The family bible of the Shain family of Grayson Co., KY contains a ledger of marriages performed by the Reverend Creed Meeder Shain between January, 1888 and March, 1919. The pages are old and in poor condition. With the assistance of researcher Ron Boone, who provided the ledger copies, I have transcribed the ledger as best I could. Ron has extensive notes about many of the couples listed and some of these notes are included below the list. The marriages were numbered for the purpose of including notes. Any information anyone could provide to further clarify the record would be appreciated.
* indicates that some information has been updated or confirmed using the Family Tree Maker CD of Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900
Link to a list of all brides and grooms in alphabetical order
MarriageSolemnized by C. M. Shain
(1) C. C. Askins Annie Shain 01/29/1888
(2) D. B. Young Eva Payton 02/__/1888
(3) Jeff Crumes Samantha Hayes 03/__/1888
(4) Robert Patterson Sarah McDaniel 08/__/1888
(5) Jacob Crumes Nealy McDaniel 08/__/1889
(6) Edd T. Shain Polly Serls 02/__/1889
(7) Ted Shain Manda J. Young 10/__/1889
(8) Norman Patterson Mollie Young 12/25/1889
(9) John Duggins Palley A. Young __/__/1891
(10) Jas Shain Eliza A. White 10/__/1891
(11) Jas Payton Frances Young 12/__/1891
(12) Owen Young Mary C. Young 02/__/1892
(13) Buel Wilkson Alice Rosson 03/__/1892
(14) Marques Shain Lucretia Bozarth 02/16/1892
(15) Edward Young Annie Geary 05/16/1892
(16) J. C. Young Bertie Layman 06/13/1892
(17) J. L. Crumes Cordie Lewis 06/10/1892
(18) J. Morgan Harriet Young 07/21/1892
(19) Zedic Payton Flordia Deweese 09/22/1892
(20) Jas. E. Shain Mariah Shain 11/10/1892
(21) E. F. Shain Mary Duggins 11/18/1892
(22) Mel Carrol Sarah B. Shain 12/04/1892
(23) M. M. Shain Leah Cummings 12/15/1892
(24) Amos Deweese Sarah Young 01/10/1894
(25) Dock Payton Sarah A. Porter 05/12/1894
(26) W. O. Eskridge Camelie Miller 08/28/1895
(27) R. S. Shain Violet Deweese 10/02/1895
(28) Jackson A. Goff Missouria Bates 10/11/1895
(29) C. V. Shain Viola Wilson 01/08/1896
(30) Jas H. Duggins Maud Majors 01/23/1896
(31) W. C. Young Lena Stinson 03/26/1896
*(32) James A. Oller Josephine Frances Deweese 09/20/1896
*(33) H. Fonzo Young Clara A. Shain 10/06/1896
(34) B. K. Shain Ida J. Howard 10/06/1896
*(35) Elbert D. Basham Sarah A. Hall 02/21/1897
*(36) W. O. Embry America Sapp 03/14/1897
*(37) J Jayman Sabe Young 03/16/1897
*(38) A. L. Reeden Fanny L. Shain 04/08/1897
*(39) Frank J. Payton Susan O. Shain 04/11/1897
*(40) Lee Wilson Leona Layman 09/05/1897
*(41) W. E. Anderson Sallie Wilson 10/24/1897
*(42) Nathaniel Payton Janice Young 11/28/1897
*(43) Larkin Stinson Artelia England 12/18/1897
*(44) J. O. Franks Ella Embry 01/16/1898
*(45) A. J. Layman Gertrude Deweese 01/19/1898
(46) C. L. Shain Martha E. Young 01/23/1898
*(47) C. L. Young Maud Shain 01/01/1899
*(48) T. F. Young Viola Young 03/05/1899
*(49) Robert Sebastian Lydia A. Bates 03/19/1899
*(50) G. L. Young Martha E. Layman 04/18/1899
*(51) Clinton Parks Jennie Lillian Stinson 09/07/1899
*(52) Alex Young Mrs. Ella White 09/14/1899
*(53) J. G. B. Higgs Janey Shain 05/08/1898
*(54) Crittenden A. Payton Cassie E. Young 05/18/1899
*(55) Martin McDaniel Kate Young 03/15/1900
*(56) W. C. Raymer Effie C. Keith 11/25/1900
(57) D. M. Young Harriet McDaniel 01/10/1901
(58) J. E. Stinson Mary E. Stevens 01/16/1901
(59) W. V Kelley Iris Deweese 01/30/1901
(60) George House Mrs. Gary 08/01/1901
(61) Ellis M. Shain Eula P. Layman 08/11/1901
(62) W. R. Green Lena Shain 09/01/1901
(63) Henry Duggins Mary A. Quiggins 12/04/1901
(64) A. H. Green Charlotte Young 12/22/1901
(65) Louis Tucker Bell Layman 12/25/1901
(66) Frank H. Lambson Tina Young 02/05/1902
(67) Garfield Oller Cora Duncan 02/25/1902
(68) Isaac Payton Rosa Duncan 03/06/1902
(69) Jasper F. Cummings Artie Keith 03/23/1902
(70) John R. McGrew Mattie Patterson 11/20/1902
(71) Olla Young Hattie Day 07/19/1908
(72) Edward O. Kebbell Valeria Shain 09/06/1902
(73) Edward J. Kerr Florance Layman 02/14/1904
(74) Fines Young Phoeba Fraims 04/10/1904
(75) Sam T. Young Mabel Boone 04/24/1904
(76) Thomas Duncan Maud Dehart 05/02/1904
(77) W. A. Bratcher Mamie Shain 09/14/1904
(78) Chordis Patterson Girdie Patterson 09/14/1904
(79) Fred C. Green Oney Embry 12/11/1904
(80) S. E. Deweese Kate Shain 02/26/1905
(81) John Ezell Harriett E. Frame 05/07/1906
(82) Valentine Johnson Gertrude Ollar 07/13/1905
(83) J. F. Shain Olga Green 08/30/1905
(84) I. F. Shain Nannie Young 11/08/1905
(85) Avery Payton Annie Shain 12/06/1905
(86) Lon E. McDaniel Vivian Payton 12/14/1905
(87) J. M. White Ida Edwards 01/07/1906
(88) Geo M. Gary Nelia Hayse 02/26/1906
(89) Otto Young Etta Butler 04/29/1906
(90) B. F. Shain Bessie Deweese 11/14/1906
(91) Ervin Fleener Nellie Keith 01/27/1906
(92) V. C. Embry Myrtle Napiers 01/20/1907
(93) Ray Shain Dorothea Deweese 05/05/1907
(94) Lessie Shaw Olga Young 06/02/1907
(95) I O Young Mary Kebbell 10/13/1907
(96) Danial F. Boone Ivey Shaw 12/25/1907
(97) Amos Johnson Victoria Fraim 01/29/1908
(98) Van Ashley Dellar Boone 04/28/1908
(99) Charls Hobbs N. D. Duncan 07/20/1908
(100) Cortis Payton Pearl Shreve 07/25/1908
(101) Claude L. Porter Clorice E. Green 04/29/1909
(102) Oley Shain Ada V. Shain 08/15/1909
(103) Willice L. McDaniel Erbon G. Young 10/27/1909
(104) Harlow R. Shrader Ulah Wilson 06/05/1910
(105) Joe C. Payton Ethel Shain 06/26/1910
(106) C. S. Embry Elizabeth Ragland 04/04/1911
(107) Creed Shain Bessie White 12/21/1911
(108) Jake Decker Ruby A. Shain 02/14/1912
(109) Welzy Fram Hannie Kiper 05/05/1912
(110) Ed Duggins Ora Shain 10/09/1912
(111) Jay Boone Ora Kebbell 10/16/1912
(112) Roy Foeman Shellie Shain 11/06/1912
(113) Benjamin F. Devine Jona Strasburger 12/25/1913
(114) Orval Day Daisey Boone 01/29/1913
(115) Bert Fentress Lillie C. Shain 02/23/1913
(116) Clarence G. Crawford Emma D. Lewis 06/01/1913
(117) Mack Doolin Cora P. Shain 08/05/1913
(118) Lawrance Keith Artie Shain 08/26/1913
(119) Elmer Denison Hattie Tilford 11/30/1913
(120) Martin L. Frank Hariett Duggins 01/28/1914
(121) Porter Shain Lois D. Young 09/28/1914
(122) Shelby Basham Lillia Young 11/12/1914
(123) Otis Shain Nolia W. Webster 11/26/1914
(124) Sam Patterson Minnie Ashley 04/__/1915
(125) Carel Green ?irda Miller 12/02/1915
(126) Lewis F Duke Nora Howard 03/30/1916
(127) Samuel T. Young Ida M. Patterson 10/11/1917
(128) Thomas Shaw Ray Young 02/10/1918
(129) Carl Sapp Dalsie Mahurin 06/02/1918
(130) Fred Mingus Catie Shain 06/25/1918
(131) Joe Shain Oma Carroll 03/05/1919
(132) J. F. Deweese Allas Askins 02/14/1894
Marriage #2 is Daniel Boone Young, the son of Alexander Elisha Young and Lydia McDaniel. D. B. first married Grace Payton and then Eva Payton 2/1888. They were sisters and daughters of Samuel Young Payton and Elizabeth Deweese.
Marriage #4 is William Robert Patterson and Sarah Ann McDaniel. William was the son of John Marion Patterson and Margaret Day It was his 2nd marriage. He first married Carrie Burnett. Sarah was the daughter of John B. McDaniel and Mary Louise Hudson.
Marriage #5 is shown as Jacob Crumes and Nelia Vickie McDaniel in some Duncan family material. They had a daughter named Olivia who married Clarence William Duncan.
Marriage #6 is Edward Thomas Shain and Mary Palestine Sirles. Mary Palestine Sirles married 2nd John Wallace Boone. Edward was the son of Andrew Hines Shain and Martha Elizabeth Deweese.
Marriage #7 is Stephen Edward Shain and Amanda Compton Young. Stephen was the son of Edward Ellis Shain and Abigail E. Mahurin. Amanda was the daughter of Compton Young and Emily Coats. Stephen Edward used the nickname Ted.
Marriage #8 is Norman Elmore Patterson and Mary Martha "Mollie" Young. Norman was the son of William Franklin Patterson and Luan J. Crume. Mollie was the daughter of John Avery Young and Rutha Payton. Two other sources say this marriage happened 12-25-1890, but it's clearly 12-188? in the marriage ledger.
Marriage #9 was John Claibourne Duggins and Polly Ann Young. John was the son of Harvey Vincent Duggins and Lydia Ann Shaw. Polly was the daughter of Compton Young and Emily Coats.
Marriage #12 was Stephen Owen Young and Mary Catherine Young. Stephen was the son of William Young and Harriet Deweese. Mary was the daughter of George Washington Young and Harriet Patterson. Three different books here give this date as 2-17-1892, but none are official records.
Marriage #14 is Marcus Walter Shain and Lucretia Thomas Bozarth. Marcus was the son of Thomas Lee Shain and Gracie Payton. Lucretia was the daughter of Thomas DeKalb Bozarth and Lucretia Jane Buchanan.
Marriage #15 is Edward Young and Annie Geary. Edward was the son of William Young and Harriet Deweese.
Marriage #16 is Isaac Compton Young and Bertha Clementine Layman. Isaac was the son of James B. Young and Harriet Payton.
Marriage #17 is Joseph Lee Crumes and Cordia A. Lewis. Joseph married 1st Susan Viola Boone, the daughter of William Bennet Boone and Mary Ann Prunty.
Marriage #19 is Zedic Payton and Mary Florida Deweese. Zedic was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Florida was the daughter of William David Deweese and Julia Barnes. Another source (book) that gives this marriage date as 9-22-1892. Their first child was born 9-4-1893, so it would make sense.
Marriage #20 is James E. Shain and Mary Mariah Shain. James was the son of Creed Meeder Shain and his 1st wife Millie Ann McDaniel. Mariah was the daughter of William Martin Shain and Elizabeth Young. Two book sources give this marriage date as 11-10-1892.
Marriage #21 is Forrest Edward Shain and Mary Elizabeth Duggins. Forrest was the son of William Martin Shain and Elizabeth Young. Mary was the daughter of Harvey Vincent Duggins and Lydia Ann Shaw. Three book sources give this marriage date as 11-13-1892 but the ledger says the 18th.
Marriage #23 is Madison Monroe Shain and Leah Bell Cummings. Madison is the son of Creed Meeder Shain and 2nd wife Sarah A. Deweese. Leah was the daughter of Silas R. Cummings and Jane Hayse. Jane Hayse 1st married to John Meade Byers.
Marriage #27 is Robert Lee Shain and Violet Deweese. Robert was the son of William Martin Shain and Elizabeth Young. Violet was the daughter of Stephen Edward Deweese and Amanda M. Layman.
Marriage #31 was William Calvin Young and Lena Stinson. William was the son of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd (there were two Compton Youngs). Lena was the daughter of Larkin Stinson and 1st wife Mary Jane Porter.
Marriage #36 was W. O. Embry and America Sapp. I know nothing about W. O. Embry, but it appears that you might. America Sapp was the daughter of James Warren Sapp and Sylvania Jane Shaw
Marriage #38 I have as Albert L. Reeder and Fannie L. Shain. Fannie was the daughter of Franklin Porter Shain and Emma Elizabeth Porter.
Marriage #39 was Franklin J. Payton and Susan Owen Shain. Franklin was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Susan was the daughter of Edward Ellis Shain and Abigail E. Mahurin. I have a copy of this marriage bond and the date matches. The marriage was performed at Edward Ellis Shain's house.
Marriage #42 was Nathaniel Payton and Nancy Jane "Janey" Young. Nathaniel was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Nancy was the daughter of Compton Young and Emily Coats.
Marriage #43 was Larkin Stinson and Artelia Jane England. Larkin was the son of William Stinson and 2nd wife Mary Deweese. Artelia was the daughter of John England and Sarah T. Haynes. The marriage happened on 12-19-1897 at A. M. McClure's residence.
Marriage #46 was Charles Lee Shain and Martha E. Young. Charles was the son of John Wesley Shain and Anna McDaniel. Martha was the daughter of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd.
Marriage #47 was Crittis Lonzo Young and Dora Maude Shain. Crittis was the son of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd. Dora was the daughter of Thomas Lee Shain and Gracie Payton. I have a book source here that gives this marriage as 1-18-1899, but the ledger clearly says 1-1-1899.
Marriage #49 was Robert Sebastian and Lydia Agnes Bates. Robert was the son of Stephen Sebastian and Cassie Tanner. Lydia was the daughter of Allen A. Bates and Nancy Shain.
Marriage #54 was Crittenden A. Payton and Cassie Ellen Young. Crittenden was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Cassie was the daughter of Compton Young and Emily Coats. This marriage took place 5-15-1898 at the home of Compton Young.
Marriage #57 was Daniel Melvin Young and Harriet Mariah McDaniel. I don't know anything about these folks, but have them shown as the
parents of a Eva B. Young who married Alvin Viecisimus Duncan. These notes from some Duncan family material.
