Tyra D and Rebecca (Wilburn) Bishop Family
The 150th anniversary of Shamrock-Liberty Christian Church was celebrated
Sept. 23  with more than 140 people from several states attending.
After a basket dinner, Ruth Erwin Stuart played some oldtime hymns on
the piano. Songs were sung by Betty Erwin Fort, Virginia Erwin Robinson and
Doug Erwin. The speaker was the Rev. Jim Cline from the Mineola Baptist Church.
Grace Dillard gave the history of the church and of Shamrock.
The first church was a log building near Loutre in Audrain County in
1839. In 1853, Mr. and Mrs. Tyra Bishop gave land for a church and cemetery
in Callaway County, and a frame building was constructed. In 1873, a new
building was erected; and the present structure was built in 1912.
The church was decorated with ferns, blooming plants, and cut flowers.
As part of the program, Forest Noel read a poem, "The Touch Of The Master."
The following prizes were given: oldest people present, Viola Keele,
past member, and Allie Weber, present member; and traveling the farthest was
Al Weber, San Pedro, Calif.
Names were drawn for old fans that were used in the church in the past
years. Angie Stiegman had decorated the fans with lace and flowers.
It was voted to have a basket dinner at Liberty Church next year on the
fourth Saturday in September.