from FADING MOMENTS RECORDED published August 1964 by Elveta Phillips and Ruth Norris
Excerpt from Chapter I (pages 4-5)
The Wieland Community has three known cemeteries within its boundaries, and only the soil holds the secret to the number of graves belonging to previous civilizations. The most modern cemetery is located on farm-to-market road 2101, and it was started about the year 1875. Mrs. Brown was the first to be buried there and Rodney Hart the second. Pink Hill, a very young boy, was buried there in 1878, and William and Martha Nix were buried there in the late 1870's. Probably the oldest person buried there is a Mrs. Socwell, grandmother of the William Hart children. At the present, there is estimated to be about 400 graves in the Wieland Cemetery. Jim Thompson is credited with donating the plot of land.
The cemetery which was used prior to the Wieland Cemetery was abandoned long before the turn of the century. It is located on the north part of the Melvin "Doc" Graham farm in a cedar grove. It was established in the late 1860's and was called the Hart Cemetery. There is a cemetery just west of this community and Highway 34 which is also known as the Hart Cemetery, and it is named for the same family. The cemetery on the "Doc" Graham farm has only five markers remaining, but several other persons are buried there. An unusual grave is the double grave of Charles and Eliza Hart who died November 3, 1870. They were two of the first settlers coming about 1844 or '46. Another grave is marked SGT Oliver J. Christy, Co. D, 22 Calvary C.S.A. Millie M. Steele, 1884-1886, was the two year old daughter of William "Bill" Steele who died when her mother was unable to extinguish her flaming clothing. Sem, son of D. F. and N. J. Moore, 1875-1878, was Paul and Earl Moore's father's brother. Eliza, wife of T. L. Arnold, 1853-1884, is written on a home-made concrete slab. She was the wife of "Uncle Tom" Arnold. Johnson Hill's tombstone bears his name only. He died in 1871 and was the father of Eliza Arnold. He had a child, Adline Hill, also buried there, but without a marker.
The oldest burying plot known in the community in in the old Elam Survey located about one-half mile west of the old Hart Cemetery. It consists of several graves of the Elam and Thompson families and at least one Hart. At the present, there are no markers to designate the graves or the family plot.
It is with obligation that the three graves of Mr. Will Lynch and two of his children who died with a fever some time before 1890 are mentioned. They are located on the W. M. Fanning Survey, just across the southeast borderline of the Wieland Community. Not knowing of any public record which has been made of the graves, this is an excellent opportunity to record them. There are no stone markers, but bois'arc stobs designate the graves.