Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Val HENDERSON
Checked by Arthur FRENCH
Pages 514 - 515
KINGSKERSWELL (or CARSWELL) is a village and parish in Newton Abbot union, containing, by the census of 1861, 903 inhabitants, and 1744 acres; in the deanery of Ipplepen, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Haytor, East Devonshire, on the Torquay branch of the South Devon Railway, at which it has a station; 2½ miles south from Newton Abbot, and 3 north from Tor Station. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. George Morris, M.A., is valued at £105 per annum, with residence and seven acres of glebe land, and is in the patronage of the vicar of St. Mary Church. The church is a picturesque edifice, dedicated to St. Mary, in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, north and south aisles and tower, with western turret containing five bells and a clock; in the interior are several monuments of the Dynham family. The priest's chamber, which is over the north porch, is now used as a vestry.A beautiful stream of water runs on the south side of the churchyard, and adjoining the churchyard are the ruins of an ancient castle, once the seat of the Dynham (or Denham) family. The Baptists and Wesleyans have places of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes. There are some small charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor. Henry Langford Brown, Esq., is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids