The History of Cabot
Cabot, Lonoke County, Arkansas
The Early Years
Cabot began as a water and fuel stop for the Cairo & Fulton Railroad in 1873. The Cairo & Fulton Railroad Company of Arkansas was created by a special act on 12 January 1853. The company was chartered 9 Febuary 1853 and by the early 1870's it had completed 301 miles from Missouri to Texas through Arkansas. The St. Louis Iron Mountain and Southern Railroad bought the route and gave Cabot it's plat and bill of assurance in 1891. It is believe Cabot was given its name from a railroad engineer. Cabot was also along the transportation route of The Butterfield Overland Stage from Memphis to Fort Smith and the legendary "Southwest Trail". The first business was built and owned by W. M. Patton. The Patton Brothers Mercantile opened in 1873 and family owned and operated until 1904. After leaving the mercantile W. M. Patton became the first president of the Bank of Cabot. The first doctor was James Milton Park. In 1888 a cotton gin was erected by James Neely. Cabot's first successful newspaper, The Guard, was published by Dr. G. W. Granberry in 1885. The earliest church in Cabot was the Baptist church. The First Baptist Church is still in existence today. On 9 November 1891 the City of Cabot was incorporated as the 139th city in Arkansas.
The County Lines
The county boarders changed in the area of what is now Northern Lonoke County. In 1860 the area was in Prairie County, in 1870 it was Pulaski and by 1880 in Lonoke County. A man could have lived in three different counties between 1860 and 1880 and never moved.
29 March 1976 Cabot was literally torn apart by several F3 - F4 tornados. The strongest of which ripped through the downtown area, killing five people, injuring others and causing millions of dollars worth of damage to businesses, homes and property.
McGraw, Shirley & Bevis, Carol. Lonoke County Arkansas, A Pictorial History. Virginia Beach, Virginia: The Donning Company Publishers, 1998.
Polston, Mike. "Cabot, Circa 1889". Lonoke County Historical Society Newsletter. Summer 1984.
The Townships in the area
York (including the City of Cabot)
Current township map - warning large file
1850 Prairie County Index -
1860 Prairie County Index - every name index for Caroline Township coming soon!
1870 Pulaski County Index -
1880 Lonoke County Index -
1900 Lonoke County Index -
1910 Lonoke County Index -
1920 Lonoke County Index -
1930 Lonoke County Index -
Apple Hill Cemetery
Camp Nelson Confederate Cemetery
Drunkard Brethren Cemetery
Mt. Carmel Cemetery
Mt. Tabor Cemetery
Mountain Springs Cemetery
Pleasant Hill Cemetery
Red Oak Cemetery
Old Austin Cemetery
Sixteenth Section Cemetery
Sumner Cemetery (Pulaski County)
Photographs - coming soon
Current Cabot Government Web Site
Cabot High School Alumni Association
Cabot School District
If you have any stories or pictures to add about Cabot or surrounding areas, need help in locating ancestors or have any suggestions to make this site better please contact me at email@example.com, please remove the 'nospam' when typing the address.
Copyright 2003 by Laurie Skillern
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids