SAMUEL GREENLEAF married BARBARA. Child of SAMUEL GREENLEAF and BARBARA
is: MARGARET2 GREENLEAF, b. Abt. 1595, Norwich, England?; d. 1651, Woburn,
Middlesex Co., Massachusetts. She married SERGEANT JOHN TIDD 1614
in England, son of JOHN TIDD. He was born 1589-1591, Yarmouth, Isle
of Wight, England, from Hertford, England?, and died April 24, 1656 in
Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts. Does Samuel connect with these Greenleaf
families below? This was sent to me by a researcher; "Please see
Steve Randall's posting of 14 February 2001 concerning GREENLEAF. The reference
in "New England Marriages Prior to 1700," by Clarence Almon
Torrey to the last name of John's (1) wife Margaret was put into brackets, meaning there was no proof that it was GREENLEAF."
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 GREENLEAF He married MARGARET3,4,5. It is believed that the ancestors of the Greenleaf family were Huguenots, who left France because of their religious principles, sometime in the course of the sixteenth century, and settled in England. The name was, probably, translated from the French Fuillevert.
Child of JOHN GREENLEAF and MARGARET is:
2. i. CAPTAIN EDMUND2 GREENLEAF, b. Abt. 1573, parish of Brixham (near Torbay), Devon, England - of Newbury, Massachusetts; d. March 24, 1670/71, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts.
Generation No. 2
2. CAPTAIN EDMUND2 GREENLEAF (JOHN1)6,7
was born Abt. 1573 in parish of Brixham (near Torbay), Devon, England -
of Newbury, Massachusetts8,9,10, and died March 24, 1670/71
in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts11,12,13.
He married (1) SARAH MOORE14,15 July 2, 161116,17
parish, Essex, England, daughter of ENOCH MOORE and CATHERINE. She
was baptized on December 13, 1588 in All Saints parish, Maldon, Essex,England18,19,20,
and died January 18, 1662/63 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts,
at age 7421,22,23. He married (2) SARAH JURDAINE, the widow
of WILLIAM HILL. In the year 1635 he came to America with his family, and
settled in Newbury, Mass. He was admitted a freeman on March 13, 1639.
May 22, 1639 was "permitted to keep a house of entertainment." Nov. 11,
1647 he requests his discharge from military service. Capt. Edmund Greenleaf
moved to Boston with his wife Sarah about 1650 (New England Historical
and Genealogical Register) where (1) wife Sarah died. In the early
part of 1671, Mr. Greenleaf died. His will, a very curious document, written,
as is supposed, by himself, was proved February 12, 1671, and is recorded
in the Probate Records in Boston, in the volume for 1669 to 1674, page
112. The following is a copy, the orthography being corrected:--"In the
name of God, amen.
The two-and-twentieth day of December, sixteen hundred sixty-eight, I, Edmund Greenleaf, being mindful of my own mortality and certainty of death, and uncertainty of the same, and being desirous to settle things in order, being now in good health and perfect memory, do make, appoint and ordain this to be my last will and testament, in manner and form following: that is to say--first, and principally, I give and bequeath my soul into the hands of my blessed Redeemer, the Lord Jesus, who hath died and gave himself for me, and his blood cleanseth from all sin, and through his righteousness I do only look for justification and salvation; and do commit my mortal body, after this life is ended, into the dust from whence it was taken, there to be preserved by the power and faithfulness of my Redeemer, Jesus Christ, until the resurrection of the just, and then to be raised up by the same power to immortality and life, where I shall see him as he is, and shall ever be with him; and in this faith and hope I desire, through his grace and assistance, to live and die, and at last to be found of him in peace. "Nextly, my will is, being according to God's will revealed in his word that we must pay what we owe and live of the rest, unto whose rule the sons of men ought to frame their wills and actions; therefore, my mind and will is, that my debts shall be truly and justly paid to every man to whom I shall be indebted, by my executors hereafter named. "And first I do revoke, renounce, frustrate and make void all wills by me formerly made; and I declare and appoint this to be my last will and testament. "Imprimis--I give unto my son Stephen Greenleaf, and to my daughter Browne, widow, and to my daughter Coffin, to each of them twenty shillings apiece. Item--I give unto my grandchild Elizabeth Hilton, ten pounds. Item--I give unto my grandchild Enoch Greenleaf, five pounds. "Item--I give unto my grandchild Sarah Winslow, five pounds, if her father pay me the four pounds he oweth me. "Item--I give unto my eldest son's son, James Greenleaf, twenty shillings; and after my funeral expenses, debts and legacies are discharged, I give and bequeath the rest of my estate unto my son Stephen Greenleaf, and to my daughter Elizabeth Browne, and to my daughter Judith Coffin, equally to be divided amongst them and their children. And further, I desire and appoint my son Stephen Greenleaf and Tristram Coffin the executors of this my will, to see it executed and affirmed as near as they can; and I further entreat my cousin Thomas Moon, mariner, to see to the performance of this my will. "In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal, this twenty-fifth day of December, 1668. Edmund Greenleaf L. S. Signed, sealed, published, and declared to be my last will in the presence of us, George Ruggell John Furniside
The inventory of Mr. Greenleaf's estate, which was appended to the will, amounted to oe131 5s. 9d.
The following paper is also recorded in the Probate Records, appended to the will, as, probably, assigning the reason why the name of his second wife, who appears to have outlived him, was not mentioned: "When I married my wife, I kept her grandchild, as I best remember, three years to schooling, diet and apparel; and William Hill, her son, had a bond of six pounds a year, whereof I received no more than a barrel of pork of oe3 0 0 of that oe6 0 0 a year he was to pay me, and sent to her son Ignatius Hill, to the Barbadoes, in mackerel, cider, and bread and pease, as much as come to twenty pounds, and never received one penny of it. His aunt gave to the three brothers oe50 apiece--I know not whether they received it or no; but I have not received any part of it.
Witness my hand, Edmund Greenleaf
Besides, when I married my wife, she brought me a silver bowl, a silver porringer, and a silver spoon. She lent or gave them to her son, James Hill, without my consent.
The number of children born to Edmund Greenleaf is not certainly known at this day. He mentions in his will three, viz.: Stephen, Elizabeth and Judith. These, probably, were all who survived their father. But he mentions in his will four grandchildren, the heirs, probably, of four children deceased, viz.: Elizabeth Hilton, Enoch Greenleaf, Sarah Winslow, and James Greenleaf, whom he calls his "eldest son's son." But Stephen Greenleaf had no son named either Enoch or James, and hence he must have had an older brother, and perhaps two, but we know nothing further of them.
Children of EDMUND GREENLEAF and SARAH MOORE are: (Number
order confused, corrected later on page)
i. JOHN3 GREENLEAF, b. 1612.
ii. ENOCH GREENLEAF, baptized on December 1, 1613 in St. Mary's la Tour, Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He was buried September 12, 1617
in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England.
iii. SAMUEL GREENLEAF, baptized on January 8, 1615/16 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He was buried on March 5, 1616/17 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England.
5. iv. ENOCH GREENLEAF, baptized March 20, 1617/18, St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England, England; d. Aft. 1683, of Malden, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
3. v. SARAH GREENLEAF, baptized March 26, 1620/21 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England; d. 1655.
4. vi. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF, baptized January 16, 1621/22 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England.
vii. NATHANIEL GREENLEAF44,45, baptized June 27, 1624 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England. He was buried July 24, 1633 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, Englandd. 163446,47,48.
6. viii. JUDITH GREENLEAF, b. September 02, 1625, Ipswich, Suffolk, England; d. December 15, 1705, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts.
7. ix. CAPTAIN STEPHEN GREENLEAF, baptized August 10, 1628 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England; d. October 01, 1690, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts.
x. MARY GREENLEAF, married JOHN WELLS March 5, 1668/69 in Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. "John Wells, of Newbury, took oath of allegiance, May, 1669, and was made a freeman the same month, a carpenter, married March 5, 1669, Mary, probably a daughter of Edmund Greenleaf, and had, December 16th, Mary, who died the year following. Mary, again, born Feb. 16, 1673. William, born Jan. 15, 1675." (Savages Genealogical Dictionary) In addition to the children listed by Savage is; John Wells b. August 20, 1671.
xi. DANIEL GREENLEAF39,40, baptized on August 14, 1631 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England; d. December 05, 165441,42,43 Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts, at age 23.
xii. JOHN GREENLEAF, born circa 1632 in Suffolk, England; married HANNAH VEAZIE July 26, 1665 in Braintree, Norfolk Co., Massachusetts. He died on December 15, 1712 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. Hannah was born on March 18, 1644 Braintree, Norfolk Co., Massachusetts. They had, b. in Boston: Elizabeth b. July 19, 1666, d. February 11, 1710/11 at age 44; Hannah b. October 5, 1668; Mary b. January 23, 1670/71; John b. February 10, 1672/73; William baptized June 18, 1675 in First Church, Boston, died young; Stephen b. March 5, 1677/78; Samuel b. February 26, 1680/81; Sarah b. September 3, 1683; William b. November 4, 1687, d. August 9, 1690 Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts, at age 2 years, 9 months and 5 days.
Generation No. 3
3. SARAH3 GREENLEAF (EDMUND2, JOHN1)92,93 baptized March 26, 1620/21 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England; died 165594,95. She married WILLIAM HILTON96,97. He was born in England98,99, and died September 07, 1675 in Charlestown, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts100,101.
Children of SARAH GREENLEAF and WILLIAM HILTON are:
i. CHARLES4 HILTON102,103, b. July 1643104,105.
ii. ANN HILTON106,107, b. February 12, 1648/49108,109.
iii. ELIZABETH HILTON110,111, b. November 06, 1650112,113.
iv. WILLIAM HILTON114,115, b. June 28, 1653116,117.
v. SARAH HILTON118,119,120, b. June 1641, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts121,122; d. April 04, 1667, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts123,124; m. EDWARD WINSLOW125,126, Bef. 1661127,128; b. Abt. 1635, Plymouth, Plymouth Co., Massachusetts128; d. November 19, 1682, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts128.
4. ELIZABETH3 GREENLEAF (EDMUND2, JOHN1)53,54 baptized January 16, 1621/22 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England55,56,57. She married (1) GILES BADGER58,59 164260,61,62. He died July 10, 164763,64. She married (2) RICHARD BROWNE65,66 February 16, 1647/4867,68,69. He died April 26, 166170,71.
Child of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and GILES BADGER is:
8. i. JOHN4 BADGER, b. June 30, 1643.
Children of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and RICHARD BROWNE
ii. ELIZABETH4 BROWNE72,73, b. March 29, 164974,75.
iii. RICHARD BROWNE76,77, b. February 18, 1650/5178,79.
iv. EDMUND BROWNE80,81, b. July 17, 165482,83.
v. SARAH BROWNE84,85, b. September 07, 165786,87.
vi. MARY BROWNE88,89, b. April 10, 166090,91.
5. ENOCH3 GREENLEAF (EDMUND2, JOHN1)129,130,131 baptized March 20, 1617/18, St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England, England132,132,133, and died Aft. 1683 of Malden, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts134,134,135. He married MARY136,137 Bef. 1647138,139,140. She died Aft. 1683141,141,142. 1663, had estate given by his father143,143,144 Occupation: dyer149,149,150
Children of ENOCH GREENLEAF and MARY are:
i. JAMES4 GREENLEAF151,152.
9. ii. JOSEPH GREENLEAF.
iii. MARY GREENLEAF153,154.
iv. RUTH GREENLEAF155,156, m. JOHN COOK157,158, December 16, 1689159,160.
10. v. ENOCH GREENLEAF, b. 1647, of Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; d. September 08, 1705.
vi. ROOKSBY GREENLEAF161,162, b. Bef. 1683163,163,164; m. THOMAS CRESSE165,166, June 30, 1697167,168.
6. JUDITH3 GREENLEAF (EDMUND2, JOHN1)169,170
was born September 02, 1625 in England171,172,173, and died
December 15, 1705 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts174,175,176.
She married (1) COLONEL HENRY SOMERBY177,178 1644 in Newbury,
Essex Co., Massachusetts179,180,181, a tailor. He died
October 02, 1652 of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts182,182,183.
She married (2) TRISTRAM COFFIN184,185,186 March 02, 1651/52
in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts187,188,189, son of TRISTRAM
COFFIN and DIONIS STEPHENS. He was born Abt. 1632 in Brixton, England190,191,
and died February 04, 1703/04 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts192,193.
TRISTRAM COFFIN: Mrs. Somerby married Tristram Coffin, Jr., who had been an apprentice to her first husband. By this marriage she had eleven children, who are the ancestors of the Coffins in New England.
May 21, 1679; With John Woodbridge, Richard Dumer, Henry Jacques, Tristram Coffin, John Eery Jr., Francis Brown, John Baily, Robert Long, Richard Bartlett, James Ordway, Thomas Hale Jr., Captain Daniel Pierce a committee to devise a plan for the division among freeholders of the "upper commons", or the "upper woods" from Artichoke river to the Bradford line. (History of Newbury, MA)
Representative to the General Court; 1695, 1700, 1701, 1702 (History of Newbury, MA)
Children of JUDITH GREENLEAF and HENRY SOMERBY are:
i. SARAH4 SOMERBY194,195, b. February 10, 1644/45196,197; d. June 19, 1672198,199; m. JOHN HALE200,201.
11. ii. ELIZABETH SOMERBY, b. November 01, 1646; d. Exeter, New Hampshire.
iii. JOHN SOMERBY202,203, b. December 24, 1648204,205; d. December 14, 1650206,207.
iv. DANIEL SOMERBY208,209, b. November 18, 1650210,211; d. 1675212,213.
v. HENRY SOMERBY214,215,216, d. Aft. 1718, of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts217,218,219. Representative to the General Court; 1705, 1706, 1714, 1716, 1717, 1718 (History of Newbury, MA)
Children of JUDITH GREENLEAF and TRISTRAM COFFIN are:
12. vi. JUDITH4 COFFIN, b. December 04, 1653, Newbury, Massachusetts.
vii. DEBORAH COFFIN220,221, b. November 10, 1655222,223; m. JOSEPH KNIGHT224,225,226, October 31, 1677227,228; of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts229,230,231.
13. viii. MARY COFFIN, b. November 12, 1657; d. November 20, 1725.
ix. JAMES COFFIN232,233, b. April 22, 1659234,235.
x. JOHN COFFIN236,237, b. September 08, 1660238,239; d. May 13, 1677240,241.
14. xi. LYDIA COFFIN, b. April 22, 1662.
xii. ENOCH COFFIN242,243, b. January 21, 1662/63244,245; d. November 12, 1675246,247.
15. xiii. STEPHEN COFFIN, b. August 18, 1664; d. August 31, 1725.
xiv. PETER COFFIN248,249, b. July 27, 1667250,251; d. January 19, 1745/46252,253.
16. xv. NATHANIEL COFFIN, b. March 22, 1668/69; d. February 20, 1748/49, of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts.
7. LIEUTENANT STEPHEN3 GREENLEAF (EDMUND2, JOHN1)254,255,256 was baptized on August 10, 1628 in St. Margaret's parish, Ipswich, Suffolk, England257,258,259, and died October 01, 1690 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts260,261,262. He married (1) ELIZABETH COFFIN263,264 November 13, 1651 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts265,266,267, daughter of TRISTRAM COFFIN and DIONIS STEPHENS. She was born Abt. 1631268,268,269, and died November 19, 1678270,270,271. He married (2) HESTER WEARE272,273 March 31, 1679274,275,276, daughter of NATHANIEL WEARE, and widow of BENJAMIN SWETT. She was born Abt. 1629 in Hampton, New Hampshire277,278,279, and died January 16, 1717/18 in Hampton, New Hampshire280,281,282. 1677, Freeman283,284,285 Representative to General Court; 1686 May 6, 1689; Chosen with Captain Thomas Noyes to consult with the Committee of Safety in Boston regarding safety for their community. (History of Newbury, MA) June 3, 1689; Chosen with Captain Thomas Noyes to represent the freeman of Newbury in Boston. (History of Newbury, MA) "Captain John March, Captain Stephen Greenleaf, Lieutenant James Smith, Ensign William Longfellow, and Ensign Lawrence Hart, of Newbury, Captain Philip Nelson, of Rowley, and Captain Daniel King, of Salem, were among the officers commissioned for service in the expedition to Canada under the command of Sir William Phips." (History of Newbury, MA) He was a captain of militia, and as such went to Cape Breton, in the Indian wars, and was there wrecked in a vessel and drowned, in company with nine others, on December 1, 1690, at the age of sixty years. His second wife outlived him, dying in Newbury, January 16, 1718, aged 89. Mr. Greenleaf was a religious man, a member of the First Congregational Church in Newbury, to which he was admitted December 6, 1674. 1690; "Twas Tuesday the 18th of November that I heard of the death of Captain Stephen Greenleaf, Lieut. James Smith, and Ensign William Longfellow, Sergeant Increase Pilsbury, who with Will Mitchell, Jabez Musgro, and four more were drowned at Cape Britoon on Friday night the last of October." (Diary Samuel Sewall)
Children of STEPHEN GREENLEAF and ELIZABETH COFFIN
17. i. CAPTAIN STEPHEN4 GREENLEAF, b. August 15, 1652, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts; d. October 13, 1743.
18. ii. SARAH GREENLEAF, b. October 15, 1655 Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts; d. October 13, 1743, or 9/1718?.
iii. DANIEL GREENLEAF292,293, b. February 17, 1657/58, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts294,294,295; d. December 05, 1659296,296,297.
19. iv. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF, born 5 April 1660 in Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
20. v. JOHN GREENLEAF, b. June 21, 1662, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts; d. June 24, 1734, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts.
21. vi. SAMUEL GREENLEAF, b. October 30, 1665, of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts; d. August 06, 1694.
22. vii. TRISTRAM GREENLEAF, b. February 11, 1667/68, of Newbury, Massachusetts; d. Aft. 1699.
23. viii. EDMUND GREENLEAF, b. May 10, 1670, of Newbury, Massachusetts; d. 1740.
ix. JUDITH GREENLEAF298,299, b. October 13, 1673300,300,301 Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts; d. November 19, 1678 in Massachusetts at age 5302,302,303.
24. x. MARY GREENLEAF, b. December 06, 1676 in Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
Generation No. 4
8. JOHN4 BADGER (ELIZABETH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)304,305 was born June 30, 1643306,307. He married (1) HANNAH SWETT308,309. He married (2) ELIZABETH BROWN310,311 Abt. 1663312,313. This John was twice married; by his second wife, Hannah Swett, he had a son, Nathaniel, who removed to Norwich, Conn., and is the ancestor of Rev. Milton Badger, D.D., Cor. Sec. of the Am. Home Miss. Soc.
Child of JOHN BADGER and HANNAH SWETT is:
i. NATHANIEL5 BADGER314,315.
9. JOSEPH4 GREENLEAF (ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1) He married SARAH318,319. She died June 04, 1690320,321.
Children of JOSEPH GREENLEAF and S. SARAH are:
i. SARAH5 GREENLEAF322,323, b. February 03, 1682/83324,325.
25. ii. ENOCH GREENLEAF, b. September 02, 1686.
iii. RACHEL GREENLEAF326,327, b. February 17, 1687/88328,329.
10. ENOCH4 GREENLEAF (ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)330,331 was born 1647 of Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts332,333,334, and died September 08, 1705335,336,337. He married (1) BETHIA WOODMAN338,339 October 20, 1675340,341. She was born 1650342,343, and died December 28, 1678 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts344,345. He married (2) CATHERINE TRUESDALE346,347 August 29, 1679348,349. She was born 1653350,351, and died August 1712 in Cambridge, Massachusetts352,353. He married (3) CATHERINE354,355 Bef. 1687356,357,358. She died Aft. 1688359,359,360.
Children of ENOCH GREENLEAF and BETHIA WOODMAN are:
i. BETHIA5 GREENLEAF361,362, b. August 11, 1676363,364,365; d. 1678366,367.
ii. ENOCH GREENLEAF368,369, b. 1678370,371; d. 1679, Boston, Massachusetts372,373.
Children of ENOCH GREENLEAF and CATHERINE TRUESDALE
iii. MARY5 GREENLEAF374,375, b. June 17, 1680376,377; d. 1693378,379.
iv. NATHANIEL GREENLEAF380,381, b. September 12, 1681382,383.
v. ENOCH GREENLEAF384,385, b. March 01, 1682/83386,387; d. 1683388,389.
vi. MARTHA GREENLEAF390,391, b. May 22, 1684392,393; d. 1684394,395.
vii. CATHERINE GREENLEAF396,397, b. August 16, 1685398,399; d. 1685400,401.
viii. JOSEPH GREENLEAF402,403, b. April 04, 1687404,405,406.
ix. RACHEL GREENLEAF407,408, b. November 10, 1688409,410,411; d. 1689412,413.
26. x. WILLIAM GREENLEAF, b. February 05, 1692/93.
11. ELIZABETH4 SOMERBY (JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)414,415 was born November 01, 1646416,417, and died in Exeter, New Hampshire418,419. She married (1) JOHN HALE420,421. She married (2) NATHANIEL CLARKE422,423 November 23, 1663424,425. He was born 1644426,427.
Children of ELIZABETH SOMERBY and NATHANIEL CLARKE
i. NATHANIEL5 CLARKE428,429, b. December 05, 1664430,431; d. June 06, 1665432,433.
ii. NATHANIEL CLARKE434,435, b. March 13, 1665/66436,437; m. ELIZABETH TAPPAN438,439, December 15, 1685440,441.
iii. THOMAS CLARKE442,443, b. February 09, 1667/68444,445; m. SARAH446,447, Abt. 1689448,449.
iv. JOHN CLARKE450,451, b. June 24, 1670452,453.
27. v. HENRY CLARKE, b. July 05, 1673.
vi. DANIEL CLARKE454,455, b. December 16, 1675456,457.
vii. SARAH CLARKE458,459, b. January 12, 1677/78460,461; m. NICHOLAS GILMAN462,463.
viii. JOSIAH CLARKE464,465, b. May 1682466,467.
ix. ELIZABETH CLARKE468,469, b. May 15, 1684470,471.
x. JUDITH CLARKE472,473, b. January 1686/87474,475.
xi. MARY CLARKE476,477, b. March 25, 1689478,479.
12. JUDITH4 COFFIN (JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)480,481 was born December 04, 1653 in Newbury, Massachusetts482,483. She married JOHN SANBORN484,485 November 19, 1674486,487.
Child of JUDITH COFFIN and JOHN SANBORN is:
28. i. JUDITH5 SANBORN.
13. MARY4 COFFIN (JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)488,489 was born November 12, 1657490,491, and died November 20, 1725492,493. She married JOSEPH LITTLE494,495. He was born September 22, 1653496,497.
Children of MARY COFFIN and JOSEPH LITTLE are:
i. JUDITH5 LITTLE498,499, b. July 19, 1678500,501; d. April 30, 1761502,503.
ii. JOSEPH LITTLE504,505, b. February 23, 1679/80506,507; d. August 14, 1693508,509.
iii. GEORGE LITTLE510,511, b. January 12, 1681/82512,513; d. July 02, 1760514,515.
iv. ENOCH LITTLE516,517, b. December 09, 1683518,519; d. April 28, 1766520,521.
v. TRISTRAM LITTLE522,523, b. April 07, 1688524,525; d. April 1762526,527.
vi. MOSES LITTLE528,529, b. May 05, 1690530,531; d. August 15, 1725532,533.
29. vii. DANIEL LITTLE, b. January 13, 1691/92; d. November 1777.
viii. SARAH LITTLE534,535, b. October 23, 1693536,537.
ix. BENJAMIN LITTLE538,539, b. October 13, 1696540,541; d. February 1736/37542,543.
14. LYDIA4 COFFIN (JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)544,545 was born April 22, 1662546,547. She married (1) MOSES LITTLE548,549. He was born March 11, 1656/57550,551. She married (2) JOHN PIKE552,553 March 18, 1694/95554,555, son of JOHN PIKE and MARY.
Children of LYDIA COFFIN and MOSES LITTLE are:
i. JOHN5 LITTLE556,557, b. January 08, 1679/80558,559; d. March 25, 1753560,561.
ii. TRISTRAM LITTLE562,563, b. December 09, 1681564,565; d. November 11, 1765566,567.
iii. SARAH LITTLE568,569, b. April 28, 1684570,571; d. December 10, 1710572,573.
iv. MARY LITTLE574,575, b. January 13, 1685/86576,577; d. January 1761578,579.
v. ELIZABETH LITTLE580,581, b. May 25, 1688582,583; d. March 25, 1719584,585; m. ANTHONY MORSE586,587, January 21, 1717/18588,589.
vi. MOSES LITTLE590,591, b. February 26, 1690/91592,593; d. October 17, 1780594,595.
15. STEPHEN4 COFFIN (JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)596,597 was born August 18, 1664598,599, and died August 31, 1725600,601. He married SARAH ATKINSON602,603.
Child of STEPHEN COFFIN and SARAH ATKINSON is:
30. i. JUDITH5 COFFIN, b. 1693; d. 1769.
16. NATHANIEL4 COFFIN (JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)604,605,606 was born March 22, 1668/69607,608, and died February 20, 1748/49 of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts609,610,611. He married SARAH BROCKLEBANK612,613. Representative to the General Court; 1719, 1720, 1721 (History of Newbury, MA) May 23, 1720; Resigned office of representative to General Court, Thomas Hale took his place. (History of Newbury, MA)
Child of NATHANIEL COFFIN and SARAH BROCKLEBANK is:
i. JOHN5 COFFIN614,615, b. 1694616,617; d. 1762618,619; m. JUDITH GREENLEAF620,621, 1713622,623; b. December 15, 1692624,624,625; d. 1762626,627.
17. CAPTAIN STEPHEN4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)628,629 was born August 15, 1652 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts630,630,631, and died October 13, 1743632,632,633. He married (1) HANNAH JORDAN634,635. He married (2) ELIZABETH GERRISH636,637 October 23, 1676638,639,640, daughter of WILLIAM GERRISH and JOANNA LOWELL. She was born September 10, 1654 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts641,642,643. He was a man very famous in his day, and is usually distinguished in the records of Newbury as "Capt. Stephen." He was much distinguished in the Indian wars, and is mentioned in "Mather's Magnalia," as commanding a company in the celebrated battle with the French and Indians at Wells, in Maine, in 1690. For several years he was the representative of Newbury in the General Court, and in 1689 was the Agent of the State to treat with the Indians at Pennicook. Representative to General Court; 1694, 1703, 1704, 1708. (History of Newbury, MA) Military service: King Philip's War on Connecticut River above Hatfield - wounded August 25, 1675644,644,645
Children of STEPHEN GREENLEAF and ELIZABETH GERRISH
31. i. ELIZABETH5 GREENLEAF, b. January 12, 1677/78.
32. ii. REVEREND DANIEL GREENLEAF, b. February 10, 1679/80, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts; d. August 27, 1763, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts.
iii. STEPHEN GREENLEAF646,647, b. August 31, 1682648,648,649; d. a few weeks650,650,651.
iv. WILLIAM GREENLEAF652,653, b. April 01, 1684654,654,655; d. April 1684, age 2 weeks656,656,657.
v. JOSEPH GREENLEAF658,659, b. April 12, 1686660,660,661. He resided in Newbury, where he married Thomasine, by whom he had seven children. Of the three eldest nothing is known. Joseph, Jun., the second son, resided in Newbury. Stephen, the third son, married Mary Davis, of Gloucester, Mass., where he resided, and where some of his descendants are still living. Mayo, the youngest son of Joseph, Sen., resided in Newbury. He had three children. Of two of these nothing is known. His second son, Abel, married Catharine, and had seven children. Joseph Greenleaf, Jun., the second son of Joseph, Sen., married Mary. He resided in Newbury, and had four sons and one daughter. Of the daughter and the second son, Thomas, nothing is known. The third son, Benjamin, married Thomasin Davis, and resided in Gloucester, Mass. He had two children--perhaps more. The youngest son was Stephen. He married Anna Worthington, and had three sons and one daughter. Nothing is known of his children except John, the eldest, who was born about 1780. He married Ann Evans, and resided in Lancaster county, Penn. He had nine children, six sons and three daughters, all born in Lancaster county. Nothing definite is known of these except the eldest son, John, who married Hannah Chamberlain, Jan. 10, 1837, and had a son born in 1838, and a daughter born in 1842. He resides in Columbus, Ohio. Joseph Greenleaf, 3d, was the eldest son of Joseph, Jun. He married Mercy, and had three children. He resided in Newbury.
vi. SARAH GREENLEAF662,663, b. July 19, 1688664,664,665; m. KENT.
33. vii. STEPHEN GREENLEAF, b. October 21, 1690, Newbury, Massachusetts.
viii. JOHN GREENLEAF666,667, b. August 29, 1693668,668,669.
ix. BENJAMIN GREENLEAF670,671,672, b. December 14, 1695673,673,674; d. Aft. 1741, of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts675,676,677.
Representative to the General Court; 1741 (History of Newbury, MA)
x. MOSES GREENLEAF678,679, b. February 24, 1697/98680,680,681.
18. SARAH4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)682,683 was born October 15, 1655684,684,685, and died October 13, 1743. She married RICHARD DOLE688,689 July 07, 1677690,691,692. He was born September 06, 1650693,694, and died August 01, 1723695,696.
Children of SARAH GREENLEAF and RICHARD DOLE are:
i. RICHARD5 DOLE697,698, b. August 28, 1678699,700.
ii. ELIZABETH DOLE701,702, b. 1679703,704; m. JOSHUA PLUMMER705,706, 1699707,708.
iii. SARAH DOLE709,710, b. February 14, 1680/81711,712; m. WILLIAM JOHNSON713,714, January 01, 1707/08715,716.
iv. HANNAH DOLE717,718, b. December 05, 1682719,720; m. EDMUND GOODRICH721,722; b. November 16, 1702723,724.
v. JOHN DOLE725,726, b. February 02, 1684/85727,728.
vi. STEPHEN DOLE729,730, b. December 02, 1687731,732.
vii. JOSEPH DOLE733,734.
viii. MARY DOLE735,736, b. July 01, 1694737,738; m. JOHN GERRISH739,740, 1723741,742.
19. ELIZABETH4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2,
JOHN1)743,744 was born April 09, 1660
or April 5?745,745,746. She married CAPTAIN THOMAS
NOYES747,748,749 September 24, 1677750,751,752,
son of JAMES NOYES. May 6, 1689; Chosen with Captain Thomas Noyes
to consult with the Committee of Safety in Boston regarding safety for
their community. (History of Newbury, MA)
June 3, 1689; Chosen with Captain Thomas Noyes to represent the freeman of Newbury in Boston. (History of Newbury, MA)
June 8, 1692; With Captain Daniel Pierce chosen to represent Newbury in General Assembly. (History of Newbury, MA) Representative to General Court; 1692, 1693, 1694, 1696, 1698, 1699, 1707 (History of Newbury, MA)
Child of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and THOMAS NOYES is:
i. MAJOR JAMES5 NOYES753,754,755, d. Aft. 1717, of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts756,757,758. Representative to the General Court; 1717 (History of Newbury, MA)
20. JOHN4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)759,760 was born June 21, 1662 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts761,762,763, and died June 24, 1734 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts764,765,766. He married (1) ELIZABETH HILL767,768 October 12, 1685 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts769,770,771, daughter of GERSHOM HILLS and ELIZABETH CHADWICK. She was born February 1668/69 in Malden, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts772,773, and died April 15, 1712 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts774,775,776. He married (2) LYDIA FROST777,778 May 13, 1716779,780, daughter of CHARLES FROST. She was born Abt. 1674781,782, and died May 15, 1752783,784. John Greenleaf was the second son of Stephen Greenleaf, Sen., and Elizabeth Coffin his wife, who lived to marry, and was born at Newbury, June 21, 1662, and resided in Newbury until his death. He was admitted to the First Congregational Church in Newbury, with his first wife, on Jan. 31, 1696. Mr. Greenleaf died May 24, 1734, at the age of 72. His second wife survived him, dying May 13th, 1752, aged 78. He was buried near the north corner of the "Old town" meeting-house. The present house of worship occupying that site, probably covers the grave. The three eldest children of John Greenleaf, Sen., were daughters, viz.: Elizabeth, Jane and Judith. Judith died in infancy, and of Elizabeth and Jane nothing is known. He had another daughter, Martha, born in 1699, who married a Mr. Gage, of Newbury. For the descendants of John Greenleaf, Sen., in the line of his six sons. There were three John Greenleafs living in Newbury at the same time, viz.: John, Sen., the son of Stephen, Sen.; John, Jun., the son of Samuel and nephew of John, Sen., and John, 3d, the son of John, Sen., and they are thus distinguished in the Newbury records. John, Sen., is sometimes called "Quartermaster John."
Children of JOHN GREENLEAF and ELIZABETH HILL are:
i. ELIZABETH5 GREENLEAF785,786, b. July 30, 1686, Newbury, Massachusetts787,787,788.
ii. JANE GREENLEAF789,790, b. November 10, 1687, Newbury, Massachusetts791,791,792.
iii. JUDITH GREENLEAF793,794, b. July 15, 1689, Newbury, Massachusetts795,795,796; d. September 30, 1690, Newbury, Massachusetts797,797,798.
iv. DANIEL GREENLEAF799,800, b. December 24, 1690, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts801,801,802; d. January 1728/29803,804. Resided in Newbury. He followed the sea, and was drowned on Newbury bar in January or February, 1729. He married Mary Moody, and had buried three young children before his death, leaving four when he died: two sons, David and Jonathan, and two daughters--Elizabeth, who married Moses Pearson, of Byefield, and Sarah, who married Isaac Johnson. His wife had a daughter born a few months after his death, who died in infancy.
v. JOHN GREENLEAF805,806, b. January 03, 1691/92, Newbury, Massachusetts807,808.
vi. PARKER GREENLEAF809,810, b. February 20, 1694/95, Newbury, Massachusetts811,811,812. Resided in Newbury, and had two children, both daughters, and the family name is extinct in that line.
vii. SAMUEL GREENLEAF813,814, b. April 1697, Newbury, Massachusetts815,816. Samuel Greenleaf, the son of John, Sen., married Elizabeth Kingsbury; he resided in Newbury, and had two children, viz.: Margery, born Sept. 6, 1725; she married a Mr. Lunt, of Portsmouth, N. H., and was an eminently pious woman; and Samuel, born Sept. 8, 1727. He resided in Newbury, where he died, April 23, 1793, at the age of 66. He had eight children, seven of them being daughters. His only son, Samuel, died at sea, unmarried, and the family name is extinct in this line. Of his daughters, Anna, the eldest child, married Capt. Green Pearson, of Newbury; Sarah was deaf and dumb, but very intelligent. She died unmarried, Dec. 26, 1824. Margery married, first, Capt. Roberts, and second, P. Rousseau of Newburyport. Elizabeth married William Parsons of Boston. Mary married Mr. Sigourney of Boston. Jerusha married Rev. Pearson Thurston, who was settled at Somerworth, N. H., and afterwards at St. Johnsbury, Vt., and Judith, who married Enoch Sawyer of Newbury, (Belville.)
viii. MARTHA GREENLEAF817,818, b. April 23, 1699, Newbury, Massachusetts819,819,820.
ix. BENJAMIN GREENLEAF821,822, b. November 21, 1701, Newbury, Massachusetts823,824,825; d. July 04, 1783, Newburyport, Massachusetts826,827. Benjamin Greenleaf, the son of John, Sen., resided in Newburyport, where he died at the age of 82, on July 4, 1783. He was twice married, first to Anne Hale and second to Abigail Moody. By his first marriage he had one daughter, Susanna, who married Timothy Greenleaf, her second cousin, the son of John, Sen. (See note 12.) By the second marriage he had six children, viz.: Anne, who married Matthew Perkins of Newburyport; Judith, who died unmarried at the age of 66; Ebenezer; Abel, who died unmarried at the age of 66; Elizabeth, who died unmarried at the age of 68, and Jane, who married Capt. William Coombs, of Newburyport. The two unmarried sisters, familiarly known as "aunt Judy and aunt Betty," and the bachelor brother, known as "uncle Abel," made one family, who are well remembered in Newburyport. They died within a few years of each other, Judith in 1796, Abel in 1799, and Elizabeth in 1805. Ebenezer, the eldest son of Benjamin Greenleaf, married Hannah Titcomb, and had five children. Two died single. His eldest daughter, Eunice, married Bejamin Chadbourn, of South Berwick, Me., and Hannah, the younger, married Jacob Perkins of Newburyport. The son who lived to maturity was Ebenezer. He married his cousin, Jane Coombs, and had two children: William Coombs, born Oct. 8, 1797, and Mary Coombs, born Jan. 31, 1800. The son, William C., was a Presbyterian minister. He married Clara P. Greenleaf, a distant relative, and died of the cholera at Springfield, Illinois, July 22, 1851. He had no children. His sister is still living, single. Mrs. Jane Greenleaf, the wife Ebenezer Greenleaf, and daughter of Capt. Coombs, was a woman of remarkable piety, and widely known in the religious world. She outlived her husband nearly twenty years, dying at the age of 85, May 15, 1851. An interesting memoir of her life was published, written by her daughter.
x. STEPHEN GREENLEAF. Stephen Greenleaf, the youngest child of John, Sen., married Eunice Wallis of Boston. He resided there, living in what is now Washington street, (then Newbury street,) a little south of the "Lamb Tavern," where he died Dec. 22, 1765, aged 61. His remains lie in the tomb of Mr. Wallis, near the north corner of Park Street Church. He had eleven children: six of the number died unmarried, and most of them in infancy: one daughter, Elizabeth, lived unmarried to the age of 87, and died in 1826. Of the five children who married, Thomas married the widow Harris, whose son by her first marriage was the Rev. Dr. Harris of Dorchester, but she left no child by Mr. Greenleaf. Stephen, the second son, married the widow Soley, of Boston, and had one son, who died unmarried. John, the other son, who married, resided in Portsmouth, N. H., and was engaged in running the first stage from Boston to Portsmouth. He had one son, Stephen, who died in Boston unmarried, at the age of 32. Thus the name of Greenleaf is extinct in this branch of the family. The two daughters of Stephen Greenleaf who married, were Eunice and Mary. Eunice married Samuel Franklin, of Boston, and died there June 12, 1787. She left a daughter, Hannah, who married Samuel Emmons, of Boston. They resided in Elliot street. Mrs. Emmons died there in Dec., 1840, aged 83. Mary married John Roulstone, of Boston, and died in 1798. She buried four children young, and left four daughters, viz.: Elizabeth Greenleaf, who married John Andrews; Ruth, who married John Gray; Jane Patterson, who married Paul Pritchard, and Eunice Wallis, who married Samuel Browning.
21. SAMUEL4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)828,829 was born October 30, 1665 of Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts830,830,831, and died August 06, 1694832,832,833. He married SARAH KENT834,835 March 01, 1685/86836,837,838, daughter of JOHN KENT and SARAH WOODMAN. She died Aft. 1692839,839,840. Samuel Greenleaf was the third son of Stephen Greenleaf, Sen., who lived to maturity. He married Sarah Kent, and resided in Newbury, where he died Aug. 6, 1694, at the age of 29. He left three sons and one daughter. Nothing definite is now known of these children, except of the second son, "John, Jun.," who was born Oct. 3, 1688, and died in 1778. He resided in Newbury, where he married Abigail, and had six children. He was by trade a ship-blacksmith, a business which has been followed by many of his descendants. Joshua Greenleaf, the eldest son of John, Jun., married Judith Moody, and had seven children. His wife died May 20, 1763, and he afterwards married the widow of Stephen Kent, who also died before him. Mr. Greenleaf lived to be nearly 90 years of age, but was very decrepit, using crutches for several years. Four of the children of Joshua Greenleaf, Sen., lived to maturity, viz.: Judith, who married Moses Kent, and Abigail, who married Capt. Philip Aubin. Both resided in Newburyport. The sons, Abner and John, resided also in Newburyport. Abner Greenleaf, Sen., the son of Joshua, Sen., was thrice married: first to Miss Dole of Newburyport; second to Elizabeth Milk, the daughter of Deacon James Milk of Portland, Me., and third to Anna Beck, the daughter of Deacon Beck of Newburyport. His third wife survived him for several years, dying Feb. 15, 1818, at the age of 74. Mr. Greenleaf had one child by his first wife, and eleven by the second. Seven of the number died in infancy. His eldest son, Samuel, settled himself in Plymouth, N. H., where he died in 1815, leaving five children, viz.: Abigail, who has deceased; James, who was married but died without issue; Philip, had one son, Lewis, who resided in Salisbury,
Children of SAMUEL GREENLEAF and SARAH KENT are:
i. DANIEL5 GREENLEAF841,842,843, b. February 28, 1686/87844,844,845.
ii. JOHN GREENLEAF846,847,848, b. October 13, 1688849,849,850.
iii. STEPHEN GREENLEAF851,852,853, b. August 27, 1690854,854,855.
iv. SARAH GREENLEAF856,857,858, b. November 03, 1692859,859,860.
22. TRISTRAM4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)861,862 was born February 11, 1667/68 of Newbury, Massachusetts863,863,864, and died Aft. 1699865,865,866. He married MARGARET PIPER867,868 November 12, 1689869,870,871. She died Aft. 1699872,872,873.
Children of TRISTRAM GREENLEAF and MARGARET PIPER are:
i. NATHANIEL5 GREENLEAF874,875, b. January 25, 1691/92
ii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF878,879,880, b. March 16, 1692/93
iii. STEPHEN GREENLEAF883,884,885, b. April 16, 1694
iv. EDMUND GREENLEAF888,889,890, b. June 24, 1695
v. SARAH GREENLEAF893,894,895, b. March 27, 1697
vi. JUDITH GREENLEAF898,899,900, b. September 28, 1698
vii. MARY GREENLEAF903,904,905, b. September 28, 1699
viii. PRUDENCE GREENLEAF
ix. TRISTRAM GREENLEAF
x. ENOCH GREENLEAF
xi. SAMUEL GREENLEAF
34. xii. NATHANIEL GREENLEAF, b. 1691; d. 1775.
23. EDMUND4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)916,917 was born May 10, 1670 of Newbury, Massachusetts918,918,919, and died 1740920,920,921. He married ABIGAIL SOMERBY922,923 July 02, 1691924,925,926, daughter of ABIEL SOMERBY. She was born 1670927,928, and died Aft. 1703929,929,930.
Children of EDMUND GREENLEAF and ABIGAIL SOMERBY are:
i. JUDITH5 GREENLEAF933,934, b. December 15, 1692935,935,936; d. 1762937,938; m. JOHN COFFIN939,940, 1713941,942; b. 1694943,944; d. 1762945,946.
ii. REBECCA GREENLEAF947,948, b. September 29, 1693949,949,950; died young
iii. ABIGAIL GREENLEAF953,954,955, b. March 06, 1694/95
iv. MARY GREENLEAF958,959,960, b. September 10, 1697
v. REBECCA GREENLEAF963,964, b. February 22, 1699/00
vi. EDMUND GREENLEAF967,968,969, b. February 10, 1702/03
vii. REBECCA GREENLEAF972,973.
viii. HENRY GREENLEAF974,975.
ix. REBECCA GREENLEAF976,977.
x. RICHARD GREENLEAF978,979.
xi. ROOKSBY GREENLEAF980,981.
24. MARY4 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)982,983 was born December 06, 1676984,984,985. She married JOSHUA MOODY986,987 1696988,989,990, son of CALEB MOODY and JUDITH BRADBURY. He was born November 03, 1671991,992.
Children of MARY GREENLEAF and JOSHUA MOODY are:
i. ELIZABETH5 MOODY993,994, b. December 04, 1698
ii. JOSHUA MOODY997,998, b. November 11, 1700
iii. ABIGAIL MOODY1001,1002, b. September 30, 1703
iv. JUDITH MOODY1005,1006, b. October 26, 1705
35. v. MARY MOODY, b. June 26, 1697.
Generation No. 5
25. ENOCH5 GREENLEAF (JOSEPH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1009,1010 was born September 02, 16861011,1012. He married REBECCA RUSSELL1013,1014, daughter of SAMUEL RUSSELL and ELIZABETH ELBRIDGE.
Child of ENOCH GREENLEAF and REBECCA RUSSELL is:
36. i. ELIZABETH6 GREENLEAF, b. Abt. 1716; d. September 02, 1771.
26. WILLIAM5 GREENLEAF (ENOCH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1015,1016 was born February 05, 1692/931017,1018. He married (1) MARY SHATTUCK1019,1020 June 10, 17141021,1022. She died August 18, 17321023,1024. He married (2) RUTH RUGGLES1025,1026 17331027,1028.
Children of WILLIAM GREENLEAF and MARY SHATTUCK are:
i. MARY6 GREENLEAF1029,1030, b. May 09, 17221031,1032; m. JOHN LEVERETT1033,1034, December 19, 17571035,1036; b. January 28, 1725/261037,1038; d. 17771039,1040.
ii. WILLIAM GREENLEAF1041,1042, b. September 01, 17161043,1044; d. September 20, 17591045,1046.
iii. JOSEPH GREENLEAF1047,1048, b. September 14, 17181049,1050; d. September 24, 17181051,1052.
37. iv. JOSEPH GREENLEAF, b. November 10, 1720; d. October 28, 1810, Malden, Massachusetts.
v. CATHERINE GREENLEAF1053,1054, b. November 29, 17231055,1056.
vi. SUSANNA GREENLEAF1057,1058, b. September 01, 17251059,1060.
vii. ABIGAIL GREENLEAF1061,1062, b. October 29, 17261063,1064.
viii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF1065,1066, b. October 17, 17271067,1068.
ix. HANNAH GREENLEAF1069,1070, b. August 06, 17291071,1072.
x. ENOCH GREENLEAF1073,1074, b. July 09, 17321075,1076; m. GRIDLEY1077,1078.
Children of WILLIAM GREENLEAF and RUTH RUGGLES are:
xi. JOHN6 GREENLEAF1079,1080, b. March 17, 1733/341081,1082; d. 17351083,1084.
xii. RICHARD GREENLEAF1085,1086, b. April 26, 17351087,1088; d. 17351089,1090.
38. xiii. OLIVER GREENLEAF, b. Abt. 1737.
27. HENRY5 CLARKE (ELIZABETH4 SOMERBY, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1091,1092 was born July 05, 16731093,1094. He married (1) ELIZABETH GREENLEAF1095,1096 November 07, 16951097,1098,1099, daughter of STEPHEN GREENLEAF and ELIZABETH GERRISH. She was born January 12, 1677/781100,1100,1101. He married (2) MARY PIERCE1102,1103 17241104,1105.
Children of HENRY CLARKE and ELIZABETH GREENLEAF are:
i. STEPHEN6 CLARKE1106,1107, b. February 21, 1696/971108,1109; d. Abt. 17241110,1111.
ii. HENRY CLARKE1112,1113, b. November 21, 16981114,1115.
iii. JUDITH CLARKE1116,1117, b. August 15, 17001118,1119.
iv. ELIZABETH CLARKE1120,1121, b. 17011122,1123; m. DANIEL THING1124,1125.
v. SARAH CLARKE1126,1127, b. August 07, 17021128,1129.
vi. EUNICE CLARKE1130,1131, b. October 15, 17041132,1133.
vii. JOHN CLARKE1134,1135, b. July 20, 17061136,1137; d. July 25, 17061138,1139.
viii. MARY CLARKE1140,1141, b. August 05, 17071142,1143.
ix. ENOCH CLARKE1144,1145, b. September 01, 17091146,1147; d. February 16, 17591148,1149.
x. ANNA CLARKE1150,1151, b. February 20, 1710/111152,1153.
Children of HENRY CLARKE and MARY PIERCE are:
39. xi. MERCY6 CLARKE, b. December 26, 1714.
xii. HENRY CLARKE1154,1155, b. April 23, 17171156,1157.
28. JUDITH5 SANBORN (JUDITH4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1) She married EBENEZER GOVE1160,1161.
Child of JUDITH SANBORN and EBENEZER GOVE is:
40. i. EDWARD6 GOVE.
29. DANIEL5 LITTLE (MARY4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1162,1163 was born January 13, 1691/921164,1165, and died November 17771166,1167. He married ABIAH CLEMENT1168,1169.
Child of DANIEL LITTLE and ABIAH CLEMENT is:
41. i. SARAH6 LITTLE.
30. JUDITH5 COFFIN (STEPHEN4, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1170,1171 was born 16931172,1173, and died 17691174,1175. She married NATHANIEL GREENLEAF1176,1177 17141178,1179, son of TRISTRAM GREENLEAF and MARGARET PIPER. He was born 16911180,1181, and died 17751182,1183.
Child of JUDITH COFFIN and NATHANIEL GREENLEAF is:
42. i. SARAH6 GREENLEAF, b. 1721.
31. ELIZABETH5 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3,
EDMUND2, JOHN1)1184,1185 was born January
12, 1677/781186,1186,1187. She married HENRY CLARKE1188,1189
07, 16951190,1191,1192, son of NATHANIEL CLARKE and ELIZABETH
SOMERBY. He was born July 05, 16731193,1194.
are listed above under (27) Henry Clarke.
32. REVEREND DANIEL5 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1195,1196 was born February 10, 1679/80 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts1197,1198,1199, and died August 27, 1763 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts1200,1201,1202. He married ELIZABETH GOOKIN1203,1204 November 18, 1701 in Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts1205,1206,1207, daughter of SAMUEL GOOKIN and MARY LARKIN. She was born November 11, 1681 in Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts1208,1209,1210, and died November 17621211,1212,1213. He was graduated at Harvard College, in 1699, and for about six years practised medicine in Cambridge. About the year 1706 he commenced preaching, and in 1708 was ordained pastor of the Congregational church in Yarmouth, Mass., where he remained nearly twenty years. Some difficulties then arising, he resigned his charge in 1727, and removed to Boston, and opened an apothecary's shop in what is now Washington street, between Court street and Cornhill. Here he resided until his death, which took place suddenly in 1763, at the age of eighty-three years. He was buried near the "stone chapel," in Tremont street
Children of DANIEL GREENLEAF and ELIZABETH GOOKIN are:
43. i. DANIEL6 GREENLEAF, b. November 17, 1702, Cambridge, Massachusetts; d. July 18, 1795, Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts.
44. ii. HONORABLE STEPHEN GREENLEAF, b. October 06, 1704, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts; d. January 26, 1795, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts or 12/22/1765.
45. iii. MARY GREENLEAF, b. August 29, 1706, Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; d. April 02, 1774, Norwalk, Connecticut.
46. iv. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF, b. August 24, 1708, Yarmouth, Massachusetts; d. May 15, 1778.
v. SARAH GREENLEAF1220,1221, b. April 16, 1710, Yarmouth, Massachusetts1222,1223,1224; d. March 28, 17761225,1226,1227.
vi. SAMUEL GREENLEAF1228,1229, b. May 09, 1712, Yarmouth, Massachusetts1230,1231,1232; d. 17481233,1234,1235.
47. vii. JANE GREENLEAF, b. May 24, 1714, Yarmouth, Massachusetts; d. December 10, 1764.
viii. HANNAH GREENLEAF1236,1237, b. October 03, 1716, Yarmouth, Massachusetts1238,1239,1240; d. January 03, 17991241,1242,1243; m. JOHN RICHARDS1244,1245.
48. ix. JOHN GREENLEAF, b. November 08, 1717, Yarmouth, Massachusetts; d. August 27, 1778, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts.
x. MERCY GREENLEAF1246,1247, b. 17191248,1249; m. JOHN SCOLLAY1250,1251.
xi. GOOKIN GREENLEAF1252,1253, b. September 18, 17211254,1255; d. December 13, 17211256,1257.
xii. SUSANNA GREENLEAF1258,1259, b. November 12, 1722, Yarmouth, Massachusetts1260,1261; d. February 26, 17821262,1263; m. JOHN COBURN1264,1265, February 07, 1749/50, Boston, Massachusetts1266,1267; b. May 25, 1724, York, Maine1268,1269; d. January 20, 18031270,1271.
49. xiii. WILLIAM GREENLEAF, b. January 10, 1724/25.
33. STEPHEN5 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1272,1273 was born October 21, 1690 in Newbury, Massachusetts1274,1275,1276. He married MARY MACKRES1277,1278 Abt. 1712. Resided for a time in Newbury, where he had four sons, Enoch, Richard, Samuel and Ebenezer. About the year 1720, he removed to Woolwich, in the State of Maine, where he had other children. He died at Woolwich in 1771. His son Samuel married Hephzibah Preble, of York, Me., and they had seven children. He died at Westport, Me., in 1792. His eldest son was Stephen, who was born in 1747, married Mary Knight of Scarborough, Me., by whom he had eleven children. Stephen resided in Westport, where he died in 1813. Of the four eldest children of Stephen, the son of Samuel, little is known. The eldest was Nathaniel, born May, 1770, and married Patience Sheldon in 1796. The second was Sarah, born 1772, married John Dunton in 1793. The third was Mary, born 1774, and married to Thomas Parsons. The fourth was Stephen, born 1775, who married widow Mary Knight in 1819, and died in 1835. Westbrook was the fifth child, born in 1778, at Westport, Lincoln county, Maine. He has been twice married, first to Mary Dunton, in 1800, and second to Ruth B. Harriman, in 1828. He had ten children. Of these, Abigail married Silas Lewis, in 1821; Mary married James McCarty, in 1825, and died in 1828; Westbrook, Jun., married Emeline Clifford in 1830; Austin married Eliza A. Tibbets in 1836; Mercy married David Shattuck in 1835; Daniel married Antoinette Clifford in 1845; and Eliza married Nathaniel Nelson in 1837. Most of these resided in Westport. Olive Greenleaf, the daughter of Stephen, and sister of Westbrook, married Captain Jotham Parsons, of Brooklyn, N. Y., on September 11, 1808. Rev. E. G. Parsons, once of Freeport, Me., and then of Derry, N. H., and Rev. B. F. Parsons, once of Wisconsin, and then of Dover, N.H., were her sons, and the wife of Rev. S. H. Shepley was her daughter. Thankful Greenleaf, the youngest sister of Mrs. Parsons, married Thomas Hodgdon in 1811. Ebenezer Greenleaf, the youngest child of Stephen, of Woolwich, was born in June, 1791, and resided at Westport. He married Abigail Hodgdon in April, 1816, and had ten children. Four of his daughters are; Susan, to John McNear, in 1843: Sophia, to George Shaw, in 1844; Mary A., to Lewis Wright, in 1846; and Emeline P., to James R. Jewett. Stephen Greenleaf, who, as stated above, removed from Newbury to Woolwich about the year 1720, with his family, had several children after that date, who settled in that part of Lincoln county, and several of their descendants, lived in the towns of Starks and Mercer, in Somerset county, Maine. John Greenleaf removed from Wiscasset, or that vicinity, to what is now the town of Starks, then but a wilderness, in the year 1778, being then but about 25 years of age. Here he lived, and died, about the year 1843, at the age of 90. Joseph, a brother to John, settled at Starks about the same time, and died there some years since. Ebenezer, another brother, came soon after, and died in Starks, about the year 1822. Daniel, a son of his, died there about 1851. William Greenleaf, a cousin to John and Joseph, came from the county of Lincoln about the year 1810, and settled in Starks; and Joshua, a brother of his, settled in Mercer, earlier. All these had large families, and among them were many enterprising and business-like men. William Greenleaf, Esq., of Squam Island, is also of this family.
Children of STEPHEN GREENLEAF and MARY MACKRES are:
i. ENOCH6 GREENLEAF1279,1280, b. June 23, 1713
ii. RICHARD GREENLEAF1283,1284, b. November 02, 1715
iii. SAMUEL GREENLEAF1287,1288, b. June 12, 17181289,1290; d. 1792, Westport, Maine
iv. EBENEZER GREENLEAF1293,1294, b. April 23, 1720, Maine
v. LYDIA GREENLEAF1297,1298, b. May 03, 1722, York, Maine
vi. STEPHEN GREENLEAF1301,1302, b. February 27, 1724/25, York, Maine
vii. JOSEPH GREENLEAF1305,1306, b. July 02, 1727, York, Maine1307,1308; d. 1772
viii. MARY GREENLEAF1311,1312, b. February 17, 1730/31, York, Maine
34. NATHANIEL5 GREENLEAF (TRISTRAM4, STEPHEN3,
EDMUND2, JOHN1)1315,1316 was born 16911317,1318,
and died 17751319,1320. He married JUDITH COFFIN1321,1322
17141323,1324, daughter of STEPHEN COFFIN and SARAH ATKINSON.
She was born 16931325,1326, and died 17691327,1328.
is listed above under (30) Judith Coffin.
35. MARY5 MOODY (MARY4 GREENLEAF, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1329,1330 was born June 26, 16971331,1332. She married JOHN HILL1333,1334 September 27, 1720 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts1335,1336, son of SAMUEL HILLS and ABIGAIL WHEELER. He was born September 20, 1693 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts1337,1338, and died Aft. 17341339,1340.
Children of MARY MOODY and JOHN HILL are:
i. JOSHUA6 HILL1341,1342, b. August 20, 1721, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts1343,1344; d. September 05, 1721
ii. MARY HILL1347,1348, b. September 14, 1722, Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts1349,1350.
Generation No. 6
36. ELIZABETH6 GREENLEAF (ENOCH5, JOSEPH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1351,1352 was born Abt. 17161353,1354, and died September 02, 17711355,1356. She married THOMAS GERRY1357,1358.
Children of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and THOMAS GERRY are:
i. THOMAS7 GERRY.
ii. JOHN GERRY.
iii. ELIZABETH GERRY4.
iv. SAMUEL RUSSELL GERRY.
v. ELBRIDGE GERRY1367,1368, b. July 17, 17441369,1370; d. November 23, 1814; m. ANN THOMPSON1373,1374.
37. JOSEPH6 GREENLEAF (WILLIAM5, ENOCH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1375,1376 was born November 10, 17201377,1378, and died October 28, 1810 in Malden, Massachusetts1379,1380. He married ABIGAIL PAINE1381,1382, daughter of THOMAS PAINE and EUNICE.
Children of JOSEPH GREENLEAF and ABIGAIL PAINE are:
i. ABIGAIL7 GREENLEAF1383,1384, b. 1750
50. ii. ABIGAIL GREENLEAF, b. February 28, 1753.
iii. JOSEPH GREENLEAF1387,1388, b. May 28, 17541389,1390; d. November 1777, Boston, Massachusetts
51. iv. THOMAS GREENLEAF, b. 1755; d. 1798.
v. MARY GREENLEAF1393,1394, b. 17571395,1396; d. 1804
vi. CATHERINE GREENLEAF1399,1400, b. June 11, 1760
vii. EUNICE PAYNE GREENLEAF1403,1404, b. August 07, 17621405,1406; d. April 11, 1803
38. OLIVER6 GREENLEAF (WILLIAM5, ENOCH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1409,1410 was born Abt. 17371411,1412. He married DORCAS WELCH1413,1414.
Children of OLIVER GREENLEAF and DORCAS WELCH are:
i. GEORGE7 GREENLEAF1415,1416, d. February 02, 1818
ii. JOSEPH GREENLEAF1419,1420, d. 1816
iii. RUTH GREENLEAF
iv. DORCAS GREENLEAF
v. OLIVER CROMWELL GREENLEAF1427,1428, b. Abt. 17901429,1430; d. Abt. 1835
39. MERCY6 CLARKE (HENRY5, ELIZABETH4 SOMERBY, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1433,1434 was born December 26, 1714. She married JONATHAN LONGFELLOW1437,1438 October 28, 1731.
Child of MERCY CLARKE and JONATHAN LONGFELLOW is:
52. i. SARAH7 LONGFELLOW, b. November 16, 1737.
40. EDWARD6 GOVE (JUDITH5 SANBORN, JUDITH4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1) He married BETHIA CLARK1443,1444.
Child of EDWARD GOVE and BETHIA CLARK is:
53. i. NATHANIEL7 GOVE.
41. SARAH6 LITTLE (DANIEL5, MARY4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1) She married WILLIAM AYER1447,1448.
Child of SARAH LITTLE and WILLIAM AYER is:
54. i. DANIEL7 AYER.
42. SARAH6 GREENLEAF (NATHANIEL5, TRISTRAM4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1449,1450 was born 17211451,1452. She married JOSEPH WHITTIER1453,1454 17391455,1456, son of JOSEPH WHITTIER and MARY PEASLEY. He was born 17161457,1458.
Child of SARAH GREENLEAF and JOSEPH WHITTIER is:
55. i. JOHN7 WHITTIER, b. 1760.
43. DANIEL6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1459,1460 was born November 17, 1702 in Cambridge, Massachusetts1461,1462, and died July 18, 1795 in Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts1463,1464. He married (1) DOROTHY WILDER1465,1466 November 18, 17621467,1468. He married (2) SILENCE NICHOLS1469,1470 July 18, 1726 in Hingham, Massachusetts1471,1472, daughter of ISRAEL NICHOLS and MARY SUMNER. She was born July 04, 1702 in Hingham, Massachusetts1473,1474, and died May 13, 1762 in Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts1475,1476.
Children of DANIEL GREENLEAF and SILENCE NICHOLS are:
i. DAVID COFFIN7 GREENLEAF1477,1478, b. January 29, 1727/28, Hingham, Massachusetts1479,1480; d. September 30, 1728, Hingham, Massachusetts1481,1482.
56. ii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF, b. October 30, 1729, Hingham, Massachusetts; d. 1828.
57. iii. DANIEL GREENLEAF, b. September 02, 1732, Hingham, Massachusetts; d. January 18, 1777.
58. iv. ISRAEL GREENLEAF, b. March 29, 1734, Bolton, Massachusetts; d. March 04, 1824, New York.
59. v. STEPHEN GREENLEAF, b. October 15, 1735, Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts; d. June 08, 1802, Brattleboro, Vermont.
vi. DAVID GREENLEAF1483,1484, b. 17371485,1486; m. MARY JOHNSON1487,1488.
vii. WILLIAM GREENLEAF1489,1490, b. 17381491,1492; m. SARAH QUINCY1493,1494.
viii. CALVIN GREENLEAF1495,1496, b. 17401497,1498; m. REBECCA WHITCOMB1499,1500.
ix. MARY GREENLEAF1501,1502, b. 17421503,1504; m. JOSEPH WHEELER1505,1506.
x. JOHN GREENLEAF1507,1508, b. June 13, 17441509,1510; d. August 02, 17441511,1512.
44. HONORABLE STEPHEN6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1513,1514,1515,1516 was born October 06, 1704 in Newbury, Essex Co., Massachusetts1517,1518, and died January 26, 1795 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts or 12/22/17651519,1520. He married MARY GOULD1521,1522,1523 August 05, 17311524,1525. She was born August 20, 17061526,1527. After Lexington battle, Boston was closely shut up, and Mr. Sheriff Greenleaf, being a Tory, remained there with the British troops, exercising his office only within the lines. His younger brother, William Greenleaf, who was a staunch Whig, was appointed Sheriff of Suffolk by the provincial Congress, then sitting at Watertown, exercising his office in the other parts of the county out of Boston. The British evacuated Boston in March, 1776, and a new. Legislature was chosen in May following. In July of that year Independence was declared, the Sheriff, Mr. William Greenleaf, proclaiming it from the balcony of the Old State House in State street. Stephen Greenleaf then resigned his office, and keeping himself quiet, lived unmolested in Boston till his death, which took place in January, 1795, at the age of 91. Town offices: Last Sheriff of Suffolk Co. under the Crown1528,1529,1530
Children of STEPHEN GREENLEAF and MARY GOULD are:
60. i. MARY7 GREENLEAF, b. November 20, 1732, of Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts; d. Abt. 1820, Bath, England.
ii. JAMES GOULD GREENLEAF1531,1532,1533, b. January 01, 1733/341534,1535,1536; died young
iii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF1540,1541,1542, b. December 10, 17381543,1544,1545,1546.
iv. ABIGAIL GREENLEAF1547,1548,1549, b. April 18, 17401550,1551,1552; died infancy
v. ANSTICE GREENLEAF1556,1557,1558, b. January 26, 1741/421559,1560,1561,1562; d. 17751563,1564,1565; m. BENJAMIN DAVIS1566,1567,1568, Aft. 17521569,1570; b. Abt. 17291571,1572; d. September 14, 1805, Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts1573,1574,1575.
BENJAMIN DAVIS: Loyalist, exiled during Revolutionary War, but returned from England before death in 1805. Occupation: merchant1576,1577,1578 Town offices: Officer in Customs House1579,1580,1581
vi. ABIGAIL GREENLEAF1582,1583,1584,1585, b. September 18, 1743, of Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts1586,1587,1588,1589,1590; d. 1796, or 1801?, no children1591,1592,1593,1594,1595; m. MARTIN HOWARD1596,1597,1598,1599; d. November 24, 1781, Chelsea, England - of North Carolina1600,1601,1602,1603. During the war they went to England, where he died. Mrs. Howard returned to Boston, and lived with her father until his death. She had no children, and when she died she bequeathed a valuable collection of books to the "Boston Library," and a considerable amount of property to Trinity Church. MARTIN HOWARD: "Chief Justice of North Carolina. His mutilated letter from New York to Charles Mellish, September 12, 1777, concerning his affairs is in A.O.13/41. He died November 24, 1781, and his loyalist pension was continued to his widow Abigail. (T. 50/7; A.O. 461/16; A.O. 461/17; C.O. 5/176, f. 15) In her letter, dated from Boston, Massachusetts, January 18, 1785, his daughter Anne Howard (by his first wife), states that she had failed to recover any of her father's property there. (A.O. 12/101, f. 209) The memorial of Mrs. and Miss Howard shows that they had lost property in America valued at 3,329 8s 6d pounds. (A.O. 13/96) Their petition of December 13, 1788, praying for the continuance of their loyalist pension of 50 pounds, is in A.O. 13/120. One writer says of him that he had no superior, if an equal, in the Colonial Judiciary of North Carolina. Most historians have dealt unjustly with his memory. Although a loyalist, he seems to have acted from conscientious motives, and was highly respected by the legal profession, including those of the opposite political faith. There is a long account of him in the Publications of the Colonial Soc. of Mass., vi, 384-402. His second wife, Abigail was the daughter of Stephen Greenleaf (last Sheriff of Suffolk County, Massachusetts, under the Crown, whose portrait is in the possession of Miss Ellen S. Bulfinch), and died in 1801; her sister, Anstis, was the wife of Benjamin Davis (q.v.). He died in Chelsea (London), and was buried at St. Luke's Church. His daughter Anne, married Andrew Spooner (q.v) Chief Justice Howard's protrait, by Copley, hangs in the Social Law Library at Boston. (The Loyalists in Massachusetts Their Memorials, Petitions and Claims - E. Alfred Jones) Burial: St. Luke's Church1604,1605,1606
61. vii. HANNAH GREENLEAF, b. August 28, 1744; d. 1773.
45. MARY6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1610,1611 was born August 29, 1706 in Cambridge, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts1612,1613,1614, and died April 02, 1774 in Norwalk, Connecticut1615,1616,1617. She married (1) JAMES BLINN1624,1625 March 16, 1723/241626,1627. She married (2) JOSIAH THATCHER1618,1619. He was born July 07, 1701 in Yarmouth, Massachusetts1620,1621, and died August 22, 1780 in Norwalk, Connecticut1622,1623.
Children of MARY GREENLEAF and JOSIAH THACHER are:
i. ELIZABETH7 THATCHER
ii. DANIEL THATCHER
iii. HANNAH THATCHER
iv. STEPHEN GREENLEAF THATCHER
v. JOHN THATCHER1641,1642, b. 1742
46. ELIZABETH6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1645,1646 was born August 24, 1708 in Yarmouth, Massachusetts1647,1648,1649, and died May 15, 17781650,1651,1652. She married (1) JOSEPH PARSONS1653,1654. She married (2) JEDEDIAH JEWETT1655,1656. She married (3) DAVID BACON1657,1658 June 24, 17291659,1660. She married (4) JOSEPH SCOTT1661,1662 June 24, 17291663,1664,1665.
Child of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and DAVID BACON is:
i. HANNAH7 BACON1666,1667, b. July 1732
Children of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and JOSEPH SCOTT are:
ii. JOSEPH7 SCOTT1670,1671, b. March 11, 1741/42
iii. WILLIAM SCOTT1674,1675, b. May 17, 1743
iv. DAVID SCOTT1678,1679, b. August 23, 17441680,1681; d. March 11, 17801682,1683.
v. SUSANNA SCOTT1684,1685, b. May 22, 1747
vi. STEPHEN SCOTT1688,1689, b. April 18, 1749
47. JANE6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1692,1693 was born May 24, 1714 in Yarmouth, Massachusetts1694,1695,1696, and died December 10, 17641697,1698,1699. She married HEZEKIAH USHER1700,1701 March 01, 1731/321702,1703,1704. He was born 17051705,1706.
Children of JANE GREENLEAF and HEZEKIAH USHER are:
i. HEZEKIAH7 USHER1707,1708, b. 1734
ii. JOHN USHER1711,1712, b. 1736
iii. DANIEL USHER1715,1716, b. 1737
iv. JANE USHER1719,1720, b. 1738
v. ELIZABETH USHER1723,1724, b. 1739
vi. MARY USHER1727,1728, b. 1740
vii. ROBERT USHER1731,1732, b. 1742
viii. JAMES USHER1735,1736, b. July 18, 1747
48. JOHN6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1739,1740 was born November 08, 1717 in Yarmouth, Massachusetts1741,1742,1743, and died August 27, 1778 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts1744,1745,1746. He married (1) RUTH WALKER1747,1748 May 01, 17591749,1750. He married (2) ANN WROE1751,1752 July 15, 17641753,1754. She died May 27, 17861755,1756. He married (3) PRISCILLA BROWN1757,1758 December 08, 17431759,1760,1761.
Children of JOHN GREENLEAF and RUTH WALKER are:
i. JOHN7 GREENLEAF1762,1763, b. March 04, 17601764,1765.
ii. ISAAC GREENLEAF1766,1767, b. July 25, 17611768,1769.
Children of JOHN GREENLEAF and ANN WROE are:
iii. ELIZABETH7 GREENLEAF1770,1771, b. November 15, 17651772,1773; d. January 06, 18391774,1775.
62. iv. THOMAS GREENLEAF, b. May 15, 1767; d. January 04, 1854.
Children of JOHN GREENLEAF and PRISCILLA BROWN are:
v. GREENLEAF71776,1777, b. 1745.
vi. PRISCILLA GREENLEAF1780,1781, b. December 29, 1746.
vii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF1784,1785, b. July 11, 1748.
viii. JOHN GREENLEAF1788,1789, b. January 21, 1749/50.
ix. DANIEL GREENLEAF1792,1793, b. July 24, 1757.
49. WILLIAM6 GREENLEAF (DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1796,1797 was born January 10, 1724/251798,1799. He married MARY BROWN1800,1801.
Children of WILLIAM GREENLEAF and MARY BROWN are:
i. WILLIAM7 GREENLEAF1802,1803, b. February 05, 1760, Boston, Massachusetts1804,1805; d. November 24, 17781806,1807.
ii. JAMES GREENLEAF1808,1809, b. June 09, 17651810,1811.
iii. REBECCA GREENLEAF1812,1813, b. May 27, 17661814,1815; m. NOAH WEBSTER1816,1817; b. October 16, 1758, Hartford, Connecticut1818,1819.
iv. ANNA GREENLEAF1820,1821, b. June 03, 17721822,1823; m. WILLIAM CRANCH1824,1825.
Generation No. 7
50. ABIGAIL7 GREENLEAF (JOSEPH6, WILLIAM5, ENOCH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1826,1827 was born February 28, 17531828,1829. She married EZRA WELD1830,1831.
Children of ABIGAIL GREENLEAF and EZRA WELD are:
i. JOSEPH8 WELD1832,1833, b. July 14, 17841834,1835.
ii. THOMAS WELD1836,1837, b. January 22, 17851838,1839.
51. THOMAS7 GREENLEAF (JOSEPH6, WILLIAM5, ENOCH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1840,1841 was born 17551842,1843, and died 17981844,1845. He married ANNA QUACKENBOS1846,1847 October 13, 17911848,1849.
Children of THOMAS GREENLEAF and ANNA QUACKENBOS are:
63. i. JOSEPH8 GREENLEAF, b. August 13, 1792; d. June 06, 1871.
ii. CATHERINE GREENLEAF1850,1851, b. October 19, 17941852,1853; d. September 06, 1876.
iii. ABIGAIL GREENLEAF1856,1857, b. April 04, 17961858,1859; d. October 06, 18821860,1861; m. PRESERVED SMITH1862,1863.
iv. ANNA GREENLEAF1864,1865, b. June 17, 17981866,1867; d. June 10, 18831868,1869.
52. SARAH7 LONGFELLOW (MERCY6 CLARKE, HENRY5, ELIZABETH4 SOMERBY, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1870,1871 was born November 16, 17371872,1873. She married JOSEPH CILLEY1874,1875.
Child of SARAH LONGFELLOW and JOSEPH CILLEY is:
i. SARAH8 CILLEY1876,1877, m. THOMAS BARTLETT1878,1879.
53. NATHANIEL7 GOVE (EDWARD6, JUDITH5 SANBORN, JUDITH4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1) He married SUSANNA STICKNEY1882,1883.
Child of NATHANIEL GOVE and SUSANNA STICKNEY is:
64. i. ABIGAIL8 GOVE.
54. DANIEL7 AYER (SARAH6 LITTLE, DANIEL5, MARY4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1) He married SARAH ADAMS1886,1887.
Child of DANIEL AYER and SARAH ADAMS is:
65. i. SAMUEL8 AYER, b. December 13, 1777, Plaistow, New Hampshire; d. December 12, 1847, Haverhill, Massachusetts.
55. JOHN7 WHITTIER (SARAH6 GREENLEAF, NATHANIEL5, TRISTRAM4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1888,1889 was born 17601890,1891. He married ABIGAIL HUSSEY1892,1893 18041894,1895, daughter of SAMUEL HUSSEY and MERCY EVANS.
