Search billions of records on

Wear Gifford.

Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.


Transcribed by David GALE

Checked by Val HENDERSON


Pages 414 - 415

  WEAR GIFFORD is a village and parish in Torrington union, containing, by the census of 1861, 494 inhabitants, and 1587 acres; in the deanery of Hartland, archdeaconry of Barnstaple, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Shebbear, North Devonshire; 3 miles north-west from Torrington, and 4 south from Bideford, pleasantly situated on the east bank of the river Torridge, which abounds with fish; and in the summer this village is a favourite resort of boating parties from Bideford, who frequent the strawberry gardens here. The line of railway now in the course of construction from Bideford to Torrington passes within 100 yards of the village. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. Charles William Sillifant, M.A., is valued at £180 per annum, with residence and six acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of Earl Fortescue. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, with tower and five bells. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was partially endowed by John Lovering in 1671, who also left some charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor of this and other places. This manor was possessed for several centuries by the Gifford family, hence its name. It passed by marriage to the son of the Lord Chancellor, Sir John Fortescue, during the reign of Henry VI., from whom it has descended to Earl Fortescue, who is now lord of the manor, and he and the Hon. Mark Kerr Rolle are the chief landowners.

Clergy and Gentry.

Cooper John Groves, Esq., Wear cottage

Davey Mr. John, Quay cottage

Hackett Miss, Hazel cottage

Hutchinson Chas. Francis, Esq., Wear hall

Jones Henry, Esq.

Lovell Capt. Esdale, Southwood cottage

Slade Mrs., Sunnyside

Trades and Professions.

Alford William, farmer, Hallspill

Bale Edward, shopkeeper

Balsdon John F., farmer, Wear Barton

COOPER JOHN GROVES, land agent and surveyor, and agent for London and Westminster Fire and Life Offices, the City of Glasgow Life Office, and secretary to the Northern Burrows Hotel and Villas Company (limited); and at Grenville street, Bideford

Channings Thomas, farmer, Little Wear

Clark John, carpenter and wheelwright

Cole James, boot and shoemaker

Davey George, mason

Downing Thomas, farmer, Park

Fry John, miller and farmer, Wear mills

Harris Edwin, farmer, Southcot Barton

Kidwell Mrs. Ann, farmer, Venton

Lake Thomas, farmer, Huxwell

Parkhouse William, farmer

Parr John, boot and shoemaker, and sub-postmaster

Shapland John, National schoolmaster

Short Thomas, tailor, The Quay

Short William, parish clerk

Tout Edward, farmer, Huxwell

Tucker David, blacksmith

Wilton Thomas, farmer, Little Wear

Wilton William, farmer, Cleave


Post Office - John Parr, sub-postmaster. Letters from Great Torrington arrive at 9 a.m.; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Great Torrington is the nearest money order office.


National School - John Shapland, master; Mrs. Shapland, mistress.







Updated 13/12/01

Please Report any non-working links.

Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.

© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.