George Bellamy 35,36
- Born: 24 Oct 1828, Laughterton, Lincolnshire, England 11,37,38
- Marriage: Jane Hodgson 1 Jan 1848, Northallerton, Yorkshire, England 34
- Died: 13 Jan 1910, Cairo, Hall Co., Nebraska, at age 81 38,39
- Buried: Cameron Cemetery, Cairo, Hall Co., Nebraska 37
Cause of his death was Bright's Disease (secondary cause - old age).
George Bellamy's age on his marriage certificate (1 Jan 1848) is given as 21 years. His residence at time of marriage is shown as Ainderby Steeple. His occupation is given as "plate layer". A definition of this term is as follows: PLATELAYER - men who laid and maintained the railway tracks in Britain and the word actually predates railways being derived from the very old "plateways" which existed hundireds of years ago, mainly for moving coal
"The Bellamys came to Nebraska from Michigan in 1875 and settled in Hall county."
Dayton [Michigan] was organized by the board of supervisors at a meeting held January 6, 1857. It comprised territory taken from Vassar and described as follows, to wit: Township 11 north, of range 10 and 11 east. The first township meeting was ordered held at the house of G. W. Spencer, and James Weaver, G. W. Spencer and William Mead were inspectors of election.
The names of the freeholders in the above described townships are as follows: William Mead, G. W. Spencer, Joseph Crawford, J. P. Weaver, James Hiester, L. Hurd, Geo. Bellamy, Benjamin Docker, Daniel Lynch, M. Shay J. Lynch, Geo. Green, Joseph Green, William Hamilton, John R. Hamilton.
The first town meeting was held April 6, 1857, at the house of G. W. Spencer, in section 83. G. W. Spencer, J. P. Weaver and Wm. Mead constituted the board of inspectors. Fifteen votes were cast, and the following are the names of the officers elected and the number of votes given for each: Supervisor, Lorenzo Hurd, fifteen votes; clerk, Jonas P. Weaver, fifteen votes; treasurer, George W. Spencer, fifteen votes; justices of the peace, Wm. Mead, fifteen votes, David Clinesmith, fifteen votes, Lorenzo Hurd, fifteen votes, Joseph Crawford, fifteen votes; highway commissioners, Wm. Mead, fourteen votes, Dennis Harmon, thirteen votes, Geo. Bellamy, fifteen votes; school inspectors, Lorenzo Hurd, fifteen votes; John Hamilton, fifteen votes; constables, Dennis Harmon, thirteen votes, Geo. Bellamy, fifteen votes; directors of the poor, Dennis Harmon and Joseph Crawford, each, fifteen votes. $250 were voted for highway purposes.
LAND ENTRIES PRIOR TO 1860.
TOWNSHIP 11 NORTH, RANGE 10 EAST
SECTION 22.Jesse McQuigg, August 14, 1855.
Jefferson B. Clark, September 3, 1855.
George Bellamy, October 24, 1855.
George Howdin, October 24, 1855.
Hiram Alesworth, September 25, 1856.
Orrin Aleswortli, September 25. 1856.
The location of Dayton is on the south line of Tuscola County, with Koylton upon the east, Wells to the north, and Fremont to the west. The surface of the country is generally rolling, in places hilly, and the soil varies from heavy clay to sandy loam, giving in different parts nearly every variety of soil. It is, however, generally productive, portions very much so, and none entirely worthless.
The first settlers in the town were Geo. W. Spencer and Joseph Crawford, known as "Little Joe," who came in the spring of 1856. Following them came Daniel Lynch and his sons, Michael and -Jeremiah, Matthew Lewis, William Mead, Henry Rounds, Richard Clark, William and John R. Hamilton, George Bellamy, Benjamin W. Hall, Joseph Green, Michael Shay, Robinson, Rufus Gilliam, David Clinesmith, Lorenzo Hurd, J. P. Weaver, Dennis Harmon, George Green, Stewart Goodell. Settlement commenced in the south part of the town.
The first school was taught in a log school-house in the southwest corner of the town.
The year 1857 was known in Dayton and adjoining towns as the "year of famine": In addition to other causes, the woods and fields swarmed with chipmunks, mice and other vermin which destroyed the crops, devouring the corn, and even digging up, carrying away and destroying the potatoes. So great was the destitution among some of the settlers that even starvation would in some cases undoubtedly have resulted, had it not been for relief sent in from more favored localities.
As late as 1858 the country was yet but poorly supplied with roads, only the north and south center road being cut out through the town, though others had been surveyed. Most of the supplies came from Lapeer, it being impossible to reach Vassar by team, costing for bringing in about three times the first cost. N. D. Phelps, who came in February, 1858, for three years packed all his supplies from Vassar, his, usual load being fifty pounds. On one occasion, having worked five days twelve miles below Vassar, he walked to Vassar in the forenoon, ate his dinner, and taking fifty pounds of flour on his back, walked home through the woods, carrying his load sixteen miles, with but one or two rests. Now few, if any, towns in the county have better roads than Dayton.
The 1900 Census to the "Nebraska Soldiers and Sailors Home" lists George Bellamy as an inmate.
A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SOLDIERS AND SAILORS HOME
In 1884 the bill providing for the establishment of a soldier's home was passed. In April, 1887, the home was located three miles north of Grand Island on lands purchased by the citizen. The corner-stone was placed October 20, 1887, by then Governor Thayer, and a gala day was enjoyed by the community and the entire country for miles around. The building was dedicated June 26, 1888.
The principal building of the institution is 160 feet long and 90 feet wide, and with the stone basement is four stories high. A high stairway of stone, 10 feet wide, leads to the main entrance. Broad hallways run through the center from one end to the other on each floor. The lower or basement story contains a storeroom, dining room, smoking room, and an extensive kitchen. On the second floor are the headquarters, commandant's consultation room, large library, parlors, dining rooms. The third and fourth floors are used for sleeping rooms, a veteran's wit having christened the fourth floor the hurricane deck. Several smaller buildings are used for sleeping quarters (my note: two are still standing and in use, they're called the McKinnley buildings). A number of cottages have been built around the grounds and are assigned to the married couples mainly. The power house and laundry, stables, and numerous other buildings are scattered about the grounds.
Farming operations are carried on upon the 640-acre tract, which are of no small proportions. Very good crops are raised and the produce forms a valuable addition to the larder and assets of the Home. The Home has been an asset to Grand Island, in no manner insignificant from a financial viewpoint. A considerable portion of the government and state appropriations for the institution and of the pension money received by the inmates is spent in Grand Island.
TODAY AT THE NEBRASKA VETERANS HOME
Most of the original buildings are gone, except for the McKinnley buildings. But a walk out to the north of the main building will give the visitor an idea of how the "Home" used to look. Part of the original main street is still visible. The parade grounds to the south are filled with trees and beautiful flowers in the spring and summer.
The "Old Soldiers Home" went by "The Home" for several years. Shortly after the turn of the century it was renamed Burkett. That is when the town bustled with people and excitement. But, as Grand Island grew, especially to the north, the small town of Burkett was absorbed. Today the Home is filled with WWII veterans and their wives, or widows. There are more and more Korean War veterans residing there and even some Vietnam veterans.
There is a small cemetery to the west of the Home known as Veterans Memorial Cemetery. Any veteran, or veteran's wife, who dies at the Veterans Home is eligible to be buried at the cemetery.
The Home has a long history, starting with the Civil War veterans, through every other American conflict. It is something Grand Island can be proud of, knowing that our veterans have a place to go, where they are treated with respect, and can enjoy the beautiful surroundings of the Home.
Noted events in his life were:
• Immigrated to US, 1849. 40
• lived in Canada.
• Naturalization, 1849. 41
• land Entry, 24 Oct 1855, Tuscola Co., Michigan. Section 22, TOWNSHIP 11 NORTH, RANGE 10 EAST
• Enlisted in Army, 9 Aug 1862, Juniata, Tuscola, Michigan. 38 23 Michigan Infantry, Company D; residence of George Bellamy shown as Indian Fields age 36
physical description at time of enlistment is as follows: Height 5' 9" , complexion, dark, color of eyes blue; color of hair brown; that his occupation was farmer; that he was born Oct. 24, 1828 in ??? (can't read) England
• Battle of Resaca, 15 May 1864, Resaca, Georgia. 38 Wounded by enemy shell causing a rupture in right side
• Mustered out of Army, 28 Jun 1865, Detroit, Wayne, Michigan. 38 he was the oldest man in the company
• Residence, 1866-1875, Bay City, Bay Co., Michigan. 38
• Residence, 14 Jul 1870, Portsmouth Twp., Bay Co., Michigan. 42 Census shows George, age 40, farmer, value of real estate $15,000, value of personal property $3,000; Jane age 43, keeping house; William age 19, working on farm; John, age 15, at school; Susan, age 12, at school; and Elmer, age 8.
• Moved to Nebraska, 1875, Hall Co., Nebraska. 38
• Residence, 1875-1903, Hall Co., Nebraska. 38
• Residence, 8 Jun 1880, South Loup Twp, Hall Co., Nebraska. 43 The census shows George, age 52 farmer, and Jane, 53, keeping house, with son John, age 24, living at home - occupation, laborer.
• Residence, 1903-1910, St. Paul, Howard County, Nebraska. 38
George married Jane Hodgson, daughter of Ralph Hodgson and Susanah Fletcher, on 1 Jan 1848 in Northallerton, Yorkshire, England.34 (Jane Hodgson was born in Jun 1826 in Northallerton, Yorkshire, England, christened on 1 Jul 1827, died on 10 Sep 1886 in Grand Island, Hall County, Nebraska 38 and was buried in 1886 in Cameron Cemetery, Cairo, Hall Co., Nebraska 44,45.)