Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Deborah O'BRIEN
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 839 - 840
MEAVY is a parish and village in Tavistock union, containing, by the census of 1861, 269 inhabitants, and 3289 acres; in the deanery of Tamerton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Roborough, South Devonshire; 7 miles south-east from Tavistock, and 10 north-east from Plymouth, near the borders of Dartmoor Forest, on the small River Mew, a feeder of the Plym, from which its name is derived. The rectory, in the incumbency of the Rev. John Abbott, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1839, at £224 10s. per annum, and has residence and 23 acres of glebe land; it is in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is of the 14th century, and consists of nave, chancel, north aisle and south transept, with tower and six bells. The Baptists have a place of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes. The Meavy China Clay Company (limited), have a bed of clay in this parish, which is floated in a liquid state through pipes about 1½ miles into the adjoining parish of Shaugh Prior, in which the manufactory is carried on. The late Sir Ralph Lopes left the interest of £300 to be divided among the poor annually. Sir Massey Lopes, Bart., is Lord of the manor, and he and Sir T.T.F.E. Drake, are the principal landowners. An old mansion in this parish was once the residence of Sir Francis Drake.
BRISWORTHY (which is a contraction of BRITTISWORTHY), GOODAMEAVY, 2 miles south-west, HOMEAVY, 1 mile west, and LOETON**, three-quarters of a mile south-east, are hamlets of this parish.
** LOETON should read LOVETON
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.