Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Liz COOK
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 888 - 889
YEALMPTON is a large village and parish in Plympton St. Mary union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1035 inhabitants, and 3537 acres; in the deanery and hundred of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, South Devonshire, 6½ miles east from Plymouth, and 5 south-east from Plympton St. Mary Station, on the South Devon Railway; on the banks of the river Yealm, from whence its name, and on which there is a salmon fishery. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Thomas Huxham Eales, B.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1841, at £307 per annum, with residence and 22 acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the Bishop of Exeter. The rectorial tithes were also commuted at £355 per annum. The church is a fine edifice, dedicated to Saint Bartholomew, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with tower and six bells: it was rebuilt in 1850, with the exception of the tower, by Edmund Rodney Pollexfen Battard, Esq., at an expense of about £7500. The screen dividing the nave and chancel is of carved marble, and the columns between the nave and aisles are in alternate layers of rough and polished marble; the communion table consists of a marble slab in oak frame; the font (one of the finest in the country) is a beautiful carved octagon, supported at each angle by serpentine columns resting on a black base, the whole of Devonshire marble. There are four stained-glass windows, the one in the east end consists of five sections, representing the saints, Bartholomew, Paul, John the Baptist, and John the Evangelist, and underneath each alternate section, St. Bartholomew preaching to the people, the crucifixion of St. Peter, and the beheading of St. Paul; the intervening sections being filled with stained glass only: it is to the memory of E.R.P. Bastard, Esq., who restored the church. There is an ancient brass to the memory of Sir John Crocker, who was standard bearer to Edward IV. In the churchyard is a very ancient and curious stone, supposed to have been raised to the memory of Sipsius, standard bearer to the Saxon King Ethelwolf, whose palace was in this parish. The Wesleyans have a place of worship, and there is a Parochial Scholl for children of both sexes. There is a Police Station and Sessions House, in which the magistrates hold Petty Sessions monthly, and the meetings of the Highway Board are also held there. There is a cattle market on the fourth Wednesday in each month, and a fair annually on the 25th May. There are several charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor.
DUNSTONE, LONGBROOK, LYNEHAM, WILBERTON, and WERSTON are hamlets of this parish.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.