Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Bickford Jr., owners of Hathaway
Farm in Solon, will be one of four New York State families to be honored
by Gov. Rockefeller as Century Farmers at the annual meeting of the New
York State Agricultuarl Society in Albany Jan. 12. The Bickfords are one
of 19 families in Cortland County who are operating a farm that has been
in the family for 100 years or more. Bud, his wife Mary and their three
children, Melissa, Cindy and Blake, are shown in the milk house, part of
a modern pipeline milker system recently installed on the farm. Bickford's
Hatheway Farm, Solon, Designated One of 'Century Farms' Hatheway Farms
in Solon owned by Mr. and Mrs. Edwin B. Bickford Jr., has been designated
by Gov. Rockefeller as one of four Century Farms in New York State. The
Bickfords will be honored as a Century Farm Family at the annual meeting
of the New York State Agricultual Society Jan. 12 in Albany.
Hatheway Farm is one of 19 farms in the county recognized
recently by the Cortland County Extension Service for progressive farming
during more than 100 years in the same family. In a letter to the 19th
Century Farmers in Cortland County, Ralph Butler, chairman of the local
committee states, "The awarding of a Century Farm citation is a way of
not only recognizing one selected farm family for this great honor, but
also the several farm families of a county. These are farm families who
have outstanding distinction of having maintained and operated a progressive
farm for over a century within the same family. "As Mr. and Mrs. E.B. Bickford
Jr. and family accept the award in Albany, they do so with deserving personal
honor for their own achievements and also in recognition of the several
other Century Farms of Cortland County.".....
The Hatheway Farm of 667 acres originated in 1809
with the purchase of 25 acres by Samuel Gilbert Hatheway, great, great,
great grandfather of the present owner. Hatheway was one of 11 children
of a Revolutionary War soldier who died after the battle of Long Island.
One of his sisters, with her husband, drove the first buggy into Wisconsin
with a flock of sheep and a few cows driven ahead. He became a major general
in the New York State Militia and trained his troops on the field across
the road from the stone mansion. General Hatheway named the town of Freetown
after his birthplace Freetown, Mass., and the first house on the homestead
was built in New England fashion with house and barns connected. The original
farm burned and the next house was constructed of stone from nearby Quarry
The farm has descended through Wealthea Hatheway Boyd,
Helen Boyd Turner, Sara Turner Bickford and Edwin Bickford Sr. to Edwin
Blake Bickford Jr. The Bickfords have 50 milking cows on the dairy farm,
which has been modernized progressively through the years. A year ago the
size of the barn was increased and recently a pipeline milker was installed.
The size of the herd is being expanded to 60 milkers.
One of the criteria used in selecting the Century
Farm Family is its contribution to the community. Bickford is active in
McGraw and Solon as an assessor and councilman for the Town of Solon, president
of McGraw School Board, director of the McGraw Library Board, and member
and trustee of the McGraw Presbyterian Church. A graduate of Cortland State
Teachers College, he also has served as chairman of the board of directors
of Agway Feed Store in McGraw, secretary and director of Cortland Bulk
Milk Producers Cooperative, president of Eastern Milk Producers, director
of DHIC and vice president of the Farm Bureau. He was named Cortland County's
Outstanding Young Farmer in 1957-58. (Cortland Standard Cortland, NY, Tuesday
Evening, January 4, 1966)
Mrs. E.B. Bickford
Modern and Antique Household Furniture
Wednesday, August 15
Starting at 10 AM sharp and continuing until all is sold.
At the old General Hathaway Homestead, located in
the village of Solon on Route 41, 8 miles east of Cortland
Selling the contents of this 25 room mansion, the majority
of the items are in furniture with some glass, china, copper, etc. to wit:
8 slat backed stencil chairs, serveral sets and pairs of other chairs,
whatnot, Victorian secretary, 6 bar room chairs, low drop leaf cherry tea
table, stands of various types and sizes, children's chairs, round top
drop leaf table, 5 marble top tables, 2 cherry night stands, cobblers bench,
Rosewood settee, 2 Lincoln rockers, Cape Cod brass fire lighter, 2 mahogany
fiddle back chairs, arrow back rocker, several sets of cane seated chairs,
1-2 passenger, 2-3 passenger and 2-4 passenger sofas, marble top walnut
dresser, 4 poster cord bed, complete Rosewood bedroom suite with marble
top dresser, complete Victorian bed with marble top dresser, pine chest,
cherry chest of drawers, mahogany bedroom suite, 2 spool beds, 2 mahogany
dressers with marble tops, brass pail, coffee grinder, Majalica pieces,
milk glass, mirrors, picture frames, many, many other items. To prospective
buyers, bear in mind that 95% of the above listed are in excellent condition
and ready to go into your home.
Also selling a complete line of modern household utensils
Sale to be conducted under Tent. Lunch available.
Terms; Cash Day of Sale
Frank K. Taylor, Auctioneer.
Mrs. E.B. Bickford, Owner.
Hathaway House Added to National Historic Register
by Shirley Heppell
Cortland County Historian
Solon - Tinelli's Hathaway House in Solon has recently
been added to the distinguished National Register of Historic Places. This
honorary recognition is awarded to properties throughout the United States
that are worth preserving because of their historic and architectural significance.
Built in 1844 by Samuel G. Hathaway, this house in
Solon's then sylvansetting replaced an earlier frame family residence located
at the northwest corner of Lapp Road and Rt. 41 which had burned. According
to family tradition, Hathaway was his own architect, and some researchers
allege that George Cole, a Cincinnatus builder, had a hand in construction.
This imposing 2 1/2 story Greek Revivial style house
is constructed of field stone said to have come from nearby Trout Brook,
while the stone of the wing is said to be from Quarry Brook north of the
site and 'sledded down by oxen'. House walls two feet thick were planked
on the inside and covered with plaster. All wood used for the interior
- ash for the wing - came from the Hathaway property.
As a rural manor house, it has no equal in Cortland
County. In size, materials and style only the homes of the wealthiest merchants
in Cortland and Homer Villages rivaled this mansion. Today most of these
residences have either disappeared or have been visibly altered, while
Hathaway House still retains the integrity of the original house both inside
and out despite recent additions.
The structure reflects a conservative building style
with which Hathaway, a Massachusetts native, was undoubtedly familiar.
At the same time it mirrors the classical fashion of the day. The block
form of the main section, a three part entablature at the roof line, the
Ionic columned entrance porticos that repeat the roof etablature and the
frieze windows on the north side of the main section are all features common
to the Greek Revival style.
Just as the exterior has not been altered, neither
has the interior. Though (sic) careful stewardship by the Hathaway family
for 115 years and by subsequent owners, the interior has retained, with
an almost pristine look, its Greek Revival Characteristics. The mansions
story is that of a 19th century residence "gay and hospitable", where reputedly
Presidents Pierce and Buchanan were entertained. It served also as an administrative
center for several thousand acres of land which General Hathaway owned
largely in the Town of Solon.
Much has already been written about the patrician-featured
Samuel G. Hathaway of distinguished lineage. At age 9 he began making his
own way in the world. After a stint at sea he headed west into New York
State, settling first in Chenango County about 1803, then moving to Lot
2 Cincinnatus, now Freetown. Shortly thereafter, he married Sally Emerson
of Solon and moved to that town in 1819. Politically he was an ardent Democrat
who prided himself on having first voted for Thomas Jefferson. Like Jefferson,
he was a man of varied interests and accomplishments. Always the agrarian,
he also enjoyed the political arena, in which he served as advisor and
participant. After representing
Cortland County in the New York State Assembly in
1814 and 1818, he was elected to the State Senate and finally to Congress
in 1832. He was chosen elector for Franklin Pierce in 1852. On the loal
(sic) level he was elected Justice of the Peace for 48 years and he married,
buried and settled disputes among his neighbors with whom his word carried
great authority. In the New York State Militia he rose through the ranks
to be commissioned Major-General and is known to have drilled his troops
in the field across from the house on the south side to the present Route
41. Influences of this romantic personality and his equally colorful family
still pervade the charming manor house in its quiet environment at Solon's
Thanks Karen for this and other pictures and information!
Back to Phipps Family Pages
A WORK IN PROGRESS!
If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail me at email@example.com
This page created with Netscape Navigator Gold