Search billions of records on

Obituary Elieud Adolphus Bishop,
Montgomery County, Missouri, 28 Jun 1923

	Fulton Daily Sun, Callaway County, Missouri, 29 June 1923

Montgomery County Men In Bitter Fight.  Elliott Bishop Killed By John Miller
In Fist Fight Thursday Morning.  Miller Cut By Bishop Bros.  Throat Cut and
Fourteen Gashes Sustained - Miller Resting Well Friday Morning.

	Elliott Bishop, a prosperous young farmer six miles west of
Montgomery City, is dead and John Miller, farmer and mule buyer and
automobile man of Montgomery City, is in a serious condition from knife
wounds as the result of an argument arising over hogs of Bishop's  being in
Miller's corn field.
	The report of the trouble, as told over the telephone by Sheriff
Frank Haight of Montgomery County and others of that place, is that Bishop
and Miller had trouble Thursday morning over the hogs.  Miller severly beat
up Bishop and got in his car and drove to Montgomery City.  Bishop was sick
early in the summer or spring and was not in the best of health and whether
he was killed outright by the blows he received or whether his ill-health
was responsible is not known but he died on Thursday.
	Thursday afternoon Miller was talking with a brother of Bishop and
explained he did not wish to have any further trouble with the Bishops.  At
that time neither he nor the brother knew of the death of Elliott Bishop.
While they were talking two other brothers came up, it is said, and attacked
Miller.  He was cut in fourteen places, including a slash across his throat,
across the body and his back.
	Friday morning Miller was resting nicely and it was hoped he would
recover.  He is well known in Callaway county, where he often visits and
where he has bought mules for the firm of Miller & Cahn.  He was here to
attend the funeral services of W.E. Blattner last Tuesday.
	Mr. Bishop was the son of Sam Bishop and the father of five or six
children.  Sheriff Chas. J. Bishop, of this city, said if he was related to
the deceased it was very remote though he knew the family in Montgomery

	Fulton Daily Sun, Callaway County, Missouri, 2 July 1923

	Miller Will Recover.  John Miller, Montgomery City garage man and
farmer, who was cut in several places by the Bishop boys, last Thursday,
will recover from the injuries, according to word received here today.  A
coroner's jury returned a verdict that Bishop had died from a clot on the
brain caused by excitement, following the difficulty he had had with Miller
about some hogs getting into some corn.
	The difficulty between the men, the death of Bishop and the attack
on Miller by Bishop's brothers on the streets of Montgomery City, is said to
have caused a great deal of excitement.  The Bishops had Miller down and
were stabbing him with their knives.  Our informant said that city and
county officers were nearby and saw the trouble, but did not interfere and
that private citizens pulled the men off of Miller and probably saved his
life.  The city marshall is said to have told men who critized him for not
interfering, that knowing the Bishops he knew that if he interfered he would
have to kill some of them.

	Montgomery Standard, Montgomery County, Missouri, 6 July 1923

Elieud Adolphus Bishop was born March 14, 1874, in Montgomery county, Mo.  When
quite young his parents, S.C. Bishop and wife, moved to California, but when he
was about six years old they returned to live for some ten years, when they
moved back into Montgomery county.  Here their large family was reared and here
they have since continued to live.
	Elieud joined the Methodist church at Old Bethel when about 19 years of
age and often in after life expressed belief in "a future beond the grave" and
uttered the wish that he might so shape his life that he would be permitted to
enjoy the blessings of the spiritual world.  This, no doubt, at the end of life,
helped to take away the "sting of death" which sooner or later comes to all.
	He was married to Miss Willie Hudson January 25, 1899, and to this
union were born six children, Angie Ruth, Samuel, David, Imogene, George and
	Almost his entire life was spent in and around Montgomery City, and
those who knew him best were his closest friends, and no deed of kindness toward
them that was in his power to bestow was ever withheld.
	He was energetic, industrious and ambitious to make a success of life,
both morally and financially.  He was a close observer and student of agricultural
conditions, in which occupation he was engaged.  He was kind hearted, generous
to a fault, and ever ready to lend a hand to those who needed help.
	His main purpose in life seemed to center in providing for the future
of his family and in lending a helping hand to his brothers, a number of whom
lived in his immediate neighborhood.
	For the past four years he had been in poor health, due to a severe
attack of "flu" and shock from a fall, but lately had improved in health and
was apparently on the road to permanent recovery.
	His sudden and untimely death on Thursday, June 28, 1923, was a severe
blow to his family and friends.
	Besides the wife and children he leaves to mourn his departure an aged
father and mother and eight brothers, all of whom live in or around Montgomery
City, except Roy C., who lives in Montgomery, Alabama, and James, whose headquarters
now are in Philadelphia.
	He was buried at Old Bethel church Sunday, July 1st, after services
conducted by Rev. W.N. Giddens, pastor of the church at that place.
	The large crowd of friends attending the services and the beautiful
floral offerings completely covering the casket, attested the high esteem in
which he was held.  Peace to his ashes.

	Montgomery Standard, Montgomery County, Missouri, 6 July 1923

Inquest on E.A. Bishop.  The coroner's inquest on the body of E.A. Bishop, who
died suddenly last Thursday, was completed Friday morning, and the jury brought
in a verdict that death was caused by a hemmorrhage of the brain superinduced by
high blood pressure caused by excitement.
	Mrs. John G. Miller, the only actual eye-witness to the altercation
between Bishop and John G. Miller, testified that Miller struck Bishop but
one blow, and that above the eye with his fist.
	Drs. Nowlin, Hudson and Prewitt, who performed an autopsy, testified
that they found no bruises and no broken bones.  They found an enlarged condition
of the heart and kidneys, indicating diabetes and high blood pressure, and also
found a blood clot at the base of the brain.  Their conclusion was that the
clot was caused by excitement, and not by a blow, and the verdict was in
comformity with their conclusions.

Eliude Adolphus and Sarah Willie (Hudson) Bishop Family