Search billions of records on
Francoise PAIGNE


Family Links



  • Born: 1586, Saint-Langis-les-Mortagne, France
  • Marriage: Nicole LEMAIRE on 13 Dec 1619 in St Jean, Mortagne, Perche, France
  • Died: 20 May 1662, Trois Rivieres, Quebec at age 76

bullet  General Notes:

Gaspard Boucher was another close relation who emigrated to New France, believed by some researchers to have been Marin's brother, though more likely his cousin. Gaspard Boucher was father of Pierre Boucher, Seigneur of Boucherville, and founder of the parish and township of Boucherville, across the Saint Lawrence River from Montreal. Pierre Boucher became Governor of Trois-Rivières and a Royal Judge, was ennobled, and settled on his seigneurie, where he founded a model seigneurie, village and Parish which is now a suburban satellite of Montreal.

Gaspard Boucher may have arrived with his family separately in 1635 according to the memoires of his son, Sieur Pierre Boucher de Boucherville.

From LaForest, French Canadian Ancestors:

Gaspard came with his entire family in 1635. It was his son Pierre who accomplished feats of arms and had his name entered in history books. Their destiny was shaped by settling in Trois-Rivieres. He was a master wood-worker, and farmer at Beauport.

Gaspard was probably the son of Jacques Boucher and of Francoise Paigne. Married Nicole Lemaire when he was about 20. Had 8 children, five of whom crossed the seas with their parents. On 25 May 1633 Gaspard may not have intended to leave his homeland, because he acqured from Marie Gastrie, his mother in law, a plot of land and an orchard at Perruchet, in the parish of Saint-Hilaire. He sold this property on 1 Feb 1634, maybe because he had decided to leave, but he was not on the first ship. On the following 20 April 1634 we learn that Marie Gastire, abandoned wife of Pierre Delorme, her second husband, ensured her son in law and daughter a legacy superior to that of her other heirs because they had provided for her without recompense for eighteen months. His son stated he had been brought to New France by his father in 1635.

On 19 March 1635, th e Bouchers sold, left, ceded and transferred forever to Jeanne Desjouis, two parcels of plowed but unsown land at Charbonniers, adjoining the monastery of Val-Dieu.

A few days after that the family receved the belssing of Cure Alexander Chevalier, traveled the forty leagues ( 160 km) by wagon (From Mortagne to Dieepe) and embarked on one of the ships commanded by Duplessis-Bouchart. Saint-Jacques, commanded by Roche-Jacquelin. Coming out of the English Channel, the convoy evaded a fleet of Turkish ships and made the transit, beset by the usual Atlantic storms. This voyage was longer than the one the previous year, but they finally reached land on 4 July. (Voyage must have taken just over three months.) A long-boat sent from Tadoussac announced their arrival at Quebec eight days before they got there.

Samuel Champlain, who died in December 1635, welcomed the new arrivals at Fort Saint-Louis.

Gaspard himself asked Champlain for protection on is arrival at Quebec. He then took advantage of this ot inform the Governor of an incident in which he was a victim. Thomas Giroust, a traveling companion to whom he had entrusted some personal effectgs, refused to return them. Chaplain ordered Giroust to return the property. Giroust pretended to obey but later swore that he would not. This affiar dragged on for three years. On 12 Sep 1638, Gaspard recounted that he had asked Giroust to take him from Mortagne to Dieppe, with baggage which contained among other things, two large salt cellars, two large flower vases, two large plates, six porridge bowls, all in a tin case, eight to ten plates, three small bows, two of pewter and one of tin, a ceramic bottle containing rosewater, two bushels of cooked pears and one bushel of cooked prunes. All of these items were put on board the ship and brought to Quebec. It appears that for punishment for this theft, Giroust was obligated to sell his property and return to Quebec.

During the first 10 years of his stay in New France, it seems that Gaspard Boucher was a farmer for the Jesuits at Beauport. In 1644 he received a section of land at Trois Riviees, probably granted by the governor. The Boucher family was well established by 1646 because in that year two of Gaspard`s teenaged daughters were lised as godmothers.

Sister Estelle Mitchell wrote in a letter to her son (Richardeau, vol 2, p 364), Dom Claude Martin, no clue when:

``At the post of Trois-Rivieres, the Boucher family had great influence, being made up of eighteen people while the total population did not exceed one hundred. Gaspard, the father, as well as his sons in law Buadry and Lafond, signed the official report of the electoin, as trustee, of Michel Leneuf do Harrison in Sep 1648. On Sunday, 27 Jan 1649, at the home of Gaspard Boucher, a marriage contract was signed between his son Pierre and Marie Chrestien, a Huron woman living in Trois Rivieres and who was related to the Pachirini family. Marie-Madeleine Cretienne, as historians call her , was a boarder for a few years at the Ursuline Convent``. Mother Marie de l`Incarnation said about her : ``Tehre are some among the Hurons who persevered in their studies and whom we raised as French girls. We provide for them and they do very well I reading, writing and speaking French. We have introduced one of these girls to Monsieur Boucher who has been for some time the Governor of Trois-Rivieres``.

The whole Boucher family approved of this marriage.

In June 1649 Gaspard sold his property to Jean Sauvaget, but Governor d`Aillebourst granted him another in June 1650, as 11a place to build a house at the bottom of the hillide where the fort is situated``. This property had an area of 300 toises; 10 in frontage and 30 in depth, located near the road that ran from the town to the common. Gaspard`s immediate neighbor was his son Pierre, who also received a grant on the same day, located to the northwest, on the land called the ```Marquisat du Sable``; a boundary which corresponds today with the rue Badeaux.

The only further detail about his life is a lawsuit brought in 1655 against two competitors, master carpenter Elie Bourbaut and his associated Michel Lemay. There is no record of his nor his wife`s deaths; they fall into a whole in the records of Trois-Rivieres. Gaspard died between 1662 and 1668, possibly in the fire that burned down his house before 27 Jun 1668. His wife apparently died before that time as well. His daughter reported that the title to the land had been destroyed in the fire.

Gaspard’s son, the Sieur de Grosbois, son of Gaspard and Nicole Lemarie, holds a place of prime importacein the history of French Canada. So many historians and writers, such as Raymond Douville, Montarville Boucher de la Bruere, Estelle Mitchell, Laure Conan, Alphonese Fortin, Seaphin Marion and others, have recounted his exploits, that it seems superfluous to add anything.

Pierre was baptized at Mortagne, Perche on 1 Aug 1622. He came to New France by his parents who settled on a farm of the Jesuits. A short time later these missionaries took him with them to Huronia where he helped with their work, sharing in the native life and learning the customs and dialects. At the same time, the good fathers completed his education. In 1640, he was seriously wounded in the arm during a skirmish which came near to being tragic for two of the priests.

Pierre returned to Quebec in 1641, and went into the service of Governor Hualt de Montmagmy as soldier, interpreter, and Indian agent. On 18 May Montreal, he took part in the founding of Ville-Marie (Montreal), and in August of that year, at the mouth of the Richelieu, he fought against the Iroquois. In 1644 Pierre made his official entry into Trois-Rivieres with the title of interpreter and clerk at the fort. He participated in the defense of the town and in negotiationw with the Mohawk chief Kiotseueton, in 1645. In 1646 he pursued the Iroqois to the Puante River at Becancour. At this time his parents moved to Trois-Rivieres, and from then on he considered Trois-Rivieres his home.

His marriage to Marie Woebadinakouie, known as Marie Chretienne, a Huron girl educated in a convent, was part of a dream he had of creating a new people by the union of French men and Indian women. The union was not fruitful and did not last long. One son was born, who lived on only a few days, and his wife died by 1652, when he remarried. The second marriage produced ten sons and six daughters. Several of the offspring won fame by following in their father’s footsteps.

On 6 Jun 1651, Pierre Boucher, who had shown leadership in the small community of Trois-Rivieres, was named its Commandent. On 19 Aug 1652, he fiercely opposed the punitive expedition againt the Iroqouis by Governor Duplessis-Kerbodt, in vain, and the ensuing defeat spread panic throughout the colony. On 23 Aug 1653, 600 Iroqouis surrounded the fort after having massacred or stolen the livestock and burned the harvest and buildings outside the palisade.

With only about 40 very young and very old men, the garrison resisted the repeatedattacks for nine days. When the Indians asked for a truce, Pierre Boucher met them alone outside the fort and persuaded the Indian chiefs to return their prisoners, and to bring gifts to Quebec for a meeting with the Royal Governor, which was done. The exploit earned Pierre the title of Governor (of Trois-Rivieres), an office he asked to be relieved from in 1657 in order to retire to his lands at the Cap.

On Aug 31, 1661, Governor Dubois Davaugour, who had just arrived, was appalled to discover the deplorable state of affairs in which the colony found itself. He designated Pierre Boucher to sail for France to plead the case of New France with the King.

“Pierre Boucher, Sieur de Grosbois, sailed for Paris on 22 Oct, with dispatches from the colony’s governor, and an important letter to the Prince de Conde, along with letters from the Jesuits to their mother house. He was granted an audience with the king, during which Louis promised to help the colony and place New France under his protection. Grosbois also convinced the Prince de Conde and Colbert, the minister of finance, of the colony’s importance to France. He left for home on 15 Jul 1662 with ships, soldiers and provisions.

“The success of Pierre Boucher at the French court marks a turning point in the history of New France. … It brought about the arrival of the Marquis de Prouville de Tracy in command of the Regiment de Carignan-Salieres, comprised of 1,00 men and officers, and the first Intendant, Jean Talon. “

On his return to the country, Pierre resumed the governorship of Trois-Rivieres. In 1667, facing internal difficulties with citizens who disregarded his directives, he finally gave up the post of Governor and retired to his seigneury on the Ile Percees, a place later renamed Boucherville. Pierre spent the last 50years of his life improving his lands and attracting colonists of his choice, severl of which were recruited from Trois-Rivieres. He died in his manorhouse at Boucherville on 19 Apr 1717, at the age of 95 years.


Gaspard married Nicole LEMAIRE on 13 Dec 1619 in St Jean, Mortagne, Perche, France. (Nicole LEMAIRE was born 1598 or 10 Mar 1595 in Mamers, Perche, France and died after 19 Jun 1652 in Trois-Rivieres, Montmorency, Quebec.)

Home | Table of Contents | Surnames | Name List

This Web Site was Created 13 Nov 2009 with Legacy 6.0 from Millennia