Search billions of records on

[Research and Report done by Richard William "Bill" Bishop, great-grandson,
November 1962. San Jose, California.]

			Samuel A. Bishop

	Samuel A. Bishop was born in Albermarle County, in the State of
Virginia, on September 2, 1825.  After living in Virginia
for ten years, he moved with his parents in 1835 to Montgomery County in
Missouri.  Here Mr. Bishop attended school and lived with his parents.  In
1846 the Bishop family moved from Montgomery to Callaway county in Missouri.
Even though Mr. Bishop was brought up as a farmer he became very interested
in mechanics at a very early age in his life.  As an example of this
interest he built a mill in Callaway.  In the mean time he was working at
several other trades which included:  wagon making, engine construction,
blacksmithing and a multitude of other useful trades.  Around that same time
the world was shaken to its foundations by the discovery of gold at Sutters
Fort in California.  Mr. Bishop was not to be left out in this wild
excitement.  His slogan during this period was "TO THE LAND OF GOLD."
During the day gold occupied his thoughts and by night his dreams.

	Mr. Bishop then left for California.  He left from Callaway County on April
15, 1849 on his little trip across the plains in oxteams and wagons.  The route
that Mr. Bishop took was that by way of Santa Fe in New Mexico, next he
followed the Colorado River to a point near El Paso, Texas.  From there he
followed the trail that Cook had previously used.  On this trail he
continued to Tucson in the Arizona Territory.  From Tuson Mr. Bishop
continued on to the Gila River to a point where Fort Yuma stands near the
town of Yuma in the Arizona Territory.  Mr. Bishop had to abandon his wagons
and his ox teams.  From here he had to carry his provisions of blankets,
food, pick and shovel over the scalding Mojave Desert on his back.  Finally,
Mr. Bishop arrived foot sore and tired in Los Angeles on October 8, 1849,
three and one half months after leaving Callaway County in Missouri.

	Here at Los Angeles he only remained a short time when in the early part
of 1850 Mr. Bishop left on his journey to the Mariposa Mines by foot carrying his
needs on his back.  Shortly Mr. Bishop arrived at the Mariposa Mines with
one hundred pounds on his back.  Altogether, his trip took him seven hundred
miles on foot from the Gila River to the Mariposa Mines.  In the summer of
1850 Mr. Bishop found himself in the area of the Stanislaus and Merced
Rivers.  During the summer he spent most of his time building dams to get at
the wealth that laid in their beds.  In the fall of 1850, the turn of events
and the weather played against Mr. Bishop for in the month of September
heavy rains struck the area and changed the slow moving currents into raging
turbulent currents.  Thus washing away Mr. Bishop's many painfully
constructed dams along with his hopes of opening up new unlimited supplies
of wealth.  This didn't stop Mr. Bishop, he continued on to the Mariposa
Mines.  At the mines he hoped to continue his long search for the precious
gold ore.  Unfortunately, trouble was in the making and the Mariposa War
soon broke out between the Indians and the settlers.  Mr. Bishop was soon
found turning in his pick and shovel for a rifle and bayonet and he was one
of the first men to enlist in the war.

	On February 10, 1851, Mr. Bishop was to be found in the battalion
trained by James Burney under the command of Major James D. Savage.  The
battalion was divided into three companies A. B. and C.  Company A
was under the command of Captain John Kirkwood, Company B
under Captain John Bowling, and Company C under the command of William Dill.
Mr Bishop was elected orderly sergeant of Company C.  Whenever Company C
was underarms and Captain Dill was not present Mr. Bishop was acting
commander of Company C.  After organizing, the entire battalion at once
moved quickly in the pursuit of the hostile Indians.  Quickly, a small band
of the Indians was taken on the Merced River, then followed the rest of the
Indians into the Yosemite Valley where he took the great Indian Chief
Yosemite prisoner himself.  It is fairly important to realize now that this
was the first entry of white men into the Yosemite Valley, so this war lead
the Battalion under Major Savage into this now world famous resort area.
After this action in the Yosemite Valley the troops were mustered out of
service, and the following discharge given to Mr. Bishop:

                                        "State of California"
                                          "Mariposa County"

	"This is to certify that Sergeant Samuel A. Bishop was mustered into
service of the State of California as a volunteer in Company C, of
California Battalion, commanded by Major James D. Savage, on the tenth day
of February, 1851, and has faithfully performed the duties of First Sergeant
of Company C, to this date;  and that he is honorably discharged.  Given
under our hands this first day of July 1851."

                         "William Dill, Captain Commanding Co. C"
                         "M.B. Lewis, Mustering Officer"

	After the Mariposa War Mr. Bishop engaged with his old commander
James D. Savage and L.D. Vincent Hailer with the position of mechanic and
general manager of their business.  In 1852 Major Savage was killed in a
vicious argument with Major Harvey and Mr. Bishop became a partner in this
firm along with Dr. Leech and Company, which was at the time in the business
of Indian Traders.  They were doing their trading at the time in the Indian
Reservation established by the government on the Fresno River.  Near there
is a monument constructed for Major Savage.  This monument is located about
12 miles east of Madera on the River Road.  Here Mr. Bishop had complete
charge of the Indians until General Edward F. Beale was appointed by
President Filmore to be Superintendent of Indian affairs in all of

	In the following year General Beale was getting ready to move
the Indians to the San Joaquine River.  To help him, the General hired Mr.
Bishop to lead the Indians.  At about this time the notorious outlaw Joaquin
Murietta and his friend Lieutenant Three Fingered Jack were out making the
state fear their names.  These fearless criminals were finally stopped by a
group lead by Captain Harry Love.  This group was responsible for the death
of the two outlaws.  As Captain Love's men approached the river opposite the
Indian ranch, Mr. Bishop brought them across the river by boat.  He then
presented Captain Love with a 10 gallon keg of whiskey to preserve the head
of Murietta and Three Fingered Jack's hand.  In December of 1853 Mr. Bishop
again moved the Indians, this time to Fort Tejon located near Tejon Pass,
otherwise known as the Grapevine to many travelers of Southern California.
In 1854, Mr. Bishop with Indian help raised a large crop.  At this same time
Mr. Bishop and General Beale formed a copartnership in the business of
raising stock and buying land.  The name of the company they owned was
Bishop & Beale and it continued for several years.  During that time Mr.
Bishop was Justice of The Peace, Notary Public and also "Judge of the
Plain", all at one time at Fort Tejon.  He was always trying and making
friends and always helping out people the best he could, and was a very good
friend of the Indians of that area.

	In 1854 Mr. Bishop met Alexander Gody who was the scout and a
friend of the well known General Freemont and Kit Carson.  Mr.
Bishop and Godey then went into business together.  Their
business was to include the job of supplying provisions to the army troops
at Fort Tejon.  In the year of 1859, Mr. Bishop and General Beale signed a
contract with the United States government to build a Military road from
Beale's Crossing on the Colorado River into and through the Arizona
Territory and on into the New Mexico Territory.  This was the first road of
any kind through this area which was at that time one of the ruggedest areas
in the country.  The Indians, mostly of the Apache Tribe, were so hostile
and devoted to stopping the expansion of the white men that the United
States Troops [were used] to keep these wild Indians under control.  The
Government troops were sent from San Francisco around Lower California and
up to Fort Yuma by Steamer.  From Fort Yuma to Beale's Crossing they went by
light draft steamer.  At Beale's Crossing a year previous to this, a group
of immigrants were massacred by the Indians of the area, so the troops hoped
to be attacked then instead of having to fight out on the desert where the
odds would be against them.  Mr. Bishop was informed about the troops and
the support they would give to Mr. Bishop.  So he planned and made
arrangements to arrive at Beale's Crossing at the same time as the troops
from San Francisco.  Thus, when Mr. Bishop and his party crossed the
Colorado River he would have the troops for support in case of an attack by
the Indians.

	Mr. Bishop, unfortunately, arrived at the crossing one month
before the slower moving troops who were coming up the river by boat.  So
Mr. Bishop was forced by quickly diminishing supplies to cross the river
without the support of the government troops.  When Mr. Bishop lead his
group which consisted of forty two men, twenty camels, a few wagons and pack
mules across the Colorado River the group was attacked by Indians and forced
back to the bank.  Mr. Bishop then led his group back to Bear Lake which was
two miles from the river.  Here at the [river] a defense  was set up in the
following manner:  all the wagons were drawn up into a line about fifty
yards from the shore of the lake and parallel to it and thus hastily
constructed a defense of a moderate height to turn back almost any attack
from the plain in the direction of the river.  In the rear there was Bear
Lake and to the flanks there were two ditches four feet deep filled with
water.  In this large enclosure there was much security for life and
property and an abundant supply of fodder for the animals.  At this point
the group armed itself with rifles, shotguns and revolvers prepared to meet
their unknown enemies.  Soon Mr. Bishop's group of forty two men was
attacked by a full fifteen hundred Apache Indians.  In this fight the odds
were 36 to one against Mr. Bishop.  The odds are three times steeper than
those at Little Big Horn which eliminated General Custers famous fighting
groups ...  the odds there were 10 to one.  The Indians attacked and were
met by a withering fire.  On each of the following mornings the Indians
renewed their attack and finally on the seventeenth day there was no attack.
In place of the attack came a flag of truce into Mr. Bishop's camp along
with a request that a Council of War be held.  After the Armistice was
signed and the Council held, our hero was allowed to continue on his way
east, building the militry road which Rt. 66 soon followed until he came to
the San Francisco Mountains near Flagstaff in the Arizona Territory.  In the
San Francisco Mountains Mr. Bishop met with his partner General Beale.
While in this area a spring was named Bishop Spring after Mr. Bishop.  The
next step for Mr. Bishop was to retrace his footsteps until he came to
Beale's Crossing.  Here, at the crossing, he met with the troops that had
come from San Francisco to see action against the Indians.  By the time the
troops had arrived there was no need for army protection.  This slight
mistake had cost the United States Government half a million dollars, and
[had left] the Indian fighting to Mr. Bishop alone.

	When Fort Tejon was constructed in 1854 it was believed that it was
constructed upon public land but it was actually on the Castic Grant which
was owned by Mr. Bishop and a Mr. Packard who lived in Santa Barbara.
Instead of tearing down the fort and constructing it elsewhere, Mr. Bishop
deeded the U.S. Government one square mile on which the Fort Tejon was
located.  The deed stated that the fort was to be used for military reasons
by the government and that when the fort was abandoned all the land and all
of its imporvements would be returned to its original owner.  When an Indian
dispute broke out the government troops at the fort were ordered to the
fight and thus left the fort abandoned.  The land and buildings were then
given to Mr. Bishop as stated in the deed.  Mr. Bishop then found himself in
possession of a ready made town.  On the post was found a hospital, jail,
stores and many homes with no one occupying them.  With his keen
intelligence which led him to great fame, Mr. Bishop conceived the idea of
forming a new county out of the northern portion of Los Angeles County, and
eastern part of Santa Barbara County, and the Southern portion of Tulare
County, thus creating a need for such buildings as courthouse, jails,
hospitals, etc.  Mr. Bishop planned to donate his buildings as the county
seat of the new county that was to be formed.  His next step was to start a
petition to form this new county, and of course the idea of this ready made
county seat helped get signers easily.  Next, Mr. Bishop took the petition
before the state legislature.  In the mean time, Mr. Bishop went into
ranching, after the outbreak of the Comestock Load in Nevada.  To make it
more convenient he established a branch of his ranch and stock operations in
the Owens Valley, on a creek which was to be named Bishop Creek near Bishop,
California, which is now in Inyo County.  Around that time a group of
Indians attacked a group of white settlers in the area, killing some and
burning some of their homes.

	The legislature in 1865 passed Mr. Bishop's petition for the new
county because of the support behind it all of the people.  Later in the
year the government of the county was organized and elections for offices
were held, and the establishment of the county seat.  In the meantime, an
important mining find broke out at Havilah and the people started to leave
the fort in great numbers to head for the mining fields in the hills near
the Kern River.  So, at the time of the elections the city or town with
greatest number of people would be the county seat, and due to the mining
boom, Havilah was the largest and any hope for the fort as the county seat
was gone.  Mr. Bishop was elected one of the county supervisors for the new
county.  This county was named Kern County, after the Kern River which ran
through it.

	In the fall of 1866, Mr. Bishop resigned from office and
returned for a visit to the Atlantic Coast.  Mr. Bishop took up his
residence in San Jose in the month of April in 1867, on his return to
California with his family.  After this date Mr. Bishop started his well
known career in the San Jose area.  In the month of February 1868, he and a
few others were granted a franchise to build the San Jose and Santa Clara
Horse Railroad.  Two years later, in 1870, he became interested in the San
Jose Savings Bank, and afterwards became vice president for many years of
that institution.  In 1870 he also became the owner of the San Jose
Institute and Business College which was located on First Street.  Mr. and
Mrs. Freeman Gates were his instructors.  One year later in 1871, Mr. Bishop
received a franchise from the Mayor and the Common Council of San Jose to
construct the First Street Railroad.  Next, he was president of the San Jose
Homestead Association when it was organized to purchase lands in East San
Jose and lay them out into lots, he then lengthed the San Jose and Santa
Clara Horse Railroad into the new area.  Soon, he purchased interests and
became a director of the Butte Flame and Lumber Company (now called Sierra
Lumber Co.), who have enormous factories in the Sierra Nevadas, in Plumas,
Tehama, Butte and Shasta counties.  In 1876, he and six others purchased the
Stayton Quicksilver and Antimony Mines which were located in the mountain
area that separates Fresno and San Benito Counties.  Although that area is
very rich in these minerals the mining has been stopped, due to the low
price in these minerals, and the high cost of their mining.

	Mr. Bishop was a member of the Masonic Lodge as an Arch Mason, he
was also a member of the Odd Fellows Club, a life member of the California
Pioneers, also a member of the Santa Clara County Pioneers.

	He was married in 1856 to Frances E. Young in Los Angeles.  Frances
Young was the daughter of William and Amanda Young, and they had three
children, two daughters and one son.

Samuel Addison and Frances Ella (Young) Bishop Family