Louis Noel HOUDE
- Born: 1 Jul 1617, Manou, Perche, France
- Marriage (1): Madeleine BOUCHER on 12 Jan 1655 in Chateau-Richer, Montmorency, Quebec
- Marriage (2): Marie LEMAY in 1685
- Died: 21 Jan 1718, St-Croix, Lotbiniere, Quebec at age 100
From LaForest's French-Canadian Ancestors series
Like most of the colonists of his time, Loius Houde was a land clearer and farmer, however, on occasion, he worked at his trade of master mason. Born in Perche in 1617, he emigrated to New France thirty years later. A record left by notary Claude Lecoustre, and preserved in teh Judicial Archives of Quebec, confirms the presence of Louis aboard a ship out of Dieppe, owned by the Company of One Hundred Assoicates and commanded by Captain Marsolet.
According to his marriage contract, he was teh son of Noel Houde and of Anne Lefebvre, from Manou, doicese of Chatres, Perche (Eure-et-Loire). He began service with a number of individuals he sailed with in the employ of Seigneur Noel Juchereau de Chastellees, for whom he apparently worked off his three years of service to pay for his passage to New France. Noel Juchereau was purchasing agent for the Associates. He died soon after returning to Quebec, and his sister took inventory of his estate. The estate shows Louis Houde as a servant.
By 1649 he and Jean Dufour, who also had sailed on the same ship, bought in partnership a piece of land on the river 12 arpents wide by 20 deep. Probably in the bounds of present-day parish of Saint-Augustin, ceded to them by Jean Juchereau de Maure. On 11 Oct of the same year, they ceded this land to Mathurin Amyot dit Villeneuve. At that time this land remained unworked because of the constant danger of Iroquois raids.
On 19 Jun 1650, he signed a six year lase to Antoine Brassard for three arpents on the Grand-Allee, betwen the properties of Nicolas Marolet and Noel Pinguet. For a certain time he owned some ladn with a half-arpent in frontage on Saint-Michel cove, across from yet another lot on the cliff, which had been ceded to him in the early 1650's. This site, with one and a half arpents in frontage by 20 in depth, opening on the Grand-Alle, was sold to Nicolas Gaudry dit Bourbonniere on 28 Jun 1652 for 600 livres. On 20 Dec of the same year for half this amount, Houde acquired land twice as large as teh seigneurie of Sillery, from Louis Fontaine. On 17 Feb 1653, he sold this land to the same Nicolas Gaudry.
Some two years later, approaching 40, he married a 13 year old girl, Madeleine Boucher.
Louis did not let his marriage interfer with business; he continued to buy and sell land at a rapid rate.
On 27 Jun 1656, he procured a piece of land from Cluade Guyon, four arpents in frontage on the St. Lawrence River, in the parish of Sainte-Famille, in the seigneurie of Lirac, on the Ile D'Orleans. The Houde family moved there, and for nearly a quarter of a century the Ile was their home. This land with 72 arpents in depth, was large enough to let Louis welcome his brother in law Louis-Marin Boucher dit Boisbuisson, to whom he rented half.
In the census of 1666, 1667, and 1681, the Houdes were listed at Sainte-Famille. In the first cnesus they had a 24 year old servant in their service named Florent Lefebvre; the following year they had another named Robert Tourneroche who was 20 years old; at that time the family owned three head of cattle and wroked 17 arpents of land. In 1681 their property had grown to 8 animals and 40 arpents under cultivation.
By the year 1682, the family of eleven childrne had outgrown the capabilty of the land at Sainte-Famille to support them. So on 13 Feb of that year, the Houde family decided to leave their beloved island for a newer and larger estate. The Ursulines of Quebec conceded tehm an immense domain with twelve arpents of frontage in the seigneurie of Sainte-Croix in Lotbiniere. Now the sons could live on their own lots around the paternal house. According to Father Deziel, the parcel fo son Louis opened on the rocky cliffs, hence the surname Houde dit des Roches; Jacques's parcel was ribboned with streams; his descendants woudl bear the surname Desruisseaux. As for Joseph, he was also known as Bellefeuille.
On 9 November 1685, our ancestor sold his land on the Ile d'Oreleans to Abbot Francois Lamy. This was confirmed by a signed receipt on 27 Jul 1686. Later on this land was given to the Dames de la Congregation de Notre-Dame in order to provide them with sufficient revenue to support their school. As for the domain of Sainte-Croix, today it is within the village limits.
On 29 Oct 1709, Louis Houde and Madeleine Boucher took an inventory of their wealth. He died sometime during the year 1712. The registries of Sainte-Croix were destroyed for this era, and no document verifies the exact date of his death. However, he gave the necessary land to construct the first church. In return, he received a lifetime pew from Msgr de Laval. Thus it was from Sainte-Croix that the Houdes emigrated to spread throughout Canada and the U.S.
The nine sons of Louis Houde and Madeleine Boucher were all married. There fore it is not surprising that the head of this family, in orde to avoid the probable scattering of his children, decided in 1682 to acquier teh larger site at Sainte-Croix, where they could both cultivate the soil and fish for eels. As a matter of fact, all the offspring who survived the stay on the Ile d'Orleans settled at Sainte-Croix itself or nearby.
Louis married Madeleine BOUCHER, daughter of Marin BOUCHER and Perrine MALLET, on 12 Jan 1655 in Chateau-Richer, Montmorency, Quebec. (Madeleine BOUCHER was born on 4 Aug 1641 in Chateau-Richer, Montmorency, Quebec and died on 23 Jul 1709 in Ste Crox, Quebec.)
Louis next married Marie LEMAY, daughter of Michel LEMAY DIT LE POUDRIER and Marie DUTEAU, in 1685. (Marie LEMAY was born in 1630.)