Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

John E. Van Eps House

First Built 1751

Franklin St. in Fultonville, Montgomery County, NY


One of the first settlers in this area of Montgomery County was John Evart Van Epps. He bought 900 acres of marshy land along the Mohawk River from Johannes Visger. His land at this time was known as the "Van Epps Swamp". This parcel makes up most of the Village of Fultonville, NY today. During the Revolution, John's house was burned two times by the British army. John fought in the battle of Oriskany and was taken captive for 18 months in Canada. Seven generations of this Van Epps family lived in this house over 200 years. The current structure was built ca. 1800. It is listed in the National Register of Historical Places.

This is the way the house looked back in the 1930's. This photo was found in the Library of Congress Architectural Images Collection.

Here is what the house looks like today.

Above is the historical marker that stands in front of this house on Route 5S in Fultonville.

 

To the right is a picture of a stream near the house.

Back to Family Documents

Back to Index