Search billions of records on Ancestry.com
   

Hartland

Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870

Please notify me of any errors. Contact.

 

Transcribed by Elizabeth Glover HOWARD

Checked by Val HENDERSON

Pages 407 - 409

  HARTLAND is an extensive parish, formerly a market town, in Bideford union, containing, by the Census of 1861 , 1916 inhabitants, and 16700 acres ; in the deanery and hundred to which it gives the name, archdeaconry of Torrington, diocese of Exeter, North Devonshire; 13 miles west from Bideford and 2 miles from the Bristol Channel at Hartland Point, a bold promonitory extending into the ocean beyond Lundy Island, from whence it is the nearest landing place. The vicarage, in the patronage and incumbency of the Rev. Thomas How Chope, B.A., is valued at £250 per annum, with residence and 5½ acres of glebe land. The governors of the Charter House, London, are impropriators of the rectorial tithes. The church of St. Nectan, which formerly belonged to a monastery dedicated to that saint, founded here by Githa, wife of Earl Godwin, is a fine cruciform edifice, consisting of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and a noble tower 128 feet high from its base to the pinnacles, which rise another 16 feet, containing six bells, and it serves as a landmark to mariners. In the interior, on the south side, are a handsome sedilia and piscina . The church is situate about 1½ miles from the town, in the hamlet of Stoke, and for the accommodation of the inhabitants of the town the old market house, in 1839, was fitted up and licenced as a chapel-of-ease. The Bible Christians, Independents, and Wesleyans have places of worship here. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was erected by Sir George Stucley, Bart., who is lord of the manor and chief owner of the soil.

STOKE is a hamlet 1½ mile from thence, which contains the parish church. ELMSCOTT,* 3 ½ miles ; HARDISWORTHY 3½ miles ; GALSHAM, 2 miles; MILFORD, 3 miles ; and SOUTH HOLE, 4 miles; are also hamlets of this parish.

Clergy and Gentry.

ASHTON Mrs.

CARTER Daniel Dennis, Esq.

CHOPE Rev. Thomas How, B.A., The Vicarage

CLEVERDON John Cole Matthews, Esq., Berry

COOPER Captain William J., Lower Velly

DENNIS Mr. William, Brownsham

HAYNES James L., Esq., Blagdon

HAYNES John, Esq., Milford House

LITTLEJOHNS Miss

PRUST Mr. Edward

ROWE Charles Henry, Esq., Moor cottage

ROWE William, Esq., Down house

SOUCH Mr. Richard

STEPHENS Rev. Ebenezer, (Independent)

STUCLEY Lieut.-Col. William Lewis, J.P., The Abbey, Stoke

VINE William, Esq.

Trades and Professions.

ASHTON William, boot and shoemaker

AVERY John, farmer, Faracott

BAILEY John, carpenter

BARTLETT Thomas, farmer, Higher Velly

BEER John, boot and shoemaker

BOND John, painter and glazier

BRAUND Thomas, sculptor

BRIGHT James, watchmaker

BRIGHT Mrs. J., day school

BRIMACOMBE CHARLES, lime-burner, farmer, maltster, agent for artificial manures, and general merchant, The Quay

BRITON John, blacksmith, Elmscot*

BURROW George, tailor

BURROW Thomas, "West Country " inn

BURROW William, farmer, Hindharton;h. Myrtle cottage

BUSE Joseph, boot and shoemaker

CANN Mrs. Mary, grocer and draper

CANN William, mason and parish clerk

CHOPE Thomas, farmer, Farford

CHOPE William, farmer, Escott

CLEVERTON Thomas, farmer, Beckland

COLE Matthew, yeoman, Berry

COLVILLE John, farmer, Fire Beacon

COLVILLE Thomas, farmer, Tosberry

COLVILLE William, farmer, Meaddon

COLWILL Thomas, carrier

CONGDON Daniel Henry, farmer, Stoke Barton

COOK Charles, carrier

COOK Thomas, farmer, Warmley

CORY Miss Betsy, shopkeeper

CORY James, farmer, Kermstone

COURTIS John, farmer, Bursden

CURTIS Richard, carpenter

DAYMAN John, farmer, Philham

DAYMAN Thomas, smith, Stoke

DENNIS WIlliam, farmer, Milford

EDWARDS Adams, chemist, grocer, newsagent, and agent to the Caledonian Fire and Life Insurance Company

