- Born: 1655, Saint-Michel-le-Cloucq, Poitou, France
- Marriage: Francoise AMIOT on 5 Nov 1675 in Notre Dame de Quebec
- Died: 8 Jan 1710, St. Augustine, Quebec at age 55
From http://www.familyorigins.com/users/d/a/h/Alfred-J-Dahlquist/FAMO2-0001/d179.html, cites LaForest
864. Charles GINGRAS was born in 1642. He died on 7 Jan 1710 in St-Augustin, P.Quebec. He was buried on 8 Jan 1710 in St-Augustin, P.Quebec.
From "Our French Canadian-Ancestors" by Thomas J. Laforest. vol.22 pg.94-115 Charles Gingras, brother of Sebastien and ancestor of all the Gingras families in America, would have come to Canada in 1669. It is not likely that he did so before this, considering that the censuses of 1666 and 1667 did not mention him and that few immigrants arrived in 1668. On the other hand, the following year, the king of France made a considerable effort to populate the country. He ordered 64,000 livres be put at the disposal of the colony to recruit 500 men and women, and to send twelve mares, two stallions and fifty sheep. In 1669, four ships docked at Quebec: le Chat, 250 tons, outfitted by Charles Aubert, departed from La Rochelle on 11 June and arrived on 20 August; l'Esperance, same outfitter, left the same port on 30 June and arrived on 15 September; and the le Saint-Pierre de Hambourg, 300 tons, outfitted by Pierre Gaigneur; and finally, the 300 ton le Pot de Berne, same outfitter. To this list we must add the le Saint-Jean-Baptiste, a Normand ship of the Sieur Guenet, carrying on board Mme Bourdon (Anne Gasnier) and 150 daughters of the king. The large recruitment promised in 1669, in fact only arrived in 1670, because of bad weather conditions which raged on land and sea. On this subject, Marie de l'Incarnation wrote: We wait from day to day for Monsieur Talon whom the King has sent back, in order to settle all things in this country, and to do them according to the design of His Majesty. There are five hundred men with him and only two women of quality with their attendants. Last season when we were afraid with reason that some misfortune had occurred to his ship and to another which accompanied it, because for two weeks, there was such a terrible storm that we feared that he had perished; There was for this purpose three ships which crossed the mouth of the sea, in order to see if they can discover the ships or some debris. The houses of the lower town of Quebec had been greatly damaged, the tide being swelled so extraordinarily, that it rose up to the third floor. There are still some houses knocked down in the upper town. The storm had been so violent everywhere that our house shook as if in an earthquake. The roof and the rafters of the building of our servants had been carried away. Our wood fences, and those of Monseigneur the Bishop, the Nursing Sisters, the Reverend Fathers, and other of this type have been blown down... This is the cause of our concern regarding Monsieur Talon, in which the country would be at a considerable loss if he was shipwrecked. Marie de l'Incarnation finally had an answer to her fears the following summer, because
Talon only arrived on 18 August 1670. Nine days later she wrote to her son: Finally Monsieur Talon has arrived at Quebec. He thought he'd be shipwrecked a second time near Tadoussac, where a storm tossed his ship onto the rocks, and set it on its side. All the crew had a great fear at their first pieces of debris; because I believe that you have known that his ship, which we waited for all last year with great concern, was carried away by the storm, and that it would be wrecked on the rocks of Lisbonne in Portugal. This year his ship remained fixed between the frightful rocks in a place where the tide rises and lowers. They remained there until it was refloated. Everyone began to make vows, and to ask our Lord for mercy. The ship which should have broken into pieces, and everyone lost, was refloated without any rupture; on the contrary by unexpected good fortune, in the spot where it had leaked during the whole crossing, in such a way that they had been obliged to continually pump, the large bumping that it had had on the rocks tightened it so that there was not a single drop ofwater since. Would Charles Gingras have come to New France in 1670 rather than in 1669? The answer is no. He was already here in July while Talon's ship only arrived in August. We have proof of this in the contract of concession of the ancestral land drawn up by Gilles Rageot on 22 September 1671. On that day, Jean Juchereau de Maure, seigneur of Cap Rouge, by way of cens and seigneurial rent ceded to Charles living at Sillery (probably at his brother Sebastien's home), a piece of land with three arpents in frontage facing the Saint-Lawrence River, by thirty arpents deep inland, bordering on one side Esnard Tinon and on the other side Robert Choret. The tenant was committed to bring his grain to the mill which would be built by the seigneur, to allow necessary public roads pass through his concession, to have a home there starting then, he or someone else, to work at his clearing and his farming. After the accounts were made between them, Gingras admitted owing sieur de Maure sixteen livres and six sols for the arrears owed for the past two years, an amount transferred from Jean Chesnier in a release from Gingras, as indicated in a private document dated 19 July 1670, according to which the debtor was obliged to pay on the next All Saint's Day. On 7 June 1672, Sebastien was present at the home of notary Rageot at Quebec in order to meet with Robert de la Porte, resident of la Riviere des Roches, and to buy his land with three arpents of frontage by thirty deep. The seller stated that this homestead had been ceded by the late Jean Juchereau de Maure to Gervais Poutoune in 1669 and that the latter had given it to him in a contract the following year. This land was free of all debt, except for the seigneurial rents for the whole past. To the cost of these rents, the buyer had to add 60 livres tournois: 20 livres in the form of a note paid the same day to the sieur de la Ferte, and the other 40 livres had to be paid on the next Saint-Michel's Day, 29 September. Sebastien knew this property well because it was located right next to the home of his brother Charles. He saw it each time that he went to visit. Did he intend to settle There? Perhaps through brotherly love and the desire to help each other. Perhaps Sebastien had also seen an opportunity to make a good investment. However it happened and, two years later, he sold it to Jean-Pierre Jouineau, a young man whose family lived in the neighborhood. The matter was concluded at Quebec at the home of notary Romain Becquet, on 18 June 1674. The buyer agreed to pay the cens and rents due to the seigneur, plus an amount of 90 livres tournois, including ten paid to the seller, the rest coming from Louis Rouer de Villeray. These 80 livres were part of an amount of 380 livres which Rouer already owed to Jouineau following a purchase of a concession made seven years earlier. Bernard Faure de Mortiac, an Acadian notary passing through to Quebec, and Jacques Turet, shoemaker, signed as witnesses with the notary who drew up the document. In 1675, Charles Gingras had been in the country for at least six years, four of them spent clearing and developing his land at la Riviere des Roches. He believed he was sufficiently well-off to start a family. Francoise Amiot was his heart's desire. The wedding would take place with joint property according to the coutume of Paris and the dowry was set at 500 livres tournois. For their part, the Amiots promised to give their daughter an advance of inheritance of 200 livres, paid in three payments, in provisions and other things. In the census of 1681, we find Charles age 40 his wife Francoise Amiot, their children Mathieu, Jean and Charles. They had a gun for hunting and to defend themselves against the potential enemy; they kept four head of cattle and worked twelve arpents of their land located in the seigneurie of Maure. The ninth decade of the seventeenth century would be the last for Sebastien Gingras. On 27 October 1687, his widow made a request so that the inventory of the community property which had existed between her and her late husband be drawn up. This inventory also noted an act of guardianship of his minor children, in the meantime Uncle Charles became their substitute guardian.Charles died on 7 January 1710 and was buried in the small cemetery of Saint-Augustin, after having lived nearly forty years in his adopted land. Marie-Francoise Amiot survived him by more than a quarter century. The Amiots owned a site on Rue Notre-Dame, behind la Montage at Quebec. Their immediate neighbor was the gunsmith Jean Soulard. A few years after the death of her parents, Marie-Francoise had decided to sell her share of this location to the notary Florent de la Cetiere. The transaction was concluded in the presence of Michel Le Pailleur, on 3 November 1702, for one hundred livres in principal and six livres for the pins. After the death of her husband, Marie-Francoise Amiot asked her son Joseph to take over for his father at home. An acknowledgement of this fact comes from another son, Jean, married in 1705 and living in the neighboring parish of la Pointe-aux-Trembles (Neuville). In an act signed by the lawyer Hilaire Bernard de la Riviere on 22 December 1711, Jean made a donation to Joseph of a piece of land located on the 2nd range of the seigneurie of Maure, which his father had bequeathed to him on the occasion of his marriage. This donation was made, says the act, for the good and fraternal friendship which he had for Joseph Gingras, his brother, for the good care that he had given to their mother and their brothers and sisters since the death of Charles Gingras their father, and with the hope that he will continue them in the future as he has done in the past. Two years later, Marie-Francoise made official, with the consent of her sons of majority age, Mathieu, Jean and Pierre, this role which already had fallen to Joseph. On 4 October 1713, she went to Quebec with them to the home of notary Chambalon whom she begged to legalize her donation. She stated there to have ceded to Joseph, also present and accepting, all rights to the personal property and real estate that she can have from the community property which existed between her and her late husband, according to the inventory which had been made by the messire Thierry Hazeur, missionary priest fulfilling the duties of curate in this parish of Saint-Augustin, dated 18 March 1713. The value of this property was appraised at 2,748 livres and five sols, half of which goes to her was given to Joseph, on the condition that he promise and is obliged to feed house do laundry and support her in health and in sickness for the rest of her days in her house according to her condition, and also orders the said recipient to feed and support the two little brothers and two little sisters for the income of their property so that they will want to live with them and the two other grown sisters in the case that they wish to remain at the house on the condition that each of them will be held to work according to her strength for the benefit of the said recipient. Joseph was also charged, after the death of his mother, with having her buried and having 25 requiem masses said for the repose of her soul. Following the example of their mother, Jean, Pierre and Mathieu ceded in the meantime to Joseph, their hereditary rights. in order for him to have the means of feeding and supporting more comfortably their said mother until the day of her death and for the good friendship which they have for him. In such warm terms Chambalon knew how to express the brotherly love and the close ties which bound the members of the family of Ancestor Charles! In order to become the sole owner of the ancestral land, Joseph later acquired the successive rights of his other brothers and sisters. He would also have the good fortune of keeping his mother close, his best adviser, until she had reached her 76th year. She died on 7 February 1736 and was buried the next day in the parish cemetery of Saint-Augustin. All the Canadian Gingrases are descended from Charles and Marie-Francoise Amiot; the direct paternal line of Sebastien did not go beyond the third generation. The ancestral land at Saint-Augustin had been occupied without interruption by ten generations of Gingrases, from 1670 until 1965, nearly 300 years. The last owner, Rosario Gingras, sold it to the University of Laval on 31 March 1965, a transaction recorded in the Registry Office of Cap-Sainte on the following 8 April. He was married to Francoise AMIOT @ on 5 Nov 1675 in N.-D.-de-Quebec, Quebec, P.Quebec.
Charles married Francoise AMIOT, daughter of Mathieu AMIOT DIT VILLENEUVE and Marie MIVILLE, on 5 Nov 1675 in Notre Dame de Quebec. (Francoise AMIOT was born on 12 Jul 1660 in Notre-Dame de Quebec, Quebec, Quebec and died on 8 Feb 1736.)