Marriage #62 was William Rozelle Green and Lena Shain. William was the son of William Walter Green and Rachael V. Deweese. Lena was the daughter of William Martin Shain and Elizabeth Young. I have two book sources and vital stats that give this marriage on 9-15-1901, but the ledger definitely says 9-1-1901.
Marriage #63 was Henry Vincent Duggins and Mary Allie Quiggins. Henry was the son of Harvey Vincent Duggins and Lydia Ann Shaw.
Marriage #68 was John Isaac Payton and Rosa Duncan. John was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Rosa was the daughter of Samuel Duncan and Mary Josephine Chancellor.
Marriage #69 was Jasper Free Cummings and Artie Mesia Keith. Jasper was the son of Silas R. Cummings and Jane Hayse. Artie was the daughter of Jacob Charles Keith and Martha Ann Cash.
Marriage #72 was Edward Owen Kebbell and Valeria Elizabeth Shain. Edward was the son of Thomas Kebbell and Delilah F. Byers. Valeria was the daughter of Creed Meeder Shain and 3rd wife Melvina Deweese. This marriage took place 9-6-1903 in Millwood.
Marriage #75 was Samuel Thomas Young and Mabel Boone. Samuel was the son of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd. Mabel was the daughter of John Wallace Boone and Virginia Cummings. Two book sources, vital stats and a copy of the marriage bond all agree with this marriage date. The marriage took place at the bride's home.
Marriage #77 was William Ancel Bratcher and Mamie B. Shain. William was the son of Frank Bratcher and Ocie/Osea Bratcher. Mamie was the daughter of of John Porter Shain and Phebe Josephine Deweese. A book source and a copy of the marriage bond confirm this date.
Marriage #80 was Stephen Edward Deweese and Cassie Ellen "Kate" Shain. Stephen was the son of Isaac Harrell Deweese, Sr. and Abigail Mahurin. Cassie was the daughter of William Martin Shain and Elizabeth Young. This was a 2nd marriage for Stephen. Two other book sources agree with this marriage date.
Marriage #83 was John Fletcher Shain and Olga Florence Green. John was the son of William Martin Shain and Elizabeth Young. Olga was the daughter of William Walter Green and Rachael V. Deweese. Another book source that agrees with this marriage date.
Marriage #85 was Avery Payton and Anna Rose Shain. Avery was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Anna was the daughter of John Breckenridge Shain and Sarah Palestine Sebastian. Another book source that shows 12-5-1906 as the marriage date, likely an error in transcription.
Marriage #87 was Joseph Martin White and Ida Florence Edwards. Joseph was the son of Charles Martin White and Rachael Ann Young. Ida was the daughter of Harrison Thomas Edwards and Frances Isabelle Patterson.
Marriage #89 There were two Otto Youngs. One was a brother of I. O. Young, but he never married. This marriage is the other Otto Young.
Marriage #94 was William Lesley "Lessie" Shaw and Olga May Young. Lessie was the son of Joel Cobb Shaw and Lee Ellen Keith. Olga was the daughter of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd. Two book sources and the marriage bond that agree with this marriage date.
Marriage #95 was I. O. Young and Mary Elizabeth Kebbell. I. O. was the son of Thomas Shelton Young (Jr.) and Susannah Patterson. Mary was the daughter of Thomas Kebbell and Delilah F. Byers. Six other sources including a copy of the marriage bond and family notes in Mary's writing agree with this marriage date. I. O. was his name. He was sent home from school his first day for not telling the teacher his name and his father had to bring him back and explain that I. O. was it.
Marriage #96 was Daniel Forest Boone and Snowy Inez "Node" Shaw. Daniel was the son of John Wallace Boone and Virginia Cummings. Inez was the daughter of William Blackford Shaw and Ema Laura Hayse. The marriage bond confirms the date as 12-25-1907.
