Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Ipplepen

Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

 Please notify me of any errors. Contact.

 

Transcribed by Val HENDERSON

Checked by Arthur FRENCH

Pages 513 - 514

  IPPLEPEN is a parish and village in Newton Abbot union, including the chapelry of WOODLAND, and containing, by the census of 1861, in Ipplepen, 808 inhabitants, and 3069 acres; and in Woodland, 169 inhabitants, and 1606 acres; making a total for the whole parish of 977 inhabitants, and 4675 acres of land; in the deanery to which it gives its name, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Haytor, East Devonshire; 3 miles south from Newton Abbot, and 5 miles north-east from Totnes. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Harris, M.A., is valued at £130 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, who are also the appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which formerly belonged to the Alien Abbey of St. Peter, which was established here in 1274, they were seized by the Crown and given to the College of Ottery St. Mary, and on the dissolution, with the advowson of the vicarage, were presented to the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The chuch is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Andrew, consisting of nave, north and south aisles, and chancel, with tower 92 feet high, containing six bells. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here, with schoolroom attached, the foundation stone of which was laid on the 6th June 1865, by the late Rev. W. R. Camidge, and the chapel was opened for divine service at Midsummer 1866. J. Wm. Rowell, Esq., of Newton Abbot, was the architect. There is a National School for children of both sexes; a site has been given by Henry Studdy. Esq., for the erection of a new one; and about £400 promised for that purpose. There are some small charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor.

DAIGNTON, one mile; COMBE FISHACRE, 1½ mile; with CASTLEFORD adjoining, are hamlets of this parish.

Clergy and Gentry.

Bastard Segar, Esq., Church park

Beavis John, Esq., Mount pleasant

Birch Downard, Esq., Combe house, Combe Fishacre

Bishop Mrs.

Blackler Mr. William

Bluett Frederick W.D., Esq., Archers

Bowden John, Esq., Park hill

Briscoe Musgrave H., Esq., Ambrook house

Camidge Mrs. Esther, Rose Mount

Doyle Mrs. Anna, Rectory

Drake Miss Mary

Elson Samuel Spencer, Esq., North End

Erskine Mrs. D. H., Combe Fishacre

Ferris Mr. William

Hare Mrs., North End villa

Harris Rev. Robert, M.A., Vicarage

Harwood Mr. Thomas, Wesley villa

Hellyer Captain James

Lang Mrs. Cecilia

Lee Mr. John, R.N., Anchor cottage

Manley Henry, Esq., Tor view

Rose John, Esq., Rectory

Yelland Mr. Joseph

Yelland Mr. William

Trades and Professions.

Ager Richard, beer retailer

Bacon Mrs. Mary, dressmaker

Ballhatcher Thos., shopkeeper and carrier

Berry Samuel, farmer, Rose Mount farm

Bovey James, thatcher

Bovey Miss Mary, grocer

Bovey Samuel, farmer, Dainton

Bovey Thos., butcher and timbermerchant

Bovey William, thatcher and sub-postmaster

Cawling*** Nicholas, tin-plateworker

Clements Charles, manager to the Devonshire Limestone and Marble Company, Wrigwell house

Cload William, tailor

Counter John, shoemaker

Cowling William, blacksmith

Curtis Mrs. Elizabeth, laundress

Dyer Richard, farmer, Lylesford

Easterbrook William, farmer

Emmett John, farmer

Farley James, carpenter

Foale George C., farmer, Combe Fishacre

Gillard John, farmer

Harvey Miss Margaret, dressmaker

Heyward William, farmer, Combe Fishacre

Hodge James, grocer and assistant overseer, "Wellington"

Hooper George, farmer

Hunt Thomas, farmer, Dainton house

Langler James, wheelwright

Langler William, carpenter

Lee Henry, day school

Lee Joseph, traveling teadealer

Lee William, miller, Bickley mill

Luscombe Albert, butcher

Luscombe William, baker and carrier

Maddicott James, blacksmith

Maddicott William, blacksmith

Manley Henry, surgeon, Tor view

Nicholas John, farmer

Sampson Richard, farmer, Bickley farm

Smerdon Charles, master mariner

Smerdon Robert, farmer, South End farm

Smith John, "Plough"

Smith John and Son, millwrights

Smith Robert, shoemaker

Sowton William, farmer, Dainton

Stentiford James, farmer, New House, Barton

Symons Edward H., farmer, Bulleigh Barton

Tozer John, farmer, Bow

Tucker Wm., Allen, farmer, Wave* Barton

Vickery Robert, baker

Widdicombe Thomas, farmer, Apton**

Winsor Miss Mary, shopkeeper

~

Post Office - Wm. Bovey, sub-postmaster. Letters from Newton Abbot arrive at 8.40 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m.; on Sundays at 10.30 a.m. Newton Abbot is the nearest money order office

~

National School - Mrs. Mary Tolchard, mistress

Wesleyan School - John Curnow, master.

~

Carriers - Thomas Ballhatchet and William Luscombe, to Newton Abbot, Wednesday and Saturday

 

Transcript notes.

* should be WAYE Barton not Wave

** should be APTOR not Apton

*** CAWLING should be Cowling

 

IPPLEPEN OPC PAGE

DEVON GENUKI IPPLEPEN PAGE

TOP

MY HOME PAGE

RETURN TO 1870 LIST

Updated 20/11/01

Please Report any non-working links.

Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.

© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.