Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors Contact.
Transcribed by Jack STEER
Checked by Val HENDERSON
LODDISWELL is a village and parish in Kingsbridge union, containing, by the census of 1861, 899 inhabitants, and 3568 acres, including the parish of Buckland-tout-Saints; in the deanery of Woodleigh, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Stanborough, South Devonshire; 3 miles north-west from Kingsbridge; pleasantly situated on rising ground on the north side of the river Avon. This river was formerly noted for its plentiful supply of salmon, which of late years had so materially decreased, that a society was formed for its preservation, whose efforts have been successful, and salmon again abounds in its waters. The vicarage, with the chapelry of Buckland-Tout-Saints annexed, had the tithes commuted, in 1838, at £261 per annum, and has residence and 111 acres of glebe land; it is in the incumbency of the Rev. Henry Townend, B.A., and the patronage of Mrs. Townend. The rectorial tithes were also commuted at £281 per annum; the trustees of the Freke family are the impropriators. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, was principally erected in the fifteenth century, but portions of it appear to be of a much earlier date. It was thoroughly restored, by subscription, in 1868, and two handsome stained glass windows added - one in the transept representing St. Michael and the two patron saints of the diocese: it is by Beer, of Exeter, and was presented by Miss Wise of Ide; the other window, in the east end, is by Baillie , of London, and is a copy of West's picture of "Christ blessing little children." The Independents have a place of worship here, which was erected in 1864; and there are National and British Schools for children of both sexes. There is a Reading and News Room, which was established by the late R. Peck, Esq., in 1839, who also provided means for the poor to have medical attendance free at this place once a week. In 1725 Richard Phillips devised a house and lands for the benefit of the poor and the repairs of the church, from the proceeds of which about £50 per annum is annually distributed at Easter upon his tombstone in the church. There are also other charities for the relief of the poor and the repairs of the church.
BLACKDOWN HILL, at the north end of the parish, was evidently a Roman encampment. Copper mines were formerly worked here, but are now discontinued. Yellow ochre is manufactured from the soil of this down.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids