Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   
  Venice, early village on the north Callaway county line, Missouri T49N R07W 1876
T49N R07W 1897
Section 05
The village of Venice was located in Callaway county, Missouri, on the northmost edge of the N 1/2 of the W 1/2 of Section 5, Township 49 North, Range 7 West. [click image for larger view]

All that remains today are a few memories of the village of Venice which is often listed as belonging to Audrain county but in truth was located in Callaway county. The original village name was Maiden which was for Charles Maiden, the first merchant to operate the country store there. The village was located on the south side of the road, which is in Callaway County.

While on the north side the farm land is in Audrain county. The name which was Venice, which was probably selected because to reach the village, for many years, a person on the county line road had to ford Big Loutre four times to reach the small village. No small feat in a rainy season.

Venice, as it is best known, was famous in the area for the John Bringle Park, north of the store. Mr. Bringle, a bachelor and former stage coach driver, kept this place free from undergrowth and weeds and used it as a game preserve, where his Martinsburg friends were invited several times a year to enjoy an all day hunt with him. After his death the place was sold and the beautiful old trees were cut for firewood and saw mill fodder.

Another interesting former Venice personality was John McGinness, the village smithy who shod the famous American saddle horse, Rex McDonald.

At one time Jacobi Brothers operated a store as a branch of their Martinsburg business. A number of other merchants followed until the building was finally closed.

N. M. Friedman operated a branch of his picture frame business in Venice as a saw mill.

John Coil, known by his friends as the "Mayor of Venice" for many years, moved to Auxvasse after his home, west of the store, was destroyed by fire.

John Johnson another "Mayor of Venice" had a home east of the store in Audrain county. It was kept as beautiful as a park.

For a number of years the mail was carried over a Star route from Martinsburg to Venice by Jackson Bane.

The following persons were merchants in Venice at some time but not necessarily in this order. Mr. and Mrs. M. L. Stuart, Mr. Terrance Ham, Mr. and Mrs. George Hamilton, Mr. Roy Munford and Mr. Ed Coil.

[Article by Nancy Hale Lee Stuart, January 2001, with notes accumulated by Grace Dillard who is in her 90's and lived in the Shamrock area. Grace was an area historian. She wrote a book on the Shamrock school. The book is in the Fulton Library.]