Generation No. 1
of Massachusetts?4,5, and died Aft. 1810 of Sparta,
Livingston Co., New York?6,7,8. Family fan chart says
"_____Walker m. ? from Mass in Rev. War? Sent from England to fight
colonists?" Speculation that his name was John (according to Centennial History
of Nunda), but I have not been able to find any proof of this. No John's with
military service records that fit the description thus far. Any help appreciated.
Methodist circuit riding minister12,13,14 Very possible this family
was in Renesselaer Co., NY and Cayuga Co., NY prior to Livingston Co.
Possible ancestry of Ephraim Walker
Child of WALKER is:
2. i. EPHRAIM2 WALKER, b. Bet. 1794 - 1800, New York, of Cayuga Co., New York; d. September 09, 1877, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York.
Generation No. 2
2. EPHRAIM2 WALKER (JOHN1)18,19,20,21 was born Bet. 1794 - 11798 in New York, of Cayuga Co., New York22,23, and died September 09, 1877 in Nunda, Livingston Co., New York24,25. He married (1) MARY LAKE26,27,28,29,30,31,32 Bet. 1814 - 1820 (he married at age 20), daughter of HENRY LAKE and SALLY MCNEAL. She was born Abt. 1794 in Hoosick, Rensselaer Co., New York36,37,38,39, and died Bef. 1830 in Sparta, Livingston Co., New York40,41,42,43. He married (2) MARY/MARIETTA A. WOODWARD44,45,46 October 28, 1834 in West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York - Calvin Booth, Methodist minister47,48. She was born Abt. 1815 in New York49,50, and died Aft. 1878 in of Nunda, New York51,52. Burial: Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York. Military service: War of 1812 served 1 year - Fort Niagra - grant for service 160 acres on Gully Rd., Nunda, N.Y. Could not sign name. This was Mary Woodward's first marriage. Does anyone know her ancestry? Please help fill in the blanks here!!!!
Children of EPHRAIM WALKER and MARY LAKE are:
3. i. HENRY3 L. WALKER, b. 1820; d. of Livingston Co., New York.
ii. SARAH WALKER68,69,70, b. 1821; m. WILLIAM SPINNINGS71,72,73. In the late 1800"s a Leonard Spinning and a Walker family lived in Dansville, New York. He was a farmer and had a haberdasher store. Did she marry second Rufus Robinson born in 1817? son of William Robinson and Marion Caswell. A Sarah Walker b. 1821 was his wife and they had 7 children; William m. Hannah McMillan, George m. Esther Moore, Franklin died age 17, Edward m. Sarah Beecher, Emma m. William L. Brown, Herbert m. Alice Armstrong, and Frank E. Robinson m. Hattie Herrington. Frank was in the undertaking and furniture business in 1908, living Nunda with widowed mother living with him - had son and daughter (son's name Ralph?)
4. iii. JANE E. WALKER74,75,76.
5. v. MARY WALKER.
6. iv. LUCINA WALKER80,81,82, b. August 26, 1830, Livingston Co., New York; d. 1896
7. vi. MARGARET WALKER, b. Abt. 1833.
Children of EPHRAIM WALKER and MARY/MARIETTA WOODWARD
8. vii. ELIZA MINERVA WALKER, b. 1838; d. 1904.
9. viii. WILLIAM EDWIN WALKER, b. abt 1840; d. May 02, 1924, Big Bend, Livingston Co., New York (now within Letchworth State Park).
ix. AUGUSTA MELISSA WALKER96,97,98, b. October 08, 184099,100,101; m. JOHN KINNEY102,103,104, April 26, 1868105,106,107.
x. EPHRAIM WALKER108,109, b. Abt. 1842110,111.
10. xi. SOPHIA WALKER, b. 1845; d. July 06, 1929, Rochester, Munroe Co., New York.
11. xii. JOHN CAMERON WALKER, b. April 03, 1847; d. August 06, 1926.
xiii. PERMELIA WALKER112,113, b. July 1849, New York114,115.
12. xiv. EUGENE3 WALKER, b. 1854.
xv. WELLINGTON WALKER86,87,88, b. 1857, New York; m. LAURA B. CHITTENDON89,90,91,92, December 21, 187993,94,95.
Generation No. 3
3. HENRY3 L. WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)116,117,118 died of Livingston Co., New York119,120,121. He married SUSAN PERRY122,123,124. 10 children - seven grew to maturity125,126,127.
Children of HENRY WALKER and SUSAN PERRY are:
i. DR. JAMES4 E. WALKER128,129,130. Specialist at Hornell Sanitarium, Hornell, NY131,132,133.
ii. WILLIAM WALKER134,135,136, b. Abt. 1857137,138,139; d. March 07, 1882, age 25140,141,142.
iii. MELVINA WALKER143,144,145, m. BEN WAMPOLE146,147,148. BEN WAMPOLE: Town offices: town clerk149,150,151. They were the parents of Ina Mae Wampole (b. March 1894, d. June 22, 1948) who married Sidney Howe Sr. Ina and Sidney had several children, including James Walker Howe, b. 1919, who was named for his uncle and Sidney Howe Jr.
4. JANE E.3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)
She married WILLIAM VANDORN February 11, 1841,
son of JOHN VANDORN and ALCHSY VOORHEES. He was born May 01, 1817
in Skaneateles, Onondaga County, New York.
William VAN DOREN whose grandfather came from Holland at an early day and located in New Jersey, is one of the self-made men of this county. His father, John VAN DOREN, was born in New Jersey September 3, 1780, and married Alchsy VOORHEES, from which union eleven children were born, as follows:-Cornelius, Elizabeth V ., Maria, Sarah Jane (deceased), C. V., Ellen Ann, William, Catharine, Sarah J., John V., and Henry W.
John VAN DOREN died March 21, 1856, and his wife September 23, 1868. They were buried in the Kysorville cemetery.
William VAN DOREN was born in the town of Skaneateles, Onondaga County, May I, 1817 and in 1831 moved with his father's family to West Sparta, where he worked for him till twenty-two years of age, and then for Deacon Ammerman of Mt. Morris for twelve dollars per month. After working for him two years he married Jane E., daughter of Ephraim WALKER, of Mt. Morris, February 11, 1841. He then took land to work on shares until 1850 when he bought twenty-five acres, running in debt for it, the total amount of his possessions at that time being five hundred dollars. The venture proved a profitable one, and after working a little over three years, he purchased fifty acres more and moved there with his family. Within the next two years he bought twenty-seven acres of woodland which proved to be the most profitable of his investments. He then bought the Hungerford farm of seventy-six acres and moved there, where he lived six years, and then sold one hundred and two acres and purchased the farm, on which he now resides, containing one hundred acres. He is now the possessor of two hundred and seventy-six acres of land in the town of West Sparta. The pleasant home where he now resides, is situated about six miles from Dansville. He has two daughters, both of whom are married and settled within three miles of their old home, Mary J., having married Wm. A. GREEN and Jennie M., having married Edwin G. STONER, both of West Sparta.
In politics Mr. VANDOREN is a Democrat, has held the office of Assessor six years, and in 1880 was elected Supervisor by a large majority. He possesses, in a marked degree, those qualities which characterize the useful citizen, the good neighbor, the filial son and the kind and indulgent parent.
The life of Mr. VANDOREN, although containing no thrilling episodes, may well be regarded with attention by the young; commencing life but a poor boy, with his unaided arm he has conquered a place in the world that stands as an example to all.
Mr. and Mrs. VANDOREN are now in the autumn of life, enjoying the comforts of a happy home and fireside, and are members of the Methodist church, esteemed and beloved by family and friends.
The paternal grandfather of Mrs. VANDOREN came from Holland; fought in the Revolution and was taken to Halifax a prisoner of war by the British. Her father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was drawing a pension up to the time of his death. She was the second child in a family of nine by his first wife, whose maiden name was Mary LAKE, born in the town of Hoosick, Rensselear County, a woman of eminent piety, and half-sister to ten children by his second wife. (Pages 241 - 242 HISTORY OF LIVINGSTON COUNTY, New York, with Illustrations and Biographical Sketches - Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers. By James J. Smith - Published by D. Mason & Co., Syracuse - 1687 - 1881)
William VanDorn thrasher and farmer lived Dansville received mail West Sparta 1868 business directory Livingston Co
Children of JANE WALKER and WILLIAM VANDORN are:
i. MARY J.4 VANDORN, b. of West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; m. WILLIAM A. GREEN. William A. Green thrasher and farmer lived West Sparta received mail Union Corners 100 acres 1868 business directory Livingston Co.
ii. JENNIE M. VANDORN, b. of West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; m. EDWIN G. STONER.
5. MARY3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) She married DARWIN CHITTENDEN155,156,157.
Children of MARY WALKER and DARWIN CHITTENDEN are:
i. OSCAR4 CHITTENDEN158,159,160.
ii. LILLY CHITTENDEN161,162,163.
iii. EMMA CHITTENDEN164,165,166.
6. LUCINA3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was
born August 26, 1830 in Livingston Co., New York, and died 1896. She
married JOHN C. THOMPSON August 10, 1848 in Mt. Morris, Livingston Co., New
York, son of ABRAHAM THOMPSON and CATHERINE VOORHEES. He was born July
12, 1825 in West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York, and died 1893 in West Sparta,
Livingston Co., New York.
Found on 1880 Census West Sparta, Livingston, NY. Page 12, Line 3 with husband. Her first name is listed as Losina there & her father is listed as born in New Jersey & mother in New York. 1855 NY State census states she was born in Livingston Co. but had only lived in West Sparta 7 yrs
JOHN C. THOMPSON: Livingston Co. marriage records. Wife listed as residing at Nunda, NY before marriage. Served as a Captain in the Civil War on The Union Side. He served in 104th Regiment, Company K out of Geneseo, NY. His company was at Gettysburg. 1855 NY State Census states he & entire family where born Livingston Co. & he had lived in West Sparta his entire life on farm #195. Only 2 children are listed for him & his wife Abram & John H. 1865 NY
State Census pg 10 West Sparta, line 11, family 57. John C. is in 130th NY reg. He entered 20 aug 1862 for 3 yrs as a Private. In Jun 1865 he had 2 months & 20 days left in his enlistment & was serving as Sergeant in 1st Dragoons. He was in good health, without wounds. He & wife where listed as having 3 children. Daughter Eva listed. NY York State Census 1875 pg 8 West Sparta line 31 family 78. Only 2 children Abram & John listed. John Sr. is listed as owning 1 acre, having a worth of $600. The land had 4 pear trees. Listed 1868 directory living West Sparta, thresher & farmer.
Children of LUCINA WALKER and JOHN THOMPSON are:
13. i. ABRAHAM WILLIAM4 THOMPSON, b. June 30, 1849, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. February 28, 1925, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York.
14. ii. JOHN HENRY THOMPSON, b. April 21, 1851, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. January 01, 1929.
iii. EVA K. THOMPSON, b. January 1863, Livingston Co., New York; d. 1870, New York.
iv. SCHUYLER THOMPSON.
7. MARGARET3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)167,168,169 was born Abt. 1833170,171. She married JOHN STONER172,173,174.
Child of MARGARET WALKER and JOHN STONER is:
i. STONER4175,176,177, of Indiana178,179,180. Occupation: Sheriff181,182,183
8. ELIZA MINERVA3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)196,197,198 was born 1838199,200,201, and died 1904202,203,204. She married ELIJAH LEVIE205,206,207.
Children of ELIZA WALKER and ELIJAH LEVIE are:
i. CATHERINE4 LEVIE208,209,210, m. FRANK KERNEHAN211,212,213.
ii. BERT LEVIE214,215,216, m. ELLA CROSS217,218,219.
9. WILLIAM EDWIN3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)220,221,222,223 was born abt 1840224,225,226,
and died May 02, 1924 in Big Bend, Livingston Co., New York (now within Letchworth
State Park)227,228,229. He married ZUBIA STRICKLAND230,231,232
in Salt City,233,234. She was born October 13, 1838235,236,237,
and died December 09, 1889238,239,240. Anyone
know her ancestry? Where is Salt City? Is it Salt Lake City, Syracuse, NY
or another Salt City? Believe there may have been a Salt City in eastern NY.
Anyone have a clue?
Burial with wife: West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York. Military service: Civil War - Union Army - Calvary243,244,245
1891 Addison Directory (Addison, Steuben Co., New York)
(Postoffice address is Addison, unless otherwise designated in parenthesis.)
Edward D. Strickland --- emp. livery
Edwin W. Walker --- telegraph operator boards at 64 South St. Is this him or son? and who is Leonard Walker?
Leonard C. Walker --- student boards at 72 Tuscarora St.
Steuben County items mentioned in the Allegany County Reporter Wellsville, Allegany Co., NY
Mr. H. A. Briggs of this city (Wellsville-JAC) and Miss Ziba Walker of Addison were married at the home of the bride's parents in Addison on
Wednesday Jan. 22. Mr. Briggs has been employed at Conter's harness shop for sometime and boarded at Chas. Merker's. When Mr. Briggs returned with his bride Monday evening, the city band, of which he is a member, promptly tendered him a serenade. The evening passed pleasantly, Mr. Lane furnished the company with vocal selections, and all wished the happy couple a prosperous journey through life. Mr. and Mrs. Briggs will reside in Wellsville. Who is this?
Children of WILLIAM WALKER and ZUBIA STRICKLAND are:
i. WILLIAM4 WALKER249,250, no children; m. EMMA DENNISON251,252. Burial with wife: Oaklawn Cemetary, West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York
15. ii. FRANK A. WALKER, b. June 15, 1869; d. October 15, 1954, Ossian, New York(?).
16. iii. EDWIN WALKER, b. September 29, 1863; d. July 24, 1945.
17. iv. MELISSA WALKER.
v. MARY WALKER259,260, died young.
10. SOPHIA3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)263,264,265 was born 1845266,267,268,269, and died July 06, 1929 in Rochester, Munroe Co., New York270,271,272,273. She married CHARLES H. ROCKAFELLOW274,275,276,277. He was born 1837278,279, and died 1930 in Nunda, Livingston Co., New York?280,281. Burial with husband: Oakwood Cemetery, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York282,283,284
Children of SOPHIA WALKER and CHARLES ROCKAFELLOW are:
i. ADELAIDE4 ROCKAFELLOW285,286,287, m. RICHARD BRISTOL288,289,290.
18. ii. JOHN EMORY ROCKAFELLOW.
19. iii. MINNIE ROCKAFELLOW.
11. JOHN CAMERON3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)291,292,293,294 was born April 03, 1847295,296,297, and died August 06, 1926298,299,300. He married EMMA SPOHN301,302,303,304. She was born 1852305,306, and died 1902307,308. Burial with wife: Dalton, Livingston Co., New York. Lived Nunda, New York all his life. Military service: 1864, Civil War Co. 2 1st NY Dragoons - Union Army - injured during war. Occupation: farmer.
Children of JOHN WALKER and EMMA SPOHN are:
i. ADA L.4 WALKER324,325, b. 1871326,327; d. 1881. Burial: Dalton, Livingston Co., New York
20. ii. LA VERGNE A. WALKER, b. May 13, 1873, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York; d. March 18, 1953.
iii. LEON WALKER332,333,334,335, b. March 15, 1888; d. August 28, 1940339,340,341; m. FANNIE MITCHELL342,343,344. Burial: West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York. 1908, only graduate Dalton HS. Town offices: town clerk.
12. EUGENE3 WALKER (EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) He married JENNIE KENDALL187,188,189.
Child of EUGENE WALKER and JENNIE KENDALL is:
i. FANNY4 WALKER190,191,192, m. CONKLIN193,194,195.
Generation No. 4
13. ABRAHAM WILLIAM4 THOMPSON (LUCINA3
WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was born June 30, 1849 in West Sparta, Livingston
Co., New York, and died February 28, 1925 in West Sparta, Livingston Co.,
New York. He married NELLIE FRANCIS HILL Abt. 1879, daughter of PERRY
HILLS and LUCITTA COON. She was born July 11, 1857 in Piffard, New
York, and died November 08, 1940 in West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York.
Found on 1880 census with out his wife. He is living with his parents but
is listed as married. 1900, 1910, 1920 census. 1915, New York State Census.
Death Certificate listed enlarged ?, cystitis. Also lists he was a farmer.
Burial: March 02, 1925, Kysorville Cemetery, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York. NELLIE FRANCIS HILL: Burial: November 11, 1940, Kysorville Cemetery, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York
Children of ABRAHAM THOMPSON and NELLIE HILL are:
21. i. EDITH KATHERINE5 THOMPSON, b. August 23, 1879, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. August 31, 1961, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York.
ii. GEORGE THOMPSON, b. September 25, 1880, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. January 08, Sayre, Pennsylvania; m. HELEN CARLTON, February 03, 1906, Perry, Wyoming Co., New York; b. Abt. 1883.
22. iii. ABRAHAM SCHUYLER THOMPSON, b. September 17, 1883, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. June 08, 1932, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York.
iv. ANNA LE THOMPSON, b. August 24, 1887, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. December 30, 1966, Las Vegas, Nevada; m. WILLIAM CHESTER WALKER, December 25, 1908, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; b. Abt. 1881. Who does he descend from? 5 Children
v. FRANK M. THOMPSON, b. July 30, 1890, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. January 15, 1982, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; m. CHARLOTTE BREWER, Abt. 1914; b. Abt. 1893. 5 Children
vi. CHARLES W. THOMPSON, b. September 18, 1891, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. February 05, 1969, V.A. Hospital, Bath, Steuben Co., New York; m. HARRIET BOOTH, May 29, 1928; b. Abt. 1894.
vii. GLEN R. THOMPSON, b. April 30, 1894, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. August 1971, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; m. VIVIAN MUCHLER, November 25, 1920; b. April 06, 1902; d. October 26, 1888, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York.
viii. LAVERNE ELLIOTT THOMPSON, b. April 10, 1897, Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. June 1973, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; m. SUSAN SNYDER, April 17, 1917; b. September 18, 1889; d. November 1979, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York.
14. JOHN HENRY4 THOMPSON (LUCINA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was born April 21, 1851 in West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York, and died January 01, 1929. He married ADALINE GRAY Abt. 1877. She was born 1855, and died Bef. 1900.
Children of JOHN THOMPSON and ADALINE GRAY are:
i. LENA5 THOMPSON, b. July 1877, New York.
23. ii. ARCHIBALD THOMPSON, b. December 1879, New York; d. 1963.
iii. RAYMOND THOMPSON, b. October 1882, New York.
iv. MAY G. THOMPSON, b. April 1888, New York.
15. FRANK A.4 WALKER (WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)354,355,356 was born June 15, 1869357,358,359,360, and died October 15, 1954 in Ossian, New York(?)361,362,363,364. He married ELIZABETH KERNAHAN365,366,367. Burial: West View Cemetery, Ossian, Livingston Co., New York.
Children of FRANK WALKER and ELIZABETH KERNAHAN are:
24. i. CAROLL G.5 WALKER, b. December 29, 1894; d. July 26, 1966.
25. ii. MARGUERITE WALKER.
iii. MILDRED WALKER372,373,374, m. (1) SAM LITTLE375,376; m. (2) CLAIR BRYANT377,378,379.
iv. CLAIRE WALKER380,381.
16. EDWIN4 WALKER (WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2,
JOHN1)382,383,384 was born September
29, 1863385,386,387,388, and died July 24, 1945389,390,391,392.
He married GRACE SMITH393,394,395,
daughter of JOHN SMITH and MATILDE GOHO.
She was born June 30, 1875 in Ossian, Livingston Co., New York396,397,
and died Bet. January 1963 - 1965 month or two before 90th birthday - Castile,
Wyoming Co., New York (living with Algia)398,399,400.
Burial with wife: Oaklawn Cemetary, West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York.
Medical Information: partially handicapped by fall from a threshing machine - fell earlier in life - walked hunched over, but very active.
Occupation: thresher. Residence: for a time lived in Barber place at Mt. Morris.
Children of EDWIN WALKER and GRACE SMITH are:
26. i. CHESTER5 WALKER.
ii. EARL WALKER418,419, m. NILA420,421, a Native American?422,423
27. iii. EDITH WALKER, b. January 15, 1911; d. May 7, 1991.
28. iv. HAZEL WALKER.
29. v. WAYNE EDWIN WALKER, b. October 11, 1895, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York; d. October 08, 1991, of Savannah, New York.
30. vi. LOREN D. WALKER, b. Bet. 1897 - 1898; d. June 01, 1975.
31. vii. ALGIA LEO WALKER, b. January 12, 1904, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York; d. April 18, 2002, Warsaw, New York.
viii. ANNA WALKER, m. WALLACE.
17. MELISSA4 WALKER (WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) She married WILL CARNEY426,427.
Children of MELISSA WALKER and WILL CARNEY are:
i. FRANK5 CARNEY428,429.
ii. BLAKE CARNEY430,431.
iii. BLAINE CARNEY432,433.
iv. CECIL CARNEY434,435.
v. HOWARD CARNEY436,437.
18. JOHN EMORY4 ROCKAFELLOW (SOPHIA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) He married LUCY DENNIS441,442,443. She was born in of Nebraska444,445,446.
Child of JOHN ROCKAFELLOW and LUCY DENNIS is:
i. VADA5 ROCKAFELLOW447,448,449.