EDWARDS Mrs. A., Honiton lace manufacturer

FERGUSON Robert, Inland Revenue officer, Quay terrace

FULFORD James, gardener

FULFORD Richard, farmer, Trelick

GEORGE Edward, farmer, Holoford

GOAMAN Samuel, farmer, Elmscot*

GOAMAN Thomas, boot and shoemaker, and shopkeeper, Elmscot*

GOAMAN William, farmer, Watergap

HAYWARD James Cook, farmer, Highford

HEAL John, wheelwright

HEARD John, butcher

HEARD Peter, farmer, Natcott

HEARD Richard, "Anchor" inn

HEARD Richard, butcher and shopkeeper

HEARD Richard, farmer, Philham

HEARD Thomas , farmer East Tidchberry

HEARD William, farmer, Lutsford

HOBB Richard, farmer, Exmandworthy**

HOBBS John, farmer, Philham

HOCKERIDGE John, farmer, Southdown

HOCKING William, farmer, Yapham

HOGG Thomas, "King`s Arms" commercial inn and Inland Revenue Office

HOOPER Joseph, yeoman, Blegberry

HOPKINS Samuel, blacksmith, Rosedon

HOPPER John, farmer, Putshole

HOPPER Richard, farmer, Wembsworthy

HOWARD Thomas, farmer, Hardisworthy

JEFFERY John, farmer, Long Furlong

JEFFREY John, farmer, Milford

JEFFERY Mrs. Mary, dressmaker, Stoke

JEFFERY John, farmer,. Loveland

JENKIN Miss Jane, shopkeeper

JONES Henry, farmer, Forswell

KALLAWAY William , builder

KNIGHT James, farmer and miller, Chranham mill

LITTLEJOHN William, farmer, Eddistone

LITTLEJOHN William, farmer, True

MOORE Edward, farmer, Leigh

MOORE James, farmer, West Yagland

MOORE Richard, mason

MOORE William, farmer, Greenlake

MOUNTJOY William, farmer, Wargery

NEWTON Daniel, farmer, Docton

OKE William, farmer, South Hole

PARSONS John, blacksmith

PENNINGTON Benjamin , farmer, Exmansworthy**

PENNINGTON William, farmer, Little Barton

PICKARD Thomas, miller

POOLEY William, shopkeeper and tailor

PROUSE Charles, "New Inn"

PROUSE James, farmer, East Yagland

PROUSE James, farmer, Staddon

PROUSE William , farmer, Meaddon

PROUSE William, farmer, Welsford

PRUST Daniel, farmer, Cherrystow

PRUST Richard, farmer

PRUST William and Co., grocers and drapers

RANDLE John, farmer

ROLFE Henry, yeoman, Norton

ROWE James, farmer, Down

ROWE James Somar, farmer, Down farm

SHEARM Edward, farmer, Mettaford

SHUTT John, farmer, Deptford

SOUTHWOOD Thomas, "Bear" inn, Stoke

STONE Mrs. Betty, farmer, Cherrystow

TREWIN Thomas, miller

TRICK Thomas, ironmonger and farmer

VINE John, farmer, Patheard

VINE Michael, yeoman, North Hole

VINE William , surgeon

WALTER Thomas, farmer, Galsham

WILLIAMS Mrs. E., shopkeeper

WILLIAMS John, "Mariners' " hotel, The Quay

~

Post office and Postal Telegraph Office - Miss Margaret Buse, postmistress. Letters from Bideford arrive at 11 a.m. ; dispatched at 2.50.p.m.. Money orders granted and paid and Savings Bank business transacted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

~

Inland Revenue Office, King's Arms - Robt. Ferguson, officer

~

National School - William Rumble, master ; Miss Mary Edmonds, mistress.

~

Carriers - Charles Cook and Thomas Colwill, to Bideford, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

 

 

Transcript Notes

* noted spelling variation 'Elmscott' and 'Elmscot'

** noted spelling variation 'Exmansworthy' and 'Exmandworthy'

 

HARTLAND OPC PAGE

DEVON GENUKI HARTLAND PAGE

TOP

MY HOME PAGE

RETURN TO 1870 LIST

Updated 24/11/01

Please Report any non-working links.

Please feel free to use the information on this page for your own personnel research, but please DO NOT use it for commercial purposes or financial gain. Thankyou.

© 2001 Transcriber and Checker as named above.