Generation No. 1
1. Matthias1 Preuss was born Abt. 1816 in East Prussia, and died 26 October 1886 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. He married Christina Otto. She was born Abt. 1825 in East Prussia, and died 18 October 1890 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Mathias and Christina (Otto) Preuss immigated from Bremen to New York City, New York aboard the ship Main on 27 March 1880.
Children of Matthias Preuss and Christina Otto are:
2 i. Louis2 Preuss.
Family tradition indicates a Louis and an Albert were 2 brothers that came over with Bertha along with several sisters. Have found no more information on him. (Lee Folino 2002)
+ 3 ii. Anna B. Preuss, born 05 May 1847 in Veronika, East Prussia; died 11 December 1901 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
+ 4 iii. Henrich August Preuss, born 1851 in Orzdin, East Prussia; died 1929 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
+ 6 v. Anna Suzanne Preuss, born 09 February 1857 in Orzdin, East Prussia; died 29 January 1939 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
+ 7 vi. Maria Preuss, born 30 June 1860; died 08 August 1943 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
8 vii. Augusta Hermine Preuss, born Abt. 23 March 1862 in Baptized in Bohlschau, West Prussia; died 1932. She married Deitrich F. Heilman 05 March 1882 in Albany, Albany Co., New York; born 06 June 1857 in Germany; died 25 May 1942 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Augusta Preuss was christened 23 March 1862, Bohlschau, Westpreussen, Preussen. She immigrated with her parents to New York City, New York, aboard the ship Maine on 27 March 1880.
+ 9 viii. Bertha Amalie Preuss, born 06 May 1864 in Sommerhof, Germany; died 30 August 1935 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
+ 10 ix. Albert Carl Preuss, born 25 July 1868 in Baptized in Bohlschau, West Prussia; died 14 March 1950 in Ridgewood, Queens Co., NY.
+ 11 x. Mathilde Henrietta Fredericke Preuss, born 10 February 1866 in Baptized in Bohlschau, West Prussia; died 24 October 1937 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Generation No. 2
3. Anna B.2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 05 May 1847 in Veronika, East Prussia, and died 11 December 1901 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married August H. Samuel. He was born 02 February 1846 in Germany, and died 17 December 1910 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Children of Anna Preuss and August Samuel are:
12 i. Carl Whilhelm Johann3 Samuel, born 01 February 1878.
13 ii. Edward Dietich Samuel, born 21 April 1882.
14 iii. August Christian Samuel, born 30 December 1885.
4. Henrich August2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 1851 in Orzdin, East Prussia, and died 1929 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. He married Maria Lanz. She was born 14 June 1871 in Kirtorfheissen, Darmstadt, and died 18 February 1951 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Children of Henrich Preuss and Maria Lanz are:
15 i. Louise Martha3 Preuss, born 13 December 1896.
16 ii. Margaretha Charlotte Preuss, born 07 July 1901.
17 iii. Ruth Anna Preuss, born 29 September 1909 in Bethlehem, New York; died 22 April 1910 in Bethlehem, New York.
5. Carolina W.2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 05 May 1854 in Veronika, East Prussia1, and died 29 January 1939 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married (1) William Kraft Abt. 1874. He was born Abt. 1847 in Buchow, Pommerania, Germany1, and died Bef. 1900. She married (2) Louis Kinzinger 18 March 1886 in Albany, Albany Co., New York.
In the 1880 Federal Census, William "Craft" is enumerated in the city of Albany, Albany County, New York on 101 Philips Street. He is listed with his wife Carolina (Preuss) "Craft", and daughters Maria, age 5, Bertha age 3, and Mina age 9 months. "Mina" is Wilhelmina. William Kraft is listed as a laborer, born in Prussia. His wife was listed as Keeping House, and as being born in Prussia.
The three daughters are all listed as being born in New York.
Children of Carolina Preuss and William Kraft are:
18 i. Emma3 Kraft. She married Unknown Rosenblith.
+ 19 ii. Maria Kraft, born Abt. 1875 in probably Albany, Albany Co., NY.
20 iii. Bertha Amelia Kraft, born 11 October 1877 in Albany, Albany Co., NY2.
In the 1900 Federal Census for Whiteplains Road, Tarrytown, Westchester, New
York, Bertha, age 22, is enumerated with Emile H. Roth as a servant.
+ 21 iv. Wilhelmina Theresa Augusta Kraft, born 08 September 1879 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 21 August 1954 in Nassau Hospital, North Hempstead, Mineola (Nassau Co) NY. (SEE WILHELMINA AUGUSTA KRAFT IN THE DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM KRAFT FOR MORE INFORMATION.)
22 v. Augusta Louise Kraft, born 06 July 1881 in Albany NY3; died July 1963 in NY3. She married Jacob Barends.
Augusta Kraft was known as "Gussie".
In the 1900 Federal Census for 53 Broad Street, Albany, Albany Co., New York, Augusta is enumerated with Frank Raquet as his "sister in law". (Her sister Marie or Mary married Frank Raquet).
Jacob Barends had been married before and had two children. His first wife died. He died two years after Gussie and he were married, and she never heard from the children again. The children's names are thought to be Anna and Frederick. Gussie and Jacob Barends did not have any children.
23 vi. Johanna Fredericke Kraft, born 19 July 1883 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 24 July 1884 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Children of Carolina Preuss and Louis Kinzinger are:
+ 24 i. Caroline C.3 Kinzinger, born 25 July 1888 in Albany NY; died 22 December 1976 in St Johns Hospital, Queens NY.
25 ii. Albert Kinzinger.
Albert Kinzinger was hit in the head with a hammer, and died about 1943 or 1944.
6. Anna Suzanne2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 09 February 1857 in Orzdin, East Prussia, and died 29 January 1939 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Johann Frederick Gruenwald in East Prussia, Germany. He was born 14 June 1854 in Worle, East Prussia, and died 13 March 1920 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Children of Anna Preuss and Johann Gruenwald are:
26 i. Emilie Auguste3 Greenwald, born 13 September 1880 in Gossentin, East Prussia. She married Anthony Aloysius 27 November 1901 in Albany, Albany Co., New York.
27 ii. Gustav Johann Greenwald, born 1881; died 17 October 1936 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
28 iii. Wilhelm Auguste Greenwald, born 13 September 1883 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 13 September 1914.
29 iv. Albert Anton Greenwald, born 04 November 1885 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 13 March 1962 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
30 v. Eduard Adolph Greenwald, born 16 November 1887 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 01 January 1956 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
31 vi. Anna Augusta Greenwald, born 19 June 1890 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 27 May 1976 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Willliam Carl Hassenbein 21 September 1915 in Albany, Albany Co., New York.
32 vii. Augusta Rosa Greenwald, born 28 July 1892 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 12 September 1953 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married George H. Turner 22 May 1912 in Albany, Albany Co., New York.
7. Maria2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 30 June 1860, and died 08 August 1943 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Adolph Kraft 15 March 1883 in Albany, Albany Co., New York. He was born 21 January 1857 in West Prussia, and died 29 March 1901.
Maria Preuss immigrated with her parents to New York City, NY aboard the ship Main on 27 March 1880.
Children of Maria Preuss and Adolph Kraft are:
33 i. Jacob David Rudolp3 Kraft, born 12 January 1884 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 15 January 1884 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
34 ii. Frederich Jakob Wilhelm Kraft, born 28 November 1884 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
35 iii. Henrich Rudolph Albert Kraft, born 19 September 1886 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 18 February 1962 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
36 iv. Anna Auguste Susanna Kraft, born 21 October 1888 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
37 v. Louise Laura Kraft, born 21 October 1890 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 1974 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Richard Parr.
38 vi. William Adolph Kraft, born 03 September 1893.
9. Bertha Amalie2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 06 May 1864 in Sommerhof, Germany, and died 30 August 1935 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Edward Michael Lustenader 27 November 1887 in Albany, Albany Co., New York, son of August Lustenader and Louisa Bahnmuller. He was born 26 September 1856 in Cherry Ridge (Honesdale), Wayne Co., Pennsylvania, and died 1924 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
Bertha Amalie was christened 16 May 1864, Bohlschau, West Prussia.
Edward Michael Lustenader was christened 26 September 1869, Evangelical Lutheran Church, Honesdale, Pennsylvania. His confirmation was 16 May 1875 in the same church. Between the years 1889-1891, his occupation was a Roofer, and during these same years he was residing at 91 Second Avenue, Albany, New York.
Children of Bertha Preuss and Edward Lustenader are:
39 i. William Albert3 Lustenader, born 16 December 1888. He married Margaret 1915.
40 ii. Edward Louis Lustenader, born 06 October 1892 in 501 Graham Avenue, Brooklyn, Kings Co., New York; died 23 September 1965 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. He married Carolyn Parsons Allen 11 August 1917 in Albany, Albany Co., New York; born 08 July 1896 in Albany, Albany Co., NY; died 10 September 1988 in Albany, Albany Co., NY.
41 iii. Olga Lustenader, born 12 July 1897; died 1983 in Seattle, Washington. She married William Canady 1919.
10. Albert Carl2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 25 July 1868 in Baptized in Bohlschau, West Prussia, and died 14 March 1950 in Ridgewood, Queens Co., NY.
Albert Preus attended the wedding of Irma E. Wallner and Clifton C. Dauphin on 23 November 1935 and signed the guest book. His signature indicates that he spelled "Preus" with one S. And his memorial card also uses this same spelling. Underneath his signature on the wedding guest book are also the names of John Preus and Elsie Preus. It is believed that John was his son, and Elsie was John's wife.
Albert Preus died on 14 March 1950 and was interred in Lutheran All-Faith Cemetery in Middle Village NY on Friday, 17 March 1950. His arrangements were by the Baque Funeral Home, 614 Woodward Avenue in Ridgewood NY, and the funeral service was on Thursday,16 March 1950 at 8:30 p.m., with the Rev. Hemphries, Pastor of the Ridgewood Christian Church.
Child of Albert Carl Preuss is:
42 i. John3 Preuss, born 27 September 18964; died June 19684. He married Elsie; born 20 November 18965; died October 19735.
11. Mathilde Henrietta Fredericke2 Preuss (Matthias1) was born 10 February 1866 in Baptized in Bohlschau, West Prussia, and died 24 October 1937 in Albany, Albany Co., NY. She married Friedrich Ristau.
Mathilde Preuss was born on 10 February 1866. She was christened 18 February 1866 in Bohlschau, West Prussia.
Children of Mathilde Preuss and Friedrich Ristau are:
43 i. Wilhelm Friedrich3 Ristau, born 23 July 1888.
44 ii. August Carl Ristau, born 20 July 1890.
Generation No. 3
19. Maria3 Kraft (Carolina W.2 Preuss, Matthias1) was born Abt. 1875 in probably Albany, Albany Co., NY6. She married Frank Racquet.
Children of Maria Kraft and Frank Racquet are:
45 i. John4 Racquet. Died as an infant.
46 ii. Carl Racquet. Died at age 2.
+ 47 iii. Mildred Racquet, born 02 October 1900; died 07 July 1984.
21. Wilhelmina Theresa Augusta3 Kraft (Carolina2 Preuss, Matthias1) was born 08 September 1879 in Albany, Albany Co., NY6, and died 21 August 1954 in Nassau Hospital, North Hempstead, Mineola (Nassau Co) NY6. She married (1) William John Brandenstein 27 November 1901 in St Johannes Ev. Lutheran Church, Brooklyn (Kings Co.) NY7. He died Bef. 1911. She married (2) Joseph Louis Wallner 02 September 1911 in Our Lady of Lourdes RC Church Rectory, 11 DeSales Pl, Brooklyn (Kings Co) NY8. He was born 23 October 1873 in Pastetten Bavaria9, and died 08 February 1953 in 87 Aberdeen Road, New Hyde Park, No. Hempstead (Nassau Co.) NY10. (SEE WILHELMINA AUGUSTA KRAFT IN THE DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM KRAFT FOR MORE INFORMATION.)
Child of Wilhelmina Kraft and Joseph Wallner is:
+ 48 i. Irma Elizabeth4 Wallner, born 06 January 1913; died February 1977.
24. Caroline C.3 Kinzinger (Carolina W.2 Preuss, Matthias1) was born 25 July 1888 in Albany NY12, and died 22 December 1976 in St Johns Hospital, Queens NY13. She married Clarence C. Howell Aft. 1911, son of James Howell and Carrie Crawford. He was born 1877 in Newark, NJ, and died 25 March 1930 in Boston MA.
Caroline C. Kinzinger was known as "Carrie". She was the half sister of Wilhelmina Augusta Kraft, and was a witness to Wilhelmina, or "Minnie's" second marriage to Josef Louis Wallner on 2 September 1911 in our Lady of Lourdes RC Church Rectory in Brooklyn NY, and was single at that time, as she signed her name in this record as Caroline Kinzinger.
The George Werst Inc. Funeral Home record for Caroline K. Howell, lists her occupation as housewife at the time of her death. Her residence is listed as 79-40 77th Road, Glendale, NY, and the record notes that she was widowed. Her daughter, Miriam (Howell) Jung's address is noted as the same, so it would appear that Carrie was living with her daughter at the time of her deah. Her son, Norman Howell's, address is recorded as 99 Kelsey Avenue, Huntington Station NY in this same record.
Carrie was 88 years old at the time of her death. Her funeral was held on Friday December 24, 1976 at 10:30 am and she was interred at Mt. Olivet Cemetery, 6540 Grand Avenue, Maspeth, NY in Grave 2, Lot 5337, Section I
Clarence C. Howell:
Clarence Howell's occupation was a carpenter, and he is also listed as "foreman" of that trade on his funeral home record.
At the time of his death, his wife Caroline was residing at 99 Georgia Avenue, Long Beach NY. According to the Weigand Bros. Funeral Home, 49 Hillside Avenue, Williston Park, NY record, Clarence had a brother, Harry Howell. Their record also indicates that "Miss Kinzinger" was residing at 7809 Sandol Street., Brooklyn NY. It is unknown who this "Miss Kinzinger" is, but it is recognized that Josef Wallner and wife Wilhelmina Kraft were living at 659 Sandol Street in 1925, so this might have been one of Wilhelmina's half-sisters from her mother, Caroline (Preuss) Kraft's second marriage to Louis Kinzinger. Another notation on the funeral home's handwritten records lists the same address for "Mrs. Kinzinger" and a telephone number with the notation " Mrs. Wallner" and underneath is again noted "Mrs. Kinzinger", with both names enclosed in the same circle. This "Mrs. Kinzinger" is probably Wilhelmina (Kraft) Wallner's mother, Caroline (Preuss) Kraft Kinzinger, and could also be the same person to whom the "Miss" Kinzinger refers.
Clarence Howell's obituary appeared on the Brooklyn Times:
Howell, Clarence on March 25 in his 54th year. Beloved husband of Caroline, father of Miriam and Norman, and brother of Harry Howell. Member of Ladmor Lodge #923 F & A M.
Services at Weigard Bros. Funeral Parlors, 89 Foxall Street, Ridgewood, on Friday 8 p.m. Funeral Saturday (illegible) p.m. Interment Mt. Olivet Cemetery.
Clarence C. Howell died at the Psychopathic Hospital, Suffolk Co. Boston MA. from Lobar Pneumonia, and contributory pneumococcic menningitis. The attending physician was Dr. Randall McLean. Francis M. Wilson, Undertaker, 28 College Avenue, West Somerville MA, handled the arrangements in Boston.
Included in the Weigard Bros. paperwork is the following handwritten list, which is assumed to be the seating arrangements for the cars in the funeral procession:
1. Mrs. Howell (Caroline Kinzinger Howell)
Miriam Howell (Clarence and Caroline Kinzinger Howell's daughter)
Norman Howell (Clarence and Caroline Kinzinger Howell's son)
Harry Howell (Clarence's brother)
Albert Kinzinger (Caroline Kinzinger Howell's brother)
Mrs. Kinzinger (Caroline Preuss Kraft Kinzinger)
2. Mr. Wallner (Josef Louis Wallner)
Mrs. Wallner (Wilhelmina Kraft Brandenstein Wallner)
Albert Wallner (Son of Josef L. Wallner and his first wife, Elfrieda Huch Wallner)
Irma Wallner (Daughter of Josef L. Wallner and Wilhelmina Kraft Brandenstein Wallner)
3. William Kinzinger
Mrs. W. Kinzinger
4. Mr. Johannas
Mr. Preus (?Albert Preus, Caroline Preuss Kraft Kinzinger's brother, or Albert's son John)
5. Mr. Shemitat
6. Mr. Haas
Mr. Koenig - name crossed off the list
Mr. Louis Kornrumpf
Mrs. Louis Kornrumpf
7. Mrs. Barends (Augusta Kraft Barends)
Mr. Norman - name crossed off the list
Mrs. Dollack - name crossed off the list (Johanna Wallner Dollack)
Clarence C. Howell was interred in Mt. Olivet Cemetery, 6540 Grand Avenue, Maspeth NY, Grave 1, Lot 5337, Section I on 29 March 1930,
Children of Caroline Kinzinger and Clarence Howell are:
+ 49 i. Miriam4 Howell.
50 ii. Norman Howell.
Generation No. 4
47. Mildred4 Racquet (Maria3 Kraft, Carolina W.2 Preuss, Matthias1) was born 02 October 1900, and died 07 July 1984. She married Frank Nichols 22 September 1925.
Children of Mildred Racquet and Frank Nichols are:
+ 51 i. Frank Jr.5 Nichols, born 19 August 1926; died 14 October 1999.
+ 52 ii. Carol Nichols, born 21 May 1933.
48. Irma Elizabeth4 Wallner (Wilhelmina Augusta3 Kraft, Carolina2 Preuss, Matthias1) was born 06 January 191314, and died February 197714. She married Clifton Charles Dauphin 23 November 1935 in Covenant Lutheran Church, Ridgewood (Queens Co.) NY, son of Charles Dauphin and Marie Young. He was born 28 December 1906 in Brooklyn (Kings Co.) NY15, and died 26 November 1982 in McAllen, TX15.
(SEE IRMA ELIZABETH WALLNER IN THE DESCENDANTS OF WILLIAM KRAFT FOR MORE INFORMATION)
Child of Irma Wallner and Clifton Dauphin is:
+ 53 i. PRIVATE.
49. Miriam4 Howell (Caroline C.3 Kinzinger, Carolina W.2 Preuss, Matthias1) She married Harry Emil Jung, son of Frederick Jung and Maria Ross. He was born 24 September 1906 in Brooklyn, Kings Co., NY16, and died 08 August 1989 in Glendale, Queens Co., NY16.
Harry E. Jung married Miriam Howell, daughter of Clarence C. Howell and Caroline C. Kinzinger.
From a letter dated March 19, 2000 from their daughter:
"My father was a timekeeper for Merreill Brothers in Maspeth, Queens, however, for most of his life he was a Manager for George Cooper Manufacturing Company, which made baby carriages, baby furniture and doll carriages. He started working for George Cooper's when he was 14 and was there for I believe 43 years. Later in life he was a timekeeper, but not for too long in the scheme of things. True, he had no war service. Most of his leisure time was spent reading, listening to opera and Frank Sinatra and going to church. He was very active in the church for pretty much all of his life. He was a deacon and a financial secretary and belonged to various other organizations in the church, including the choir. He wasn't a real "social bug" but we did visit Aunt Irma and Uncle Cliff and they also came to visit us in Glendale. My father loved to walk. When he finally retired he used to take the dog, Suzie, for long walks to the park and collect golf balls. After a while Suzie caught on and wouldn't get up and go with him anymore. It was too much for her!"
At the time of his death at age 82 years, his residence was 79-40 77 Road, Glendale, (Queens Co) NY. The record of George Werst Funeral Home indicates that at the time of his death he was a Timekeeper in the Steel Industry. This record also indicates he had no war service and had 8 years of education, and that his ethnic heritage was german. The entry for Clergy/Church on this record is Rev. Charles Gustafson, and no church is listed.
Harry E. Jung's service was Thursday 8:30 pm 10 August 1989 at Geoge Werst Funeral Home, his funeral was Friday 10:00 am "at church" (no church listed) on 11 August 1989. He was interred at Mt Olivet Cemetery, 6540 Grand Avenue, Maspeth NY on 11 August 1989, Lot 5337, Sec I, Grave 2. (The owner of this plot is recorded as Caroline Howell, his mother in law.)
Children of Miriam Howell and Harry Jung are: PRIVATE