Search billions of records on


Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.


Transcribed by Elizabeth Glover HOWARD

Checked by Val HENDERSON

Pages 396 - 397

  WOOLFARDISWORTHY (commonly called WOOLSWORTHY), is a village and parish in Bideford union, containing, by the census of 1861, 776 inhabitants, and 5798 acres; in the deanery and hundred of Hartland, archdeaconry of Barnstaple, diocese of Exeter, North Devonshire ; 6½ miles south-east from Hartland and 8 south-west from Bideford. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. William Holderness, late chaplain ot the Convict Establishments at Portland and Dartmoor, is valued at £60 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of Mrs. L.E. Hawkes. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with tower and six bells. The Wesleyans and Bible Christians have places of worship here. In 1747, John Burdon left £10, the interest to be distributed amongst the poor annually. Sir G. Stucley is lord of the manor.

BUCK MILLS (the original name of this manor was BOKISH) is a hamlet, partly in this parish and partly in Parkham, in which a new church, dedicated to St. Ann, has been erected and endowed by Mrs. Elwes. The living is a perpetual curacy in the incumbency of the Rev. John Henry Kirwan, M.A., and the patronage of Mrs. Elwes.

Clergy and Gentry.

ELWES Mrs. Walland, Carey

HOLDERNESS Rev. William , The Vicarage

KIRWAN Rev. John Henry, M.A., incumbent of Buck Mills


Trades and Professions

ANDREW Job, tailor and shopkeeper

ANDREW John, farmer, Ashcroft

ANDREW Thomas, farmer, Dipple

BAILEY John, farmer, Satchfield

BARFETT Philip, farmer and miller, Leworthy

BECKLAKE James, farmer, Leworthy

BOND Caleb, farmer, Hole

BOUNDY William, farmer, Marshall

BOUNDY Thomas, farmer, Runland

BRAUND Richard, relieving officer of Hartland District, and sub-postmaster

BURROW Joseph, farmer, Highworthy

BURROW Joseph, farmer, Town

BURROWS Thomas, farmer

CLEVERDON John, carpenter

COLE William, farmer, Huddisford

CORY John, farmer, Ashmanworthy

CREWS John, farmer, Buck mills

DARK Thomas, farmer, Buck`s wood

DAVEY John, mason

DUNN Mrs., farmer, Stroxworthy

EASTERBROOK William, shoemaker and parish clerk

GRIGG John, blacksmith, Buck`s cross

GRIGG William, farmer, Ashmansworthy

HARDING Richard, farmer, Cranford

HEYWOOD Walter, farmer, Walland

HOCKRIDGE John, farmer, West town

HOPGOOD Richard, blacksmith, "Hotel"

HOWARD John, farmer, Bitworthy

LEE Thomas, blacksmith

MAY William, farmer, Little Durdon

MILLMAN John, farmer, Durdon

MOASE James, farmer, Almeston

MOORE Richard, carpenter

NANCEKIVELL William, farmer and miller, Ford mill

PENNINGTON John, miller, Lane mill

PENNINGTON John, shoemaker

PETHERICK Daniel, farmer, South Stroxworthy

PROUSE Charles, farmer, Huddisford

PYMM James, farmer, Clifford

SANDERS William, tailor

SAUNDERS William, farmer, Stroxworthy

SANGUINS John, farmer, Huddisford

SHORT John, farmer, West town

SLEE John, famer, Lane Barton

STEVENS James, farmer, Ashmansworthy

VEAL Joseph, blacksmith and farmer, West moor

WAKLEY Samuel, carpenter

WESTAWAY Thomas, carpenter


Post Office - Richard Braund, sub-postmaster. Letters from Bideford arrive at 11 a.m. ; dispatched at 11.50 a.m. The nearest money order office is at Bideford.


The College - Rev. William Holderness , head master; William Lang, second master; George Bevir, third master

Parochial School - Thomas Cann, master







Please Report any non-working links.

Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.

© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.