Search billions of records on
Chapter One

Here begins the DIARY of Dora Edith Boyce. Her DIARY is in three different "notebooks", which have been combined into this record. Added to this are various comments by others and Dora's and Wilford Sr.'s comments on their 50th Wedding anniversary.

(Memories of Dora Edith Boyce in 50th Wedding Commemorative)

President Wilford Woodruff was the Prophet of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, from 1889-1898, when Dora was born in 1896.

A long time ago in the year 1896, June 14th, on Sunday, a tiny daughter was born to an already crowded home. She was the 12th child and ninth girl of John and Ella Eugenia Despain Boyce. She was named Dora Edith and grew into a young woman in Granite, Utah, starting school in a one room school house situated behind the old Granite Ward house, which her father helped to build. I was that little girl and it seems like yesterday that my younger brother Dan began school the same day I did; I was eight and he was six years old. Because of poor health, I did not begin schooling at six, but I could read and write, so I caught up with pupils my age. . . . I had the usual duties to do each day, as I got older - wash dishes, gather chips and wood for the old wood-burner stove.[One of Sears Roebuck's finest in 1909, cost $29.86.] We carried water in tin buckets from an irrigation ditch a block away from the house. We would wash the day it was our turn to use the irrigation water. We scrubbed and boiled the clothes, using homemade lye soap. This strong soap was used for bathing and hair shampooing also. It got us clean but was hard on our skin. In spite of all the work, we found time to play and read and sing around a bonfire on spring nights when the moon was full. We would all sing around the organ in winter.

Lorenzo Snow was the Prophet from 1898-1901.

Dear Diary--This lovely morning I am going to condense a few old notebooks. My diaries began in 1909. I was old enough to have written better but my experience had been very limited. This is part of it.

Joseph F. Smith was the prophet from 1901-1918.

Thurs. Eve. April Fools Evening 1909 Dear Diary: This is a new book. I just finished one begun in 1908. I just loved it, too. I could talk my heart out as tho to a friend. I intend to tell you everything too. I'm supposed to do the dishes but until the water heats, I will write. I had to gather chips to kindle the fire. There is a dance tomorrow night. I hope I can go. It's to be an old fashioned costume dance. I may have to babysit. I've gone to school every day since we were out of quarantine. We had a bad dose of Scarlet Fever. Poor mama. Had to wait on four of us (Joel, me, Dan & Leona) then change her clothes and care for those who were well. We were pretty sick I'm afraid. Today Miss Fox had us take an exam then threw our papers in the waste basket saying, "I hope you enjoyed April Fools."

Here is a letter from my cousin Laura Despain. Granite, Utah, April 2, 1909 Dear Cousin Dora: Don't you think Hattie Parry is silly? She hangs around Erma Despain all the time. Erma doesn't like her. Lets be friends and not go with Hattie: even if she asks us to.

Jean, my big sister, is nearly 19, Laurie came out from Salt Lake last night and brought candy and laughter as she always does. My! It certainly does seem good to have her home again. I miss Mabel too. She works in Sandy. Mother and I will hitch up Bess to the buggy and drive the five miles, maybe today. Chas. Ham called up this morning. He tried to get me last night. Maybe he will come to the dance tonight.


I was picking berries, mother passed me on her way to Relief Society wearing a new purple dress. She was so beautiful and sweet.. I was happy to have such a beautiful, wonderful mother. I thought "I never want to disappoint her." Rows of big shade trees boarded the fruit orchard for wind breaks. Every year several of these were struck by lightening. There always chores and plenty of work to keep us out of mischief. This was part of our parent's plan to keep us busy. In 1908 eleven in our household, including Verna and her three children, had scarlet fever. We were quarantined for eleven weeks. Dora was the first to become ill. She was so very sick and I remember I felt so sorry for her and couldn't do anything for her. My sister Dora was one of the most ardent "book worms" I have ever known, at every opportunity she would grab a book and run to one of her retreats in the orchard or in one of the huge shade trees. When she was needed by mother or one of the older sisters I was sent to find her because I knew most of her hiding places. During the berry season Dora and I picked berries side by side every year of our young lives and we were always competing. About the only way I could beat her was to be out in the berry patch ahead of her. Other happy times were the times we spent playing "Run Sheep Run". This was a beautiful area to call home. It was on a bench near the mouth of Little Cottonwood, Bell and Dry Creek Canyons. The stream that came out was partially dammed and diverted into a beautiful meadow and formed a pond. Once a year a sleigh ride was a must - that of riding behind the friskiest team of horses. Sleigh Bells Jingling!

(Memories of Dora Edith Boyce in 50th Wedding Commemorative)

After graduating from eighth grade (with Amy and Erma Despain, Hattie Parry and others), I went to High School in Morgan my first year and stayed with my sister, Jean, and her husband, Wallace Clark.

Sunday Eve., April 4, 1909
I went to S. school this morning. Now since dinner work is over I must study. Lavetta called me tonite. She wanted to talk to Joel. She lives in Sandy. She is sure pretty. Willard Ham is coming up from Sandy to drive a freight wagon for father. Joel is over to Della's with Harold. Easter next Sunday. Vida and I will color eggs next Sat. The ward had a farewell party for Henry Beckstead. [Westover, Adele B. & J. Morris Richards. UNFLINCHING COURAGE, priv. prnt., und. unp. p. 636 ff..] All the older folks went but my shoes were too ragged to go to a dance. Amy, Ruth, Ethel, Erma and the rest of the crowd were there. Maybe I can go next time. Amy played for the boys to sing. Amy goes with Norval Harwood. Willis Park came home with us. We seem to be having spats in school but they don't last long.

Easter Sunday, April 11, 1909 We had a lot of fun today. Leona, Dan and Laron all helped color eggs then hid them so the kids could find them. There has been so many dishes to wash--I've had to do them. It was snowing off and on all day. I got a telephone call from Chick Ham and Earl White. Earl is cute but so silly. I told Willard if Chick and Murrel stood one on the other they might be as tall as a man. He laughed and laughed.

Mattie Cazier

Wed. 14, 1909 Mother most always gets breakfast. I put up my lunch and rush to school. I am a selfish brute--never giving mother a chance to rest. She is getting so pale and looks more fatigued every day. It is beautiful this morning. Birds are singing, sun shining brightly. Gosh! The sunsets--you should see the sunsets! Radiant--so many colors. I must hurry to work. I have my gloves and pruners. Will clip out the dry one in the raspberries. It is Arbor Day. The family washing is underway . I guess Leona will turn the wringer and washer. Dan is helping me in the berries. Pearl, Ira's wife gives me music lessons, also Amy takes them. How I love to sit out by the little gate--five trees from the house--to watch the sun set, write and dream. Danny is raking the flower garden. LaVon is crying. That is Ben and Maud's baby. They are visiting awhile. Our Religion class is putting on a program. Clarence Farschow and I have to sing. It is my turn to rake awhile. The flowers are coming up. Spring is here and I am so happy.

Sat. Eve I'm alone in kitchen--floor to sweep. I must write awhile then sweep awhile or Mabel will blow out the light and I will have to go to bed. Verna and children are with us. We took a pie and cake to Mrs. Hughes. They have Scarlet Fever: they are so in need.

Sunday, April 18, 1909 I sure have a hard time getting the dishes done. Dishes, dishes, I surely get sick of them. Gathering chips for a fire to heat the water. Uncle Ray Despain is our Sunday School teacher. There was 23 in class today-- 30 enrolled. I saw Uncle Walter Despain on my way to S. school. He and Ray are mother's half-brothers. I must wash dishes and get dinner. Peeling potatoes takes so long. With so many to cook for. Ben and Verna, Maud and Ben and kids. Sure keeps us busy. Chick Ham, Earl and Murrel called me up. Maud teased them awhile. She is lots of fun too so is Verna. All are on their way to Mutual--so long I must go too.

Sunday 25, 1909 I helped with breakfast then went to S. school. We were supposed to play a ball game with Riverton last week. They didn't come so we won.

Monday Maud is baking bread. I'm watching it. When it is done I'll go to bed. In school Clarence and Lawrence were silly-- putting up their foreheads. I asked them if they knew what that meant. They said "no." It means I love you. If you place your finger by your right eye, it means I love you and by the left eye, I hate you. How foolish we kids are. Ben and Wick aren't home from the canyon yet. They take six or eight horses on a wagon and haul ore from Alta. They start out at 2 or 3 AM and very often aren't back until midnight. It is dangerous-- snow slides, mud holes, etc. Miss Fox our school teacher brought her sister to school today. She is about our age. Hattie has made her a good friend. (I guess they are Ruth May Fox's daughters). I must run over to Pearl's and get my mutual lesson. My shoes are worn out again but I found a pair Jean brought from Harlan's so will make them do for awhile. Never enough money to keep us in shoes and everything. Goodness--There's so many of us.

Tues., May 4, 1909 We went to a surprise party on Erma Despain last week. It was raining so we took the horse and buggy as far as Maxfield's then walked with the rest of the crowd. They were Joel, Harold, Amy, Ruth, Ethel Nieley, Frank Cowley and ever so many. We played games and sang songs and ate cake and ice cream till we were too full. We thought we would never get home, the horse was so balky.

1954 "Reminiscing" Thus day by day, to school and back, carrying my diary with me, writing while walking or stopping under the lovely old shade trees to write a few words. A long hike taken by school for May Day, up past the second meadow up Bell Canyon to the falls. Of course my diary was there. So wrote in it when no one was around. Couldn't go to the dance at night because I had to take care of Ira Judd who was just a tiny baby. We played baseball with Riverton also basketball with Draper and W. Jordan, some times losing or winning as the case may be. Unless I describe our farm and its surroundings no one reading this will realize how lovely it was to a child. Only words can convey pictures and they must be descriptive.

We lived on the Bench it was called, five miles east of Sandy City. Eighteen miles South East of Salt Lake. My grandfather, Solomon J. Despain was among the first settlers there. He ran the Granite Rock quarry where the stone for the temple and assembly hall were quarried. He lived at the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon where mother was raised with a dozen brothers and sisters. She used to herd cows and goats with her brothers among the foothills. She had one old nanny goat that bunted her over if she ever milked a cow or goat before her. Grandfather owned most of the land in the small town of Granite and as his boys grew up and married they settled on 80 acres each-- Alvin and Oscar about 3 miles west of the quarry and also Joseph and Aunt Susan's boys. Father bought an 80 from grandpa and proceeded to raise his family of fifteen children there. Before the land reverted to the fellow who held the mortgages, all the family were nearly grown. The youngest about twelve years. Laron, Dan and Leona weren't married. I was 23 before I got married--about six years too late. I'm wandering again. Our house consisted of five rooms, and a summer kitchen. We set a table for 15-20 people every day during the summer and ate our meals all outdoors on the lawn, in the shade of poplars and cottonwood trees. Our house and lawn were surrounded by enormous shade trees. Just behind them were fruit trees then another row of shade trees clear around the farm. It was lovely when all were in leaf with birds flitting about singing their joyous songs. We had such brilliant sunsets on or over Great Salt Lake. We could see the city of Salt Lake so plainly at night. As a youngster I stood on top of the shed looking to the North East & West and wondered if I would ever see what was beyond those towering mountains. Father put 20 acres in orchard (berries) and all trees were getting pretty old by the time I was grown. The rest of the eighty he put into hay, grain and pasture. We had plenty of time and room to grow in. We spent our summers gathering and packing the fruit, berries to thin and trim each Spring, also the trees. We were busy most of the time which was good for us. I pity these city children with so little to do.

May 5, 1909 We are so busy today. Joel is white-washing and I have been scrubbing cupboards, bottles. I'm tired because these old shoes hurt my feet so. I've been telling Amy the book of Ishmael. She came over to borrow some flour so I told her a few chapters. Jean is calling so I must get the dishes done. Have to make fire from chips to heat the water.

May 7, 1909 It certainly does seem nice to have the whole family here once more. Mildred is home with her husband and baby Lyle. George Baugh is so jolly. The baby is so sweet and seems so old fashioned. He keeps us giggling. Mother has been away to Salt Lake. It is good to have her home. It is so lonesome when she is away. She is going away again. She can't stand so much noise with all us kids. It makes her nervous. Mildred must be 6 ft. tall and 200 lbs. in weight. She is so big. I've read a few chapters in Ishmael today. It is a beautiful story. It is so intensely interesting. No one has called me up all day. I guess they are tired of me. I haven't any friends because I'm not sociable with people. I wish my parents loved and appreciated me a little. Jean is writing too. I bet she is writing to Henry Beckstead who is on a mission.

Tuesday, June 8, 1909 Went over to Amy's this evening. Norval Harwood and Glynn Despain, Amy's brother, asked us to go horseback riding. When we got home the Ringwood Bros., with guitars, were to come over and play for us. Amy and Audrey both play the piano beautifully.[This piano is from the 1909 Sears Roebuck "wish book" for $ 87.45] I wish I could play better. So must take a lot of lessons and more practicing but I guess I dream too much.

June 14, 1909 A week ago today Hattie Egbert and Earl Gillett were married. They gave a dance in the ward house. I had a lot of fun. I just love to dance. Today is my birthday. How old I am--Oh dear--I got a kiss from mother and some spanks. We went to Wandemere where we went on the Shoot the Shoots, roller coaster, also roller skating. Some kid caught his skate in mine and I fell flat on my back-- losing all my hair pins. Darn, it sure was embarrassing. Ethel Neeley and Amy Despain went with us in the buggy. We sure had fun. We gave a farewell party for Marie Dailey. She went home to Idaho. Been picking strawberries and the cherries will soon be ripe.

July 4, Sunday I have a new white dress. I sure love it. I brought Erma Despain home with me after Sunday School. She is Uncle Edgar's daughter. We filled up on cherries after dinner. I stayed over night with her last week. They have such a lovely home. Pet and Lillias were home and are so pretty and have such pretty clothes.

(Memories of Dora Edith Boyce in 50th Wedding Commemorative)

I graduated from Jordan High School in 1916.We drove a pony and light buggy one year to high school.[From Sears Roebuck in 1909, $77.45] The other years we caught an old wagon with a white top, called a bus, each morning at 8:00 am. If we missed it, we would have to walk five miles to Sandy. Some walk, but we enjoyed it! Nathaniel Jones, a neighbor, was our driver. We didn't miss the bus very often. As a family, we attended Church meetings regularly: Primary, MIA, Sunday School, Sacrament meetings. This kept us out of mischief. Soon after graduation, I received a telegram from the Superintendent of Schools of Millard County offering me a second grade to teach in Kanosh. This telegram changed my life! I was working at the Telephone Company and staying with my brother Ben and his wife Maud in Salt Lake City. I quickly packed my few belongings, phoned mother to tell hermy plans and caught the train to Oasis, near Delta, and then took the mail bus to Fillmore, and then on to Kanosh. After finding a place for room and board, I began teaching on Monday.

Kanosh, Utah, Sept. 26, 1916 Yes, this is Kanosh! Millard Co., Utah. Who would have guessed two weeks ago I would pick up and leave Granite suddenly? Tuesday of last week I was in Wasatch with mama. Tues. Of this week I (had) a strenuous day in the school room!! No wonder teachers look old so young. I'll have grey hair by Spring, I'm sure. The Supt. may scurry me home when he visits next week. The first day is the worst, or the first week! How to get order from 30-35 second graders when you ask for it is something I must work on. Mrs. Elmer George my landlady, has been visiting. We talked on every subject--matrimony, polygamy, sex, religion, etc. Elmer went to the show and we got acquainted. This is my first trip out of Salt Lake County. I got a letter from Supt. Hammond telling me I had a school if I wanted it. Of course I did. I had been staying with Ben and Maud while working in the Telephone Office up town. I told them, the family, I would take the job then phoned mama I was going. Ida Clark helped me get the job. She had another school in Boulder, so after sending a telegram accepting the position, shopping and packing, I caught the train at 11:00 PM Saturday for Oasis, Utah. Ben said maybe I would see lots of Indians or even teach them. Kanosh was an Indian Chief down there, but I was anxious to go. The country was dark except the moonlight helped a little to tell what kind of country I went through. Sandy, American Fork, Provo, Nephi, arrived in Oasis 6:15 AM. Waited for a stage to Fillmore. From Oasis to Fillmore mostly prairie country--no towns until we got to Holden. Sand up to the car hubs and the wind blew. Got in Fillmore 11:00 AM. Went to the George Hotel, washed, ate dinner and caught the stage at 2:00 for Kanosh. Arrived at 3:15. Went to the hotel. Met Miss Belle Whatcott a school teacher. Found a place to board and room so here I am. Met Mr. Paxton, the school principal--also Miss Foster. She helped me plan first week's work. She had taught six years. Three cooked meals a day--boy!

Sunday, Oct. 8, 1916 [This is Dora Boyce's first school in Kanosh, Millard County, Utah. This is the second grade 1916-1917. She remembered some of the students: Zella, Don H., V. Christensen, L. George, Ruth Watts. B. Rappleye. Dora looks like a rather stern teacher (or bewildered?) in this photo.]

Two weeks of teaching. New experiences every day. Two weeks older. One can chop wood, milk cows and feed animals. Here it doesn't matter if your nose shines. Every one has one. A shiny nose, I mean. Tonight I'm not where I was two weeks ago. We, Ethella Foster & I have moved twice since writing in here. It's funny! Last Sunday we listened to S. School, sitting on our trunks in a vacant room in the school house. The church uses the school house for all meetings except Sacrament meetings. Two homesick girls, laughing and nearly crying at the silly predicament we were in. Mr. Paxton, our principal, was in favor of us finding a room where we could keep house. The school had one so we hauled our trunks over there then found out the school board was against it, for obvious reasons--boys mostly. We hunted for a room, stove, bed, etc. We slept over night at Sis. Hopkins, but Sunday was a nightmare. Mr. Paxton said Sister Pryor would let us have a room, so again we moved our trunks. They were heavy too but we managed. Our stove next. We sat on wooden crates for chairs and another one for a table. Mrs. Hopkins bottled peas and jelly. We just paid for the sugar and bottles. She is a dear old soul. A friend in need. Mrs. Elmer George put up 1-1/2 gal. Of green tomato preserves for sugar only. It is a treat. We can get tomatoes any time free. Also prunes and etc. Only I have a severe cold. Have had it all week. I took a bath then chopped wood for Sis. Hopkins. She lives alone. Then we washed clothes Saturday. Then took a hot bath, drank ginger tea & perspired all night, but feel better this morning. Ethella went to Sunday school and got breakfast for us after. Miss Whatcott, Lizzie George & Ethella have gone to visit a sick friend. I'm keeping the "home fires" burning--sleeping and writing off and on. Cough is better. Must prepare plans for school. The Supt. Visited Thursday and said I was getting along nicely.

(Memories of Dora Edith Boyce in 50th Wedding Commemorative)

. . . Sunday night meeting was an important one for me. It was there I heard Wilford Whitaker sing so beautifully with his sister Grace. It was love at first sight for me. He was so handsome! Fifty years have passed and I love him more than at first. We have had many "ups and downs" but still we are going strong. His black, curly hair is nearly white (and so are his eyebrows). But he has the same sweet smile and a twinkle in his eye.

Sunday, October 8, 1916 (Continued) Oh boy! Friday two young fellows Wilford Whitaker and Priel George visited school. I wonder why? They surely found a mess--my cold ___. Had on a middy blouse & skirt and a room full of noisy kids. I blushed terribly but met the occasion and every thing went off beautifully. I got a letter from Mama, Dan, Ben and Maud all the same day. Was I happy to hear from them. Have answered them already.

(Wilford Whitaker's Autobiography)

. . . I accepted the call (mission to New Zealand), and went home to prepare. While there, I met a lovely, frizzy haired young lady in Church, by the name of Dora Edith Boyce. I decided she was the one for me. I courted her for two months.

(Wilford Whitaker's Memories in 50th Wedding Commemorative

. . . I met her in Church about the first Sunday after arriving home. I decided that she was the one for me before I had even met her. I courted her for two short months and we had an understanding that she would wait for me and we would be married when I returned.

(Memories of Dora Edith Boyce in 50th Wedding Commemorative)

. . . His call to the Mission Field in November made us realize we should have an "understanding". While waiting for him, I finished the year teaching in Kanosh, and wanting to be a better teacher, I attended summer school in Logan with Pearl Cowley, my cousin, and the Clark girls, Jean's sister-in-law. I taught first grade in North Morgan the following year, 1917-18, and then taught in South Morgan in 1918-19.

Sunday Nov. 4, 1916 Dear heart! I am so sad tonight. I've been home all day. Been up late every night last week. It is an injustice to my school children..There has been something going on every night this past week. Wilford leaves for his mission to New Zealand Tuesday. He is a darling boy. I've made a promise to him and expect to keep it. I still admire Claud but I think Wilford is my "true love." We are getting our first snow storm. We have had lovely weather. We have had the grandest walks and talks of our lives. He is so sweet and sensible. I know I love him. I can't write anymore. Ethella has just come in and Wilford will be here soon. Wilford brought Andy Avery over to meet Ethella. She is 7 or 8 years older than we are and Andy is about her age. They seem well suited for each other.

Monday, April 10, 1961 A little back history is in order. 1909 is the only year I have a record of. 1910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and first part of 16 my diaries were lost so will fill in with a little history during those and earlier years. I was born on a fruit and hay farm. Forty acres in grain and hay and 20 acres in fruit--apples, peaches, pears, prunes, cherries, quince, blackberries, red and black and yellow raspberries. It kept we children busy spring and summer, pruning and picking the fruit. We also had a large strawberry bed for a few years. Our farm was located about two miles west of Little Cottonwood canyon in the town of Granite--five miles east of Sandy. Butlerville on the North three or four miles and Crescent & Draper on the South a few miles. Our closest neighbors were Oscar Despain, mother's brother who married my half-sister Della. They had eleven children and we had eleven ages nearly the same so we were in and out of each home as though we lived there. Always welcome. Amy was my age. Harold was Joel's age and Asael & Audrey were Mable and Jean's age. Gladys was Leona's age and Inez Dan's--then two or three others. Della had such beautiful long hair--reached nearly to the floor, light brown. She kept it braided in two braids then encircled her head with them. When I was about eight years old I went to Canada to visit my half sister Mettie. She married George Butler from Butlerville in 1896, the year I was born. They were called to help colonize Canada with other saints. George and Mettie are still living. She is 83 and George 85. They have a lovely family--two girls and four or five boys. This trip on the train was so exciting for two youngsters. We went duck hunting with George one afternoon. It seemed like the moon came up right out of the ground. He left us a little while and coyotes were howling--of course we thought they were wolves coming for us. They lived in Hill Spring and Cardston. It was just prairie country--so different from the mountains and trees of Salt Lake County. We haven't had a chance to get very well acquainted, with them living so far away. My half sister Lylia married John Quist and had three children. John, Alma [Elmer] and Lillian & Lurina her sister, married a Winters. Their children are Rex, Harold and a daughter [Ida Elizabeth, and son Donald, b. & d. 1916]. They lived in Canada and Idaho. Lylia and John also lived there twice & Lylia had a hard life--their farms were poor and the husbands weren't good managers. The women worked in apple warehouses sorting and packing, picking, etc. When my sister Jean [`Cricket´] was married to Wallace Clark in the temple in 1912 we had a reception on our lawn. Japanese lanterns were strung among the trees, music furnished by Charley Clayton and his brother. They played guitars beautifully. We kids would sit entranced by the hour listening to them nearly every evening. I was such a romantic little soul any way. Wallace and Jean lived in Morgan. I went to my freshman year in high school there and lived with them. I met Wallace's brothers and sisters, Gladys, Ella, Lylia (Lela), Lawrence, Carlos and another boy (Myral). His father was married in polygamy. One family lived in Idaho. I later met a half brother, Vernon Clark. They were and are fine people.

My Journal Jan. 25, 1917

Leona's birthday and I've neglected to write to her. Poor little homesick kid--so young to be on her own. She has worked all winter at housework in Salt Lake but gets some advantages we miss; dances, theaters and good musicals. It doesn't hurt her but when I went thru it I felt indeed, as the whole world was against me. I was second maid in Mrs. Cohn's home. They owned a big store in Salt Lake. We, the help, ate in the kitchen--a lovely home and it had to be kept spotless. Then I clerked in the five and dime, also worked for the telephone company. The folks will move to Morgan next week. It will be better there than in the city. Wallace will keep father busy. How sad to have our farm foreclosed-- mortgage, or something. They won't have to go to the "poor farm" anyway. All their children were born there and reared. Many fond memories still remain for our old home. We younger ones can't to anything about it. We need to get out of Granite anyway--to try our wings elsewhere, I guess. Picture one's own life fifty years hence.

I haven't written in my diary since November. School as usual. I went home during the holidays and attended Institute. Met many teachers I had during high school. It was interesting to visit with them. I went out home for the last time--to see the family all together--that is father, mother, Mable, Dan, Laron and I. Joel was in Morgan and Leona was working in Salt Lake City. The last impression I had was the new fallen snow blanketing everything 2 to 3 ft. High. We had to shovel our way to the barns, coops and privy. Trees through all the orchard covered. How wonderful and clean everything looked. So full of hidden memories. Wish they could reveal their secrets!! They look like old men in the winter of life remembering the past. Dear Daddy is an example. I hope he lives 10 years longer--vigorous and healthy. He has aged so much this past year. Well it is way past midnight. Mrs. Pryor never can sleep a moment until we are in bed, she says. A week ago last Sunday night she even sent them home. She got so cross. We had just come from Golda's and it wasn't 11:30.

Tuesday night, March 1917 Preal will be here soon. The picture show is on so we will go. Sunday, Ethella Foster, Grace George, Preal and I went for a horse back ride. We went up to get some watercress then over to the Indian village. They are so interesting to talk to. They speak English pretty well. They work occasionally for the white folks in Kanosh. Their beds are on rough structures of sticks and a few ragged quilts and boxes for chairs or they sit on the dirt floor.