Marriage #98 was Van Ashley and Ideller Boone. Van was the son of Harvey Ashley and Elizabeth Stewart. Ideller was the daughter of Daniel Edwin Boone and Sarah Jane McDaniel. A copy of this marriage bond agrees with this date.
Marriage #100 was Cortis Payton and Pearl Shreve. Cortis was the son of Edmond Payton and Ellen Renfrow. Pearl was the daughter of Lee Hall Shreve and Lily Alice Overton.
Marriage #102 was Olla Bassett Shain and Ada Versa Shain. They were 1st cousins and parents of Honus Sherman Shain, Sr. Olla was the son of Edward Thomas Shain and Mary Palestine Sirles (later married John W. Boone). Ada was the daughter of Creed Meeder Shain and 3rd wife Melvina Deweese. A book source and a copy of the marriage bond match the date.
Marriage #107 was Creed Medders Shaw and Bessie Mae White. Creed was the son of Joel Cobb Shaw and Lee Ellen Keith. Bessie was the daughter of Andy White and Ella Alford. A book source and the marriage bond support this marriage date.
Marriage #110 was Harvey Edward Duggins and Ora Essie Shain. Harvey was the son of Harvey Vincent Duggins and Lydia Ann Shaw. Ora was the daughter of Edward Thomas Shain and Mary Palestine Sirles.
Marriage #111 was Joy Edward Boone and Ora Kebbell. Joy was the son of John Wallace Boone and Virginia Cummings. Ora was the daughter of Thomas Kebbell and Delilah F. Byers. This marriage took place 10-16-1912. A book source, family records in Mary Kebbell's writing (Mary and Ora were sisters), and a copy of the marriage bond all match this date. These were Gustava (Boone) Shain's parents.
Marriage #112 was Roy Foeman (probably supposed to be Froman or Foreman, but Foeman on the ledger) and Shellie Shain. Shellie was the daughter of Madison Monroe Shain and Leah Bell Cummings.
Marriage #114 was James Orval Day and Daisy Arnold Boone. James was the son of Robert Walter Day and Julia Catherine Young. Daisy was the daughter of John Wallace Boone and Virginia Cummings. This marriage took place 1-29-1913 at the bride’s home.
Marriage #117 was Mack Doolin and Cora Palestine Shain. Mack was the son of Joe S. Doolin and Maggie Hennon. Cora was the daughter of John Breckenridge Shain and Sarah Palestine Sebastian. Another book source that shows the date as 10-3-1913, but the ledger shows 8-5-1913.
Marriage #120 was Martin L. Frank and Harriet Ann Duggins. Martin was the son of Huston Frank and Mattie Pruitt. Harriet was the daughter of Harvey Vincent Duggins and Lydia Ann Shaw. Harvey Vincent Duggins was a Confederate soldier in the Civil War.
Marriage #124 was Samuel Patterson and Minnie Ashley. Samuel was the son of William Robert Patterson and Sarah Ann McDaniel. Minnie was the daughter of Van Ashley and 1st wife Nancy J. Foster (he later married Ideller Boone). The marriage ledger just says April 1915 that's legible, but two other book sources give 4-21-1915 as the date.
Marriage #127 was Samuel Thomas Young and Ida May Patterson. Samuel was the son of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd. This is the 2nd marriage for Samuel. He first married Mabel Boone. Ida was the daughter of William Robert Patterson and Sarah Ann McDaniel. Two book sources and a copy of the marriage bond give this marriage date as 10-11-1917.
Marriage #128 was Thomas Dale Shaw and Goldia Ray Young. Thomas was the son of Joel Cobb Shaw and Lee Ellen Keith. Ray was the daughter of Compton Young and Katherine Lloyd. Two book sources and a copy of the marriage bond give this marriage date as 2-10-1918.
Marriage #130 was Fred W. Mingus and Catherine May Shain. Fred was the son of J. Fred Mingus and Rose Berry. "Catie" was the daughter of John Breckenridge Shain and Sarah Palestine Sebastian.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids