Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Peter RUTHERFORD
Checked by Val HENDERSON
Pages 820 - 822
IVYBRIDGE is a village and ecclesiastical district, formed in 1836 out of the parishes of Cornwood and Ermington, in Plympton St. Mary union, and Ugborough in Totnes union, and contained, by the census of 1861, in Cornwood, 68; in Ermington, 1024; and in Ugborough, 256 inhabitants, making a total population in the ecclesiastical district of 1348; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Ermington, South Devonshire, on the South Devon Railway, at which it has a station, 11 miles east from Plymouth, and 34 south-west from Exeter; situate in a romantic dell, formed by the river Erme, which empties itself into Bigbury Bay about 7 miles below. The name is derived from an ancient bridge covered with ivy, which crosses the river here, and the romantic scenery of the neighbourhood and the salubrious climate attracts numerous visitors during the summer season. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the incumbency of the Rev. George Thomas Kingdon, M.A., valued at £140 per annum, and is in the alternate patronage of Lady Rogers and W. Cotton, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. John, was originally erected in 1790, as a chapel-of-ease, and was consecrated as a district church in 1835; it is a neat edifice, consisting of nave and chancel with tower. The Independents and Wesleyans have places of worship here, and there is a National School for children of both sexes. Lady Rogers is lady of the manor. The Independent Chapel is a neat edifice, in the Gothic style, which was erected in 1869; it is built of local and Bath stone and white sea Moor bricks. The interior is fitted with open seats, stained and varnished, with an open timbered roof. At the back of the chapel is a vestry, over which is the singing gallery, and galleries can be added to the chapel if required. It is fifty feet long by thirty feet wide, and contains sittings for about 230 people, and is lighted by seven star pendants. The cost of the building, inclusive of the site, was about £700. Messrs. Ambrose and Snell were the architects, and Messrs Cornish and Watts, of Ivybridge, the builders. The extensive paper mills of Messrs. Allen and Son are situate here, which give employment to a great number of hands, and there are tin and lead mines in the neighbourhood.
Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.
© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.