Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed by Kevin BROWN
Checked By Val HENDERSON
HOLBETON is a village and parish in Plympton St. Mary union, containing, by the census of 1861, 963 inhabitants, and 4748 acres; in the deanery of Plympton, archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Ermington, South Devonshire; 4½ miles west from Modbury, 5½ south-east from Ivybridge Railway Station, an 10 south-east from Plymouth, near the banks of the river Erm, on an eminence about 2 miles from the sea coast at Bigbury Bay. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Courtenay James Cooper Bulteel, M.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1839, at £340 15s. per annum, with residence and four acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of the Crown. The rectorial tithes were also commuted at £499 per annum. The church is an ancient cruciform edifice, dedicated to All Saints, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and tower with six bells, and contains a fine ancient carved oak screen, which divides the aisles from the chancel, and formerly extended across the whole church. The chancel was thoroughly restored in 1868-9, by John Bulteel, Esq., and family, the flooring inside the alter railings, as well as the sides, being tastefully decorated with encaustic tiles, and some handsome stained glass windows, have been added, one of which, in the Membland aisle, being presented by Frederick Keeling, Esq., of Colchester. There is a National School for boys, and another for girls, the latter being supported by John Bulteel Esq. The Baptist, Brethren, and Primitive Methodists have places of worship here. William Francis Splatt and J. D. Lewis Esqs., are the chief landowners.
MOTHECOMBE is a hamlet of this parish, in which there is a Coastal Guard Station.
FORD and CREACOMBE are also hamlets of this parish.
PAMFLETE, the seat of John Bulteel, Esq., is a fine old mansion, most picturesquely situated, near the mouth of the River Erme.
FLETE OUSE, is a fine ancient mansion, the property of William Francis Splatt, Esq., which is considerably enlarged and improved in 1836.