Etienne PEPIN DE LAFOND
- Born: 1615, Saint-Laurent-de-la-Barriere, Saintonge, France
- Marriage: Marie BOUCHER on 30 Jan 1645 in Quebec, Quebec
- Died: Sep 1665, Trois-Rivieres, St-Maurice, Quebec at age 50
He was a servant at Three Rivers and then "colon" and "charpentier". He was buried in the church at Three Rivers.
Canada, Perche et Normandie, 8 Dec 1899.
Le Perche des Canadiens, p 38.
Etienne Pepin de
Etienne Pepin was a carpenter from Saint-Laurent-de-la-Barriere, Saintonge, Charente Maritime. He was 30 at his marriage in January 1645. (b abt 1614) The first mention of him is on 7 Oct 1642, when as a servant in the house of the Ursulines of Quebec, he bought at auction some of the clothes of interpreter Jean Nicolet, who had been drowned on the river in a storm.
In November 1645, Etienne was called as a witness to a fight over a pair of oxen and a cart.
Father Jacques Buteau, a missionary who was killed by the Iroquois, with the Society of Jesus, granted Etienne a homestead two arpents in frontage by 40 in depth, located between the Faveral river and Cap-de-la-Madeleine. Later that year Etienne hired Pierre Albert for one year.
In Jun 1650, Etienne settled in the town of Trois Rivieres. He bought a lot on Rue Notre-Dame, 20 by 25 toises, facing the future rue de Platon. In 1668 he built a house tehre, with courtyard, barn, and garden. In July 1651 he acquired another lot, 12 by 20 toises, on the same street. He sold it on 24 Feb 1657 to Pierre Pellerin dit Saint-Amant for 70 livres; it was sold again and by 1668 this house was in ruins.
Lafond also owned land about 36 arpents, in the seigneuriy of Cap-de-la-Madeleine, betweeen the land of Etienne Gelineau and the Saint-Maurice River.
In 1655 Etienne became the seigneur of an undeveloped fief in the commune of Lake Saint-Pierre. It remained undeveloped because of ever present danger of Iroqois attacks. It was conceded by Governor de Lauson acting on behalf of the One Hundred Associates. The grant was located at the river Madeleine above Trois-Rivieres, on the north bank of the stream. Lafond never took poession of this domain; in 1672 his son in law Charles Lesieur registered for it. At this time Lafond`s widow, Marie Boucher, took possession of a rear -fief called la Pierre, in the seigneury of the Cap, below Trois Rivieres, in compensation for the one of 1655.
In July 1654 Etienne took possession of of another plot on the right bank of the Saint-Maurice, near Trois Rivieres, that measured three in frontage by eight in depth and was set back from the river by a road of six toises. He leased it to Mathurin Goyer dit Laviolette in exchange mostly for the obligation to clear the land. In 1656, Etienne received another plot, 2 by 20 arpents, situated in the third row to the northwest of town. His neighbors were Cristophe Crevier dit Lameslee and Jean Godefroy de Lintot.
For his time, he was a great landowner.
In March 1662, he rented a farm for five years from Madelinot Pierre Coucq dit Lafleur. While he was clearing and cultivating this land he was accepting construction contracts from others. In Aug 1662, he agreeed to construct for surgeon Michel Gamelin, a house similar to the one near the windmill on the Faveral river. In September he accepted another concessoin from Father Jean-Claude Allouez, SJ, in the seigneury of the Cap.
In Dec 1664, Etienne was hired to biuld a boat out of pine for Nicolas Gastineau-Duplessis. In 1655, some months before his death, he settled a difference with his neighbor Etienne Gelineau concerning their land holdings.
The parish record of his death says ``probably from a heart attack``.
Marie Boucher carried on in place of her late husband. In 1667, she accepted a piece of land from the last plat of Trois-Rivieres from Jesuit Father Jacques Fremin. In 1668 she bought a little house and barn in town from Charles de Montmainier.
The census of 1666, 1667 and 1681 mention the family Lafond; first at Trois Rivieres, with two domestics; 19 year old Jacques, and 19 year old Pierre Deshaies. Then at Petit-Cap-de-la-Madeleine, where the widow lived alone with 10 animals and 20 arpents of cleared land. Finally at the same Cap, Marie Boucher, age 51 (IN 1681)LIVED WITH HER SONS, Pierre, 26, Etienne, 20, and Augustin, 20. Pierre Deshaies still lived there as a domestic. The family owned a firearm, a dozen cattle, and 25 arpents of arable land.
Marie Boucher outlived her husband by more than 40 years, and carried out many transactions, including sales, gifts, concessions, loans, rents, and leases, recorded in the records of notary Jean Cusson, between 1674 and 1694. In 1691 she and farmer Aubin Mondoux took a dispute about the delivery of produce to court. In June 170 she agreed to pay Quebec merchant Francois Hazeur the sum of250 livres + for a debt incurred by her husand 35 yers before. Her brother was Governor Pierre Boucher. She seems to have managed the family affairs with authority and competence, and more skill at business than her brother.
Etienne married Marie BOUCHER, daughter of Gaspard BOUCHER and Nicole LEMAIRE, on 30 Jan 1645 in Quebec, Quebec. (Marie BOUCHER was born in 1629 in Mortagne-au-Perche, Perche, France.)