Search billions of records on

1853 Articles and Other Items

6 MAY 1853, Friday

TAKE NOTICE. - I shall not be answerable for any debts my son, William Henry, may incur. William Hoskin WHITING. Bodmin, May 5, 1853.

NOTICE. - I, Richard BENNY, do hereby give notice that I will not be responsible for any debts that West Briton, Friday 6th May, 1853 may be contracted after this date by my wife, Nanny Benny. Richard Benny. Calestock, Perranzabuloe, April 29, 1853.

A SHIP ON FIRE. - We recently gave an account of a fire on board the ship "Adelaide," 492 tons, on her voyage from Australia, which broke out in the middle of the ocean, in lat. 25 S., long. 67 e., on the 4th of February, but was eventually extinguished by the prompt and energetic exertions of the captain and crew. The vessel arrived with her crew and passengers and valuable cargo at the Mauritins? On the 11th of February, and a Mauritius paper which has been forwarded to us, mentions in high terms the undaunted courage and presence of mind ??inced by Captain TREMEARNE, (of St. Ives), in a time of great difficulty and imminent danger. The following testimonial was signed by the whole of the passengers:- To Captain A.K.N. Tremearne, barque "Adelaide," - Dear Sir, We, the undersigned, passengers by the barque "Adelaide," saved by the Almighty from destruction by fire in that vessel, cannot allow the present opportunity to pass of expressing our most heartfelt thanks to yourself for the unvaried courage, energy, and perseverance which, under God, were doubtless the means of saving all our lives. We have all along full understood the immense responsibility and deep anxiety which have lain upon you through our sad adventure, and we beg to assure you that we have felt throughout the most cheerful confidence that you were both doing and would do all that could be done. Allow us also to assure you of our most affectionate sympathy with you under your late most serious accident, and while we regret that you should thus have suffered, let us express our earnest hope that as the Almighty has so wonderfully preserved you twice from a violent death, he will restore you to us, and suffer you yet to conduct us all safe to our journey's end in the good ship "Adelaide."

ST AUSTELL PETTY SESSIONS. - At these sessions held on Tuesday last, a waggoner of St. Stephens, named LARK, who has before had similar charges preferred against him, was fined 2. 2s. for obstructing the thoroughfare on the eastern turnpike.

A carpenter of Tregony, named William JACOBS, was charged with beating and assaulting a person named Tregenza, for which a fine was inflicted with costs.

A woman called Jane GEORGE of Mevagissey, was committed to Bodmin gaol for leaving her two children chargeable to the parish.

HELSTON POLICE - On Monday last a woman named Ann HEATH, was taken before Mr. ROGERS, mayor, charged with stealing a piece of beef, about 4 lbs. from the standing of Mr. JEWELL, butcher, on the Saturday evening previous. It appears the prisoner (who was in liquor at the time) was in company with another woman who took the meat from her on her stealing it, and immediately decamped, and has not as yet been found. The prisoner was committed to take her trial at the next quarter sessions of the borough.

LONDON GAZETTE - Tuesday, May 3, 1853. Royal Cornwall and Devon Miners Regiment of Militia - Nicholas KENDALL, junior, Esq., to be Captain, April 25? 2nd Cornwall Rifle Regiment - John Salesbury TRELAWNY? Esq., to be 1st Captain; William Pryce MICHELL, Gent, to be Surgeon, April 29.

NEWS FROM AUSTRALIA. - The following are extracts of a letter from Mr. W. H. BOASE, who emigrated from St. Ives to Australia, and dates his letter from Adelaide, January 18th, 1853. He says - "I do not regret leaving home; though I have sacrificed the comforts of Old England, I would rather be here. It is a plentiful land: there is food for the hungry and good wages for the labourer, and the master is no more independent than his servant. We arrived at Adelaide, December the 16th, after a voyage of four months, and you can imagine better than I can describe how glad we were once more to set our foot on land. The first day I went ashore I saw Capt. TREMEARNE (of St. Ives). I went on board his vessel, and can speak well of him for his kind treatment of me; he offered to do all in his power to get me a situation." The writer then states that he went to the Burra Burra mines, where he remained about a fortnight, and was then informed that his brother had returned from the diggings, and had sent up 6 for him. On that he returned to Adelaide where he saw his brother and they were both intending the next week to go to the diggings. He found it to be a very fine country between Adelaide and the Burra Burra; sometimes over large plains as flat as a table and appearing nearly all good for cultivation. On Christmas eve they camped on an open plain, made a fire and took tea, and afterwards sang a Christmas carol, which brought into his mind many thoughts about home. It is a fine country for both shipping and farming; things at present are dear, but wages are high. Ship-carpenters' wages are from 14s. to 15s. per day; labourers in the harvest field et from 10s. to 12s. per day with rations; sawyers from 16s. to 20s. and 25s. per day.

13 MAY 1853, Friday

SUMMER FASHIONS. - Miss DICKSON begs respectfully to inform the Ladies of Cornwall of her return from London. Her show rooms are now ready for inspection. Apprentices Wanted. High Cross, Truro, May 11th, 1853.

NOTICE. - All persons having claims on the Estate of Mr. Martin THOMAS, late of Redruth, in this county, Mine Agent, deceased, are requested immediately to send me particulars thereof for examination and discharge. And all persons indebted to the said Estate, are requested to pay the amount of their respective debts to me, at my office, on or before Friday the 20th of May instant. James THOMAS, Charlestown Villa, St. Austell. Dated Charlestown, St. Austell, May 10, 1853.

WHEREAS, David MOORE left his home at Truro, on Tuesday the 5th of April, to proceed to Perran Wharf, where he had a small sum of money to receive - since he received the money he has not been heard of. David Moore is about 60 years of age, a short thick set man, with florid complexion, and had on when he left his home black trousers, black waistcoat and velveteen jacket, carrying a stick in his hand. Whoever may have seen him after this time and can give any information of him to his wife and afflicted family, will be thankfully rewarded. Cerclaw Terrace, Truro, May 11, 1853.

LINE OF PACKETS FOR THE WEST COAST OF AMERICA. - Will be dispatched about the 1st of June, for VALPARAISO and CLADERA, the splendid Liverpool built ship, "GEORGINA," Capt George WILLIAMS, A 1. at Lloyds for twelve years, 555 tons Register; is a remarkably fast sailer, and in all respects a very superior conveyance; has first rate cabin accommodation and room for a limited number of miners. For rate of passage money, &c., apply to COTESWORTH, WYNNE & LYNE, Liverpool, or to WILLIAM CARNE, Falmouth.

NOTICE TO PERSONS PROCEEDING TO QUEBEC. - The fast sailing Ship, "JAMES MORAN," will sail from Plymouth, on the 19th instant, taking passengers at a very moderate sum, which will include 3 lbs of bread, 3 lbs of wheaten flour, 2lbs of rice, lb sugar, 2ozs of tea, and 21 quarts of water per week. All luggage free of charge. She will be despatched under the superintendence of Mr. J.R. WILCOCKS, Plymouth. Applications also may be made to Mr. OKE, Truro; Mr. William JOHNS, Helston; Mr W. ALLEN, Penzance; Mr GEAKE, St. Thomas's, Launceston; Mr. James JOHNS, ???: Mr. DONEY, Liskeard. Dated May 3, 1853.

KING'S COLLEGE. - A prize for Surgery has been awarded at this college to Mr. W.H. DODGE, son of Mr. Dodge, of St. Austell.

HELSTON QUARTER SESSIONS. - These adjourned sessions were held on Monday before Mr. BEVAN, Recorder, when Mary HEATH was charged with stealing a piece of beef, about three pounds and a half weight, from John JEWELL, butcher, and the jury having found her guilty, she was sentenced to one month's imprisonment.

TRURO POLICE. - On the 5th inst., James HOCKIN, George HALEY, and Richard JOHNS, labourers of Truro, were charged before the magistrates, with assaulting John PHILLIPS of the George and Dragon Inn, on the night of the 30th ultimo. Hockin was find 2 and costs; Haley and Johns were each find 10s. and costs, which they paid, but Hockin in default of payment was committed to the house of correction for two months. On Saturday, George GOODMAN of Truro, lodging house keeper, was charged with assaulting William HODGE of Truro, labourer. He was find 2 and costs, and in default of payment was committed for two months.

HELSTON FLORA DAY. - This time-honoured festival was held on Monday last, with much more than usual gaiety and spirit. The weather in the morning threatened to be unpropitious, but after a slight shower it soon cleared up. At the early day of day a band of musicians aroused the inhabitants from their slumbers, and a party of young people danced through the town to the sound of the Flora tone? The old party of men and boys, known as the "Hale-an-Tow," soon made their appearance, singing the well known song of "Robin Hood and Little John," and perambulated the town, making collections from house to house to welcome the summer home, "The Summer and the May O." From an early hour in the morning till about noon, numerous parties arrived from the neighbouring towns, and at one o'clock, Helston streets were filled with fashionably dressed people. About two o'clock the principal Flora dance through the houses, gardens, and streets, took place, which was led off by Mr. Frederick HILL and Mrs. ADAMS, followed by Lieut GRYLLS, 62nd regiment and Miss Adelaide TREVENEN, and about thirty other couples. This was closed by a country dance in the ball room at the Angel Inn. He room was neatly decorated and crowded, and all present appeared to take a lively interest and enjoy the day. Several other parties followed, and the street dancing was kept up until a late hour of the evening. The utmost order, hilarity, and cheerfulness pervaded all the festivities, and the Flora day of 1853 surpassed that of many former years. The Ball in the evening was very well and fashionably attended, it being opened by Mr. Molesworth St. AUBYN, and Mrs. Adams. Nothing could exceed the admirable arrangement of the stewards, and dancing was kept up with great spirit. The company began to disperse soon after four a.m. and everyone appeared to be thoroughly gratified with the proceedings of the day.

CAPTURE OF A ROGUE. - A miner called James CARTER, of Camborne, lodged with a widow at Liskeard named Ann PELLEW. On Saturday last, the miner absconded and took with him 20 3s. belonging to the widow. A policeman was despatched from Liskeard to Camborne, but could not find the rogue. Information was given to Mr. Armitage, superintendent of police on the West Cornwall Railway, and on Monday morning as Carter was about to enter a railway carriage, Mr. Rowe, the station master of Camborne (who with Armitage had been on the look out) took him by the collar and walked him into the station-house, where he was searched by Armitage, and then sent to Truro by train, the Liskeard officer having gone to that town, who then conveyed him to Liskeard. The man was dressed in new clothes when taken, and was just about to leave Camborne for North America.

20 MAY 1853, Friday

COUNTY COURT OF CORNWALL, PENZANCE. - Whereas a Petition of GEORGE GRANT BOSUSTOW, now of the parish of Saint Erth, where he has resided since the Fourth day of November last, and for four years previous OF THE PARISH OF Saint Buryan, both in the County of Cornwall, Farm Bailiff, formerly a farmer, an Insolvent Debtor, having been filed in the County Court of Cornwall, at Penzance, in the said County and an Interim Order for protection from Process having been given to the said George Grant Bosustow, under the Provisions of the Statutes in that case made and proved. The said George Grant Bouts is hereby required to appear in such aforesaid Court, on the Fourteenth day of June next, at Ten o'clock in the Forenoon precisely, for his first examination touching his Debts, Estate, and Effects, and to be further dealt with according to the provisions of the said Statutes. And notice is hereby given that the choice of the creditors' Assignees is to take place at the time so appointed. All persons indebted to the said George Grant Bosustow, or who have any of his effects, are not to pay or deliver the same but to Mr. Francis PAYNTER, the Clerk of the said Court, at his office at Penzance, aforesaid, the Official Assignee, nominated in that behalf by the said Court, acting in the matter of the said Petition. FRANCIS PAYNTER, Clerk. Dated 10th May, 1853.