Child of JOHN WHITTIER and ABIGAIL HUSSEY is:
i. JOHN GREENLEAF8 WHITTIER1896,1897, b. 18071898,1899.
56. ELIZABETH7 GREENLEAF (DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1900,1901 was born October 30, 1729 in Hingham, Massachusetts1902,1903, and died 18281904,1905. She married PETER JOSLIN1906,1907 January 06, 1749/501908,1909, son of PETER JOSLIN and ALICE WOODS. He was born December 13, 1730 in Westboro, Massachusetts1910,1911, and died December 09, 1802 in Winchendon, Massachusetts1912,1913.
Children of ELIZABETH GREENLEAF and PETER JOSLIN are:
i. SUSANNAH8 JOSLIN1914,1915, m. JOSEPH HALL.
ii. NABBY JOSLIN.
iii. MARY JOSLIN.
iv. ANNA JOSLIN.
v. DOROTHY JOSLIN.
vi. PETER JOSLIN1926,1927, b. 1749.
vii. SILENCE JOSLIN1930,1931, b. 1749.
viii. DANIEL JOSLIN1934,1935, b. 1751.
ix. NATHANIEL JOSLIN1938,1939, b. 1753.
x. ESTHER JOSLIN1942,1943, b. 1753.
66. xi. ELIZABETH JOSLIN, b. July 08, 1753, Winchendon, Massachusetts; d. August 20, 1829, Winchendon, Massachusetts.
67. xii. ALICE JOSLIN, b. October 27, 1757, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts; d. July 05, 1828.
68. xiii. PETER JOSLIN, b. October 12, 1759, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts; d. December 12, 1837, Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire.
69. xiv. PERSIS JOSLIN, b. February 26, 1762, Shrewsbury, Massachusetts; d. 1829, Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire.
xv. SAMUEL JOSLIN1946,1947, b. August 02, 1766; d. September 23, 1847.
xvi. CALVIN JOSLIN1952,1953, b. 1768.
57. DANIEL7 GREENLEAF (DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1956,1957 was born September 02, 1732 in Hingham, Massachusetts1958,1959, and died January 18, 17771960,1961. He married ANNA BURRELL1962,1963 Abt. March 04, 1763 in England1964,1965.
Children of DANIEL GREENLEAF and ANNA BURRELL are:
i. DANIEL8 GREENLEAF.
ii. SILENCE GREENLEAF.
iii. ELEANOR GREENLEAF.
58. ISRAEL7 GREENLEAF (DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)1972,1973 was born March 29, 1734 in Bolton, Massachusetts1974,1975, and died March 04, 1824 in New York1976,1977. He married (1) PRUDENCE WHITCOMB1978,1979 November 28, 17541980,1981. She died September 15, 17841982,1983. He married (2) URSULA WOODS1984,1985 March 10, 17851986,1987. She was born February 24, 17631988,1989, and died June 22, 18441990,1991.
Children of ISRAEL GREENLEAF and PRUDENCE WHITCOMB
i. DANIEL8 GREENLEAF1992,1993, b. May 06, 17561994,1995; d. July 22, 1774.
70. ii. BETSEY GREENLEAF, b. March 16, 1758, Bolton, Massachusetts.
iii. JOHN GREENLEAF1998,1999, b. 1760.
iv. DAVID GREENLEAF2002,2003, b. 1763.
v. ISRAEL GREENLEAF2006,2007, b. 17652008,2009; m. SALLY HOADLEY.
vi. LEVI GREENLEAF2012,2013, b. 1767.
vii. SARAH GREENLEAF2016,2017, b. April 20, 17692018,2019; d. December 02, 1800.
viii. TILLY GREENLEAF2022,2023, b. 1770.
ix. REBECCA GREENLEAF2026,2027, b. August 10, 1771.
x. SILAS GREENLEAF2030,2031, b. September 30, 1772
xi. OLIVER GREENLEAF2034,2035, b. October 18, 1773.
xii. OLIVER GREENLEAF2038,2039, b. March 31, 1775.
xiii. JOSHUA GREENLEAF2042,2043, b. 17762044,2045; m. DENCY HOLLISTER.
xiv. PRUDENCE GREENLEAF2048,2049, b. 1778.
Children of ISRAEL GREENLEAF and URSULA WOODS are:
71. xv. ESTHER8 GREENLEAF, b. New York; d. August 08, 1878.
xvi. DANIEL GREENLEAF2052,2053, b. January 01, 1786, Bolton, Massachusetts2054,2055; d. August 20, 1812, Mississippi2056,2057; m. BETSEY.
xvii. ISAIAH PARKER GREENLEAF2060,2061, b. 17882062,2063; m. PATTY WILLIAMS.
xviii. STEPHEN GREENLEAF2066,2067, b. 1790.
xix. POLLY GREENLEAF2070,2071, b. August 22, 17922072,2073; d. March 09, 1877.
xx. WILLIAM GREENLEAF2076,2077, b. 17952078,2079; m. BETHIA COLE.
xxi. JOSEPH GREENLEAF2082,2083, b. 17992084,2085; m. ELECTA COATES.
72. xxii. LOIS C. GREENLEAF, b. October 08, 1801; d. December 26, 1875.
59. STEPHEN7 GREENLEAF (DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2088,2089 was born October 15, 1735 in Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts2090,2091, and died June 08, 1802 in Brattleboro, Vermont2092,2093. He married EUNICE FAIRBANKS2094,2095 January 11, 1758 in Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts2096,2097, daughter of JABEZ FAIRBANKS and HEPZIBAH SAWYER. She was born 1739 in Bolton, Worcester Co., Massachusetts2098,2099, and died March 08, 1826. Patriot, town clerk 1776-17832102,2103
Children of STEPHEN GREENLEAF and EUNICE FAIRBANKS
i. STEPHEN8 GREENLEAF2104,2105, b. 1759.
73. ii. EUNICE GREENLEAF, b. August 19, 1761; d. September 05, 1839.
74. iii. DANIEL GREENLEAF, b. 1764.
iv. SAMUEL GREENLEAF2108,2109, b. 17652110,2111; m. RHODA LOUISE KNIGHT.
75. v. SUSANNA GREENLEAF, b. November 19, 1767; d. January 15, 1847.
76. vi. JAMES GREENLEAF, b. 1770.
vii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF2114,2115, b. June 18, 17742116,2117; d. March 25, 1847, Watertown, New York.
77. viii. CHRISTOPHER GREENLEAF, b. 1776.
ix. JOSEPH GREENLEAF2120,2121, b. 1779.
x. POLLY GREENLEAF2124,2125, b. March 01, 17812126,2127; d. November 03, 1822.
xi. THOMAS LEE GREENLEAF2130,2131, b. 1783.
60. MARY7 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN6, DANIEL5,
STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2134,2135,2136,2137
was born November 20, 1732 of Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts2138,2139,2140,2141,
and died Abt. 1820 in Bath, England2142,2143,2144.
She married ADMIRAL DAVID PHIPPS2145,2146,2147
September 13, 1753 in Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts2148,2149,2150,2151,2152,
son of SPENCER PHIPPS and ELIZABETH HUTCHINSON.
He was born September 25, 1724 in Cambridge, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts2153,2154,2155,2156,
and died July 07, 1811 in Bath, Gloucestershire, England2157,2158,2159,2160.
Phipps pages for more information on this family.
61. HANNAH7 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2233,2234,2235 was born August 28, 17442236,2237,2238,2239, and died 17732240,2241,2242. She married JOHN ALTHORP2243,2244,2245 December 12, 17652246,2247,2248, son of CHARLES ALTHORP and GRIZZELL EASTWICKE. He was born August 25, 17302249,2250,2251, and died 1773 of Boston, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts2252,2253,2254. John Apthrop, a merchant of Boston, and was lost with her husband, in a storm at sea, in the autumn of 1773, when going from New York to Charleston, S. C., on account of Mr. Apthrop's health
Children of HANNAH GREENLEAF and JOHN ALTHORP are:
i. JOHN TRECOTHICK8 ALTHORP2258,2259.
ii. HANNAH ALTHORP2260,2261, m. CHARLES BULLFINCH2262,2263, 17882264,2265; b. August 08, 1763, Boston, Massachusetts2266,2267; d. April 04, 1844, Boston, Massachusetts2268,2269.
iii. FRANCES ALTHORP2270,2271, m. CHARLES VAUGHAN2272,2273.
62. THOMAS7 GREENLEAF (JOHN6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2274,2275 was born May 15, 17672276,2277, and died January 04, 18542278,2279. He married MARY DENNING PRICE2280,2281 April 19, 17872282,2283, daughter of EZEKIEL PRICE and RUTH AVERY. She was born Abt. 17672284,2285, and died February 21, 18552286,2287.
Children of THOMAS GREENLEAF and MARY PRICE are:
i. EZEKIEL PRICE8 GREENLEAF2288,2289, b. May 22, 1790, Boston, Massachusetts2290,2291; d. December 04, 1886, Boston, Massachusetts2292,2293.
ii. ELIZABETH GREENLEAF2294,2295, b. July 19, 17942296,2297; d. August 18852298,2299; m. WILLIAM GREENLEAF APPLETON2300,2301, February 19, 18352302,2303; d. May 30, 1864, Brookline, Massachusetts2304,2305.
iii. MARY ANN WROE GREENLEAF2306,2307, b. April 19, 17962308,2309; m. EBENEZER WOODWARD2310,2311, November 18372312,2313; b. March 12, 1798, Cambridgeport2314,2315.
Generation No. 8
63. JOSEPH8 GREENLEAF (THOMAS7, JOSEPH6, WILLIAM5, ENOCH4, ENOCH3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2316,2317 was born August 13, 17922318,2319, and died June 06, 18712320,2321. He married EMELINE MATILDA RILEY2322,2323, daughter of JOSEPH RILEY and ANN VAN BERGEN. She was born January 15, 17962324,2325, and died June 02, 18462326,2327.
Children of JOSEPH GREENLEAF and EMELINE RILEY are:
i. GREENLEAF92328,2329, b. July 30, 1821.
78. ii. THOMAS GREENLEAF, b. July 30, 1826.
79. iii. ANNA GREENLEAF, b. September 1828; d. 1872.
iv. EMELINE MATILDA GREENLEAF2332,2333, b. October 04, 1830.
v. JOSEPH GREENLEAF2336,2337, b. January 11, 18362338,2339; d. November 19, 1838.
80. vi. JOSEPH GREENLEAF, b. November 09, 1838; d. 1889.
64. ABIGAIL8 GOVE (NATHANIEL7, EDWARD6, JUDITH5 SANBORN, JUDITH4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1) She married WILLIAM CHASE2344,2345.
Child of ABIGAIL GOVE and WILLIAM CHASE is:
81. i. POLLY9 CHASE, b. August 15, 1784, Haverhill, Massachusetts; d. August 1854, Kenosha, Wisconsin.
65. SAMUEL8 AYER (DANIEL7, SARAH6 LITTLE, DANIEL5, MARY4 COFFIN, JUDITH3 GREENLEAF, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2346,2347 was born December 13, 1777 in Plaistow, New Hampshire2348,2349, and died December 12, 1847 in Haverhill, Massachusetts2350,2351. He married POLLY CHASE2352,2353 November 28, 1805 in Haverhill, Massachusetts2354,2355, daughter of WILLIAM CHASE and ABIGAIL GOVE. She was born August 15, 1784 in Haverhill, Massachusetts2356,2357, and died August 1854 in Kenosha, Wisconsin2358,2359.
Child of SAMUEL AYER and POLLY CHASE is:
82. i. JOHN VARNUM9 AYER, b. January 03, 1812, Haverhill, Massachusetts; d. Abt. 1877, Chicago, Illinois.
66. ELIZABETH8 JOSLIN (ELIZABETH7 GREENLEAF, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2360,2361 was born July 08, 1753 in Winchendon, Massachusetts2362,2363, and died August 20, 1829 in Winchendon, Massachusetts2364,2365. She married JOHN DAY2366,2367 January 10, 1771 in Winchendon, Massachusetts2368,2369, son of RICHARD DAY and RUTH PUSHEE. He was born August 31, 1749 in Groton, Massachusetts2370,2371, and died August 17, 1827 in Winchendon, Massachusetts2372,2373.
Child of ELIZABETH JOSLIN and JOHN DAY is:
83. i. HANNAH9 DAY, b. December 29, 1779, Winchendon, Massachusetts; d. August 29, 1869, Marshfield, Vermont.
67. ALICE8 JOSLIN (ELIZABETH7 GREENLEAF, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2374,2375 was born October 27, 1757 in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts2376,2377, and died July 05, 18282378,2379. She married AMOS RAYMOND2380,2381 December 09, 1779 in Winchendon, Massachusetts2382,2383, son of WILLIAM RAYMOND and MARCY DAVIS. He was born March 23, 1757 in Holden, Massachusetts2384,2385, and died in Raymond, Pennsylvania2386,2387.
Children of ALICE JOSLIN and AMOS RAYMOND are:
i. ALICE9 RAYMOND2388,2389, m. ABRAHAM JACKSON.
ii. AMOS RAYMOND2392,2393, m. ASENITH JACKSON.
iii. WILLIAM GREENLEAF RAYMOND2396,2397, m. BETSY FREELAND.
iv. OLIVE RAYMOND.
v. ASENATH RAYMOND.
84. vi. BETSY RAYMOND, b. 1784.
vii. PERSIS RAYMOND2404,2405, b. 17882406,2407; d. 1814.
viii. MARY RAYMOND2410,2411, b. 17892412,2413; m. DAVID BALLOU.
ix. DANIEL RAYMOND2416,2417, b. 17932418,2419; m. AMANDA FREELAND.
x. ASAHEL RAYMOND2422,2423, b. 18082424,2425; m. (1) ELECTA CURTIS; m. (2) SYLVIA MINER.
68. PETER8 JOSLIN (ELIZABETH7 GREENLEAF, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2430,2431 was born October 12, 1759 in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts2432,2433, and died December 12, 1837 in Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire2434,2435. He married SARAH KIDDER2436,2437 June 01, 1786 in Winchendon, Massachusetts2438,2439, daughter of BENJAMIN KIDDER and RUTH HEYWOOD. She was born August 30, 1764 in Leominster, Massachusetts2440,2441, and died February 17, 1848 in Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire2442,2443.
Children of PETER JOSLIN and SARAH KIDDER are:
i. SALLY9 JOSLIN2444,2445, b. March 24, 1787, Winchendon, Massachusetts2446,2447; d. February 27, 1795, Winchendon, Massachusetts2448,2449; m. CYRUS FIELD2450,2451; b. November 20, 1789.
ii. BETSEY JOSLIN2454,2455, b. January 01, 1789, Winchendon, Massachusetts2456,2457; d. December 24, 1858, Charles City, Iowa2458,2459; m. JOSIAH KNIGHT.
iii. JOHN JOSLIN2462,2463, b. September 24, 1792, Winchendon, Massachusetts2464,2465; d. February 09, 1795, Winchendon, Massachusetts2466,2467.
iv. POLLY JOSLIN2468,2469, b. August 10, 1794, Winchendon, Massachusetts2470,2471; d. July 07, 1874, Rockford, Illinois2472,2473; m. CYRUS FIELD2474,2475; b. November 20, 17892476,2477.
v. SARAH JOSLIN2478,2479, b. August 15, 1796, Winchendon, Massachusetts2480,2481; d. January 05, 1858, Rockingham, Vermont2482,2483; m. WILLIAM THAYER.
vi. PERSIS JOSLIN2486,2487, b. September 23, 1798, Winchendon, Massachusetts2488,2489; d. June 17, 1826, Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire2490,2491; m. JONATHAN HARVEY.
85. vii. PETER JOSLIN, b. November 24, 1799, Winchendon, Massachusetts; d. October 11, 1869, Nichols, New York.
86. viii. JOHN JOSLIN, b. June 12, 1800, Walpole, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire; d. May 26, 1875, Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire.
ix. LUKE JOSLIN2494,2495, b. May 10, 1802, Walpole, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire2496,2497; d. June 15, 1869, Rockford, Illinois.
87. x. GEORGE JOSLIN, b. July 05, 1804, Walpole, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire; d. September 28, 1877, Walpole, Cheshire Co., Massachusetts.
88. xi. CAROLINE JOSLIN, b. December 08, 1806, Walpole, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire; d. November 22, 1865, Boston, Massachusetts.
69. PERSIS8 JOSLIN (ELIZABETH7 GREENLEAF, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2500,2501 was born February 26, 1762 in Shrewsbury, Massachusetts2502,2503, and died 1829 in Surry, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire2504,2505. She married PHILLIPS SWEETSER2506,2507 May 29, 17852508,2509. He was born April 27, 1760 in Leominster, Massachusetts2510,2511, and died February 15, 1834 in Marlborough, New Hampshire2512,2513.
Children of PERSIS JOSLIN and PHILLIPS SWEETSER are:
i. MARY9 SWEETSER.
ii. SARAH SWEETSER.
iii. ESTHER SWEETSER2518,2519, b. September 20, 17862520,2521; d. December 1826, Westmoreland, New Hampshire.
iv. LUKE SWEETSER2524,2525, b. Abt. 1788, Royalston, Massachusetts2526,2527; d. July 17, 1850, Jaffrey, Cheshire Co., New Hampshire.
v. PHILLIPS SWEETSER2530,2531, b. Abt. 1790, Royalston, Massachusetts.
vi. FANNIE SWEETSER2534,2535, b. February 11, 17942536,2537; d. December 26, 1875, Providence, Rhode Island.
vii. PERSIS SWEETSER2540,2541, b. September 16, 17992542,2543; d. August 14, 1851, Marlborough, New Hampshire.
70. BETSEY8 GREENLEAF (ISRAEL7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2546,2547 was born March 16, 1758 in Bolton, Massachusetts2548,2549. She married DANIEL LEWIS2550,2551 1770.
Children of BETSEY GREENLEAF and DANIEL LEWIS are:
i. BETSEY9 LEWIS.
ii. SALLY LEWIS.
iii. ISRAEL LEWIS.
iv. RODNEY LEWIS.
v. EUNICE LEWIS.
vi. PHEBE LEWIS.
vii. LOUISA LEWIS.
71. ESTHER8 GREENLEAF (ISRAEL7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2568,2569 was born in New York2570,2571, and died August 08, 18782572,2573. She married CHAUNCY BAKER2574,2575. He was born April 17, 17932576,2577.
Children of ESTHER GREENLEAF and CHAUNCY BAKER are:
i. LOVILLE E.9 BAKER2578,2579, b. May 09, 18212580,2581; d. 18562582,2583; m. HIRAM J. SAWYER2584,2585, March 24, 18432586,2587; d. April 03, 1864.
ii. DAVID C. BAKER2590,2591, b. December 22, 18222592,2593; d. July 22, 18632594,2595.
iii. LUCY FIDELIA BAKER2596,2597, b. October 08, 18252598,2599; d. August 12, 18552600,2601; m. ROYAL S. WILLIAMS2602,2603, October 09, 1844.
iv. POLLY W. BAKER2606,2607, b. May 26, 18272608,2609; d. October 11, 18272610,2611.
v. SIDNEY DEVILLO BAKER2612,2613, b. September 22, 18282614,2615; d. June 23, 1849.
vi. HARRIET BAKER2618,2619, b. March 08, 18312620,2621; d. March 03, 1857.
vii. SYLVIA CORNELIA JENNIE BAKER2624,2625, b. November 20, 18332626,2627; m. W. G. WHITNEY2628,2629, January 25, 1868.
viii. MARY M. BAKER2632,2633, b. February 01, 18362634,2635; d. October 08, 1839.
ix. ROSILLA B. BAKER2638,2639, b. March 15, 18392640,2641; d. March 15, 1839.
x. ROSE M. BAKER2644,2645, b. April 09, 18412646,2647; d. May 20, 1841.
72. LOIS C.8 GREENLEAF (ISRAEL7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2650,2651 was born October 08, 18012652,2653, and died December 26, 18752654,2655. She married WILLARD ALVERSON2656,2657 February 13, 18202658,2659. He was born January 26, 17962660,2661, and died January 10, 1882.
Children of LOIS GREENLEAF and WILLARD ALVERSON are:
i. ISRAEL GREENLEAF9 ALVERSON2664,2665, b. November 05, 18212666,2667; d. November 18252668,2669.
ii. STEPHEN GREENLEAF ALVERSON2670,2671, b. May 18, 18252672,2673; d. October 29, 18262674,2675.
iii. WILLARD NELSON ALVERSON2676,2677, b. March 11, 18282678,2679; m. ELIZABETH ANN LEA2680,2681, December 08, 18562682,2683.
iv. WILLIAM WALLACE ALVERSON2684,2685, b. June 12, 18312686,2687; m. MELISSA ELVIRA FILLMORE2688,2689, December 15, 18552690,2691.
v. KNIGHT DEXTER ALVERSON2692,2693, b. April 13, 18332694,2695; d. January 21, 18922696,2697; m. LUCINDA FILLMORE2698,2699, September 18512700,2701.
vi. LUCY URSULA ALVERSON2702,2703, b. January 28, 18392704,2705; d. July 16, 18702706,2707; m. FREDERICK MCCOMBER2708,2709, December 15, 18552710,2711.
vii. ELIZA LOUISA ALVERSON2712,2713, b. January 28, 18392714,2715; d. January 29, 18392716,2717.
73. EUNICE8 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2718,2719 was born August 19, 17612720,2721, and died September 05, 18392722,2723. She married GEORGE DICKSON2724,2725 May 04, 17802726,2727. He died September 05, 18382728,2729.
Children of EUNICE GREENLEAF and GEORGE DICKSON are:
i. GEORGE9 DICKSON2730,2731, b. May 04, 17812732,2733; d. 18552734,2735; m. ALICE HOXIE2736,2737, 1810.
ii. EUNICE DICKSON2740,2741, b. August 14, 17832742,2743; d. 18532744,2745; m. APOLLOS A. NOBLE.
iii. SUSANNA DICKSON2748,2749, b. September 03, 17852750,2751; m. ISAAC HUMASTON.
iv. JOHN MARTIN DICKSON2754,2755, b. February 06, 17882756,2757; d. 18522758,2759; m. ANNA BROWN.
v. ELIZABETH DICKSON2762,2763, b. May 04, 17902764,2765; m. JOHN DOOLITTLE2766,2767, 1812.
vi. STEPHEN GREENLEAF DICKSON2770,2771, b. April 13, 17922772,2773; m. DULCY SAGE2774,2775, 1826.
vii. WILLIAM DICKSON2778,2779, b. April 08, 17952780,2781; d. 1795.
viii. NANCY DICKSON2784,2785, b. August 04, 17962786,2787; d. 1803.
ix. DAVID DICKSON2790,2791, b. February 27, 18012792,2793; m. LAURA WATROUS2794,2795, 1824.
x. SAMUEL DICKSON2798,2799, b. March 16, 18062800,2801; m. ELIZA SHIFFER2802,2803, 1831.
74. DANIEL8 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2806,2807 was born 17642808,2809. He married HULDAH HOPKINS.
Child of DANIEL GREENLEAF and HULDAH HOPKINS is:
i. JEREMIAH9 GREENLEAF2812,2813, b. December 07, 17912814,2815; d. April 04, 18642816,2817; m. ELVIRA EUNICE STEVENS2818,2819; b. February 19, 18092820,2821; d. March 30, 18742822,2823.
75. SUSANNA8 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2824,2825 was born November 19, 17672826,2827, and died January 15, 18472828,2829. She married SIMON STEVENS2830,2831.
Children of SUSANNA GREENLEAF and SIMON STEVENS are:
i. GREENLEAF9 STEVENS.
89. ii. ELIZA ALMEDA STEVENS, b. August 22, 1806; d. July 1882.
iii. ELVIRA EUNICE STEVENS2834,2835, b. February 19, 18092836,2837; d. March 30, 18742838,2839; m. JEREMIAH GREENLEAF2840,2841; b. December 07, 17912842,2843; d. April 04, 1864.
76. JAMES8 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2846,2847 was born 17702848,2849. He married SARAH BULLOCK.
Child of JAMES GREENLEAF and SARAH BULLOCK is:
i. WILLIAM FAIRBANKS9 GREENLEAF2852,2853, m. ABIGAIL WARD.
77. CHRISTOPHER8 GREENLEAF (STEPHEN7, DANIEL6, DANIEL5, STEPHEN4, STEPHEN3, EDMUND2, JOHN1)2856,2857 was born 17762858,2859. He married TABITHA DICKINSON2860,2861, daughter of JOHN DICKINSON and LOIS BIGELOW.
Child of CHRISTOPHER GREENLEAF and TABITHA DICKINSON
i. JOHN D.9 GREENLEAF2862,2863, m. JULIA TRUESDALE2864,2865.
A WORK IN PROGRESS!
If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids