang “Still, Still With Thee” and “One Sweetly Solemn Thought”. Miss Alice Speerstra was her accompanist. Flowers, which were Grandma’s greatest joy next to life itself and those closest to her, were carried by granddaugthers, Mrs. Jack Maxfield, Jane Anderson, Margaret, Betty, Marwood and Edith Nichols. Pall bearers were her sons George and William Anderson and William Fisher, Gerald Anderson, William Mason and Scott B. Nichols. Burial was in the family lot in Lincoln cemetery. The passing of Mrs. Anderson adds another to the list of departed pioneers who experienced the hardships and enjoyed the pleasures of the common folk of Norway, later coming to America to face the difficulties in a new and strange land. Hardship, privation, sickness and sorrow were not escaped but through faith, perseverance, industry and frugality, she finally achieved and enjoyed all the comforts that a happy home and a loving family can give. Although her life was confined to her home and a circle of relatives and friends, her experiences were wide and varied. Oline Fristad was born in Sondfjord, Norway, October 18, 1854, a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Benedick Fristad. Her parents owned a farm in Norway and were considered people of moderate means. Mr. and Mrs. Fristad, however, realized that their children would have little opportunity in their native land, so they decided to sell their property and emigrate to America. The family embarked on a steamship and spent several weeks on the voyage. They arrived in Big Slough, Jackson county, in July 1873, and some time later, Mr. Fristad acquired the farm which is now owned by Jens Tolokken, which remained the family home for many years. On December 11, 1877, Miss Fristad was united in marriage to Hans A. Anderson and a home was established in that community, where they resided until 1884, when they came to Whitehall. At that time Mr. Anderson, also a Norwegian immigrant, who had acquired sufficient learning, mostly through studying by himself, to be able to teach country school, further prepared himself for a profession by attending the State University and graduating from the Law School. The family, which then consisted of five children, would have made it impossible for Mr. Anderson to accomplish this if it had not been for the faithful assistance of his wife, who through her efforts helped to provide necessities for the children. Starting with very few earthly possessions, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson gradually added to their wealth, later acquiring a residence in this village to provide a home for their steadily growing family. Eight children were born to them. Two sons died in infancy and a daughter, Mrs. Hazel MacMurray, passed on in 1924. Their daughter Rose preceded her mother in death by a month, on February 24 of this year. Surviving children are Mr. H.O. Ekern of Madison; George of Long Lake, Washburn county; William of Rockford, Ill; Mrs. Scott B. Nichols and Mrs. Gerald Anderson of Sheboygan. There are nine great-grandchildren. With the exception of six years which the family spent on a farm near New Auburn, Chippewa county, Whitehall has been the home of the Anderson family for 55 years. As Mr. Anderson continued to be successful in his law practice and as the family grew to maturity, Mr. and Mrs. Anderson enjoyed travel quite extensively, including a trip to the World’s Fair in St. Louis in 1904, a visit to their native land of Norway in 1909, accompanied by their daughter Rose, and several trips visiting relatives and enjoying the sights in our western states. Her life is best expressed in a poem by H.N. Fifer read at the funeral services by the Rev. A.M. Ivey: She Lived A Life What was her creed? I do not know her creed, I only know That here below, she walked the common road And lifted many a load, lightened the task, Brightened the day for others toiling on a weary way; This, her only need; I do not know her creed. What was her creed? I never heard her speak Of visions rapturous, of Alpine peak Of doctrine, dogma, new or old, But this I know, she was forever bold To stand alone, to face the challenge of each day And live the truth, so far as she could see Te truth that evermore makes free, Her creed? I care not what her creed, Enough that never yielded she to greed. But served others in their daily need; Plucked many a thorn and planted many a flower, Glorified the service of each our, Had faith in God, herself and fell-men; Perchance she never thought in terms of creed; I only know she lived a life, indeed! THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 6, 1939

Died in Lincoln, Trempealeau county, Wisconsin, April 15th, 1890, of consumption, Hattie, wife of Andy Anderson, aged 4 4years and 16 days. The subject of this sketch was born in Torpen, Norway, March 30th, 1846; emigrated with her parents to America in 1865, coming to Dane county, this state, where they resided for three years, when they removed to this county, where she has since resided. December 27, 1872, she was married to Andy Anderson, settling on their pleasant farm in this town, where she since lived. She was a great sufferer, having been in poor health for years. The last two years of her life she was confined to her bed, her husband watching over her with the faithfulness of a mother attending to her every want. She was reconciled to her lot and expressed a willingness to die and be at rest. She leaves a husband, three brothers, P.G., Ed and Kit Hanson, and two sisters, Mrs. Christian Everson and Miss Julia Hanson, besides numerous friends and neighbors to mourn her death. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - APRIL 24, 1890

After a long period of intense bodily pain, Hans Anderson of Beach fell asleep in death early in the morning of Thursday, March 18, 1948 at the home of his son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. John P. Johnson. The Hans Anderson family settled in North Beaver Creek several decades ago and they have since resided there, Hans was the son of Andreas and Elisa Anderson. He was born July 9, 1868 at Lindal in Vardal, Norway. He was baptized and confirmed in the Vardal church. In 1889 he came to America. He lived at Cambridge, Wisconsin for some time and then moved to Trempealeau County where he spent the greater part of his life. October 11, 1892 was the marriage day of Hans and Bertha Alfsen. Eight children were born to them - God calling three of them in early life, Carl at 19 years, Alvin at 19 years and Olga at 17 years. Mrs. Anderson died in 1937. The following children survive: Emelia, Mrs. Emil Torkelson; Gena, Mrs. John P. Johnson; Annie, Mrs. Alfred Henderson; Tillie, Mrs. Ed Erickson; Mabel, Mrs. Joel Henderson. One sister, Mrs. Anton Anderson, 17 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren also survive. Funeral services were held from the John P. Johnson home and at the North Beaver Creek First Lutheran church on Saturday afternoon, March 20, with his pastor, the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Interment was in the church cemetery under the pines. A good man has passed on to his reward. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 25, 1948 Researching this family Cindi Anderson

Funeral services were held Tuesday for Mrs. Hans Anderson, 72, who died at home in North Beaver Creek Saturday morning, October 23, 1937. As Bertha Alfson, she was born in Norway, August 22 1865, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Alfson. She came to America at the age of 25. In 1892 she was married to Hans Anderson, the couple settling in the town of Ettrick about 30 years ago. She is survived by her husband; two sisters and a brother, Mrs. Ingeborg Johnson, Mrs. Marie Anderson and Andrew Alfson, all of Cambridge, Dane County, Wisconsin; five daughters, Mrs. Emil Torkelson of Disco; Mrs. Alfred Henderson of Augusta; Mrs. Edward Erickson of Centerville; Mrs. John P. Johnson and Mrs. Joel Henderson of Ettrick; 14 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. A brother, Christ. Alfson of the state of Washing and two sons and two daughters preceded her in death. Services were held at 12:30 at the home and at 1 p.m. at the North Beaver Creek Lutheran church, the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial was in the cemetery beside the church. THE BLAIR PRESS - OCTOBER 28, 1937

Mrs. Hogan Anderson was born in Vaaler, Solar, Norway, the 12th of August, 1851. She emigrated to America in 1868 with her parents, who preceded her in death. The 14th day of June, 1874 she was married to Hogan Anderson of Black River Falls and later settled on their farm in Lakes Coulee and here they spent their lives. Mr. Anderson died in 1897 and Mrs. Anderson continued the operation of the farm with the help of the children. In 1914 her son Albert took over the management of the place and with him and his family, she made her home until her death. Their union produced seven children: Her husband and four children preceded her in death. Three children survive her, namely, Anna, Mrs. Bernt Nyen; Albert Anderson of Lakes Coulee and Marie, Mrs. Alfred Johnson of Minneapolis and four grandchildren. The deceased was a life long member of the Norwegian Lutheran church, a good wife and mother and will be sadly missed by her devoted family and friends. Her death occurred Saturday April 16, 1927. Funeral services were held Wednesday, April 20 at the Fagernes Church, Rev. Bestul officiating. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 28, 1927

John Anderson, resident of Eau Claire for the last 24 years, died suddenly at his home in that city at 2:30 last Saturday afternoon of heart failure. The news came as a shock to his business associates and friends, he having been at his office as usual in the forenoon. He had been what he and his family regarded as slightly ill for about a week. Mr. Anderson would have been 61 years of age had he lived until September 12, 1918. He was born in Vardal, Norway, and came to this country when he was a boy twelve years of age, coming to Arcadia. Later he moved to the town of Chimney Rock. He was married on March 17, 1881, to Olia Hestiken, who survives him. Eleven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, of whom five are living, two sons and three daughters. The eldest son, Albert, lives in Iowa, Julius is a resident of Minneapolis, Amanda lives in Green Bay, Stella residents in Minneapolis, and the youngest daughter, Julia, lives at home. Mr. Anderson had been engaged in the real estate business for 34 years. The funeral was held Tuesday at Eau Claire, interment at Lakeview cemetery. THE WHITEHALL TIMES-BANNER - AUGUSUT 8, 1918

Funeral services for Mrs. John G. Anderson, 84, who passed away Thursday, March 27, were held in the Zion Lutheran church on Monday, March 31, with the Rev. Luther S. Borgen officiating. Mrs. Angus Sather, accompanied by Mrs. Dale Davis, sang. Mrs. Anderson, need Caroline Jacobson, was born in Sweden in the year 1863. At the age of two years she came to America with her parents who settled near Blair. On October 15, 1895 she was united in marriage to John G. Anderson, and after living near Blair on the present Ebert Knutson farm for some years, they moved to Curran Valley where they have lived for the past 28 years. There are no immediate relatives. Her husband, John G. Anderson preceded her in death last April 19. Interment was in Zion Lutheran cemetery. THE BLAIR PRESS - APRIL 10, 1947

Mrs. Lewie Anderson died at the home of her son, Albert, Wednesday noon of coma diabetes. She was born in 1857 in Norway, and came to America in 1888, and settled at Kansas City. In 1890, she was married to Lewie Anderson, who preceded her in death nine years ago. The following children mourn the loss of a kind and loving mother: Albert, Ole, Nora and Mrs. Henry Johnson. She is also survived by one sister and brother, Mrs. Johnson and Ole of Eau Claire. The funeral took place Saturday July 3, at Rev. Kjemboe’s church at Strum. The large funeral procession and beautiful display of flowers gave ample evidence of the esteem of the deceased, as well as of sympathy with the bereft. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JULY 8, 1926

Funeral services for Mrs. Maren Anderson, former resident of Blair, were held at the First Lutheran church, Tuesday afternoon, June 10, with the Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating. Burial was in the Rest Haven cemetery. Mrs. Anderson was born February 8, 1863 in Enebak, Norway to parents Martin Larson Bakk and Inger Simonson. She was baptized and confirmed in the Enebak church and came to America with her parents in 1881 and settled in Lakes Coulee. She was united in marriage to Lars Anderson Salseng in June 1884 by Rev. Lunde and they lived in Newcomb Valley until 1914 when they moved to Blair and resided here until Mrs. Anderson’s death in 1930. Mrs. Anderson has lived with her daughter in LaCrosse since 1936 and passed away there Friday June 6, 1952. She is survived by three sons, John of Minneapolis; Edwin of Blair; Gilbert of Arcadia and two daughters, Lucy (Mrs. J. Gavlick) of Arcadia and Anna (Mrs. G. Dahm) of LaCrosse. THE BLAIR PRESS - JUNE 19, 1952

