Generation No. 1
1. JONATHAN1 BALLARD1, of Andover, Essex Co., Massachusetts2. He married HANNAH KIDDER3. She died Aft. 17754. Ancestry of Jonathan Ballard; After living in Newbury, MA, William Ballard moved to Andover. "William Ballard was one of the first settlers to whom houselots were given prior to 1662. Like the majority, he received 5 acres, whereas Simon Bradstreet, John Osgood and Nicholas Holt received 20, 20 and 15 acres respectively...
The area of the town where Joseph and John Ballard, sons of William, had their grist and fulling mills became known as Ballard Vale, and later, in the 19th century, the Marland family and others would establish a business for the manufacture of flannels, calling it the Ballard Vale Manufacturing Company.
We are more interested in the youngest son John, as he is the grandfather of Martha Ballard's husband. However, the older brother, Joseph, who ran the fulling mill with John must be mentioned too in connection with the witchcraft hysteria that spread from Salem to Andover in 1692. John Ballard was the constable who on 3 May 1692 served a warrant for the arrest of Martha Currier. She was the first woman of Andover to be accused of witchcraft. That summer Joseph Ballard sent (a deputy) to Salem Village to fetch Ann Putnam to try to determine the cause of his wife's illness. He later accused Mary Lacey and her 15 year old daughter Mary of causing his wife Elizabeth's "strange pains and pressures"...
Only 23 years later, John Ballard's family was to be almost decimated by what disease we know not. Between 27 November and 9 December 1715, he lost his wife and three daughters, and on 18 December he too died. He was 62, his wife, three years younger. His daughters were 16, 19 and 22. His son Jonathan soon left Andover for Billerica and later for Oxford, where, like his father and grandfather he had a mill which would be passed on to his son Ephraim. Later Ephraim and his wife Martha would move to Maine, where he would continue the family tradition of farmer-mill owner. There Martha would start the diary which so interests us today.
The year John Ballard served the warrant on Martha Currier and his brother Joseph accused the Lacey's, the Townes of Topsfield and Salem Village lost two family members - Mary Town Esty and Rebecca Towne Nurse, both hanged as witches. Two generations later a Ballard would marry a Towne (Hannah Ballard, sister of Ephraim married Thomas Towne) and in the following generation Ephraim and Martha's daughter Lucy Ballard would marry the son of Thomas and Hannah (Ballard) Towne. Such are the intricacies of genealogy!" (About Towne, Volume XVIII, No. 2 June 1998)
Children of JONATHAN BALLARD and HANNAH KIDDER are:
2. i. EPHRAIM2 BALLARD, b. Abt. 1725; d. 1821, of Hallowell, York Co., Maine.
3. ii. HANNAH BALLARD, b. February 28, 1725/26; d. Gardiner, Maine?.
iii. JONATHAN BALLARD 1777, accused of being inimical to the rights an liberties of the U.S. - case dropped4
Generation No. 2
2. EPHRAIM2 BALLARD (JONATHAN1) was born Abt. 17254, and died 1821 of Hallowell, York Co., Maine4. He married MARTHA MOORE5 1754 in Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts6, daughter of ELIJAH MOORE and DOROTHY LEARNED. She was born 1735 in Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts6, and died 1812 in Hallowell, York Co., Maine.
West side of Town's Pond. November 6, 1764, Ephraim Ballard to Stephen Pratt; November 7, 1780, Stephen Pratt of Charlton to brother Jonas Pratt Jr. Before 1794 Thomas Russell bought the place. (History of Oxford page 333) Bef. 1775, with bro. Jonathan, Thomas Towne, Ebenezer Moore, Stephen Barton, to Maine7 Occupation: surveyor, sawyer8 MARTHA: occupation: midwife8
Children of EPHRAIM BALLARD and MARTHA MOORE are:
i. CYRUS3 BALLARD, b. Abt. 1756, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8.
4. ii. LUCY BALLARD, b. August 28, 1758, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts; d. November 08, 1798, Winslow, Maine.
iii. MARTHA BALLARD, b. April 1761, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8; d. July 05, 1769, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8.
5. iv. JONATHAN BALLARD, b. 1763; d. 1838, of Hallowell, York Co., Maine.
v. TRIPHENE BALLARD, b. March 1765, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8; d. June 17, 1769, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8. Cause of Death: diptheria8
vi. DOROTHY BALLARD, b. 1767, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8; d. July 01, 1769, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts8. Cause of Death: diptheria8
vii. HANNAH BALLARD, b. August 06, 17698; m. POLLARD.
6. viii. DOROTHY BALLARD, b. 1771; d. 1861, of Hallowell, York Co., Maine.
ix. EPHRAIM BALLARD, b. 1779, Hallowell, York Co., Maine8.
3. HANNAH2 BALLARD (JONATHAN1)9 was born February 28, 1725/269, and died in Gardiner, Maine?9. She married ENSIGN THOMAS TOWNE9 February 13, 1751/52 in Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts9, son of JOHN TOWNE and LYDIA HUNKINS. He was born May 26, 1729 in Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts10,11, and died Aft. 1763 in Gardiner, Maine? of Hallowell, York Co., Maine12,13.See Towne pages for descendant information.
Children of HANNAH BALLARD and THOMAS TOWNE are:
i. SHEREBIAH3 TOWNE15, b. October 09, 1752, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts15; d. 1790, of Hallowell, Maine - never married16. September 1790, will probated, property left for maintenance of school at Freetown, Maine17
7. ii. EPHRAIM TOWNE, b. August 23, 1754, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts; d. May 20, 1837, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine.
iii. EDWARD TOWNE17, b. September 12, 1756, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts17; m. NANCY MACDOUGALL17, Abt. 1794, Argyle, Washington Co., New York17. 10 children17
iv. SOLOMON TOWNE17, b. July 28, 1758, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts17.
v. HANNAH TOWNE17, b. June 26, 1762, Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts17; m. ROBERT MCCAUSLAND17.
vi. ELIZABETH TOWNE17, b. August 27, 176617; m. LUKE BARTON17.
Generation No. 3
4. LUCY3 BALLARD (EPHRAIM2, JONATHAN1)17 was born August 28, 1758 in Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts18, and died November 08, 1798 in Winslow, Maine18. She married EPHRAIM TOWNE19 1778 in Hallowell, Maine20, son of THOMAS TOWNE and HANNAH BALLARD. He was born August 23, 1754 in Oxford, Worcester Co., Massachusetts21, and died May 20, 1837 in Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine22. EPHRAIM TOWNE: Bef. 1778, tenant of John Jones of Hallowell, Maine before marriage22 1784, to Winslow, Maine (upriver on flat boat, furniture on wharf overnight)22 1790, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine23 Town offices: deputy sheriff, justice of peace many years23 See Towne pages for descendant information.
Children of LUCY BALLARD and EPHRAIM TOWNE are:
i. EZRA4 TOWNE23, b. September 08, 1778, Hallowell, Maine23; d. November 14, 1881, or 1811?23; m. SUSANNAH SPRINGS23. 5 children23
ii. JOHN TOWNE23, b. February 04, 1780, Hallowell, Maine23; d. April 10, 178523.
iii. POLLY TOWNE23, b. November 05, 1781, Hallowell, Maine23; d. Aft. 180923.
iv. PATTY TOWNE23, b. August 13, 1783, Hallowell, Maine23; d. June 29, 1820, of Maine - no children24; m. SMITH25.
v. LUCY TOWNE27, b. July 23, 1785, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine27; d. April 24, 180227.
vi. HANNAH TOWNE27, b. November 14, 1787, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine27; d. February 08, 178827.
vii. HANNAH TOWNE27, b. May 04, 1789, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine27; d. July 10, 179327.
viii. DOLLY TOWNE27, b. November 24, 1791, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine27; d. August 08, 1858, unmarried27.
ix. JOHN TOWNE27, b. October 03, 1793, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine27; d. Abt. 188527; m. ABIGAIL WYMAN27, February 26, 182227. 5 children27
x. TOWNE27, b. September 1795, Winslow, Maine28; d. September 1795, 2 hours after delivery, Winslow, Maine28.
xi. BETSEY TOWNE29, b. April 13, 1797, Winslow, Lincoln Co., Maine29; d. Abt. 1895, no children29; m. TRISTAM TILTON29.
5. JONATHAN3 BALLARD (EPHRAIM2, JONATHAN1) was born 176330, and died 1838 of Hallowell, York Co., Maine30. He married SALLY PIERCE January 11, 1792 in Hallowell, York Co., Maine30. She died Aft. 173830.
Child of JONATHAN BALLARD and SALLY PIERCE is:
i. JACK4 BALLARD, b. 1792; d. Aft. 1799. January 05, 1799, drank "spirits" and was "dead" but revived30
6. DOROTHY3 BALLARD (EPHRAIM2, JONATHAN1) was born 1771, and died 1861 of Hallowell, York Co., Maine30. She married LAMBARD.
Children of DOROTHY BALLARD and LAMBARD are:
i. SARAH4 LAMBARD.
ii. HANNAH LAMBARD.
-- A mailing list for the
discussion and sharing of information regarding the BALLARD surname in any
place and at any time.
A WORK IN PROGRESS!
If you have comments or suggestions, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids