Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Obituaries   Cemeteries   Families   Sources


Subject: Some Early Bishop Biographies of Kentucky  Date: 05 Jan 1998
From: Anne Baker abaker@searnet.com

I am determined to get this thing thru.  It is plain text now. As I said
before I have or have access to all of these from the old books and can
easily type off for your page if you are interested thereby avoiding
any  conflict with other sites and/or copywrites.
===================

History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties, Indiana From the
Earliest Time to the Present; Together with Interesting Biographical
Sketches, Reminiscences, Notes, Etc.  Chicago, Goodspeed Bros., & Co.,
Publishers, 1884. Weston A. Goodspeed, Leroy C. Goodspeed, Charles L.
Goodspeed. Henry County.

MOSES ROBERTS, of Greenfield Township, came from Henry County, Ky., his
place of nativity, to Orange County, Ind. His parents were James and Sarah
(BISHOP) Roberts, who reared a family of six children, and of which Moses
was the third.  Mrs. Roberts died in 1847, and they were both members of
the Baptist Church.  Moses was the oldest son and was born October 24,
1825.  He lived with his mother until her death, and during his minority
acquired but a limited education.  His first marriage was to Miss Lucy F.
Zaring who bore him three children:  Nancy A., James B., and John H.  Her
death occurred December 27, 1863, and he was again married on March 20,
1864, this time to Miss Catharine King.  On the fourteenth of March in the
following year Mr. Roberts was again a widower by the death of his second
wife.  On August 14, following, Nancy J. Lowe became his third wife, and
to them five children have been born, named Byram L., Maranda E., William
B., Anna C., and Dora J., all living.  Mr. Roberts is one of the principal
farmers in the township, and with his wife is a member of the United
Brethren Church.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and a Democrat
in politics.
===================

Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 6th ed., 1887,
Henry Co.

ELISHA BISHOP, M. D., was born in Henry County December 5, 1848.  He is
the third of a family of four sons and two daughters born to Elisha and
Jemima (Lindsey) BISHOP.  His father, a farmer, was a native of Woodford
County, born in 1805; he took an active part in all political matters, and
was for many years a magistrate of Port Royal Precinct, Henry County; he
died in 1865, a member of the Missionary Baptist Church; his wife was a
native of Frederick County, Va., born near Winchester in 1816, was a member
of the same church as her husband, and died in 1870.  Subject's paternal
grandfather, Elisha BISHOP, was a native of Virginia, came to Kentucky
about the year 1790, and was one of the earliest settlers of Woodford
County, where he remained until 1806, moving thence to Henry County.  The
Doctor's maternal grandfather, Thomas Lindsey, was a native of Virginia,
came to Kentucky in 1814, and settled on a farm near Eminence, Henry
County, where he remained until his death in 1860.  The subject of this
sketch obtained his literary education in the high school of Eminence, and
was graduated from Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1879, and
commenced the practice of his chosen profession in the same year at
Turner's Station, Henry Co., Ky., where he successfully continues.  He was
united in marriage, October 22, 1882, with Lillie Carpenter, daughter of
S. P. Carpenter and Lucy (Evans) Carpenter, of Henry County, and the birth
of one son, July 11, 1884, followed their union.  Dr. BISHOP is a member
of the Baptist Church and also of the Masonic fraternity, Garfield Lodge,
Turner's Station, and a member of the State board of health.  W. T. BISHOP,
the third son of Elisha and Jemima BISHOP, is engaged in farming in
Bourbon County.  I. N. BISHOP, the fourth son, was a graduate of Bethel
College; he died in 1885, holding two county offices, and was a young man
of fine promise.
===================

Biographical Cyclopedia of the Commonwealth of Kentucky, Compiled and
Published by the John M. Gresham Company, Chicago--Philadelphia, 1896,
pp 8-10 [Henderson co]

CYRUS B. GRAHAM, M.D., an industrious and capable young physician of
Henderson, is a descendant of an old Scotch Covenanter family whose history
is traced back nearly two hundred years.
     In the early part of the Eighteenth Century, in what is now
Sterlingshire, Scotland, in Clan Grahame, 'neath the shadows of Ben Leith
and near the shores of beautiful Loch Katrine, was born Hugh Methven
Grahame.  He was closely related to the Grahames of Glasgow and was a man of
"plodding industry and sober worth."  He was one of the Scotch Covenanters,
with all of the sturdy independence of that class.  Regardless of the
persecution of the minions of Charles II, he would meet those of his
religious belief among the hills, "in some deep dell by rocks o'er
canopied," and worship God according to the dictates of their own
conscience, unawed by the fear of Church or State.  Hoping to enjoy greater
freedom of thought, Hugh Graham with his family emigrated to near Belfast,
Ireland, where his bones lie buried.  Here, in 1772, Richard Graham
(grandfather) was born.  The family then emigrated to America, settling in
South Carolina.  Richard Graham married Hannah BISHOP of North Carolina, and
with several other families started on the long journey through the
wilderness to Kentucky.  Many interesting stories of that journey have been
told by an old slave woman, "Aunt Sylvia," who was a litle[sic] girl at that
time, and accompanied the party.  The men of the company walked along beside
their wagons, which were drawn by slow moving oxen, the wagons containing
women, children and household goods.  It was a land of sunshine and
shadow--the shadow of the many inroads of the savage tribes still hung over
it, while the sunshine of the future in the homes to be built was with them.
Richard Graham was in that day considered a man of some means, and old Aunt
Sylvia often recounted with pride the fact that "Marse Dick had three
slaves, his wagon and oxen, one cow and a fine mare."
     Richard Graham located in what is now Hopkins County, and acquired a
large body of land, and was principally engaged in agricultural pursuits and
also operated a tannery, the only one in that section.  He had a brother who
was a soldier in the war of 1812, and who was wounded in the battle of New
Orleans.
     Richard Graham had three sons and six daughters; his eldest son,
Harvey, served in the Mexican war and also in the Union army in the war of
the rebellion.  The other sons, LeRoy and Cyrus (twins), were born in 1814
on the Graham plantation in Hopkins County.  LeRoy was tall and straight as
an arrow, with deep blue eyes and black curly hair; quick to take offense,
yet ever ready to forgive; fond of his dog and gun, and more devoted still
to the deep, majestic forest, where he would spend days and nights with no
companion save his faithful dog and trusty weapon.  He was known as a dead
shot with the rifle and kept that community supplied with game.
Passionately fond of music, on returning from his hunting expeditions, it
would not be long until he would have his violin, fife or clarionet[sic] in
his hand and repair to the "quarters," where he would get the darkies
together for a dance.  At the corn-huskings and other frolics he was a
welcome guest and an active participant.  He was also very fond of horses,
and took pride in owning the fastest horses in the neighborhood.  In fact,
his staid Presbyterian kinsfolk were shocked and often shook their heads at
LeRoy's sporting proclivities.
     With all his love for fun, which he inherited from his Irish mother, he
had enough of the canny Scot blood of his father to make him a close trader,
and in the matter of business he was shrewd and successful.  He bought
produce with which he loaded a flat-boat in Tradewater River and floated it
into the Ohio, thence down the Father of Waters to New Orleans, where he
disposed of his boat and cargo at a profit, and, as was the custom then, he
returned through the country on foot.
     LeRoy Graham was married three times.  His first wife was Alice Parker;
his second a Miss Slaton and his third a Miss King.  He was married to Alice
Parker in 1852.  She was a daughter of Benjamin and Mary Howard Jennings
Parker of Hopkins County, who were married January 5, 1826.  Benjamin Parker
was a Virginian and a son of Sir Peter Parker, a British Admiral, who
bombarded Charleston, S.C., in the Revolutionary war, and a man of
considerable wealth.  Mary Howard Jennings Parker was a daughter of Colonel
William Jennings and Marian Smith Jennings.  Colonel Jennings was Deputy
Governor of Virginia and also Superintendent of Indian Affairs in Colonial
Virginia.  He was the youngest son of Thomas Jennings, who was the second
son of William Jennings, Bart., of England.
     After his marriage LeRoy Graham located in Nebo, Hopkins County, and
engaged in dealing in tobacco and in general merchandising and was for years
postmaster of the place.  He was in business there for probably thirty-five
years, and was widely known by his uprightness and honorable dealing.  He
became a staid and quiet citizen and an exemplary member of the Methodist
Church.  During the war he was a Union man.  He belonged to neither of the
great political parties, but was independent in his political views.
     The result of his union with Alice Parker was three daughters and two
sons:  Jennie Graham, Frances Graham, Olive Graham, Cyrus B. Graham (subject
of this sketch), and Edwin R. Graham, who died in 1888.
     Cyrus B. Graham, whose long lines of ancestry are thus briefly
sketched, was born in Nebo, Hopkins County, Kentucky, in 1862.  His mother,
Alice (Parker) Graham, died when he was a babe.  As soon as he learned to
read he became an omnivorous reader of history and stories of travel, these
being the principal literature at hand.  At the age of fourteen he had read
Rollins' Ancient History, Gibbon's Rome and several works on Anatomy and
Physiology and Gudlow on Medical Examination.  He spent a greater portion of
his time at his grandmother Parker's home, where he found an excellent
library, and while there read everything he could get his hands on.  His
aunts used to say, "Thank the Lord, Cyrus has something to read, because
when he is reading we are all safe; when he is not he is sure to be in
mischief."
     At the age of fourteen his father sent him to the farm to bring the
horses.  When he arrived at the farm, two miles from town the sun was just
peeping over the treetops.  He hung the bridles on the fence corner and kept
on down the road until he reached his grandmother's, eight miles away.  He
was received with open arms, but with some misgivings as to the future of
the runaway boy.  He returned to Nebo the next fall and worked in a tobacco
factory and store until spring, reading at night until late hours.  The next
two years were spent in the factory, store or on the farm.  He rented land,
helped to clear it, sold the timber and the rails which he made, and in this
way obtained money with which to buy books; drove a team, plowed or did any
kind of work for a little pay; he helped to dig a well one winter when he
could find nothing else to do, receiving twenty five cents a day.  The next
three years he spent in traveling in the west and south, and what money he
made he spent for books, which he would read and then give away.  His valise
generally contained more books than clothing.  He worked at the carpenter
trade for two years and would often work till near midnight to make extra
money with which to buy books, and having access to good libraries he lost
no time in getting all he could out of them.
     He borrowed money and attended the Green River Academy at Madisonville
for five months, and at the end of the term received a certificate, and
taught school for six months.  He then went to Cumberland University,
Lebanon, Tennessee; was "elected" with three others to wash dishes, and for
this was allowed a small reduction in his board bill.  He remained in
college three years, teaching school occasionally and selling books during
vacation to procure money to defray his expenses.  He traveled extensively
over the south, visiting the colleges as a general agent, and did some
newspaper work.
     He took a short course in the Mobile College of Medicine; studied and
practiced under Dr. James P. Bone of Arlington, Tennessee; entered the
medical department of Vanderbilt University at Nashville, Tennessee, and was
graduated in the class of 1891.  He traveled for a wholesale drug house
during vacations and thus made money to pay his way through school.
     After receiving his license as a physician he located first at St.
Charles, Kentucky, and practiced for two years; removed thence to near
Nashville, Tennessee; and a few months later, October 4, 1893, was married
to Frances Duncan, daughter of Marion and Juliet (Mullins) Duncan of
Henderson, Kentucky, and located in that city.
     Dr. Graham is a popular young physician; a member of the Henderson
County Medical Association and a member of the Board of Health.  He has
every promise of the bright future which a man of his energy and industry
deserves.
===================

Text from Moore, W. T. (editor), Living Pulpit of the Christian Church.
Cincinnati: R. W. Carroll & Co., Publishers, 1871. Pages 537-538. This
online edition ¬ 1996, James L. McMillan. Used by permission. Henry
County.

WILLIAM THOMAS MOORE was born in Henry County, Kentucky, August 27, 1832.
His paternal ancestors were Irish; his maternal, Scotch. His immediate
parents were from Virginia. When nine years of age, his father died,
leaving a widow and six children, and, for a number of years, WILLIAM was
the chief dependence of the bereaved family. Thus early were the boy's
energies of body and mind called to grapple with toil and care; but,
doubtless, it was during these years that the foundation of his subsequent
successes was laid. From the necessities of his position, his education
was neglected, and, at eighteen years of age, his scholastic attainments
comprehended reading and writing--no more; but, having an innate thirst
for knowledge, he had read whatever books had come in his way--especially
had he read the Bible.

At eighteen, Mr. MOORE entered an academy at Newcastle, Kentucky, and,
having passed through a preparatory course of study there, and having
improved his financial affairs by teaching for a season, he entered
Bethany College, Virginia, in the autumn of 1855. In July, 1858, having
been chosen from a class of twenty-four to deliver the Valedictory
Address, he was graduated Bachelor of Arts. In October of the same year,
he was chosen pastor of the Church of Christ in Frankfort, Kentucky, and
remained its pastor till the spring of 1864, when he resigned, on account
of failing health.

In June, 1864, he was married to Miss MARY A. BISHOP, second daughter of
R. M. BISHOP, of Cincinnati, Ohio. On the first of January, 1865, his
health having greatly improved, Mr. MOORE accepted a call to the pastoral
work in the Church of Christ in Detroit, Michigan. Although his labors
there were being attended by the most encouraging success, yet, having
been elected to a Professorship in Kentucky University, he left Detroit in
February, 1866, and entered at once on the labors appointed him in the
University. Meanwhile, he had received a call from the Church of God,
Eighth and Walnut streets, Cincinnati, Ohio, and, having ascertained that,
for the present, the duties of his University Chair could be met by a
brief course of lectures in each session, he accepted the call of the
Church. He holds both offices at the present time, October, 1867.

Besides his almost continuous labors as pastor and evangelist, W. T. MOORE
has prepared and delivered a number of public addresses on a variety of
topics, some of which have been published, and widely circulated. He has
also edited a portion of A. CAMPBELL'S "Lectures on the Pentateuch," and
this volume of Discourses and Biographical Sketches. Amid these constant
and varied engagements, he has found leisure to toy slightly with the
Muses; nor have these coy nymphs rudely repelled his wooings. Several
short poems, chiefly lyric and elegiac, have found their way into print
and into public favor. His love of poetry and of music, and his
appreciation of the excellencies of both, rendered his services of
incalculable value in the compilation of the "Christian Hymn Book"--the
best extant collection of sacred sonnets in the English language.

The lessons of persevering toil learned in boyhood in the hill country of
Henry County, Kentucky, have not been lost, nor has the love of reading
that characterized the boy disappeared in the man. He believes in
progress, from the high even to the still higher, and illustrates his
faith by his works. Withal, he never seems to be busy; in fact, does not
seem to be doing any thing when out of the pulpit, nor intending to do any
thing; and yet he can be seldom, if ever, idle, as this brief record
abundantly attests. With no bustle or apparent motion, there is
execution--progress. Few men have accomplished more, in the same time, and
under similar circumstances, than has W. T. MOORE.

His manner in the pulpit, whether of action or utterance, indicates deep
earnestness. His style sometimes borders on the vehement, but never on the
declamatory. The points in his discourses are generally well chosen,
forcibly argued, and clearly illustrated, and, when practical, powerfully
enforced. But his success as a minister is owing much less to his logic
than to the warm and wide sympathy which pervades and vivifies it. His is
heart-power--a power without which the logic of Paul and the eloquence of
Apollos combined would fail to awaken the conscience of the impenitent
sinner, or arouse the energies of the careless believer.

With whatever is beautiful, and good, and true; with every thing that is
pitiable, or distressed, or down-fallen, or oppressed; with all that is
elevating, ennobling, hopeful, God has given to W. T. MOORE a quick, a
deep, an irresistible sympathy, so that he is ready to rejoice with the
happy, and to weep with those that weep. He is ever forward to engage in
whatever promises true advancement, and to share his last resources with
those he esteems worthy, but who have grown weary and lame, and have thus
fallen or faltered in the struggle of life.

[Note: In justice to the Editor of this work, it is proper to state that
this sketch of his life was written, at the request of the Publishers, by
Dr. L. L. Pinkerton, and appears just as he wrote it.]
===================

ROBT. TARR, farmer; P. O. Millersburg; was born near Carlisle, May 2,
1828, where his parents removed a short time before his birth, from
Bourbon County, returned in 1838 and settling the farm on which Mr. Tarr
now lives.  His father was John B. Tarr, a native of Nicholas, born
March 4, 1801; he of Charles Tarr, born upon the Eastern Shore of Maryland.
The wife of Charles was Miss BISHOP, who, soon after being united in
marriage, came to the western part of Nicholas County, on Hinkston, which
was soon after the year 1790, and became one of the prominent men of the
county at that early day.  In about 1831 he moved to Adams County, Ill.,
with all his family except a daughter, who married Richard Adair, "The
Tanner" of Nicholas County, and John B., the father of our subject, who
remained in the Blue Grass region, where he engaged in farming and
raised a family by Milly Turner. (See hist.)  The result of this union
was five sons and two daughters: Wm., born June 22, 1825.  He began
life a poor boy; his first enterprise was that of raising watermelons,
afterward engaged in framing upon rented land with his brother Robert,
when, after a few years, their labors having been crowned with success,
they dissolved partnership, each beginning business for himself; Wm.
subsequently engaged in distilling, trading and real estate speculation,
through which he has become one of the money kings of the Blue Grass
region; the second of the family was Charles, born Sept. 15, 1826, died
a young man; the subject of this sketch, who devoted his life to
agriculture and stock raising; he was for a number of years a director
in the Millersburg Bank, and at the death of the president he was elected
to that position; Martha, born Jan. 5, 1830, married Tice Hutzell, and
after his death, married a Mr. Penn, who is also deceased; James, born
Jan 21, 1832, married a Miss Piper and moved to Pettis County, Mo.,
where he died; his wife is now a Mrs. Porter, of Millersburg; John, a
resident of Flat Rock (see hist.); Mary E., born Aug. 30, 1841 became
the wife of Col. Sampson D. Archer, of Keokuk, Iowa, where he died and
where his family now reside.  The subject of this sketch was married
Sept. 5, 1861, to America Layson, daughter of Robt. Layson (deceased)
and Catharine Kennedy.  They have three children--Anna Lee, wife of Jas.
L. Shackelford, of Maysville, Robt. L. and John BISHOP.
===================

Solomon C. Davis, M. D., a practicing physician of Mount Vernon, Rockcastle
County, Ky., was born at Newhern, Va., January 16, 1847.  His father, Josephus
N. Davis, a native of Wythe County, Va., was born June 16, 1818; he was a
minister of some note in his native State, and was also a school teacher of
considerable ability, being a graduate of Bethany College, Bethany, Va..
About 1852 he moved to Madison County, Ky., where he resided about two years,
and then moved to Somerset, Pulaski County, residing in the later place
until 1869; he then moved to Wayne County, Ky., his present place of
residence, where he is devoting most of his time to the ministry.  He became
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church when quite young, and began his
ministerial labors in that denomination, but his religious views having
undergone a change, he affiliated with the Christian Church, and is a true
and firm supporter of its principles.  He is a son of Solomon Davis, a
native of Virginia, who came to Kentucky about 1852 and settled in Madison
County, where he died.  Josephus N. Davis was married about 1841 to Miss
Virginia Whitaker, a daughter of John and Margaret Whitaker, of Wythe
County, Va..  To their union were born eleven children, seven sons and four
daughters, viz:  Augustus N., Constantine C., Solomon C., Robert N., William
A., Mary E., Cleo A., Elinor V., Eliza M., Virginius N. and John P.  Their
parents are still living in Wayne County.  Solomon C. Davis was brought up
and educated in Somerset, Ky..  About 1867 he commenced to teach school, in
which occupation he was engaged until 1872, when he commenced the study of
medicine, and in 1877 entered the Ohio Medical College, where he graduated
in 1879.  He then located at Parmleysville, Wayne County, and practiced his
profession until 1881, when he went to Helenwood, Tenn., and practiced until
1883; he then moved to Mount Vernon, Rockcastle County, Ky., where he has
ever since been constantly engaged in the practice of his profession.  In
1886 he was appointed school commissioner of Rockcastle County, and elected
to that office in 1887.  He is a Master Mason, a Republican Politically, and
an elder in the Christian Church.  November 13, 1870, he married Amanda
Surber, a daughter of Isaac and Orpha (BISHOP) Surber, of Pulaski County.
They have three children: William T., Charles C. and Roberta.
===================

History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky, ed.
by William Henry Perrin,  O. L. Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1882.  p. 470.
[Bourbon County]  [Paris City and Precinct]

H. F. HIBLER, farmer, P. O. Paris; is a grandson of Joseph Hibler, a
native of New Jersey, and one of the early settlers in Bourbon County. He
settled in this precinct on the farm now owned by H. M. Roseberry.  His
wife was Jane Jacoby, who bore him two children, Adam S. and Emily.  Adam
S. Hibler, the father of H. F. was born on this farm in the year 1807, and
at the death of his father succeeded him.  His wife was Lucy Finch, who
bore him ten children, among whom was H. F., whose birth occurred in 1830.
Adam S. remained on this farm until 1854, when he removed to Midway, in
Woodford County, this State.  His death occurred at the above place, 1878.
Our subject, during several years of his early manhood, was engaged as a
drover, in charge of stock enroute for the Eastern market.  Jan. 25, 1855,
he married Mary E. Brindley, who was born in Ruddel's Mills Precinct,
daughter of Nicholas and Lucinda (Stivers) Brindley.  Mr. Brindley was a
native of Maryland, born Sept. 8, 1802, and married May 28, 1832.  When
he came to this county he was a poor man, but arose from a small beginning
until he became a wealthy man; he was successful in all his business
associations, which were uniformly crowned with pleasing results.  He was
upright and honest in his dealings, and died a Christian, being a member
and Elder in the Christian Church.  His death occurred 1846, Sept. 17;
is wife's May 30, 1849.  They had three children who came to maturity;
Benjamin F., who resides in Baltimore, a capitalist; Lucy G., who married
E. B. BISHOP, and located in New Haven, Conn.  She died 1874, leaving
three children.  Of the ten children born to Adam S. Hibler, Henry F., was
the eldest; in order of birth were Emily, Cynthia, Sallie, Joseph, Thomas,
Lovenia, Mary E., James, Harry and Lucy, all of whom grew up.  Lucy resides
in Midway, wife of Richard Starks, a druggist; Cynthia married David Robb,
of Versailles; Lovenia married Mr. Richard Richetts; Emma, Amos Parker;
Sallie, ex-Sheiff, ex-Mayor, B. F. Pullen.  Mr. and Mrs. Hibler located on
the farm they now own in March, 1855, and have since improved the home
surroundings to their present beauty; the farm consists of 328 acres.  They
have five sons: William F., James H., BISHOP, Edward and Henry.
===================

History of Lawrence, Orange and Washington Counties, Indiana From the
Earliest Time to the Present; Together with Interesting Biographical
Sketches, Reminiscences, Notes, Etc.  Chicago, Goodspeed Bros., & Co.,
Publishers, 1884. Weston A. Goodspeed, Leroy C. Goodspeed, Charles L.
Goodspeed. Shelby County.