The mother of Trempealeau Valley congregation has departed from this world and her soul has gone to meet her God Whom she loved so dear. The passing of Mrs. Maren Anderson is the culmination of the building process of the pioneers in these valleys and the full establishment of the church of God among the people here. The history of the development of the Trempealeau Valley is wrapped up, to a great degree in the life of this venerable lady. Her birth took place in Grue, Solar, Norway February 6, 1843. She was a child of Tosten Forkerud and his wife. At the age of nine years she set out, with her family for the vast western expanses. The family went to the colony in Pennsylvania which was established by the world renowned violinist, Ole Bull. Their stay in that colony, however, was not of long duration. The Viking spirit of conquering the west was strong so they set out for the west and when they finally unloaded their wagons they found themselves in Trempealeau Valley, which then was very sparsely settled. In 1858 she was confirmed in the Trempealeau Valley Lutheran congregation by the Sainted Rev. H.A. Stub, the first president of the Norwegian Lutheran Church in America. This took place 72 years ago. When the congregation celebrated its 70th anniversary two years ago, she was present to be living testimony of the work done in the church there. At a early age she was united in marriage to Gunnar Anderson; and they settled on the farm which is now known as Pioneer Farm just east of the Trempealeau Valley church. Their life together was full of the hardships which were known only to the builders of this beautiful fertile valley. But by perseverance they were able, slowly, to conquer their part of this mighty North-west. When her husband died, her sons remembered their kind mother and took up the burden where their father left off. They cared for her and developed their home until today it is recognized by all as being a model of progressive builders of the west. Her daughter, Emma, took upon herself the care of her who had reared her in such a fine Christian home. When the infant congregation was striving to establish itself in the valley, Mrs. Anderson was willing to share her home with the first resident pastor and his family, Rev. Ole Waldeland. Her interest always lay in the building of the Kingdom of God here on earth. She persevered and she lived to see the mission work develop into a congregation which became the mother congregation of most of the congregations for miles around. Thru the many storms within the congregation she remained steadfast by the Truth, and was rewarded by a sure and full conviction of the free Gift of Salvation in Jesus Christ. In her declining years she was not able to carry on in her endeavors as in her youth, but the interest was always of the keenest. Her children cared for her as tenderly as only loving children can care for their dear ones. She gradually became weaker until last fall she was forced to her bed. She suffered much from her sickness, but was patient sand let her prayer be, “Thy will be done, not mine.” She was called Home Monday, July 21, after having attained the ripe age of 87 years. Mrs. Anderson was the mother of nine children of whom five survive her. Those who preceded her in death are: Ida, Nettie, Thomas and Minnie. The following children survive her: Emma, at home, Alida, Mrs. Thompson, Milwaukee; Enoch, at home, Albert, at home; and Newel, at home. One sister, Mrs. Maria Gilbert of Blair also survives her. Besides these she leaves six grandchildren, 13 great-grandchildren and one great-great-grandchild. Funeral services were conducted from the home and from the Trempealeau Valley church on Friday, July 25, with the Rev. Urberg officiating. The laying to rest of Mrs. Anderson brought a feeling of the greatest devotion in the hearts of all. She was a Christian woman. With great thankfulness in their hearts to God for giving them their wonderful mother who reared them in the True Faith, the children placed memorial wreath on her coffin in the form of a gift of $100 to be used in the building and establishing the Lutheran Church among those of their Norwegian-American brothers who do not have the word of God in their midst. Maren Anderson Lunden represents the grest sacrifice and perseverance in establishing the church the home and the community in our midst. Seventy-two years are past and have been cared for by her and her fellow pioneers. It is for us, who have strength and future, to follow her example to sacrifice and build in the future with that same faith in God, that our posterity might be blessed even as her posterity has been blessed. Blessed be the memory of Maren Anderson Lunden. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 31, 1930

The funeral of Ole Anderson was held at the United Church Saturday afternoon and was largely attended. Rev. Boe officiated. Ole Anderson Konterud was born in Vaaler, Solar, Norway, April 19, 1862. In 1873 he came to America with his parents and settled in Salva Coulee, where he resided until death. He leaves to mourn his death a wife and thirteen children: Alfred Edwin, Mrs. John G. Thompson, Ida, Theoline, Mathilda, Goodwin, Omer, Eilbert, Kasper, Oridia, Theodore and Gladys. Two children died in infancy. He was married in 1883 to Andres Olson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lars Olson. THE BLAIR PRESS - FEBRUARY 10, 1916

Funeral services for Ole J. Anderson, who passed away at his home in the East Branch of Hale on Monday, October 25, were held at the U.L. church in Pigeon Falls Thursday, the Rev. H.A. Oerke officiating, assisted by the Rev. A.J. Oerke. Pallbearers were Bennie Lewis, Eddie Goplin, Kjalmer Sedal, Rudolph Holmen, Emil Iverson and Fred Hoff. Burial was in the church cemetery. Mr. Anderson was born in Biri, Norway, October 9, 1863. At the age of 18, in 1881, he immigrated to America, coming to the farm home of O.P. Feiring in the town of Hale. Like most newcomers he spent the first winters in the pineries and during the summer months he engaged in farm work. After three years in this country, when Mr. Feiring moved to North Dakota, Anderson rented the farm and some year later he became the owner of it. On December 27, 1890, Mr. Anderson and Miss Anna Hanevold of Fuller coulee were married. After 46 years she passed away on December 31, 1935, preceding her husband by less than 10 months. About two years ago Anderson’s health began to fail. As weeks passed, the disease gradually got the best of his rugged strength and the end came on October 25, 1937. Besides numerous other relatives, two children survive, Adolph and Mrs. Martin Larson, and two grandchildren, Alice and Marvin Larson. There are also two sisters and two brothers, Mrs. Karine Olson of Tonasket, Wash., Ingvald, of Hannaford, N.D., Mrs. Ingeborg Stering of East Stanwood, Washington, and Peter at Conrad, Montana. An uncle, Andrew Davidson, makes his home with Mr. Klingenberg in Beaver Creek. THE WHITEHALL TIMES, NOVEMBER 4, 1937

The death of Mrs. Oline Christianson Anderson removed another pioneer from this community. Mrs. Anderson died May 20, following a stroke which she had on Monday. Mrs. Anderson was born August 27, 1853, in Elverum, Solor, Norway. Her parents were Andreas Christianson and Olea Halvorson. She was baptized and confirmed in Norway and went to common school there. She came to America at the age of 20 years to Welch Coulee. Her first husband was Peter Fagerness, deceased. Her second husband was Erick Anderson, who died 35 years ago. The following children are left to mourn her death: Olaf of Blair; Peter of Taylor; Almer of Milwaukee; Emil of Montana and one daughter, Karen, Mrs. Torger Brekkey, who preceded her death 32 years ago. One child died in infancy. She has seven grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. She also had four sisters and one brother who have all preceded her in death many years ago. They were Kristiana Evenson, Oleana Haugen, Andrea Kristianson, Karoline Kristianson and Halvor of Sweden. Funeral services were held Saturday at the First Lutheran church in Blair and she was laid to rest in the Lutheran cemetery at Blair. Mrs. Anderson was kind and loving mother and grandmother, and is sadly missed by all who knew her. The pallbearers were Parker Renning, Pete Engen, Ben Knudtson, Ole Brekke, Albert Arneson and Tom Gunderson. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JUNE 4, 1931

A Citizen who Aimed and Worked for the Better Things in Life. “I was born in Vestre Toten, November, January 7, 1847. Here is one of Norway’s richest and most historic provinces I passed my childhoods, youths and first of manhoods years. If love of native country, admiration for ancestral prowess, beauty and grandeur of scenery, could have guaranteed me a larger return to constant toil, I would never have left the country of my birth. But thousands of voices came over the sea, calling, calling, ‘America has room for millions where men with sense and energy can rise to wealth and honors far beyond the lot of the average man in your native land.’ I was persuaded by these voices and came to U.S. in 1869. I haven’t accomplished enough to give me either riches or distinction, but I am not sorry that I came. I have been where the world’s greatest social and industrial drama is unfolding year by year. I have seen hundreds of men rise from poverty and ignorance into a prominence that has shed a glorious luster on my race because of the opportunities that this country afforded them. I have never met a Norwegian, unless he was out-lawed by his country for his evil deed, who has expressed scorn or contempt for his native country. All pioneer Norwegians carry to their graves a twofold love for country. One for the land of their birth and the other for the land of their adoption. This love may be compared to love a true man has for his mother and wife. Both proper, legitimate and praiseworthy. And now that the day of the pioneers is about to close and I am waiting for the last call, I rejoice in the knowledge that the great emigration from Norway to U.S. in the sixties, seventies and early eighties have been a blessing to both countries.” Thus would my friend have spoken in his last conscious moments had he been prompted to express himself on the subject of coming to this country. He came directly to Jackson county and being a single man, he stayed with friends here and there during his days of rest. But most of his time, for several years, was spent in the woods and on the rivers during the spring, and on farms in the summer time. On April 8, 1874 he married Miss Caroline Johnson, with whom he had ten children. Four only of those survive him. They are Carl E. Anderson of Larkin Valley; Olga Gilbert of Blair; Ebert M. Anderson of Winona, Minnesota; and Lydia Anderson of Livingston, Montana. All his other children died in infancy or youth. Most of his life in this country was spent on the farm in Larkin Valley. About fourteen years ago, feeling the infirmities of age, he moved to Blair, where he had for a time the companionship of his daughters but in later years his daughter, Mrs. Gilbert has had the greater responsibility of ministering to his wants. His last sickness dates from July 2, 1927. His funeral was conducted by Rev. Sweger in Zion church, Blair, Wisconsin, November 5, 1927. The last twenty-seven years of his life was a beautiful tribute to the memory of his departed wife. Though of agreeable presence, and in circumstances to have chosen a companion for his declining yeas, he preferred to live in the reflection of the happiness that had been his during the twenty-six years of his journey with his first choice, and the hope of a blessed reunion in the hereafter. The deceased was universally liked and esteemed for his active, cheerful disposition as well as for his sterling worth as a dependable friend and neighbor. He always took a lively interest in public affairs, was an enthusiastic supporter of LaFollette and all measures for equalizing public burdens in accordance with the standards of justice. Thought not one of the earliest settlers in our community, he belonged to the vanguard of those who had the foundation for our present culture and prosperity. No one is missed very long in this world of constant change, for there is always someone to take the place of the departed, but that does not mean that the influence of him who is gone ceases to work for good or ill. Some leave shadows that linger to depress those that come after them; others, bright inspiring rays of hope that go on from soul to soul to live forever and forever. With the firm conviction that Mr. Anderson was one of those who aimed and worked for the better things in life, we shall treasure his memory among the memories of our best citizens and pioneers. Written by H.A. Anderson THE WHITEHALL TIMES - NOVEMBER 17, 1927

Samuel Anderson, a resident of this county for more than thirty years, and a highly respected citizen passed away at hIs home in the town of Albion on Friday, July 15, 1921, at the age of 75 years, three months and 11 days after a long illness of cancer of the stomach. The funeral services were held on Monday afternoon, and were attended by a large concourse of friends. Rev. LS. Marvick and Rev. Urberg officiated. Mr. Anderson was born in Norway on April 5, 1846. He came to America with his parents, Amen and Gertie Halvorson, in 1858, first locating in Dodge county. In 1869 he moved to Pierce county, where he lived until 1896, when he moved to the town of Albion in this county. He was twice married. His first wife died in Pierce county in 1884, leaving five surviving children - Mrs. H.P. Rued, of Thief River Falls, Minn.; William H. Anderson of Black River Falls; G.M. Anderson of Spring Valley; and Mrs. Hagen of Minot, North Dakota. On September 10, 1886, he was married in this city to Miss Bertha Chrisinger, who now survives him with six children - Miss Ella Anderson of this city, Mrs. Effie Clipper of Taylor, Mrs. Alma Sigerson of Spring Valley, and Albert, Oscar and Elvina, at home. He also leaves 7 grandchildren and one great-grandchild. Mr. Anderson has been a member of the Lutheran church since his boyhood and for many years was affiliated with the Lutheran church at Squaw Creek. He was an honest, upright man, one who endeavored to met the responsibilities of life in a courageous manner. He was a devoted husband and father and gave the best of his efforts to the welfare of his family. He was also a good friend and neighbor, ready at all times to extend a favor or lend a helping hand. He leaves a large circle of friends who extend their sympathy to his bereaved family (First printed by THE BLACK RIVER FALLS JOURNAL) THE TAYLOR HERALD, JULY 22, 1921

Rikka Anderson was born in Stange, Hedemarken, Norway, February 25, 1855. Her parents were Ole and Helene Olson Rohne. She came to America in 1871 with her parents. The first summer they lived in LaCrosse. In the fall of 1871, they came to Trempealeau county, where her father took up a homestead. Two years later she was united in marriage to Svend Anderson, and from then until her husband’s death in 1908, resided on a farm in Bruce Valley. In that year she moved to Eau Claire. In 1912, she moved back to the farm again, where she resided until her death. On June 25th she was taken seriously ill, many complications setting in from which she never recovered. During her illness she never complained but bore it all patiently. Her interest in church work was shown by her willingness to take part in any church function. She died on Saturday, September 23rd. The funeral was held from the Bruce Valley church Tuesday, September 26th, Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiating in the Norwegian and English languages. The choir sang “Rock of Ages” and “Nearer To Thee.” The pallbearers were her sons, Albert, Olius, Sever and Bennie and sons-in-law, Ben Winge, and John Peterson. The flower bearers were her granddaughters, Marjorie and Gladys Anderson, Marie Fischer and Lucile Peterson. Interment was made in the west Beef River cemetery, Strum. She is survived by eight children, all of whom were present at the funeral, Albert, Olius, Bennie, Mrs. John Peterson and Mrs. August Fischer of Strum, Mrs. John Sveen of Elk Mound; Mrs. Ben Winge of Minneapolis and Sever of Eau Claire. Besides her children, she leaves to mourn her loss fifty-three grandchildren, fourteen great-grandchildren, two brothers, Ben Olson of Cloquet, Minnesota, Ole Rone of Eau Claire and one sister, Mrs. Adolph Severson of Holmen. Her husband preceded her in death February 2, 1906, also one daughter, Minnie, Mrs. Elmer Boden, on August 2, 1924, a son Gilbert, on December 21, 1927, and four younger children who died in infancy. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - October 12, 1933

Funeral services for Mrs. Syverine Anderson, who died at a clinic in Black River Falls Monday, will be held Thursday at 2:00 p.m. at the Taylor Lutheran church with the Rev. B.J. Hatlem officiating. A preliminary service will be held at the Jensen funeral home in Hixton at 1:00 p.m. with the Rev. E.B. Christopherson in charge. Burial will be in Woodlawn cemetery. She is survived by six daughters, Mrs. Olaf (Louise) Fagerland, Eleva, Wisconsin; Mrs. Kendrick (Lena) Paine, Cascade Locks, Oregon; Mrs. Weyland (Florence) Lind, Pueblo, Colorado; Mrs. Lewison; Mrs. Charles (Amanda) Nordahl and Mrs. Ernest (Alma) Nordahl, all of Hixton; four sons, Helmer, Galesville; Martin, Blair; Chris and Will, both of Taylor. Mrs. Anderson was born in Vardal Norway. She came to this country as a girl, settling in Wisconsin. Her husband died several years ago. THE BLAIR PRESS - MARCH 3, 1949
Researching this family Cindi Anderson

Tom Anderson was born in Hoff, Solar, Norway, March 3, 1848, and came to America when 19 years of age. After working here a few years, he settled on the farm in Tappen Coulee where he died and which is now occupied by his sons Elmer and Tony, and where he has made his home since the death of his wife about 20 years ago. For about 30 years he worked in the woods each winter and farmed during the summer. His death was due to injuries received from the attack of a bull which had been tied in the yard. He was alone on the farm at the time and when the boys came home they found him in the yard seriously injured and the bull quietly grazing some distance away. The animal is not vicious so it is not known just what caused the attack, but it is presumed that he turned the animal loose. His death occurred Friday, July 19, and the funeral was held Saturday at the U.N. Lutheran church in charge of Rev. Urberg. The following children are left to mourn his death: Alfred and Oscar of Winger, Minn., Mrs. Harry A. Thompson and Miss Edna Anderson of Chisholm, Minn., Elmer, Tony and John of Blair. There also survive two brothers, B.A. Austad of Blair, Arnt Austad of Ten Strike, Minn., and one sister, Mrs. Torwald Toraason of Blair. All were present at the funeral except Alfred Anderson and the brother Arnt. THE BLAIR PRESS - JULY 25, 1918
Researching this family Cindi Anderson

Funeral services for Edward H. Anderson who passed away at a LaCrosse hospital Wednesday afternoon, May 2nd, 1951 were held at the First Lutheran church Saturday with the Rev. K.M. Urberg assisting and by the Rev. Sigurd Urberg officiating. Burial was in the Upper Beaver Creek cemetery which is located on a part of the old home farm and was donated to the church by his father Pall bearers were Roy Molstad, George Molstad, Julian Larkin, Helmer Strand, Russell Twesme and Harold Vinger, all nephews of the diseased. Edward H. Anderson, son of Gabriel and Johanna Anderson was born in the town of Franklin, Jackson county on April 4, 1883. He was united in marriage to Janette Otterson on March 24, 1901 and the couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary only a few weeks ago. The young couple spent the first years of their married life at Cottonwood, Minnesota, where Mr. Anderson was employed in an elevator and on a farm. Returning to Wisconsin, they settled on a farm in the Franklin area and built up one of the finest farms in the community. In 1922 they sold the farm and moved to Blair where they were engaged in restaurant business until they retired in 1945. Mr. Anderson is survived by his wife and three children, Mrs. Leo (Edna) Martin of Melrose; Griffin, Milwaukee, and Mrs. Sander (Irene) Lynghammer of Beach; three brothers, Martin, Rockford, Illinois; John, St. Paul, and Clarence, Waukesha; two sisters, Mrs. August Yahr, Franklin and Mrs. Henry Hanson, St. Paul; five grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Two daughters, two brothers and one sister preceded him in death. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAPBOOK - researching this family Cindi Anderson

Funeral services for Griffen O. Anderson, 56,former Blair resident, were held Thursday in Milwaukee. Mr. Anderson was buried in Wisconsin Memorial Park Cemetery there. He died February 7, 1959 in a Milwaukee hospital. Mr. Anderson was born March 7, 1903, in the Town of Franklin in Jackson County, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Anderson. He married in 1925, and the couple lived in Blair for several years before they moved to Milwaukee. Surviving are his wife, the former Madli Mork; a daughter, Mrs. Roy (Gertrude) Meissner of Milwaukee; his mother, Mrs. Ed Anderson of Blair; his grandmother, Mrs. Mary Otterson of Blair; two sisters, Mrs. Leo Martin of Melrose and Mrs. Sander Lynghamer of Ettrick Township; and three grandchildren (Mark, Robert and Eric Meissner). He was preceded in death by his father and two sisters. Services were conducted at the Wendler Funeral Home of Milwaukee, the Rev. Mr. Ross officiating. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

Mrs. Minnie B. Anderson, 82 of Melrose, died Wednesday, March 6, 1968 at the Jackson County Home in Black River Falls. Services were at 2 p.m. Saturday in the North Beaver Creek Lutheran Church. Rev. K.M. Urberg officiating, and burial was in the church cemetery. She was born to Mr. and Mrs. Neri Johnson May 24th, 1909. They farmed in the area. He preceded her in death, as did one sister and five brothers. Surviving are three daughters, Mrs. Julian Larkin of Black River Falls, Mrs. Kenneth Heuer of Sparta and Mrs. Harold Vinger of Melrose; four grandchildren and two great-grandchildren; and one brother, Herbert of Portland, Oregon. SOURCE - FAMILY SCRAP BOOK

Mrs. Bertha Anderson, age 75, who came to Barron County from Norway when she was a girl of fourteen, passed away Saturday, February 23 at the Cumberland hospital. She had been in failing health for several years and had been in the hospital since early January. Funeral services were held yesterday at 2:00 o’clock at the Barronett Lutheran Church where she had long been a devoted member. Rev. Homer Johnson of Wannamingo, Minnesota, a former pastor of the church, came to conduct the funeral rites, and Mrs. Johnson, who accompanied him, sang several appropriate selections. Burial took place in the Timberland Cemetery beside her husband. Pallbearers were the five sons of her late brother, Matt Arnes: Harry, Melvin, Barney, Disney and Laurence Ares, and Clifford Peterson of Barron. Bertha Anderson was born in Norway on March 4, 1869, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hans N. Arnes. The family came to America in 1883 and made their home in Barron County at Jewett’s Mill near Clear Lake. They later came to Cumberland, where they lived about a year, while Mr. Arnes worked in the sawmill. They staked out a homestead in Timberland and it was there that Bertha was married to Edward Anderson in 1891. The young couple lived on a farm in Timberland until 1909 when they moved to Barronett. Their only child was a son, Henry, who lives at Barronett, and is her only survivor. Mr. Anderson died in 1934. One sister, Serena, and two brothers, Matt and Stener, also preceded her in death. CUMBERLAND ADVOCATE, THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 28, 1946 - CUMBERLAND, BARRON COUNTY, WISCONSIN
Researching this family - Patricia

Edward Anderson, one of the pioneers of this section of the state, died very suddenly in Barronett Saturday morning. He was about the house as usual and went down town and dropped in to the carpenter shop where, without a moment’s warning, he passed away. Funeral services were held at the Norwegian Church in Barronett Tuesday afternoon and interment was in the Timberland Cemetery. The large concourse of friends attending testified to the esteem in which he was held by his old friends and neighbors. Mr. Anderson was born in Buskerud, Norway on February 10, 1855. Prior to emigrating to America, he had also lived in Sande, Vestfold. He came to Cumberland in his early twenties and was one of those sturdy pioneers who hewed a home out of the wilderness. After working in the lumber industry for a time, he developed a fine farm in Timberland which had been his home for nearly 30 years, leaving it for an easier life in Barronett several years ago. Mr. Anderson was united in marriage with Bertha Arnes March 28, 1891. One son, Henry, was born to them, who with the widow survives. Those from away who came to attend the funeral were Harry Arnes, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Loomis and Mrs. Martha Gunderson of Duluth, Anton Anerson and children of Aitkin, Minnesota; Mr. and Mrs. S.P. Arnes of Minneapolis; Mr. and Mrs. George Peterson and Miss Amanda Swanson of Grantsburg. CUMBERLAND ADVOCATE - THURSDAY, MAY 17, 1934 (CUMBERLAND, BARRON COUNTY, WISCONSIN)
Researching this family - Patricia

Andrew C. Anderson, pioneer of this community, was born in Tvedestrand, Norway, in the year 1872. At the age of nine years, he came to America with his parents and settled at Taylor. He passed away at the Methodist Hospital in Madison, December 31, 1952. During his younger life, Andrew was in the furniture and undertaking business. He was postmaster at Taylor for several years. In 1918 he bought the Olson & Anderson Lumber Co. from his uncle, Ole A. Anderson, which he managed until 1940. He was united in marriage to Grace Austin in 1918 and to this union seven children were born. Preceding him in death were his wife, Grace, who passed away in 1940 and three sons, Emery, Harold and Lawrence and a granddaughter, Anna Claire. Surviving are the following children: Norman of Taylor; Genevieve, Mrs. Earl Forehand and Alice Elaine, Mrs. Harold Wenk, both of Rock Falls, Illinois and Ralph of Washington, D.C. There are several grandchildren and a number of nieces, nephews and cousins and one sister, Mrs. Hannah Moe, of Madison. Funeral services were held for him in the Taylor Lutheran church conducted by Rev. B. J. Hatlem on Saturday, January 3 at 2 p.m. He was a member of the congregation for many years and before his death his request was to be brought home to Taylor where he lived so many years before going to Rock Falls, Illinois in 1946 to live with his two daughters. Mrs. Hatlem sang "Nearer My God to Thee" and a Norwegian son "Taenk naar engang den taage" with Mrs. Vic Larson as accompanist. Pallbearers were Tom Rygh, Russell Larson, Alfred Kelly, A.S. Waller, Rasmus Midtlyng and Fred Woodhull. Burial was at Woodlawn cemetery where his wife was laid to rest. BLACK RIVER FALLS BANNER JOURNAL - JANUARY 7, 1953

This reliable and progressive farmer, residing on section 8, Springfield Township, enjoys the distinction of being the first white man to settle in this territory. He was born in Norway, September 30, 1820. His parents, Aadne and Helga (Gunderson) Anderson were both natives of Norway. They emigrated to America in the year 1843 and settled in Racine County, Wisconsin, where the father died. In 1854 the mother and children removed to Jackson County, Wisconsin, and settled in the place that is now known as Springfield Township; there the mother passed the remainder of her days. There were seven children in the family: Knud, Gunder, Ole, Gertrude, Knud, Margaret and Sarah. Gunder was the second child born; he was reared and educated in the place of his birth, but in 1843, when his parents set sail for America, he accompanied them, and lived in Racine County, Wisconsin until 1850. Then in company with other men he crossed the plains to California, walking the entire distance. This, in itself, was no small feat, and was worthy of a better reward than they received in the "Golden State." Mr. Anderson was engaged in mining for a period of two years but not realizing all he anticipated he determined to return to Wisconsin. Accordingly, in 1854 we find him located in Jackson County, where he and his brother entered a large tract of land under the government land laws existing at that time. It was situated in what is now Springfield Township and is as fine land as can be found in the county. Mr. Anderson has given much time and thought to its proper cultivation and has converted it from the wild state of nature into one of the best farms in the county. When he first settled there, neighbors were fifteen miles away, and the nearest market place was at Black River Falls, which was then a small village. The farm is composed of 200 acres and many conveniences. In choosing a political creed in his newly adopted county, Mr. Anderson identified himself with the Republican Party. He and his family are members of the Lutheran Church, and are numbered among the faithful and consistent. June 24, 1862, our esteemed subject was united in marriage to Miss Mary Thurston of Jackson County, Wisconsin. She was born in Norway, February 6, 1843, and is a daughter of Thurston and Alie (Reierson) Thurstenson, natives of Norway. The parents emigrated to America in 1852, and settled in Pennsylvania Township, where the father still survives, the mother died several years ago. Mrs. Anderson is a woman of many accomplishments and rare virtues, and is highly respected by all who know her. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Anderson: Emma H., who is as a teacher has won a high reputation; Alida T., the wife of Sanders Thompson; Ida L., Nettie S., Thomas, Albert, Minnie L., Enoch W. and Newell G. Nettie S., Ida L. and Thomas are deceased. Alida T. Thompson is the mother of one child, Gaylord G. They reside in Madison, Wisconsin. HISTORY OF CLARK AND JACKSON COUNTY - 1891

Knud Anderson, Jr. of section 15, Warner Township, Clark County, was born in Telemarken County, Southeastern Norway, November 20, 1828, the son of Adney Anderson, deceased. The father bought his family to the United States in 1843, settling in Norway Township, Racine County, Wisconsin, where he died in 1845. The family then came to Jackson County in 1854 settling in Springfield Township where the mother died in 1878. They had seven children, all now living, namely: Knud Sr., Gunder, Ole, Mary, Knud Jr., Margaret and Sarah. While in Jackson County, Knud Anderson, Jr. first worked at carpentering, and then at farming. In 1869 he removed to LaCrosse, where he kept a tavern one year, and in 1870 came to this county and took up a homestead on Section 18, Township 27, range 1 east, where he lived five years. He next lived on Giles Creek four years, after which he worked in Tom Miller's Mill. He came to his present place, Hemlock, in 1879, where he has been night watchman on the flood dam and also ran the plane in the Hemlock Mills. He now has charge of the Hemlock flood dam for the Black River Improvement Company. Mr. Anderson has also been engaged some at carpentering in this county. He was married in June 1859 to Thea Burch, who was born near Christiania, Norway, the daughter of Torger Burch, deceased. They have had fifteen children, twelve of whom are still living, namely: Clara T., Adolph, Augusta, Laura, Millie, Nellie, Fernando, Geogiana, Birdie, W. Lee, Sadie and Frankie. Clara married James Rowe of Calumet, Michigan and has one child, Winifred P. Adolph, a merchant at Greenwood, married Mary Francis and has one child, George. Augusta married Albert Huggett of Melrose, Jackson County, and has one child also, Ralph. Mr. Anderson is a Republican politically. HISTORY OF CLARK AND JACKSON COUNTIES - 1891

Oscar E. Anderson, a lifelong resident of Taylor passed away February 1st, 1961 at the University Hospital in Madison, after a few weeks illness. Mr. Anderson was born in Taylor, Wisconsin, the youngest son of Pastor and Mrs. Edward Anderson, pioneers of Taylor. After attending Taylor schools and the University of Madison, he received his degree in pharmacy after serving in World War I with the 311 Engineers, Black Hawk Deve., he returned to Taylor and purchased the H.O. Hauge drug store which he operated until his retirement a few years ago. Mr. Anderson was an active member of the Lutheran church in Taylor, also a member of American Legion Hanson-Lien Post No. 368. He was married October 2, 1921 to Miss Olga Peterson of Taylor who preceded him in death February 18, 1943 and is survived by two sons, Raymond of Waterloo and Robert of Maize, Kansas; one sister, Mrs. Marie Klevyer of Minneapolis; two brothers, Alfred of LaCrosse and Henry of Laguna Beach, California; and four grandchildren who greatly mourn his loss. Funeral services were conducted at the Lutheran church in Taylor with a host of friends and neighbors attending who will greatly miss a kind friend and highly regarded neighbor. Interment was made in Woodlawn cemetery. Many floral offerings were received and memorials to the Lutheran church in Taylor and Ebenezer Home for the Aged in Minneapolis. BLACK RIVER FALLS BANNER JOURNAL - MARCH 15, 1961

Andrew W. Anderson resides on section 26, Town of Lincoln, where he settled in 1870, when but little improvement had been made there. Mr. Anderson was born in 1836. In 1848 his father, Gilbert Anderson, emigrated to the United States with his family, except the subject of this sketch, who came six years later. The family settled in the Town of Blue Mound in Dane County, Wisconsin. The family made their home there until the year 1870, when they came to Trempealeau County. Here the parents lived till death. In 1854, Mr. Andrew W. Anderson, who was the only one of the family who had remained in Norway, came to this country. He went to Dane County, where the family was living. There he remained until 1859. At this time the gold excitement at Pike’s Peak was at its height, and Mr. Anderson with many others decided to go to that place. He numbered one of a party of five young men who started from Dane County, and all reached Denver in safety. He continued in Denver engaged in work till the spring of 1863, when in company of five, though not the company who had gone with him to Denver, started with team and wagon for Virginia City, Nevada, but on reaching that place decided to continue to San Francisco, which they reached in safety after a long and eventful journey. He stayed there until spring of 1864, and then he went to Boise City, Idaho, where he stayed a short time, when the excitement occurred regarding the Alder Creek Mines in Montana, when he left there and went to what is now Helena, Montana. There he remained until 1870, when he returned. Going from Helena to Fort Benton, he descended the Missouri River on a steamer to Sioux City, where he crossed the state of Iowa, and thus returned home. Soon after his return to Dane County he came here and brought his father’s family with him. The subject of this is the oldest son, and the oldest but one of his father’s family. Mr. Anderson bought his farm of Elder Aldrich. He has 160 acres. He was married in 1870 to Julia Evenson, native of Norway. They have an adopted daughter, Clara Solberg. She is now Mrs. Gustav Thompson of Donaldson, Minnesota. She has two children: George T. and Marie A. One daughter, Lena Maria, born in 1871, died at age of ten months. Mr. Anderson is one of the representative men of his town. He has a pleasant home, etc. He has had much experience with the world. His trip to the Pacific coast in the early days, before the railroad had crossed the continent, was fraught with events and incidents of much interest. In his political affiliations Mr. Anderson, as is the entire family, is a Republican, and is a warm advocate of the principles of that party. Mr. Anderson is numbered among the progressive and public-spirited citizens of Trempealeau County. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Gilbert Anderson and his good wife, Ingeborg Fladegaard, natives of Norway, were among the early people of that hardy race who have done so much to better the agricultural conditions of America, coming to the American land at a very early date. On reaching this country, they found their means exhausted when they had got as far west as Milwaukee, but undaunted they set out with an ox team, proceeding to Dane County, where they settled. The elder members of the family, including Gilbert’s aged mother, about 80 years, had walked the entire distance. They were ambitious God-fearing people, being representative and prosperous. Both are now deceased. They were the parents of Ever B. and Charles H. Anderson, who are representative farmers of Lincoln Township, this county. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Cornell H. Anderson, a prominent insurance man of the State of Wisconsin, now living in Milwaukee, claims Trempealeau County, as his place of nativity, his birth having taken place in Independence, August 8, 1885. His parents, Henry and Casssandra (Everson) Anderson, took him to Superior, Wisconsin, as a child, and there he passed through the graded and high schools. Entering the insurance business at the age of 17, he became clerk in the office of an agency at Superior and there thoroughly learned the business. In 1910 he assumed the duties of his present position as special State agent, inspector and adjustor for the Home Fire Insurance Company of New York. With an office at Milwaukee, he covers the entire state. He is a “hustler,” and is widely known for his business ability and his good fellowship. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Henry Anderson was born in Trondhjem, Norway, and as a young man came to America. He married Cassandra Everson, a native of Harisburg, Pennsylvania and together they came to Trempealeau County. For a time they lived on a farm near Independence. In the late ‘80’s they moved to Superior, Wisconsin, where Henry Anderson was employed as a structural iron-worker. While engaged in this occupation in November 1891, he was severely injured from the effects of which he died on the 27th of the following month. His wife still lives in Superior. In the family there were six children: Ida, Alice, Sebert J., Clarence, Oscar and Cornell H. Ida married Carl Sorem, an electrical engineer of Minneapolis. Alice is a teacher in the eighth grade of the Superior public schools. Sebert J is a violin player, and makes his home in Chicago. Clarence is the chief clerk of the Minneapolis Board of Education. Cornell H, twin of Clarence, is State insurance inspector and adjustor for the Home Fire Insurance Company of New York, and is located at Milwaukee. Oscar was killed while deer hunting near Superior, November 27, 1904. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

OLE J. ANDERSON (BIRI, NORWAY) (2) Ole J. Anderson, proprietor of the Nordingen farm of 240 acres in section 15, town 23, range 7, Hale Township, was born in Biri, Norway, October 9, 1862, son of John and Pernella (Kalverud) Anderson, who came to America in 1885, the former now making his home with his children and the latter of whom died in 1911. Ole J Anderson came to America in 1882 and started work on his present farm for Ole Faring, who then owned the place and who had assisted in paying his passage. In 1896 Mr. Anderson bought 80 acres of his present farm. In 1903 he bought the portion of which his home is located. Here he carries on general farming, and raises a good grade of Holstein cattle and Poland-China swine. Taking, as he does, an interest in public affairs, he has served as treasurer of the school board for the past twelve years. The family faith is that of the Norwegian Lutheran Church of America. Mr. Anderson was married December 27, 1890 to Anna Hanvold, born in Coon Valley, Vernon County, October 17, 1872, daughter of Andrew and Aganetta Hanvold. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have two children: Adolph, who is at home; and Palma, who was graduated from the Red Wing Seminary, Red Wing, Minnesota, Class of 1917. HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Andrew Anderson came to Trempealeau County in 1873, and lived in Hale Township until 1883, when he moved to Chimney Rock Township and purchased 170 acres in section 1, which in 1911 was purchased by his son, Morris. Andrew Anderson was born in Varmland, Sweden, May 20, 1841, and upon coming to America in 1866 located in La Crosse until settling in this county. He died February 3, 1911. His wife, Olivia Jacobson, whom he married in Chimney Rock Township, was born in Sweden, March 6, 1838, and died December 3, 1911. In the family there were three children: Morris has been mentioned. Amanda is the wife of Ole Storberg, of Albion Township, this county. One is dead. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917

Morris Anderson is a native of Hale Township, this county, and was brought to his present farm by his parents in 1883. He now owns 170 acres in section 1, Chimney Rock Township, and carries on general farming, making a specialty of Durham cattle, Poland-China swine and Rhode Island Red chickens. Mr. Anderson was born July 16, 1877, and with the exception of six years spent as a traveling salesman he has devoted his life to farming. He was married in Minneapolis, December 31, 1913 to Cornelia Carlson, of Chimney Rock Township, daughter of Carl and Anna (Hendrickson) Carlson, and they have one son, Eldrige Rudel, born July 25, 1914; they have also adopted a bright girl, Margaet Meachin, born July 2, 1905. The family faith is that of the United Norwegian Lutheran church. Mrs. Anderson’s parents came to America from Varmland, Sweden, in 1887, settling in Chimney Rock Township. Her father died in 1897, and her mother is still living on the old homestead. Five children were born to them: Charles, Emma, Beda, Cornelia and Julia, all living. SOURCE – HISTORY OF TREMPEALEAU COUNTY - 1917


Back to Home Page