19. MINNIE4 ROCKAFELLOW (SOPHIA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) She married ALLISON PAINE453,454,455.
Children of MINNIE ROCKAFELLOW and ALLISON PAINE are:
i. ADELAIDE5 PAINE456,457,458.
ii. JOHN NELSON PAINE459,460,461.
20. LA VERGNE A.4 WALKER (JOHN CAMERON3,
EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)462,463,464,465 was
born May 13, 1873 in Nunda, Livingston Co., New York466,467,468,
and died March 18, 1953469,470,471,472. He married GRACE
HUNT473,474,475 January 15, 1896 in Dalton, Livingston Co.,
New York476,477,478, daughter of WILLIAM HUNT and ELLA TUTHILL.
She was born 1876 of Dalton, Livingston Co., New York479,480,481,482,
and died 1943483,484,485. La Vergne A. Walker, one of the
foremost members of the legal profession in the Genesee country, has been
practicing his profession in Perry, Wyoming county, since the beginning of
this century, coming here from Nunda, his birthplace and boyhood home. The
son of John C. and Emma (Spohn) Walker, he was born May 13, 1873. His father
served in the Union army during the Civil war and received injuries while
in the service, but he was able to take up the occupation of a farmer after
his return to civilian life and has been engaged in that line of work most
of the time ever since. He still makes his home in Nunda. The Walker family
was established in this section of the country about 1810 by Mr. Walker's
grandfather, a Methodist circuit-rider, who settled here with his family.
La Vergne A. Walker was educated in the public and high schools of Nunda, after which he took up the study of law in the office of George D. Daggett, where he remained until he was admitted to the bar of New York state in 1895. As soon as he was admitted to the bar Mr. Walker started to practice for himself in Nunda and gained the first years of his experience as a full-fledged lawyer in his own home city. In 1900 he came to Perry, where he has been ever since. At first he was associated with Mr. Olmsted and later with Charles W. Johnston; then he practiced alone until 1921, when he formed a partnership with John C. Ryan, under the firm name of Walker & Ryan, which continued until January, 1924, since which time Mr. Walker has been alone. He is generally conceded to be one of the most capable attorneys in this part of the state. He is counsel for the First National Bank of Perry and attorney for the Buffalo, Rochester & Pittsburgh Railroad. In recent years he has specialized in trial practice and criminal cases, in which branch of his profession he has won new laurels. Both in assembling his evidence and in presenting his case in court, Mr. Walker has displayed thoroughgoing ability for organization and unusual brilliance of mind. His remarkable powers as a criminal lawyer made Mr. Walker an excellent district attorney, an office which he held from 1915 to 1921, relinquishing this post only to accept an appointment as deputy attorney general, under Hon. Charles D. Newton. In the latter capacity he was assigned to duty in New York city and remained there until April, 1923, when he resigned his office as deputy to return to Perry and resume his private practice.
Mr. Walker was married on January 15, 1896, in Dalton, New York, to Miss Grace Hunt, daughter of William W. and Ella (Tuthill) Hunt of that place.- Mr. Hunt was a merchant and a member of the firm of Hunt & Moses of Dalton. Mr. Walker has one son: Ralph H. Walker, born October 29, 1896, who is a graduate of Western Reserve University of Cleveland, Ohio, and is now a chemist in Rochester.
In connection with his professional activities Mr. L. A. Walker is affiliated With the New York State Bar Association and is president of the Wyoming County Association. He has long been intimately connected with the work of the republican party in this county, has been committeeman from this district many times, and is a member of the National Republican Club of New York city. In Perry he lends his support to those things that make for community betterment, while in religious circles he is known as a member of the Universalist church. Mr. Walker is also an Elk and a Mason, in the latter order having attained the thirty-second degree and he is a Noble of Damascus Temple, of the Mystic Shrine, While this busy lawyer has always been interested in all the popular outdoor sports, it is for golf that he has the most enthusiasm. During the season he spends many enjoyable hours playing at the Silver Lake Country Club of Perry. His other social affiliations in this city are with the Perry Club. (History of the Genesee Country Volume IV 1925 The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co. Chicago)
Burial with wife: Oakwood cemetery, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York
Child of LA WALKER and GRACE HUNT is:
32. i. RALPH H.5 WALKER, b. October 29, 1896; d. 1948.
Generation No. 5
21. EDITH KATHERINE5 THOMPSON (ABRAHAM WILLIAM4, LUCINA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was born August 23, 1879 in Sparta, Livingston Co., New York, and died August 31, 1961 in Dansville, Livingston Co., New York. She married HUGH T. MCMASTER 1900. He was born February 08, 1881, and died March 1972 in Dansville, Livingston Co., New York. 10 children
Children of EDITH THOMPSON and HUGH MCMASTER are:
i. HAROLD6 MCMASTER, b. December 19, 1901; d. November 1978, Livingston Co., New York.
ii. EBENEZER MCMASTER, b. May 18, 1909; d. January 1985, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York.
22. ABRAHAM SCHUYLER5 THOMPSON (ABRAHAM WILLIAM4, LUCINA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was born September 17, 1883 in Sparta, Livingston Co., New York, and died June 08, 1932 in Dansville, Livingston Co., New York. He married BESSIE ANN STEVENS October 30, 1908 in West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York, daughter of FRANK STEVENS and NELLIE HULLETT. She was born July 10, 1891 in Leicester, Livingston Co., New York, and died October 12, 1968 in Dansville, Livingston Co., New York. New York State Census 1915, 1925. 1900, 1910, 1920 census. In 1917 Abraham registered for WWI Draft. He was listed as a Farm Laborer of Medium Height, and Medium build, with Blue eyes and dark hair. Death certificate lists he was a farmer. He died of Lobar Pneumonia. Burial: June 11, 1932, Kysorsville Cemetery, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York. BESSIE ANN STEVENS: Burial: October 15, 1968, Creekmont Cemetery, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York
Children of ABRAHAM THOMPSON and BESSIE STEVENS are:
33. i. HOWARD ABRAHAM6 THOMPSON, b. January 12, 1909, Mt. Morris, Livingston Co., New York; d. January 27, 1966, San Jose, San Mateo, California.
ii. CARL ERWIN THOMPSON, b. October 30, 1911, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. June 30, 1913.
iii. HENRY STEVENS THOMPSON, b. February 23, 1913, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. March 30, 1982, Fairport, Monroe Co., New York; m. PATTERSON.
iv. HARRIET STEVENS THOMPSON, b. February 23, 1913, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. February 23, 1913, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York.
v. ETHEL LURHETTA THOMPSON, b. May 18, 1915, Groveland, Livingston Co., New York; d. March 29, 2001, Auburn, Cayuga Co., New York; m. FORREST TIDD, February 21, 1952; b. July 09, 1902; d. May 07, 1982, Rochester, Monroe Co., New York.
vi. FREDERICK WILLARD THOMPSON, b. August 05, 1917, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. November 10, 1994, California; m. VASSLER.
vii. CLIFFORD FRANK THOMPSON, b. August 19, 1919, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. August 18, 1944.
viii. THOMPSON, m. VAHUE.
ix. CHRISTINA RUTH THOMPSON, b. Bet. December 03, 1925 - 1928, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. March 16, 1997, Orlando, Orange Co., Florida; m. VIVIAN RUSSELL HUGGINS, August 06, 1944, Corpus Christi, Nueces Co., Texas; b. April 03, 1923, Cumberland, Allegany Co., Maryland; d. July 1986.
x. MARGARET ELEUSE THOMPSON, b. October 31, 1929, West Sparta, Livingston Co., New York; d. September 12, 1979, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; m. RODGERS.
23. ARCHIBALD5 THOMPSON (JOHN HENRY4, LUCINA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was born December 1879 in New York, and died 1963. He married EVA WILLIAMS, daughter of CHARLES WILLIAMS and ALICE JONES. She was born 1881, and died 1971.
Child of ARCHIBALD THOMPSON and EVA WILLIAMS is:
i. IVAN LEE6 THOMPSON, b. 1908; d. 1988; m. BEATRICE DOWNS.
24. CAROLL G.5 WALKER (FRANK A.4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)503,504,505 was born December 29, 1894506,507,508, and died July 26, 1966509,510,511. He married MARGARET512,513,514. Burial with wife: Oaklawn, West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York.
Children of CAROLL WALKER and MARGARET are:
i. GERRY6 WALKER520,521,522, m. RICHARD FRIEDMAN523,524,525.
ii. PEGGY WALKER526,527.
25. MARGUERITE5 WALKER (FRANK A.4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) She married (1) ELIOT STEEN531,532. She married (2) GEORGE VAN ORSDALE533,534,535 May 05, 1920536,537,538.
Child of MARGUERITE WALKER and GEORGE VAN ORSDALE is:
i. VAN6 ORSDALE539,540,541, m. KENNETH WILLETT542,543,544.
26. CHESTER5 WALKER (EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) He married MAE HOLLAND547,548.
Children of CHESTER WALKER and MAE HOLLAND are:
i. HOWARD6 WALKER549,550, d. 2000.
ii. KENNETH WALKER551,552.
27. EDITH5 WALKER (EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3,
EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)553,554 was born January 15, 1911555,556, and died May
7, 1991557,558. She married GEORGE MCHERRON559,560.
He was born 1899561,562, and died 1980563,564.
Burial: Oaklawn Cemetary, West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York565,566
Burial: Oaklawn Cemetary, West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York567,568.
Born January 15, 1911
Died May 7, 1991
Edith M. McHerron, 80, of Dalton died Tuesday (May 7, 1991) in Noyes Memorial Hospital.
Born Jan. 15, 1911, a daughter of Edwin and Grace Walker, she was a lifelong resident of the Nunda area. She was predeceased by her husband, George in 1980.
Surviving are two daughters, Kathleen Derrick of Cocoa, Fla., and Ruth Fowble of Tampa, Fla.; two foster sons, John Hanson of Nunda and Robert Haven of Oregon; a sister, Hazel Cleveland of Garden City, Kan.; two brothers, Wayne Walker of Savannah and Algia Walker of Castile; 10 grandchildren and eight great-grandchildren.
A memorial service was conducted Friday afternoon in the Mann Funeral Home of Nunda. Memorial contributions may be made to the Nunda Ambulance. (GCE, May 16, 1991, p4)
Children of EDITH WALKER and GEORGE MCHERRON are:
i. KATHLEEN6 MCHERRON569,570, Adopted child. She m. DERRICK and was living in Cocoa, Florida in 1991.
ii. DAVID MCHERRON571,572, Adopted child. Died before 1991.
iii. RUTH MCHERRON, m. FOWBLE and was living in Tampa, Florida in 1991.
28. HAZEL5 WALKER (EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)573,574 died Aft. 1997575,576. She married (1) VOYLE CLEVELAND577,578. She married (2) J. MARTIN. She was living in Garden City, Kansas in 1991.
Children of HAZEL WALKER and VOYLE CLEVELAND are:
i. RUBY6 CLEVELAND579,580.
ii. MELVIN CLEVELAND581,582.
Child of HAZEL WALKER and J. MARTIN is:
iii. JAMES6 MARTIN.
29. WAYNE EDWIN5 WALKER (EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)583,584,585 was born October 11, 1895 in Nunda, New York586,587,588, and died October 08, 1991 of Savannah, New York589,590,591. He married (1) GENEVIEVE BARTHOLOMEW592,593,594, daughter of EGBERT BARTHOLOMEW and CORA WARREN. She was born Bet. 1894 - 1895 of Mt. Morris, New York595,596,597,598,599, and died October 01, 1937 in Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, Munroe Co., New York - age 42 yr 6 m 1 d600,601,602,603. He married (2) INEZ BENSON604,605,606 September 06, 1942607,608. She was born April 14, 1891 near Fredericksburg, Virginia609,610,611, and died November 07, 1982 in Savannah, New York612,613,614. Burial: October 11, 1991, Crusoe Cemetary, Tyre, New York. Medical Information: 6/1915; lost eye in dynamiting accident, trying to blow out tree stump. Occupation: carpenter, farmer. GENEVIEVE BARTHOLOMEW: Burial: Oakwood Cemetary. INEZ BENSON: Burial: November 10, 1982, Crusoe Cemetary, Tyre, New York.
Children of WAYNE WALKER and GENEVIEVE BARTHOLOMEW
34. i. ETHEL6 WALKER, b. Abt. 1917, of Dalton, New York; d. 2000, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York.
35. ii. RALPH EDWIN WALKER, Currently living North Syracuse, Onondaga Co., New York.
36. iii. LAURENCE WARREN WALKER, b. September 17, 1923, Mt. Morris, Livingston Co., New York; d. December 30, 1990, of Marion, Ohio.
iv. DAVID GORDON WALKER635,636, b. 1926637,638,639; d. Abt. 1934, age 8 years - Mt. Morris, New York640,641,642. Burial: Oakhill Cemetery, Brooks Grove, Livingston Co., New York. Cause of Death: struck by a car while walking with brothers.
37. v. CORABELLE WALKER, Currently living Newark, New York.
Wayne E. Walker 1985
30. LOREN D.5 WALKER (EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)648,649,650 died June 01, 1975654,655,656. He married BLANCHE RATHBURN657,658,659 August 07, 1921660,661,662. Burial: Oaklawn Cemetary, West Sparta Cemetary, Sparta, New York
Children of LOREN WALKER and BLANCHE RATHBURN are:
i. LOREN C.6 WALKER668,669,670.
38. ii. ROBERT JACK WALKER, b. Abt. 1924; died before 1993, of Nunda, Livingston Co., New York.
iii. GERALD K. WALKER674,675,676, d. early 1990's - before 1993677,678,679; m. VIRGINIA DAVIS680,681,682, June 03, 1950, Canandaigua, New York683,684,685.
iv. RICHARD WALKER687,688,689.
v. BEVERLY WALKER690,691,692, m. GLENN BUCHINGER693,694,695, Town offices: town clerk.
31. ALGIA LEO5 WALKER (EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)699,700, b. January 12, 1904, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York; d. April 18, 2002, Warsaw, New York. He married EDITH VIOLA HURLBURT705,706 in Webster, Munroe Co., New York707,708. She was born November 23, 1901709,710, and died October 18, 1994 in Castile, Wyoming Co., New York711,712. Buried: Reservation Cemetery, Castile, Wyoming Co., New York713,714
Children of ALGIA WALKER and EDITH HURLBURT are:
39. i. ESCA CAROL6 WALKER.
ii. NEAL ALGIA WALKER; m. (1) JEAN BRYANT; m. (2) CLARA RITZ. He d. 9/2000, Warsaw, New York and is buried in the Reservation Cemetery, Castile, Wyoming Co., New York.
iii. SYLVIA JOAN WALKER; m. PETER WOGELMUTH.
iv. LYDIA WALKER; m. JAMES LONSBERRY.
32. RALPH H.5 WALKER (LA VERGNE A.4, JOHN CAMERON3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)735,736,737 was born October 29, 1896738,739,740, and died 1948741,742,743. He married CORALYN744,745,746. She died May 25, 1965750,751,752. Graduated Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio. Elk and Mason - noble of Damascus Temple of the Mystic Shrine. Occupation: chemist at Rochester, New York.
Child of RALPH WALKER and CORALYN is:
i. JOAN6 WALKER774,775,776, Adopted child; m. WARD H. SANFORD.
Generation No. 6
33. HOWARD ABRAHAM6 THOMPSON (ABRAHAM
SCHUYLER5, ABRAHAM WILLIAM4, LUCINA3 WALKER, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1) was born January
12, 1909 in Mt. Morris, Livingston Co., New York, and died January 27, 1966
in San Jose, San Mateo, California. He married (1) EVELYN FLORENCE
JOHNSON January 15, 1930 in Groveland, Livingston Co., New York. She
was born February 10, 1912 in Livonia, Livingston Co., New York, and died
June 30, 1953 in Dansville, Livingston Co., New York. He married (2)
LILLIAN JUANITA MOBELEY February 20, 1955 in Modesto, Stanislaus, California,
daughter of JESSE MOBELEY and LURITTA HOPPER. She was born November
05, 1913 in Laverne, Beaver Co., Oklahoma, and died January 02, 2000 in Modesto,
Died from lung disease possible caused by working with asbestos. Burial: January 30, 1966, Livermore, Alameda, California
LILLIAN JUANITA MOBELEY: Burial: January 06, 2000, Livermore, Alameda Co., California
Children of HOWARD THOMPSON and EVELYN JOHNSON are:
i. MARY JANE7 THOMPSON, b. May 31, 1931, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; d. June 10, 1972, Livermore, Alameda Co., California; m. GEORGE ROBERT WILEY, June 10, 1955, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; b. January 29, 1931, Naples, New York; d. June 06, 2000, Livermore, Alameda Co., California.
ii. BETTY JEAN THOMPSON, b. September 04, 1932, Dansville, Livingston Co., New York; d. April 30, 1992, Tracy, California; m. CORSO.
Child of HOWARD THOMPSON and LILLIAN MOBELEY is:
iii. THOMPSON7, m. MUELLER.
34. ETHEL6 WALKER (WAYNE EDWIN5, EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)780,781 was born Abt. 1917 of Dalton, New York782,783,784, and died 2000 in Nunda, Livingston Co., New York784. She married ALBERT COX785,786. Burial: Oakwood Cemetery, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York
Children of ETHEL WALKER and ALBERT COX are:
i. GENE7 COX.
ii. PATRICIA COX
Bert and Ethel 1979
35. RALPH EDWIN6 WALKER (WAYNE EDWIN5, EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)787,788,789 Currently living North Syracuse, Onondaga Co., New York. He married MARION ZIEGLER, daughter of HENRY ZIEGLER and ANNA SCHMIDT.
Children of RALPH WALKER and MARION ZIEGLER are:
i. RALPH BERNARD7 WALKER, of North Syracuse, Onondaga Co., New York.
ii. STEPHANIE LYNN WALKER, of Portland, Oregon.
iii. WAYNE HENRY WALKER, of North Syracuse, Onondaga Co., New York.
iv. GREGORY SCOTT WALKER, of Port Republic, Rockingham Co., Virginia.
36. LAURENCE WARREN6 WALKER (WAYNE EDWIN5, EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)839,840 was born September 17, 1923 in Mt. Morris, Livingston Co., New York841,842,843, and died December 30, 1990 of Marion, Ohio844,845,846. He married ELIZABETH ANN FITZPATRICK847,848 , daughter of LAWRENCE FITZPATRICK and ANNA KELLY.
Children of LAURENCE WALKER and ELIZABETH FITZPATRICK
i. LAWRENCE DAVID7 WALKER, of Columbus, Ohio.
ii. JAMES PATRICK WALKER, d. unmarried
iii. ROBERT RICHARD WALKER, of Ohio.
iv. SUZANNE MARY WALKER, d. of Ohio.
v. ANNE ELIZABETH WALKER 3 generations of Walkers born on same day as she.
37. CORABELLE6 WALKER (WAYNE EDWIN5, EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)881,882 Currently of Newark, New York883,884,885. She married WILBUR DEPAUW886,887.
Children of CORABELLE WALKER and WILBUR DEPAUW are:
i. SHARON ANN7 DEPAUW
ii. LAWRENCE MICHAEL DEPAUW.
iii. DONALD DEPAUW
38. ROBERT JACK6 WALKER (LOREN D.5, EDWIN4,
WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)900,901,902
was born Abt. 1924903,904,905, and died between 1989 and 1993906,907,908.
He married DONA DEVEREAUX909,910, daughter of ORAN DEVEREAUX
and KATHERINE PAUGH. She was born March 10, 1926, Bradford, Pennsylvania;
died May 10, 1989, Nunda, Livingston Co., New York.
Dona D. Walker
Born March 10, 1926
Died May 10, 1989
Dona Devereaux Walker, 63, of the Nunda-Byersville Road in Nunda died Wednesday (May 10, 1989) in her home.
Born Mar. 10, 1926, in Bradford, Pa., a daughter of Oran and Katherine Paugh Devereaux, she was married to Robert (Jack) Walker who survives. A resident of Nunda for 45 years, she was a Livingston County deputy county clerk for 24 years, retiring in 1988. Mrs. Walker was a member of the New York State Civil Service Employees Association and the Livingston County Republican Club.
In addition to her husband, she is survived by two sons, Stephen of Nunda and Kelly of Dalton; three grandchildren.
A funeral service was conducted Saturday afternoon in the Nunda United Methodist Church with the Rev. Paul Cauvel officiating. Burial was at the convenience of the family, with arrangements by the Mann Funeral Home of Nunda.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Nunda Ambulance Corp., or the Leukemia Society. (GCE, May 18, 1989, p4)
Child of ROBERT WALKER and DONA is:
i. STEPHEN R.7 WALKER, m. MARY ANN SOMERS, daughter of CHARLES F. SOMERS and DOROTHY RIESENBERGER. Town offices: Livingston Co. Director, Civil Defense. Living Nunda, New York 1989.
ii. KELLY WALKER, of Dalton, Livingston Co., New York in 1989.
39. ESCA CAROL6 WALKER (ALGIA LEO5, EDWIN4, WILLIAM EDWIN3, EPHRAIM2, JOHN1)931,932 She married RAYMOND WEISS935,936.
Child of ESCA WALKER and RAYMOND WEISS is:
i. WILLIAM7 WEISS, of Castile, Wyoming Co., New York.
A WORK IN PROGRESS!
If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail me at email@example.com