JAMES FISHER, born in Washington County, Ind., January 30, 1822, is the
eldest of the ten children of John and Elizabeth (Walker) Fisher, who were
natives respectively of Shelby County, Ky., and Virginia.  Four sons of
these parents went to do battle for the right in the late war, all serving
with distinction, two meeting soldiers' deaths at the battle of Champion
Hills, and one dying in the hospital at Nashville. The only survivor of
the four is a resident of the Lone Star State.  James Fisher, subject of
this sketch, began for himself at the age of eleven years by working
around as a farm hand, which he continued until twenty-six, when Josephine
Finley, daughter of Jefferson and Miriam (Brooks) Finley, on the 20th of
January, 1848, became his wife.  Six children blessed this union, named
Miriam E., Amanda, John F., Lydia, Laura and Clara J.  These children were
left motherless March 16, 1868, and Mr. Fisher married for a second wife
Mrs. Amanda (Tegarden) BISHOP, daughter of Andrew Tegarden and widow of D.
BISHOP.  Three children, Henry W., James M. and Orna D., were born to this
union.  Mr. Fisher by hard work has secured a fine farm of 286 acres
[Northeast Township, Orange County, Indiana].  In politics he was formerly
a Whig, casting his first vote for Henry Clay, but is now a Republican.
===================

Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, ed. 8-B,
Pulaski County

G.W. Shadoan was born in Pulaski County, KY, July 1, 1851, a son of Reuben
and Sarah (BISHOP) Shadoan.  Reuben Shadoan was born in Wytheville, Wythe
County, VA, January 8, 1808.  He came to Kentucky when a child with his
parents and settled in Pulaski County, near the Cumberland river.  He was a
Baptist preacher and also carried on farming.  He died May 19, 1880.  His
father was John Shadoan.  Mrs. Sarah Shadoan, a native of Pulaski County,
KY, is a daughter of William BISHOP; the latter was born in Virginia, and
was one of the first settlers of Pulaski County.  G.W. Shadoan is of French
descent on the paternal side and Welsh on the maternal.  He received a good
education at the common schools and at the Masonic College, Somerset.  In
1808 he commenced teaching school, which occupation he followed about two
years.  He then clerked in a dry goods store in Somerset one year, when he

went to Louisville, KY, and took lessons in painting and drawing.  In 1872
he returned to Somerset and began reading law with Judge Denton; he was
admitted to the bar in 1875, and in 1870 was elected superintendent of the
schools of Pulaski County, serving one term.  In 1878 he was elected county
attorney; served one term of four years and in 1882 was re-elected, serving
until 1886.  September 3, 1873, he married Glorvinia M. Sawyers, of
Tennessee, a daughter of Major T.L.W. and Louisa Sawyers.  Seven children
have blessed their union, viz: Sarah L., Minnie, James H., Fulton, Thomas,
an infant, and Georgia, deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Shadoan are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church North.  Politically he is a Republican.
===================

History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky, ed.
by William Henry Perrin,  O. L. Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1882.  p. 772.
[Nicholas County]  [Lower Blue Licks Precinct]

SIMON KENTON, farmer, P. O. Blue Licks, was born in Nicholas County, Ky.,
Sept. 16, 1817, to William and Jane (Burden) Kenton, natives of Kentucky.
She died in 1855; he in 1857; he was a son of Mark Kenton, brother to
Simon Kenton, the noted Indian fighter.  Simon the subject of this sketch
was the second of a family of ten children.  His education was limited to
such as could be obtained in the common schools at that early day.  He
entered upon the battle of life, by taking upon himself the duties of a
farm life, which he has always followed, with the addition of trading
extensively in mules and horses, and later, shipping tobacco.  He is one
of the most prominent and enterprising farmers in the precinct, and
owns 500 acres of choice farm land, situated on the banks of Licking river.
He was married in Nicholas County, Jan. 26, 1841, to Hannah BISHOP, who
was born in Harrison County, in Sept. 1820, to Josiah and Elizabeth
(Watton) BISHOP, natives of Maryland.  By this marriage he is the father
of eight children, viz: William J., Nancy J., Eldridge, Elizabeth,
Mahulda, Thomas B., Lafayette and Simeon B.  Mr. Kenton is a member of
the pioneer association of the county, and was one of the committee to
represent that association before the Legislature at Frankfort, in the
interest of the monument about to be erected in commemoration of the battle
at Blue Licks.  Religiously, himself and family are connected with the
Methodist Church at Blue Licks.  He is also a member of the Masonic Order
of that place.  Politically he is a Republican.
===================

Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 5th ed., 1887,
Jessamine Co.

PLEASANT COOK is a son of Thomas and Nancy (Easely) Cook.  The father, a
native of Virginia, was born in 1793, and died June 2, 1880; the mother, a
native of Jessamine County, Ky., died in 1839.  They were the parents of
four children: Pleasant, Sarah Jane (Mrs. James Bryant), Mary Ellen (Mrs.
Thomas Smith) and Philip.  The father of Thomas Cook, Philip Cook, was also
a native of Virginia, and married a Miss Doggins, by whom he had ten
children.  On coming from Virginia to Kentucky he first located in Fayette
County, then lived in Jessamine County, but died in Woodford County.  The
second marriage of Thomas Cook was to Paulina Bryant about 1841.  She was
the daughter of James and Nancy (Easely) Bryant, and was [sic] borne Mr.
Cook four children: Nancy (Mrs. William Ryley), Mary (Mrs. John Oates),
George Ann (Mrs. Price BISHOP) and William T.  April 1, 1832, Pleasant Cook
was brought to Jessamine County, the family settling on the line of
Woodford County.  At the age of sixteen he was apprenticed to a carpenter,
Berry Holliway, of Woodford County, and at the age of twenty-one began on
his own account and followed the trade for twenty-one years.  In 1860 he
engaged in farming on his present place of 230 acres.  He married, October
7, 1852, Miss Mary Chowning, daughter of Robert and Mary (Bryant) Chowning,
and to the marriage have been born the following children: John, Melvin,
James, Charles and Mamie.
===================

History of Bourbon, Scott, Harrison and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky, ed.
by William Henry Perrin,  O. L. Baskin & Co., Chicago, 1882.  p. 6910.
[Harrison County]   [Sylvan Dell Precinct]

HENRY H. HARDING, farmer, P. O. Shady Nook, born in Harrison County, Jan.
31, 1831; his grandfather Thomas Harding came from North Carolina at an
early day, and settled in Nicholas County, near Hooktown, where he resided
till [sic] he fell a victim in 1833 to that dreaded scourge, the cholera;
his father Wm. Harding survived the year of the great epidemic and was
carried off in 1835 by consumption.  Henry H. Harding was raised on a farm
and acquired the trade of cooper before he reached his majority; he married
first Nancy E., daughter of William and Mary (Maffit) BISHOP, of Harrison
County; four children were born to them, two of whom, Napoleon B. and
Samantha Ann, are living; he next married Elizabeth, daughter of Jno. and
Visa (Friman) Florence, of Harrison County; they have eight children, all
living, named and aged respectively: Thomas McF., 20; Berry M., 18; Jno.
W., 15; Visa W., 13; Ira Ecty, 12; Luther, 7; Nannie M., 5; Henry N., 2;
self and wife members of Republican Christian Church.  Mr. Harding is a
member of the Orient (Masonic) Lodge, of Nicholas County, in which Lodge
he now holds the office of Junior Warden; in 1861 he was elected Constable
by the Republican party and served for five years.
===========================

Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, ed. 8-B,
Whitley County

William M. Walters, attorney-at-law, Williamsburg, Ky., was born in Whitley
County, Ky., July 17, 1852.  His father, William Walters, was born in Wayne
County, Ky., in 1822.  The latter married Jane B. BISHOP, a native of
Whitley County, born April 22, 1822.  They were the parents of three
children, viz: James D., Silas S. and William M.  William M. Walters was
reared on the farm and educated in the common schools.  In 1873 he commenced
the study of law at Pineville, Ky., and was admitted to the bar in 1874.  He
then located at Staunton, where he began the practice of his chosen
profession.  In 1880 he was elected county attorney of Powell County, and
served until 1882, when he received an appointment in the Interior
Department of Washington City, which position he filled until 1887.  He then
resigned and removed to Williamsburg, Whitley County, Ky., and resumed the
practice of law.  May 6, 1877, he married Susan M. Caudill, a daughter of
Stephen J. and Elizabeth (Adams) Caudill, of Letcher County, Ky.  Four
children have blessed their union, viz: Annie, Janie, Maggie and Bessie.  In
politics Mr. Walters is a Republican.
===================

Kentucky:  A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 3rd ed.,
1886.  Barren County.

SIDNEY W. HOLMAN was born June 13, 1842, in Barren County, Ky., where he
now resides.  His father, Joseph H. Holman, was born in 1809, in Barren
County; was a magistrate and member of the court of claims, and died in
1870.  He lost eight slaves by the late war.  He married Nancy D.,
daughter of Franklin Settle, of Barren County.  She was born July 12,
1819, and their offspring are Eveline (Edmunds), James B., Sidney W.,
Christopher T., Franklin H., Edmund B., and Jessie S. (BISHOP).
December 25, 1861, Sidney W. married Martha A., daughter of Charles P.
and Elizabeth (Eubank) Edmunds, of Barren County.  She was born June 23,
1839, and has borne her husband the following children: James C., Henry
M., Willie H., Paul W., John C. (deceased), Julian B., (deceased), Alice
M. (deceased), and Mintie M.  In the commencement of his business career
our subject had to rely upon his own exertions, having an even start
with the world, but by industry, frugality and strict business habits he
is now in comfortable circumstances.  He is a farmer and has 166 acres
of productive and well improved land.  He is a zealous member of the
Christian Church, and in politics a Democrat.
=============================

Kentucky: A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, ed. 8-B, 1887
Fleming County

HENRY PICKRELL, was born in Fleming County, Ky., in 1863, and is the younger
of two children born to Greenup and Eliza (Jones) Pickrell.  Greenup
Pickrell, also a native of Fleming County, was born July 10, 1817, and is a
son of William Pickrell, who was born in Virginia.  Greenup Pickrell is a
farmer by occupation and lives in Carr's, Lewis County, Ky.  He was a
magistrate of Hillsboro Precinct for over twenty years; he also served in
the Federal army during the late war.  Mrs. Eliza Pickrell is a daughter of
Robert and Permelia (Cooper) Kissick; she was born in 1822 and is still
living.  Henry Pickrell moved to Lewis County, Ky., in 1871, where he lived
until 1885, having been engaged in teaching from 1882 until 1885; in the
latter year he moved to Fleming County and took charge of the Gazette, his
brother, Monroe, acting as associate editor.  Monroe Pickrell was born July
1, 1860, and previous to 1885 was engaged in farming.  In April, 1885, Henry
Pickrell married Miss Ella BISHOP, a daughter of Alexander BISHOP, of
Fleming County.
===================

Kentucky:  A History of the State, Battle, Perrin, & Kniffin, 3rd ed.,
1886.  Metcalfe County.

MRS. MARTHA L. IRVIN was born in Metcalfe (then Barren) County, July 12,
1844.  Her father, John Forbes, was born about 1814, also in Metcalfe
County (then Barren), Ky., where he died about 1855. He was a son of
John Forbes, who was a native of Virginia and of English descent.  John
Forbes was twice married; his first wife, whom he married in 1835, was
Elizabeth, daughter of Peter and Susan (Irvin) Bunnel.  To this union
were born Louisa (Smith), Sarah (Garvin), Martha L., (our subject),
Margaret (BISHOP) and Charles G.  He was next married to Nancy Jewell.
Our subject was married, November 15, 1863, to Joel, son of William and
Sarah (Forbes) Irvin.  He was born March 2, 1822.  To them were born
John W., Dora B. and Charles.  Mrs. Irvin has at present 128 acres of
productive land, besides which she has one of the best houses in her
section.  She has been for twenty-two years a member of the Christian
Church.
==================

Kentucky: A History of the State. Perrin, Battle & Kniffin, 2nd ed.,1885,
Webster Co.

E.G. BISHOP, editor of the Webster County Record, was born September
28, 1857, in Hopkins County, Ky.  His father, Isaac W. BISHOP, who was a
surveyor by profession, and who also engaged in agricultural pursuits,
died in 1876, aged fifty-seven years.  E.G. was reared on his father's farm,
and, at the age of thirteen, commenced to work at the printing trade at
Greenville, and followed this trade most of the time until 1880, when he
established his present paper, which now has a circulation of about
1,100.
===================

[Typed by Anne Baker:]

Kentucky Gen & Bio Vol IV..Caldwell, Crittenden, Hopkins, Livingston, Logan,
Lyon, Simpson, Union and Webster Co - Battle, Perrin, Kniffin 1885
(abstract)

Marcellus W. Bishop was born in Madisonville, Hopkins Co., Ky Jan 25, 1845 &
is the 2nd of 4 living children born to Orlean and Sarah J. (Woodson) Bishop;
the former a native of Hopkins Co & the later of Harrodsburg (MERCER) Co.
Orlean Bishop remained on his father's farm until he was 18 years old, when
he was appointed deputy county clerk of Hopkins Co which he held until 1850
when he was elected County Clerk which position he held until his death
August 2, 1862 in his 52nd year...  at that time he owned a well improved
farm near Madisonville.

[Marcellus] and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church
South. He received a good education and was employed on farm until 17 years
old. He then opened a drug store at Madisonville.....  In 1872 he engaged in
the coal business being secretary of the Diamond Coal Company for 6-7 years.
In 1878 he opened a dry goods store at Madisonville. He also owns a farm near
the city. He married in 1873 to Miss Annie Ruby a native of Hopkins CO who
died in 1874. Mr. Bishop is an independent Democrat.