Note for: Atha Ellender Littleton, - Index
Note for: John Roe, ABT. 1842 - 6 APR 1881 Index
Place: Ross Chapel Cemetery
Note for: Theresa Ann Tabor, 7 MAY 1846 - 29 JUN 1921 Index
Place: (buried in Ross Chapel Cemetery, Olive Hill, Carter County, Kentucky)
Note for: Andrew Ash, - Index
Note for: James Edward Roe, 8 APR 1853 - 10 APR 1950 Index
Date: APR 1950
Place: Stone Cemetery, Lewis County, Kentucky
Note for: Calista Stone, 23 NOV 1857 - 31 AUG 1943 Index
Date: AUG 1943
Place: Stone Cemetery, Lewis County, Kentucky
Note for: Samuel Henry Roe, 11 APR 1857 - 22 FEB 1939 Index
Place: Pond Creek "Mershon/Swords" Cemetery, Union Twp., Scioto County, OhioIndividual Note:
Subject: BACON/ROE . 12/15/98.
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:46:22 -0500
Sunday John E. Donohew sent me his new ged.com web page address. I noticed in his listing of Samuel Henry Roe (son of Isom and Ellen Harrison (Gilbert) Roe.) some errors. I wrote him and asked his source of information and he refered me to your web page. So I checked your page on Samuel Henry Roe.
My question is what is your source of information on Samuel's second wife
Eldora BACON? Eldora is connected to the Bacon family in some way but that
was not her maiden name. Actually Samuel Henry Roe had three wives and
Eldora and Samuel Roe was my husband's grandparents and I have researched
this family for about 25 or 30 years. Eldora's mother died when she (Eldora ) was about five years of age. Another family supposely raised her but I have no idea who that family was. I have heard of the Bacon name before from different sources but can't seem to "pinpoint" the relationship with the Bacon's and any other family member for that time period.
I will be hoping for a reply soon as I am really curious about the Bacon
Subject:SAMUEL HENRY ROE. 1/2/98
Date:Sat, 2 Jan 1999 21:05:51 -0500
To: "Carolyn Kessler"
Samuel Henry Roe; born "Big Sinking" Carter Co., Kentucky, 11, April 1857
the son of Isom Morris and Ellen (Nellie) (Gilbert) Roe died 22, February 1939 Dupont, Jefferson Co., Indiana; buried Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio.
Samuel Henry Roe married first, 31, December 1877 Lewis Co., Kentucky to
Rebecca Jane Lewis born October 1863; died 1901; buried Stone Family
Cemetery Lewis Co., Kentucky; daughter of James and America (Meck)
ISSUE OF SAMUEL HENRY AND REBECCA JANE (LEWIS) ROE;
1. Mary Alice; died young.
2. Hilda Bell; died young.
3. Anna Jane; died young.
4. Nettie Lee; died young.
5. Bertie F.; born 1, February 1887 Kentucky; died 21 September 1976;
buried Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery, Union Twp. Scioto Co., Ohio;
married August Piatt (1893-1966)
6. Millard H.; born May 1889 Kentucky.
7. Minta Pearl; born August 1892 Lewis Co., Kentucky; died 2, May 1985 at
Scioto Memorial Convalescant Center, Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio; buried
Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery. Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio; husband
8. Margaret G. born July 1894 Lewis Co., Kentucky; died 1960; buried Pond
Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery Scioto Co., Ohio; married Jackson Edward
9. .Morris Bruce; born June 1898 Lewis Co., Kentucky; died 12, January
1972 West Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio; buried Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords)
Cemetery, Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio; married first, Bertie McClothin;
married second, Bessie (Willis) Goodman (daughter of Martha Alice (Mitchell)
and Elbert Willis; granddaughter of Ellen (Roe) and Alexander Mitchell )
10. Emery Lester;
11. Chesley Thomas;
Samuel Henry Roe married second 12, April 1902 in Lewis Co., Kentucky to
Isadora (she changed the name to Eldora then to Dora) (have found all three names used) Dement (the surname of Bacon/Beacon has appeared but she lived with a Bacon/Beacon family and used that surname on occasion.) Eldora Dement born 2, July 1864 in Scioto Co., Ohio the daughter of William Smith Dement and his wife Malinda (Thornburg) Dement; died 15, January 1939 at Pond Creek, Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio; buried Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery, Pond Creek, Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio. Eldora had married first 8,
February 1880 to John William Swords (her first cousin) and had eight children by that marriage. They were separated/divorced by 1900 Kentucky Census. Eldora married third Leonard Smith in 1927 and fourth Thomas Edgington in 1933.
ISSUE OF SAMUEL HENRY AND ELDORA (DEMENT) ROE;
1. Elmer Samuel; born 18, Feburary 1903 Maysville, Mason Co., Kentucky;
died 13, January 1985 Muncie, Delaware Co., Indiana; buried Beechgrove
Cemetery, Muncie, Delaware Co., Indiana; married 24, December 1923
Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio Clara Jesse Matthews (1907-1990): daughter of Reuben Thomas and Maude Elizabeth (Bell) Matthews (my husband's parents).
2. Nora Ellen; born 1904 Scioto Co., Ohio; died May 1969; buried Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery , Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio; married first 27, January 1920 Thomas Brown; second Ross Halderman.
3. Amil/Emel; born 2, February 1907 Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio; died 15, June 1995 Losantville, Randolph Co., Indiana; married 2, July 1926 Portsmouth, Scioto Co., Ohio Rebecca Vance.
Samuel Henry Roe married third May/Mae Akers; (date of divorce from Eldora
or date of marriage to May not known). This couple always lived in Dupont,
Jefferson Co., Indiana.
ISSUE OF SAMUEL HENRY AND MAY (AKERS) ROE;
1. Bernard William; born 11, May 1914; died December 1978 Dupont,
Jefferson Co., Indiana; married Mary ____?
2. Jessie Willard; born 8, April 1913; died 6, December 1989.
3. Robert Carl; died young.
4. Virgil; died young.
5. James Edward; Living in North Vernon, Indiana 1972; 1976;1985 according to family obits; married Luella _____?
Note; Pond Creek (Mershon/Swords) Cemetery is one rather small cemetery
located on Pond Creek in Union Twp., Scioto Co., Ohio. Originally started by the Mershon and Swords families at a early date. Name changed to Pond Creek Cemetery in some records. (active).
Note for: Isadora Dement, 2 JUL 1864 - 15 JAN 1939 Index
Alias: Eldora or /Dora/
Note for: Amy Louisa Gilbert, 7 DEC 1870 - 19 MAY 1932 Index
· Born December 7, 1870 in Jasper County, Iowa.
· She moved with parents at age of 15 (about 1885) from Iowa to Ogallala, Keith County, NB where they homesteaded.
· Small fan that says Amy Gilbert, Oct. 26, 1888, Minnie Stewart teacher (NKP).
· She taught school for several years in Keith and Lincoln Counties after graduating from Ogallala schools (obituary).
· Apr 7, 1903 is the date in Bible (NKP)
· Son Sam died in France in WWI. Amy visited his grave on a Gold Star Mother's trip May 3 to June 9, 1930. Diary of the trip, newspaper photo of her at grave, her with 5 other women on board ship (NKP)
· The death certificate indicated onset of breast cancer in 1929. The obituary reported that she was In ill health since fall of 1930. She died of breast cancer.
· Letter dated Aug 29, 1930 requesting plums from a friend Alicea Gray Clark in Ogalalla (NKP).
· Member of Sutherland Rebecca Lodge and American Yoeman Lodge since 1923. Member of Legion Auxillary and the Presbyterian Church (obituary).
· The obituary reported 13 grandchildren, 3 of them at home since death of mother in 1923. Also living were two sisters and five brothers.
· See Section on Descendants of Samuel I. Gilbert for more information on Amy’s parents and siblings.
Note for: William Neal Scheffers, 12 NOV 1876 - 8 APR 1944 Index
Place: Dedham Cemetery
----- Original Message -----
From: Mary Lou Marshall
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 7:38 PM
Just an addition to William Neal Scheffers (my grandfather ) & his brother Fred Govert.
William Neal Scheffers born 12 Nov 1876 in Pella, Iowa. Died 8 April 1944 in Coon Rapids, Iowa. Buried in dedham Cemetery
Fred Govert Scheffers born 8 May 1883 & died 18 Sept 1945 in Marion County, Pella, Iowa. Buried in Oakwood Cemetery...
Mary Lou (Scheffers) Marshall
Note for: Charles Kenneth Bailey, 19 APR 1907 - 25 MAR 1986 Index
Date: MAR 1986
Place: Owingsville Cemetery, Owingsville, Bath County, Kentucky
Note for: Clara Jane Weaver, 3 DEC 1873 - 30 MAY 1932 Index
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2002 5:20 PM
Subject: Lucinda Gilbert
HI, I just found your information that you submitted to the mormon library. My Husband's mother's last name was Johnson. Her mother's name was clara jane weaver. Ephraim S. Weaver and Lucinda Gilbert were Clara Jane's parents. thankyou for answering some of my unknown information on lucinda.
Note for: Samuel Gilbert Weaver, 1876 - 1964 Index