Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Weems-Botts Musuem
       

 

 

The Weems-Botts Musuem

Merchant Park, 300 Duke Street, Dumfries, Virginia

Home of Reverend Mason Locke Weems

The Reverend Mason Locke Weems will always be remembered as the man who invented the now-famous story of George Washington and the cherry tree.

While he wrote several other biographies of founding fathers (Marion, Penn, Franklin) none achieved the wide popularity of the Life of Washington.

The portion of the museum dedicated to Weems was purchased in 1798 by Parson Mason Locke Weems (b.1756-d. 1825), already active as a bookseller in the Dumfries area.  Since he did not move his family to Dumfries until 1802, it is probable that he used the structure as his book shop and depot and overnight lodging as necessity required.  As the sole remaining evidence of this famous American's identification with the town of Dumfries during the last 30 productive years of his life, this museum has been dedicated to his memory.  It was from here that he launched, early in 1800, the first edition of his Life of Washington, along with his almanacs and sermon tracts.

(From Weems-Botts Museum flyer)

To Photo List

 

 Home ] Wemyss Castle (East & West) ] Photo List ] Photo Mary Lee Weems ] Links ] [ Weems-Botts Musuem ] Wemyss Castle (East & West) ] [ Photo List ] [ Photo Mary Lee Weems ] [ Links ] [ Weems-Botts Musuem ]

E-mail the Webmaster Dick Cullen

Page last updated 10/24/2002