Chaplin, one of the smallest towns of Windham county, lies in the southwestern part, on the western border and next north of the town of Windham. It is bounded on the north by Ashford and Eastford, on the east by Hampton, on the south by Scotland (for a short distance) and Windham, and on the west by Mansfield, in Tolland county. The surface is considerably hilly, and much of it is covered with forest growth which affords timber for building and other purposes. Much of the soil, however, is good, and agriculture may be successfully carried on. The New York & New England railroad runs across the southeast corner of the town, and affords communication at Goshen Station in the town of Hampton and about three miles from the village of Chaplin. The township has an area of about twenty square miles, being six miles long from north to south and a little more than three miles wide. The Natchaug river runs through the town, entering at the northeast corner and leaving at the southwest corner, receiving on its way Ames’ brook from the east and Stone House brook from the west. The village is one of those quiet, homelike, mature villages, characteristic of the rural and agricultural sections of New England. A social and homogeneous character marks the inhabitants to a remarkable degree. The high moral tone pervading the people, and the peacefulness of the community and the long life of individuals, which are open facts here, afford valuable suggestions to those who would study the social elevation of humanity.
The northwest part of Hampton was for many years held mostly by non-residents. But few attempts were made at settlement in that section. The first permanent settler of whom we have any knowledge was Benjamin Chaplin, whose father, a deacon by the same name, lived in the southwest part of Pomfret. On arriving at his majority, he went into the wilderness, and for a while lived a solitary life here, in a clearing which he had made on the banks of the Natchaug. Here he engaged in making baskets and wooden trays. In 1747 he married Mary Ross, a widow, the daughter of Seth Paine, of Brooklyn. Not long after, he built a large and handsome mansion, still known as the old Chaplin house, where he reared a numerous family. Mrs. Chaplin equaled her husband in thrift and economy, and they soon accumulated property. Like his father-in-law, Mr. Chaplin was a skillful surveyor, and became very familiar with all the land in his vicinity, and often was able to buy large tracts at a small price. In 1756 Mr. Chaplin purchased of William and Martha Brattle, of Cambridge, for 1,647 [English pounds], seventeen hundred and sixty-five acres of land, mostly east of the Natchaug and crossing it in nine places, which, with other acquisitions, gave him a princely domain. Some eligible sites were sold to settlers from Windham and adjoining towns, but the greater part was retained in his own possession. He laid out plans, built houses and barns, and otherwise exercised his ownership and disposition to improve his estate. He was a man of strongly marked character, shrewd and farseeing, a friend of mankind, the church and the state, and was highly respected throughout the range of his acquaintance. He was of a decidedly religious turn, and read much on subjects in that line. He attended church in South Mansfield, riding six miles on horseback over the rough path, with bread and cheese in his saddle-bags for luncheon and a daughter on the pillion behind him to jump down and open the bars and gates on the way. In 1765 he united with the First church of Mansfield, and ten years afterward was chosen one of its deacons. Though his residence was in Mansfield, he owned much land in Hampton, and was actively interested in its affairs. His daughter Sarah married James Howard; Eunice was the wife of Zebediah Tracy, Esq. of Scotland Parish; Tamasin, the wife of Isaac Perkins, Esq., of Ashford; and Hannah, the wife of Reverend David Avery. His only son, Benjamin, a young man of much promise, died in 1789. He had been married to a granddaughter of President Edwards, and left three sons, Benjamin, Timothy and Jonathan Edwards. Deacon Chaplin died March 25th, 1795, in the seventy-sixth year of his age, leaving an estate valued at nearly 8,500 [English pounds], including over two thousand acres of land, four houses and eight barns. In his will he gave three hundred pounds as a permanent fund for the encouragement of Gospel preaching in the neighborhood of his homestead.
incorporated as an ecclesiastical society in October, 1809. It included
residents of the western part of Hampton with some of Mansfield and Windham
so situated that their convenience was enhanced by joining this society.
William Perkins, of Ashford, was appointed to enroll the names of all within
prescribed limits who should elect to become members of the new society
and to act as its moderator at its first meeting, which was held December
4th, at the dwelling house of the late Benjamin Chaplin. The first members
of the society thus enrolled were Israel, John, Thomas and Francis Clark,
James Clark, senior and junior, Ebenezer Cary, Jared and Joseph Huntington,
Joseph and Elisha Martin, Roswell Bill, Chester Storrs, Matthew Smith,
Daniel, Nathaniel and Joseph Moseley, Rufus Butler, John Rindge, William
Moulton, Elkanah Barton and Nathaniel Cutler. At its second meeting this
society took a step in advance of the age in voting to admit a woman as
a member of the body. This woman was Mrs. Lois Robbins, a widow who was
training up a large family and successfully administering an encumbered
estate. Further particulars of the history of this society and its management
of church affairs will be given in connection with the church history of
The need of a more distinctly civil organization was soon felt, and in May, 1822, the assembly granted town privileges to Chaplin. The bounds of the ecclesiastical and school societies were soon after made identical with those of the town. The first meeting of the town convened July 4th, 1822. Erastus Hovey was made moderator. Orin Witter was chosen town clerk and treasurer; John Ross, William Martin, Origen Bennett, Luther Ashley and Nehemiah Holt, selectmen; Abel Ross and James Utley, constables; James Moseley, Jr., Elisha Bill and Judson Metcalf, grand jurors; Enoch Pond, Darius Knight, Heman Clark and Isaiah Geer, tithingmen; Jonathan H. Ashley, sealer of weights and measures; Erastus Hough, Matthew Smith and John Clark, fence-viewers. The population of Chaplin at that time was about eight hundred. The development of business enterprises was quickened by the town organization. Peter Lyon set up a paper mill in the south part of the town. Major Edward Eaton engaged in lumber operations and built new houses in Chaplin village. Boot making was carried on to a large extent. A tannery was actively maintained, and attempts were made to establish an iron foundry. The culture of silk received considerable attention, and palm leaf hats were successfully manufactured. The Natchaug affords considerable power for manufacturing purposes, but the remoteness from railroad was an obstacle against the development of manufacturing enterprises at a time when other localities were making rapid strides in that direction. Thus the manufacturing industry scarcely increased for half a century. A paper mill has been kept at work for many years. The manufacture of spindles and plow handles was established some years ago. Agriculture, however, is the leading pursuit, and silk culture has received some attention.
mill in the south part of Chaplin was built by Peter Lyon, Esq. His father
was one of the solid men of eastern Massachusetts. He afterward became
a paper manufacturer at Newton Falls. He made by hand the paper used by
the Daily Sentinel, Weekly Galaxy and the Daily Courier, when first printed.
He was the foremost in establishing Meridian Lodge of Masons in Needham,
of which he was for several years master. He died in Chaplin, November
18th, 1863, aged 87. He was buried in Milton, Mass., his native place.
A few years before his death on the streets of Boston, he met Mr. Buckingham,
publisher of the Galaxy, for whom he formerly made paper; they grasped
each other by the hand, “What!” said Mr. Lyon, “You alive?” “Why,” said
Mr. Buckingham, “Are you really alive?” The meeting was such as old and
generous hearted friends always have. About the year 1837 he purchased
a tract of land of the late John Wells, in eastern Connecticut, making
as his friends called it, a domestic paradise in the woods and erecting
his mills on the Natchaug river in Chaplin. His sons for a time took charge
of the paper mill, after which it came back into his hands. He afterward
sold the mills to Mr. John Page, who carried on the business for a time,
when they passed into the hands of Mr. John Dickey, then Green & Bathwick
purchased and run the mills until they were burned to the ground. Afterward
they were rebuilt by Morey & Fuller, who also built the large reservoir
near the line in Ashford. Again the mills were burned, when the Case Brothers
of Manchester, rebuilt the mills, and for several years Mr. William Hodge,
an experienced paper maker from Poquonock, acted as their superintendent.
When he left, Mr. Frederick Case purchased the mills of his brothers, removed
to Chaplin and carried on quite a successful business until he made another
exchange with his brothers Willard and Wells, who continued the business
until they sold to the present owners Samuel A. and William N. Smith. The
main building is 40 by 70, two floors, and machine room, 40 by 100, one
floor. They employ from 15 to 20 hands and the annual product is about
one thousand tons. The water power is excellent and usually sufficient,
but when the water is low, they use also a steam engine of 90 horse power.
About one quarter of a mile below the old paper mills, was the old Howard saw and grist mill. A few years since, this mill was rebuilt and modified as a pulp manufactory. The original company consisted of Nettleton, Moore & Thompson. They were accustomed to make from forty to fifty hundred pounds of pulp per day. The mills were sold to Mr. Meloney, who carried on the pulp business until the mill was much injured by a high freshet of the Natchaug river. The privilege was then purchased by the Case Brothers, rebuilt and enlarged, and changed into a paper mill. The upright part is 40 by 60, three floors, machine room 44 by 70, one floor, with projections for storage, etc. The water power is estimated at about one hundred horse power. About two tons of paper per day is the product of this mill.
About half a mile below this mill are the Ross mills. The late Sherman Ross built this mill as a wheelbarrow manufactory. There are also a shop for turning spools from white birch, and a saw and grist mill. These mills are now owned by George Ross and his son Charles, who do quite a business in their saw and shingle mill, and on their grist mill. They buy grain by the car load and grind for the markets as well as for home customers. About three miles above the paper mills on the Natchaug river are the Griggs mills, formerly the Moseley mills. Here, for more than a hundred years, have been a saw and grist mill, generally doing a thriving business. The mill is located in the northeast corner of the town. It was established first by Benjamin Chaplin. He sold it December 2d, 1771, to Nathaniel Moseley. It was an old mill then. The latter sold it in December, 1782, to Flavel Moseley and he to John Fuller, May 22d, 1823. After the death of the latter his administrators sold it to Royal Copeland, March 25th, 1829, and by him it was sold to Josiah C. Jackson, February 16th, 1830. He sold it to Jared Clark and Newel Allen, September 28th, 1833, and they sold it to David A. Griggs, the present owner, February 11th, 1837. For many years a good business in plough beam and plough handle making was carried on, and also the manufacture of wheelbarrows. In an additional shop, the late Nathan Griggs made spindles for the factories, doing a successful business until he was fatally injured in the establishment, and after his death the business was no longer carried on. Only the saw and grist mills are now in operation.
On the Stone House brook as it is called, the old clothiers’ works of Kingsbury & Bingham were formerly located, and in the olden time, before woolen cloths were so largely manufactured in the woolen mills, a successful business was done at this place. When this business declined. Deacon Ephraim Kingsbury used the establishment for a box factory, and turning lathes, where he worked on both iron and wood. A saw mill here did a good business. Half a mile below was the Bennett saw mill, now owned by C.E. Griggs. The plough beam business has of late years been carried on at this mill. A mile above was the shingle mill of Mr. Jirah Backus, now unoccupied, and the mill-pond has been a fish-pond, of popular resort. Stone House brook, as good fishing ground, has been known even in some of the cities of the state.
The schools of Chaplin, select and district, have been in good repute. C. Edwin Griggs and Clark Griggs, both graduates of Amherst; Julian Griggs, of the scientific department of Yale College: Clinton J. Backus, of Amherst College; Edward F. Williams, of Williams College; Reverend George Soule, of Amherst; Reverend Roswell Snow, of Yale; Edgar S. Lincoln and Charles H. Williams, of Eastman’s Business College, all went from Chaplin. Miss Catherine F. Griggs, Mary E. Williams, Edith A. Church, Nellie M. Griggs, Annie M. Griggs, Jennie E. Griggs, Hattie A. Griggs, Lena R. Church, Isadore P. Church, Delia M. Eaton and Lydia Ashley were all natives of this town and members of Mt. Holyoke Seminary at South Hadley, Mass., all but one fitted to enter that institution at Chaplin Center school. Mr. Clark H. Griggs was in the army and rose to be head clerk in the patent office at Washington. Julian Griggs now occupies a good position as civil engineer, and Clinton J. Backus is principal of one of the schools of St. Paul, Minn. Among those natives of Chaplin who have reached distinction, may be mentioned Hon. Edwin Jones, a wealthy lawyer in Minneapolis, one of the directors of the American Board of Foreign Missions, and said to be the largest giver to benevolent objects of any member of the Congregational church in the country; Mr. George Griggs, a merchant in New York, and during the last years of his life connected with one of the largest insurance companies in the country; Mr. Wales Eaton, a large silk dealer, having an office in New York; and Mr. Charles Backus, a successful banker in Illinois. The late Major Edwin Eaton attained large wealth as a carpenter and dealer in timber. It is said that he built more than half the houses in Chaplin Center, several meeting houses in other towns, and for a time contracted for timber for the Spragues in building up their manufacturing villages.
of Chaplin, at the incorporation of the town, was about 900; the present
population is 627. Chaplin furnished a good number of soldiers in the war
of the rebellion and was ahead of her quota when the war closed, and the
war debt is paid. In one battle three of her soldiers were killed; in fact,
she lost heavily during the war. One of her selectmen at the time of enlistment
died a prisoner.
During the war of the revolution a small Congregational church was constituted in what is now the southeast part of Chaplin, on what is called Chewink Plains, a locality of flat land which was much frequented by the little birds in whose honor the name was given. The original members of this early church were mostly from the Windham church, and it had only one pastor, Reverend John Storrs, a native of Mansfield, son of the minister in that town, and in the line of distinguished clergymen of the name. He was a faithful and useful man, but at his death in 1799 the church became extinct, thirteen of its members returning to the church in Windham. There remains now to mark the location of this original church a burying ground, which lies in the waste of wild land a little north of the New England railroad crossing, on the road from Chaplin to Scotland. It covers about two acres, and the peacefulness of its retreat seems enhanced by the murmuring sighs of the breezes that pass through numerous white pine trees which occupy the ground. Many old graves are unmarked. The oldest dates discernible on the monumental slabs indicate the early years of this century. Many of the old name of Canada appear, and this name shows in later years the change to modern form as Kennedy. On a conspicuous brown stone slab we read: “Our Dear Brother, J.S. Colburn, Member of Co. H, 18 C. Vol., Died at Danville, Va., A Prisoner of War, Dec. 18, 1864, Age 20 yrs., 7 mo. ‘Thou has left us, Fare thee well.’” Other family names that appear on headstones are Smith, Hunt, Button, Allen, M’Coy, Dean, Blackman, Flint, Ashley, Kelley, Walcott, Upton, Bugbee, Colburn, Holt, Nichols, Lawton, Neff, Wyllys, Burrows and Martin.
At some time
between 1840 and 1850,a small Protestant Methodist church was formed in
the south part of the town, to which Elder Jones ministered, preaching
in school houses and private dwellings. After his death this church also
We have already said that the founder of settlement here was Deacon Benjamin Chaplin. His Christian character, beautifully manifested in his life, has been a subject for the admiration and emulation of many generations, and must continue to be until the wheels of Christian civilization turn backward. As Deacon Chaplin drew on toward the end of life, and thought how God had blessed him in things temporal as well as things spiritual, his pleasant home, his good children, filling places of influence, honor and usefulness, the thought pressed upon him, “How can I best serve my generation after I have passed to my home above?” Although almost or quite as many inhabitants occupied what is now the boundary of the town, yet few of them were in what is now the center of the town. On Tower hill, Bare hill, Natchaug, Chewink plains and Bedlam were found most of the people, yet all of them must go from two to five miles to find a place of public worship, and not one of these places was adapted to be a center for a place of worship. Near his residence must be the natural center, the place for a meeting house, to accommodate all parts of the new town, which was sure in time to be incorporated. He therefore made a will, characteristic of the man, and likely to carry out the purpose he had in mind. He bequeathed the sum of three hundred pounds for the support of a learned orthodox ministry. If any of his heirs endeavored to prevent the carrying out of this purpose, and to make this part of his will inoperative, such person or persons were to be disinherited and to receive nothing from his estate. From the income of this permanent fund, a minister professing and preaching the doctrines of the Gospel, according as they are explained in the Westminster confession of faith, was to be in part supported. If the question arose whether any preacher did thus teach, it was to be decided by the ministers of the Windham County Association. An ecclesiastical society must be formed before January 1st, 1812, and religious services must be held within one mile and a quarter of his dwelling house. Regular preaching must be maintained to entitle the society to use the income from this fund, and by regular preaching was meant at least forty Sabbaths each year. This fund was enlarged by subscriptions from the people, by the sum of five hundred pounds, subject to the same conditions and limitations as that of Deacon Chaplin.
The ecclesiastical society was incorporated by the general assembly in October, 1809—“Voted, that the School House in Chaplin District be the place of public worship; that we set up steady preaching bearing date from the first Monday of December, 1809.” A committee was appointed to supply the pulpit. It was found so difficult to agree upon the location of the meeting house to be built that it was voted to apply to the county court to settle the question. This vote was taken August 13th, 1810. A petition was sent to the general assembly for permission to raise by a lottery the sum of two thousand dollars for the purpose of building a meeting house, and four managers were nominated to act in this business. It does not seem that success attended this effort. Subscriptions in money, building materials and labor were raised for the building of the meeting house, and it was accepted as completed according to contract September 14th, 1815. It was not finished as it was intended eventually to be, but so that public worship could be held in it.
slips nor pulpit were provided, but the people went up with joy to the
courts of the Lord, to worship Him in His own house. After a number of
years a steeple was built upon the east end of the meeting house, a bell
procured in 1837, the pews or slips were constructed, and a lofty pulpit
placed for the elevation of the minister. Thus they intended to have their
pastors settled over the people. Many years after, one of the pastors expressed
the earnest wish to have the pulpit brought down from its great altitude,
that he might be among his people as one of them, saying when his Master
wished him to come up to heaven he hoped he should be ready, but while
he was upon earth he did not wish to be placed somewhere between the earth
and heaven. The pulpit was brought down as he wished, and yet it was too
high for some of his successors, and it has been brought down several feet
lower, and now it has only the elevation of the modern pulpit. A number
of years since, the people feeling the need of a lecture room or vestry,
moved the meeting house about fifty feet on the hillside, and constructed
a very commodious vestry under it, where the evening meetings and other
religious social gatherings are accommodated. Thus the same meeting house
has been occupied during the entire history of the church, except for a
short time when worship was held in the Center school house.
The Congregational church was organized by an ecclesiastical council, May 31st, 1810, consisting of fifteen members. Present on the council: Reverend Nathan Williams, D.D., of Tolland, moderator; Reverend Moses C. Welch, of North Mansfield, scribe; and Reverend Hollis Sampson, of Eastford, with their delegates. The creed and covenant adopted by the church were approved by the council.
The church has had ten deacons: Ebenezer Cary, Nathaniel Moseley, Elkanah Barton, Roger Clark, Darius Knight, Jared Clark, Ephraim Kingsbury, Otis Whiton, John W. Griggs and William Martin. All have finished their work upon earth except Deacons Griggs and Martin, who are now acting deacons.
The church has had six pastors and several stated supplies. Reverend David Avery, Reverend Nathan Grosvenor and Reverend John R. Freeman are the only stated supplies who have served for any considerable time. Reverend David Avery labored at the time of the formation of the church, was one of the original members, married Deacon Chaplin’s daughter Hannah, preached in Chaplin and in Bennington, Vt., and died while laboring in Virginia February 15th, 1817. Reverend Nathan Grosvenor made his home in Chaplin during the closing years of his life, died in Chaplin, and was buried in Pomfret in the ancestral cemetery. Reverend John R. Freeman, after leaving Chaplin, preached in Andover, Conn., Barkhampsted and Westford, where he died December 6th, 1876. Reverend Francis Williams, of Chaplin, preached his funeral sermon. He was buried in the beautiful cemetery in Westford.
Reverend Jared Andrus, a native of Bolton, Conn., was installed December 27th, 1820, being the first of the six regular pastors. He was dismissed May 11th, 1830. He was born May 6th, 1784, and died November 12th, 1832, having been installed over the Congregational church in North Madison, Conn., in the preceding June. He was buried in the cemetery at North Madison. Reverent Lent S. Hough was ordained in Chaplin August 17th, 1831, and was dismissed December 20th, 1836. After leaving Chaplin, Mr. Hough preached in North Woodstock 1837-41; North Madison, 1842-45; Bethel, 1845-46; Middletown, 1847-63; Wolcott, 1863-69; Salem, 1869-70; Niantic, 1870-77; and died in Poquonock September 22d, 1879, aged seventy-six.
Reverend Erastus Dickinson, born in Plainfield, Mass., April 1st, 1807, ordained pastor of the Congregational church in Canton, Mass., 1835, was installed the third pastor in Chaplin October 25th, 1837, and was dismissed January 2d, 1849. Mr. Dickinson preached, after leaving Chaplin, in Marshfield, Mass., Colchester, Conn., and in Sudbury, Mass. He was dismissed on account of failing health, and only preached occasionally afterward. He removed to Bricksburg, now Lakewood, N.J., where he resided about twenty years. He died September 4th, 1888,, aged eighty one.
Knight, born in Northampton, Mass., January 15th, 1817, was ordained in
Chaplin as the fourth pastor May 1st, 1850, and dismissed December 31st,
1852. Mr. Knight afterward preached in Stafford, Hebron, North Coventry,
Broadbrook, Rocky Hill, Torringford, New Hartford, South and East Hartland,
where he is still laboring in the work of the ministry.
Reverend Joseph W. Backus, the fifth pastor, a native of Franklin, Conn., was ordained in Blackstone, Mass., installed in Chaplin January 23d, 1856, and dismissed January 1st, 1858. Mr. Backus afterward preached in Leominster, Mass., Lowell, Mass., Rockville, Thomaston and Plainville, where he still labors in the ministry.
Reverent Francis Williams, the sixth pastor, was born in Ashfield, Franklin county, Mass., January 2d, 1814. He was the fourth son of Captain Israel and Lavina Joy Williams. The family consisted of nine sons and two daughters. He prepared for college at Sanderson Academy in Ashfield, Amherst Academy and the academy at Shelburne Falls. He entered Williams College in 1834 and graduated in the class of 1838, speaking an oration at commencement. He was one of the prize speakers in his junior year, and had also a junior oration. Immediately after graduation he entered the Theological Seminary at East Windsor Hill, Conn., where he graduated in August, 1841. During his educational course, he taught in Coxsackie, N.Y., two terms in Hawley, Mass., and during the winter of his senior year he was principal of the Sanderson Academy in his native town, and one winter during his seminary course he was principal of the academy in Windsor, Conn. He was licensed to preach at the close of the middle year in the seminary, by the Franklin County Association at Coleraine, Mass. Nearly six months before he closed his seminary course, he received a call to settle in Eastford, Conn., and accepted it, on condition that he should complete his course at the seminary, supply the pulpit by exchanges, or by sending some of his classmates, whenever he wished; his salary then commenced, and he has been under a regular salary continuously from that day to the present. Reverend Doctor Tyler, of East Windsor Hill, preached his ordination sermon. General Nathaniel Lyon, of Eastford, graduated at West Point and came to his home at about the same time, and henceforth until Lyon’s death, they became personal friends; Mr. Williams offering the prayer at his funeral. After a little more than ten years, Mr. Williams accepted a call to settle in Bloomfield, Conn. Reverend Doctor Milton Badger, of New York, preached the sermon of installation. In 1858, Mr. Williams accepted a call to settle in Chaplin, where he has remained for about thirty-two years. Professor Edward A. Lawrence, D.D., of East Windsor Hill, preached the installation sermon. His health has been good almost during his entire ministry. Since his graduation at the Theological seminary, in 1841, he has been but twice absent from the annual anniversary of the seminary, and then he was detained to attend funerals. For more than thirty years he has been a trustee in the Hartford Theological Seminary, only the Hon. Newton Case, of Hartford, being his senior in office. On several occasions he has been a member of the examining committee in that institution. For several years he has been a director of the Connecticut Home Missionary Society and a trustee of the Ministers’ Fund, and has never been absent from one of the meetings. For more than forty years he has been acting school visitor in the different towns where he has resided. In 1876 he was elected as a member of the legislature and was a member of the committee on temperance.
On the 22d
of October, 1841, he married Miss Mahala R. Badger, daughter of Enoch Badger,
of Springfield, Mass. She was sister of Reverend Norman Badger, a classmate
of Stanton, the great war secretary, a professor at Gambia College, O.,
president of Shelby College, Ky., and died while chaplain in the army.
She was also a niece of Doctor Milton Badger, long a distinguished secretary
of the Home Missionary Society. They have had five children, four sons
and one daughter. Two sons died in infancy. Edward F. graduated at Williams
College in the class of 1868, taught for a short time, when failing health
compelled him to return to his home in Chaplin, where he died October 6th,
1869, aged 24. Charles H. graduated at Eastman’s Business College at Poughkeepsie,
N.Y., became a member of Haight’s Engineering Corps, took a severe cold
while at Rondout, N.Y., surveying the Hudson River railroad, had severe
hemorrhage of the throat, and died in Chaplin, December 19th, 1874, at
the age of 26. Mary Elizabeth, their only daughter, graduated at Mt. Holyoke
Seminary in the class of 1871, taught select school after graduation, married
Reverend William H. Phipps, October 10th, 1872. He has been pastor in East
Woodstock, Poquonock, and Prospect, Conn., where he has been pastor for
about eleven years, and where he still continues his labors.
Seven sermons preached by Mr. Williams have been printed in pamphlet form, and several in part or in full in newspapers.
Temperance Funeral Sermon of
Francis Squires. At his own request preached, Text 2d Kings, 10, 9: “Responsible
Agents of Intemperance.” In American Temperance Preacher No. 4.
Funeral of Benjamin Bosworth, Esq., of Eastford.
Funeral of Reverend Asa King, pastor in Westminster, Conn.
Funeral of Mrs. Asa King, preached in Westminster.
Funeral of two soldiers from Chaplin, killed in the battle of Winchester, Earl Ashley and Anson A. Fenton, preached in Chaplin. Text, John 18, 36.
New Year’s Sermon, January 5th, 1863, in Chaplin.
7. New Year's Sermon, January 3d, 1874, in Chaplin.
No ecclesiastical council has ever been called to adjust any church or ministerial difficulties, and no minister placed over this people has been accused of, or tried for any scandal or heresy while pastor here or elsewhere. It is a temperance town. No saloon, tavern or dancing hall is known to exist; and probably a dancing school or hall has not been known in the town in the last fifty years, if ever; certainly not in the last thirty years. Many noted revivals have taken place, and the church has been in a vigorous state for a rural community.