Plympton St. Maurice.
Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by Robert ROWLAND
Pages 849 - 850
PLYMPTON ST. MAURICE ( otherwise PLYMPTON EARL, or ERLE) is a parish and small market town in Plympton St. Mary union, containing by the census of 1861, 900 inhabitants, and 373 acres; in the deanery and hundred of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, South Devonshire; 5 1\2 miles east of Plymouth, 39 south-west from Exeter, 210 from London, and about half-a-mile from the Plympton St. Mary Station, on the South Devon Railway. It was formerly one of the Stannery towns, a borough by prescription, and returned two members to Parliament from the time of Edward I.; it was also a municipal borough, and a charter was granted in the fourth William and Mary, incorporating it under the name of " the Mayor, Bailiff, and Burgesses of the Borough of Plympton-Earl," and appointed a mayor, nine capital burgesses or aldermen, with recorder, town clerk, &c. It was disfranchised by the Reform Act of 1832.
The TOWN HALL, which was erected in 1696, has been sold by the old corporation to a Joint Stock Company, and is now used for lectures, concerts, &c.
This place is noted as being the birthplace of the celebrated painter, Sir Joshua Reynolds, whose father was the head master of the Grammar School here. A portrait of Sir Joshua, painted by himself, formerly hung in the Town Hall.
The CHURCH, which was originally dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury, was a chantry attached to Plympton St. Mary, and was rebuilt in 1440. On the dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII., it was re-dedicated to St. Maurice, and now consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and tower containing six bells. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Roger Smith, M.A., is valued at £100 per annum, without residence, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The Independents have a place of worship here.
The GRAMMAR SCHOOL is a fine building, which was erected in 1664, under the trusts of the will of Mrs. Elizabeth Hele*, who bequeathed £1800 for its erection and endowment. There is a great market on the first Monday of each month, and cattle fairs are held on the 26th February, 6th April, 13th August, and 29th October.
Clergy and Gentry.
Arscott John Strode, Esq.
Buller Chas. Reginald, Esq.,J.P., Earl hall
Crook Rev. Cornelius H., B.A.
Elford Mr. Thomas
Ellery Richard, Esq.
Erskine Mrs. Elizabeth
Forster Miss Harriet
Jones Miss Maria
Julian Mr. John
Langworthy Southmead, Esq.
Lavers Mr. William
Lowcay Mr. William George
Miles George, Esq.
Miners William H., Esq.
Moysey Mrs. Elizabeth
Pode The Misses, Castle cottage
Pode Stephen Henry, Esq.
Radcliffe Mrs., Sydney house
Reparth Mr. William
Rowe Joshua, Esq.
Rowe Mrs. William
Rummin George, Esq.
Rustan Capt. William
Smith Rev. Roger, M.A., rector, Plympton lodge
Veale Mr. George
Watt Mrs., Ridgway house
Woollcombe William John, Esq.
Trades and Professions.
Andrew John, auctioneer and surveyor
Andrew Robert, parish clerk and gardener
Arscott John Strode, solicitor
Brown Thomas, tanner and farmer
Chaffe Richard, carpenter
Cole William James, purser, P. and O. Co.
Condy Mrs. William, lodginghouse
Creber Thomas, grocer
Crews Henry, brewer
Crooke Rev. Cornelius H., B.A., head master of Grammar School
Ellery Dr. Richard, surgeon
Folley William, shopkeeper
Foxworthy Richard, tailor
Goss William, carrier
Haddy John, grocer and baker
Hambly Samuel, cowkeeper
Heal John, miller, Priory mills
Hellings William, carpenter
Hicks Thomas, sergeant of police
Jerman Samuel, postmaster, collector of assessed taxes, stamp distributor, and agent for the Albion Life Office
Jones George, academy
Kenting Joseph, lodgings
Kingsland William, "London" inn
Langmaid Christopher, blacksmith
Langworthy Southmead, surgeon, and proprietor of Lunatic Asylum
Lavers James, blacksmith
MADDOCK BENJAMIN, shoeing and general smith, bellhanger, plumber, and stove grate manufacturer
MARTIN JOHN, pharmaceutical chemist and druggist, grocer and tea dealer
Miles and Scobell, surgeons
Newt John, commercial traveller
Parish Henry, builder
Pearse Joseph, farmer and butcher
Pinches Miss Barbara, seminary
Pode Stephen H., surgeon
Soper Henry, lodgings
Soper William John, "Castle" inn
Soper William, shoemaker
Stephens Josias, farmer
Stephens William, cattle dealer
Tolman Abraham, twinemaker
Turner Thomas, shopkeeper
Warren William, grocer
Webber Henry, carpenter
Webber Richard, carpenter
Post Office - Samuel Jerman, sub-postmaster.
Letters through Ridgway delivered at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 11.25 a.m. and 6.10 p.m.; on Sundays at 10.40 a.m. only. Ridgway is the nearest money order office.
St. Maurice Church - Rev. Roger Smith, M.A., rector
Grammar School - Rev. Cornelius H. Crooke, B.A., head master
Police Station - Thomas Hicks, sergeant.
* It should read Mr. Elizaeus Hele or Heale. He was a very wealthy man who died without children and left his fortune for good works around the County. (Information from Robert ROWLAND)
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids