Transcribed from - Morris and Co.'s Commercial Directory and Gazetteer. 1870
Please notify me of any errors. Contact.
Transcribed By Sybil CAMERON
Checked by Val HENDERSON
HARBERTON is a village and parish in Totnes union, containing, by the census of 1861, 1221 inhabitants, and 5755 acres; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Totnes, diocese of Exeter, hundred of Coleridge, East Devonshire; 2 ½ miles south-west from Totnes. The vicarage, in the incumbency of the Rev. Robert Bartholomew, B.A., had the tithes commuted, in 1847, at £535 per annum, with residence and 74 acres of glebe, and is in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Exeter, who are also appropriators of the rectorial tithes, which were commuted at £400 per annum. The church is a fine ancient edifice, in the Decorated style, with noble tower containing six bells; in the interior is a handsome octagon stone pulpit, with figures of the Apostles carved on the sides. There is a National School for children of both sexes. There are 11 houses and cottages with gardens, and 18 acres of land, producing about £48 per annum, which is expended in the service of the church, in lieu of church rates, and in the repairs of the schoolhouse. William Huxham, in 1630, left a blacksmiths shop, orchard, and garden, which produce £8 per annum, the proceeds to be applied for the benefit of the poor. There are almshouses for ten poor people, which were erected under the trusts of the will of Henry Wyse, about 1680. There are also other small charitable bequests for the benefit of the poor. Here is a rock of trapstone, so hard as to resist the power of the masons chisel. The manorial rights are the property of the various freeholders.
HARBERTONFORD is a hamlet of this parish, which was formed into a separate ecclesiastical district in 1860. The church is a neat edifice, dedicated to St. Peter, and was erected in 1859. The living is a vicarage, valued at £170 per annum, with residence, in the incumbency of the Rev. Alexander Popham Luscombe, B.A., and the patronage of the Vicar of Harberton. There is a National School for children of both sexes, which was erected in 1859, and the Independents have a place of worship here. The extensive tool manufactory of Messrs. Knapman and Son is situate at Hill Mills, and there is a small woollen factory, both of which are on the banks of the River Harbourn. There is also a slate quarry here.
BELSFORD, LUSCOMBE, EAST and WEST LEIGH, and ENGLEBOUNE*, are hamlets forming part and parcel of this parish.
ENGLEBOUNE - the R has been omitted.
Marramore - Should this read Narramore?
Census Records | Vital Records | Family Trees & Communities | Immigration Records | Military Records Directories & Member Lists | Family & Local Histories | Newspapers & Periodicals | Court, Land & Probate | Finding Aids