Historical Markers of
Sumner County, Tennessee
Note: The index will provide a brief history of the site,
Whether a house or a church or a limestone obelisk, there are a number of historical markers that dot the landscape of Sumner County. Preserved through forethought and determination, these historical icons are a constant reminder of a proud history, a history constructed by the countless hands of Sumner's generations.
the historical significance of the site, directions to the site, and, in time, a
photograph of each marker and the site itself.
Press your "Back" key to return to the alphabetized portion of the page.
TROUSDALE PLACE(In Gallatin, one block west of the public square)---Trousdale Place was built by John Bowen prior to 1820 and purchased in 1822 by William Trousdale, Governor of Tennessee, 1849-1851. He fought in the War of 1812 and in the Creek, Seminole and Mexican Wars, and was breveted brigadier-general by President Polk in 1848. In 1900, the house was given to Clark Chapter #13 U.D.C. by Annie Berry Trousdale, wife of William Trousdale's son Julius, a Confederate veteran.
CAMP TROUSDALE(On Tenn. 109, 3.1 miles south of the junction with Tenn. 41) ---Served formerly by Richland Station on the L&N RR, this was an early staging and training area for Tennessee Confederate units. Regiments trained here included the Seventh Infantry (Hatton), 17th Infantry (Savage), 18th Infantry (Palmer), 20th Infantry (Battle) 32nd Infantry (Bushrod Johnson) 41st Infantry (Tillman) and 44th Infantry (McDaniel). Also the First (McNairy) and Second (Samuel Jones) Cavalry Battalions, which (May, 1862) became the First Cavalry (Biffle) trained here after organizing at Nashville and Mt. Pleasant, respectively.
(On U.S. 31W, 1.5 miles south of the junction with Tenn. 52)---Built in 1837 by Carter, Hough & Herriford, then operating the Louisville--Nashville stage line, this succeeded the notorious Cheek tavern as an overnight stopping place. Building of the railroad in 1859 caused abandonment of the line. Nearby, over Red River, is one of the dry stone-arch bridges used by the old road.
WILLIAM BOWEN CAMPBELL(On U.S. 31W in Goodlettsville---Born in the brick house 2.2 miles northeast, Feb. 1, 1807. He was a member of the state and national Houses of Representatives, and also commanded a company in the Seminole War and the "Bloody First" Tennessee Infantry in the Mexican War. He was Governor from 1851-1853 and a member of Congress in 1865. He is buried in Lebanon where he died, Aug. 19, 1867.
(On U.S. 31W in Goodlettsville)---Here, near Mansker's Lick, Kasper Mansker established a station of the Cumberland Settlements in 1790. The road connecting with Nashborough was built in 1781. John Donelson and his family moved here after abandoning his Clover Bottom Station following the 1780 Massacre. A great game trail ran northeast from the Lick.
MORGAN AT GALLATIN
(On U.S. 31E in Gallatin near the junction with Tenn. 25) --Coming from Dixon Springs, Col. John H. Morgan, with the Second Kentucky Cavalry, captured without a fight the Federal garrison of 200 men under Col. Boone, USA. He then destroyed the railroad bridge south of town, the tunnel six miles north and all available rolling stock, cutting the line between Louisville and Nashville. Leaving a small detachment, he withdrew to Hartsville.
FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH(On U.S. 31E in Gallatin)---The oldest church building in Gallatin in continuous existence, this church was organized Oct. 25, 1828. The building was erected in 1836-37 and is an example of early Greek Revival architecture. The sanctuary was used as a hospital for Federal troops during the Civil War.
ROCK CASTLE(On U.S. 31 in Hendersonville)---Begun 1784, Indian attacks delayed its completion until 1791. It was the home of Daniel Smith, captain in Lord Dunmore's War, colonel in the Revolution; brigadier general of militia in the Mero District; member of the committee to frame the Bill of Rights; Territorial Secretary of State, and U.S. Senator.
BEECH CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH(On U.S. 31E in Hendersonville)---The first Synod of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church was constituted Oct. 5, 1813, at the church located 6.4 miles northwest on Long Hollow Pike. The congregation was organized in 1798 by Thomas Craighead. In 1828, the stone building was erected with walls three feet thick. William Montgomery, pioneer surveyor for the Federal Government, and John McMurtry, soldier in the Revolution, are buried in the churchyard.
(On Tyree Springs Rd., four miles north of the Shackle Island intersection)---A mineral springs resort was established here by R. C. Tyree sometime between 1814 and 1822. By 1834 it was the most celebrated watering place in the state. Presidents Andrew Jackson and James K. Polk were guests here. Burned during the Civil War, the resort was later rebuilt. Guests were received until the early 1930s. Its buildings were razed 15 years later. (See the article on Tyree Springs.)
MORGAN AND JOHNSON (On Tenn. 25 between Castalian Springs and the Trousdale County Line)---Aug. 20, 1862, moving east along this road, Colonel John H. Morgan, with the Second Kentucky Cavalry and attachments, met Brigadier General R. W. Johnson's task force of the Second Indiana Cavalry, Fourth and Fifth Kentucky Cavalry and Seventh Pennsylvania Cavalry. In a fight which covered about seven miles and lasted four hours, the Federals were defeated; the commander and about 175 men were captured. Morgan moved to Hartsville.
GENERAL WILLIAM HALL (On Tenn. 25, nine miles east of Gallatin)---Revolutionary War veteran Major William Hall settled in this area in 1785 and built a station one and one-fourth miles northeast. He and two sons were massacred a few years later. Born in North Carolina in 1775, General William Hall, his son, served in the Indian Wars of 1787-95 and the War of 1812, and as Governor, State Legislator and U.S. Congressman. He died in 1856 and is buried with this father near Hall's Station.
BLEDSOE'S LICK(On Tenn. 25 in Castalian Springs)---The spring to the north was a rendezvous for salt-seeking game in pre-pioneer days. The first settlers came in 1779. In 1787, Isaac and Anthony Bledsoe and their families settled here. The two brothers were killed by Indians and are buried in the plot 500 yards northwest. Bledsoe Female Academy was also near here.
WILLIAM BRIMAGE BATE(On Tenn. 25 at the west edge of Castalian Springs)---Born 1.2 miles north, Oct 7, 1826. An officer in river steamboats in early life, he was later an officer in the Mexican War. A major general in the Confederate Army of Tennessee, he was Governor of Tennessee from 1883 to 1887 and U.S. Senator from 1887 to 1903. He died in Nashville March 9, 1905 and is buried there. (See a photo of Confederate General Wm. Brimage Bate or read about General Bate's service in the Confederate Army.)
CRAGFONT(On Tenn. 25, east of the bridge over Bledsoe Creek)---.7 miles north is the home of James Winchester, built by artisans from his home state of Maryland and completed in 1802. He was a War of 1812 brigadier general, and, in association with General Andrew Jackson and Judge John Overton, was one of Memphis' founders. He is buried in the family plot behind the house.
BLEDSOE'S FORT AND MONUMENT (On Tenn. 25, five miles east of Gallatin)---The Bledsoe Monument, one-10th of a mile northwest, marks the graves of Revolutionary War veterans Anthony and Isaac Bledsoe. Both were long hunters and explorers who settled in this region and were active in the civil and military life of the early Southwest. About 200 yards west was Bledsoe's Fort, built by Isaac in 1783 to protect the settlers during Indian attacks. Both brothers were slain by Indians near the fort.
(On Tenn. 25 on Hartsville Pike)---This station was built in 1790 near Bledsoe Creek by Joseph Ziegler to protect early settlers. In 1791, it was attacked by a war party of Creek, Cherokee and Chickamauga Indians, who killed 10 people and took 18 prisoners. A forced march was made to Chattanooga, unsuccessfully pursued by Gen. James Winchester and local militia. All prisoners were later ransomed by Gen. James White, founder of Knoxville and brother of a captive, Sarah White Wilson.
HUGH ROGAN(On U.S. 31E, on Gallatin-Bethpage Pike)---Two miles east is "Rogana", the stone and brick house built in 1800 by Hugh Rogan (1747-1814). An Irish immigrant, Rogan came to Nashborough with John Donelson's party in 1780 and was a signer of the Cumberland Compact. Noted as a surveyor and Indian fighter, he was given 640 acres near the present site of Vanderbilt University, which he later traded for land in Sumner County. Rogana was the Mass station for Catholics of this area until St. Peter's Church was built at Gallatin in 1844.
The area of the Square has been declared a national historic district because of the number of buildings there that are 50 years old or older. The Gallatin Chamber of Commerce has a walking tour available that describes many of the buildings and details their history.
AVERY TRACEAvery Trace, a foot trail followed by many of the earliest settlers into Middle Tennessee ran from Clinch Mountain in East Tennessee to French Lick (Nashville), then a small settlement on the Cumberland River. The Trace passed through the southern portion of Sumner County near Bledsoe's Lick (Castalian Springs) before turning south into Davidson County.
Members of the Jackson County Historical Society are attempting to identify and mark the entire Trace in time for Tennessee's bicentennial in 1996.
The "King Homestead" in Cottontown was listed in the National Historic Register in January of 1978. A 1-1/2 story log home built in 1798 by William King, it became the first home of him and his new bride, Caroline Hassell. It remained in the King family for 100 years. Since 1958, it has been the home of Floyd T. and Sally Greer and has undergone renovation. It is now called "New Moon Farm" and is located on Watt Nolen Road.
RANDY'S RECORD SHOP
The newest historic marker is located near the intersection of Nashville Pike (Hwy 31E) and Red River Road (Hwy 25), the former site of Randy's Record Shop. The business, which opened in 1945 and closed in the summer of 1991, was owned by music producer Randy Wood and his family. Famous throughout the United States, many music careers of the 1950s are said to have been launched at the record store.
Return to Sumner Scrapbook Main Page