STAMP OFFICE, PENRYN. - The Lords Commissioners of her Majesty's Treasury, have appointed Mr. John GILL, stationer. To the office of sub-distributor of Stamps, at Penryn.

UNIVERSITY OF ST ANDREW'S - In the list of gentlemen who had the degree of Doctor of Medicine conferred on them at this University on the 6th instant, we find that of James NICHOLLS, M.R.C.S., L.A.C., of Trekenning, near St. Columb.

NEW PATENT. - A patent has been granted to Mr. John TRESTRAIL, formerly of Truro, now of Southampton, for raising sunken vessels or other materials from under the water or in the sea, or to prevent them from sinking.

ESCAPE OF AN EMIGRANT SHIP. - The American ship "Connecticut," Mr. WILLIAMS commander, which left Liverpool on the 21st of last month for New York, with about six hundred emigrants on board, has just succeeded in reaching Falmouth, after a most narrow escape of being overcome by a succession of frightful gales to the westward of Cape Clear. Attempts were made to bear up for Cork, but in retracing her course, she narrowly escaped destruction by collision. The ship "Martha Rae," in attempting to speak with her got foul of her, and occasioned considerable mischief. She was unable to reach Cork. Some pilots succeeded in boarding her off the Scilly Islands, and a steam tug subsequently coming within hail, she was employed to take the "Connecticut" in tow, and she was got into Falmouth. The emigrants seem to have suffered greatly.

REDRUTH COUNTY COURT. - At this court, held on the 12th instant, there were one hundred and eighteen cases entered for trial, several of which were settled out of court. In the case of MICHELL v. JURY, Mr. H. ROGERS appeared for plaintiff. Two actions were brought by the plaintiff, Mr. William MICHELL, of Newham, one to recover possession of premises situate at Tolgus in Redruth, the other for one year's rent due for the same premises. Defendant entered in June, 1850, as tenant from year to year, and notice to quit was duly served on defendant in September last, in consequence of injury done by him to the premises. His Honor directed the warrant for possession to issue on the 19th instant, and also gave judgement for plaintiff for one year's rent.

SLEEMAN v. TANGYE - Mr. H. ROGERS for plaintiff, Mr. DOWNING for defendant. Plaintiff sued for 5 rent due from Michaelmas to Lady-day 1853. Plaintiff let the premises in September, 1852 at the rate of 10 a year, payable quarterly, - six months' notice by either party to determine the tenancy, and defendant to pay all outgoings and taxes the same as the former tenant, Mr. BENNETTS. Mr. Thomas SIMS was present when the contract was made, and corroborated plaintiff. Defendant, however, stated that at the time the bargain was made nothing was said about paying all outgoings and taxes and he paid 5 (less the amount of taxes) into court two days previous to the trial. His Honor was of opinion that the evidence preponderated in favour of plaintiff and gave judgment for 5 accordingly.

RETALLACK v. JAMES. - Mr. DOWNING appeared for plaintiff, Mr. H. ROGERS for defendant. This was an action for two years' use and occupation of a messuage in Pool, at 6 per annum. It appeared that plaintiff was half brother to defendant, and claimed the above sum as administrator of his father. Defendant and her mother resided in the house in question for several years after the father's death and paid no rent, and plaintiff now claimed two years' rent since the mother's death. Defendant, however, stated that she had not lived there since her mother's death, - that an invalid sister has always resided there, and that she had lived in a house which the Tincroft adventurers had given to her in consideration of her husband having been killed in the mine. Mr. NETTELL, who had been employed to wind up the father's estate, was then called to give evidence; but the brothers and sisters manifested so much angry feeling towards each other, and interrupted the Court so many times, that his Honor suggested that the case should be settled by arbitration, and Mr. Harris of Pool, consented to act as arbitrator. It appears that Mr. Retallack has had twenty eight children, sixteen by his first wife, and twelve by the second - sixteen of whom are now living, and twelve were present at the trial.

TRURO POLICE - On Friday last, William HOCKING of Truro, labourer, was charged with assaulting William PHILLIPS, landlord of the George and Dragon Inn, St. Austell Street. On the previous Saturday night, Hocking and three other men (HOCKING, HALEY and JOHNS) went into the George and Dragon, and called for liquor, which the landlord refused to give them. They then commenced ill-using him, and at last knocked him down, and whilst the servant went to the police-station they made their escape, but were afterwards summoned for the offence. William Hocking was fined 10s. and costs, or one month's imprisonment; the others were fined as stated last week.

On Monday last, Josiah TEAGUE, of Chacewater, was charged with leaving a horse and cart laden with coal, in Kenwyn Street, longer than was necessary, between nine and ten at night, to the obstruction of traffic. He was ordered to pay ten shillings and expenses.

Frederick TREWEAR, a stone cutter, working on the railway was charged with being drunk and disorderly on Saturday night, and with breaking seven panes of glass in a window belonging to Edward COCK, beerhouse keeper in Pydar Street. It appears that Trewear, on Cock refusing to draw beer for him, went into the street and threw two or three large stones at the window, which smashed the glass, and made a large mark on the partition inside. He received a good character from Mr. GREGSON, sub-contractor, and the case was remanded until Monday next.

Richard LOWRY, labourer, was also remanded for a week, on a charge of being drunk, and assaulting William ILES, beerhouse keeper in Kenwyn Street.

SERIOUS VAN ACCIDENT - On Saturday evening last, KELLOW's van was upset near Lostwithiel bridge, when Captain WILLCOCKS, of St. Germans, had his thigh broken, and a severe contusion of the head, which rendered him for some time insensible. The van was very heavily laden, and a piano, two sofas, and boxes fell on the man. Mrs. Jones the pew-opener of Lostwithiel church had her arm broken just above the elbow, and was much bruised in the head. Two elderly females were much cut and bruised, but were shortly afterwards able to proceed to St. Austell.

PARISH OF FALMOUTH - The parish of Falmouth has at last a police force established, as well as the town to look after the property of the inhabitants.

CORONER'S INQUESTS. - The following inquests have been held by Mr. John CARLYON, county coroner:- On Saturday last at Tuckingmill on the body of William QUINTRELL, miner, aged 23 years, who died from injuries he sustained from a fall underground, in West Stray Park Mine. It appeared that on Tuesday the 10th instant, the deceased and his comrades, who were shaftmen, had occasion to charge the bucket, and the former left his comrades to go up to the adit level for the purpose of unhooking the kibble when it arrived there on its way down, and sending the chain down for them to attach the bucket to. He had not left them for more than a few minutes before he came tumbling down the shaft, and lodged on a pent-house about fourteen fathoms below the adit. This was about six feet above his comrades, who, after some difficulty got him into the level and had him conveyed to the surface, and taken thence to his house in Illogan parish, where he died from the injuries he received, the following Thursday. It is supposed that in drawing the kibble into the level to unhook it, he overbalanced himself and fell into the shaft. Verdict "accidental death."

On Tuesday the 17th inst., at Newquay in the parish of Lower St. Columb, on the body of Mr. James HICKS, aged 80 years, (the father of Mr. Hicks the harbour-master of that place), who was killed on Monday by falling over the cliff at a place very much resorted to by many parties in Newquay as a look out, at the eastern corner of the row of cellars on the road to the pier from the upper part of the town. There was at this place a seat where the old man was frequently in the habit of going, and as he was going there on Monday, there is no doubt he was seized with a lightness of the head, and fell forward over the cliff, which is from eighty to one hundred feet high. He was killed on the spot. His son was coming up from the pier, by the Quay road, and saw his father about a hundred years before him apparently trying to get hold of the seat, when he lost sight of him all at once, and a person named Thomas HENWOOD, who was in a vessel in the pier, saw him fall over and immediately went to his assistance, but found him lying on his right side - a corpse. The place is considered by all the inhabitants a most dangerous one, it being close to the road to the pier, and being quite unprotected from the cliff. The number of pigs which the poorer inhabitants have lost by their falling over this place is almost incredible; and it is only surprising that more human lives have not been lost. The jury returned a verdict of "accidental death," but expressed a hope that the lord of the manor (the representative of the estate of the late Mr J.T. TREFFRY,) would continue the present parapet wall to the seat in question, in order to guard against future casualties, and requested the coroner to write him on the subject.

The following inquests have been held before Mr. HICHENS, County coroner; - At Tyack's Hotel, Camborne, on Saturday last, on a male child found at Little Pulstrong, in Camborne, on Friday the 10th instant. Verdict, "found dead, cause of death not known."

On Wm. Trevarthen, who fell suddenly and died on Saturday on the road to work from his own house to Rosewarne Downs to Wheal Seton Mine, aged 40 years. Verdict, "died by the visitation of God."

MINING MANAGEMENT - TESTIMONIAL. - During the past week, a few friends connected with mining matters, under the management of Mr. R.C. MANUEL, of 26 Austin Friars, presented him with a diamond ring and a set of diamond shirt studs, as a slight memorial of their respect for his integrity, zeal and ability, in the management of those mines under his charge which they are connected with.

27 MAY 1853, Friday

NOTICE - I, William BOULDEN, of the parish of Wendron, do Hereby Give Notice that I will not be answerable for any Debt or Debts which my wife, Esther Boulden, may contract after this public notice. Witness my hand this 24th of May, 1853. William Boulden. Witness, George F. COUCH.

CHILD RESCUED FROM DROWNING. - On Sunday last, as two little boys, sons of Mr. Stephen SAWLE, innkeeper, Falmouth, were at the back door of the inn, the eldest about five years of age, got into a boat and fell overboard. The water at the time was twelve or thirteen feet deep, and but for the timely arrival of Mr. Walter KASTELL, carpenter, the child must have been drowned. He fortunately got hold of the little fellow with a boat hook and rescued him uninjured.

DESERTION OF FAMILY. - On Friday last, James HAMPTON of Menheniot, was taken before the Rev. James GLENCROSS, charged by Mr. Thomas ALLEN, relieving officer, with running away and leaving his wife and children chargeable to the common fund of the Liskeard union. After hearing the evidence of the relieving officer, and his proof of chargeability, the magistrates committed him for one month.

UNLUCKY ROGUE - Tow men of St. Columb known as Jack TIPPETT and CHIDLEY, went late on Saturday night last to the St. Columb rectory, for the purpose of stealing young rooks. Chidley being expert at climbing, mounted a tree more than forty feet high, whilst Tippett remained below waiting for the prey. Chidley threw down a few birds to his companion, and was passing from one tree to another, when he missed his hold, and instead of Tippett catching another rook, he found his accomplice lying prostrate at his feet. He was so much alarmed at his companion's fall, that instead of taking him from the premises to avoid discovery, he ran into St. Columb, and called Mr. MARTYN, a surgeon, and in his fright also called to inform policeman COOMBES. They went to the spot and found Chidley on the ground, and having placed him on a gate, with some assistance he was removed to his house, where he now lies in a dangerous state. His arm was broken in two places, and he was also very much bruised and shaken by the fall. It is hoped the severe punishment he has received will be a warning to him and to others, to leave off these midnight depredations upon their neighbours' property.

TRURO POLICE. - On Saturday last, James MOORE, a servant of Mr. MORELAND, the proprietor of the theatre at the Truro fair, was charged with stealing a quantity of canvass and 4 lbs. Weight of lead pipe, the property of Mr. Moreland; but as the latter was not likely to be in the county at the time of the next quarter sessions, he requested that he should be allowed to decline prosecution. The property was traced by Mr. NASH, police inspector, to the warehouse of Mr. BURRIDGE, marine store dealer, Truro.

CORONERS' INQUESTS. - The following inquests have been held before Mr. John CARLYON, county coroner:- On Saturday last, at Pentewan, in the parish of St. Austell, on the body of John WARNE, aged 30 years, who was drowned on Friday last, while bathing in the sea at Pentewan Beach. The deceased had been a servant to Mr. T. COODE, of St. Austell, for upwards of fifteen years, and on Friday last he had driven part of his master's family to Pentewan, and between one and two o'clock, he went to the beach to have a bathe. A few minutes after he got into the water, a man called John OLIVER observed that he was floating apparently lifeless, with nothing above water but the back part of his head. He called the attention of two gentlemen who were dressing on the beach to the position of the body. One of them, Mr. Holden Donald HILL, immediately ran to the spot, and swam out after it and brought it ashore. Although every means was had recourse to, to restore animation, it was of no avail. He was not seen to struggle, or heard to make any alarm, and it is supposed that he had a seizure of some kind which rendered him powerless, immediately on his getting into the water. Verdict, accidentally drowned.

On the same day, at Stithians, on the body of Methusaleh PHILLIPS, miner, aged 42 years, who was killed by a "stull" giving way under him whilst he was at work the day before in Wheal Buller Mine. Verdict, accidental death.

On Wednesday the 25th inst., at Trevarth, in Gwennap, on the body of Thomas JAMES, miner, aged 17 years, who died very suddenly on Tuesday morning. It appears that deceased had walked to Portreath? On Sunday, and it was supposed that he had poisoned himself by eating a quantity of limpets; but from the evidence of Mr. MICHELL, surgeon, it would appear that death was caused by the rupture of a blood vessel. A verdict was given accordingly.

On the same day at Carnkye, in the parish of Redruth, on the body of James THOMAS, miner, aged 21 years, who was killed at Treloshack? Mine, on Tuesday by a stone falling down the shaft, and fracturing his skull. He died in a quarter of an hour after he was brought to the surface. Verdict, accidental death.

The following inquests have been held by Mr. HAMLEY, county coroner:- At Liskeard union house on the 17th instant, on Ann MALLETT, a young woman. It appeared that she was admitted as an inmate from Looe, on the 28th of April, 1849. She was idiotic and subject to fits. She was put to bed as usual on the night of the 16th instant, but on the nurse going into her room in the morning, she found her lying on her side, dead. There was no doubt that she died in a fit, and the jury returned a verdict accordingly.

At St. Austell on the 21st instant, on John THOMAS, a miner aged sixty years. He worked at Rocks and Treverbyn United Mines. He and his son were cutting a plat in the twenty-fathoms level, when a piece of earth came away on him. His son soon got him out, procured assistance, and he was brought to grass and carried to his home. His thigh was broken, and he was otherwise so much injured, that he died in consequent. Capt. Stephen SYMONS, one of the captains of the mine, was at the plat in the forenoon, and satisfied the jury that all was safe at that time. William Thomas, his son, said that he was close by his father when the earth came away, and that he did not consider there was the least danger. They had all requisite materials by them. Verdict - accidental death.

LONDON, WEDNESDAY MAY 23, 1853. - From the London Gazette Tuesday, May 21, 1853. Commission signed by the Warden of the Stannaries. Royal Cornwall and Devon Miners Regiment. Ralph Shutleworth ALLEN Esq., Captain half-pay Royal Artillery, to be Major, vice Willyams, resigned May 20.

PARTNERSHIP DISSOLVED - Louisa CREASE and Susan BLAKE, Liskeard, milliners and dressmakers.


[  BACK  ]